PDA

View Full Version : Combat

AnimePunk
Sat, 11-19-2005, 08:46 PM
What I am trying to say is. What types of anime battles do you like?

example: magic vs magic
sword vs sword
Gun showdown
gundam battles
hand to hand
and so on

i dont know if this should be under General Anime
well Sorry if i have broken any rules

The Heretic Azazel
Sat, 11-19-2005, 08:53 PM
I have to say I really hate mech battles in almost every instance, except for Big O which I thought had a stronger plot to support it and the mechs were secondary. I like hand to hand, especially when there's a lot of strategy and explanations given.

Darknodin
Sat, 11-19-2005, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by: The Heretic Azazel
I have to say I really hate mech battles in almost every instance, except for Big O which I thought had a stronger plot to support it and the mechs were secondary. I like hand to hand, especially when there's a lot of strategy and explanations given.

well... i second that (in a way)... haven't seem Big O, but FMP was like that, making everything much more enjoyable...
as for the topic... i like any kind of battle as long as its well animated (doesn't mean I like the show though)... hand to hand and swords seem to be the most spectacular (for me anyways)

nests
Sun, 11-20-2005, 01:11 AM
Hand to hand is defently the best I also like sword vs sword but there are few anime who can deliver a good sword vs sword fight some of the best were though were in Samurai Champloo
one more thing, a hand to hand and a sword vs sword fight can look great on manga but if the director of the anime doesnt do it right it can just ruin it

Kraco
Sun, 11-20-2005, 03:28 AM
Sword. Hand to hand aren't bad either. However, I often find troubling the "honorable" ways of anime battles: Enemies attack one by one. Even rightfully gained openings are left unused; instead people just wait for the opponent to regain his composure and defensive pose once again, before attacking (even if they are fighting for their very life).

To mention a show, which left a positive impression, I would say Berserk had pretty enjoyable fights.

kenren
Sun, 11-20-2005, 03:54 AM
i love sword x sword.
like Bleach , the swords can transform into stronger swords

LaZie
Sun, 11-20-2005, 04:21 AM
yu-gi-oh i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

aznimperialx
Sun, 11-20-2005, 08:32 AM
sword v sword i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

kAi
Sun, 11-20-2005, 09:09 AM
Yeah, a big fan of the sword battles, and hand to hand would be a very close second.

Series such as Berserk and Samurai Champloo really make it good.

Also there is good hand to hand and gun battles, take Cowboy Bebop for example.

masamuneehs
Sun, 11-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Honestly it really depends for me on what fits the situation best. I certainly hate the 'honorable' battles where attackers come one at a time, rather than overwhelming their foes. I also have problems in general with how dialogue is transmitted during battles. It doesn't make sense, talking to your opponent while fighting... seriously, it's a huge give-away and sounds soooo unnatural half the time.

That being said, I can enjoy almost every level of combat as long as it has some element of strategy and accurate representation of character's power. I HATE one sided fights, which was one of the hugest problems in Gundam Seed Destiny, Gundam Wing and has come to that point in Naruto...

I like mecha battles, but senseless fighting is just "Ohh that was cool" rather than when (as other's have said) you have a personal or storyline element attached to the fight so you go "Holy shit that was awesome he totally owned that loser!" I like the strategy that is often played out in futuristic battles (Legend of Galactic Heroes, older Gundams) which seems to be much more advanced than the one-on-one sword duels that are so popular, often a matter of reflexes.

chubakka
Sun, 11-20-2005, 05:50 PM
I'm a fan of any battle that involves either a good display of strategy (rurouni kenshin) or display an incredible amount of skill (bleach, recently)... Hmm, I don't quite remember, but I remember enjoying some of the magic vs. magic battles as well... (Bastard). Mecha battles are always good too i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

But my favorite of all these has to be a combination of any of these. aka....using hand to hand combat while using swords / magic

Board of Command
Sun, 11-20-2005, 05:58 PM
Magic vs magic, like FMA

XanBcoo
Sun, 11-20-2005, 06:12 PM
Alchemy isn't magic...it's science i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

I'm mostly a fan of sword/sword battles. They're my favorite.
Close behind that are hand to hand battles with cool shit involved (like Naruto, and...yes, DBZ)
The only gun battles I liked in anime were Vash's final fight w/Knives in Trigun.

Also in Bebop w/Spike and Viscious. But technically that was a sword vs. gun battle.

The only two mecha shows I like are Eva and Big O.

I'd also have to list another crossover - gun vs. hand, or sword vs. hand, where one party completely slaughters the other.

Board of Command
Sun, 11-20-2005, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by: XanBcoo
Alchemy isn't magic...it's science

Alchemy isn't science, it's scientifically proven to be impossible. Only in a world of magic would it be possible.

Uchiha Barles
Sun, 11-20-2005, 07:40 PM
I like most well animated combat and am hardpressed to come up with a favorite type. But if I had to, I'd say
1)melee (hand to hand, hand to sword, sword to sword, whatever, close combat, no projectiles)
2) long range (magic to magic, gun to gun, magic to gun, bows, arrows, etc)

Come to think of it, my favorite are mixed fights where both long range and melee are used. Hunter x Hunter, DBZ, YuYu Hakusho, Naruto, Scryed, Scrapped Princess, all of those had fantastic fighting.

Mae
Sun, 11-20-2005, 08:47 PM
My definate favorite would be a sword fight, both in anime and old samurai movies. Nothing like a really well done sword fight. Although I've enjoyed some hand to hand fighting and gun battles too. Also, I have this inexplicable fondness for giant robots. I don't know what it is, most girls I know that are into anime don't like gundam much (except for the pilots), but they make me smile. It must be the explosions. The rational part of me is thinking about how stupid and impractical they are, but another part is like, "Oh.... explosions.... pretty...." :p Just as long as they're NOT PINK DAMMIT!!!

Deadfire
Sun, 11-20-2005, 10:53 PM
I like the fights more if they include all of what you have there (I.E Guns pairing off against magic using Sword users when doing flips and shit in the air)

aznroyale
Sun, 11-20-2005, 10:56 PM
sword vs sword

Hakeem_21
Sun, 11-20-2005, 11:25 PM
I enjoy hand to hand most but Sword fighting specaily in samurai movies are close second. Recently i watched Azumi and Azumi 2 who had awesome sword fighting.

Nai
Mon, 11-21-2005, 12:19 AM
I really like hand to hand when it's more about finesse than brute strength.

Nothing wrong with sword battles, magic duels or giant robots dishing it out either.

Hakeem_21
Mon, 11-21-2005, 12:21 AM
I dont think anynone likes hand to hand when its brute strength, finess,thecnique is what makes hand to hand combat good.

In most hand to hand sports the thecs are what makes them good.

XanBcoo
Mon, 11-21-2005, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by: BOARD_of_command

Originally posted by: XanBcoo
Alchemy isn't magic...it's science

Alchemy isn't science, it's scientifically proven to be impossible. Only in a world of magic would it be possible.
I'm aware of that. That's what the "i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif" was for.

EpyonNext
Mon, 11-21-2005, 04:59 AM
Women - large breasts - scantly clad - jello wrestling.

That is all.