PDA

View Full Version : Cure For aids?

Uchiha Barles
Fri, 11-18-2005, 12:36 AM
Here's a link to the article, its old, and there are plenty of variables involved but this is still a potentially history changing development.

aids cured (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4432564.stm)

Why this dude is being so selfish is beyond me.

Xollence
Fri, 11-18-2005, 12:51 AM
I'm sure he's eventually going to get tested.

el_boss
Fri, 11-18-2005, 05:55 AM
What a prick. I bet it was just a fluke and he has gotten the codition again. That's probably why he won't get tested again, 'cause he knows he still has HIV and he wants to get famous or whatever. I just want to make clear that HIV and AIDS are not the same thing, if you have HIV you can get AIDS that's how it works. Also did you know that some people are immune to HIV. For example prostitutes can build up immunity towards the decease if they have sex with alot of different persons, but the immunity can go away if tehy taka a break for a while. Wierd shit.

Munsu
Fri, 11-18-2005, 08:44 AM
From my understanding, it's not possible to erase a virus from your body... Once you get a virus, you'll always have a virus... Only thing you can do about it is control it and creat immunities (that's why you get vaccinated periodically)...

With that said, I'm pretty sure that there have been numerous of cases where the HIV virus has been controlled, to the point where it is no longer a threat to the life of the individual.

As el_boss said, he only managed to control the HIV virus, he wasn't cured of AIDS which an entirely different thing...

So I think that the point of interest here is not that he controlled the HIV virus, but the how he did it...

KoKo37
Fri, 11-18-2005, 08:44 AM
yah people have immunes to it but there still HIV possitive but this guys saying he went from Possitive to Negitive for HIV, i personly think its bull lol, he refuses to go further tests? most likey the first tests were wrong which they rarly are then the next text says he dont got it anymore so he wants to keep it like that for some reason lol.

mage
Fri, 11-18-2005, 12:24 PM
they find a new "possible cure for aids" a few times a month.

masamuneehs
Fri, 11-18-2005, 04:25 PM
....I don't trust this...

A cure for one man doesn't mean shit for the rest of the population afflicted with it....

ChaosK
Fri, 11-18-2005, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by: el_boss
What a prick. I bet it was just a fluke and he has gotten the codition again. That's probably why he won't get tested again, 'cause he knows he still has HIV and he wants to get famous or whatever. I just want to make clear that HIV and AIDS are not the same thing, if you have HIV you can get AIDS that's how it works. Also did you know that some people are immune to HIV. For example prostitutes can build up immunity towards the decease if they have sex with alot of different persons, but the immunity can go away if tehy taka a break for a while. Wierd shit.

from what i remember, AIDS is the last and worse stage of HIV. an these new possible cures are like mage said, some guy is always trying to get 20 billion dollars and ten years of fame for introducing it.

bud, im pretty sure not all virus you receive stay in your body or i'd have about 300 stomach viruses inside me right now, there is no antibiotic for the virus but your immune system still can get rid of the virus

Board of Command
Fri, 11-18-2005, 05:49 PM
You can't cure aids. HIV is nature's weapon against mankind and there's nothing we can do about it.

Uchiha Barles
Fri, 11-18-2005, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by: masamuneehs
....I don't trust this...

A cure for one man doesn't mean shit for the rest of the population afflicted with it....

No, this article is implying that theres something inside this man that may be different, and significant in finding the cure for aids. This is of course contingent upon the results not being a fluke. If by chance they're right, and this man has rid of himself of the hiv virus, one of two things happened. Either he "won the lottery" and somehow the medication was able to rid itself of every last virus particle in his body before a mutant strain evolved that the medication couldn't handle, or the other possibility that there's something abnormal about his immune system that defeated the virus. If the latter is the case, furthur investigation could yield the factors that are different in this man, and perhaps an artificial version of said factors can be synthesized and delivered to HIV infected patients at large.

Problem is this guy hears "omg, your test results came out negative" and he runs around the happiest man on earth withouth even considering the small possibility that this is false negative. Even worse, he's being a schmuck by not helping out as he should by cooperating with the furthur testing. He's being irresponsible not only to society at large, but to himself.

ChaosK
Fri, 11-18-2005, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by: BOARD_of_command
You can't cure aids. HIV is nature's weapon against mankind and there's nothing we can do about it.

i never said u could cure aids, i know you cant. HIV and AIDS are special because they attack the immune system itself, while with other viruses the immune system can attack them because the virus's target isnt the immune system.

Board of Command
Fri, 11-18-2005, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by: Chaoskiddo
i never said u could cure aids, i know you cant. HIV and AIDS are special because they attack the immune system itself, while with other viruses the immune system can attack them because the virus's target isnt the immune system.
No, it's actually because there are so many different variations of HIV that it's pretty much impossible to beat them all. At first it was curable, but we didn't have the technology to do it. Now it has been around for decades and mutated into thousands of types, each with different resistances. The longer we take, the harder it'll be to find a solution. That's why you see governments treating new viruses so seriously, especially the recent Avian Flu - they don't want a repeat of SARS...or HIV.

Attacking the immune system isn't the problem. There are lots of other viruses that don't attack the immune system and are much more deadly. The immune system really isn't all that powerful against superviruses.

chambers
Sat, 11-19-2005, 04:44 PM
you guys realize that this testing will probly rob this man of his life totally? he will be the single most famous man alive today and more han likley ever. his life will be completley ruined by this..........selfish? maybe, but comone guys we are not the bloody borg here, he can do as he pleases.