PDA

View Full Version : One Piece Cancelled on 4Kids TV

6Zabuza9
Wed, 11-16-2005, 08:16 PM
YES ONE PIECE CANCELLED ON 4KIDS TV

"According to the 4K!ds website, Fox Net, and local Fox listings 4Kids TV is dropping Mew Mew Power and One Piece beginning this Saturday. " - www.animenewsnetwork.com

hope for uncut dvds!

Munsu
Wed, 11-16-2005, 08:28 PM
I hope they go bankrupt and lose all their licenses...

Deblas
Wed, 11-16-2005, 08:37 PM
I sure hope this is true but I'll refrain from celebrating until they officially announce that it's been dropped. The website indeed has removed the showtime of One Piece but not the One Piece page. It could very well be on hold. And it's very weird that they suddenly dropped it when they just announced the merchandise thats coming out. Sorry for being so negative.

About the uncut dvds. No dice. 4kids annouced a long time ago that there will be no uncut dvd's. Sure hope Viz picks it up if they really dropped it. Their dubbing is decent. Though we will probably be stuck with the lame voice actors. =/

Phoenix20578
Wed, 11-16-2005, 10:22 PM
Viz also said that they wouldn't be releasing uncut dvd's. i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=7696

Assertn
Thu, 11-17-2005, 12:42 PM
Assertnfailure says that he'll continue to ignore 4kids and viz and download from Kaizoku fansubs

Munsu
Thu, 11-17-2005, 12:44 PM
Yeah, most of us will do that, but I feel sorry for the idiots that don't know better and end up buying their shitty product.

Munsu
Thu, 11-24-2005, 08:38 AM
One Piece & Tokyo Mew Mew Not Canceled (2005-11-23 12:48:29)
4Kids has informed ICv2 that One Piece and Tokyo Mew Mew have not been cancelled on 4KidsTV. The programs were temporarily removed as part of a mid-season schedule adjustment and are expected to return to the schedule later although 4Kids did not say when. Source: ICv2 [ discuss (13 posts) ]

Carnage
Thu, 11-24-2005, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by: Budweineken
One Piece & Tokyo Mew Mew Not Canceled (2005-11-23 12:48:29)
4Kids has informed ICv2 that One Piece and Tokyo Mew Mew have not been cancelled on 4KidsTV. The programs were temporarily removed as part of a mid-season schedule adjustment and are expected to return to the schedule later although 4Kids did not say when. Source: ICv2 [ discuss (13 posts) ]

DAM!i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif

Deblas
Wed, 12-06-2006, 12:46 AM
One year bump? Why on Earth would I do that?

Well...One Piece has been dropped by 4kids!! Yeah, I know what happened last time but this time its different. Last time people just jumped to conclusions because it was removed from the 4kids t.v timeslot. This time its coming directly from a 4kids rep.

It started with an email a AP forum member wrote to a rep asking when/if the dub will be back which has disappeard from the Toonami time slot. The reply was:

4kids rep
I am sorry to say at this time there are no additional episodes being adapted by 4Kids Entertainment

So after this, the site admin for Save One Piece (http://killthemongoose.satamsonic.com/onepiece/) decided to contact the rep he/she has contacted before for updates and whatnot to see if it was really cancelled:

Save One Piece admin
Hello, IM a fan of One Piece and I recently heard a rumor online that 4kids is no longer dubbing/adapting the series. Can anyone confirm or deny this rumor?... if it is true, I would also like to know why if possible, as well as if another company might pick up the dubbing rights. Thank you for your time.

The reps reply was:

4kids rep
I would recommend that you direct your inquiries to Toei Animation. At this point 4Kids does not plan to adapt any further episodes of the series.

There you have it. From what the rep wrote it seems pretty clear that One Piece is finally free from 4kids. You happy? I sure am!!

FrogKing
Wed, 12-06-2006, 12:51 AM
Good riddance. I hate when I recommend OP to people and they are like, "I wanted OP for a while and hated it." I reply, "Dubbed or subbed?" Them, "Dubbed..."Me, "D'OH!"

Knives122
Wed, 12-06-2006, 12:57 AM
It's like a fucking dream come true. I may finally be able to watch OP dubbed and not have it make me want to die.

But I'll still probably do what Assertn said and just do what I'm doing now.

Zati
Wed, 12-06-2006, 12:31 PM
From ANN :

4Kids Cancels One Piece Production (2006-12-06 11:06:38)
4Kids Marketing Director Roz Nowicki has confirmed that the company will not adapt additional episodes of One Piece. 4Kids has dubbed 104 episodes of the series into English, 78 of which have aired in the United States. Thanks, Daikun, Eric Appleman, and Mark Barbour. Source: Toon Zone

Deblas
Wed, 12-06-2006, 01:32 PM
^^

So what is the point in repeating what I said 3 posts ago?

Zati
Wed, 12-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Sorry Deblas don't get me wrong I read your post too :) just thought I'll post the Official statement from ANN.

LobsterMagnet
Wed, 12-06-2006, 04:27 PM
Only 4-kids can take a universally successful long running intellectual property and run it into the ground.

This amuses me to no end, seeing as how one piece is one of the most infamously butchered animes around.

It's amazing for something so marketable and so profitable to fail so badly. I'm guessing that they decided to drop it because they just weren't getting any of the same ratings as other successful anime properties.

I mean the naruto dub isn't perfect but I do give VIZ credit for doing a fairly decent job (especially keeping all the music intact) and that seems to be doing pretty well seeing as cartoon network seems to be playing it nonestop (they had three or four marathons that featured the famous rock lee garra fight).

Failure on this scale is right up there with the PS3 launch. LIke shooting yourself in both legs then swaggering in.

Super5
Wed, 12-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Yes 4Kids are the screwups of the century. OP is arguably more (or at least equally) as popular in Japan as Dragonball was and yet it gets effectively canceled in the US. I thought FUNimation's butchering job was bad but it obviously can't compare to the hack and slash that 4Kids did on OP.

Congratulations, 4Kids! You are morons...

ChaosK
Wed, 12-06-2006, 08:25 PM
FINALLY.

The 4Kids version is what made me not watch One Piece for a while.

Lucifus
Wed, 12-06-2006, 08:40 PM
Why do you watch One Piece?

I was told countless times by many members here to watch One Piece, however Cartoon Networks version of One Piece left a scar in my mind of an annoying horribly animated Satuday morning cartoon.

The whos the hottest One Piece girl thread beckoned me to give it a try, I've downloaded the first 30 episodes and am "loving" it.

Its not like Naruto/Bleach, heck, it isn't like any other anime I've ever seen.

Anyway, this thread is made to encourage people to give One Piece a shot.

Throw in any other reasons ya got as well in a post.

If 4Kids manifestated before me, I would find a gun and murder 4Kids in cold blood. Empty the clip in em.

xDarkMaster
Wed, 12-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Thank god is all I have to say. 4kids did a hell of a job butchering a great show.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 12-06-2006, 09:07 PM
It's wierd, I coulda sworn I JUST saw a commercial for OP on TV this week too.

BioAlien
Wed, 12-06-2006, 10:15 PM
yay!! lets partay!
:p

RyougaZell
Wed, 12-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Maybe now I'll see OP....

DarthEnderX
Thu, 12-07-2006, 04:52 AM
I'm not sure why everyone thinks this is going to lead to uncut DVDs or something like that.

4Kids just said they aren't making anymore episodes, but they still own the rights.

Which means first they'd have to sell them to another company. Then that company will have to start dubbing the whole series from scratch since the episodes were edited up BEFORE the voice actors worked on it.

And since thanks to 4Kids, One Piece is now a proven failed property. So all the odds of this happening have been reduced.

Deblas
Thu, 12-07-2006, 02:09 PM
Well, unless you are talking about another forum discussion, no one here has said anything about uncut dvd's.

It would surely benefit 4kids to sell the license instead of waiting for it to expire in 2009. Or they could probably do a joint license like they did with Funi with uncut eps. of Yugioh so they can get some profit out of it.

Problem is, they are getting shit for their adaptation. It didn't take off at 4kids t.v and it didn't take off at Toonami. Their line of merchandise was a complete flop as well, and selling merchandise is pretty much the main reason they dub anime in the first place. They don't live off the anime, they live off the merchandise they make for it.

Even if the dub was popular with some kids, like Lobster said, its huge in Japan, even bigger than Naruto. For something that big to capture such a small audience is crazy as well as sad.

4kids surely did it this time. There is no doubt that One Piece is cartoony and not something "mature looking" like Fullmetal Alchemist. But the content is TOO MUCH for them to edit. They thought they could do like they did with Yugioh (as well as maybe other shows i dont know about) but they slowly began to see just how graphic it can really be and that its too much for their targeted audience so they just ended up editing huge amounts of parts in each eps. How they were going to handle Jaya and above is completely beyond me.

If it wasn't for 4kids fucked up minds thinking they could edit such a show like they have previously done, I probably would have been seeing a huge picture of Nami in the chalkboard instead of Anko at my classrooms. =/

I might add though that the manga is popular enough. So there might be a chance for a revival. Other companies might get discouraged since it has such a bad rep thanks to 4kids but if enough people show that they really want it, they could pick it up. One thing they can do is a kickass trailer probably adding a little comment about how it was butchered and show them just what an awesome show it is. A presentation at a con of some sort. And even though I already have K-F, I want it to do good in America because the Naruto fever is really getting on my nerves. =/

DarthEnderX
Thu, 12-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Well, unless you are talking about another forum discussion, no one here has said anything about uncut dvd's.True, but several people have mentioned that they might "get to see good dubs now", which, if they aren't talking about the possibility of someone releasing uncut dvd versions, I'm not sure what they could mean. I don't think anyone could seriously think that even if the whole series gets redubbed that it will be aired on TV again.

Because of it's past failure One Piece is now a niche anime here, so the best you could hope for is a rerelease on DVD much like they've been doing with DBZ recently.

Super5
Thu, 12-07-2006, 04:12 PM
Despite what Deblas said, I'm still thinking that OP in America is finished for a few years at least. Why? When Harmony Gold did their initial run of eps of Dragonball and then didn't make any more episodes, DB didn't get a revival for at least 10 years (can't remember exactly how long it was). There might have been licensing issues there that prevented it, but it still took a long time to make a comeback.

A second thing to consider is that companies can be very vindictive about their properties. Babylon 5 was owned by Warner, and that show exceeded all their expectations even though the execs hated it and wanted to see it fail. So when Sci-Fi came along and wanted to do an offshoot of the series, they purposely held onto the rights for years to try and kill any chances of a revival. If 4kids is really upset that they didn't succeed with OP, they may just hold onto the rights to "bury" it in effect.

I'm hoping that another company gets it and runs a promo with the tag line "You haven't seen real One Piece yet!" with clips of the uncensored material. But I think it will take years, if ever, for this to happen.

Deblas
Thu, 12-07-2006, 05:23 PM
Dragonball didn't really make much of a combat. It was revived not because they gave it another try, It was because Dragon Ball Z became a huge hit in America.

I still say it can become a hit once it's in the right hands. I just want it to be sooner than later. Ohh well, they say the spanish dub is good at least. Hell, One Piece is popular everywhere except North America. =/

Its true though about holding the rights just cause they're dickheads. We'll just have to wait and see.