PDA

View Full Version : Today I learned...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

KitKat
Tue, 11-15-2005, 09:03 AM
Often in a day I'll pick up a random bit of trivia that I find really cool, or I'll learn something at school that I find fascinating, or I just have something random that I want to say. I'm pretty sure there are some of you who feel the same, so let's have a thread for this!

This thread is for telling somthing new that you learned today. It can be factual (i.e. "Today I learned why the sky is blue." or "Today I learned that Semitic languages have non-concatenative morphology."), it can be a life lesson (i.e. "Today I learned that eating two-week-old leftovers is a really bad idea." or "Today I learned that scissors should not be used as projectiles.") or it can be a new skill that you've learned (i.e. "Today I learned Kage Bunshin no Jutsu." or "Today I learned how to kill someone with a knitting needle.").

It doesn't matter if it's something everyone else already knows, or even if anyone else even understands what you're talking about. As long as it's something that's new to you, that you learned today. Make your post as long or as short as you want. Include illustrative anecdotes, detailed explanations, or just leave a single sentence.
Let's hear what you learn today!

basey44
Tue, 11-15-2005, 09:07 AM
today i learned its a bad idea to take long breaks from going the gym, cos the day after u go back u get major hurties

see sextastic diagram below

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/2563/gymhurties5qo.jpg

Deadfire
Tue, 11-15-2005, 08:54 PM
I learned two things today

I can eat my breakfest out of a flower pot, and that People will still come to my work even when it's a blizzard outside and ask why we don't have our parking lot cleaned..(It seems people to get the fact that blizzards have strong winds with them)

aznimperialx
Tue, 11-15-2005, 09:01 PM
today i learned that life can be good sometimes but most of the time it sucks

Eurasian
Tue, 11-15-2005, 09:06 PM
ohh cool topic KitKat!!

Today...I learned the word "ROFLCOPTER." I find it intriguing how people came up with that term.

XanBcoo
Tue, 11-15-2005, 09:17 PM
I learned a few things in Chemistry today: That when building muscle, if you don't keep exercising it, it will turn to fat and get all lumpy n' shit; that many "healthy" cereals like Raisin Bran have more sugar in them than "sugary cereals" like Cinnamon Toast Crunch; that eating watermelon is a good way to lose weight temporarily (makes you piss), but all you're losing is water and it'll come back;

There's more. As much as I hate the class, the prof always gives us random facts that are sometmes pretty cool.

basey44
Tue, 11-15-2005, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by: Eurasian
ohh cool topic KitKat!!

Today...I learned the word "ROFLCOPTER." I find it intriguing how people came up with that term.

what about lolerskates? or wtfbbqsauce

aznroyale
Tue, 11-15-2005, 10:33 PM
i have to learn to play hockey for gym...... i cant name one chinese player that was ever in a hockey team

Phoenix20578
Tue, 11-15-2005, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by: basey44

Originally posted by: Eurasian
ohh cool topic KitKat!!

what about lolerskates? or wtfbbqsauce

I learned that basey would be one of the best drinking buddies. My current ones are pretty damn random,
but basey would make random seem normal. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Tofu #2
Tue, 11-15-2005, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by: XanBcoo
that eating watermelon is a good way to lose weight temporarily (makes you piss), but all you're losing is water and it'll come back;

Now I understand that joke on the Simpsons episode where Homer becomes the Union leader. I thought it was just one of those random jokes.

Today I learned how to tie a double figure 8 knot.

Board of Command
Tue, 11-15-2005, 10:57 PM
This isn't today, it happened on Saturday. On Saturday I learned that Dairy Queen sells hamburgers and other hot foods.

mr3vi1m0nk3y
Tue, 11-15-2005, 11:09 PM
i learned that cigars are pointless

Assertn
Tue, 11-15-2005, 11:29 PM
I learned that benefits packages can be worth at least 30% of your salary, which is the main advantage of working full-time vs contract.
Also that image type input form elements submit a form on click and therefore an IMG tag in an A tag should be used instead for running javascript responses without reloading the page.

complich8
Wed, 11-16-2005, 07:36 AM
I learned (well, was reminded) that I should always check kvm cable genders before I buy the kvm cables. Otherwise, I end up having to buy $2/each gender changers for the vga parts, which is just irritating. And I even mentioned when I was making the order that I should double-check that I got the right gender cables, but just never got around to it! GRR!

I also learned the basics of vhosting using IIS, and re-learned how to set up sharepoint sites (which is good, because I somewhat needed to know that one, since this new server I got is supposed to be a dedicated sharepoint server).

I also learned that our timetrack app at work bases itself on the local system time rather than the server time, which is just begging to be abused.

Finally, I learned that I know entirely too much about computers in general.

Turkish-S
Wed, 11-16-2005, 08:20 AM
today i learned that the proverb : even a donkey doesn't fall over the same stone 2 time's. isn't true.
I made a test at scool 2 weeks ago and got a 2,4 i remade one today and it still was hard as hell. And i think i havent made it better.. i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

EDIT: the test was for chemestry i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif

Deadfire
Wed, 11-16-2005, 11:52 AM
I learned today that complich8 and AssertnFailure are just as tech savy as I am (I understood all that) as well as i learned those new HP computer with their new form factor is shit on many levels... but alas these people still think they are just "cool"..

Oh and i learned that my parents are telling people that i fix computers for a living and that now i have to fix all theirs too..

Darn it why could n't i get a "real job"

*sobs*

Assertn
Wed, 11-16-2005, 12:16 PM
Deadfire, if you do computer repair work, but don't have a job....check out
www.computerrepair.com

They contact people whenever someone needs something fixed, and if you respond before other people do, you get the job. Then you can do some usually simple task like install a router, and get paid $60+

Wilik and I tried it out over the summer i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

masamuneehs
Wed, 11-16-2005, 04:15 PM
Today I came across two beautiful Italian proverbs:

"...but then, once the game is all over, both the King and Pawns go back in the same box."
&
"At a round table there is no place for disupute." (...unless its a dispute about being at the table or not...)

Deadfire
Wed, 11-16-2005, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by: AssertnFailure
www.computerrepair.com

They contact people whenever someone needs something fixed, and if you respond before other people do, you get the job. Then you can do some usually simple task like install a router, and get paid $60+

Wilik and I tried it out over the summer

It's too bad i live in Canada... And work at a Best Buy.....as a computer tech....and a sales person sometimes

Anyways I learned not to reheat coffee 2 days old......you can guess on how i learned this

Board of Command
Wed, 11-16-2005, 09:47 PM
I applied to Futureshop as a techy, but got turned down. I guess it's because I'm 16 and have no certifications. But still...I think I'm very qualified.

mage
Thu, 11-17-2005, 12:21 AM
www.computerrepair.com

Wilik and I tried it out over the summer
if i understand correctly, basically you sign up with them as a provider, people goto the site and make requests to have something fixed, then contact you? how much money did you make over the summer with this?

Assertn
Thu, 11-17-2005, 01:13 PM
I think alot of people are directed through the site via compUSA....like if they buy a router or something.
I've gotten multiple requests, but only dealt with one client.....a few times.....so i got maybe $125 from just a few trips. It depends on your area though. Wilik I think was making $60-$100 a day on just installing routers and simple stuff like that.

It helps to have a cell phone with SMS so you can respond faster to requests.

mage
Thu, 11-17-2005, 03:06 PM
what's SMS?

KitKat
Thu, 11-17-2005, 03:11 PM
Alright gentlemen, if you want to chit-chat, at least try to stay on topic and post something you learned too.

@ basey: I'm loving the diagram!

Today I learned how to change the spacing between letters in photoshop.

Koyuki
Thu, 11-17-2005, 04:35 PM
@mage SMS = Short message service. Text messages on mobil/cellphone.

Today I learned to install lights, place cables and light switches (at least like as an expert)

Munsu
Thu, 11-17-2005, 04:44 PM
Today I learned that Charlie Chaplin movies are fairly enjoyable, better than I expected... Been watching some Charlie Chaplin on my history class...

Assertn
Thu, 11-17-2005, 05:47 PM
But my posts are attempts to further educate people i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

BTW kitkat, the space between letters is known as "kerning"

Honoko
Thu, 11-17-2005, 07:44 PM
and the space in between letters for whole paragraphs is called "tracking" i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

today i learned that airport security explored the option of x-raying people they can walk through instead of a metal detector. the unpopularity of that idea was because the x-ray pretty much only saw through your clothing. < insert sarcasm here > i cannot possibly imagine why this idea never hit off i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

DB_Hunter
Thu, 11-17-2005, 08:06 PM
Though I can't say what I learned today, because its probably going to be politically sensitive, let it be known that I learnt it the hard way. Humiliatingly hard that is.

Deadfire
Fri, 11-18-2005, 12:25 AM
That there is a new version of PHPBB out that fixes the errors and bugs that i hated so much is out!!!

Now if only the People of the Forums i admin would allow me to update them

complich8
Fri, 11-18-2005, 10:02 PM
I learned that activedirectory controlled subnets don't play nicely with other nt domains, and that my life is thus a great deal more complicated than it needs to be.

aznimperialx
Fri, 11-18-2005, 10:09 PM
today i learned that talking about wheelchairs and a kid in a wheelchair hears it and misunderstands can be very guilty

Deadfire
Fri, 11-18-2005, 11:05 PM
I learned today that EB over sold about 3000 pre-orders for the X-box 360 here in Canada... thats going to be 3000 MAD PEOPLE!!!!! come Nov. 22

Good thing my work (read above) hasn't and will have lots to sell

I also learned that the new X-box has only a 90 day warrenty on it.... this equals a huge problem I'm going to run in to about 91 days after it will go something like this

Random Person: My X-box broke can you fix it
Myself: Yes I can, but do you have a extended warrenty or a PRP (Best buy's Performance Replacement Plan it equals the fact I go to the media department and give him a new X-Box once his breaks)

RP: No I never buy those things, they are a joke a idiot buys them
me: well sir, It's over the 90 warrenty mark so I do need to charge you for the repairs

RP: WHAT!!!! thats not right noone said it had only a 90 day warrently
Me: Someone told you when you bought it, it's printed on the price tag, it's printed 3 times on the box, twice inside the box and you need to register online for this 90 day warrenty because it tells you it is only that long

RP: well, I didn't know!
Me: Really?....(Can you frecken READ!)

RP: so I demand you fix it for Free
Me; Sir, I'm paid to work on units that are paid for..I don't work for free, now if you don't want to pay for these repairs you could either buy a new one or find a person to fix high end electronics for you (Jesus comes to mind)

RP: well it shouldn't have broke you guys sold me a bad console i want a new one for free.
Me: Sir, there is no way we could have forced you to buy that product, and plus it's a mass-produced product that could break -down at anytime anyhow. Thats exactly why i have a job.. (If things didn't break I wouldn't have a job and would not be here to help you fix your console because your a idiot that could have gotten some thing for like $20 that exists for this sole reason!!!!!, It appears Smart people are idiots!)

RP: I want to see your manger your not helping me at all
Me: Thats because i can't nor can he
RP: well best buy is a big company if they want my money they will fix this X-box (this is funny because not only does he say that we are a big company, but he says my money"

Me: Sir, Did Best buy make it?
RP: no

Me: Did Best buy watch it checked for errors?

Me: Did we watch it get on the truck to come here?

Me: So how in god's name are you thinking that we had any part in causing problem with your unit that would make us fix it for free?
RP: Well I know who I'm not shopping with now

Me: Thats good sir, that still doesn't solve your problem

(this is a usaul conversion with people that just don't think)

Hope someone learned this today!!!

masamuneehs
Fri, 11-18-2005, 11:40 PM
Oh, Deadfire, and I thought I was the only person who ever worked in a Best Buy and knew how really stupid people with lots of money really are.

Myself: I'm sorry that you don't like the camera, and that you dropped it in the beach in St. Maarten's, but I really can't take it back. No, no the manufacuterer won't replace it. No, no we won't either. No, sorry, you'll just have to buy a new camera. We have a very durable and easy to use Canon.... Please sir, don't yell at me. I just work her. No, I know it's not fair. I can't do a damn thing about it... Yes, yes you can speak to a supervisor. I am the supervisor. Yes, yes I'm just a kid. Yes, yes sir you're correct. It sucks. Please stop yelling.

Excuse me, you over there, were you looking at one of the new DVD camcorders? Those are a great bargain and....

Anyhow, today I also learned that all you need to do to get on a person's nerves is look at them for really long (while not saying a word) it really starts to infuriate people after the first 20 minutes. I also learned that the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence, if on the other side of the fence is a industrial strength mall parking lot.

XanBcoo
Sat, 11-19-2005, 12:04 AM
I guess I just learned that in the working world, the customer is always...a moron i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

I also learned that for some reason, when used in an AMV, any song can sound good.

Deadfire
Sat, 11-19-2005, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by: XanBcoo
I guess I just learned that in the working world, the customer is always...a moron

I also learned that for some reason, when used in an AMV, any song can sound good.

Not in all cases as some of the best ideas I've gotten were from so very good and friendly people, It just depends on how bad the person views you or the company you work for

As well I need to point out some people will hate you for no reason at all

aznimperialx
Sat, 11-19-2005, 12:14 AM
true some people will just hate you if you don't help them give what they want

ChaosK
Sat, 11-19-2005, 12:16 AM
loli worked at best buy and i did almost you exact same job, except i was more of a customer service guy. some idiot brought a plasma TV back 1 day after purchasing it and tell me, "this product was defective, i want a new one"

heres how my story went
Dude: i need a new plasma television
Me: Sir, i'm sorry but what is wrong with it?
Dude: when i plug it in, i dont get any channels
Me: sir, do you have a cable or satalite provider (GOD THIS GUY IS STUPID)
Dude: of course, i use IO
Me: does the TV turn on?
Dude: yes
Me: then theres nothing wrong with your TV, did you connect your cable box to the TV?
Dude: wait, isnt it wireless?
at this point i was half thinking "this guy is a fuckin idiot" while half laughing my ass off signaling to my co-worker telling him how hilarious this is.
Me: no you have to connect it yourself
Dude: well can you do it for me?
Me: no i cant go to your house to do it for you
Dude: but, why not? best buy sold me this TV they should set it up for us too!
Me: i'm sorry sir, but best buy isnt your cable provider, you'll have to talk to them
Dude: whats their number?
Me: you'll have to find out on your own
Dude: wait, so do i get a new TV?
Me: no...
Dude: why not?
Me: because yours works...whether you get another one, the result will be the same until you plug your cable box wires in.
Dude: are you sure? i heard there are these new wireless routers that work all throughout the house...
Me: thats for a computer
Dude: wait why cant i get a new one? its within warrenty
Me: because its not broken
by now the huge line behind him is starting to get rowdy because my co woker was too lazy to work so he pointed everyone in my direction (bastard)
Dude: but if its in the warenty i should be able to get a new one
Me: sir you'll have to read the warenty on your own, it never says you can trade yours in for a new one at any given time, there are special conditions
Dude: what are they?
Me: you'll have to read your warenty
then some dude on the line shouts out
random guy: GO ALREADY, YOUR NOT GETTING YOUR FUCKING NEW TV, GET IN YOUR CAR AND CALL UR MOM TO HELP SET UP!
at this moment i closed my line and started cracking up leaving the only other guy handling problems with a huge ass line while my other co-worker and i got lunch.

THE END

oh and i quit my job at best buy 2 weeks after and got a job at blockbuster.

Deadfire
Sat, 11-19-2005, 12:21 AM
I think this begs for a new thread!!

lilphatboi88
Sat, 11-19-2005, 02:21 PM
Last week I learned that you shouldn't tell other people when you are making a fake parking permit for school. And you'll get suspended if you do. No matter how good the pass was.

ChaosK
Sat, 11-19-2005, 07:28 PM
thanks to that, today i learned people who make fake parking permits are idiots.

XanBcoo
Mon, 11-21-2005, 01:00 AM
Yesterday I learned (actually, more confirmed what I had always suspected) that the Power Rangers are not only based on old Japanese Sentai shows, but the the in-costume scenes, monsters, and zords are all the EXACT same footage from the original "Zyurangers", just with the voices dubbed over. Trippy...

Edit: lol, ironic...

Originally posted by: Chaoskiddo
we wouldnt want them to think GW is a home from 10 yr olds who talk about power rangers.

Zhan
Mon, 11-21-2005, 01:13 AM
Last night I learned how to control myself while dreaming, i.e. elusive dreaming. Shit its fun, I was in the Phillipines (I think) and I stood there thinking "wow, is this a dream?" after that I was able to control what I was doing. I went to a shop and bought some chocolate. It was pretty good. Woke up after that.

XanBcoo
Mon, 11-21-2005, 02:46 AM
To elaborate on Zhan's post...the term is "lucid dreaming" and it describes the condition when one is concious of the fact that they are dreaming, therefore having control over pretty much everything within their little dream world. I've heard a good way to practice lucid dreaming is to train yourself to look at clocks. Apparently the written language recognition in your brain is completely shut off while you sleep/dream. So in theory (I've never tried it - this is coming from my Pysch prof.), you could look at a clock in your dream, see that it's either blurred or just gobbledy-gook, and come to the conclusion that you're actually dreaming. Once you're past that step, you can pretty much do whatever you want.

Lol, it's funny that Zhan bought chocolate because I've also read that most people either have sex or fly during their first Lucid dream. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

The Heretic Azazel
Mon, 11-21-2005, 02:54 AM
I don't need acid to think I'm flying?

Shit this solves everything.

masamuneehs
Mon, 11-21-2005, 12:47 PM
Today I learned that the proposal to 'save' Social Security in the USA is only a quick fix plan. It will not 'save' the system, but push back the date of collapse (where tax revenue can no longer finanace the neccessary payments to citizens) 10 years. So, rather than being fucked in 2051, we're going to get fucked in 2062. Great job Bush...

Board of Command
Mon, 11-21-2005, 06:19 PM
On Saturday I learned that gravy is very hot.

DB_Hunter
Mon, 11-21-2005, 06:51 PM
Today I learned that unless one sets themselves goals in life they will drift along from one task to another without seeming to have done anything.

On the lucid dreaming thing... I did this about 10 odd years ago. I kept having the same dream over and over again where I was running in the street round a corner with some other kids... until one time I stopped at the corner and I said to the others 'Hey, this is a dream'. I stopped running and I started to walk. I think I did it one other time too but I can't remember. Was pretty cool though.

Mite Gai
Mon, 11-21-2005, 07:27 PM
Today I learned that eBay is my friend and great money can be made from it.

Deblas
Mon, 11-21-2005, 07:33 PM
Today I learned that my doctor is a fag. When you have an appointment with him you wait for him for around 4 fucking hours in the hall without anything to do until he calls me and the day that I'm running a little late, he doesn't even wait 20 minutes for me. I hope you die bastard!

Carnage
Mon, 11-21-2005, 08:29 PM
Today, some fucking asshole tried to tell me that Santa Clause isn't real. MY ASS HE ISNT REAL! I saw him in the mall!i even sat on his lap. But hes a real jerk though, and drinks alot of booze. WHAT? HE TRULY ISNT REAL? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gifi/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif

No, but seriously, today I learned that vocabulary quizzes suck.

ChaosK
Mon, 11-21-2005, 08:33 PM
dude? we said no 10 yr olds, who has vocab quizzes anymore damnit? I GOTTA TAKE THAT PICTURE DOWN!

Board of Command
Mon, 11-21-2005, 08:50 PM
Yeah I was just gonna say. Vocab quizzes? That's so...elementary school.

Carnage
Mon, 11-21-2005, 09:34 PM
I knowi/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gifSilly me.

aznimperialx
Mon, 11-21-2005, 09:35 PM
be lucky you are still getting voc. tests. they are all easy and soon you will face essays and short written questions!

Carnage
Mon, 11-21-2005, 09:37 PM
I already do.

aznimperialx
Mon, 11-21-2005, 09:39 PM
o...k be lucky so you are still getting voc. test because if you didn't you would get the short written question answers and essays and crap!
Just asking, How old are you?

Deblas
Mon, 11-21-2005, 09:43 PM
Ohh boy. You should enjoy your voc. quizzes while you have the time. The real work hasn't even begun.

Mite Gai
Mon, 11-21-2005, 09:43 PM
I would guess he is most likely 13 or 14 based on his current school difficulty level.

Carnage
Mon, 11-21-2005, 09:52 PM
@Mite Gai: your a genius ( im not being sarcastic)

Edit: okay, just by saying that it still seems sarctastic. Im seriously not sarcastic.

6Zabuza9
Mon, 11-21-2005, 10:18 PM
well, today i learned that i like burger king more than mcdonalds.

aznimperialx
Mon, 11-21-2005, 10:58 PM
today i learned eating fat oily food, icecream, and water all in less than 4hrs will get you a bad ach the next day

Lefty
Mon, 11-21-2005, 11:45 PM
Today I learned that my dog has a tumor the size of my fist in her chest.

Xollence
Tue, 11-22-2005, 01:07 AM
Today I learned in History of US Econ. that the value of a human being was 1.13 million dollars in 1983.

Aeon
Tue, 11-22-2005, 01:12 AM
Today I learned that people will camp out 17hrs early in the freezing rain to be the first to get a new game system.

masamuneehs
Tue, 11-22-2005, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by: 6Zabuza9
well, today i learned that i like burger king more than mcdonalds.

Today I learned that 6Zabz has no properly functioning taste buds. (That or he just doesn't understand the God-given miracle that is the Mceedee's $1 menu).

I also learned more about H.R. 3304, the proposed reform to the U.S. Social Security program. I'll post more on it in its actual topic (gotta try to add the link here) and post what I've learned once I'm done with this project...

Carnage
Tue, 11-22-2005, 06:57 AM
Well, it wasnt actually today. Like a month ago, I was finishing up my math project i had been working on for two months, and it was due like in a days. So I go to my fatass of a math teacher to have her check it over. My arguement is how .9 repeating is not equal to one. What do I get? She doesnt even READ the paper,not even the first sentance, but just hands it back and tells me to change my thesis. And in my mind, im like:
YOY FAT (#@*$(*# BITCH! (*()#&(*(*)#@&$(*$(#)@^)$(*)$(#)#@ BURN IN BLOODY @(#$)*$(#$(
But then i say: ....okay...i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif

Lesson of the story: never take shit from fat people. They dont know what theyre talking about.

aznroyale
Tue, 11-22-2005, 09:20 PM
today i learn that when someone sets a fire, and we have a fire drill, i get to miss about 1 period of class ^_^. at my lunch period someone set a small fire (you can step on it and the fire is gone), the guards took out the fire and we still had to go outside. after going outside, we wait for the firefighters come and leave ^_^ that takes like 50 mins. they are in the building for a mad long time

Deadfire
Tue, 11-22-2005, 09:42 PM
Today I learned that my Two day old coffee can be still be good!!

ANd that I own a libary book thats one year over due...d'oh

Deblas
Wed, 11-23-2005, 12:29 AM
Okay, today I learned that peppermint tea takes like shit and it gives you a stomach ache.

Assertn
Wed, 11-23-2005, 03:29 PM
today i learned that when the first of the next gen consoles is going to be released, and that there's a potential of running way short on stock, to preorder one and sell on ebay the same day.

XBOX 360s are going for over $1000!

RedX1z
Wed, 11-23-2005, 03:38 PM
today i learned that there are desperate suckers who'll wait in front of a game store at 2 am to 9 am just to get an xbox 360. god damn, if they don't get one now, they'll get it in march, bastards. also, i hate xbox so much..

6Zabuza9
Wed, 11-23-2005, 10:18 PM
today i learned many interesting things from reading this thread

KitKat
Mon, 11-28-2005, 09:51 PM
Today I learned that only 1 in 5 people in the world have access to clean drinking water.

Phoenix20578
Mon, 11-28-2005, 10:03 PM
KitKat, thats really depresing

Today I learned that the creater of VGCats.com is a Bleach nut.

RedX1z
Mon, 11-28-2005, 10:11 PM
today i learned that stupid people come up with stupid things for a law suit, like an idiot who said "mcdonald's made me fat!". old news to you, new news to me.

XanBcoo
Sun, 12-04-2005, 12:58 AM
Today I learned that the word "salary" comes from the Latin word sal for salt. Apparently salt was valuable in Ancient Rome and soldiers were often paid in sal. Cool.

el_boss
Sun, 12-04-2005, 05:19 AM
I found this out a while ago, but it's so interesting that I'm going to share it anyway.

10% of the kids actually have a different father than they think. That means that there are alot of men out there that are raising kids that they think are theirs, without knowing that they actally aren't their "real" children. I think that this is truly amazing and a little sad, because it means that there are alot of women that cheat on their husbands. I could explain this phenomenon further if anyone is interested.

Carnage
Sun, 12-04-2005, 08:50 AM
Today I learned how babies are madei/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

milfhunter
Sun, 12-04-2005, 10:49 AM
I learned that if you mix chicken shit in a drum of water and let it ferment outside in the sun, you can spray the result on your plants/vegetables where the soil and the stems meet, and expect your crops to grow three times as fast. You can then sell your crops to unwitting customers and laugh at them for eating chicken shit.

You can also use human decomposition to grow corn, like in the movie Secret Window. That's what we should be doing with dead people, recycling their nutrients back into the ecosystem. It escapes me why we just cremate our loved ones or let them rot in a casket by themselves. Seems wasteful. Let them rot with the earthworms, I say.

Mr Squiggles
Wed, 12-07-2005, 02:34 AM
today I learnt that writing a script for a big japanese class presentation at 12:30+am leads to very random dialogue, and crazy ninja attacks.

The Heretic Azazel
Sat, 12-10-2005, 01:55 PM
Today I learned raccoons demand cleanliness, and if you give a raccoon a live frog he will kill it by cleaning the slime off so hard.

el_boss
Sat, 12-10-2005, 02:21 PM
Today I learned something quite disgusting. You know the water that comes when a pregnant woman's water breaks before they are about to give birth? Well it turns out that the water smells like semen. Don't know the reason though.

ES
Sun, 12-11-2005, 07:46 AM
Today I learned how to earn 6-10 gold in less than an hour in WoW even if you are lvl 45 below.

KitKat
Sun, 12-11-2005, 03:01 PM
Today I learned that there hasn't been a new noun created in English using the 'th' suffix since the word width was coined in 1627.

I also learned that one of the reasons eating is prohibited at the library may be because if one is snacking on a delicious but crumbly cookie on the second floor balcony, a piece may break off and despite one's efforts to catch it, it may fall and bounce at just the right angle to cause it to fall through the gap and plummet over the edge to the first floor below where it has a (literally) head-on collision with the unsuspecting person studying below.

Mr Squiggles
Sun, 12-11-2005, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by: KitKat
I also learned that one of the reasons eating is prohibited at the library may be because if one is snacking on a delicious but crumbly cookie on the second floor balcony, a piece may break off and despite one's efforts to catch it, it may fall and bounce at just the right angle to cause it to fall through the gap and plummet over the edge to the first floor below where it has a (literally) head-on collision with the unsuspecting person studying below.
Meh, its not like you really liked that guy anyways.

---

Today I learned that Panetones(not sure how to spell), with nutella, dipped into hot tea is really good.

I also learnt that an orgasm is actually your blood leaving your lower abdomen. Thank you, friend's younger brother who's taking sex ed.

masamuneehs
Sun, 12-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Today I learned (actually, its been over the past month...) that the proposed changes to the US Tax Code are extremely regressive. Basically almost all the moves will decrease taxes for the rich and raise them for the poor. This effect will be seen in Retail Taxes, elimination of Estate and Gift taxes, repeal of the Alternative Minimum Tax and numerous other changes.

Here is the President's Tax Panel's official report of proposed tax changes.

The Future of US Taxes (http://www.taxreformpanel.gov/final-report/)

They claim that the objective is to "simplify the tax code", but that basically means allowing more room for high-income households to worm their way out of paying taxes while sweeping up middle and lower income households under broad categories that generally mean in increase in taxes.

KitKat
Sun, 12-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by: Mr Squiggles

Meh, its not like you really liked that guy anyways.

It was a girl actually, some random person I don't know. Now if it had been Assassin, well that would have been worth 50 points i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Carnage
Sun, 12-11-2005, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by: masamuneehs
Today I learned (actually, its been over the past month...) that the proposed changes to the US Tax Code are extremely regressive. Basically almost all the moves will decrease taxes for the rich and raise them for the poor. This effect will be seen in Retail Taxes, elimination of Estate and Gift taxes, repeal of the Alternative Minimum Tax and numerous other changes.

Here is the President's Tax Panel's official report of proposed tax changes.

The Future of US Taxes (http://www.taxreformpanel.gov/final-report/)

They claim that the objective is to "simplify the tax code", but that basically means allowing more room for high-income households to worm their way out of paying taxes while sweeping up middle and lower income households under broad categories that generally mean in increase in taxes.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh, this is gonna get ugly........i/expressions/rolleye.gif

Winged Dancer
Sun, 12-11-2005, 09:03 PM
Today I learned that the minoic period goes from 2800 bC to 1400 bC and that they used to be a matriarcal culture in which women held power as priestess and queens. Then on 1700 some natural disaster hit and they changed to a patriarcal culture whose main god was Zeus.

Fucking traitors.

aznimperialx
Sun, 12-11-2005, 09:41 PM
today i learned that i could get away from anything.

Mr Squiggles
Sun, 12-11-2005, 11:10 PM
Today I learned that aznimperial has obviously not been chased by an army of psionic cyborg ninjas yet.

aznimperialx
Sun, 12-11-2005, 11:13 PM
well anything i encountered so far lol i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

ES
Mon, 12-12-2005, 06:37 AM
Today, I learned that sticking a metal fork inside an electrical outlet is a bad idea despite peer pressure and general opinion.

complich8
Tue, 12-13-2005, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by: masamuneehs

There's two reasons that the current tax law is as complex as it is: graduated income taxes and porkbarrel politics.

The first one is easy, and justifiable. It makes a lot of sense not to tax someone making $10,000/year as heavily as someone making $100,000/year, because one of them can afford it and the other can't. Not to mention that (today I learned that) we've had a graduated income tax since the Civil War.

The second one is because everyone thinks they are in the same boat as anyone making $10,000/year. Farmers think they deserve tax breaks and government subsidies because american agriculture produces on average about a 100% surplus every year. Stock traders think they deserve tax breaks because their assets are in the stock market. Rich people think they deserve breaks because they've got to pay for those yachts and limos somehow. Basically, every piece of income tax law is a loophole designed specifically to let someone's campaign contributor bump themselves into a lower tax bracket without actually making less money.

Interestingly, I'm sort of on the fence about taxes in the present. I'd rather see the government stop fucking with the tax system and start tightening their own belts instead (you want to spend HOW MANY billion on the war in iraq now? And wait, wait, how much on running people's shoes through gas chromatographs every year?).

Oh, but any time anyone says "simplify tax law", they usually mean "push the code a step closer to a flat tax, and save the wealthy a lot of money".

masamuneehs
Tue, 12-13-2005, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by: complich8
There's two reasons that the current tax law is as complex as it is: graduated income taxes and porkbarrel politics.

Interestingly, I'm sort of on the fence about taxes in the present. I'd rather see the government stop fucking with the tax system and start tightening their own belts instead (you want to spend HOW MANY billion on the war in iraq now? And wait, wait, how much on running people's shoes through gas chromatographs every year?).

Oh, but any time anyone says "simplify tax law", they usually mean "push the code a step closer to a flat tax, and save the wealthy a lot of money".

Good grief! Someone else understands this stuff too!

You are absolutley right on almost all of these points. Simple tax= flat tax, pork (spending gov't money to subsidize various industries and providing tax breaks) = votegarnering. Someone has to tell all these whiny and flim-flamming scurves that sometimes you need to take your damn medicine and pay far out the ass to maintain the lifestyle and systems that makes you the world's most powerful nation.

As for my opinion on military expenses... they're alot better than most of the 1900s... (as a percentage of gov't expenditure). War is the patron of science. The war in Iraq... not getting into that here...

Today I learned: Dino Buzzati is a watered down Kafka. If someone ever tells you that there is a Buzzati story you should read, there is a Kafka one that is at least 3x better.

Xollence
Tue, 12-13-2005, 05:19 PM
Today while doing my Economic History of US final I learned that:

1) Simply "annoying" a kangaroo rat could cost as much as $100,000 and a year in jail. Shining a flashlight on the animal was considered annoying.

2) A striptease bar in Los Angeles, the Odd Ball Cabaret, had to install a wheelchair ramp into its shower stall used in shows because of the lack of a ramp disciminated against strippers who needed a wheelchair.

3) Burger King was sued by a deaf woman who claimed that the drive-through windows discriminated against deaf people.

4) Citicorp Credit Services was sued by a woman whose body odor was so bad that co-workers testified in court that her smell made them sick; one manager claimed he could smell her at a distance of 35 feet.

aznimperialx
Tue, 12-13-2005, 09:13 PM
[quote]
Originally posted by: Xollence

3) Burger King was sued by a deaf woman who claimed that the drive-through windows discriminated against deaf people.

Why thats funny and wrong. I thought the courts wont take these kind of cases. And how the Fuck a deaf person going to order thur Drive Window...

Deadfire
Wed, 12-14-2005, 12:52 AM
Today I learned a couple things

First that after missing about a Week of Gotwoot, nothing really gets better or worse here

Second I learned more about the users of another forum as I was targeted with a interesting outlook at my posting habits and effect on other posts. To give you all a example i was charactorrised as an Confident, corrective, sometimes blunt, others times sharp, sometimes layed back person that manipulates and keeps pretense under pretense too much.

el_boss
Wed, 12-14-2005, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by: aznimperialx

Why thats funny and wrong. I thought the courts wont take these kind of cases. And how the Fuck a deaf person going to order thur Drive Window...
Burger King was sued by a (retarded) deaf woman (with shit for brains) who claimed that the drive-through windows discriminated against (retarded) deaf people (with nothing better to do).

God damn why doesn't she sue the entire music/movie/TV industry. Maybe she should sue her own parents for having children even though they were brother and sister.

Today I learned that people in america can get away with just about anything when they sue.

KitKat
Tue, 01-10-2006, 01:33 PM
Today I learned that Ginger Crinkle cookies will always remain my nemesis. No matter what I do, or how I vow to make them better next time or watch them more carefully, I ALWAYS burn them.

Terracosmo
Tue, 01-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Today I learned that being unemployed makes you want to kill yourself due to feelings of worthlessness.

Carnage
Tue, 01-10-2006, 03:40 PM
Today I learned that teh funniest actrually serious movie is the Oddessy. Me and my friends cracked up watching this movie. I also learned that even the smartest kids in my grade still arent very smart........except me........

Ero-Fan
Tue, 01-10-2006, 03:43 PM
I learned that you shouldn't make veiled threats in a conversation unless your prepared to follow through with them.

Also, I can't cook worth a damn. Unless its on a barbque. Then I do ok.

DB_Hunter
Tue, 01-10-2006, 04:14 PM
I learnt not to take any medicines without going to see a doctor because then you get nasty side effects.

el_boss
Tue, 01-10-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by: Terracosmo
Today I learned that being unemployed makes you want to kill yourself due to feelings of worthlessness.
What? You're not watching enough anime. I've been unemployed for half a year and I couldn't be happier.

Terracosmo
Tue, 01-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Where do you get your money from? i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif

ChaosK
Tue, 01-10-2006, 07:59 PM
today i learned that berardi 151 lights up goood.....i've always heard it but never done it.

Assertn
Tue, 01-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by: DB_Hunter
I learnt not to take any medicines without going to see a doctor because then you get nasty side effects.

I learned that DB_Hunter had explosive diarrhea today. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

el_boss
Tue, 01-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Where do you get your money from?
I get free money from the government.i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif It's called "alpha-kassa" which is like unemployment compensation for students. No I'm just kidding, I'm a gigolo.i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

DB_Hunter
Tue, 01-10-2006, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by: DB_Hunter

I learned that DB_Hunter had explosive diarrhea today.

I actually thought I had developed arthritis in my foot at the age of 21!

Terracosmo
Wed, 01-11-2006, 05:50 AM
@el_boss:

Oh, I thought you had to work for a while before getting a-kassa. Yay for the government i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

basey44
Wed, 01-11-2006, 05:59 AM
wish i was a gigolo

masamuneehs
Thu, 01-12-2006, 03:04 AM
Today I learned that in Italy it is encouraged to get drunk, but not so much so that you puke or spill stuff or fall down or make that much of an ass of yourself.

I also recently learned that the Romans were absolute geniuses. Damn near every aspect of modern urban development has come straight from their designs, models and cities.

I have also learned that unpasteurized cheese makes a person unable to hold down any food or liquid for about 24 hours. Not pleasant.

I have also learned that the world really is very ignorant and close -minded when it comes to accepting American football.

well, those lessons are mostly useless, but its early in the morning and i m hungoverm, so thats just the way it is.

el_boss
Thu, 01-12-2006, 07:07 AM
@Terracosmo: For A-kassa yes. For Alfa-kassa no. You just have to gone to school to get this.

Today I learned that train-tickets are very cheap in the middle of the week. They're like 1/3 of the price on weekends.

The Heretic Azazel
Thu, 01-12-2006, 02:11 PM
Thats because American football is the goddamn shittiest game ever created.

Ero-Fan
Thu, 01-12-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by: The Heretic Azazel

That would be cricket or baseball, not football. If its the shittiest game, why is it one of the most watched?

Tekkaman Vigorot
Thu, 01-12-2006, 02:49 PM
I learned nothing is ultimately bad. Also, I learned anything ultimately Good is bad in itself.

Xollence
Thu, 01-12-2006, 03:12 PM
Today in my History of New Jersey class I learned that the Swedes were responsible for introducing the log cabin, worm fence, and the Swedish Lutheran Church. I also learned that New Jersey used to be a Swedish colony until the Dutch came and whoop their asses out.

Carnage
Thu, 01-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by: Ero-Fan

That would be cricket or baseball, not football. If its the shittiest game, why is it one of the most watched?

Because Americans are shitty loli/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif Nah I'm just kidding............or am I?

The Heretic Azazel
Thu, 01-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Football is boring. Durrr we're gonna runs into each other like a bunch of stupid fat morons. I'd take baseball over that anyday.

Divinity
Thu, 01-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Football is boring. Durrr we're gonna runs into each other like a bunch of stupid fat morons. I'd take baseball over that anyday.

Sitting there watching people try to hit a ball is more fun than Football? Especially when there's like no athleticism involved?

You have your tastes, I have my tastes.

But, today I learned that Heretic Azazel likes baseball better than football.

anphorus
Thu, 01-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Today I learned that there are some americans who don't like American Football which is good, as it is a sinfully boring sport. At least in Rugby they don't wrap themselves up in seventy layers of protective clothing incase they break a nail or something.

Assertn
Thu, 01-12-2006, 06:58 PM
I learned that astral projection apparently allows you to take the form of a lightning dragon and give static shocks to anyone near your physical body
o.o

Assassin
Thu, 01-12-2006, 07:07 PM
pfft, i already knew that.

n00b!

Carnage
Fri, 01-13-2006, 12:07 AM
Baaaaah, if you had to watch a sport just go to a martial arts tournament. The whole reason everyone likes football and Ruggby is because you get to beat the shit out of eachother while blaying for the ball. But in martial arts, youget right to the point. The whole objective is to beat the crap out of the other guy, and thats what makes it so fun.

el_boss
Fri, 02-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Half the people that have ever existed are living now. That is pretty insane.

The Heretic Azazel
Fri, 02-03-2006, 05:51 PM
5% of the united States' population own 50% of the world's property.

masamuneehs
Fri, 02-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Today I learned how to open a bottle of wine that has a cork on it.

Well, as I've learned long ago how to guzzle them down, that bottle is kapootz, and I fought with that fucking thing for more time than it took me to drink it. So, I don't really recall how I actually got the bastard open...

Hint: A corkscrew, like, one for uncorking wine bottles, is very helpful.
Oh, and if you are turning the knob on the screw, and its just chewing up bits and pieces of the cork, you are going in the wrong direction. That took me awhile to learn. Also, keep the clamps DOWN, then, if you're making the screw go in the right direction and applying proper pressure and all that, the bars will raise themselves slowly as you screw.

Digging with the screw will not work (I tried that also). As most corks are a sizable two inches long. Most screws can't get down that deep just by digging, and you will probably end up with bits of cork in your wine. Yummy.

Cheers bitches!

Mr Squiggles
Fri, 02-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Well, I didnt learn this today but according to a "reliable" IQ test my IQ is 141 (numerical logician) which makes me a genius. too bad I got a C- in calculus

Carnage
Fri, 02-03-2006, 06:05 PM
Your no genius. I on teh other hand, AM A GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But not a god bigger than Jadugar because he posts heavenly pictures that noone esle can seemingly find.

Today I learned that forgive, feel bad for, and laugh at the dumb world around me instead of hating it. I also learned that I am probably smarter than most of the retards in my Highschool, for they are really dumb. As well as almost every kid in my class. They are so fucking dumb, that we are playing a bonus game of putting trinomials back into binomials and THEY ALL DECIDE TO USE CALCULATORS! JUST FOR THAT! AND I BEAT THEM ALL! AND THEY HAD CALCULATORS! THEY'RE SO FUCKING DUMB! EVEN MY TEACHER WHO RECOMMENDED THAT THEY USE CALCULATORS! WHY ARE THEY SO DUMB?! I also learned that I am one lazy mofo. Also that books are good. They are very good.

Mr Squiggles
Fri, 02-03-2006, 06:09 PM
today I learned that god#2 has issues, and needs to relocate to the bitching thread i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

el_boss
Fri, 02-03-2006, 06:34 PM
I second that motion. All in favour say aye.

Jadugar
Fri, 02-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by: el_boss
I second that motion. All in favour say aye.

Aye.
I say send the assasination squad.i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Today (well yestarday) I learned that

Originally posted by: Gotwoot Moderator
There is no freedom of speech here.

Deadfire
Sat, 02-04-2006, 01:25 AM
I learned the above statement

Lefty
Sat, 02-04-2006, 05:13 AM
Today I learned I'm an idiot for not calling my girlfreind for two days. Yes two whole days. Now I have to grovle for the next week. Relationships are great!?

Carnage
Sat, 02-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Today I realized that this thread is alot like the bitching thread seeing as how many of the things we learn is through pain.

Knives122
Sat, 02-04-2006, 01:31 PM
today I learned that 2+2=7

Ryllharu
Sat, 02-04-2006, 01:37 PM
Today I learned that regular steel, when heated and quenched in water (or something else if need be) becomes harder. That one's common sense, but its needed to make a big deal out of the other one.

Stainless steel, on the other hand, gets softer when you heat it up and quench it in water. The way to make it harder is to put a lot of stress on it, for instance, flattening it under huge rollers.

Carnage
Sat, 02-04-2006, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by: Knives122

mind explaining?

Jadugar
Sat, 02-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by: God#2

mind explaining?

You dont need a mind to come up with that answer i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

KitKat
Sat, 02-04-2006, 05:15 PM
Today (well, yesterday) I learned that coffee grounds stuck on with honey can make very realistic-looking (and delicious, according to some) facial hair. Quote of the day: "Jordan just ate her moustache!"

Knives122
Sat, 02-04-2006, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by: Jadugar

mind explaining?

You dont need a mind to come up with that answer

-_-, you guys are just jealous of my brilliaint mind

Jadugar
Sat, 02-04-2006, 05:21 PM
Of course we are. You are one of those code breakers, arent you?

Terracosmo
Sat, 02-04-2006, 05:40 PM
Today (well, yesterday) I learned that coffee grounds stuck on with honey can make very realistic-looking (and delicious, according to some) facial hair. Quote of the day: "Jordan just ate her moustache!"

Today I learned that someone in KitKat's circle of friends, perhaps even herself, is named Jordan.

KitKat
Sat, 02-04-2006, 06:34 PM
lol, Terra you're on my msn, you should know my real name i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif Not to mention that I have it in my profile too

Terracosmo
Sat, 02-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Oh shit. Yeah. You got a point there.

*senile*

Deadfire
Sat, 02-04-2006, 08:22 PM
Today I learned that a bigger hard drive so I can hold my torrents before I burn them to DVD. As well I have learned that I need to start watching more anime.. because I'm having days wishing for more Bleach and Naruto Fillers.

Knives122
Sat, 02-04-2006, 08:49 PM
Of course we are. You are one of those code breakers, arent you?

who told you!!!

*clears throat*

I mean, no

Carnage
Sat, 02-04-2006, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by: Deadfire
As well I have learned that I need to start watching more anime.. because I'm having days wishing for more Bleach and Naruto Fillers.

my child, you have been enlightened.

masamuneehs
Sun, 02-05-2006, 07:14 AM
Today I learned about the proposed budget for US Federal spending in 2007:

2007 Budget cuts every expenditure, except defense. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/04/AR2006020401179.html)

This budget includes a huge, albeit gradual, reduction to Medicare over the next five years. Bush's State of the Union address promised "to constrain the massive entitlement programs for the elderly and the poor." Aka, we ain't paying for your RX drugs no more.

Also, the proposed fixed budget includes a formal call to reduce 'discretionary' budget expenditures. For those that don't know the difference, the first budget is created beforehand as a guideline for programs that don't require massive surprise spending (NASA, defense (research and development part, numberof jets comissioned), education, etc) while 'discretionary' spending is determined from year to year, often depending on events and often only finalized AFTER the year is over. Examples of discretionary spending would include emergency deployments of Homeland Security/relief efforts, pork barrel projects based in partiuclar states, some security measures (war in Iraq), etc.

Oh, btw, Bush also asked Congress for 120 million to be spent on Afghanistan and Iraq, but he left that money out of the budget. Now that is 'fuzzy math' if you ask me...

Xollence
Mon, 02-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Today I learned all about the Atlantic Slave Trade. Only 3% of the actual slave traffic reached America and how slavery at first was not about race, which Europeans later used as a justification for the system, but because of money and gold, since most slaves in the beginnings were East Europeans/Slavs, which is where the word slave came from.

el_boss
Mon, 02-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Today I learned that my newborn nephew is the cutest baby ever. I was at the hospital earlier today and it was truly unfathomable that he was the thing that had been inside my sister for over 9 months.

Ero-Fan
Mon, 02-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Today I relearned why I like the news so much, its so entertaining to see people burning flags and cars. So fun... And I'm glad it wasn't my car or flag. Woot!

XanBcoo
Mon, 02-06-2006, 03:05 PM
Today I learned how to read a spectrogram properly (or the vowels at least. I'm still having trouble with voiced/voiceless stops).

anphorus
Mon, 02-06-2006, 03:08 PM
Today I learned that Dr. McNinja (http://www.drmcninja.com/) is one of the worlds best webcomics, along with 8-Bit (http://www.nuklearpower.com) and OotS (http://www.giantitp.com). I also learned a way to draw eyes so that they don't look like the sterotypical anime cookie-cutter eyes that everyone uses. And how REM are awesome.

Deadfire
Mon, 02-06-2006, 06:47 PM
Today, Or a yesterday, my mind is a little funny after all the events that have happened. My Grandpa will die a very painful death because a multiple reasons. Noone knows when... but we all know it will happen soon.... Also like his wife will die before his parent.

Carnage
Mon, 02-06-2006, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by: el_boss
Today I learned that my newborn nephew is the cutest baby ever. I was at the hospital earlier today and it was truly unfathomable that he was the thing that had been inside my sister for over 9 months.

CONGRADULATIONS!!!

@Deadfire: Wow, I'm really sorry man i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gifi/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gifi/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gifi/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gifi/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gifi/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

KitKat
Mon, 02-06-2006, 10:02 PM
Today, I learned that there are people who actually study in public washrooms. There's a certain washroom on my campus that has a small room adjoining it with some chairs and a low table. Generally, it's assumed that those spaces are for mothers who need to change diapers on babies, or for extra room for changing your clothes or whatever. Today, there was a group of girls studying there. WHY would you study where you can hear people pee? Granted, girls washrooms generally don't smell as bad as guys washrooms, but they don't exactly smell nice either. It was really bizarre.

Terracosmo
Mon, 02-06-2006, 10:04 PM
That sounds really kinky. Maybe they find the sounds to be soothing, or perhaps even stimulating!

Assassin
Tue, 02-07-2006, 01:54 AM
Today, I learned that there are people who actually study in public washrooms. There's a certain washroom on my campus that has a small room adjoining it with some chairs and a low table. Generally, it's assumed that those spaces are for mothers who need to change diapers on babies, or for extra room for changing your clothes or whatever. Today, there was a group of girls studying there. WHY would you study where you can hear people pee? Granted, girls washrooms generally don't smell as bad as guys washrooms, but they don't exactly smell nice either. It was really bizarre.

student centre, 3rd floor, outside the CIBC room?

KitKat
Tue, 02-07-2006, 08:58 AM
Nah, BSB 3rd floor. Assassin, how is it that you're familiar with the women's washrooms on campus? Maybe those girls were there because they were HIDING FROM YOU!

Terracosmo
Tue, 02-07-2006, 09:03 AM
You two attend the same uni?

masamuneehs
Tue, 02-07-2006, 09:19 AM
Today I learned that KitKat and Assassin either live in the same town or, more likely, go the the same university! Wow that's pretty funny. Did you two know each other from Gotwoot first? Or did you know each other from university first?

Also, today I learned that not only is basketball catching on in Italy (particularly around Bologna), but that they are horrible at it. Some exceptions, one or two maybe-NBA level players on each squad, but most of them suck. It was like watching a high school basketball game...

KitKat
Tue, 02-07-2006, 09:26 AM
I found out Assassin went to my uni pretty much the first week I joined gotwoot. In all that time though, I have still not met him IRL. If Assassin ever wants to meet me, he better arrange it before I graduate in 2 months.

The Heretic Azazel
Tue, 02-07-2006, 11:11 AM
Today I learned Assassin fears the poon-tang.

Terracosmo
Tue, 02-07-2006, 06:51 PM
What Azazel said.

Also, why the heck haven't you guys met? :S
If it was me, I'd arrange a meeting right away. Then again I am a very (read: extremely) social person.

KitKat
Tue, 02-07-2006, 10:41 PM
Yeah, well, I arranged a meeting last year but someone never showed up. So now it's up to someone to take the initiative.

Knives122
Tue, 02-07-2006, 11:02 PM
It was you wasn't it?

Deadfire
Thu, 02-09-2006, 12:42 AM
I learned today I need to buy a cheap computer to use as a server to run my PHP and mysql work from...

as well as i maybe fired from my job as they didn't give me hours this week as well have asked me to talk to someone

Jadugar
Thu, 02-09-2006, 01:40 PM
I found out Assassin went to my uni pretty much the first week I joined gotwoot. In all that time though, I have still not met him IRL. If Assassin ever wants to meet me, he better arrange it before I graduate in 2 months.

This almost brings a tear to my eye.

http://img287.imageshack.us/img287/4641/assassin4pr.jpg

Assassin
Thu, 02-09-2006, 03:05 PM
:'(

Hey, i showed up, i just couldn't find you..not my fault i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif. Tell you what, i'll throw you a graduation party instead.

Knives122
Thu, 02-09-2006, 03:29 PM
LOL, his only friend is KK that's both heartwarmin and incredibly sad at the same time

Xollence
Thu, 02-09-2006, 03:33 PM
Hehe it's okay, I don't have any friends either.

Ero-Fan
Thu, 02-09-2006, 03:38 PM
Hehe it's okay, I don't have any friends either.

Ditto.
Today I learned that mini-crossbows are fairly powerful, and damned accurate. Also, that mischief night will be a lot more interesting this year and my house will be left alone soon after. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif
Edit: The i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif means I won't shoot anyone who doesn't deserve it. I'll probably just scare em away again.

Mr Squiggles
Thu, 02-09-2006, 03:56 PM
Today I learned that saying "Well, good thing i'm half Dragon then" makes people look at you funny.

anphorus
Thu, 02-09-2006, 03:58 PM
Today I learned that nearly everything about Medieval knights that you see in movies (Like them having a "clumsy" sword style and being slow and lumbering in their Plate mail) is completely false. And that the idea that a Katana could cut eaily through a medieval Shield is entirly laughable.

I also learned the proper name for the type of "ridiculously large sword" that is seen in lots of anime and manga (Cloud from FF7 and Sanoske from Kenshin being the two prime examples that spring to mind)

el_boss
Thu, 02-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by: anphorus
I also learned the proper name for the type of "ridiculously large sword" that is seen in lots of anime and manga (Cloud from FF7 and Sanoske from Kenshin being the two prime examples that spring to mind)
Today I learned that anphorus leaves out the most important part when he is describing something.i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

anphorus
Thu, 02-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Lol<u>z</u>

Wh<u>a</u>t would be the poi<u>n</u>t in having secret for<u>b</u>idden hidden knowledge (th<u>at</u>'s secret!) if every<u>o</u>ne knew the tr<u>u</u>th?

Knives122
Thu, 02-09-2006, 07:21 PM
it's called a Zanbatou

and you forgot the "T" in you little word puzzle. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

anywho, Today I learned that anphorus can't do word puzzles correctly

anphorus
Thu, 02-09-2006, 07:43 PM
(th<u>at</u>'s secret!)
What was that? Yeah I thought so.

Today I learned that Knives is blind. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

I was panning on making a certain naruto manga joke, but it'd be a spoiler.

PS: Way to ruin the mystery!

eat_toast
Thu, 02-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Today I learned that my oldest friend(our mothers were friends when they were pregnant with us) is engaged. It was a shock because he's engaged to a girl I knew in early High School, though he didnt go to the same high school as i did, which makes it one of those crazy coincidences.

Mr Squiggles
Thu, 02-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Today I learned that Knives is blind.

Today I learned that I'm also blind, since I didn't notice the "t" at first either. Maybe Knives and I can help each other as we try to learn to see again. Then make millions selling a book about our tough trials, it's genius!

Jadugar
Thu, 02-09-2006, 10:57 PM
I think you two have got "Lazy" eyes, thats all. No need to worry about it that much.

Mr Squiggles
Thu, 02-09-2006, 11:00 PM
but.. but... you cant make money selling a book about lazy eyes... i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Jadugar
Thu, 02-09-2006, 11:02 PM
Then how about

Journey of two blind people who thuoght they had lazy eyes.

Its much more complex and has more turns and twits.i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Mr Squiggles
Thu, 02-09-2006, 11:12 PM
oooh, and we'll put a bunch of sex scenes to spice things up, just for good measure i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Jadugar
Thu, 02-09-2006, 11:17 PM

Since the hierarchy of some titles has changed, we've decided to post some of them here just for reference.

0 - Student
50 - Genin
200 - Chuunin
350 - ANBU
500 - ANBU Leader
750 - Jounin
1000 - Missing Nin
1500 - Hunter Nin
2000 - Mist Lord

After that, there are a bunch of new ones. Happy hunting :S

Today I learned that the next one is "Jinchuuriki"

2500 - Jinchuuriki

Knives122
Fri, 02-10-2006, 12:46 AM
Today I learned that I have 568 more posts until I'm one.

Phoenix20578
Fri, 02-10-2006, 12:48 AM
Today I learned that this (http://forums.gotwoot.net/messageview.cfm?catid=11&amp;threadid=17438&amp;enterthrea d=y) is a stupid topic....

badass
Fri, 02-10-2006, 12:58 AM
Today I learned that Phoenix is really good at giving e-fellatio.

Jadugar
Fri, 02-10-2006, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by: Phoenix20578
Today I learned that this (http://forums.gotwoot.net/messageview.cfm?catid=11&amp;threadid=17438&amp;enterthrea d=y) is a stupid topic....

You should have been much more subtle.

Phoenix20578
Fri, 02-10-2006, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by: Phoenix20578

You should have been much more subtle.

Your probably right i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Deadfire
Fri, 02-10-2006, 02:00 AM

Since the hierarchy of some titles has changed, we've decided to post some of them here just for reference.

0 - Student
50 - Genin
200 - Chuunin
350 - ANBU
500 - ANBU Leader
750 - Jounin
1000 - Missing Nin
1500 - Hunter Nin
2000 - Mist Lord

2500 - Jinchuuriki

Today I learned that I need 123 more posts to be promoted

Jadugar
Fri, 02-10-2006, 02:23 AM

Well you could get a custom title with the help of your new connections.i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Knives122
Sat, 02-18-2006, 06:21 PM
Today I learned that I rule. Why do I rule you ask? b/c I have obtained the power to put mp3 from my computer directly onto my razr, and the mp3 I chose to use as my ringtone is the FFVII victory theme(like in AC).

This is why I like learning people?

xDarkMaster
Sat, 02-18-2006, 06:27 PM
How do you do that Knives?

0 - Student
50 - Genin
200 - Chuunin
350 - ANBU
500 - ANBU Leader
750 - Jounin
1000 - Missing Nin
1500 - Hunter Nin
2000 - Mist Lord

2500 - Jinchuuriki

Today I learned I won't get promoted anytime soon i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Knives122
Sat, 02-18-2006, 06:34 PM
give me your email in a pm, and I'll send you the .exe and instructions on how to do it (it took me a couple of hours to get it working)(mostly b/c I had to look for the crap)

dantheman62
Sun, 02-19-2006, 03:51 AM
is it just me or are there huuuge jumps between the genin and chuunin. I guess my goal just got higher

xDarkMaster
Sun, 02-19-2006, 09:08 AM
No, it's 150 which is less than the higher ones.

Jadugar
Mon, 02-20-2006, 02:10 AM
Today I learned that this (http://forums.gotwoot.net/messageview.cfm?catid=11&amp;threadid=17168&amp;enterthrea d=y) thread is going down.

RedX1z
Mon, 02-20-2006, 08:38 AM
Today I learned that this (http://forums.gotwoot.net/messageview.cfm?catid=11&amp;threadid=17168&amp;enterthrea d=y) thread is going down.

why do you say that?

anyway, today i learned that our people eat the weirdest and nastiest things that i wouldn't touch.

Strider
Tue, 02-21-2006, 11:44 AM
Today, I learned all about the heat pipes on my ASUS Premium motherboard that will sit inverted in the Lian Li [V1100B-PLUS] case I just ordered.

I also learned that because they will be inverted, I am an idiot for investing in both, as they are not very compatible.

ChaosK
Tue, 02-21-2006, 12:11 PM
today i learned a penny can fuck up a whole washing machine...yup....

Ero-Fan
Tue, 02-21-2006, 01:42 PM
Today I learned that whenever I have a long weekend break, God strikes me ill with something, just to fuck with me. Haha, you got me again, you asshole.

Mr Squiggles
Wed, 02-22-2006, 12:02 AM
today I learned that contrary to popular belief,
mustard + marshmellow != good

Honoko
Wed, 02-22-2006, 12:21 AM
it's a popular belief that mustard and marshmallow go well together? i never heard of that. guess i learned something new today too i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Mr Squiggles
Wed, 02-22-2006, 12:22 AM
well, um, a little voice inside my head said it was... so in my books, that makes it popular belief.

masamuneehs
Wed, 02-22-2006, 02:58 AM
Today I learned that the number one always-included ingredient in pasta sauce (at least in Italy) is NOT tomatoes/tomato paste. It's garlic.

I also learned that the switch to the Euro currency has 'helped' lots of nations' economies by allowing prices for everyday neccesity items to double or triple after the change. Meanwhile luxury items and expensive things, along with salaries, have remained the same. Books, transportation, cheaper medicine have all doubled in their average costs in Italy since the Euro change. The price for clothing and food has almost tripled.

KitKat
Wed, 02-22-2006, 03:04 PM
Today I learned that building a robot is not as easy as it seems. Even if the programming is all correct, the circuit can be tricky and unreliable and die at any time. I also learned that it's way less time and hassle to pay the extra money for a professional microcontroller programmer rather than trying to build one yourself.

Deadfire
Wed, 02-22-2006, 03:17 PM
I learned the above, as well I learned that making sigs are alot harder then it looks like. They take a long time to make, but After long last i have one I can say i made and doesn't look like crap.

ChaosK
Wed, 02-22-2006, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by: Mr Squiggles
today I learned that contrary to popular belief,
mustard + marshmellow != good

Originally posted by: Honoko
it's a popular belief that mustard and marshmallow go well together? i never heard of that. guess i learned something new today too

am i missing something?? i'm pretty sure that it means that its a popular belief that mustard and marshmellow dont go good together...and he was proving it wrong....unless today i'm about to learn a new meaning of contrary...

i learned that you shouldnt practice flame baton throwing, next to a garden (idiotic neighbors)

Assassin
Wed, 02-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Today i learned KitKat builds robots at home, which ofcourse means that she MUST be part japanese.

Terracosmo
Thu, 02-23-2006, 04:45 AM
Today I learned that I am related to this man:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_I_of_Sweden

Yes, a swedish king.

Well to be honest, I've known this for a long time but I never knew exactly WHO I was related to. And this is him. My family is the offspring of one of his many mistresses (on my mother's side). He apparently had lots of affairs and a very small of the total number of illegitimate children is unknown. And my ancestor was conceived when he was roaming about somewhere in Sweden. Originally he was from France (ARGH I HAVE FRENCH BLOOD!) but he later learned swedish well and ascended the throne here (as read on wikipedia). Also, our current swedish king is a descendant to Oscar I, but I'm not related to the current royalty since it's another branch on the family tree. Cool huh?

So I guess the whore qualities lie in my blood i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif My blood, which also happens to be blue!

Kneel before king Terra!

masamuneehs
Thu, 02-23-2006, 06:31 AM
Today I learned that being related to royalty really doesn't mean more than perhaps a cortazone shot to the old ego... Terra is a Frenchman! That explains alot!

Today I learned where to buy peanut butter in Italy. Seriously I had looked in just about all of the stores and nobody had any idea what I was talking about. Even the Pakistani and Moroccan ran bodegas didn't have any idea where to get it. Then I went down to this Asia Mach (that's the real, honest to god name of the store) to look for some good spices (Italy does not have alot of good hot spices in the north...) and there it was! Aisle 2! I think its from the Netherlands or Denmark or somewhere like that because the they spell it as Pa(^accent on the a)te d'arachide.

Terracosmo
Thu, 02-23-2006, 07:17 AM
Well it's not so much "ego" as it is "extremely interesting" i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif
I've always enjoyed research related to family.

eat_toast
Sun, 02-26-2006, 05:23 PM
Today I learned that when watching End of Evangelion you should really pay attention, or else you'll end up googling in panic, re-watching the series going "Why God WHY?!" and eventually get back to the last 2 minutes of EoE and go OMGWTFHAX and die of shock.

Knives122
Sun, 02-26-2006, 05:33 PM
Today I learned that I am related to this man:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_I_of_Sweden

Yes, a swedish king.

Well to be honest, I've known this for a long time but I never knew exactly WHO I was related to. And this is him. My family is the offspring of one of his many mistresses (on my mother's side). He apparently had lots of affairs and a very small of the total number of illegitimate children is unknown. And my ancestor was conceived when he was roaming about somewhere in Sweden. Originally he was from France (ARGH I HAVE FRENCH BLOOD!) but he later learned swedish well and ascended the throne here (as read on wikipedia). Also, our current swedish king is a descendant to Oscar I, but I'm not related to the current royalty since it's another branch on the family tree. Cool huh?

So I guess the whore qualities lie in my blood My blood, which also happens to be blue!

Kneel before king Terra!

Today I learned that you cannot say "King of Sweden" without laughing your ass off i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

masamuneehs
Sun, 02-26-2006, 05:59 PM
Today I learned that the best way to make pizza is to use a wood burning oven.
I also learned that cheese from buffalo is actually delicious and costs considerably more in Italy than other types of cheeses.

Originally posted by: eat_toast
Today I learned that when watching End of Evangelion you should really pay attention, or else you'll end up googling in panic, re-watching the series going "Why God WHY?!" and eventually get back to the last 2 minutes of EoE and go OMGWTFHAX and die of shock.

OMFGWTFHAX is a pretty good way of summing up feelings on EoE. But I think you need to make it OMFGWTFHAXW/HOTSAWZ to really capture the true calamity that is your soul upon finishing that movie.

Mr Squiggles
Mon, 02-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Today I learned that spontaneous human combustion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_human_combustion), or SHC, is really cool. If you're too lazy to read the link then i will summarize by saying that SHC is when someone just lights on fire for no apparent reason, and no one quite knows why.

I'd have to say thats probably one of the coolest ways to die. That would be my mode of death if I could choose. Even better, as I'm just about to kill someone, I'd just suddenly ignite and the the other guy would be like "wtf?". Kinda like the end of the Kimimaro vs. Gaara fight but with fire for added awesomeness.

And then when i get to the afterlife or whatever, I'd be the coolest guy there, just because i can say that i died in complete and awesomely random fashion. The "I took a bullet for my loved one" and "I slew 100 orcs before dying" guys would have nothing on me.

XanBcoo
Mon, 02-27-2006, 11:31 PM
Makes me think of a certain G.I. Joe quote:

Hey guys. Ah, you know it's funny. People...they go to sleep. They think everything's fine, everything's good. Then they wake up the next day and they're on fire.

Today I learned that Togalog is classified as an Austronesian language. I also learned that along with suffixes and prefixes, there also exist infixes and circumfixes. Technically infixes don't occur very much in English (if at all, not quite sure), but one could stretch the term to apply to words like "re-goddamn-diculous" or "inbe-fuckin-lievable".

Deadfire
Tue, 02-28-2006, 12:00 AM
Today I learned that I'm not getting as much sleep as I'm suppose too. I'm suggested to get a new bed because it the problum. I was told that i roll to much in my bed and my body isn't getting rest.

Darn it I liked my fold out bed...course it does hurt the back

Board of Command
Tue, 02-28-2006, 06:13 PM
Today I learned that my computer engineering teacher is a complete noob. Here are some of the stuff he has said:

-Processors haven't improved much the past couple years because clock speed isn't increasing
-200 MHz is not the frontside bus, 800 MHz is
-SLI is stupid because of the way the pixels are drawn on the screen. They should just make a single GPU that's twice as powerful
-SATA hard drives are as fast as SCSI
-Rambus owns (he boasts about his RDRAM everyday)
-The case is more important, in his opinion, than the power supply
-It's good to use a quad-CPU machine for gaming
-The guy used to do professional web designing yet has never heard of RAID 5

For the fellow hardware gurus here, I think those examples are more than enough to show this guy's noobness. I mean...sitting there and listening to a computer teacher say such nonsense is just wrong. For the non-gurus reading, hearing this is equivalent to hearing something along the lines of "Hitler was stupid to kill the Jews himself. He should have just shipped them all to Japan so US nukes them together with the Japanese." Yeah, I hope that paints a clear enough picture.

Knives122
Tue, 02-28-2006, 07:38 PM
Today I learned another reason why I love my cellphone, not only do I have the FFVII victory theme on there, but now I have the 24 CTU phone ring thing that goes when they want to talk to each other.

Score i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

KitKat
Mon, 03-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Today I learned that I'm not the only person in my class in danger of failing and not graduating. I'd say a good 50% of us are in the 'Holy crap what if I have to come back to school for ANOTHER year' zone.

Mr Squiggles
Mon, 03-06-2006, 02:18 PM
Today I learned that in an addition of binary numbers, the sum is the equivalent of an exclusive or operation and the carry out an and... crazy stuff.

Ero-Fan
Mon, 03-06-2006, 03:13 PM
Today I learned that the company I work for still can't get my server back up. And that if asked a question, and a stupid one at that, answer it with either a) a knowing laugh or b) complete and utter bullshit. People stop asking you stupid questions after that. Or, in my case, they keep coming back assuming I know everything. Why the fuck would you ask a co-op about your job? These people are idiots.

Also, if I take 19-20 credits a term for the next 5 terms, I will graduate on time (barely) without incuring any additional costs. So Kitkat, pfft. You got it easy.

DB_Hunter
Mon, 03-06-2006, 03:48 PM
Today I learned that I'm not the only person in my class in danger of failing and not graduating. I'd say a good 50% of us are in the 'Holy crap what if I have to come back to school for ANOTHER year' zone.

Do what I am doing... pull out of your fourth year... you won't get a master's this way but a bachelors instead but hey... who needs the stress of exams???

KitKat
Mon, 03-06-2006, 05:43 PM
You get a masters after 4 years??? I'm in a 5 year undergraduate program. This is my 5th year and if I pull out now I get nothing. If I fail I have to come back for a 6th year i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

DB_Hunter
Mon, 03-06-2006, 06:34 PM
Its a strange kind of masters... an MEng. Its only really known in the UK and countries with education systems that resemble the UK's. An MSc is worth more though.

Carnage
Mon, 03-06-2006, 07:40 PM
I think its usually (even here in the U.S.)

2 yrs. - Bachelors Degree

4 yrs. - Masters Degree

1,000,000.54931728 years of hell to get a Ph.D.

And of course if your taking Med its weird and........I dont know.

FrogKing
Mon, 03-06-2006, 08:03 PM
^Lol! In my experience in the US it is more like:

4-5 years - Bachelors

2-4 years - Masters

5+ years - Ph.D. I am in my 5th year and am hatin' it!

8-9 years - Med if you count residency.

edit: 200th post woot Genin!

Board of Command
Mon, 03-06-2006, 08:05 PM
God#2...I don't know what the hell you're talking about...

Bachelors is 4 or 5 years. You don't even compare it with Masters or Ph.D because those are post-grad degrees.

Master is usually 3 or 4 years.

Ph.D is however long it takes. My dad got his Ph.D in like 7 years or so from research done at many schools.

Carnage
Mon, 03-06-2006, 09:01 PM
Wait, wait, my bad. I was thinking you get your bachelors at age 22, masters at 24.

My bad, I was thinking 20 + 2 = 22, so 2 years equals bachelors degreei/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

You guys are right, around 4 years for a bachelors, and I know alot of people who got their masters 2 yrs. after. Ph.D is different throughout but I hear its Uber Stressful and alot of work.

DB_Hunter
Mon, 03-06-2006, 09:25 PM
So wait a second... how old are you guys when you graduate from your bachelors? IN the UK you are usually either 21 or 22.

Board of Command
Mon, 03-06-2006, 09:27 PM
That is the correct age.

Ero-Fan
Tue, 03-07-2006, 09:43 AM
I think its usually (even here in the U.S.)

2 yrs. - Bachelors Degree

Ahh, You were thinking of an associate's degree, which you can get in 2 years. Its kind of what you get if you go to a community college. That should only take you 2 years.

complich8
Tue, 03-07-2006, 09:26 PM
I'm on my seventh of an eight year plan. I started in fall of 1999, and my current projected graduation is May of 2007. Don't worry too much about being nontraditional ... companies hiring you don't usually care how long it took you to get your degree, as long as you got there.

Oh, and today I realized that apple's success as a company is largely predicated on their removal of choice from their product lines. This somewhat corresponds with Barry Schwartz's "The Paradox of Choice" -- the principle that too many choices about unimportant things swamp our decision making ability and unnecessarily stress us in our endless pursuit of the best things.

Oh yeah, on degrees, I've known people who've made BS/BA degrees in as few as 3 years. A full time grad student in a master's program will typically complete the program in 2 years, but many master's students also work, and pursue their MS/MA in their spare time, via night classes or continuing education programs. That can draw it out a bit ... my mom took almost 7 years from the time she committed to pursuing her MS in education until she completed the coursework ... and she _still_ hasn't completed her master's thesis to actually get the degree (she's been putting off writing the final draft for like a year now).

PhD programs are varied. The PhD program in my university's CS department basically takes people straight from undergrad, and from grad school as well -- so you can enter the program the semester after you get your BS, pursuing your PhD. Most people complete the program, including the thesis, in roughly 4 years. But our CS department doesn't have a master's program (which is generally a continuation of undergrad work at a slightly higher level). Rather, you get admitted as a PhD student, and if you complete the coursework but find yourself incapable of mustering a thesis of any value to the real world, you can exit the program with what's called a "Terminal Master's". Basically it's the disgraceful way of exiting the PhD program ... you just sort of say "I can't take it anymore, academia isn't for me", don't write the thesis, get a master's degree, and go pursue your fortune in industry instead.

In the school of management, you generally have to have a master's (either a MS in management, or an MBA, or a MS in economics or math) to enter the PhD program. PhD students seem to last about 3 years, and then get their degrees.

The takeaway is that you can't really characterize how much work or time it takes in a specific program, there's a LOT of leeway in the different paths you can take to get to whereever you're going.

ChaosK
Wed, 03-08-2006, 11:35 AM
today i learned that 1 GHz in a centrino laptop is = to 1.5 GHz in a pentium 4....very valuable for my laptop purcahsing.

complich8
Wed, 03-08-2006, 04:57 PM
yeah, you should check out the benchmarks and stats for the latest intel desktop showing, "conroe". They're pretty exciting.

And code name "Merom" for the mobile platform is looking kinda slick too. It's the successor to the brand-new "core duo" stuff.

Check out anandtech's IDF coverage for more. http://anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2715

Board of Command
Wed, 03-08-2006, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by: Chaoskiddo
today i learned that 1 GHz in a centrino laptop is = to 1.5 GHz in a pentium 4....very valuable for my laptop purcahsing.
I don't recall there ever existing a 1 GHz Pentium M. Generally a Pentium M will be equivalent to a Pentium 4 that's about double the clock speed. The 1.73 GHz Pentium M can match pretty much any Pentium 4 on the market.

ChaosK
Wed, 03-08-2006, 06:20 PM
lol i just ordered my core duo yesterday.

Board of Command
Wed, 03-08-2006, 09:25 PM
Dude you get a Dell? They have a pretty good sale on some Core Duo laptop right now.

Lucifus
Sun, 03-12-2006, 07:34 PM
ohh cool topic KitKat!!

What does the word ROFLCOPTER mean? And today I learned that if you make loud noises with a plastic bag, your younger brothers gunei pig will run blindly around its cage hitting itself countless times adn won't stop until I put the bag down.:D
Oh and kool topic KitKat. =)

Jadugar
Sun, 03-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Today I learned that

If you ask someone to REP you because they like what you have posted then it falls under the category of "soliciting rep."

http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?t=11243&page=24

Some guidelines:
Try to give out more positive reputation hits than negative ones.
No soliciting rep hits.
Don't take it too seriously.
Leave comments with your rep hits.

How about you follow your own guidelines and Dont take it too seriously.

suckitdry
Sun, 03-12-2006, 07:40 PM
today I learn ^^^ man have panties all twisted up.

complich8
Sun, 03-12-2006, 07:40 PM
see, the thing is, if we let you spam up the forums with constant rep-begging, it'll go the exact opposite direction from where we want it to go.

The point of the system is to encourage and reward good posting. Inherently, asking for rep is bad. It degrades the content of your post ... it's like slapping a big flash-animation banner ad in the middle of what could otherwise be good material.

If you're asking for rep, you're taking it too seriously!

Lucifus
Sun, 03-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Well, uh.......Today I learned that there was a thread full of Naruto Hentai, and I was overjoyed, about 50% of the hentai was thanks to Jadugar, and I think he deserved some rep. I learned this was solicting rep....? o.0 Wha....

But ya...Whatever....Rulez are rulez....

Jadugar
Sun, 03-12-2006, 07:53 PM
Someone just jumped the gun. I would never go as low as to ask/beg someone to rep me.
I was just pointing him in the right direction. This system is fairly new.

I never asked previously when we were on Fuse talk for someome to do my user rating and that was b/w 7-8 with more than 30 votes.

People would rep me if they like what I post not because I ask them.:rolleyes:

Anyway. blah blah blah I will follow the rules. OK UNDERSTOOD.

Lucifus
Sun, 03-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Well, anywayz, Today I learnt that my younger brothers rabbit doesn't like bright flashlights shined in its eyes and will continously run around its cage while hitting itself countless times until the light dissappears. :D