PDA

View Full Version : did the anime underplay kimmimaro? (sp)

chambers
Mon, 11-07-2005, 11:39 AM
i knew about the coming of this character because some loud mouth ass, who is thankfully no longer with us, blurbed it out many times. now i know lots of manage readers were also anticipating his anime debut........ but i was totally underwhealmed by this guy.

he seamed totally lacklustre, he only featured in a few eps, his background didnt interest me that much. his moves were underplayed in his fight against lee (whom lee was the main attraction and his drunken style) and gaara (who totally dominated kimmi). the fight against naruto was short and terrible in design anyway so i have no love for that.

i just felt he was a totally forgetable character (along with all the sound 5, they just show up one episode after featuring for a few seconds previoulsy in the battle of konoha, then were decimated as fast as they showed up by the sand genins).

Assertn
Mon, 11-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Kimimaro's background in the manga pretty much consisted of a couple frames of dialogue between oro and kabuto

At least in the anime they actually showed other kaguya clan members and the battles that took place

Kraco
Mon, 11-07-2005, 12:30 PM
The fight against Naruto was pitiful indeed, there's no denying that, but otherwise I don't think it was that bad. Considering the guy was already more than half dead, he put up a formidable fight against Gaara. You can't forget Gaara is a very powerful character when fully rested (if you can even say that with him), like he was in the beginning of that fight. Who knows how the fight would have ended, if Kimimaro hadn't been running out of his battery life already in the beginning of the duel.

Assertn
Mon, 11-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by: Kraco
The fight against Naruto was pitiful indeed, there's no denying that, but otherwise I don't think it was that bad. Considering the guy was already more than half dead, he put up a formidable fight against Gaara. You can't forget Gaara is a very powerful character when fully rested (if you can even say that with him), like he was in the beginning of that fight. Who knows how the fight would have ended, if Kimimaro hadn't been running out of his battery life already in the beginning of the duel.

I'm pretty sure kimimaro would've killed gaara if he hadn't died just seconds before thrusting his spear out

DarthEnderX
Mon, 11-07-2005, 01:19 PM
I like how he says all the sound nins were defeated so fast and yet it took like 10 episodes to do the fights with all of them.

Terracosmo
Mon, 11-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Well there was something about Kimimaro's manga appearance that made him feel much more awesome than he did in the anime. I don't really know why. Might be the pacing or something. :S

chambers
Mon, 11-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by: DarthEnder
I like how he says all the sound nins were defeated so fast and yet it took like 10 episodes to do the fights with all of them.

ughhh if you dont undersatnd my posts, then dont respond........... from start to finish, in terms of real time the sound 5 from the moment they first fought to the moment they were all dead took what? one day? one single day and oro's elite fighting force that stopped all interference druing his fight with the 3rd. just because the anime chose to display a few hours goings on as 10 episodes isnt my problem. how many episodes did it take the sand genin to beat the remaining sound nin? 5?

The Heretic Azazel
Mon, 11-07-2005, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by: AssertnFailure

I'm pretty sure kimimaro would've killed gaara if he hadn't died just seconds before thrusting his spear out

Agreed.

Why can't the shitty characters ever die? I mean, Kiba's about due.

LobsterMagnet
Mon, 11-07-2005, 02:48 PM
I know exactly why Kimimaro was less awesome in the anime vs. manga. It's really obvious when you think about it. In the manga he was a very gory character. He became extremly bloody as he dislodged his bones which made him look badass and very creepy. All of the blood was edited out of the anime so when he used his bloodline it didn't have nearly as much of a visual impact as it did in the manga. For all you anime only people I recommend that you reread the fight in the manga (about chapter 200 range). Just so you can see it in all of it's uncensored glory.

On similar note what Orchimaro was shown experimenting on the bodies for the immortality jutsu in the manga he had whole racks filled with chained and bloodied bodies versus the censored confins seen in the anime. Ever since naruto made primetime most of the more excessive gore has either been toned down or edited out. I don't really mind but it's just something interesting to take note of.

Assertn
Mon, 11-07-2005, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by: The Heretic Azazel

Agreed.

You better not be calling gaara a shitty character

The Heretic Azazel
Mon, 11-07-2005, 03:06 PM
Gaara isn't shitty at all, I was talking about Kimi's death.

masamuneehs
Mon, 11-07-2005, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by: The Heretic Azazel

Agreed.

Woah woah woah there a minute! Are you calling Kiba a shitty character? His dog is going to burn your eyes out with his Dynamic Marking pisstsu! Kiba is one of my favorite characters. He's like Naruto (rule-breaker, full of pride, sorta dense, mischeivous) except he doesn't rag on and on about "his way of the ninja" and annoying motivational speeches. Naruto may be stronger and get more screentime, but Kiba is way cooler.

And, to address the issue: I went over the manga and it really didn't seem to build up Kimimaro that much at all. Let's face it, the dude is an absolute monster and, as been stated, if it wasn't for his illness, Rock Lee and Gaara probably would've been killed.... I know Kimi didn't beat up on Naruto the way he should have, but I don't think Kimi was serious at that point and Naruto was clearly overwhelmed. I felt that the anime may have OVERplayed Kimi's abilities, what with his withstanding Gaara's crushing attacks over and over again. It was really anti-climactic when he just died with his BoneSpear a centimeter away from Gaara's eyeball...

Keno
Mon, 11-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by: LobsterMagnet
I know exactly why Kimimaro was less awesome in the anime vs. manga. It's really obvious when you think about it. In the manga he was a very gory character. He became extremly bloody as he dislodged his bones which made him look badass and very creepy. All of the blood was edited out of the anime so when he used his bloodline it didn't have nearly as much of a visual impact as it did in the manga. For all you anime only people I recommend that you reread the fight in the manga (about chapter 200 range). Just so you can see it in all of it's uncensored glory.

On similar note what Orchimaro was shown experimenting on the bodies for the immortality jutsu in the manga he had whole racks filled with chained and bloodied bodies versus the censored confins seen in the anime. Ever since naruto made primetime most of the more excessive gore has either been toned down or edited out. I don't really mind but it's just something interesting to take note of.

Although I didnt get to read those chapters of the manga, I'll have to agree with you because its the only thing that makes sense. If the anime showed all that gorefest that supposedly appeared in the manga, then hell yea, that would've made a bigger impact on his character. I dont think of Kimi as a monster unless I imagine all his bones ripping his skin appart with a nice bloodbath.. LOL?

Judging by the anime only, they portrayed him like a lovey lovey subordinate of orochimaru. Although he was pretty good "skillwise".

The Heretic Azazel
Mon, 11-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Woah woah woah there a minute! Are you calling Kiba a shitty character? His dog is going to burn your eyes out with his Dynamic Marking pisstsu! Kiba is one of my favorite characters. He's like Naruto (rule-breaker, full of pride, sorta dense, mischeivous) except he doesn't rag on and on about "his way of the ninja" and annoying motivational speeches. Naruto may be stronger and get more screentime, but Kiba is way cooler..

None of what you said indicates that Kiba isn't a useless sack of shit.

XanBcoo
Mon, 11-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Like chambers, I knew about Kimimaro before his anime appearance so I was looking forward to him. He struck me as a really cool villian at first, lots of potential. Then that crappy fight with Naruto happened (made up for by Lee and Gaara's awesome fights with him). Then we found out he was just a Haku clone, and then he died in a really boring way. His existence spanned over only a few episodes, and he never left a mark on me like I thought he would.

So yeah, I was disappointed as well.

And Kiba doesn't suck.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 11-08-2005, 03:34 AM
ughhh if you dont undersatnd my posts, then dont respond........... from start to finish, in terms of real time the sound 5 from the moment they first fought to the moment they were all dead took what? one day? one single day and oro's elite fighting force that stopped all interference druing his fight with the 3rd. just because the anime chose to display a few hours goings on as 10 episodes isnt my problem. how many episodes did it take the sand genin to beat the remaining sound nin? 5?

But the point you conveyed was about understatement in the anime, so isn't screentime the issue then and not actual passage of time? Since you were saying the anime wasn't representing well. Isn't taking 10 episodes to show them fighting over the course of a day GOOD?

And on that subject the Third died in like 20 minutes, so even though he was fighting for half a season I suppose according to you he was underrepresented?

So don't bitch about other people not understanding your posts when you're the one who can't clearly convey his own thoughts.

Assertn
Wed, 11-09-2005, 12:15 PM
One of the things i liked moreso about kimimaro in the anime than in the manga is that they threw him into a bunch of older scenes that we've recognized from the past, such as killing the grass genins to steal their identities, and assassinating the kazekage. Gives more of that "kimimaro's always been behind the scenes" kinda feel.

Terracosmo
Wed, 11-09-2005, 02:28 PM
That I agree with, Assertn.
It was an easy way to give him some kind of added depth. :S

mage
Wed, 11-09-2005, 02:48 PM
gaara should be dead right now. when kimimaro died his arm should've kept going straight into gaara's head, but it just magically stopped. the same thing happened with kankurous puppet head with the spike on it, it was going straight for shino's head then stopped in mid air and fell straight down. :\

Assassin
Thu, 11-10-2005, 12:36 AM
well you see, things cant keep moving unless they have some sort of external force acgting on them....so when kimi dies, theres nothing to keep his arm moving forward, and even if it does move fowrad due to its own momentum, it would also go downwards and hit gara in the cheeks or something. same for the puppet...gravity would work its magic in both cases.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 11-10-2005, 12:39 AM
As I somehow posted to a different thread than this earlier, chakra does not obey the laws of thermodynamics.

mage
Thu, 11-10-2005, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by: Assassin
well you see, things cant keep moving unless they have some sort of external force acgting on them....so when kimi dies, theres nothing to keep his arm moving forward, and even if it does move fowrad due to its own momentum, it would also go downwards and hit gara in the cheeks or something.

uh, lol

he was thrusting his arm out full speed and it FROZE completely a few centimeters from gaara's eye. it should have gone straight through his head. where it hit him in the head wouldn't matter anyway.

Originally posted by: Assassin
same for the puppet...gravity would work its magic in both cases.
yes i suppose gravity stops things mid flight and makes them fall straight down eh?

XanBcoo
Thu, 11-10-2005, 02:17 AM
I kinda agree. Things don't just stop in midair like we saw with Kimi and Kankuro (or Karasu, rather), even if you consider gravity. Whatever, it wasn't annoying enough to bother me, it's just something I noted. Kinda odd.