PDA

View Full Version : Guilty Gear

bagandscalpel
Sun, 11-06-2005, 07:02 PM
WHO ELSE LIKES THIS GAME/SERIES?

NOTE:
1) Here's the thread for anyone to profess their love for any one of the games or the entire series. Things related to the series (i.e. story, music, characters) are also welcome to be discussed. You may choose to compare it to another fighting game or something ONLY if you give specific examples; I HATE GENERALIZATIONS. This is due in part to my lack of knowledge on [insert fighting game title].

2) Please don't ask ME questions about gameplay; that's what the dustloop and romancancel forums are for. The only exception I'll make is for Faust, cuz he's my alterego. Even then, I'll try my best to answer, because I'm still not as good a player as I want to be.

Nai
Sun, 11-06-2005, 08:16 PM
I don't love the game as much as I love the characters.

Baiken has to be the best female character ever in a fighting game. And Bridget, one of the most disturbing ones ever. Especially when he "shakes it" to his theme song. Faust is also pretty damn fucked up, but cool nonetheless and his gentle side is very cute. Another of my favorites would be Venom, but nothing can really beat his master; ZATO-1. It's all about the voice, baby.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/Alceste/BridgetDance.gif

... Scary, yes?

Ryllharu
Sun, 11-06-2005, 10:23 PM
I started with GGXX and bought Isuka the day it came out. Guilty Gear is probably one of my favorite fighting games of all time. Great characters, awesome dialouge, and even better VO's. The stories can be a little weak at times, but with these characters, who cares?

I've never been too big on roman cancels. Or the rest of the super techincal fighting. I've always been just as happy with instant kills and filling up the tension bar as fast as possible, using Bursts when I needed to. That's the other reason I love GG. You can play super techincal, but you really don't need to, meaning your friends can jump in and still have a blast with the minimal 2D fighting experience.

As for who are my favorites, Dizzy, Jam and Millia. Totally different playstyles for all three, but I always have fun with them. Gamma Ray's are great, but there are few things that can beat a LONG juggle from Jam. I've thrown in May from time to time, just because she sounds so cute. I wish I could use I-No as well as my friends, because nothing beats a foul-mouthed metal chick witch in a fighting game, especially when Kikuko Inoue is voicing her. I'll guess I'll be happy enough with Jam's terrible Chinese accent.

I cannot stand Zato-1/Eddie or Venom. It's really just those two.

My favorite line:

May: You... you're bald! Bald aren't you!
Faust: Hello?
May: I'm sorry, I hate baldness!

bagandscalpel
Sun, 11-06-2005, 11:03 PM
Hahahah, very nice; yeah that was one of my favorite dialogues, too.

But come now, no love for Eddie nor Venom?

I smell homophobia.

Terracosmo
Mon, 11-07-2005, 02:33 AM
I consider myself a die-hard GG fan. I love all about the series, the story, characters, music (heavy metal!) and mechanics. My favorite character is Testament, few things in this world give me such a satisfying feeling as when people fall into my traps and I dash forward to execute any given combo. The voice work in this series is of course also outstanding. I can really go on and talk about how great these games are for all eternity but I don't know where to begin i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

I was in a swedish "local tournament" once, about 30 players in it - and I won. :S
Sure, Sweden isn't known for the great fighting game players inhabiting the country but it still felt great.

Overall I've always been a huge fan of 2D fighters, starting early with Street Fighter, then later on fell into the world of SNK - King of Fighters, Last Blade, Samurai Shodown etc - and then found GG, realizing that it's the ultimate fusion of all things I adore in fighters. I hate people who think that 3D fighters are deeper than 2D ones just because you can fucking side-step or something. I want to kill people like that with a mallet.

basey44
Mon, 11-07-2005, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by: Terracosmo
Overall I've always been a huge fan of 2D fighters, starting early with Street Fighter, then later on fell into the world of SNK - King of Fighters, Last Blade, Samurai Shodown etc - and then found GG, realizing that it's the ultimate fusion of all things I adore in fighters. I hate people who think that 3D fighters are deeper than 2D ones just because you can fucking side-step or something. I want to kill people like that with a mallet.

i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif what about marvel vs capcom

Terracosmo
Mon, 11-07-2005, 02:46 AM
MvC rules too... I think that MvC2 is the fighting game I've spent most time with after GGXX i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

XanBcoo
Mon, 11-07-2005, 02:56 AM
I bought GGXX #Reload for XBox and I love it. Problem is, I always have trouble adjusting to the PS2 controllers whenever I fight anyone else i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

My best (and favorite) character is Chipp. I love fast characters in fighting games though, so I naturally picked him. I love that feeling of zipping around, teleporting, and attacking before the other guy knows what's what (only problem is Chipp does CRAP damage). So yeah, I have tons of fun playing around with him. I'm considerably good, but not a hardcore player. I also like Baiken. Like Nai said, I think she's one of the better female characters I've ever seen. I also love her voice and just think samurai's are cool.

Music is awesome. Favorite track is "Suck a Sage". I always play better when I'm listening to that song...

Ryllharu
Mon, 11-07-2005, 06:30 AM
I hate Venom because I've always found him awkward to use, and since the first time I ever played through the game was with Millia, the personality hatred towards Venom just sorta trickled down. Some of the same is probably true with Eddie. The story mode just makes me hate their personalities totally, pretty much all because I picked Millia first.

I've never played Zato-1 though, because I started with GGXX, where he's turned fully into Eddie. All he does now is scream how he needs a body and scream incoherently the rest of the time.

XanBcoo
Mon, 11-07-2005, 09:58 AM
I kinda like Eddie 'cause he reminds me of Gaara. It's also fun to hear him yell "SHARK!"

Terracosmo
Mon, 11-07-2005, 11:31 AM
I miss Zato. He was a really cool character, in the tragic way. And his voice was amazing. Of course Koyasu Takehito does a great job with Eddie but Zato really hit the spot. It was pretty cool, and sad, how they tied Zato/Eddie together with the death of Zato's voice actor. I love playing the Guilty Gear songs on drums. I have a dream to one day get together a GG cover band, which would put vocals on the songs (and do a hell of a lot better work with it than those other people who attempted it).

bagandscalpel
Mon, 11-07-2005, 12:55 PM
That being said, I wonder if the original Zato-1 VA would still be doing Faust or Potemkin(?), like he was during GGOne.

Oh yes, Terra, if you have money to burn, I'd recommend you get the Guilty Gear Sound Complete Collection. It contains the OSTs from GGOne to GGIsuka, as well as some remixes of GGOne tracks and new GGSlash tracks. As an added bonus, it comes with written scores for some of the pieces and a pretty collectors' box.

Terracosmo
Mon, 11-07-2005, 12:58 PM
That sounds amazingly interesting, any pointers on where I can find it?

bagandscalpel
Mon, 11-07-2005, 01:12 PM
Look here:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/(simple)/d...?KEY=KDSD-20001

(I preordered mine off of yesasia, but I heard above site is good, too)

http://www.team-e.co.jp/hot/050913/index.html

(some images)

http://www.team-e.co.jp/products_new/kdsd-20001-8/

(the whole tracklist for the entire collection)

Word of warning: it is in extremely limited quantities.

Mite Gai
Mon, 11-07-2005, 10:11 PM
Yeah, I am in love with this fighting series. My favorite character has to be Chipp Zanuff because he is a ninja (yeah, ninjas pretty much kick everything's ass) and while he does not do as much damage I can rack up the combos with him although I also like to use Slayer because he is a pretty cool looking character. And I would have to say my favorite song in the series has to be Slayer's: "Haven't You Got Eyes in Your Head?" It is a perfect mix of jazz and metal and fits perfectly with Slayer. I currently have GGX2: Reload for the Xbox (I know there is more, but I am too lazy to look). The only problem is the S-controller has the crappiest D-pad ever because it has terrible detection of where you are pressing on it so I have to use the original Xbox controller.

6Zabuza9
Thu, 11-17-2005, 06:51 PM
DIZZY, she owns. wish they would make an anime or movie about this

bagandscalpel
Thu, 11-17-2005, 07:54 PM
That would be nice.

Till then, we've still got the next canon sequel before anything gets possibly decided upon.

My advice? Just watch the Extra trailer included in XX or #R.

Mite Gai
Fri, 11-18-2005, 12:05 AM
Yeah, that is pretty entertaining except that Chipp gets practically no airtime (at least Faust gets to launch like a 1000 scalpels before his 2 seconds are up, all Chipp does is kill one guy and say, "Guess who's quicker?")

XanBcoo
Fri, 11-18-2005, 01:30 AM
I'm pretty sure I've seen more GG material. Not sure if it's "canon" story or not, but I recall seeing stuff like doujins and audio dramas and the like. Will have to look up on that.

But yeah, an anime would rule. Except most anime based on games suck.

Terracosmo
Fri, 11-18-2005, 01:49 AM
That anime clip has the worst dub ever, featuring an australian Testament and a Ky who sounds like he has a stick up random parts of his body "Ride... the.... liiiiight...ning!"

"You should know that seclusion is not happiness!"

*shivers in fear*

bagandscalpel
Fri, 11-18-2005, 11:39 AM
"Your sin is beyond the grace of God!"

*clenched teeth + sealed lips*
"God? I want nothing to do with him, heh!"

Or even better:

"Oh no - I'm falling...!"

"Spare me."

Well, as far as the English VAs go, they sucked. But the Japanese ones were 100% geniunely good.

Ryllharu
Fri, 11-18-2005, 01:15 PM
The saving grace is Jam not saying a word and just beating the crap out of a bunch of guys in her restaurant with kicks and Chi attacks.

"Kuradoberi Jam, tadaima tanjou aru!"
"Sasa, tanto meshiagare, gekikara de yokereba ne!"
"Chotto... yarisugita aru ne."

You just can't replicate that terrible accent.

XanBcoo
Sat, 11-19-2005, 02:42 PM
As far as voices go, I found it funny that Yuji Ueda played Zappa. A favorite VA of mine, yet I never would have recognized him if I had never been told.

Terracosmo
Fri, 01-20-2006, 07:18 PM
New on the GG front!

Guilty Gear XX Slash, the newest "revision" of X2 ( no, not a sequel i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif ) has been out in the arcades for a while and the console version is about 75% complete. It's scheduled for release next spring. It will contain new modes, new moves and tweaks to returning characters, as well as two "new" ones. The first being A.B.A from Isuka, the second being Holy Order Sol (Sol during his days in the holy order). There will also be new stages and graphical improvements. Finally, songs from the first Guilty Gear will return in remixed versions, along with all new songs for both A.B.A and Holy Order Sol.

There are also rumors about an actual GGX3 finally happening. Pictures have leaked of new Daisuke Ishiwatari (game producer/artist/Sol voice actor) art depicting an entirely new character - "Sin". Some speculate that it's a parallel version of Ky (hence the similarity), much like Raven is another existance of Axl:

http://h.pic.to/5ue9g
http://h.pic.to/5uhb8
http://g.pic.to/5v8b9
http://g.pic.to/5vttv

Can't wait!

RedX1z
Fri, 01-20-2006, 08:10 PM
i can't say i'm a fan, nor do i know guilty gear all that well, but playing x2 a litte has made me like it, so i guess in a way, i can't wait for this to come out. on second note, go dizzy!

bagandscalpel
Fri, 01-20-2006, 09:55 PM
Ahh, Terra, you have good taste; I like your new AV.

And about this "Sin" character. Actually, I've been aware of a nasty rumor that's been floating around that he's actually supposed to be some sort of X-box version exclusive... God forbid.

I'm going to preorder Slash as soon as a proper release date's released.

Terracosmo
Mon, 01-23-2006, 01:27 AM
http://holyzen.pixelatedempire.../comic.php?comicID=124 (http://holyzen.pixelatedempire.net/comic.php?comicID=124)

Man I love this comic.

RedX1z
Mon, 01-23-2006, 08:30 AM
http://holyzen.pixelatedempire.../comic.php?comicID=130 (http://holyzen.pixelatedempire.net/comic.php?comicID=130)

reminds me of bleach..*shrug* nice comics, though.

Mae
Sun, 01-29-2006, 03:17 PM
I picked up a used copy of this after running into fanart from the game all over the place, and actually I think it's a pretty awesome 2D fighting game. The characters are fun and have a lot of variety, and the stories are just as goofy as these games usuallly are. It's not an impossible game, but challenging enough to keep you interested, and I love the fast pace. I play Zappa, Dizzy, Faust, Millia, and of course JOHNNY, who is the best.... I hate playing agianst I-no the most, her damn hat always bites me... ouch.

HEAVEN OR HELL! LET"S ROCK!!!

http://mae.mediahalo.com/image/fi8fa79567.upload/1135818232721.jpg

TwisT
Sat, 02-11-2006, 02:36 PM
Well i love this game. This is the best fighting game there is. This game shws why 2D is still better then 3D fighting games.

I usuly play Testament, Sol Badguy, Baiken, Zato-1 and Slayer. Well even though i play with all of them i'm not that good with Baiken and Testament. They are pretty hard to play. But they are just too cool to not play.

And of course i use the coolest Winamp skin there is. The GG one. My WA-skin (http://hem.bredband.net/jimmy_twist/Storage/WA-skin.bmp)

Terracosmo
Sun, 02-12-2006, 11:10 AM
AWESOME i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Link me to that skin NOW! Testament is my favorite <3

Oh and KMFDM, nice choice of music

TwisT
Mon, 02-13-2006, 08:11 AM
Awesome GG Winamp Skin (http://www.winamp.com/skins/details.php?id=146397) just for you, Terra i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

And if you notise next to Testament you see two arrows. If you push them the character changes, so you can select your favorite ^^

Oh and Deadfire recommended KMFDM i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif . Although i didn't think they where anything special. On that album i just found Stray Bullet and Waste to be good and the rest where pretty mediocre.

bagandscalpel
Fri, 02-17-2006, 04:36 AM
http://image4.play-asia.com/350/PA.55466.001.jpg

Ooh, lookie! It's the box art for the Japanese console release! A most beautiful thing, indeed!

EDIT: How silly of me, forgot to mention that this IS Guilty Gear Slash.

Ryllharu
Fri, 02-17-2006, 07:00 AM
A.B.A. is cool, but she's so hard to use...of course, I did manage to master her tension move that results in the closest comparison to an Instant Kill, mmmm...415 damage.

This of course must lead us to another question. What are your favorite modes for your favorite characters?

I like Dizzy and Jam in normal, and Millia in EX. Dizzy is only slightly stronger in EX, but she loses a lot of good combos and timing, like the ice pillar and the lightning blades (sorry, I never bothered to learn the real names except for the tension moves). Jam loses all her awesome kicks, and thus 34 beat combos in EX (hehe, one and a half combos to finish ANYONE off in Gold Mode), so I'd never even consider using EX. Millia gains a lot from the EX mode, and generally becomes a much more technical fighter from the 'easy for a beginner character' she starts as.

bagandscalpel
Fri, 02-17-2006, 07:20 AM
Don't know if you know this or not, Ryllharu, but regrettably, when viewed from competitive level gaming, your question is moot because only the regular versions of each character are allowed for tournament play.

But just for the question's sake, I personally find EX Faust more amusing than his normal counterpart. Though moves like the Rerere no Tsuki (stab n' pull + slap combo) lose there original intent, he gains the AFRO BOMBER IK! Then Gold Faust of any variety defeats everybody else in one knockdown with infinite tension and meteors galore.

Ryllharu
Fri, 02-17-2006, 10:21 AM
I didn't know. I've never been much for tournament play. The people there are always INSANE and since I enjoy playing on more of an enjoyment level, I tend to avoid them entirely.

Oh well. It was more of a curiosity thing anyway, since a lot of the modes play so entirely different from each other.

nests
Fri, 02-17-2006, 11:29 AM
I'll probably get hated by all of you but here it goes.
Guilty Gear is defenetly one of the best if not the best looking 2D fighter out there it has some cool looking characters but thats about it.
The game lacks depth it is one of the games that if you learn how to play with one character you can pretty much use all of them. it is also too repetitive where people who play it specially pros just keep doing the samething over and over and even though everything on screen looks all nice and glittery it can get annoying seeing the samething over and over kind of like marvel vs capcom games.
One other thing I dislike also is that when they did finally made a sequal all they did was added stuff to the same backgrounds and add it one or two characters.
the characters in it also are not very original (moves wise) and they have one of the cheapest fianl bosses ever (that girl with the freaking guitar) the only character with originality is Dizzy which I think is one of the coolest ever characters for a fighting game ever.

Ryllharu
Fri, 02-17-2006, 12:20 PM
No need to hate, you just haven't looked into it deep enough.

What makes GG such an amazing fighting game is how underneath the simple, 2D fighter/ 'power bar' /super-attack, Capcom vs. Marvel appearance, GG really shines when you know what the features most people never bother to use actually do.

Once you start seeing people do Roman Cancels (or with False Roman Cancels for select moves) to increase the damage of combos slightly, you won't think pro combat is as uniform as it looks. By doing RC's, you cancel the animation of an attack, timing it so you can start another move immediately. Also, it stops the damage reduction of combos. (Tested it myself because I didn't believe it when I first heard it) Normally, as a combo continues, the damage will go down. So, the first move of a combo does normal damage, and the others would actually be stronger on their own. When you Roman Cancel, it starts the damage reducer fresh over again.

Isuka added in even more crazy features that I'll never end up using but some pros will. (Line changes, Line Tobashi Attack, stuff like that). Isuka is really more of a GG XX.5, it's a transition point and was according to the creators not meant to be a sequel and you can tell was primarily for Arcades (ranking system, etc). There's some meaning to why the creator called it Isuka ("Crossbill" bird), and it's either in the box or I forgot where I heard it from, that explains it pretty well.

That and some of the other features is what makes GG accessible to both newcomers, and keeps the hardcore people really into it.

And Leopaldon from Isuka is the cheapest boss (once you get way up the rankings). I-no is not hard at all once you figure out her pattern. (It's either duck, ducking while inching back/foward, or Faultless Guard). The one Sol fights (boss/Gold Mode) is much harder, and The Gold Mode Boss Dizzy (with 3 attacks that do WELL over 420 damage) in Mission mode is harder than that.

And the King of Fighters series has ALWAYS had the cheapest bosses. (Though Night Terror in SC3 may take that crown.)

As for the characters, yeah, they fight similarly in maybe groups of 3. Axel certainly doesn't fight the same way as Jam (I love Jam, can't use Axel at all). Slayer and I-no are both close up fighters, but I can use Slayer pretty well, but always get beat when I'm using I-no. Testament and Eddie/Zato-1 both use traps/projectiles, I'll give you that one. I can really only use half the characters all that effectively, but I'm only really good (not tourney level, but up there) with 3, who don't really fight all the same. Dizzy is Long/Mid range, Millia is Close/Mid, and Jam is Mid/Close (yes, the order I wrote them in does make a difference).

Terracosmo
Fri, 02-17-2006, 01:59 PM
Though my initial reaction was indeed hatred towards nests, I'll have to agree with Ryllharu. You haven't looked into it deep enough. There are explanations to everything you wrote in your post, and saying that "if you learn how to play with one character you can pretty much use all of them" shows that you know in fact nothing about Guilty Gear.

Continue?

bagandscalpel
Fri, 02-17-2006, 10:21 PM
I applaud the brilliant summary of the game two posts up. However, as it is, Isuka is, and will always be, regarded by the GG comunity as a whole as a "party game," preferrably played at the enjoyment level. Slash is a return to the traditional one-on-one engine which, with all the tweaking and additions, can be viewed as a true "sequel" to XX or an upgrade to #RELOAD.

And to add on to Ryllharu's near complete list of characters' fighting styles, Holy Order Sol and ABA pretty much fall into a new category of their own.

HOS and ABA are both close-range, "reserve" type characters. HOS has his charge gauge which must be filled in order to maximize damage output for his specials, and ABA has her bloodpacks which switch her inbetween Moroha (berserker) modes. While HOS can be played like regular Sol, true damage output can never be achieved without increasing the Charge Gauge. And ABA needs to be able to switch accordingly between Moroha and regular so as to punish, while avoid being punished, herself.

nests
Sat, 02-18-2006, 01:38 AM
Yeah I admit I never looked in to it deep enough its just that it never really caught my attention that much, maybe because I though of it to similar to MVC games as for what I meant by "if you learn how to play with one character you can pretty much use all of them" is that all characters pretty much follow the same pattern where you pretty much have to figure out how to juggle your oppomnet in the air an beat the crap out of him by using your character combos

Edit: my favorite character was Chip but the pros where I live kept telling me that he sucked

darkshadow
Sat, 02-18-2006, 11:33 AM
i like guilty gear a lot, i have ggxx #reload on pc, and its pretty awesome ( jam all the way ), but can someone tell me what guilty gear isuka is?

bagandscalpel
Sat, 02-18-2006, 03:10 PM
What it is is an amalgamation of Guilty Gear and the party game.

To sum it up, up to a maximum of four characters can have it out in a two-laned (background + foreground) arena. Because of this setup, a manual about-face button has been added, along with a couple of new attacks for each character that takes advantage of the two lanes and backattacks.

The main game itself is essentially like the GGXX survival mode. Also included are new character ABA, new boss Leopaldon, and RoboKy MkII, which can be customized to be outfitted with just about any special attack of your choice. A color edit mode is incorporated, as well, and the GG Boost mode is basically a side-scrolling brawler of sorts (think Tekken Force mode).

All in all quite an amusing game. Can't be played seriously, though, as the balancing issues are completely thrown out of whack with the inclusion of multiple characters (not to mention, ABA is horrendously broken in Isuka).

XanBcoo
Sat, 02-18-2006, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by: Ryllharu
This of course must lead us to another question. What are your favorite modes for your favorite characters?

Gold. Freaking. Chipp.

He's so fast it's hilarious. When I'm tired of playing and just wanna mess around I always resort to playing with Gold Chipp. He can pretty much run faster than he can teleport.

Terracosmo
Wed, 05-24-2006, 09:46 PM
The PS2 version of Guilty Gear XX Slash is now out in Japan. I snatched a torrent from piratebay.org, so I recommend that place for anyone else who might want it (game is rather well seeded too).

Impressions: Well, improved A.B.A is interesting and so is Order Sol (although I don't understand the latter's level up system in the least). It's just too bad that with this being the third X2 revision (not counting the different Reload versions), things are getting too damn old. I am honestly sick of having to unlock EX characters once again. And the only way to do so is by beating those absurd missions. Bah.

My verdict, only get this to try the new characters and moves - otherwise stick to X2 or X2 Reload (whichever you got, because you better have one of them or you will die).