PDA

View Full Version : who is isshin

death-wing
Mon, 10-31-2005, 06:57 PM
ok, well ive been payin pretty good atention to the anime, but i think i missed who isshin is, cuz everyone keeps saying how strong he is. if he hasnt been announced in anime yet, can someone plz tell me who he is, how he's related to being a captain, and possibly any special roles he has?

Terracosmo
Mon, 10-31-2005, 07:26 PM
Kurosaki Isshin is Ichigo's father (GOOOOOD MOOOORNING ICHIGOOOO), who was recently revealed to be a shinigami in the manga.

As for the rest we don't know more than you do i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Nin10doman
Mon, 10-31-2005, 07:27 PM
Isshin is the admiral of the Soul Society Navy. He commands the imperial fleet to protect SS from other Soul nations across the plasmus oceans that seperate them. He is particularly important because soon there could be a war between the Soul Society we know and one of the Soul nations to the east (I forget the name).

Seriously.

PSJ
Mon, 10-31-2005, 07:50 PM
Isshin is Yachiru's cat and is also 5th seat of 3rd squad.

basey44
Mon, 10-31-2005, 08:17 PM
wait i thought isshin was that guy ichigo beat up at the start of ep1

kAi
Mon, 10-31-2005, 08:55 PM
death-wing, you should go read the manga now.

death-wing
Mon, 10-31-2005, 09:05 PM
will do, thanks

Phoenix20578
Mon, 10-31-2005, 09:10 PM
Wow, slaughtered doesn't even begin to describe this thread.

And yes, go read the manga.

6Zabuza9
Tue, 11-01-2005, 01:29 AM
actually isshin is a hollow. who can transform into a pimp car by saying "ISSHIN TRANSFORM"

Kensee
Tue, 11-01-2005, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by: 6Zabuza9
actually isshin is a hollow. who can transform into a pimp car by saying "ISSHIN TRANSFORM"

Now thats a pimped out ride ... ::cues MTV's pimp my ride theme song::

bagandscalpel
Tue, 11-08-2005, 02:55 AM
But seriously, who wants to support my theory that Isshin was the 11th Squad Captain before Kenpachi?

Barumonk
Tue, 11-08-2005, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by: bagandscalpel
But seriously, who wants to support my theory that Isshin was the 11th Squad Captain before Kenpachi?

Considering Kenpachi killed the previous captain and took his haori, and that Isshin stll has his haori as well as his life, i'm pretty sure your wrong. ^^

bagandscalpel
Tue, 11-08-2005, 03:09 AM
I hear and remember that, but, seriously

ARE YOU GOING TO TAKE *THAT* BLIND MAN'S WORD ON IT?

Yes, I know I could very well be completely wrong, but what Tousen said doesn't exactly have to be the truth.
Another thing, if we were to speak of the haori, what Isshin wears looks to be roughly the amount missing from Kenpachi's trophy.

Besides, if Isshin were a captain, once upon a time, the 11th squad is the only one I can see him fitting in.

EpyonNext
Tue, 11-08-2005, 04:11 PM
I'll bet money he was the 6th Squad captain before Byakuya.

Assassin
Tue, 11-08-2005, 10:30 PM
Ya, im for 6th squad as well.

He can't be be the 1st or 2nd squad captain, nor the 12th or 4th squad captain, as those are specialiity areas. And we know that kenpachi killed the previous 11th captain, so thats out. We know that the 8th and 13th squad captains (ukitake and the samurai) have been there since the begining. That leave squads 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, and 10.

Now squads 3, 5 and 9 belong to Gin, Aizen and Tousen respectively, and it seems unlikely that isshin was commader of any of these. So were just left with 6, 7 and 10. All 3 have equal odds, but it would make the story kooler if isshin used to command the 6th squad before.

urahara_rulez
Wed, 11-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by: EpyonNext

lolz, imagine that...
kuchiki byakuya saying... "domo ohisashiburi... Isshin taicho!"
i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif

Terracosmo
Thu, 11-10-2005, 03:14 AM
I'm thinking he was the former 5th captain, who eventually left because his vice captain Aizen started to behave in a weird and EVIIIL way.

Watch me be right i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

bagandscalpel
Thu, 11-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Or even 3rd Squad, for that matter.

After all, Gin wasn't ALWAYS a commander.

Though, stopping to think about it, I wonder what the Gotei 13 were thinking at the time of his appointment... I bet Aizen's soul slayer had to work overtime to make Gin look convincing enough to the rest.

Munsu
Thu, 11-10-2005, 04:57 PM
What makes you think that Gin by his own powers is not good enough to get appointed as Captain?

Knives122
Thu, 11-10-2005, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by: Terracosmo
I'm thinking he was the former 5th captain, who eventually left because his vice captain Aizen started to behave in a weird and EVIIIL way.

Watch me be right

you know I've been saying that ever since we found out Isshin was a shinigami right?

Prof. Chaos
Thu, 11-10-2005, 08:31 PM
Isshin couldn't have been 5th because Gin was his VC for a while who got promoted to 3rd Captain. Now Isshin could either have been 3rd or 11th. We can't rule out the 11th yet because if you look at what looks like what is left of a Captain's robe on Isshin in Ch 188, it looks very similar to Kenpachi's with the pattern and tears along the bottom. It's frayed and has black dots along the bottom. 11th would seem to fit his personality the best.

Assassin
Thu, 11-10-2005, 11:26 PM
I dont understand why people keep making the 11th conection because of some robes. this is not a jigsaw puzzle. It was clearly stated that kenpachi KILLED the previous captain. not 'defeated and banished to earth' but killed.

Munsu
Fri, 11-11-2005, 05:13 AM
Although I agree with you...

It would make sense him being the 11th captain... Make people think that you are dead, then sneak out unoticed to Earth and work with Urahara in whatever they are plotting, if indeed they are working together...

LobsterMagnet
Fri, 11-11-2005, 08:05 AM
Or how about for what ever reason Isshin left the 11th squad then who ever was his replacement was killed by kenpachi.

ChaosK
Fri, 11-11-2005, 01:01 PM
from what i see isshin cant be a number of captains

11th: zaraki KILLED previous 1
13th: he was 1 of yamato's first students
8th: also yamato's first student
2nd: it was yoruichi than soifon, besides that fighting style doesnt suit isshin
1st: yamato has always been there
5th: it seems isshin knew aizen when he was at SS so i'm guessing they were both captains at the
6th: byakuya has been there longer than isshin left i think
4th: isshin a medical shiniagmi? my ass
12th: there were only 2 research development leaders, urahara then...shit i forgot his name. krotchski?

this would leave 3rd, 7th, 9th and 10th.

i'm riding on either 3rd or 10th because it seems like the 7th and 9th captain joined together and rose to captain together.

3rd is possible because we saw that gin was a VC before he was acctually a captain
and
10th is possible because we all know hitsuyaga couldn't have been there very long.

Assassin
Fri, 11-11-2005, 07:47 PM
congratulations. You've repeated exactly what i said like 7 posts ago

bagandscalpel
Fri, 11-11-2005, 09:00 PM
And some of you are still taking Tousen too seriously.

I'd figure with the revealing of his loyalties, his credibility would be completely shattered. Besides, Tousen never confirmed that Zaraki killed said previous leader of Squad 11; I think he's simply assuming.

EpyonNext
Fri, 11-11-2005, 10:06 PM
I'm sticking with 6th.

Why? Watch the episode(41) when Ichigo and Byakuya face off on the Bridge. Ukitake says to Byakuya, "Who is that?"

Byakuya replies, "No relation. At least, not to the man who just flashed through your mind, my senior."

Thats what leads me to beleive that Isshin was 6th squad captain. Couple it with the fact that Yourichi calls Byakuya "Little Byakuya", and the evidence that Isshin probably left around the same time as Urahara and Yourichi. Also add in that Isshin was probably much younger at the time and might have looked like Ichigo(remember, they are family and looks do pass on with genetics) you can get a strong case for Isshin being 6th squad captain.

At least thats my theory.

Zidoas
Sat, 11-12-2005, 12:33 AM
I'm sticking with 6th.

Why? Watch the episode(41) when Ichigo and Byakuya face off on the Bridge. Ukitake says to Byakuya, "Who is that?"

Byakuya replies, "No relation. At least, not to the man who just flashed through your mind, my senior."

Thats what leads me to beleive that Isshin was 6th squad captain. Couple it with the fact that Yourichi calls Byakuya "Little Byakuya", and the evidence that Isshin probably left around the same time as Urahara and Yourichi. Also add in that Isshin was probably much younger at the time and might have looked like Ichigo(remember, they are family and looks do pass on with genetics) you can get a strong case for Isshin being 6th squad captain.

When Ukitake says to Byakuya "Who is that?" , the image of Kaien (his VC of whom was killed) flashed thru his mind. Hence Byakuya's "No relation. At least, not to the man who just flashed through your mind, my senior."

Your theory is flawed.

HOWEVER, Isshin being a captain of the 6th isn't that farfetch simply because Byakuya wasn't the captain of the 6th for that long. He only became the captain of the 6th shortly before Rukia was admitted into the Kuchiki family (forgot which episode this was in).

Isshin being the captain of the 3rd is the most feasible one because as many have posted earlier, Gin was VC of Aizen. So if Isshin left, Gin wouldn't pass up the chance to take the captain seat nor would Aizen wants him to pass up the captain seat since they are working together. Captains have that much MORE power in politics.

Isshin being the captain of the 10th would work as well since we know Hinmori joined before Hitsugaya during flashbacks. Therefore Hitsugaya, like ChaosKiddo have said, couldn't have been there very long.

Assassin
Sat, 11-12-2005, 01:41 AM
So its either squad 10, 6 or 3. We all agree that its unlikely to be Tousen's or that Fox guy's squad, since they both persumably became captains around the same time. And for it the be the 11th squad, isshin would have to be super old, becase he would need to be the captain before the previous 11th captain.

How about we have a wager. Everyone place thier bets, and when we finally find out, the winner[s] gets a prize....say, a custom title?

that is if terra/krb agree to it. What do you say guys?

kAi
Sat, 11-12-2005, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by: bagandscalpel
And some of you are still taking Tousen too seriously.

I'd figure with the revealing of his loyalties, his credibility would be completely shattered. Besides, Tousen never confirmed that Zaraki killed said previous leader of Squad 11; I think he's simply assuming.

No, Kenpachi did kill the previous captain, Tousen is speaking the truth, to become captain any other way you would need to know Bankai, and all that stuff that Tousen said before the kill the former captain part. It's clearly stated so that you know that's what happened and how Kenpachi became captain.

EpyonNext
Sat, 11-12-2005, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by: Zidoas

I'm sticking with 6th.

When Ukitake says to Byakuya "Who is that?" , the image of Kaien (his VC of whom was killed) flashed thru his mind. Hence Byakuya's "No relation. At least, not to the man who just flashed through your mind, my senior."

Your theory is flawed.

Think again. When Rukia became part of the 13th squad, Bayakuya was already a Captain. How can Kaien then be his superior when Kaien himself is only a VC?

Munsu
Sat, 11-12-2005, 08:46 AM
When he said "my senior" he was probably saying "senpai" to Ukitake...

If not, I think your theory is valid...

EpyonNext
Sat, 11-12-2005, 08:58 AM
I just listened to the part. Check the Lunar Sub and start at 17:40, Byakuya starts talking at 17:46 and at no point in the following lines does he say the word senpai.

Munsu
Sat, 11-12-2005, 09:01 AM
I didn't say that he actually said "senpai", he might have said something equivalent... the problem is not if he said it or not, the problem is to whom it was directed...

EpyonNext
Sat, 11-12-2005, 09:08 AM
I didn't mean to come off as you saying he said senpai(although I can see how I came off like that, I apologise). I just wanted to say that I checked the part(and give refrences) for Byakuya at the least saying senpai. I agree there is a point that he could have been calling Ukitake his senior. However, before taking that into account, remeber that Byakuya is the head of a noble family. I don't think he could call much of anyone outside Captin Yamamoto or the Central 46 his senior.

Zidoas
Sat, 11-12-2005, 11:53 AM
When Byakuya said "...my senior" he is referring to Ukitake, of whom is one of the first students of Yamaji. Therefore, Ukitake is older in age and place than Byakuya, hence the "...my senior". Budweineken is correct. Just a simple manipulation of the english language.

"Think again. When Rukia became part of the 13th squad, Bayakuya was already a Captain. How can Kaien then be his superior when Kaien himself is only a VC?" - EpyonNext

My explanation explained your statement.

And like I've stated, Rukia said it herself that Byakuya was only appointed the rank of Captain SHORTLY BEFORE Rukia has been admitted to the Kuchiki Family. Therefore the theory that Isshin is the previous 6th squad Captain is arguable and feasible.

Good Idea Budwineken. I place my bet that Isshin is the former captain of the 3rd.

mage
Sat, 11-12-2005, 12:12 PM
why wouldn't isshin be a captain of the 4th squad? he runs a hospital on earth, so it doesn't sound unlikely.

Assassin
Sat, 11-12-2005, 04:40 PM
ha, i totally forgot about that. but he seems too....violent.

i can just picture him waking up his patients in the morning by drop kicking them in the face

Zhan
Sun, 11-20-2005, 07:42 PM
I don't think we can rule out the 2nd squad. Remember Soifon was Yoruichi's underling, she was never part of the Gotei 13 in the first place therefore the previous 2nd captain is still unknown.

ArcZero
Mon, 11-21-2005, 06:49 AM
Oh wow. It's been a long time since i've been here. But anyways, i know it's a bit off topic but Yoruichi was NEVER EVER a captain. If you read ch159 again it will say that she was head of the executive militia or something like that. She has captain lvl abilities and all but never a captain.

Originally posted by: Chaoskiddo
from what i see isshin cant be a number of captains

11th: zaraki KILLED previous 1
13th: he was 1 of yamato's first students
8th: also yamato's first student
2nd: it was yoruichi than soifon, besides that fighting style doesnt suit isshin
1st: yamato has always been there
5th: it seems isshin knew aizen when he was at SS so i'm guessing they were both captains at the
6th: byakuya has been there longer than isshin left i think
4th: isshin a medical shiniagmi? my ass
12th: there were only 2 research development leaders, urahara then...shit i forgot his name. krotchski?

this would leave 3rd, 7th, 9th and 10th.

i'm riding on either 3rd or 10th because it seems like the 7th and 9th captain joined together and rose to captain together.

3rd is possible because we saw that gin was a VC before he was acctually a captain
and
10th is possible because we all know hitsuyaga couldn't have been there very long.

I agree with you completely except about the 2nd and maybe 6th squads. Isshin most likely left with Urahara and Yoruichi. Like i just said, Yoruichi was never a captain so Soifong became a captain after Yoruichi left. So that means we don't know who was captain of 2nd squad before her. As for 6th, i'm guessing if Yoruichi is old enough to call Byakuya "little" that would means when she was still in soul society, he'd probably be a little kid or a teenager.

Edit: Oh and Yoruichi doesnt have a Zanpaktou (^_^)

Munsu
Tue, 11-22-2005, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by: ArcZero
Oh wow. It's been a long time since i've been here. But anyways, i know it's a bit off topic but Yoruichi was NEVER EVER a captain. If you read ch159 again it will say that she was head of the executive militia or something like that. She has captain lvl abilities and all but never a captain.

No one said that she was a captain...

ArcZero
Tue, 11-22-2005, 05:41 AM
i wasn't refering to you. but there were a few ppl who say she was the captain of 2nd squad before soifong

Munsu
Tue, 11-22-2005, 11:02 AM
I missed Chaoskiddo mentioning that... Even though I read his post a couple of times...

Barumonk
Mon, 12-05-2005, 08:43 PM
Random theory I realized today, probably not new though. I don't really feel like explaining too much, so i'll give you my extremely flawed logic thats probably been said 100 times.

-Kurosaki is probably a fake surname.
-Ganju looks like a young version of Isshin.
-Ichigo looks like Kaien.
-Ichigo was refered to as a pureblood, which can possibly mean that he is of noble blood.
-Details on who Ichigo's mother was and what happened to her are somewhat inaccurate, seeing as different dates were given for events by both Ichigo and Isshin.
-If one member of the Shiba clan went missing right before, during, or after its apparent fall from grace within the Gotei 13, then I dont think anyone aside from the Shiba clan would officially search for him. (Isshin)

.. and thats the end of it. Feel free to ignore it. ^^

PSJ
Tue, 12-06-2005, 07:54 AM
Sounds interesting, now that you mention it Ganju and Isshin look kind of similar and Ichigo looks like Kaiens clone.

Konohamaru
Wed, 12-07-2005, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by: Barumonk
-Ichigo was refered to as a pureblood, which can possibly mean that he is of noble blood.

what? when? proof needed please

Barumonk
Thu, 12-08-2005, 09:10 PM
Chapter 187, although I'm probably mistaken. It might have just been the way the translator said it. Anyway, I can't seem to get ahold of the script from that chapter since ocean translated it. (ocean translated a good majority of the bleach manga chapters, but then took all the translations down after people were taking credit for them as their own)

BleachWater
Tue, 12-20-2005, 09:27 PM
Sorry.

BleachWater
Tue, 12-20-2005, 09:33 PM
I am learning the ropes. Just deleting my post. Sorry seniors.

BleachWater
Tue, 12-20-2005, 09:35 PM

Ok, it's settle Isshin is an ex-captain, as to who he exactly is we'll have to find out.

Phoenix20578
Tue, 12-20-2005, 09:38 PM
They'll proberly explain who Isshin really is when the Allencar arc is over. I'm still betting on him being a previous Captain.

@Bleachwater: Double posts are bad, but triple posts are worse. Use the edit button.

Dionysos
Wed, 12-21-2005, 01:37 PM
i think he was aizens captain, i really dont know why...i just know it

ChaosK
Wed, 12-21-2005, 09:08 PM
im riding on 10th captain, hitsuyaga is relatively new...

elmojo
Sun, 12-25-2005, 09:56 PM
i think he might have been aizen's captain, when aizen was vice captain i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif

thats how aizen propably knew about the research stuff

Munsu
Mon, 12-26-2005, 01:02 AM
The one doing the inventions was Urahara, not Isshin...

elmojo
Mon, 12-26-2005, 03:41 AM
yea thats true, thats not what i meant

isshin left with him and urahara propably led the research division, so the only link to urahara's info was isshin himself and vice captains tend to snoop around on what their captains are doing, and as far as aizen is concerned, he's quite the intellectual villian so its very possible that he would snoop around

SOLDIER [X]
Thu, 12-29-2005, 05:07 AM
He had to have left before Urahara.

Important points to note:

-Rukia knows urahara
-If Ishin was there at the same time as Urahara's banishment he would look familiar to Rukia while she was living there.
-Urahara was banished within Rukia's time as a seated member of the Gotei 13
-Yourichi left before Rukia which explains why she does not really know her

Not sure if these are all true I read the manga last year and have been doing the weekly thing for awhile now.

Munsu
Thu, 12-29-2005, 07:24 AM
From what I see Rukia met Urahara when she got injured in the first episode, so I don't think she knew him from before...

Dionysos
Thu, 12-29-2005, 08:36 AM
Urahara and Yoruichi left to the same time, because they said that Yoruichi helped Urahara to escape

Munsu
Thu, 12-29-2005, 05:48 PM
Who said Urahara escaped?

All I remember is that he go banned from SS...

ChaosK
Sat, 12-31-2005, 08:17 PM
well if he's technically dead, and banished from soul society, technically i'd say he's supposed to go to hell or something, but urahara is on earth, which means he most likely ran from something.

i always thought rukia met urahara well before the first episode, i mean i'm sure it wasnt the first time rukia was injured when she fought taht hollow in episode one.

isshin has no idea who rukia is, i forgot in my long post before, but byakuya probably didn't know isshin. or else, he would've recognized kurosaki when fighting ichigo. so isshin doesn't know rukia, but urahara might've told him something about rukia's identity.

ChibiYali
Thu, 01-26-2006, 05:57 PM
ever noticed how glad isshin was to let rukia stay in the house? and how he's always pretended to be a dumb idiot, while when in shinigami mode, he was calm and smart? He's hiding a hell of a lot of things, and there's an entire Narnia sized wardrobe closet with skeletons with Isshin..

Also, I'm all for pre-Gin, don't know why i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

ramuva
Fri, 01-27-2006, 02:31 AM
This is a really long shot, but how about this:

It was said, that there are (were) 4 noble families, 4 cornerstones of soul society. It appears that there is only one left (kuchiki). Thats why Byakuya is saying - if I won't follow the rules who else will follow them.
This could mean that the rest (so far we know that 2 of 3, yoruichi's family and shiba (dead kaien, ganjo and his one handed sister) are living outside of soul society, living in exile).

It might be that the 4th noble family is Kurosaki.

6Zabuza9
Fri, 01-27-2006, 02:43 AM
lots of people believe that and even i believe that. but if it was then shouldn't the captains who know about the noble families recognize the name of kurosaki in kurosaki ichigo and think he is a nolbe family person?

anphorus
Fri, 01-27-2006, 08:29 AM
I seem to remember one of the Captains did react to the name "Kurosaki" although I can't remember who, or when.

I think Kurosaki is probably a false name Isshin took anyways. The Kurosaki family's resemblance to the Shiba family (not just Kaien, look at Ganju and his sister too) may not be coincidence.

Splash!
Fri, 01-27-2006, 03:08 PM
i think that captain was Ukitake