PDA

View Full Version : Regarding discussions about religious matters & politics

Terracosmo
Sun, 10-30-2005, 01:12 PM
"The admins and mods will allow political/religious/philosophical discussions but its a one time deal only. All of us will be heavily watching these threads to see that they don't turn into flame wars. If things go well, then more threads like these can exist. But if one person starts up the flaming, then the thread will be immediately locked and if any other threads like that are created, the topic creator will be warned and his thread locked."

This is the verdict we have reached. Happy hunting i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

SK
Tue, 11-01-2005, 02:05 PM
Doesn't matter anyway, there's no point of starting topics such as these on GW.

~1~

Honoko
Tue, 11-01-2005, 02:18 PM
these topics are usually rampant in the general discussions folder tho. someone's always gotta express their opinion on the iraq war or an issue of racism in there.

masamuneehs
Tue, 11-01-2005, 06:39 PM
These topics are hard to regulate and participate in properly, but like Honoko said, people will express themselves. It is a forum... If you don't like them or have nothing to say, stay away.

I have a feeling the mods will do fine with the regulation of such topics.

Strike Freedom
Tue, 11-08-2005, 02:47 PM
Personally, I believe a thread as such will be beneficial. It will allow people to express different ideas and emotions (as long as not extreme) in such a way that if we stay open-minded to each individual we may actually have a better understanding of certain issues, both political and religious.

ImitationSanen
Wed, 01-18-2006, 01:50 AM
I would adivse trying to keep religious discussion out of the threads. I am a practicing christian so its not that am I not religious however, in the current state of the world, differences in religion are leading to wars all over the world. (Well at least the insurgents claim to be muslims, havent met a muslim that agrees with that tho >_<) Until you've walked down a road and seen a man shot for holding a bible you wouldnt believe the kind of conflict religious discussion can bring about.I mean were all intelligent enough to discuss politics here if everyone speaks with a clear mind and tries to keep that fire to a nice gentle weenie roast, instead of a nuclear post war.

Carnage
Sat, 01-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Haha. War starts beacuse two colloge students start bitching to eachother about their religions. THat would be funny. But I do agree with you Imitation that war is usually started from religion.

Terracosmo
Sun, 01-22-2006, 10:40 AM
Everybody should just stop taking everything so bloody seriously. If we can't even discuss things like this on a forum, how can the world ever hope to cope with different opinions?

THINK ABOUT YOUR CHILDREN!

ImitationSanen
Sun, 01-22-2006, 11:58 PM
Because Terra, sadly while everyone else doesn't take it seriously I have to spend my days tracking down people who got caught up in that not serious discussion, took it seriously, got recruited into Al qaeda, The peoples liberation front, or other such groups that troll message boards and college debate groups for people that want their voice heard louder than everyone elses. That one off color comment may mean nothing and we all laugh, or that may be the straw that breaks the back of a student at Oxford who decides instead of using his genetic engineering degree for the good of mankind, hes going to let use it to develop nerve agents and become the next genocidal maniac like Chemical Ali.

Someone made the comment "as long as its not too extreme" well the problem is, they have a right to speak too. You know what makes extremist lash out more than anything? No one listens to a word they have to say and dismisses them with little or no regard. The only way anyone listens is if they march around in white hoods, or blow up buildings. If you want political discussion you damn well better allow everyone to speak their mind no matter how offensive you find it. You can't have selective freedom of speech, disagree if you want its your right, but on the same token no man has the right to deny another of his opinion. Just realize that before you open that pandoras box in here. I love gotwoot, I dont want it to turn into a warzone. I've been to a few in my lifetime, started over little debates just like this, that get way out of hand.

(I'd like to note, that I do not endorse the acts of any extremist movement (Im a republican <_&gti/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif, in fact it is my job description to crush these people with extreme prejudice. I offered an explanation behind possible reasoning for their actions not an excuse. An attack on innocent people in any culture is vile and dispicable"

Terracosmo
Mon, 01-23-2006, 12:00 AM
It will only become a warzone if people allow it to.

ImitationSanen
Mon, 01-23-2006, 12:05 AM
Well just figured id offer my 2 cents into the issue. I'm wondering when I became such a coward when it came to politics. (Edit. I figured it out, now that its my ass on the line, I consider my political opinions far more carefully) Ohwell, if we do open up the political arena, im excited, Im one hell of a debater =0.

Emotion at times denies us self control, wars dont start with people shooting each other, they start when people can't control their hatred for the other side.

Either way I guess I have no control im just a ~Genin~, but I figured id weigh in with some of my thoughts.

So were still not getting that Hentai section eh? =p

Kraco
Mon, 01-23-2006, 04:00 AM
I think it's quite unlikely, and taking the thing to extremes to think that Gotwoot forums might push somebody over the line to become a terrorist. No small forum can take such a responsibility as to consider possibilities like that. The owner of this site might as well close the board, if he became afraid of such things. If the high improbability happened that somebody seriously cracked because of something he read here, it's very likely he would have cracked anyway, maybe a week later because of something he saw elsewhere. So, it would just be unfortunate, but unavoidable. And different people than anime forum managers would need to deal with the issue.

ImitationSanen
Mon, 01-23-2006, 04:48 AM
"And different people than anime forum managers would need to deal with the issue. "

Yeah that would be me, I just hate having to do my job hehe =0

Your right Kraco, living on fear of consequences is exactly the opposite of what we should be doing, thanks for reminding me of that=-0

OpTicaL
Thu, 08-17-2006, 11:42 PM
LOL, let the wars begin!

Seriously, political/religious/philosophical topics are no different than 2 people disagreeing on a particular topic with different views. It's labeled as political/religious/philosophical because those ideas and beliefs have gathered a mass of followers who think the same way. Kinda like Republicans and Democrats.

Honestly people shouldn't follow someone elses idea or belief, that just shows a lack of originality.