PDA

View Full Version : My Doom Experience

Assertn
Sat, 10-22-2005, 04:32 AM
So I went to the Grauman's Chinese Theatre today to go see the new Doom movie with some friends. I came in not knowing what to expect, and left not knowing what to think. I really didn't know what to make of it. As far as 90% of the movie was concerned, Doom was nothing more than a genetic hybrid of Aliens and Dawn of the Dead. In case you haven't seen the movie yet, nor played the game, I'll spare you the details comparing them. Just trust me that pretty much all of the elements in this 90% timeframe followed just about every sci-fi horror cliche you could think of. There were some creepy moments, I'll give it that, and the gore level remained true enough to the game to perhaps even elicit Jack Thompson's attention, however the defining moments of the movie would have to be the obligatory cameos of a few nostalgic artifacts, including the pre-level map system and the renowned BFG. Also let's not forget the remaining 10% of the movie, which offers a complete 180 to the genre and places the viewer in a comical (but very enjoyable) FPS-style run through hordes of demons, as well as a little something afterwards to suit more of the Rock's tastes.

In short: Come only with the expectation of reliving the Doom (mainly 3, anyway) experience.

Anyway, that was a quick synopsis I devised leaving the theatre, wasn't too shabby if I say so myself. At this point I was pretty tired though, so I broke away from my friends to head back to my apartment. After a couple miles down the dimly lit roads crossing Sunset and Hollywood Blvd, I come to my street, but something seemed weird. A few cars were stopped in front of the garage, and the front door to my complex was open ajar, with the lobby seeming unusually dark. I tried the elevators...didn't work. So I went around the side to check the stairs...pitch black. At this point I find that the power is out on my block and so several people were stuck outside, waiting for the garage gate to get its power back. The sky seemed to have a particularly orange haze, and then it hit me: I am living the Doom experience. So, naturally, I decide to brave the staircase and get to my room on the top floor. Pulling out my cell phone and opening it up so the screen casts a vibrant ambience, I illuminate the path before me with not much more light than the all-too-familiar flashlight from Doom 3, and I go into FPS mode. That must've been the quietest staircase I've ever walked up, and it just so happened to be not even an hour after the theatre.

Needless to say, I survived the onslaught of Imps and power has been restored to recite this exciting adventure to the Interwebs. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

aznroyale
Sat, 10-22-2005, 08:33 AM
I want to watch this movie -_- badly!

SK
Sat, 10-22-2005, 08:43 AM
I don't want to see this movie......ever.

~1~

GhostKaGe
Sat, 10-22-2005, 08:53 AM
Movies based on game always suck its some sort of cosmic law.

aznroyale
Sat, 10-22-2005, 09:44 AM
i heard that the movie was great

aznimperialx
Sat, 10-22-2005, 11:53 AM
Its good thats it great because me and my friends are going to see it tomorrow

masamuneehs
Sat, 10-22-2005, 01:10 PM
I'd have to pay over $8 dollars to see this film, not to mention food and drink (which i always just try to smuggle my own into the theatre, but they're catching on...) so NO!
Thanks for the review though.

Assassin
Sat, 10-22-2005, 01:45 PM
i really do want to see this movie, but i dont have great expectations of it. i know its not gonna be an oscar winner, but just a gore fest. But, as masamuneehs said its not worth spending the money (10 dollars in my case) on it. i'll probably just download it after a while.

Assertn
Sat, 10-22-2005, 03:58 PM
pansies....i spent $11.25 on my ticket

then again, grauman's chinese theatre is like.....the most famous theatre in america

6Zabuza9
Sat, 10-22-2005, 06:32 PM
i wanna watch this movie. but it's 18A NOOOOOOOOOO i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Nin10doman
Sat, 10-22-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by: GhostKaGe
Movies based on game always suck its some sort of cosmic law.

Hey, Mortal Kombat was good. The first one anyways.

And it can't be the only exception.

The Heretic Azazel
Sat, 10-22-2005, 08:36 PM
MK2 may have killed all the coolness the first one had though..

Xollence
Sun, 10-23-2005, 12:00 AM
The movie overall isn't that good, but there's this one amazing part that makes up for it.

dark maginn
Sun, 10-23-2005, 12:33 AM
i dont want to see this movie the game was pretty good though

ChiaCheese
Mon, 10-24-2005, 01:57 AM
i saw this movie today. basically, they took an FPS and made a POS. that's about all i have to say about it.

RedX1z
Mon, 10-24-2005, 10:27 AM
since i'm not paying, i don't know and i don't care, if it sucks, i feel bad for the friend that's paying for me, other than that, it's win-win..