PDA

View Full Version : Paradise Kiss

Mae
Thu, 10-20-2005, 05:07 PM
I don't think Pardise Kiss will be too popular around here (more shoujo then shounen), but I thought I'd start a thread for the heck of it. I read the manga and thought it was decent, so I'll probably follow this as well.

The basic story revolves around a teenage girl who studies hard and gets good grades but doesn't really have any ambitions in life. She meets some very ambitious and very strange fashion design students who convince her to work for them as their model. *mild spoilers*: After meeting them she starts questioning her own goals at the same time as she starts to become drawn to their charismatic leader.

So yes, the show is about fashion, but if they can make interesting anime about cooking and tennis, then why not? The first ep is released (find it on animesuki) and although the opening was a bit.. odd, and the SD moments looked REALLY odd, I thought it was ok overall.

dark maginn
Thu, 10-20-2005, 05:12 PM
sounds alright will check it out

XanBcoo
Thu, 10-20-2005, 07:25 PM
Ditto. I'm not above shoujo series (Kare Kano is a favorite of mine).

Though I don't know how about all that fashion jazz...

Edit: Just saw the first ep.

Not sure I like this one too much. It's kinda...slow. Is the whole thing this slow paced? I also don't really like Yukari's voice. Doesn't seem right for the role.
The ED was funny. You were right Mae, the SD moments are bizarre...

Edit 2: Ahhh, I knew I recognized Seiji's voice! It's Urahara! Shinichiro Miki <3

paulfear
Fri, 10-21-2005, 07:19 AM
read some viewer reviews of this on another forum and a lot of people are compairing it with beck. so its a shoujo beck-like story in the fashion world or something? i hear the manga is pretty popular, but i don't think this show will be as good as honey and clover (which it is replacing since that show finished).

dark maginn
Fri, 10-21-2005, 08:22 AM
i just saw the first eps and i didnt like it

Kraco
Fri, 10-21-2005, 10:18 AM
Well, since I consider Aishiteru ze Baby one of the best anime series I have seen (and Fruits Basket wasn't bad at all, either), I know better than to underestimate shoujo. Maybe I'll have a look. And since Animenfo seems to tell the total number of episodes is only 12, so it can't stay slow forever...

XanBcoo
Fri, 10-21-2005, 11:00 AM
I love how the ED is "Do You Wanna".

Love that song.

Kraco
Fri, 10-21-2005, 06:10 PM
Well, the opening certainly was strange. I thought I had seen the most unusual opening with Moon Phase, but this was still odder (although not necessarily in a positive sense). The episode didn't seem interesting at all in the beginning, but after the first half I found myself watching it with at least slight interest. I will most likely get also the next episode when it appears. If for no other reason then at least to find out if anything actually happens in this series...

Mae
Fri, 10-21-2005, 06:35 PM
Hey, I DID say it probably wouldn't be popular :p

@paulfear: The manga at least didn't seem similar to Beck other than the fact that they're both set in modern Japan and both, broadly speaking, are coming of age stories. More like Honey and Clover which had an emphasis on romance. Hard to say which will be better since we can't predict how acurately they'll adapt the manga, which IS pretty popular, or how well the adaption will work (some series just don't work as well when they're animated, Yakite, Japan! was like that for me). The books entertained me enough, but I always was a sucker for a good love triangle.

The pace should pick up because the manga is actually pretty short, only a few volumes. Decent shoujo, but not nearly as good as Kare Kano or Fruits Basket. Or Revolutionary Girl Utena, still one of my favorites.

aznimperialx
Fri, 10-21-2005, 06:36 PM
Only people who will enjoy it will be the people who read the manga

paulfear
Fri, 10-21-2005, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by: Mae
@paulfear: The manga at least didn't seem similar to Beck other than the fact that they're both set in modern Japan and both, broadly speaking, are coming of age stories. More like Honey and Clover which had an emphasis on romance. Hard to say which will be better since we can't predict how acurately they'll adapt the manga, which IS pretty popular, or how well the adaption will work (some series just don't work as well when they're animated, Yakite, Japan! was like that for me). The books entertained me enough, but I always was a sucker for a good love triangle.

i know the manga was pretty popular in japan (is it still running? i'm not sure). i'm just quoting that people said the anime was sort of like beck. if that is the case it may be worth me checking out.

i've not read the yakitate japan manga yet, only seen the anime and that makes me laugh until i am on the verge of tears thanks to all the breadgasms. my opinion might be different if i read that first.

if you are a fan of paradise kiss, what did you think of honey & clover?

aznroyale
Sat, 10-22-2005, 12:00 AM
i dont like it -_-

XanBcoo
Sat, 10-22-2005, 12:11 AM
I'd say I'd like it if the execution was pulled off better. Maybe a little brighter, because right now it's pretty dark, and kinda boring. The art and animation is awesome though. I was impressed by that.

Aramis
Sat, 10-22-2005, 07:35 AM
It's...different. Didn't catch my interest.

Chaos
Sat, 10-22-2005, 10:52 PM
http://www.designchronicle.com/memento/
(If you want to read a quick summary of the episodes too see if its your "cup of tea".)

masamuneehs
Sun, 10-23-2005, 11:21 AM
As open as I try to be to different types of anime, this one really didn't do it for me. In fact, I really think I wasted some time DLing and watching this thing...

Like Mae said, shoujo anime just isn't as popular with the community here...

Shinda
Sun, 10-23-2005, 02:32 PM
watched episode 1 and 2. will continue watching it.
The first one was kinda weird and boring in my opinion, but I liked the second. I think the next episode will pick up now that she accepted and all. and if the serie is disappointing later, I at least give the manga a shot.

EDIT: lol, they used franz ferdinand for the ending song i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

g0at
Fri, 10-28-2005, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by: paulfear
i know the manga was pretty popular in japan (is it still running? i'm not sure). i'm just quoting that people said the anime was sort of like beck. if that is the case it may be worth me checking out.

the animation is by the same people who did beck. if u notice in the opening they show a picture of some of the drawings that were in the end theme of beck. i dont think the story is like beck by the mood overall is kinda like beck. i really like this series right now. even though i dont really like fashion its still interesting.

RPG2000
Fri, 10-28-2005, 10:46 PM
Alright!...an anime revolving around a couple of students [designers] and their desire to get into the world of fashion. Neat. I just got to check it out + I'm into this "school-life-drama", as I was with Honey and Clover. In the end, I wasn't that impressed with its 1st episode. Sure, the artwork [scenery] is clearly amazing, but...it didn't grab my attention. I checked the 2nd episode out...and I got to say, it somehow got "better" for me...so I'm still giving it a try. I'm sure it'll get enjoyable on the run [hope it will, for my own good...hah!]. And...I got to say they did a great job with the characters clothing; the feeling of fashion is there.

Fiss240
Sun, 12-04-2005, 01:18 AM
Anybody else still watching this? I think its fairly enjoyable, and it has definatly gotten much more interesting. Plus Franz Ferdinand rocks (perfect fit for this anime too, FF was famous for Rave-like concerts in the UK that incorperated art, and two of the group members are associated with a real art school) i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Shinda
Tue, 12-27-2005, 04:14 PM
A little thread bump. anyone still watching this? I'm downloading up to episode 9 now, and I have tried to find the manga, but couldn't find it... anyone knows some more?

Fiss240
Thu, 01-19-2006, 02:48 PM
Final Episode is out. I found it to be a interesting series, different from anything else I have seen.

Kyuuzou
Sat, 01-21-2006, 12:06 PM
I heard that some people say it's really good and some that say it's not...Any1 can give me any advice if I should watch this series or not..I mean I got all 12 episdoes but never got a chance 2 watch them since I was never sure about the show ..Thanks^^

Kyuuzou
Sun, 01-29-2006, 10:46 PM
Well it seems as if I want an answer I have 2 watch this show myself, because it sure doesn't look like any1 is going 2 post any info about this soon>.<