PDA

View Full Version : FORMAT WARS

Lefty
Wed, 10-19-2005, 06:20 PM
In 2006 two new dvd formats will be released into the market place Blue Ray and HD DVD. Here's and articel about it. (http://news.com.com/FAQ+HD+DVD+vs.+Blu-ray/2100-1041_3-5886956.html) My hope nad wish is that hey eventually realize that they have the right idea but need to combine it into one technology adn really capitilize. Cuz with this the consumer will just get confused adn people will buy the wrong dvd for their player. It will be a nightmare till one format come out the winner.

aznimperialx
Wed, 10-19-2005, 06:22 PM
heard about this for a while. So is DVD like gonna be like the VHS?

el_boss
Wed, 10-19-2005, 06:39 PM
The fact that xbox 360 and Playstation 3 are gonna have different formats is going to mess things up alot, I think.

Jadugar
Wed, 10-19-2005, 06:55 PM
It all depends on who has a better marketing strategy.

Lefty
Wed, 10-19-2005, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by: el_boss
The fact that xbox 360 and Playstation 3 are gonna have different formats is going to mess things up alot, I think.

Ones made by Microsoft which supports HD DVD and sony is releasing the blue ray format. Blue ray can hold twice the amount of data the HD DVD can hold.
@Jasugar: I also think what the player's look like, how much the players cost, and how much the dvd's cost will grately affect the out come as well.

Jadugar
Wed, 10-19-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by: Lefty
Blue ray can hold twice the amount of data the HD DVD can hold.

Thats the real appeal. I think if Sony play their cards right this blue ray disc can really take off in Japan. Japs really love the new technology but going against Microsoft wont be that easy.

Personally I would want a blue disc b/c of its huge data storage capacity.

Nin10doman
Wed, 10-19-2005, 07:51 PM
The thing about BluRay, though, is that they cost more to manufacture than the HD-DVDs. Yes, they hold more, but they cost more too. Also, I remember hearing that BluRay is more susceptible to scratch damage, and therefore less durable... That's why I think HD DVD has more of a chance than alot of people are giving it.

I think what will happen is there will be both for a while, and then certain companies may side with one format, and whichever is more popular wins; or maybe HD-DVD/BluRay combo players will be common enough for both to survive.

Lefty
Wed, 10-19-2005, 07:57 PM
The problem with the hd dvd technology is that the players are so damn complex and expensive. Also the cost of hd dvd is pretty high as well, not as high as blue ray but still higher than an ormal dvd. I think the hd dvd will do better in europe hwere HD is the standered, blue ray will dominate in japan and asia, whilein america where hd is not the normal standard it will be battled out for a few years. I just think they need to grow up and make one god damn format like DVD.

XanBcoo
Wed, 10-19-2005, 09:17 PM
I've heard about Blue Ray for a while now. I'd prefer it, except for the cost.

But in a couple years, I don't think cost will be much of an issue anyway.

Honoko
Wed, 10-19-2005, 11:36 PM
NY Times had an article about this last winter. Except they mentioned how DivX is trying to muscle into that feud between BluRay and HD DVD.

To Young
Thu, 10-20-2005, 02:35 AM
I refuse to give up my Cassette Format. (http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=1512&dekey=VHS&gwp=13&curtab =1512_1&linktext=VHS)