PDA

View Full Version : Evangelion by WETA

RyuNaruto
Mon, 10-17-2005, 06:41 AM
Does a live-action featured film count in general anime? Well anywho, I stumbled accross this when I was looking on the WETA site for stuff on the Halo movie. Neon Genisis Evangelion (http://www.wetaworkshop.co.nz/projects/filmography/film/neon_genesis). Despite being on hold, the disigns look awesome, and looks to be promising. What do you guys think?

Deadfire
Mon, 10-17-2005, 10:01 AM
Thats pretty cool, although picture 6 doesn't show and you have to maual change the address bar to get to the next pic

but it's good stuff indeed, although the designs for the two woman evas pilots (I can't remember the spelling of their names Rei and Asuka?) look older, but i'm thinking thats to fit a american movie goer

masamuneehs
Mon, 10-17-2005, 10:49 AM
Now if they'd actually adapt other anime to live-action we'd be trucking! (think of the exposure it would get in America and elsewhere, were so many live-action TV shows are really pieces of crap!)

Need to need to need to do a live action series of Cowboy Bebop. Holy fucking shit there would be nothing better!

I can't imagine Naruto, any of the Gundams or even Bleach would work well in live-action. Would be filled with more special effects than real characters and shots...

aznimperialx
Mon, 10-17-2005, 02:18 PM
the live movie will sucks ass because they will change everything into their "american ways" BS

XanBcoo
Mon, 10-17-2005, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by: aznimperialx
the live movie will sucks ass because they will change everything into their "american ways" BS

Although not much about the movie is known (partially because not much work has been done AT ALL - seriously those production sketches are a few years old), the movie will in fact be an international project of sorts. ADV is cooperation with Gainax on the film, and they want to keep it as true to the original as possible. They're thinking about an international cast too.

but it's good stuff indeed, although the designs for the two woman evas pilots (I can't remember the spelling of their names Rei and Asuka?) look older, but i'm thinking thats to fit a american movie goer
The sketches are not final. In fact, in an interview, WETA stated that the drawings were only to get an idea of what the plug suits would look like. They just BS'd the rest - hence the weird-ass names featured on the designs.

Really, everything about this movie is still just a concept, as they have been looking for a director for about 1.5 years now, and haven't produced anything.

aznimperialx
Mon, 10-17-2005, 06:59 PM
Hopefully America don't decides to act all shit-like and put rei as ray and leave her as black hair. Making Linsey Lohan as Asukua, making Misato as ugly as she is in that sketch right now, and Making Shinji as HARRY POTTER <----EWWW WTF IS THAT

XanBcoo
Mon, 10-17-2005, 08:27 PM
I should have known by your other post that you'd find some excuse bitch about America despite what I just said.

In any case, I hope ADV/Gainax get their asses in gear and make this damn thing so that my future grandchildren might be able to see it.

aznimperialx
Mon, 10-17-2005, 09:03 PM
heard it might be made in 2010

and no i don't hate america or nothing, its just that why would they change something thats good and make it crappier, when they can just do the oringal

XanBcoo
Mon, 10-17-2005, 09:19 PM
Well personally I'd rather see a cast more true to the original, but they are reaching an international audience, so I would expect to see a non 100% Japanese cast - which I'm fine with. Really. It wouldn't be that bad.

Especially Asuka. I hope they use a qt, red-haired German girl for her.

Oh, and if anyone didn't know, there are loose plans to somehow fit the voice actors into cameo roles in the movie. That should be fun XD.

aznimperialx
Mon, 10-17-2005, 09:28 PM
so they're not using their normal voice?

XanBcoo
Mon, 10-17-2005, 10:58 PM
I fail to understand what you are asking.

The movie is live-action. Of course they're not using the voice actors to play the roles of the characters. I was just saying that there are plans to have both the English and Japanese voice actors appear as cameo roles (for example, Tiffany Grant would play a store clerk).

Or did you mean something else?

kaniskii
Tue, 10-18-2005, 01:41 AM
those concepts look pretty cool. I like that pic of Eva00 (22) looking out between the buildings. It seems like theye are trying to make this a good show. I will be good if they have a gfood story, which i guess they do, so they just cant mess it up.

but ofcourse when you adapt a series into a movie, you cant help be make some mistakes

RyuNaruto
Tue, 10-18-2005, 06:33 AM
Ok your negative attitude so far is bugging me, not that I'm flaming I just wanted to say that it is. Thanks XanBcoo for clearing up two things, that really nails down a lot. And secondly, WETA is New Zealand, if you look on a map that's pretty far from America. Besides it's probably going to be done by an international company so that should be interesting. I hope they use teens for the pilots, something between ages 15-18, that should do. Young enough for everyone to be happy with, and old enough to attract attention.

XanBcoo
Tue, 10-18-2005, 01:14 PM
Except they're all supposed to be 13/14 i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif

I'd prefer older pilots, however.

I wonder who they'll pick to be the director...Something tells me it wont be Anno-sama i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

mage
Tue, 10-18-2005, 02:11 PM
the drawings of rei/asuka look like theyre in their fucking twenties, and misato is ugly as fuck. rei's hair is black? wtf? all is ruined!

aznimperialx
Tue, 10-18-2005, 02:17 PM
i agree with mage i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

FelixZeroAlastor
Tue, 10-18-2005, 02:54 PM
I am not going to see this movie so I don't have to see their messed up adaptations of Evangelion.

aznimperialx
Tue, 10-18-2005, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by: FelixZeroAlastor
I am not going to see this movie so I don't have to see their messed up adaptations of Evangelion.

I will see it so i can tell how bad it is, if it is good, i will be amazed and i don't really care bout the graphics

Lucifus
Tue, 10-18-2005, 04:33 PM
Why the fuck are you all bashing America...........................

XanBcoo
Tue, 10-18-2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by: mage
the drawings of rei/asuka look like theyre in their fucking twenties, and misato is ugly as fuck. rei's hair is black? wtf? all is ruined!

Sorry, I don't speak moron. I'll just quote what I said earlier and hope you get it this time:

The sketches are not final. In fact, in an interview, WETA stated that the drawings were only to get an idea of what the plug suits would look like. They just BS'd the rest - hence the weird-ass names featured on the designs.

Really, everything about this movie is still just a concept

aznimperialx
Tue, 10-18-2005, 07:08 PM
it would get everybody pissed if people were waiting for 6years of rumors and then decide not to do it

XanBcoo
Tue, 10-18-2005, 07:11 PM
Oh, they're going to do it. They're just taking their damn sweet time about it.

@Lucifus: Everyone bashes America about something (although some are well grounded) - especially when it comes to anime.

RyuNaruto
Wed, 10-19-2005, 07:42 AM
Ok i really have a problem with some other these people. Is it just me, or do they talk too much? Its laid out in plain English. If you cannot read that is not my problem. If you are too lazy to scroll up and read past posts that is also not my problem. BUT, if you cannot scroll up and reread some old posts that concern some of your complaints then we might have an issue. Preferably one you can work out if you have the brain cells to do so. Now that I have made myself CLEAR (I really hope you know what that means), then can we please get to some POSSITIVE comments.

Possitive = good things about stuff, not the bad. Its the OPPOSITE of bad.

Opposite = the reverse of something (ex: if a switch is facing one way, flip it so it faces the OPPOSITE direction.)

Now that we have updated our vocabulary, let us move on to POSSITIVE feedback.

(Clears throat) I CAN'T FREAKEN WAIT FOR THIS BABY TO COME OUT!!!!

aznimperialx
Wed, 10-19-2005, 02:14 PM
this thread wasn't only to make POSTIVE COMMENTS

RyuNaruto
Thu, 10-20-2005, 07:17 AM
True, but so far its been more bad mouthing. And I made this thread, I'm just trying to keep the peace, you have have your say, but come on, lighten up a little. There has to be SOMETHING GOOD you want to see or hope from this? The sketches and ideas aren't final yet, so just hold a sec before you speculate. I agree, this could turn out to be a disaster, but look on the bright side. WETA is doing it, they did a great job with Lord of the Rings, King Kong, and are currently doing Halo which is to come out int 2007, so give these guys some credit.

XanBcoo
Thu, 10-20-2005, 01:48 PM
0.o I wasn't mouthing.

I'm looking forward to this and love it but will laugh at all the screw ups they make. I can't wait for it to enter the production stages.

Oh, and for anyone interested: Eva is going to start showing on Adult Swim this Saturday. GO WATCH IT! Or I will eat your family.

aznimperialx
Thu, 10-20-2005, 02:13 PM
the Dubs are gonna be so bad i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

XanBcoo
Thu, 10-20-2005, 02:46 PM
The show was dubbed long ago.

It's been bad. But really, that's because it was one of ADV's first shows. I actually enjoy a lot of it - especially Allison Keith as Misato i/expressions/heart.gif

It's not grating as long as you don't carry an "all dubs suck" attitude.

aznimperialx
Thu, 10-20-2005, 03:23 PM
its cause all the dubs i watched before sucked except maybe one or two

Lefty
Thu, 10-20-2005, 06:09 PM
I have to say EVA was one sereis that I thought the Americain voices matched the characters rather well.

But on another note I still don't see how Adult swim is getting away with playing that sereis on tv. it's going to be edited out the ass by the end of the show.

aznimperialx
Thu, 10-20-2005, 06:58 PM
i doubt they will show End of Evangelion on tv

XanBcoo
Thu, 10-20-2005, 07:23 PM
No, there are no plans to show End of Eva on tv...yet. But taking into account the fact that they are showing more and more anime movies on Saturdays (like Escaflowne, Bebop, Inuyasha, blah blah), there might be a chance that we will see it sometime in the future. Maybe after the series' first or second run.

As far as edits go, yeah, it'll be edited. But not much more than your usual anime. There isn't a high amount of Nudity, and the really violent and/or disturbing scenes are few and far between.

I'm just wondering if they'll keep every mention of "God" in there. CN seems to have a thing w/religion...

aznimperialx
Thu, 10-20-2005, 07:26 PM
they won't ever use the word god because I DON'T KNOW. just like Freedom gundam was supposed to be Sin gundam, but NO......

Deadfire
Thu, 10-20-2005, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by: XanBcoo
No, there are no plans to show End of Eva on tv...yet. But taking into account the fact that they are showing more and more anime movies on Saturdays (like Escaflowne, Bebop, Inuyasha, blah blah), there might be a chance that we will see it sometime in the future. Maybe after the series' first or second run.

As far as edits go, yeah, it'll be edited. But not much more than your usual anime. There isn't a high amount of Nudity, and the really violent and/or disturbing scenes are few and far between.

I'm just wondering if they'll keep every mention of "God" in there. CN seems to have a thing w/religion...

What I'm wondering really is what the ending will look like if they edit alot of that out...because that can't really end it with EoE because it's more freaked up then the series

aznimperialx
Thu, 10-20-2005, 10:27 PM
they won't show EoE trust me

masamuneehs
Thu, 10-20-2005, 11:13 PM
I also believe The End of Eva is way too crazy for Adult Swim to show without mutilating it with graphic censorship...

Then again, I hope that the CN release leaves room for religious interpretation and is as eidt-free as possible. I have a good feeling about this series in the US, and I really hope that it opens the door for those who just watch TV for anime (like i used to be) into the realm of true animedom!

XanBcoo
Thu, 10-20-2005, 11:24 PM
It's on right now! Don't miss it!

Comes on again on Saturday. Don't miss this gem! This is history, people.

What I'm wondering really is what the ending will look like if they edit alot of that out...because that can't really end it with EoE because it's more freaked up then the series

I can't imagine what they'd cut out of the "ending". Do you mean the last two episodes? Because the only thing controversial in that is a sex scene.

RyuNaruto
Fri, 10-21-2005, 06:45 AM
It'ld be interesting if they showed the entire thing of EoE without the edits and cuts. LMAO man so many people would be burning their eyes lol. Its so phycotic its halarious. Then again I have a strange sense of humor. And when I said bad mouthing, I meant it to the people who did, you know who you are. Anywho, any other thoughts on the movie.....let me rephrase that, are there any GOOD thoughts about it?

Kraco
Fri, 10-21-2005, 10:35 AM
Weren't the angels numbered, and there was a finite number of them? I suppose the basic question is whether the movie will be a kind of snapshot, featuring perhaps a few angels. If this is the case, will it follow approximately a handful of the anime episodes, or will they invent a totally new story for those particular angels. Or if they will ignore the anime and write totally new angels. The other possibility is that all the angels will be in the movie, and a conclusion. It's a bit hard to imagine this without making the angels weak like the aliens in Alien 2, but who knows...

basey44
Fri, 10-21-2005, 10:53 AM
woooooww, this new is amazingly old, basically nothing has happened for 2 years and its just been sitting there, theyre stuck at a director

also i didnt understand what you guys said earlier, did u say they wont show eva on CN or EoE, cos eva has already been on CN numerous times

XanBcoo
Fri, 10-21-2005, 10:59 AM
eva has already been on CN numerous times
No it hasn't. The first two episodes of the series was shown on Toonami 2 (or was it 3?) years ago. That was for "Giant Robot Week". It was never shown again after that. It was also heavily edited.

This is the series' first premier on Adult Swim. It's being shown in it's entirety, and, for the most part, with minor edits. As I said earlier, although they're finally showing the series, there are no plans to show EoE anytime in the near future. Personally, I don't think it will happen at all.

About the live action movie, yeah, it's really old and there is 0 new info on it. I'd rather not speculate until I know for sure that it will be made within the next few years.

aznimperialx
Fri, 10-21-2005, 02:15 PM
I don't how they are gonna basically turn 26 eps. into one movie. Or they just make it as the 1st esp. WHICH IS RETARDED

RyuNaruto
Sat, 10-22-2005, 09:13 PM
They can do it, if they can turn a 3 book series into three movies about 3-4 hours each, they can do it. You have to remember that when they make movies they really try hard, no matter what you say or see. They really tried hard to do their best, you're just critizing and judging them too hard. We're dedicated fans of anime, and they're just trying to make a movie that will not only please us, but the general crowd as well. Judging something when it barely has a chance is too harsh and just plain wrong.

aznimperialx
Sat, 10-22-2005, 09:31 PM
I was not judging them. Im just saying. How will they make 26eps in 1 movie. And 3hours won't make it possible. AND i doubt they will make more than one movie. Considering If it takes them this long to make just one

XanBcoo
Sun, 10-23-2005, 02:23 AM
It is quite possible to turn a 26 episode anime series into a movie, it's been done numerous times before. That doesn't neccessarily mean it will be any good though. But who knows? I'm hoping for the best; they'll work with what they've got.

aznimperialx
Sun, 10-23-2005, 10:07 AM
yea if they cut out everything and just kill the angels like that

and i saw evangelion on tv last night. Its not the same as the DVD, they used a new cast. and OMG

everybody sound so young and crappy. Misato sounds like a freaking 16year old when shes supposed to be 29. Ritsuko sounds like 16 too. And the Dude thats supposed to be arround gendo, hes supposed to be 58, BUT he sounds like a 25year old guy! WTF

XanBcoo
Sun, 10-23-2005, 03:00 PM
1. If they intend to fit 26 episodes into a movie, a lot will have to be cut, but I doubt it'll just be 3 hours of Angel killing. Perhaps they'll show a few fights, and skip the rest in order to deal w/character developement and whatnot. This type of thing has been done many times for anime movies (ever seen Death & Rebirth?). It won't be any different just because it's live action.

2. I don't know which English dub you've seen on DVD, but the one they showed on Evangelion is the only one in existence. I suggest you listen to it again. It's the exact same cast.

3. Misato's VA fits her perfectly IMO (and is one of my favorite voice actresses). Ritsuko sounds like a mature woman, and is one of the better actors in the dub - I don't see how you think she sounds 16. Fuyutsuki doesn't sound 50, but I still think his voice fits him.

Edit: @Aramis: He meant Fuyutsuki, not Gendo

Aramis
Mon, 10-24-2005, 04:36 AM
gendo isn't 58... =P

aznimperialx
Mon, 10-24-2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by: Aramis
gendo isn't 58... =P

And the Dude thats supposed to be arround gendo, hes supposed to be 58, BUT he sounds like a 25year old guy! WTF