PDA

View Full Version : I hate the rain

Winged Dancer
Wed, 10-12-2005, 02:04 PM
So imagine you live really close to your college. To get there takes you five minutes, to go back home another five. Perhaps, if there are too many cars or the road is jammed because some asshole decided to "go with style" and killed himself via slamming his car into another five, perhaps it'll take you twenty minutes to get back home.

Well, that's my situation.

Yestarday I made four hours on the way back. Four fucking hours.

Thing is, it rained. And hailed. A lot. Of course at first it was fun - we were in class and then once we got out, at around 8:00 pm, we decided to be silly fun students and hang around the balconies throwing stuff at the few idiots who decided to venture into the storm, or perhaps yell stuff at them like "You are my hero, too bad you'll die of pneumonia tomorrow!", and things like that.

Afterwards we started making bets.

"How much would you give me if I run to that tree over there?"

"Three pesos, no more."

"Fuck you, gimme 150 and I'll do it naked!"

Sadly though, nobody ran around naked.

Anyway, after 40 minutes I decide to hell with this, the rain is pretty for the five first minutes alone, I'm going home.

So I exit the college and start walking to my car. "Oooh, good thing I brought an umbrella with me! And even better, I'm wearing my canadian snow-boots! I wont get so wet!"

And I didn't. At first. I got to my car, got inside and an hour and a half later I had moved about 50 meters. Now I can't transform that into yards or whatever you silly americans/brittish/canadians use, but 50 meters is way too little for an hour and a half!! Half an hour after that I was already crying and rather desperate (I needed to pee) and then it came - knock knok, somebody was tapping my window.

I open. A random girl student was there

"You shouldn't go any further."

"Why?"

"It's inundated. Medicine's a lagoon, cars have been abandonated all over the place."

"....well fuck. Thanks."

But I'm stupid so I decided to go ahead and see if she was telling the truth. She was.

The water was like 70 cms high - that's about 3 feet, I think, and a jeep had been abandonated at the middle of the road. A jeep! If that didn't make it, my seven-year old focus was done for. So, being the spoiled girly brat I am, I pulled over and got out my cellphone and

"DADDY!!! I'm stuck and there's water and it doesn't stop raining and I'm tired and I'm hungry and thirtsy and I WANT TO PEE!"

"Sucks to be you! Well, I'm stuck inside my office! There's a feet and a half of ice at the doors! Can't get out, can't help you. Wich me luck coming back home tonight."

"...shit!!"

So I proceded to do the only thing I could think of - got off the car, closed it and started walking. Needless to say I ended up tripping and falling into many many small lagoons, which got me really angry because dammit I liked those pants and now they are ruined. Also - mind you, but Mexico City ain't the kind of city you want to walk alone at night, specially if you are a girl. But I guess most smart people were at home, instead of braving the worse fucking storm we've had in years, so I got home safely at, I don't know 12:30 am perhaps?

I was drenched and pissy and hungry, BUT my socks were dry. Canadian snow-boots must be magical.

Anyway, I got my car back today (it was magically unharmed) and yeah, perhaps my hating of the rain and a cold everything seems to be normal.

Funny fact about Mexico's climate - yesterday we had 3 feet of water and 1 feet of hail.
Today the average temperature is about 27°C (pretty fucking high), the sun is high up in the sky and I had to wear a skirt, camisole and sandals to college because of the heat. However, I'm expecting more hail tonight. Stupid climate can't seem to decide....

So yeah. Needed to vent that out because goddamint it was scary and frustrating.

DB_Hunter
Wed, 10-12-2005, 02:11 PM
So um... it rained alot in England too...

I got soaked three times in one day... but atleast I got to see some manuscripts that were like over a thousand years old...

Strike Freedom
Wed, 10-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Wow, that really sucks, but it could be worse. I enjoyed reading that story, but I really do sympathize with what you went through. Next time, bring an inflatable raft with you in your car i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

aznimperial
Wed, 10-12-2005, 02:35 PM
today it rained a lil and i just went to school and the line was waaaaay too long and me and my friend just wait there and then more HEAVY rain startrs Spalting everyone but everyone had umbrellas but we all this mangered to get WET. And then the front grat, this was a really huge puddle so everyone had to like climb on the gate so we wouln't get wet. AND THEN the line just stopped for like 20minutes and we wait....wait.....wait......LOOK we are MOVING! Then we get inside AND its alreadly too late for 2nd period because it will end in 4mins. So we just chilled at the AUD. and then went to Math. (I had to walk around in wet soggy clothes) i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Assertn
Wed, 10-12-2005, 02:42 PM
if its one thing those uppity canadians are good at, its making snow gear

Xollence
Wed, 10-12-2005, 02:51 PM
It's raining really hard right now, there's been like 5 accidents on the way to school. Half the class is missing, so classes are ending early.

Lefty
Wed, 10-12-2005, 04:33 PM
I live the pacific northwest. Rain is a daily occurance. I've had to walk a mile and half through terencial down pours all the while dodging cars that seemed to not be able see the stoplights or pedestrians for that matter. Everything I had on was soaked through, I had to dry my school books in the god damn oven so i could use them the next day. But I do have to say you had a pretty sucky day WD. For braving all of that I herby declair you are an official Pacific Nortwestener, even though you live in Mexico. Your cool in our book.

XanBcoo
Wed, 10-12-2005, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by: DB_Hunter
So um... it rained alot in England too...

I got soaked three times in one day... but atleast I got to see some manuscripts that were like over a thousand years old...

That's all it does in England is rain. Seriously i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Good story WD. But you should hear about the "sitting in traffic" stories of the Rita and Katrina evacuees...

KitKat
Wed, 10-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Uppity? Assertn, that hurts i/expressions/brokenheart.gif

But yeah, I love my snowboots. Combined with my wool socks, my feet stay dry and warm through the slush and snow. Sounds like you had a really crazy day, WD. You're tough though, you showed that storm! (Sad about your pants though....I've ruined favourite pieces of clothing before and it's annoying) Oh, and British and Canadians use metric too.

Winged Dancer
Wed, 10-12-2005, 05:49 PM
Well, needless to say I'm not trying to compete with the Rita and Katrina refugees... or the ones in my own country, which was hit by Stan. Stupid Stan, we're poor already...

Erhm, anyway, YAY I get a title! Honorary Pacific Nortwestener, I'll just have to get a map and figure where's that located.

Funny, now that I think of it, how I hate the rain so much and yet I wanna emmigrate and live in either England or Tokyo, where it rains even more than Mexico...

Ooh! It has started to rain again now!

masamuneehs
Wed, 10-12-2005, 06:01 PM
"Some people just prefer to go out in the rain without umbrellas"

I call them idiots... But seriously, I hate the rain too. Sometimes it's refreshing and is great for the earth and all that, but it slows shit down and gets me sick...

But I hate umbrellas even more! They are the work of the devil! Give me a hat and raincoat or a hoody anyday!

DB_Hunter
Wed, 10-12-2005, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by: Winged Dancer
Funny, now that I think of it, how I hate the rain so much and yet I wanna emmigrate and live in either England or Tokyo, where it rains even more than Mexico...

If you want to live in England I would say go for London... OK so I'm a bit biased but its one of the most diverse cities in the world. You get to meet people from everywhere here so that cool.

Xollence
Wed, 10-12-2005, 06:25 PM
Hehe I'm always in the rain without an umbrella, but not because I choose to, it's because I never have an umbrella when it rains.

Phoenix20578
Wed, 10-12-2005, 06:32 PM
Better than what happens to me. I went through 4 umbrellas between the storm today, and the one Sat. in Jersey. *sigh*

Strike Freedom
Wed, 10-12-2005, 06:32 PM
Well, needless to say I'm not trying to compete with the Rita and Katrina refugees... or the ones in my own country, which was hit by Stan. Stupid Stan, we're poor already...

I hear you on that one, Stan hit home for me too in Guatemala. I feel real bad for all those people that have had to go through some type of natural disaster this year. Mother nature is really letting us have it. May God bless those who have passed away from all this disaster.

Xollence
Wed, 10-12-2005, 06:38 PM
Yeah rain in Jersey is terrible. Especially on the GSP. I should take the turnpike tomorrow.

Phoenix20578
Wed, 10-12-2005, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by: Xollence
Yeah rain in Jersey is terrible. Especially on the GSP. I should take the turnpike tomorrow.

Don't bother if it keeps raining. Traffic almost went backward it was so slow.

basey44
Wed, 10-12-2005, 09:43 PM
haha WD thats awesome as, your weather sounds like its simialr to here, hailing one day sunny the next, a little rain is romantic but that much is just fuckin annoying

Lefty
Wed, 10-12-2005, 10:06 PM

Erhm, anyway, YAY I get a title! Honorary Pacific Nortwestener, I'll just have to get a map and figure where's that located.

It would be located in the northwest of the united states. ie portland, seattle, grung rock, microsoft, Starbucks, anyother cliche i'm forgetting about.

2:25
Thu, 10-13-2005, 04:03 AM
I feel for you WD. Something similar happened to me this week, but replace the words "storm" with "rain" and "car" with "bus" and there's my story.
Seriously though, at least you're safe at home. ^^

Winged Dancer
Thu, 10-13-2005, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by: basey44
haha WD thats awesome as, your weather sounds like its simialr to here, hailing one day sunny the next, a little rain is romantic but that much is just fuckin annoying

Whoa, so Mexico's climate is alike Australia's? Wouldn't have thought about it, ever. Weird. Shame I can't say anything about Australia whithout falling into a lot of cliches like "kangaroos" and "murderous koalas waiting to pounce and feed on human babies."

Erm, that aside, the traffic here gets this bad because most roads at the center and southern city were built like in 1850, when there weren't cars and people probably used horses or OMG their feet to walk. So it tends to jam once you cram about 9, 000, 000 cars and 25, 000, 000 people into a city half the size of Los Angeles... well, maybe a little bigger. A little.

Raven
Thu, 10-13-2005, 06:43 AM
WD, you should really visit Australia some time in the future. It's probably nothing like you've always imagined.

basey44
Thu, 10-13-2005, 07:40 AM
come on raven dont tempt her, we both know shed be eaten alive by drop bears

Strike Freedom
Thu, 10-13-2005, 09:21 AM
Or worse yet, a pack of starving Dingos

Terracosmo
Thu, 10-13-2005, 09:31 AM
I've been trying to come up with a nice reply for this topic in a few days, and here it comes:

Rain sucks. And now you know why. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

RedX1z
Thu, 10-13-2005, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by: Terracosmo
I've been trying to come up with a nice reply for this topic in a few days, and here it comes:

Rain sucks. And now you know why.

for a few days you sure know how to put thought into things, just playing. anyways, yeah, rain sucks, especially when it fucks up all your freaking plans.

aznimperialx
Thu, 10-13-2005, 11:43 AM
stupid rain ruined my day...again

Strike Freedom
Thu, 10-13-2005, 12:19 PM
Rain doesn't suck, i love the rain i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Winged Dancer
Thu, 10-13-2005, 12:41 PM
I don't mind rain when I'm feeling like playing and getting wet.

Or making the sole male japanese techer at school feel uncomfortable because I'm in a wet t-shirt at his class! Man, I'm not forgetting that day ever, in all of my life.

And I'll get around to viist Australia someday. Once I uh, marry someone who'll protect me of the starving dingos who seem to feed on tourists. Or when I feel like staying 28 hours on a plane!

Lefty
Thu, 10-13-2005, 01:46 PM
I don't mind rain when I'm feeling like playing and getting wet.

Or making the sole male japanese techer at school feel uncomfortable because I'm in a wet t-shirt at his class! Man, I'm not forgetting that day ever, in all of my life.

You tease. You must use your sexapeal for the good of man kind. THE GOOD I SAY.

masamuneehs
Thu, 10-13-2005, 05:44 PM
Today was the first real "Ithacaesque" of this semester. Temperature never got above 50, rain didn't start until 1030, and i emerge from my first class into a deluge. The sun never came out and the rain fluctuated from pouring to drizzle and back and forth again and again.

I just wish the rain was consistent and that when it ended the sun would come out... That in -between stage of grayness is melancoly inducing.

Lefty
Thu, 10-13-2005, 06:52 PM
Try having it for like 90 to 100 days straight. You get use to the grayness of fall/winter up here, or you slit your wrists. But i do miss the falls in Newengland.