PDA

View Full Version : City of Villains.

Strider
Tue, 10-11-2005, 11:05 AM
We all know we really wanted to see Cobra Commander piss all over Duke, instead of constantly crying for retreat and mercy.

Well, as if the title didn't clue you in enough, this game features the capability of becoming your own megalomanical villain - superpowers, henchmen and fortified base of operations included.

I was simply curious if anyone else was planning on picking this up and taking a shot at being their own Magneto or Doctor Doom.

I am still unsure if I'll be getting it. Although, NCSoft has stated that they're fees will have no increase and remain the same for those who play both City of Heroes and Villains, which is a plus for me considering I'm currently grinding some heroes up.

Again, just curious if anyone had any intentions of picking this up.

masamuneehs
Tue, 10-11-2005, 12:32 PM
Links to any kind to info on this? What console is it for? (or PC?)

XanBcoo
Tue, 10-11-2005, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by: Strider
I was simply curious if anyone else was planning on picking this up and taking a shot at being their own Magneto or Doctor Doom.

Naw, I'm too busy shooting random civilians and beating up hookers.

Though this game sounds fun. More info/links plz.

SK
Tue, 10-11-2005, 03:16 PM
It's a PC MMORPG. I might look into this.

~1~

Nai
Tue, 10-11-2005, 03:33 PM
Linkie (http://www.cityofvillains.com/).

Personally, I've been waiting for this game for long. I did enjoy the original City of Heroes, but playing a hero and actually helping people simply isn't me. In fact, it made me sick. Already got CoV pre-ordered and waiting for my beta invite.

Strider
Wed, 10-12-2005, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by: XanBcoo
Naw, I'm too busy shooting random civilians and beating up hookers.

Though this game sounds fun. More info/links plz.

Grand Theft much? i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Like, SK said .. it's an MMORPG, for PC.

Links:

City of Villains - Official Site. (http://www.cityofvillains.com/)

City of Heroes Boards - City of Villains Thread. (http://boards.cityofheroes.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=villains)

GameSpot - City of Villains Screenshot Archive. (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/cityofvillains/screenindex.html)

I also have the game pre-ordered, but I am not sure if it'll cause me to defect from grinding my heroes to mainly playing this one.

The character creation alone looks amazing. If you go to the last link, find the page with the power sets and you can see what kinds of powers and a description of them that you can possess by choosing a certain class and whatnot. A lot of them seem very creative. One of the power sets even makes it a viable option to create Orochimaru, since one of the power sets is called, "Summon Ninja," which I thought was great. I know the very first or second power is called "Summon Genin," which calls forth three ninja to fight with / for you. Later on, as you advance in power and levels, you gain the power "Summon Jounin," and "Summon Oni," respectively.

There are already PvP arenas in place. However, with this game / individual expansion, there will be certain zones where Heroes and Villains can duke it out, right there on the streets. With Villains running with their henchmen and own minions, I think it'd be very fun to participate or even watch a clash of heroes and villains.

Lucied
Wed, 10-12-2005, 10:35 PM
How does City of Hero's stack against other MMORPGs out right now? I played WoW for quite awhile and that game loses its appeal very fast. Been debating between City of Hero's/Villians or Guildwars, not sure which one I wanna get.

Strider
Thu, 10-13-2005, 05:05 PM
I would imagine it depends on what you're looking for.

A number of GotWoot'rs play Guild Wars. Soon, I'll be one of them as I purchased the game a few days ago. I have not even installed it or opened it, for that matter as of yet, though. A perk to Guild Wars which should quickly attract you, is the fact that there are no monthly fees. It isn't a pay-as-you-play game. One fee for the game, and you're good to go. Just like purchasing a game for your PS2 or X-Box. From the few I know that have played it, they've enjoyed it. There is also a thread for it in this section - you may want to read that over for more details.

City of Heroes is the first and only MMORPG I've ever played. I'm a comic nut, so I was instantly sold on creating my own Superhero. From MMORPGs I have seen, in regards to character creation, City of Heroes / Villains is definitely among the best and most creative with near limitless possibilities. Some things stick out more than others, and just seem much "cooler," so you'll see someone with the same medieval helm or Iron Man helmet, but it's unlikely you'll see an exact clone of a character unless done with that intent.

The game content for CoH does tend to get repetitive, as I would imagine with a lot of MMORPGs, as you're grinding between levels. There is little to no end game content. Although, you do unlock two Epic character types to play with once you reach the level cap. They're pretty sweet. They capture the comic feel and element pretty well, and with the City of Villains release, I truly only expect it to get much, much better.

City of Heroes is pretty cheap right now. I believe something like $19.99 or $29.99, with the first four to six weeks free. If you can spare that, I'd definitely suggest giving it a run through and seeing how you feel about it. If you need to know anything else about it, shoot a post here. I troll a lot, so I'll respond accordingly as I see updates to this topic.

EDIT: Funnily enough as well, a lot of City of Heroes players are former World of Warcraft players who were displeased or extremely bored with the game. On the server broadcast channel, I often see people discussing their numerous reasons for defecting to the superhero side.

Ryllharu
Thu, 10-13-2005, 08:05 PM
The Non-Disclosure Agreement has been lifted. (I checked the site about 8 times while I was writing this post just to make sure.) So the beta testers can start talking about it now. I've been Beta testing it for about two weeks now, and all I'll say for now is that it is awesome.

The villains are tons of fun to play, and the mission system has been changed, or revamped so you can find some missions out of the newspaper. If you liked City of Heroes you'll love to play City of Villains.

City of Heroes was my first MMO. Also a big comics fan. I've been a long time player, bought it in the second month of its release, but I made so many different characters I never got absurdly high level. I like making characters more than I liked playing them most of the time. I lost a lot of online friends to WoW though, maybe some will come back when Villians is released.

I can post some screenshots later if I get around to it, though you can find some now on Gamespot like the one Strider listed.

Jurojin
Fri, 10-14-2005, 08:17 AM
I have a question- if you play CoH or CoV, will you be able to fight from opposing sides? Like someone playing CoV causes problems in CoH's city, who then dispatch people to go defeat the villain, who can win or lose, etc-

Ryllharu
Fri, 10-14-2005, 11:56 AM
They've said they're mostly trying to keep the two games somewhat separate (like portions of the city exclusive to one or the other) so people can easily buy CoV separately or not buy it at all if they don't want to spend money on the expansion, but there are overlapping city areas where villians and heroes will be able to fight each other that you get when you buy both.

And who knows what the dev's have planned in the future. They've done some pretty cool things so far, like alien invasions, halloween special events, and the city freezing over with giant snowmen.

Unlike a lot of the other MMO's out there, City of Heroes gives out free expansions on a pretty regular basis. Well worth the monthy fee in my opinion.

Assertn
Fri, 10-14-2005, 01:48 PM
so here's a question....
if level 1 heroes gain experience by stopping purse-snatchers
what do level 1 villians to do gain experience? snatch purses?

Ryllharu
Fri, 10-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Attack police, kinap people, rob banks, and fight or 'remove' weaker thugs for the benefit of stronger villians. Its more of the 'grand scheme' evil than petty thuggery.

Strider
Fri, 10-14-2005, 04:42 PM
The Rikti Invasion in City of Heroes was amazing! .. I missed out on the Halloween Special Event last year, but the Christmas Winter Lords Event was also very fun. A very quick way to level up your lowbies, since the larger Winter Lords were great experience!

I am downloading the BETA now, as I just registered on the boards.

Ryll' is also right in speaking of the regular large updates, that are free and normally full of extra content. The game has only been out for a year and some change, somewhere around fourteen months or so, and it's heading towards its sixth major issue.

The areas where Heroes and Villains can both meet, cross-over, and do battle are so exciting to me. I cannot wait to experience it all.

Also, villains can attack the lower ranking heroes, such as the Hero Corps. that roam the cities, similar to police. Villains can also band together to attempt to attack Hero Bases, Armed Forts and other facilities of the heroes / police.

EDIT:

@ Ryllharu: Look me up whenever you're playing City of Heroes. I have a toon or so spread out across a few servers, but my home's on Champion. I have a capped hero, and a few others I'm grinding on there. My global name is "@Rock Lee" i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Lucied
Sat, 10-15-2005, 05:32 PM
Ok, I played the beta on friday (Unfortunatly only get to play this day, beleive the stress test is only for the weekend) and this game is alot of fun. They did an amazing job on the customization of the villians, I didn't see 2 villians that even looked remotly close to each other, you can be anything from a cowboy gunslinger bad guy to a disfigured monster looking bad guy. You could literly spend at least an hour going through all the different options on your characters appearance. I only got to level 5, but the game play is nice and the missions were fun. Overall I would recomond trying the game out, I most likely will pick up a copy when it comes out =)

Strider
Thu, 10-20-2005, 08:34 PM
Alright. So, I think I may have been lying.

Lying, when I said I probably wouldn't defect to City of Villains, upon its release, and continue the grinding of my two up and coming heroes.

Well ..

Fuck that! City of Villains is the shit. My Beta finished the other night, and I was able to dedicate about three hours to it, last night. The game's fucking great.

The character creation? Christ. It is insanely vast. I thought City of Heroes was above par in regards to that, and if such still holds true, than City of Villains is chillin' somewhere on Mount Olympus for its Godliness.

The addition of new villain entities, plus the Superhero Faction has a certain division there in the starting area, and it was so refreshing to run up on a group of three or four of them and simply wail on them.

The archetypes .. I cannot get too in depth with those, as I have only tried two of them. However, I am sure these two will undoubtably the dominantly played archetypes -- The savage Brute, and the devious Mastermind.

The Brute .. as implies is an offensive juggernaut. Nothing short of the Juggernaut of X-Men either. It has a built in auto-ability that as the Brute does damage and continuously does inflict damage on others, the standard amount will increase. This is shown by a gauge beneath your health and endurance (energy to do moves, etc.). With this "rage" built up, you can do up to 400% more damage, taking out higher level minions and bosses in single strikes! I was loving this!

The Mastermind. Man, there are going to be so many of these running around. Their primary ability is to summon. As I explained in an earlier post, you can summon Ninja, for those desiring to create a Naruto character or something conceptually based from it, as they have numerous forehead protectors. In any manner, in addition to summoning Ninja .. they can summon soldiers (Mercenaries), the dead (Necromancy), and even robot minions, which is definitely the coolest. The lower tier bots are like micro transformers. They fold and expand, complete with Decepticon-like sound effects.

This game is great. I honestly cannot say too much more other than that. I'll post some screens as I get more time to post, as this was my main stop.