PDA

View Full Version : Car Accidents

lilphatboi88
Fri, 10-07-2005, 11:16 PM
Guys, today I was driving down my hill and going a bit too fast. I pressed the brakes and my car went outta control. My rear tires blew out and I couldn't control the car with the steering wheel so I went over a median and hit a 60 year old lady. Both cars were totaled and she got a compound fracture above her wrist.

I got so many questions that I feel like I'm lost right now. I don't know what to do. I need some advice on how to get myself back together. I need questions answered and stuff.

Like,
How high will my insurance go?

How long will I be feeling like this?

What first step should I be taking now?

I feel like I've lost my mind and I can't fit in with reality anymore. Please help.

Xollence
Fri, 10-07-2005, 11:26 PM
How high will my insurance go? Depends on how many points you get, but it's going to be a lot.

How long will I be feeling like this? A long long time.

What first step should I be taking now? go back on the highway and drive.

Mae
Fri, 10-07-2005, 11:41 PM
Before someone posts a "haha sucks to be you" reply I'll try to give some decent advice. One, it's a really, REALLY good thing you have insurance. Call your company and tell them what happened. They've been through this with other people and can give you some advice. Two, let your parents know too, they may be mad at first, but they'll help you out. Three, give yourself some time to calm down. Being in an accident is awful, but you can get through it. Your insurance WILL go up, but if it's your first offense they'll cut you some slack. It's not the end of the world, happens to lots of people. I've totaled a car before (well, two cars to tell the truth) and I dealt with it.

Strike Freedom
Fri, 10-07-2005, 11:44 PM
Well, state laws differ in this area. For the most part, the driver who rear ends is at fault. Secondly, I hope to God you have liability insurance (preferablly full coverage so u can fix ur car or at least get some money for it to replace it). If the old lady sustained injury (this is worst case scenario and if she's a bitch) then you might face a civil suit for her pain and suffering and all that crap. The good news, your insurance company should cover anything like that. Again, you must look into what your policy covers and does not.

You won't feel like this for too long (at least I didn't), perhaps a couple weeks. Don't worry, it happens. The most important thing is to make sure u did everything the right way (filed a police report and called your insurance agency, as well as exchanging info between drivers, it would be helpful if u asked her if she is ok (if she said yes then you can rebuttal any injuries she claims to have)).

I recommend you just relax, and get your mind over it. This stuff can take months to resolve. As long as you took all the precautions mentioned above, you should be fine. Remember to keep records for at least 2 years (statute of limitations).

Hope this helps....

EDIT: you may want to visit your state page website regarding the rules of the road and all that good stuff....it usually contains helpful information.

masamuneehs
Fri, 10-07-2005, 11:59 PM
lilphatboi88 - first you have to try to remember everything you can about the accident. How fast were you going down the hill when you first decided to break? What were the weather conditions like? Did your tires 'blow out' like in pop or skid out?

You need to get on the phone ASAP with your insurance company to figure that out. Visting your local govt's webpage about traffic laws and such is ESSENTIAL.

You should also make sure you're not hurt, though I'd trust in an accident of this magnitude you'd have been checked by someone at the scene of the accident.

Just try to be around some friends for a little while, figure how you'l be able to get transporation for awhile.

Shit happens man, life goes on. Just hang in there and try to grin and bear it. Tomorrow's another day and hopefully it'll be better.

SK
Sat, 10-08-2005, 05:36 AM
Call yourself a lawyer, if you're in New England I know about 20.

~1~

BioAlien
Sat, 10-08-2005, 06:04 AM
just face the consequence, you wanted to go fast well thats what happen, why do you think there is so many people every years thats get killed in car accident, because there is people "like" you thats are going a bit too fast (but something its because they are drunk...)

Xollence
Sat, 10-08-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by: BioAlien
just face the consequence, you wanted to go fast well thats what happen, why do you think there is so many people every years thats get killed in car accident, because there is people "like" you thats are going a bit too fast (but something its because they are drunk...)

There's nothing wrong with going fast as long as you don't drive wrecklessly. A lot of accidents on the highway around my area happen because of slow ass people staying on the fast lane.

lilphatboi88
Sat, 10-08-2005, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the advice guys and....I'm still feeling bad. I had to take the SAT's today (which is saturday) and to punish myself i walked for 5 miles to 7 miles. It really sucks to know that I sent to old lady to the hospital. I got out as soon as my car stopped to asked the lady how she was doing, and she was in shock or something and couldn't respond. She was sent to the hospital on a stretcher. I do have liability for the other party, but none for my car.

The weather condition was that it rained the night before after 3 or so dry days. I was going about 45 down the hill and my tires skidded out.

I keep having the flashbacks of not being able to control my car and flying over the median and hittiing straight into the other car. I just hope i did well enough on the SAT, I keep thinking about the accident. It won't stop.

But thanks for your guys's wise words of advice. It's nice to know how you guys make this problem seem so small and that stuff like this happens.

EDit: O, and I was cited for wreckless driving.

Xollence
Sat, 10-08-2005, 08:14 PM
Ouch! Isn't that like 5 points?

XanBcoo
Sat, 10-08-2005, 09:57 PM
Good luck on the SAT. I know what it's like to be distracted on an important test like that. If it was important to you, then I hope you did well (my bro took it today too).

I've never been in an accident, so I'll be coming back to this thread when the time comes. Good luck though, hope you can stop worrying about it.

Strike Freedom
Sat, 10-08-2005, 10:25 PM
Dude, you really should have tried to reschedule your SAT. That was a just EXTREMELY BAD timing. Oh well, too late now but I really hope u did well. Listen, I understand you feel real bad, but you are the only one who can get yourself out of that mood. No one, even the hottest babe (well maybe) could cheer you up if you don't help yourself. Take this as a learning experience in life, it is a bump in the road. But, you must keep walking down your path. I feel real bad for all this crap that is going on, and from experience I tell you that sometimes the good people get screwed over in life. You were dealt a bad hand in life right now, but it could be worse. Thank God she's still alive, your alive. Don't be scared of driving either, just take your time. Many of us young people tend to have a heavy foot when we drive (like it turns into solid iron gaining 25lbs as soon as we get into a car). I've been in accidents where I was at fault and where I was a victim. It is scary as hell, and the thing I realized is that things happen in life (and for a reason). In due time, you'll see or understand why all this happened. I think you're fortunate for not sustaining any more harm or injury to either yourself or the other party. So, as dumb as it may sound, just give God thanks for another day to be alive (if you don't believe in God then thank w/e you so please--a Gold Calf works great according to history). If you are really bothered by this, I suggest you seek professional help (and I'm not trying to insult you, i'm being 100% serious). Sometimes a therapist can help ease the situation you're currently under.

lilphatboi88
Sat, 10-08-2005, 11:12 PM
Geez Strike Freedom, u seem to be a smart guy. How old are you? You seem to know a lot about the law and you have great wisdom in your faith. I do believe in God and I have thanked him for everything that has happened. If you know who Joel Osteen is, I've read his book. It's called, "Your Best Life Now." He's the pastor that's on tv at times and the book is about how to live your life. He says not let your mind worry on the bad things and that God turns your troubles into victories or into your advantages.

To Young
Sat, 10-08-2005, 11:46 PM
This is my personal opinion and experience.

Make a folder regarding this incident. Put everything in it. 1) write a short journal entery (with date and time) of what happened from your point of view. 2) put all document regarding the accident in it, like police report, if you took any pictures with your disposable camerea. 3) Officer's name, ID of the lady you hit, Even witness names if possible.

I know it was a traumatic event for you. Only reason I am suggesting a folder is if the lady starts complaning and starts asking money. Then this becomes a court case, And those lawyers can drag it as long as they like to the point you even forget that you even had a car accident and you are requested at the court for your statement. That is when you pull out the folder and study it before going to lawyer negotiation meeting or court.

anyways good luck.

I wish i had keept a floder, it was a bitch to gather all the stuff 6 months after the accident.

lilphatboi88
Sat, 10-08-2005, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the tip, but I'm going to have to go to court on november 1st. I think they already justified that it was my fault in the accident.

Stoopider
Sun, 10-09-2005, 01:12 AM
Shit happeneds. Drive slower next time I guess i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

At least you didn't murderlize anybody.

lilphatboi88
Sun, 10-09-2005, 03:42 AM
I can't drive, I don't have a car anymore. I can't get anywhere. I have to rely on my parents to take me places but they can't because they have to work. Insurance will go up for my family. I lost the Lexus ES300.

Strike Freedom
Sun, 10-09-2005, 04:40 AM
DAMN, a Lexus, huh? Ouch. About my age, I'm only 22, and thanks for the compliment i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif. I'm attempting to become an attorney at the moment, so I guess that's why I'm a bit knowledgeable about the law (I work at a firm too right now). So wish me luck! i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif I do have great faith, yet I would not say I have faith in a particular religion, just in God.

I totally agree with what To Young said as well. Let me know how everything turns out. Remember no matter how bad it gets, try to maintain your composure throughout this process. A rational mind leads to optimal choice.

lilphatboi88
Mon, 10-10-2005, 06:20 PM
Ok guys, I'm trying to keep my mind off of this situation. But I just can't. Today during a spanish test, I just couldn't get my mind to concentrate on the test. I couldn't think of anyting to say or anything. I really tried to think happy thoughts or whatever, but I was totally out of it.

And later, my uncle helped me type out what I should say in court and I'll post it up later.

Right now, I am volunteering at a hospital so I don't have the documents.

Strike Freedom
Tue, 10-11-2005, 09:18 AM
I don't know, it seems so simple to just put your mind somewhere else. Yet, we just keep thinking about certain things that inhibit us from acting on further. It's like that U2 song "stuck in a moment." Just keep trying, don't quit.....

masamuneehs
Tue, 10-11-2005, 12:35 PM
You need to talk to your teachers and let them know where you're at. Sympathy might merit some favoring...

You can't live in the past. You'll only make more mistakes if you keep dwelling on the previous ones without learning how to move on and avoid repeating them. Maybe you should seek some new hobby to take your mind away? I know excercise is the best thing that helps me clear my mind.

"The storm cloud will not pass if you keep walking directly under it." - Chinese proverb

Strike Freedom
Tue, 10-11-2005, 04:12 PM
I like that quote you have there Masamuneehs, I'm going to borrow it i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif.