PDA

View Full Version : Movie: Serenity

ChiaCheese
Mon, 10-03-2005, 02:32 AM
I've seen the new box office movie Serenity twice now and it is hands down the best movie of the year and i think the best movie i've seen since Shaun of the Dead. I guarentee if you go out and watch this movie you will not regret it. and if you're worried about seeing it because you haven't seen Firefly, well rest assured because even those who went to the movie with me that have never seen Firefly and in some cases never even heard of it, LOVED Serenity and left the theatre with big smiles on their faces. and if you're the type to care what the critics have to say, well it currently has an impressive 79% fresh rating at rotten tomatoes and Ebert and the other guy give it two thumbs up. and if you're thinking to yourself that this movie is too sci fi and not enough horror, i have one word for you REAVERS. you'll understand when you see it. so stop reading and go WATCH IT already!

samsonlonghair
Mon, 10-03-2005, 03:28 AM
God, this is one of the most fucking awesome movies I've ever seen. I've been waiting all damn year for this. I hate to say it, but I liked Serenity more than Corpse Bride, and considering what a big Tim Burton fan I am, that says something. Joss Whedon can write dialogue better than anyone including Kevin Smith. I swear, seeing this move will be money well spent.

SK
Mon, 10-03-2005, 01:22 PM
I was going to see it, but then I thought it would be confusing since I didn't watch Firefly.

~1~

Xollence
Mon, 10-03-2005, 01:28 PM
Isn't Firefly about Vampires?

Honoko
Mon, 10-03-2005, 05:26 PM
i haven't seen the movie yet but according to ign filmforce, even tho serenity is a sequel of sorts to firefly, joss whedon wrote the screenplay in such a way so that new viewers won't feel alienated at all to this sci-fi/western world. i haven't seen firefly either but i'm willing to give the movie a shot before watching the series. and after watching buffy and angel, especially the ones where he personally wrote the script, i have pretty good faith that he's successfully realized his intentions with this movie.

@Xollence: i think you've mistaken that for Buffy and Angel i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Jaredster
Mon, 10-03-2005, 05:29 PM
IT FUCKING OWNS!

Saw it yesterday.

Assassin
Mon, 10-03-2005, 08:18 PM
since fox cancelled the show after the first season (im assumming there wasnt enuff mindless violence/sex in it for thier tastes) and the movie seems to be so popular (just the fact that it was made into a movie is amazing), i wonder if they'll pick it up again and continue with Firefly.

i really hope they do cuz thats was one fucking awsome show. and i love that intro so much,

ChiaCheese
Tue, 10-04-2005, 03:26 AM
i don't think Joss Whedon is interested in going back to TV, at least not right now. I do know he was interested in making Serenity into a movie franchise if it made enough money for the studio to green light it. unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's a big hit so that probably won't happen. but there is a comic book and a novelization coming out. also, if you've seen Serenity and loved it, help spread the word. if we can get enough p[eople to go, then maybe we can get some more Serenity in the future.

ChiaCheese
Thu, 10-06-2005, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by: Honoko
i haven't seen the movie yet but according to ign filmforce, even tho serenity is a sequel of sorts to firefly, joss whedon wrote the screenplay in such a way so that new viewers won't feel alienated at all to this sci-fi/western world. i haven't seen firefly either but i'm willing to give the movie a shot before watching the series. and after watching buffy and angel, especially the ones where he personally wrote the script, i have pretty good faith that he's successfully realized his intentions with this movie.

@Xollence: i think you've mistaken that for Buffy and Angel

ya, i've talked to a few more people now that went out and saw Serenity but haven't seen Firefly and they all said they didn't have any problem fallowing the story and they all pretty much enjoyed it. And if it helps for anyone that's still undecided, Serenity has moved up to a super high 80% fresh rating at rottentomatoes.com.

Don't double post.

Gotwoot Moderator

Raven
Fri, 10-07-2005, 07:20 PM
I saw it the other day. 'Twas ok, nothing that great in my book. I've never seen the series... I thought the main guy was a bit of a Han Solo wannabe.

I found it mildly entertaining despite not caring about the characters because I had no idea who they were. I went through most of the movie not knowing a lot of their names.

ChiaCheese
Wed, 10-12-2005, 03:32 AM
how was i double posting? i posted 2 seperate messages on 2 seperate days.
anyways, for those still undecided about seeing Serenity and haven't been persuaded by the poorly made trailers, you can now check out the first 9 minutes online.
Serenity first 9 minutes (http://video.vividas.com/CDN1/3929_Serenity/web/index.html)

Consecutive messages are not allowed. There must be atleast 1 post after your's for you to post a new message. Otherwise use the Edit option.

Gotwoot Moderator

Lefty
Wed, 10-12-2005, 04:04 AM
Good movie. Ain't Cinima Peradiso but it's better than Brothers Grim.

XwingRob
Thu, 10-13-2005, 08:53 PM
Yeah I liked the movie. Never seen much of the series before...
Though I will agree, watching the series would probaly make your care more about some of the characters.
My understanding was that with Firefly, Fox didn't aired the pilot episode first, they aired it three months later. So right off the bat people would have been turned off because they didn't know what was going on...

Uberbaka
Fri, 10-14-2005, 06:40 AM
Never seen firefly, saw serenity because some mate told me to... It was awesome, I'm heading over to buy the boxset of firefly now (all episodes up until it got cancelled) =P

milfhunter
Sun, 10-16-2005, 06:12 PM
Serenity is unarguably and definitively every notion of badass.

Aside from the masterfully composed trailer, suffice it to say that what really peaked my interest in Serenity was learning how the real-life story behind the making of this movie closely parallels its fictitious struggle of the Browncoats (i.e., Joss Whedon and the whole cast) against the Alliance (i.e., the malevolent media conglomerate known as News Corp and therefore Fox by extension). One of the themes in this movie is to believe in something -- as cliched as that sounds ... but no harm done if you aren't already turned off by the fact that Joss Whedon is the same guy who made Buffy the Vampire Slayer -- and it's truly amazing how the entire cast of Firefly believed in the story and its excellence, and didn't let the show's cancellation discourage or deter them a bit from supporting it.

As much as I'd like you to believe that you could enjoy this movie without having seen the series Firefly, however, I must admit that the experience would not be fully realized. I am certainly glad that while I wait for the next season of Naruto (i.e., minus the fillers that don't do Neji any justice), I downloaded every episode of Firefly according to this list (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303461/guests) [IMDb] before watching Serenity. It's not a necessity (the movie is absolutely amazing by itself), but I enthusiastically recommend that you at least watch the episode entitled Out of Gas because that episode alone will give you all the background you'll need to grok the depth of Serenity and its characters.

Once you do, you will understand my disappointment regarding the fact that actors Alan Tudyk and Ron Glass will not be involved in any future Firefly/Serenity-related projects. Those two were the most credible actors involved in Firefly and Serenity, so that should give you an idea of how much of an underdog the cast really is.

I hope that NBC Universal will buy the television rights for Firefly from Fox so that this story does not end. I know that NBC is also in dire need of something other than the million different iterations of Law and Order (i.e., think CBS's flattery by imitation with CSI Miami and CSI New York), ever since Friends was retired. It would be a mutually beneficial business decision ... but considering that something intelligent like Serenity being given the gift of a theatrical release is rare enough, I'll just count my blessings.

mage
Mon, 10-17-2005, 12:55 AM
this movie SUCKED. this is honestly one of the worst movies i have seen in a few years. i took a 20 minute shit during the climax of the movie and didn't even care. all that "humor", if you can call it that, and cheesy lines totally ruined the movie.

Lefty
Mon, 10-17-2005, 01:31 AM
I take it you want no plot, meaning, or anyting intelligable to care about the characters in films you watch. I bet you think torque was a good movie.

milfhunter
Wed, 10-19-2005, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by: mage
this movie SUCKED.
Thanks. Hopefully, your $0.02 (and $7) will find a way to contribute to the budget of Serenity 2.

Munsu
Sat, 12-24-2005, 01:54 AM
Just spent the whole day watching the series and the movie...

Series was fun, movie was amazing... I really recommend watching the series first, especially since you'll feel more attached to the characters, especially when they kill off some of them...

River action scenes were great, I hope another movie or something is on the works.

Munsu
Tue, 10-23-2007, 09:02 AM
Just saw that they are thinking on doing another Serenity movie. It would be great if they did, a bit more of River action wouldn't hurt.
http://www.cinematical.com/2007/10/04/are-plans-for-serenity-2-in-the-works/

Abdula
Tue, 10-23-2007, 02:43 PM
Loved Firefly and thought Serenity was a great though under appreciated movie.

I would think that straight to DVD would be okay since the first one didn't do too well in box office but it did so well when it was released on DVD that I think they have sufficiently increased their fans and attracted enough attention to warrant another attempt at the box office since most movie goers are blockheads who prefer flashy uninteresting movies and underachieving sequels anyway.

Either way its great news hope it comes to fruition.

Assassin
Tue, 10-23-2007, 03:33 PM
i would pay double to see another serenity movie.

saman
Tue, 10-23-2007, 11:07 PM
if they make another serentiy movie, i hereby pledge that i will go see it in theatres many, many times.