PDA

View Full Version : Game: Disgaea 2

complich8
Fri, 09-30-2005, 07:03 PM
News:

Disgaea 2 announced. Japanese release December 2005 (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09/28/news_6134627.html?part=rss&tag=gs_all_games&subj=6 134627)

I've recently become a big fan of both Atlus and Nippon Ichi, so I'm excited! Who's with me?

kooshi
Fri, 09-30-2005, 09:40 PM
Wahoo!! I just love playing the first (hell, I only started it like a month ago, but still love it).

Terracosmo
Fri, 09-30-2005, 10:11 PM
I never finished Disgaea actually (due to high difficulty), but hell, why not. I'm buying this.

RedX1z
Fri, 09-30-2005, 10:23 PM
i dunno, never heard of it, but just by reading it, it sounds promising..

dark maginn
Fri, 09-30-2005, 10:49 PM
heard of it but havent played it but looks good to me

Phoenix20578
Fri, 09-30-2005, 10:57 PM
Nice. I hope this one was as great as the first. I hate it when sequels suck.
*cough* Matrix *cough*

RedX1z
Fri, 09-30-2005, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by: Phoenix20578
Nice. I hope this one was as great as the first. I hate it when sequels suck.
*cough* Matrix *cough*

really does, especially when you think it's supposed to be great..*cough*final fantasy x*cough*

complich8
Sat, 10-01-2005, 04:15 AM
Hey, I enjoyed FFX, a lot. Except for the fucking minigames to get certain celestial weapons, that is.
Or did you mean FFX-2, that strange hybrid of "pretty princess dressup" and final fantasy 5? The dynamic job system was not without its merits, but I have to say ... I hated EVERY SINGLE MINIGAME IN FFX-2. EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM. And 2/3 of the game's content is predicated on those craptastic minigames! WTF!

Anyway, I've played other Atlus sequels (SMT3: Nocturne, SMT: DDS). While Nippon Ichi isn't Atlus (but usually publishes via Atlus, I guess?), I loved disgaea. I'm not quite sure how a sequel will work out, but if it's got improvements on the already-awesome battle system, a solid story that's incredibly well voice-acted in both Japanese and English, and a sane evolution of the music, I'm sure I'll put in my 150+ hours on it too :-p.

RedX1z
Sat, 10-01-2005, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by: complich8
Hey, I enjoyed FFX, a lot. Except for the fucking minigames to get certain celestial weapons, that is.
Or did you mean FFX-2, that strange hybrid of "pretty princess dressup" and final fantasy 5? The dynamic job system was not without its merits, but I have to say ... I hated EVERY SINGLE MINIGAME IN FFX-2. EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM. And 2/3 of the game's content is predicated on those craptastic minigames! WTF!

Anyway, I've played other Atlus sequels (SMT3: Nocturne, SMT: DDS). While Nippon Ichi isn't Atlus (but usually publishes via Atlus, I guess?), I loved disgaea. I'm not quite sure how a sequel will work out, but if it's got improvements on the already-awesome battle system, a solid story that's incredibly well voice-acted in both Japanese and English, and a sane evolution of the music, I'm sure I'll put in my 150+ hours on it too :-p.

yeah, i did mean x-2. it was a huge mistake from my point of view..

Nai
Sat, 10-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Final Fantasy X-2... I actually still have it shitting on a shelf somewhere ( yes, I said "shitting" ). I was unable to even finish that game due to the fucking girl power pop atmosphere. I came to Seymours mansion and then I turned off my PS2 in absolute disgust. And "Brother" has to be the most annoying and pathetic character ever in a video game.

Ahem, as for Disgaea 2. YAY! Excellent news.

Phoenix20578
Sat, 10-01-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by: complich8

*claping enthusiasticly*

Strider
Mon, 10-03-2005, 10:31 AM
I never finished the first one. I spent most of my time on one of the worlds in the earlier stages, boosting up all of my characters. It was one of those levels where the all the Geo Panels were Invincibility, save one or two. And, I'd combine all the enemies into one huge monster, place them on the regular panel, while Laharl and Co. were Invincible, and wrecked shop on the baddie. Great experience early on, and a way to bring your creations up to speed.

Anyway ..

Although I never finished the original, I had tons of fun with it, and will definitely pick up this sequel.

Anyone ever make it to be Uber Penguin boss, in the Alternate Underworld? I heard he was like .. Level 6,000.

Mae
Mon, 10-03-2005, 05:25 PM
I tried to get to the penguin boss... never made it. But I did play through the game twice (I got the sad ending the first time and just couldn't leave it at that...)

Disgaea was a lot of fun, and this is definately good news. I hope it holds up to the original. I got Phantom Blade, which is a similar game by the same company, but I never really warmed to it. I think it suffered from too many variables (different characters, weapons, objects for binding characters, weapons, combining weapons, skills, etc, etc). A little TOO complex, I thought.

Anyways, I shall definately have to pick this one up.

Edit: You're right, it was called Phantom Brave. Been a while since I played it.

stos289
Mon, 10-03-2005, 06:14 PM
By the Uber Penguin Boss, I guess you guys mean Uber Prinny Baal. That is the form he takes after you beat him in his regular Baal form. I haven't gotten up to him myself, but my brother has and he is ridiculosly strong. The guys that could hurt Baal couldn't even scratch Uber Prinny Baal. He is just there for the ridiculous "must get 100% and beat everything" guys out there.

Also, Mae, I believe you were referring to Phantom Brave which is made by Nippon Ichi (the same as Disgaea). That was a good game, but like you said, tried to many things and didn't really work out unless you really knew what you were doing.

Anyway, I'm extremely pumped for Disgaea 2. Can't wait for the awesome battlesystem and looking forward to the new and returning characters. By the way, here (http://rpgamer.com/games/disgaea/disgaea2/propaganda/disgaea2propaganda093005.html) are some pictures of the game and some of the changes that they are making. Also, some more (http://rpgamer.com/news/Q3-2005/093005d.html) details on the story.

Nai
Mon, 10-03-2005, 08:37 PM
Some very interesting links there. Thanks!

Seems like Dark Lord Valvolga (http://www.nisamerica.com/games/MK/varu.html) from Makai Kingdom will make a cameo ( he can be seen in the lower right corner here (http://rpgamer.com/games/disgaea/disgaea2/propaganda/disgaea2005.jpg) ).

Originally posted by: Mae
I got Phantom Blade, which is a similar game by the same company, but I never really warmed to it. I think it suffered from too many variables (different characters, weapons, objects for binding characters, weapons, combining weapons, skills, etc, etc). A little TOO complex, I thought.

Fully agree with you about Phantom Brave. The game was ridiculously complex and just had too much shit in it. I didn't really enjoy the characters much either.

complich8
Tue, 10-04-2005, 01:54 AM
ahh, uber-prinny baal.

I never did level quite high enough to beat him.

I was pretty close on one save though. I had a Yoshitsuna levelled to about level 90, but needed to put about 20,000 more levels worth of gladiators on it, and maybe do the same with another one, to beat uber-prinny baal at the level I was at.

Lemme tell ya .... I've done SO much fishing for legendary cosmic blades though ;_;. I mean .... hours upon hours of fishing for the sought-after LCB ... it's just sad.

I SO want this game to come to the USA. Sounds like a winning story i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif. (Disclaimer: I could spend another 100+ hours in disgaea, even with no new story at all ... I wouldn't mind that time being in disgaea 2 instead i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif)

LaZie
Wed, 08-30-2006, 05:08 PM
Disgaea 2:Cursed Memories is officially released yesterday, but being sold today :p

Well as for me, I'm dling it at this very moment along with Xenosaga Ep 3

Terracosmo
Mon, 09-18-2006, 11:43 PM
I picked it up. It's very, very similar to the first one in terms of gameplay; but refined nontheless. I'm at chapter 4 so far, the story feels pretty cliche and not so involving, but it's still another solid SRPG from Nippon-Ichi. I still love the sense of humor in this franchise, particularly the newscasts between chapters. :D

complich8
Tue, 09-19-2006, 01:56 AM
The main storyline is indeed sort of ... self-mockingly cliche. That's what's great about it. Right from the start, Roz's "what, are you level 1,000,000,000?" ... the whole level thing being somewhat directly visible to the people in that universe is just cute.

Later on in the plot, it develops some good subtleties and interesting twists, that are definitely worth seeing and/or figuring out.

I've enjoyed the 100ish hours I've put into it so far :p