PDA

View Full Version : Fullmetal Alchemist

Kenshiro
Thu, 09-22-2005, 12:28 PM
Hey,

Ive been looking to watch a new anime and I havent been able to decide which one. Alot of people have recommended FMA, but ive put off watching it because i thought the plot sounded a bit lame.

My questions are

1. Is it good? Is it mostly action or drama? (I know this is very subjective, my favourite anime so far have been Bebop, Evangelion and Hokuto no Ken, to give you an idea of the type of stuff i like)

2. Who did the best Fansub? I know Kick-Ass-Anime did a sub of it but i have never downloaded any of their releases so i dont know if they are good or not.

Thanks

Munsu
Thu, 09-22-2005, 12:43 PM
yeah it's very much worth it...

good action, pretty good plot... of course some drama... some comedy also... it has a bit of everything, except romance (some small hinted things)

anbu-keep and then spoon were the best subs out there in my opinion,

as for kickassanime i'm pretty sure they are using their script, so maybe you could check their version out, plus theirs is from a dvd source...

miaka
Thu, 09-22-2005, 12:57 PM
yes.. it IS AMAZING

WATCH IT.. bet it would make you cry.. and teach you a lot of life lessons

Uberbaka
Thu, 09-22-2005, 01:18 PM
Judging by the ones you've already seen I would say you'll love it for all that it's worth

As previously stated, it's got a bit of everything and pulls it off nicely in one hell of a rollercoaster of an anime.

I need to rewatch it...

Twomix9900
Thu, 09-22-2005, 01:24 PM
If you can stand those "goody-goody" heros and actually like to think about the plot, then yes you should

Jadugar
Thu, 09-22-2005, 01:50 PM
Watching FMA should be on everybody's "to do list before dying".

I watched AKeep-ANBU & Spoon subs and I thought they were pretty good.

Here is the link (http://www.mininova.org/tor/32434) to the page of all 51 batch episodes.

GhostKaGe
Thu, 09-22-2005, 01:55 PM
watch it you'll like it. Can't wait to see the movie

aznimperialx
Thu, 09-22-2005, 02:13 PM
u should watch it. It has a lil bit of everything

dark maginn
Thu, 09-22-2005, 03:01 PM
u should watch it its really good

Phoenix20578
Thu, 09-22-2005, 03:06 PM
Anyone who hasnt seen this anime is very deprived. As Jadugar said:

Originally posted by: Jadugar
Watching FMA should be on everybody's "to do list before dying".

PSJ
Thu, 09-22-2005, 03:36 PM
I agree with everyone in here. Although i never got to see the end i'm planning on re-downloading it.

Shuurai
Thu, 09-22-2005, 05:04 PM
I have a sudden urge to watch the series again.

Kenshiro
Thu, 09-22-2005, 05:16 PM
Thanks everyone, youve convinced me to watch it.

Terracosmo
Thu, 09-22-2005, 05:25 PM
Very good show which actually has the full spectra of emotions in it. Violence, comedy, horror, action, colorfulness, darkness... seriously, it's a very admirable show.

Hakeem_21
Thu, 09-22-2005, 07:23 PM
The best shonen i have seen cause it had a lot more than normal shonens. Darker,better story etc.

jing
Fri, 09-23-2005, 08:26 AM
It's not lame -.-

GhostKaGe
Fri, 09-23-2005, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by: jing
It's not lame -.-

What other reason could anyone possibly need other than what jing said

Terracosmo
Sat, 09-24-2005, 09:18 PM
And to add to what I previously said: watch it because it's fucking awesome

NOW

The Heretic Azazel
Sat, 09-24-2005, 09:26 PM
I think this show is kinda overrated... it starts really well and peters out in the middle. There's a lot of episodes in which nothing at all got accomplished or wasn't that exciting... the characters are cool but the story loses steam, to me, as it unfolds.

Scar is way cool though.

kooshi
Sat, 09-24-2005, 09:33 PM
Honestly, I was hoping for more action in this series. However, where the small bits of action fell, it was made up by the awesome story. Granted, a couple of side stories were not really linked to the main story, but it got the job done. Plus, with all the twists, the story just keeps you on the edge of your seat, and when something does get solved, it jumps right into another twist.

Overall, WATCH THE DAMN SERIES!!

The Heretic Azazel
Sat, 09-24-2005, 09:50 PM
But only watch it until Scar destroys the Chimera.

Terracosmo
Sat, 09-24-2005, 10:01 PM
The music is so fucking good

I love Rewrite (op 4), can listen to it forever

Also watch the whole damn thing, the only bad part is that Kimbley (obviously the coolest villian) isn't in any openings

kooshi
Sun, 09-25-2005, 12:25 AM
Hell yeah, Rewrite is one of the best openings out there!! Even better than their Haruka Kanata intro, IMO.

MrTicTac
Mon, 09-26-2005, 10:43 AM
i'll be first to rant on it i guess,,, well semi-rant

its decent show,, that kid in the armour suit as a really damn annoying childrens voice though,, i'm not a big fan of their art style (yea i like animation eyecandy i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif ) comedy is kinda weak (only funny char i thought was that one sgt guy w/glasses who always dug up info for the main char)

i say this anime doesnt have any depth,, like u know,, u gotta be able to enjoy the chars etc,, u gotta be able to relate to them, think theyre funny, think theyre badass, like be part of the story

i just never liked the chars,, and i thought the drama was weak, they basically said same things over and over

the idea of being able to synthesize things was fun, few moments of badassness for that kid,, but thats about it,, he was kinda corny badass

Terracosmo
Mon, 09-26-2005, 10:51 AM
Don't listen to TicTac, as he's clearly delusional.

MrTicTac
Mon, 09-26-2005, 11:02 AM
bleh my opinion,, i stopped watching like mid 30's,, i was just annoyed as hell while watching it and felt like an hour passed when its only been like 15min (no i'm not saying story pacing is slow) i 'm just wtf am i doing,, i'd rather d/l something else with the few moments of free time i got

Terracosmo
Mon, 09-26-2005, 11:49 AM
>: (

To stop watching FMA is heresy.
Then again, the first time I watched it I stopped at ep 8, the second time I stopped at ep 14 and then finally the third time I got hooked and watched it all.
I think it needs some time to sink in, too.

The Heretic Azazel
Mon, 09-26-2005, 03:00 PM
You're damn right about the english voice actor for Al, I dunno, maybe I shouldn't have watched the damn thing in English.

The show does pick up in the end but it just seems like it stalls so hard in the middle.

And I was going to snap someone's fucking neck if I heard the concept of equivalent exchange again.

PSJ
Mon, 09-26-2005, 03:50 PM
Al sounds like a kid because he is a fucking kid. There is nothing strange about that.

The Heretic Azazel
Mon, 09-26-2005, 07:33 PM
Temper temper, tsk.

MrTicTac
Mon, 09-26-2005, 07:43 PM
yea no shit hes a kid,, one kid with an annoying voice as i was saying

aznimperialx
Mon, 09-26-2005, 08:32 PM
well it aint his fault he sounds like a kid. he was sealed to the armor when he was around 11 and he cant grow cause hes in a fucking armor.

hellangel000
Mon, 09-26-2005, 10:27 PM
FMA is the best!!! i luv that show its a damn good show heheheh well any1 who heard of it but didnt watch it yet should watch it its really awesome

Zinobi
Mon, 09-26-2005, 10:39 PM
to be very honest it sucks.................fuck if i meant tht i would kill myself this is my favorite anime and should be watched by everyone in the entire fucking planet if you dont watch this i may have to do something horrible i just got done watching the series in a 2 day marathon this summe i might start watching it again though (it would be for the 4th time i like it tht much)

Roko
Mon, 09-26-2005, 10:49 PM
I can't figure out why I love this series to hell....if you look at it from a broader perspective, it technically isn't as good as other series in terms of plot, and maybe a little character development as well. But then, there's just something to it that intrigues people...I dunno if it's because of the alchemy or something else, and it certainly hooked me. Whatever the case, it may seem weird at first, but it'll grow on you. Tis a pity that they cut the series short and killed the ending so that GSD could air i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Zinobi
Mon, 09-26-2005, 11:13 PM
is that seriously why the series is only 51 eps?

Roko
Mon, 09-26-2005, 11:21 PM
that's what I heard from many people (in times long past...so don't ask me for proof since the fma forum was deleted and all...). From my understanding, the company cut funds from the fma project to concentrate their efforts on GSD. therefore, fma started to deviate from the fma manga at around ep 25, and thus ended with a completely made up ending (and crappy as well, at least from my point of view). Well, at least that's what I heard.

Y
Tue, 09-27-2005, 12:32 AM
Considering that no one in the production of FMA was even remotely involved in distributing Gundam SEED Destiny and the two are animated, directed and produced by totally different studios, I can safely call bullshit on that.

Zinobi
Tue, 09-27-2005, 01:07 AM
ok good thanx Y

Hakeem_21
Tue, 09-27-2005, 01:49 AM
FMA not having a good plot is the craziest thing i have heard!!

I mean it has better plot than 99.9% of all shonens.....

Terracosmo
Tue, 09-27-2005, 11:35 AM
Yeah, but it doesn't have ninjas. I assume that's why there are people who don't like it.

XanBcoo
Tue, 09-27-2005, 01:55 PM
FMA is one of my favorite series already - and I've only seen the episodes they've shown on Adult Swim (up to 28 now). I think everything about it is just awesome. There are some emotional parts in the series which didn't effect me as much as I thought they should have, but I still love it to death. I'll be another person to say, it's a must watch.

Also, I really like Al's English voice i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif He brings a lot of depth to the show for me. I've seen both versions, and I like both the dub and the sub. Vic Mignogna rules too.

hellangel000
Tue, 09-27-2005, 02:31 PM
FAM is awesom and I like it but I don't know why anyway, if every anime has ninjas in it then it would be really boring because it would be same thing over and over again. Honestly, people who are into ninja too much should grow up, naruto is awesome and I do like it but still not everything can be naruto and FMA is something diffrent and maybe that's why people like it so much...just a guess.

Roko
Wed, 09-28-2005, 12:09 AM
People of GotWoot, I present to you, what we have been waiting for for months: FMA MOVIE released by Fork (http://www.point-blank.cc:16384/allowed/torrent.php/%5BFork%5DFull_Metal_Alchemist_-_The_Conqueror_of_Shambala_(CAM).torrent). Damn Right! Finally out!

This is subbed but is a cam version.

my recommendation: don't download unless you can't wait and can stand the horrible quality.

aznimperialx
Wed, 09-28-2005, 06:38 AM
nice nice

nests
Wed, 09-28-2005, 08:34 AM
some time ago a downloaded a raw but the screen size was very small do you know how big this one is

Jadugar
Wed, 09-28-2005, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by: Roko
People of GotWoot, I present to you, what we have been waiting for for months: FMA MOVIE released by Fork (http://www.point-blank.cc:16384/allowed/torrent.php/%5BFork%5DFull_Metal_Alchemist_-_The_Conqueror_of_Shambala_(CAM).torrent). Damn Right! Finally out!

I think its a cam version.

I been waiting for this a long time since the ending was a disappointment and left too many questions unanswered. I hope this movie explain some of those questions.

Cant wait to see someone calling him shorty.

Darknodin
Wed, 09-28-2005, 07:01 PM
I started downloading it... it has a sfv file with it...so it might really be a subbed

Munsu
Wed, 09-28-2005, 07:47 PM
yeah, it's subbed... still a cam source...

Hakeem_21
Thu, 09-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Hehe the word CAM disgust me so i wont go near this.

But im itching after the dvd version or any decent version.

Jadugar
Thu, 09-29-2005, 11:53 AM
@Roko : Is that cam version any good?

Lefty
Thu, 09-29-2005, 01:09 PM
NO. The guy holding the camera shifts a lot and during the first seven minutes you really don't see much of the screen. But as a rabid fan I could care less. I watch it nd feel fufilled to see the real ending to FMA.

Phoenix20578
Thu, 09-29-2005, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by: Lefty
NO. The guy holding the camera shifts a lot and during the first seven minutes you really don't see much of the screen. But as a rabid fan I could care less. I watch it nd feel fufilled to see the real ending to FMA.

Damn Japanese bootleggers.....

Anyway Lefty, from on rabid fan to another, how was the movie? I'm still waiting on the download.

Lefty
Thu, 09-29-2005, 04:16 PM
I have to say it felt rather suhed adn there wasn't wnough focus on AL and that bunch but besides taht it was good story and it felt like the proper ending to the series.

ChaosK
Thu, 09-29-2005, 08:40 PM
yeah it was 1 of the few endings that really didnt suck shit, i'm betting this GSD ending sucks, the DBZ ending sucked...the last few kenshin eps werent manga material...

anyway you should watch FMA. (i have no idea what that guy saying FAM is referring to full ass mechanic?) or i could be a typo i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

and ed's cool. so's al, but Ed's development was pretty sweet (his goal changes and the way al influences him is good) through a lot of the series as people they meet think, Al is more of the other brother with the voice of reason until it comes to fighting where Ed protects him.

kAi
Fri, 09-30-2005, 12:32 PM
Just finished watching the movie, and it was a good way to finish it.
Not much action in the Alchemey world, which was disappointing.

Bob1
Fri, 09-30-2005, 12:51 PM
seen as no one has really answered this, KAA is on Par with the better sub groups, mainly because they sometime use the better sub-group's subs, meaning, they have the ultimate in quality and good subs, plus they put effort into the fonts and everything like that, which DVD-Rippers like zx and a4e don't. Ultimately leaving you in a win win situation on choosing KAA over any other Fan-sub group.

nasman
Sat, 10-01-2005, 05:03 AM
really poor quality cam so links removed.

Terracosmo
Sat, 10-01-2005, 08:20 PM
The best part of the entire anime is when Jean Havoc has a date with Armstrong's sister. That was so damn hilarious.

Darknodin
Sat, 10-01-2005, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by: Terracosmo
The best part of the entire anime is when Jean Havoc has a date with Armstrong's sister. That was so damn hilarious.

best part... no... funniest part... yea! this was a filler as fillers should always be.. along with the ghost story and how then colonel(?) was always getting the girls!

Roko
Mon, 10-03-2005, 09:40 PM
yep...I can never forget the make all girls wear miniskirts part by Mustang and Hawkeye's dog (when she shot him up). Ended up not watchin the movie...can't stand the quality.

AngelEyez
Sat, 10-08-2005, 04:46 PM
I loved this series. Not seen the movie yet, but I don't really want to watch a cam quality one either, so I guess I'll wait for now i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

aznroyale
Sat, 10-08-2005, 05:48 PM
i didnt even d/l it yet and i have the torrent

el_boss
Wed, 11-30-2005, 08:24 AM
I can't believe it took me so long to watch FMA. It is truly a masterpiece. I was surprised how deep it was as well, handling such heavy subjects as love, death, loss and so on. The only negative thing about the show is that it is too short. The ending felt very rushed, another 1-3 eps would have benifited the show signifcantly. It was a really good ending even though. It was kind of sad that Alphonse forgot everything, it felt like he would just start the tragedies again by doing the same mistake that put them in that situation.

I didn't really get the afterlife thing. Does everyone that die wind up there or is it just people that have attempted human transmutation?

KaosSinner
Wed, 11-30-2005, 09:05 AM
Alfonse didnt forget everything. he just seemed like that so everyone did not have to worry about him. He might have forgotten something but he remembers all that his brother has done for him. The ending was really suitable. Just leaving it like that was perfect.

el_boss
Wed, 11-30-2005, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by: KaosSinner
Alfonse didnt forget everything. he just seemed like that so everyone did not have to worry about him. He might have forgotten something but he remembers all that his brother has done for him. The ending was really suitable. Just leaving it like that was perfect.

Did you not watch the last episode? Edward had to sacrifice the time they had spent together after they tried to transmutate their mother. I think Alphonse even forgot that they did the transmutation.

aznimperialx
Wed, 11-30-2005, 03:04 PM
yea in the end when Al gets his body back, he forgets the adventures he had, but he remembers Ed

KaosSinner
Thu, 12-01-2005, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by: aznimperialx
yea in the end when Al gets his body back, he forgets the adventures he had, but he remembers Ed

He remembers him and he knows Ed has sacrifised a lot for him even though he might not know exactly what. Thats why he said he was going to work hard to meet ed again.

masamuneehs
Mon, 03-27-2006, 03:35 PM
watched the first episode. one of my friends back home constantly raves about this show, even though he really never watches anime and considers the latest Yugi-oh to be good entertainment (which is why i didn't jump at his recommendation of FMA...)

animation looks beautiful. the pacing in the episode moved damn fast. good voice acting. didn't really get too much of a laugh out of anything except for them making fun of Ed's height. seems like there's going to be tons of action here.

...there had better be a good explanation for why Ed can do Alchemy without the Circle... that gives him an edge in combat like an uzi over a bolt-action rifle... (and DONT tell me what it is!)

so many people raved about this show, so i'm trying it out. initial reaction: Better than average show.

Kraco
Mon, 03-27-2006, 04:15 PM
There's certainly an explanation. I'll leave it for you to decide whether it's good or not. It can't be explained at all without spoiling.

I both like and dislike FMA, and consequently it will never make it into my list of top animes. Everything else about the series is fine, technical things especially, but many the fights. God I hated some of those. I nearly ripped hair off my head and armrests off my chair because of the frustration so many of the fights caused me. They partially ruined the show for me.

However, I could still recommend this to people. My brother seemed to like it no problem, and I know many other people who do as well.

masamuneehs
Mon, 03-27-2006, 04:54 PM
lol kraco... could you possibly get any more vague with the kind of 'frustration' you're talking about?

don't be that afraid of spoiling for me...

Kraco
Mon, 03-27-2006, 05:42 PM
There's a strange imbalance between how powerful the alchemy looks like and often is, and how Edward actually uses it in the fights. Especially after the homonculus enter the stage. They are pictured as nearly invinsible beings, yet I didn't catch a single word of explanation why. Why couldn't Edward freely use his alchemy when fighting them, when he could use it (every now and then) in the other fights.

Damn, man. I don't want to remember those things. As time has gone by, I already forgot some of the hateful feelings the fights in this series caused for me. I wouldn't care otherwise, but as I said, it was a fine series otherwise. Of course there have been other series with quite similar problems, like the recent Bleach fillers with Ichigo just standing still and not fighting opponents at all.

Jadugar
Mon, 03-27-2006, 06:27 PM
@ masamuneehs :

Your friend is absolutely right about this anime. This is one of the best animes you will see in your life. The story is little weird at the beginning but really picks up after episode 9 or 10. I can still remember those words. “doka koka”(equivalent trade).

Seriously the animation is top notch and the story is quite good. This is one of those shows where being average is not an option. All the characters are built in depth and the voice actors are great. Maybe you can do a VA feature after watching this. I really liked the special bond between the two brothers.

When you said in one of the threads that you were downloading KAA FMA, I assumed that you have already seen the anime and downloading KAA version for archiving. Why haven’t you seen this anime so far is far beyond me?

@ Kraco :

I am surprised that this anime didn’t make it to your top ten list. This is one of the top ten animes out there. The only downside of this anime was that it was rushed at the end and deviated from the manga. Otherwise this anime could have been great but none the less its worth anybody’s precious time.

masamuneehs
Mon, 03-27-2006, 06:47 PM
funny that you should say those things Jad.

Just watched episode 4. I like how this show has bright animation and really light-hearted humor sometime (along with the brotherly love that is so sappy sweet), but there aren't any qualms about showing the nastier side of things to.

A little boy, missing an arm and a leg, sitting on a bed saying he wants to join the military, just like that, without any 'dramatic' focus or shading or any effect that usually goes along with images like that. I am a sucker for artistic flourishes (see e7) but this kind of 'detailed but not overelaborate' style is quite nice.

And even the side characters seem to have a good amount of thought put into them as well. I think i'm going to enjoy this show :)

Munsu
Mon, 03-27-2006, 06:48 PM
Masa, stop visting this thread until you finish the series... Or I'll spoil you on pm.

masamuneehs
Mon, 03-27-2006, 07:21 PM
dont be an ass Bud :p

i shall do as i wish. besides, its gonna be awhile before i finish this entire damn series. you're all free to talk about this as much as you want to, spoiler shit included. (not like anyone has for over 3 months before my post...) I'll just have to avoid it.

I already got caught by a nice fat spoiler while moderating a Naruto topic...:mad:

Munsu
Mon, 03-27-2006, 07:23 PM
Well, just keep posting your observations and reactions as you keep watching, but stop reading the posts in here... One of the things that I liked about FMA was the surprises... If you ruin those, the series won't have no real charm.

XanBcoo
Mon, 03-27-2006, 09:07 PM
I agree with Kraco in that the setup of the fights was just a tad annoying. But the execution of the scenes was really amazing. In several major fights, the animation is so fluid it's outstanding and totally made up for any other complaints I have about this show. I also liked the technical aspects of some of the battles (like when Ed fights Greed).

Other than that I enjoyed the series for the most part. I missed a few episodes because I watched it on Cartoon Network, but saw enough to understand the finale - which I enjoyed.

Jadugar
Mon, 03-27-2006, 09:30 PM
Why nobody is talking about the story. It was well executed and was very moving.

I though the fight scenes were good especially the ones at the end.

I don’t want to spoil masa, so lets talk when he is finished.

Hurry up masa. We are all waiting!

dragonrage
Mon, 03-27-2006, 10:17 PM
@masamuneehs: sit back, relax and get ready for a mind blowing experience....This is one of my favorite anime. And make sure and watch the damn movie....The series and the movie left me in aw. It was just fucking amazing. anyways i will keep watch over this thread, waiting to see what you thought of the episodes.

edit: i almost forgot the reason why he can do alchemy without a transmutation circle is because the old lady molested him when she was making him an automail... lol.. enjoy..

masamuneehs
Sun, 04-09-2006, 05:09 PM
man, just watched episode 25 "Farewell Ceremony" and fuck was it awesome.

Everything in that episode was executed perfectly, down to the very last detail. Fucking almost cried myself... The last scene on the train was a weird way to finish it, but it really made alot of sense and was really a great 'this is just how it is' thing. Fucking Envy is cold-blooded... and Sloth is it? Wonder what that Homoculus is going to be like...

Scar is the absolute most badass motherfucker in this show. I love how he listens to his old master tell him about how he'll never be able to live normally if he hurts people and then walks outside, grabs the guy off the motorcycle and explodes his skull from the inside out. Fuckin sweet! :D

dragonrage
Thu, 04-13-2006, 04:01 AM
Yeah scar is pretty badass, and that was fucking awsome especially in his injured state.

I am glad that you are enjoying the series and i think you should thank you yu-gi-oh loving friend lol. He atleast got this one correct.

Now you know why i like huges, that is what you call a true friend. He acted dumb but was a really honorable man.

Anyways it gets better keep on watching.

will continue to monitor the thread for your updates.

Carnage
Thu, 04-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Ya, Scar kicks alot of ass. I personally think the last 10 eps. were the best. Thats when everything is revealed and all the uber fighs begin. I wont spoil anything for Masamuneehs sake, so I'll wait;)

Splash!
Thu, 04-13-2006, 03:01 PM
I loved this show from the very beginning. Ever since that episode in the beginning with the chimera. The one where tucker decides to experiment on his daughter. I finished watching it and i was like "Holy Shit!". It was then i realized that this anime was clearly not some everyday thing. That got me hooked on this series. Clearly an awesome anime. Its much more unusual and different from regular shows. And Scar blowing up people's brains was always great to watch. The end was kind of awkward though. I still liked it even though it was really weird. Many anime tend to drag on and the story doesnt seem to be getting anywhere, but in FMA, everything is done brilliantly and the plot really is marvellous

oni_roh
Sun, 04-16-2006, 05:01 PM
i just marathoned all 51 episodes. I got completely hooked. Amazing anime i loved every second. My only real beefs (like other people said) was the abrupt end. I don't mind it really i liked the ending, but like the other guy said 1-3 more episodes to explain the wholes in the plot. The unanswered questions are eating at me. Can't wait for the movie.

btw, anyone have a torrent for the movie? other then cam, but if i have to i'll suck it up and watch it

masamuneehs
Sun, 04-16-2006, 05:10 PM
There's already an entire thread for the FMA movie but here's the link either way. FullMetalAlchemist Movie - Conqueror of Shamballa - KickAssAnime (http://kaa.animeconnection.net/torrentpage/torrents/%5BKAA%5D_Fullmetal_Alchemist_the_Conqueror_of_Sha mballa.DVD.torrent)

Movie ties up a couple of loose ends but it also has some flaws. Still the movie leaves the story at a much better ending point than the series.

seanos
Sun, 04-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Great series alright, already started to rewatch some episodes.

KAA FMA Movie (DVD)
(http://kaa.animeconnection.net/torrentpage/torrents/%5BKAA%5D_Fullmetal_Alchemist_the_Conqueror_of_Sha mballa.DVD.torrent)

UberSuperHACKER
Sun, 04-16-2006, 09:31 PM
HOnestly this is the show that got me to watch any anime as any sort of "addaction" I had already seen my share of anime,: Vampire Hunter D, Akira, Ninja Scroll, DBZ.... all the standard stuff that anyone that is geeky enough ... one of your friends has or will try to make you watch. They are all good... But FMA was the thing that made me realize how much good anime was out there, mostly it made me appricate all the anime that people create and fully intend to END.

What I mean by the last statement is that since its not some constantly continuing thing aspects of the plot and the characters can be more thought out... and not thrown together simply to legenthen the series (i.e. no need for filler).

All and all ...FMA is Great and little things you catch watching it for the second (and third.. hah yeah I am a dork) time through are worth it.

Some Random Stuff I noticed
(NOTHING HERE IS A REAL SPOILER... so READ AWAY no matter how many epiosdes you have seen):

The text in the first "alchemy book" Edward and Al ever read, when they find it and have a flashback.....Pause and look at the text in the book.... Its some sorta Dungeons and Dragons adventure guide. It mentions how the NPC's in the area act and abunch of other stuff......makes you wonder why they used it as the text I figure there has to be a reason.

Also not as strange as that one But during a Flashback sequence (I can not remember which episode..I will look through them.. its an eailer one) a lot of Scenes FLASH by Very quickly about Ed Al and their mom, if yuo pause it at the one scene where Ed and AL's mom is hanging the laundry outside...its pritty damn funny.

xDarkMaster
Sun, 04-16-2006, 09:48 PM
Yes, FMA is an awesome show. How far along are you Masa?

@UberSuperHACKER: That might have been a good post if it didn't take so long to figure out what you were saying.

UberSuperHACKER
Mon, 04-17-2006, 01:54 AM
Yes, FMA is an awesome show. How far along are you Masa?

@UberSuperHACKER: That might have been a good post if it didn't take so long to figure out what you were saying.

hah gee thanks... I didn't know how to say it simply tho... that book's text being full of role playing game stuff is ODD.

masamuneehs
Mon, 04-17-2006, 04:40 AM
oh, i'm actually finished! I loved it but haven't gotten around to really posting a full reaction to it just yet.

I noticed some other muck-ups with text, and I'm not sure if it's the subbers' fault (as I presume the original text would all have been in Japanese), but it is mildly funny. I noticed the D&D style book, and some of the pages in Marcoh's journals really don't make any sense. The funniest thing has to be the invoice that Ed leaves for Mustang. I can't find it but it made absolutely zero sense and seemed to involve a recipe for a cake...

Oh, and here's another 'is it a blooper?' thought for you (SPOILER)

When they do the flashback of Ed seeing the Gate (when trying to revive their mother) they flash to all sorts of things: alchemy texts, scenes from their childhood, glimpses of 'the other side of the Gate'. But one of the more interesting things is that at the time of that encounter with 'the truth' Ed sees glimpses of the future! You can clearly see things like Lior, Al inside the armor, early encounters against the Homunculus and more. That suggests to me that either the animators just got lazy and slapped in random pics from the series to fill up space or it implies that there is an 'inescapable destiny' in FMA, that all the events were already planned out according to Fate.

I think it was probably lazy/sloppy animators and editors, but if not it is quite interesting, as any set Fate basically means the existence of a God or some force that controls the flow of Fate. And the characters in FMA very often say that either there is no God or that they are acting against God's wishes/will.

UberSuperHACKER
Mon, 04-17-2006, 05:47 PM
as for the text being the subbers fault..... no... since the text is used as a "texture" in the computer aplication which was used to make the show. I am pritty certian of this since in Scenes The Text actually Bends with the book.

Though subbers have done alot of creative things to the text in the anime they sub I have yet anyone create such a seamless integration of text into one. My guess is either that the adventure was some sort of inspiration for the manga/ anime OR that the animators used it just becuase it looked cool ... and no one would bother to pause it to try to read it... so they just used it as a texture.

For the scenes you mentioned in your spoiler of sorts.. I dont think that was unintentional... since they are not needed for padding (i.e. remove those individual frames.. and the same point is made).... so they must have been used for a reason.

ChaosK
Mon, 04-17-2006, 07:07 PM
an awsome show, i never did watch the movie though, any good?

UberSuperHACKER
Mon, 04-17-2006, 07:54 PM

Movie isn't bad ... isn't great... Definatly worth a watch for the hardcore fan

xDarkMaster
Mon, 04-17-2006, 08:23 PM

You should watch it. Even though it isn't great it gives more closure to the series.

Carnage
Mon, 04-17-2006, 09:57 PM
Something I've been wondering about though, when people die, do they go to the other world beyond the gate? And visa verca for the people on the other side of the gate? It was a little confusing when I first watched it.

dragonrage
Mon, 04-17-2006, 10:01 PM
it was an amazing anime and yea the movie ties up some loose ends. But it also creates a little more. Its is worth watching. Especially if you are a fan of the movie.

UberSuperHACKER
Tue, 04-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Here is the Scene and The Words in the book I was talking about.. oddly enough they both occur in Episode 3:

http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/20/fmabook4bb.jpg
http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/6447/fmapee1rc.jpg

the random inclusion of the Bed Sheets in that Quick flashback sequence seriously made me laugh so hard soda went up my nose.... and that hurt....hah