PDA

View Full Version : New Nintendo Controller Design

Y
Thu, 09-15-2005, 10:53 PM
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143782

Yeah ok.

Phoenix20578
Thu, 09-15-2005, 10:55 PM
ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!!!! Thats no controller! Thats a remote control!

Paulyboy
Thu, 09-15-2005, 10:57 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/Paulxp2k/media.jpg

The Revolution Controller Basics: What The Hell Is It?
The controller for Nintendo's upcoming Revolution home console system is a cordless remote-control-like device designed to be used with only one hand. Two small sensors placed near the TV and a chip inside the controller track its position and orientation, allowing the player to manipulate the action on screen by physically moving the controller itself. For example, you could slash an in-game sword by actually swinging the controller from side to side, turn a race car just by twisting your wrist, or aim your gun in a shooter by pointing the controller where you want to fire.

Edit: WTF! lol Im not into revolution and maybe never, but wtf.

Phoenix20578
Thu, 09-15-2005, 11:00 PM
Good concept, bad design

kooshi
Thu, 09-15-2005, 11:01 PM
Looks retarded, but the idea is good.

Phoenix20578
Thu, 09-15-2005, 11:08 PM
So why has Nintendo decided to brazenly break with tradition and the conventions of every other modern console in creating the Revolution controller? According to Mr. Miyamoto, it was part of a conscious decision to make something simple and straightforward enough to reach out to a new audience. "We want a system that takes advantage of new technology for something that anyone, regardless of age or gender, can pick up and play. [Something with a] gameplay style that people who have never played games can pick up and not be intimidated by. We wanted a controller that somebody's mother will look at and not be afraid of."

BioAlien
Thu, 09-15-2005, 11:11 PM
thats a fake one, it can't be for real! i mean come on! thats a remote control!

Phoenix20578
Thu, 09-15-2005, 11:14 PM
Deny it all you want, this is the i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif future...

kooshi
Thu, 09-15-2005, 11:33 PM
Yeah, it's a very unforunate thing. What's so bad about using the controllers now? ABSOLUTELY nothing.

Nai
Fri, 09-16-2005, 12:24 AM
How about waiting until you've used the controller before you dismiss it as unpractical or uncomfortable?

Nintendo has always been number one when it comes to controllers. Going from the SNES controller to the Wavebird ( which I personally consider the best controller ever made ). I'm sure they would not shoot themself in the foot by creating a really bad controller for their "Revolution."

... I will however concede to the fact that it is ugly as hell. But hey, it's not like the current competiton is much better on the aesthetical side.

mage
Fri, 09-16-2005, 12:26 AM
No.. Just no. I am not going to use a remote control as a game controller.

Itachi_y2k5
Fri, 09-16-2005, 12:37 AM
haha i think it looks cool but i dont think thats the real one...

EDIT: i just read how to use it and that is cool XD

Y
Fri, 09-16-2005, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by: Nai
How about waiting until you've used the controller before you dismiss it as unpractical or uncomfortable?

Nintendo has always been number one when it comes to controllers. Going from the SNES controller to the Wavebird ( which I personally consider the best controller ever made ). I'm sure they would not shoot themself in the foot by creating a really bad controller for their "Revolution."

... I will however concede to the fact that it is ugly as hell. But hey, it's not like the current competiton is much better on the aesthetical side.

The N64 and Gamecube controllers are not better than the Dualshock.

Originally posted by: Itachi_y2k5
haha i think it looks cool but i dont think thats the real one...

Yes, it fucking is.

Raven
Fri, 09-16-2005, 01:01 AM
It's ... unique, I'll give 'em that. I'd like to try it out before I make any assumptions or conclusions.

*Edit - The more I read about it, the more I like it. So much potential when you think about it. FPS games will let you aim to shoot, sport games like tennis/baseball etc will allow you to actually swing, Star Wars games with the lightsabers, the possibilities go on and on.

Trust Nintendo to come up with something so utterly "WTF!" and cool at the same time.

Itachi_y2k5
Fri, 09-16-2005, 01:17 AM
http://img.gamespot.com/gamesp...n/revcon_screen004.jpg (http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2005/hardware/previews/revcon/revcon_screen004.jpg)
http://img.gamespot.com/gamesp...n/revcon_screen002.jpg (http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2005/hardware/previews/revcon/revcon_screen002.jpg)
http://img.gamespot.com/gamesp...n/revcon_screen005.jpg (http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2005/hardware/previews/revcon/revcon_screen005.jpg)
shots i stole from another forum i go to

Y
Fri, 09-16-2005, 02:07 AM
i/expressions/rolleye.gif Those are the same shots from my link in the first post. Thanks.

Zhan
Fri, 09-16-2005, 03:25 AM
Don't really understand how you would play a game similar to like...Devil May Cry or something

Assertn
Fri, 09-16-2005, 03:29 AM
bah, people are close-minded

i'd give it a shot. Personally, video games in general are getting kinda redundant for me

BioAlien
Fri, 09-16-2005, 05:43 AM
this must be a nightmare or something (please wake me up!)

how are you supose to play with a remote control? i mean ya nintendo are like #1 in game controller but come on! thats a remote control!, i just wish they will make a 'normal' gamepad too

Shuurai
Fri, 09-16-2005, 05:48 AM
Nintendo are going under...

LobsterMagnet
Fri, 09-16-2005, 06:36 AM
This has got to be the last nail in nintendo's coffin. In the next five years look forward to seeing your future marios and zeldas on the xbox 360 and PS3's. I cannot beleive my absolute disgust when I actually saw the prototype. Yeah you heard me right apparently this is supposed to be a prototype so the design isn't final but this is the direction ninendo is moving in. Seems like device that's desighed for fricking housemoms so they can play solitare between their soapoperas. I can't even imagin how that controller would function for traditional gameplay or how third parties would port over thier games to the revolution. Someone needs to be shot I'm not quite sure who but there is no way this is going to the increadible counter for the sheer processing power of the PS3 or the built in online structure of the xbox 360. Worst yet nintendo still dosen't have any games to show how revolutionary this controller is. Maybe I wouldn't be pissed if their was some sort of nice shiny new mario demo to accompany the controllers deput but alas there is none.

Raven
Fri, 09-16-2005, 06:43 AM
Seriously, some of you guys need to stop condemning it before we've seen what it can do. Can't hurt to give it a chance. At least they've attempted to do something original and innovative rather than the same old boring, rehashed ideas.

I dunno, seems to me that everything Sony and Microsoft have done for the new generation is utterly predictable and somewhat boring. This is what I love about Nintendo, their ability to shock us after all these years.

The absolute last thing you should do is say "ZOMG IT'S JUST A REMOTE CONTROL! NEVER LOOKING AT IT AGAIN!!!!11!1" Not smart.

LobsterMagnet
Fri, 09-16-2005, 06:50 AM
But it's so counter intuitive. It just looks so dumb and oversimplified like one of those plug and play games you'd buy at walmart or target for a discounted price. Honestly only way I'm going to be impressed is when I see some software that truly shows what the revolution is all about. Then again considering that ninendo is so damn slow when it comes to producing new software that's probably going to be a long ass time. Well for now forget about new software how the hell would you play the games of today on the damn thing? Honestly can you imagine how you'd play super smash brother or zelda with that thing?

Turkish-S
Fri, 09-16-2005, 08:09 AM
the shooter thing would be fun.
i hope they will do a normal controler too. then i wouldn't mind but if this is the only one it would be shit.

AngelEyez
Fri, 09-16-2005, 08:43 AM
Nice concept, wonder how well it will do when launched.

XwingRob
Fri, 09-16-2005, 08:50 AM
I'll try it before I condemn it. But wow... I definately wasn't expecting this.

Itachi_y2k5
Fri, 09-16-2005, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by: Y
Those are the same shots from my link in the first post. Thanks.

oh sorry... my computer didnt show them to me :S

Uberbaka
Fri, 09-16-2005, 09:49 AM
Ok, have you guys even read about this thing? It work's by aiming it around the screen.. Metroid will rule so hard when you actually get a aiming device light a light gun (except it directly moves the screen) and the nunchuch addition makes other kinds of games work.

I mean imagine playing zelda and slashing with teh sword by rotating your wrist.. It could be kinda cool, I definately have to try this out before I start badmouthing it like most of you guys are doing.

I've read like 2-3 reviews of people who have tried it says it works great.

Ever tried playing Goldeneye with 2xnintendo 64 controllers? It ruled, this will be even better because of the pointy thingy dingy. =P

And if you're going to be negative to it, do it with real reason and arguments. just "it's a remote, wtf help me!" Isn't interesting or a valid point.

Just because it doesn't look like the dual shock doesn't mean it sucks.

nests
Fri, 09-16-2005, 10:02 AM
A bit dissapointed when I first saw it but after whatching this video it got me a bit interesting again
Click for video (http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651334p1.html)

Assertn
Fri, 09-16-2005, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by: LobsterMagnet
But it's so counter intuitive. It just looks so dumb and oversimplified like one of those plug and play games you'd buy at walmart or target for a discounted price. Honestly only way I'm going to be impressed is when I see some software that truly shows what the revolution is all about. Then again considering that ninendo is so damn slow when it comes to producing new software that's probably going to be a long ass time. Well for now forget about new software how the hell would you play the games of today on the damn thing? Honestly can you imagine how you'd play super smash brother or zelda with that thing?

on the contrary....i believe the intent of the design was to be MORE intuitive than the typical controller
of course we're all used to the controller scheme because we've grown up with it...but just because something is DIFFERENT doesnt make it inferior. It's just an alternative form of interactivity that has been made available to us with newer advances in technology. Maybe the world would have felt at home with this controller type if the technology for it existed back in the NES days, rather than slapping a D-pad and 2 buttons on a box and ship it with mario bros/duckhunt. People have to realize that the FIRST approach isn't always the BEST approach.

I agree with the fear that smash bros, mario kart, and mario tennis may never be the same....but we really won't know if its for better or worse until we try it. Supposedly metroid prime benefits alot from this transition, maybe they will too.

Besides, this is all the more reason to own two consoles now.

masamuneehs
Fri, 09-16-2005, 12:53 PM
Oh Nintendo, you used to be one of my favorites! My first console was a Super Nintendo!

So sad... I don't think I could ever use that dildoesque controller

ChaosK
Fri, 09-16-2005, 04:24 PM
because i havent used it yet i cant judge it yet but the idea looks like a good one, its just the design turned out to be bad. i mean, i remember nintendo also makes multiplayer games, so in lets say, super smash bros. how would you fight each other? slam the controllers into each other? its a good idea, just a bit too closed up, theres no open possibilities, i say it is a good idea for single player/rpg but a bad idea for what nintendo mostly is, multiplayer games.

Itachi_y2k5
Fri, 09-16-2005, 05:11 PM
haha that video is funny what does the analogue stick acctually do ?

Uberbaka
Fri, 09-16-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by: Itachi_y2k5
haha that video is funny what does the analogue stick acctually do ?

In a fps the analogue stick would move you and you'd use the other "thing" to aim.. Kind of like a mouse and keyboard mix for pcs.

PSJ
Fri, 09-16-2005, 06:56 PM
At first it looked stupid but after reading about it it seemed to work fine, would love to try it out.

You shouldn't really complain about it before you have tried it out, sure it looks like a normal remote but they way it works sounds interesting.

Assertn
Fri, 09-16-2005, 07:39 PM
OBVIOUSLY they wouldn't use this design if they weren't positive that they could pull it off
also, considering that smash bros is one of their opening releases...i'm sure they'll have it pretty much figured out

Raven
Fri, 09-16-2005, 08:02 PM
Exactly, Assertn. They know what they're doing, I'm sure. They're not idiots.

Like he said, just because something is different from what we're used to, don't be so quick to automatically dismiss it. Sure, it might be hard to imagine how certain games will be played but that's where the designers step in.

Deblas
Fri, 09-16-2005, 08:45 PM
A remote. Well its umm....different. I'll have to test it out myself to see if its shit or not.

BioAlien
Fri, 09-16-2005, 11:06 PM
if you have to play like in the video... i would prefer to die...

but it still look great, even if its look like a remote control

do you guys think you can just swing your sword (like in zelda) the way you want?, like if you go realy fast, link sword (in the game) will go fast too?
have to wait for 2006 to know more...

but how are we gonna play game like Super Smash bros...

nests
Sat, 09-17-2005, 12:53 AM
Ok after seeing this I am defently going to buy the revolution
looks like I can keep playing zelda games just lilke the old fashion way
Its only a mock up by IGN but it has been confirmed that an attachment like this will be available
Click here (http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/651/651559/img_3077147.html)

Coriandria
Sat, 09-17-2005, 01:26 AM
Oh thank you lord it connects to a regular style controller. I was so worried that Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot. I'm not against the design idea and creativity but as a business stand point there are 2 HUGE flaws with the remote control controller.

1) The limited amount of 3rd party games Nintendo was already getting would dramatically reduce. I'm friends with a lot of game programmers and they complain enough about getting the code to work on all three gaming consoles. But with a controller so different, this annoyance would become a serious pain if not impossible in some programmers eyes. I mean code and game play design would have to be drastically changed in some cases. This would kill 3rd party interest when PS2 and XBox are already more successful systems for them.

2) Though the actors may have done a good job in that video to make game play look fun one thing was screaming in my head as I watched "Carpoltunnel/tendinitis" (However those things are spelled I know I spelled them badly). When I worked in data entry they told us to avoid lots of repetative wrist movement when using the mouse especially. It was all about keeping your wrist straight and moving the mouse with your arm. This control set up is BEGGING for lots of repetative wrist movement. Carpoltunnel/tendinitis is already a problem for hardcore gamers. I'm not an expert but from what I know this set up is 10 times worse for that. I'd be very concerned about over playing with it.

But if there is a regular controller with this than this will be a repeat of the powerglove. A few novelty games will be made for it. A hand ful of us will get them. And 20 years from now, we will think ourselves super cool for wearing a t-shirt with the old remote control controller on it.

BioAlien
Sat, 09-17-2005, 01:39 AM
now thats more like it, at least if its true thats will be good, a good old gamecube controller mix with a strange remote control controller!

Turkish-S
Sat, 09-17-2005, 02:02 AM
whow that thing seems heavy.

Itachi_y2k5
Sat, 09-17-2005, 02:09 AM
wow... thats cool it looks like chunky though

Uberbaka
Sat, 09-17-2005, 07:12 AM
Hehehe... I can't wait to play a fighting game with it and do a finishing move which involves throwing my controller across the room =P

Tinks
Sat, 09-17-2005, 01:56 PM
About what was said earlier, nothing is more comfortable than the Dreamcast controller, and its vmu abilities were so good
Personally I'm glad they're going with the controller like this, it'll bring some originality into videogames which is in a SERIOUS lack in recent years

Mite Gai
Wed, 09-21-2005, 09:17 PM
This controller is a humongous letdown compared to the supposedly revolutionary controller Nintendo boasted of, this looks good on paper, but based on the footage and how it looks so stupid, videogames are going to get harder to play not easier with this thing. Any chance Nintendo had of me buying the Revolution was just destroyed. Though I will steal a friend's Revolution and try it on that before I 100% condemn the console to death.

Assertn
Thu, 09-22-2005, 01:00 AM
it shouldn't be any surprise that there's a gamecube controllyer-style attachment for the remote.......
they've already announced long ago that gamecube games will be playable on the revolution

@Coriandria: ohnoes, code and game design will have to be changed? I'm pretty sure they were HOPING for that when they decided to actually go with something new and refreshing. It's backwards compatible with gamecube, so if developers really don't want to be innovative, then they can release gamecube games. Also, you don't have to move your wrist to move that remote.....its like the gyro mice, you're supposed to just move your whole arm.

Why are all you guys complaining anyway? you were probably planning to stick with the PS3 regardless, and therefore aren't part of nintendo's target demographic.

Uberbaka
Thu, 09-22-2005, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by: AssertnFailure
it shouldn't be any surprise that there's a gamecube controllyer-style attachment for the remote.......
they've already announced long ago that gamecube games will be playable on the revolution

Yeah, I read a rumour that you'll be able to attach bongos and stuff like that... So i'm guessing that there'll be a standard GC port at the bottom of the remote. Perfect backwards compatability.

This could be fun! =D

RedX1z
Sun, 09-25-2005, 06:41 PM
best thing to say is give it a shot. to me, nintendo hasn't let me down so far..

dark maginn
Sun, 09-25-2005, 09:18 PM
i think the controller look cool

milfhunter
Mon, 09-26-2005, 11:41 AM
If game developers don't take advantage of this revolutionary controller and create new experiences for their own sake, then it goes to show that the industry really is becoming stagnant if it isn't stagnant already. I'm counting on Nintendo's first-party divisions to go to war with Sony's "integrated facilities" and stimulate a truly "next-generation" gaming world. I'm counting on Retro Studios to revolutionize the FPS genre on consoles with Metroid Prime 3. I'm looking forward to the next Mario game. This controller is going to reach nearly all audiences.

Assertn
Mon, 09-26-2005, 01:56 PM
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3144079

i havent been this excited to play a system since the Mario 64 days i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif

BioAlien
Mon, 09-26-2005, 05:33 PM
are we supose to whatch the video to be "excited" like you?

Assertn
Tue, 09-27-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by: BioAlien
are we supose to whatch the video to be "excited" like you?

you can get excited over in the corner with your hand and DOA beach volleyball for all i care