PDA

View Full Version : For those who've gotten shit on.

ChaosK
Fri, 09-09-2005, 01:21 PM
yeah, i just broke my leg so now i'm sitting lying in bed with my laptop here and i just put this thread here so anybody who's broken something or gotten hurt can come here to bitch about it. if you dont like this thread then FUCK YOU! okay, now another thing, does anybody know how long i have to be in this damn cast? the doctors wont tell me shit, they just say "uhh, it has to stay on until your legs healed..." NO FUCKIN SHIT! so if anybody's broken a leg, just give me some advice, and if you can, give me an estimate on how long i have to be here. and if you have somethign broken right now, come here to tell your story.

Foomanchew24
Fri, 09-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Depends on how bad you broke it but the healing time for most bones I believe is 4-6 weeks, so sit back and enjoy the healing process.

PSJ
Normally a broken bone heals in 6-8 weeks, can take longer if the injury is more serious, for example if the bone is totally broken of it will probably take longer but if it is broken like through half it should only take 6-8 weeks.

Turkish-S
tell us how you got that broken leg??

ChaosK
Fri, 09-09-2005, 01:39 PM
my bad, its not a broken leg (i didnt know i said that up there) its a broken ankle (im hoping that will shorten the time i'm in a cast)

and i broke it while playing basketball. landed on the side of my ankle and "CRACK!"...the rest is all straight foward.

Aramis
Fri, 09-09-2005, 01:42 PM
hmm, only time my bones have broken was when i was like 7 yrs old, my older cousin was riding a bicycle with me sitting on the back, he was steering like mad and my ankle went between the spokes at full speed, and apparently they were stronger than my foot was. twisted it so hard that a bone cracked. hurt like hell. healed in 3-4 weeks.

XanBcoo
Fri, 09-09-2005, 01:45 PM
0.0 yikes, these stories are making me cringe. I've never broken anything.

Phoenix20578
Fri, 09-09-2005, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by: Chaoskiddo
my bad, its not a broken leg (i didnt know i said that up there) its a broken ankle (im hoping that will shorten the time i'm in a cast)

and i broke it while playing basketball. landed on the side of my ankle and "CRACK!"...the rest is all straight foward.

Not good. That happened to my friend. It was supposed to heal in one to two months, then he was supposed lay off it for another two months. Unfortunitly, he does Taekwondo with me. He came back to practice to soon and screwed it up again. Chaos, lay off the hard leg labor or you won't heal up for an entire year and a half.

ChaosK
Fri, 09-09-2005, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by: Phoenix20578
Not good. That happened to my friend. It was supposed to heal in one to two months, then he was supposed lay off it for another two months. Unfortunitly, he does Taekwondo with me. He came back to practice to soon and screwed it up again. Chaos, lay off the hard leg labor or you won't heal up for an entire year and a half.

Originally posted by: Aramis
hmm, only time my bones have broken was when i was like 7 yrs old, my older cousin was riding a bicycle with me sitting on the back, he was steering like mad and my ankle went between the spokes at full speed, and apparently they were stronger than my foot was. twisted it so hard that a bone cracked. hurt like hell. healed in 3-4 weeks.

this is quite odd, on one hand, aramis is telling his story from personal point of view and said 3-4 weeks (about a month)

but on the other hand phoenix said his friend was supposed to heal in 2-3 months. but this is from a spectator's point of view. and dont worry i'm not going to be an idiot (no offense to your friend) and start lifting weights with my ankle or something. i know i gotta rest it.

Phoenix20578
Fri, 09-09-2005, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by: Aramis

My friend was an idiot. Hence he had a broken (or otherwise fucked up) ankle for over a year. But, unlike Aramis, he was 23 and obsesive when it comes to training.

Turkish-S
Fri, 09-09-2005, 02:02 PM
yep age is vry important. i also never broke anything exept for 2 teeth.

dark maginn
Fri, 09-09-2005, 02:27 PM
i broken my thumb my ankle and wrist lol my ankle took about a month or two

Honoko
Fri, 09-09-2005, 02:39 PM
my brother broke his ankle a few years back... it was a spiral fracture and it took a while to heal. he had to get surgery where they put steel bits around the bone to make it heal properly and all that. from breaking to full recovery for him took at least half a year. did the doctors take xrays of your break yet? if not, then it's understandable that they coudln't give you a proper timetable for that right away.

ChaosK
Fri, 09-09-2005, 02:43 PM
yeah they took xrays, thats how they knew it was broken. my break isnt as severe as your brother's was (as surgery isnt needed) but i was just wondering how inconvient this will be.

Honoko
Fri, 09-09-2005, 03:10 PM
then in that case, it's still inconvinient. when you shower you have to keep the cast dry so there's this whole ritual of wrapping some huge plastic bag and taping it shut before you even think about going near water. plus it might best to put a plastic chair in the tub or stall or something so u could sit while you clean yourself =P that, and the hobbling around..... you're in for at least a month of inconvinience. sorry.

PSJ
Fri, 09-09-2005, 05:29 PM
Broken ancle huh? Can be a good thing or a bad thing(if you compare with a broken leg) Ancle injuries can be really serious, ask your doctor how long it will take to heal.

I accidently made a guy break is ancle in a game, shoved him when he was in the air and he landed like you did.

Personal experiences with injuries, well my body is totally fucked up, my hipbone is out of position and has been for a longer time which gave me backproblems just got that fixed, still a bit sore in my back. I got flat feet so i need a thing in my shoes to correct that, need to make new ones every year and forgot about it this year so my feet hurt quite a bit every now and then, hoping to get an appointment for fixing it. My spine is crooked to, like an S shape, its not very much and doesn't hurt but it is fucking annoying, makes my stomach and chest muscles look diffrent in size.

Chaos, i hope your broken ancle heals quick.

ChaosK
Fri, 09-09-2005, 07:12 PM
lol PSJ after a rap about your body like that, i think my ankle's healign already.

honoko thanks, i broke it yesterday so i already took a shower once and already used both mentioned. a big plastic bag, and a plastic shower seat.

PSJ
Fri, 09-09-2005, 07:31 PM
It sounds worse than it is, i've learned how to live with it. Without that shit i'd be perfect anyway and we can't have a perfect human running around i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Board of Command
Fri, 09-09-2005, 09:05 PM

I've done that once in basketball as well, but only a sprain. One day of taping and it was pretty much healed. Only thing is I don't think it ever healed to 100%, because my left foot gets very tired and sore from intense activities.

ChaosK
Fri, 09-09-2005, 09:21 PM
hahaha, ironiclly my right foot is extremely tired because im hoping on it the whole time.

Paulyboy
Fri, 09-09-2005, 11:24 PM
Watch out though, when your in the healing process, sometimes your ankle might heal the wrong way, and yes its a true fact. My friend broke his ankle also, then I guess 2 weeks after, like parts of his bones weren't healing the right way. Its sick.

XanBcoo
Fri, 09-09-2005, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by: PSJ
My spine is crooked to, like an S shape, its not very much and doesn't hurt but it is fucking annoying, makes my stomach and chest muscles look diffrent in size.

My dad has that. It sounds really similar. If it's the same thing then you might be in for a lot of pain in your older years.

And Chaos, good luck w/the plasitc bags and tape. When I was in a cast (not for a break or anything though), I bought myself this plastic bag-thing made for taking a shower w/a cast. It was cool. A little more weildy than a trashbag too.

KitKat
Sat, 09-10-2005, 12:14 AM
Well, I think I told this story back when I first joined the forum, but probably only a few of you remember. I actually only have 9 fingers. When I was two years old I got my left pinky finger stuck in a piece of farm machinery which my brother subsequently turned on (he was only 4 at the time....we weren't supposed to be playing near the machinery). So that was the end of my finger. It was so badly mangled that they didn't have a hope of reattaching it. Instead, they took out the rest of the bone, so imagine a cartoon character hand, and that's me. No one notices really. I use it as a party trick when people get drunk, they get so confused at how I can make one of my fingers disappear, it's great fun.

dark maginn
Sat, 09-10-2005, 12:26 AM
cool kitkat wish i have one but dont want my finger cut off

XanBcoo
Sat, 09-10-2005, 01:50 AM
lol, for a second I thought you meant that you had 9 fingers...on one hand

I must be more tired than I thought.

Terracosmo
Sat, 09-10-2005, 03:41 AM
I broke my right leg once, I was 4 years old, ran into the shower, slipped and did a half spin and hit the wall. 5 points!

ChiaCheese
Sat, 09-10-2005, 04:35 AM
i broke (fractured) my left cheek bone after being attacked by a dog that was half pitbull half rotweiler (sp?). it sucked. my face was all swollen and i had what looked like a black eye for like 2 months before it went away.

PSJ
Sat, 09-10-2005, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by: xanbcoo

Originally posted by: PSJ
My spine is crooked to, like an S shape, its not very much and doesn't hurt but it is fucking annoying, makes my stomach and chest muscles look diffrent in size.

My dad has that. It sounds really similar. If it's the same thing then you might be in for a lot of pain in your older years.

And Chaos, good luck w/the plasitc bags and tape. When I was in a cast (not for a break or anything though), I bought myself this plastic bag-thing made for taking a shower w/a cast. It was cool. A little more weildy than a trashbag too.

Damn that sounds bad, i'll have to remember to kick my spine's ass once it starts to give me pains.

dark maginn
Sat, 09-10-2005, 10:54 AM
when i was 10 i pushed my brother down the stairs and broked his thumb

woofcat
Sat, 09-10-2005, 11:50 AM
My buddie fractured 2 vertebra and broke is collar bone also he brused his kidney all in one fall. The spine took about 2 weeks before it did not hurt like a mother fucker and one night he rebroke his collar bone from moveing it the wrong way and it took him around a month to heal that up.

dark maginn
Sat, 09-10-2005, 01:16 PM
wow he broke all this in one fall damn that got to hurt

ChaosK
Sat, 09-10-2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by: KitKat
Well, I think I told this story back when I first joined the forum, but probably only a few of you remember. I actually only have 9 fingers. When I was two years old I got my left pinky finger stuck in a piece of farm machinery which my brother subsequently turned on (he was only 4 at the time....we weren't supposed to be playing near the machinery). So that was the end of my finger. It was so badly mangled that they didn't have a hope of reattaching it. Instead, they took out the rest of the bone, so imagine a cartoon character hand, and that's me. No one notices really. I use it as a party trick when people get drunk, they get so confused at how I can make one of my fingers disappear, it's great fun.

lol ironicly i know somebody with 6 fingers on each hand, he'd be happy to lend you one. (well technically he has like 5½ because when he was born they tried to use surgery to cut the extra off, but it grows back.)

Board of Command
Sat, 09-10-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by: dark maginn
You need counseling. ASAP!

dark maginn
Sat, 09-10-2005, 05:40 PM
it was an accident lol

ChaosK
Sat, 09-10-2005, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by: BOARD_of_command

Originally posted by: dark maginn
You need counseling. ASAP!

lol i have a friend who broke his sister's pinkie because he closed the door when her hand was in that little gap the door makes when you open it (Between the hinges and the door)

Zinobi
Sun, 09-11-2005, 04:56 AM
do major cuts and gouges(iono how its spelt) count for anything?
i so i had a hole half way through my leg and and curb smashed my knee then i have scars that i dont know bout i think my parents r hiding something from me

lilphatboi88
Sun, 09-11-2005, 05:18 AM
Last June, I got a 3rd degree sprain on my right ankle. The doctor said 5-6 weeks to recover. But I started playing the next week. I also climbed the Great Wall of China with it. Well now, it appears that I have acquilles tendonitis now. It's been over 3 months now....so rest it up good.

Cal_kashi
Sun, 09-11-2005, 08:10 AM
Shit where do I start? college has been bad to me =(

First I broke my wrist .. in a Mtb crash jan 03

Then I broke my back in a MTB race at Northstar 9/03

Then I broke a rib during an intense ride with my dad in 12/03

Then I spent the entire spring semester 2/04 - 6/04 with a super strain of Strep throat, every round of antibiotics didn't kill it, eventually it put me in the hospital w/ a fever of 104.5, they had to start giving me intraveinous injections of antibiotics and steroids to get the swelling in my throat down (so i could start breathing regularly again), and Dilaudid (wich is 8 times more powerful than morphine and twice as potent as heroin) to deal with the pain.

Then in 10/04 I shattered my right foot on the way to the EECS (electrical engineering-Computer Science) FPGA (field Proghrammable Gata Array) lab; avoiding getting hit by a car. I ruined the 2nd and 3rd metatarsals and needed surgery to find all the pieces of bone and pin them back together. I currently have 2 screws in my right foot. I had to spend 2 wks in a wheelchair in emmense pain and 2 months on crutches, all the while not falling behind in my work, because at Berkeley, thats unacceptable.

And the Icing on the cake is I found out earlier this week that my hearing has degradded 5 dB! in the last 4 years from a 65 db hearing loss, to a 70 DB hearing loss, ... any other engineers can appreciate what this really means since a DB is 10 log [base 10] [p1 / P ref].. or on a bode chart 20 log P1/P2. I now have nearly a profound hearing loss.

But I only got 6 classes left at Berkeley and I'm out. its been Hell.

P.S. ... sorry for the long rant....
P.S.S Im a 5th year eecs, an impossibility in my program... ie I am the ONLY 5th year eecs.

Ryllharu
Sun, 09-11-2005, 08:23 AM
All I can say to that Cal_kashi is wow. The best I've done is been impaled by rusty screws after I fell off a wooden swing, I'd actually say I was fortunate because the scars are very high up the inside of my thigh. Pretty nasty looking ones for a while too.

Once I tripped into a woodpile while it was dark out and busted my lip open for probably an hour and a half. I used half a paper towel roll to get it to stop.

I never seemed to break anything, I just get cuts all the time.

Other than those two, its just the standard cuts and abrasions, flipped over the handlebars of my bike when I was six, lots of abrasions on that one, and I still carry a lot of those scars. The criss-crossing scars from cardboard papercuts I got from working at a packing warehouse for a while (though they kinda faded recently).

I did smash my finger in the door just two days ago though, nothing really serious. But with those kinds of injuries, I think Cal wins the prize.

Cal_kashi
Sun, 09-11-2005, 08:31 AM
I wanted to add, that when I broke my back, I DIDN"T CRASH !!!! It was the second day of racing at northstar and the event was a Mass Start Hill CLimb Time Trial... Meaning that 50 of us racers all converged 1000 vertical ft below that base of Northstar and then the official shot off thge starting gun, we took off. The first person to the peak wins ( 8,610 ft ). It was a 7.5 mi 3,800 vertical foot gain race. With about 150 yards to go ( and in 3rd position), my back kinda snapped.

I had broken my racing bike the previous day because of a manufacturer defect and was on a spare bike that day that I wasn't as used to. apparently I had WAY over exerted myself in a way and position that my lower back wasn't used to and snapped a muscle in my lower back and broke off little end parts of a vertibrae.

At the moment of the incedent My upper body collapsed and I fell off the bike. I back became unable to support my upper body wieght and I had to be helped down to the mountain base my a teammate. I spent teh next 3 days at so much pain that I couldn't lie down or stand. so I sat in my desk and worked on a CS project.

ChaosK
Sun, 09-11-2005, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by: Zinobi
do major cuts and gouges(iono how its spelt) count for anything?
i so i had a hole half way through my leg and and curb smashed my knee then i have scars that i dont know bout i think my parents r hiding something from me

lol, sure that counts i guess.

lilphatboi88 thanks, all you people talking about "what will happen if i dont rest it" scared me enough to rest it.

cal_kashi, stay away from traffic.

and i want you guys to keep in mind this isnt a competition, just cuz you've broken everything known to man doesnt mean your cool.

(i say this because i'm guessing some things in here might be a bit exagerated)

complich8
Sun, 09-11-2005, 05:22 PM
I sprained my ankle really really badly when I was in like 2nd grade (going for a high jump in gym class, didn't get my feet quite high enough, got tangled up on the bar). Some bone fracturing happened. It was no good. I spent like 6 weeks on crutches and wrapped in ace bandages, but it wasn't enough to need an actual cast. So I took showers standing on one foot hanging off the shower curtain rod or the windowsill. Hilarity I tell ya.

Then I stress fractured a metatarsal my sophomore year in college (that'd be about spring of 2000). Spent 4 weeks in the BFB (big frigging boot) while that one healed up, and it took me about a year of normal use to rebuild the muscle tone to what it was.

ChaosK
Sun, 09-11-2005, 07:55 PM
hehehe (at your shower adventure) i'm luckier that my school doesnt trust us to have crutches and will supply us with a wheel chair or something (apprarently crtuches are classified as dangerous weapons, yet we have knives in our dorm..hmm....) so i'll be on a wheel chair in school, if anybody's been on crutches you should remember h ow fucking tiring it is to just walk 100 feet.

dark maginn
Sun, 09-11-2005, 09:03 PM
Ya i know man but i was lucky to be on wheel chair i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

complich8
Mon, 09-12-2005, 02:25 AM
I loved being on crutches, 'cause if you learn how to use them (and assuming you're using a pair of them) you become a fast-moving tripod. Swing leg forward, swing crutches forward. It's like having legs as long as your entire body ... I was making the mile walk home in about 7 minutes, versus the normal 13ish on foot.

Of course, I was like 8 at the time, and didn't weigh nearly as much as I do now (growing 2 and a half feet does that to ya). Maybe it'd be harder now :-p

ChaosK
Mon, 09-12-2005, 04:44 PM
i was just about to so "holy shit" how did you walk that fast? it takes me like a minute just to get from my school to its parking lot into my friends car.

Cal_kashi
Tue, 09-13-2005, 03:30 AM
The things that I remember about crutches were that for a few days after the first day i had to use em, my upper body just felt ruined, and the swinging of my foot as i walked forced enough of a blood flow to my foot that it was almost intollerable for teh first 3 wks out of a wheelchair.

Jaredster
Tue, 09-13-2005, 04:36 AM
split the bone in my finger once, that's about it.

ChaosK
Tue, 09-13-2005, 05:11 PM
ewww, what do you mean thats it? if you like dislocated your finger thats kinda a big deal.

SK
Tue, 09-13-2005, 06:22 PM
Man I broke my finger in the first game of the year, but I still took down their halfback. X-Rays tommorow for me.

~1~

Strider
Wed, 09-14-2005, 07:13 AM
yeah, i just broke my leg so now i'm sitting lying in bed with my laptop here and i just put this thread here so anybody who's broken something or gotten hurt can come here to bitch about it. if you dont like this thread then FUCK YOU! okay, now another thing, does anybody know how long i have to be in this damn cast? the doctors wont tell me shit, they just say "uhh, it has to stay on until your legs healed..." NO FUCKIN SHIT! so if anybody's broken a leg, just give me some advice, and if you can, give me an estimate on how long i have to be here. and if you have somethign broken right now, come here to tell your story.

I have had a number of injuries in my past, as it seems I simply became accident prone for a period. I've broken my right ankle three and a half times, though. A half? Yes, I'll explain.

The first time, I was only ten. I was playing in a soccer game, and my ankle rolled off the top of the ball in an attempt to fake out the opponent, at the same time that another opposing player was sliding for a steal and kicked my ankle. The whole experience was painful, to say the least. I don't remember how long I had the cast, but I remember becoming real handy with those crutches! The whole recovery was about two months.

Second time was exactly like others, playing basketball. Everyone wanted to be like Mike in those days, and in my ascension for the rim at eleven (hoop dreams), I forgot about the whole coming down part. Landed wrong. End of that story. I became flat footed after this incident.

/off-topic

Another old friend was playing basketball once, and as he was going up, someone bumped him and this kid did like a cartwheel tumble in mid-air and landed on his shoulder, which dislocated his arm and broke at the elbow. That shit was disgusting.

/end off-topic

The third time was back in New York (first two incidents were while living in Florida). A friend and I were riding bikes, with traffic. It was late August of '96. I was in front, and he was closely trailing. I guess a car got too close to him and gave him a scare. So, in his panic, he veered towards me and his front wheel collided with my back, which caused me to lose control. I honestly do not remember the exact catastrophic events the followed, but it resulted in me under my bike against a parked car, and the all-too-familiar feeling at my ankle.

The halfie was when I was too anxious to get back to playing outdoors with friends, after the second break. I guess I didn't allow too much time after the cast was removed, and sprained it badly. My foot wasn't limp or anything, so I know it wasn't a break. But, with the excruciating pain, I know it had to be a bad sprain. I say halfie since I didn't tell my mother. She would have KILLED me to have messed my foot up again, after the insane medical bill. So, I kept it to myself. I rode my bicycle to school everyday and back, so I pedalled with one foot. I was eleven or twelve, and at that time, all our classes were in one room so I didn't have to be very mobile to fake a lot. I'd go home, and sit on the floor playing with G.I. Joes all day. Smile whenever my mother came around, and that was that. Stupid of me to do, but I'm still alive.

Enjoy your video games while you're bed ridden. The time will pass before you know it. Rock those RPGs you put aside, or Master those Materia you put off all those months ago.

Cal_kashi
Wed, 09-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Damn Strider, I can't possibly imagine the pain of breaking the same thing repeatedly. Various things, sucks but is tolerable, but the same thing? In all my experience the repeatedly hurt areas seems to hurt more each time.

ChaosK
Wed, 09-14-2005, 03:47 PM
at some point in almost everybody's life, they'll hurt their ankle.

kooshi
Wed, 09-14-2005, 03:53 PM
Well, for me, I sprained my ankle a lot of times during elementary and high school. Since I played a lot of soccer during that time, I ended up spraining my ankle every two to three months. It wasn't usually serious, but hell, it always hurt so much and happened quite often.

SK
Wed, 09-14-2005, 06:37 PM
My boy Ronell got into a fight and the kid pulled out a knive and slashed his ear and from the neck down to his chest.

~1~

ChaosK
Wed, 09-14-2005, 06:53 PM
what the fuck? neck to chest? how big was this damn knife?

SK
Thu, 09-15-2005, 05:03 AM
I think it was just a normal switchblade, lots of kids carry one around here. Nasty scar, but the one on his ear is worse. What's bull is there were people around watching the fight and didn't do anything when the kid pulled out a knive. (I was still in Florida when this happened.) My boy got lucky though, another kid at my school got stabbed and died last year.

~1~

Rhanfahl
Thu, 09-15-2005, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by: SK
I think it was just a normal switchblade, lots of kids carry one around here. Nasty scar, but the one on his ear is worse. What's bull is there were people around watching the fight and didn't do anything when the kid pulled out a knive. (I was still in Florida when this happened.) My boy got lucky though, another kid at my school got stabbed and died last year.

~1~

Oh my God, that's awful! Why the hell do people do that kind of shit? Where do you go to school?

kooshi
Thu, 09-15-2005, 11:44 PM
Goes to show you how kids these days are spoiled brats. Most of them don't deserve all the stuff they get and such. The only thing that pleases me about them is how they're gonna be disappointed when they grow up and have reality beat their ass to the ground.

SK
Fri, 09-16-2005, 05:24 PM
Actually most kids at my school don't have shit, that's why they turn to gangs and selling drugs.

I just got back from the hospital, I fractured my arm and my pinky finger. Tendons are sheared and my ligament may also be messed up, need to see an orthopedist and might need a CAT scan. Basically out for the rest of the year methinks.

~1~

Cal_kashi
Sat, 09-17-2005, 08:23 PM
Sorry to hear it, if u have sheared tendons and ligaments you're fucked.

ChaosK
Sat, 09-17-2005, 10:29 PM
oh great, i'm fucked.

SK
Mon, 09-19-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by: Cal_kashi
Sorry to hear it, if u have sheared tendons and ligaments you're fucked.

No health insurance too, lolz.

~1~