PDA

View Full Version : Disturbingly Real Kunai

joshd
Thu, 09-08-2005, 11:41 PM
I was in China a couple of weeks ago and I found this Kunai at a toy market in Bejing. When you hold it in your hand the thing is scary. I can't believe they were selling it to children.

It's made of solid metal, it weighs about 1lb, it's 10" long, and it just feels like a real weapon. I mean it's weighted to be thrown. Even unsharpened as it is, with the tip blunted I think it could seriously injure someone. I bought it of course. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b350/jjoshdd/kunai.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b350/jjoshdd/toy1.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b350/jjoshdd/toy2.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b350/jjoshdd/toy3.jpg

Jadugar
Thu, 09-08-2005, 11:48 PM
How did u get pass through the customs? I thought you were not allowed to bring sharp and metal objects.

XanBcoo
Thu, 09-08-2005, 11:51 PM
Japan is training it's youth for battle with toys like these 0.0

...I want one!!!

joshd
Thu, 09-08-2005, 11:52 PM
That's just if you're carrying it on the plane. Security don't care if you carry a knife in your luggage, and Customs checks for things that are illegal, like drugs and pirated Disney DVDs, or if you didn't declare some expensive purchase in order to get around paying import duties.

Jadugar
Fri, 09-09-2005, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by: xanbcoo

...I want one!!!

Why dont you get a katana (http://japanimation.com/cgi-lbin/goto.cgi?link=&page=/jstore/swords.html&cart_id=) insted. Its made from real Stainless Steel.

Katana - Black (http://japanimation.com/j-store/shop.cgi?page=/goeast/swktblk.html&cart_id=)

XanBcoo
Fri, 09-09-2005, 12:17 AM
Are you kidding me? Ninja don't use Katana!

Actually, I'd much prefer a katana - my friend has one and I play around with it all the time when I'm at his house...he gets pissed at me.

Jadugar
Fri, 09-09-2005, 12:24 AM
Having a katana is much beeter than a kunai. You are lucky you can get katanas in US.
Here in UK its illegal.

BioAlien
Fri, 09-09-2005, 12:34 AM
what about the throwing star? are they in metal too?
and katana are nice, i got a friend who got one too

Jaredster
Fri, 09-09-2005, 02:05 AM
i want one

BioAlien
Fri, 09-09-2005, 04:27 AM
me too, but where can we find thats?

kenren
Fri, 09-09-2005, 05:48 AM
seriously , can that katana use to cut? -_-

Kaka
Fri, 09-09-2005, 07:18 AM
nice, but am i the only one wondering why gaara's hair is black :-D

GhostKaGe
Fri, 09-09-2005, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by: Jadugar
Having a katana is much beeter than a kunai. You are lucky you can get katanas in US.
Here in UK its illegal.

No there not theres no law against owning swords in the UK only carrying them in public places if your interested in getting 1 you should try

Don Bayney's in London

Address: Grays Antique Market
58 Davies Street, London , W1K 5JF
Telephone: 020 7491 7200

London Area: Mayfair

Nearest Transport Link:
Bond Street (London Underground)

Business Description
Located in Grays Antique Market, Bayney sell a range of Japanese antiques including Samurai swords and armour

Psyke
Fri, 09-09-2005, 11:25 AM
Ninjas DO use katanas. Just not ninjas in Naruto.

And you guys should see the shurikens they are selling in toy shops. Really sharp edges and feels like a real one (it's made of metal). I'm sure kids are throwing them at each other as we speak.

Jman
Fri, 09-09-2005, 11:32 AM
Are you kidding me? Ninja don't use Katana!

Jubei from Ninja Scroll had a katana.

mage
Fri, 09-09-2005, 11:49 AM
Ninjas in Naruto use katanas, remember the people Gato had guarding him?

Draon
Fri, 09-09-2005, 12:31 PM
Actually the Chinese Shinobi use Ninjatu not Katanas, Katana = Samurai, Ninjatu = Ninja, though almost identical to Katanas the Ninjatu is a single or double edged straight bladed sword about the same lenght if not abit shorter then the average Katana. I have a small collection of swords myself including a Ninjatu and a Katana there is a distict difference between them.

P.S. oh yeah I want that Kunai!! lol got to call my importer now i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Hawkeye_NO
Fri, 09-09-2005, 12:38 PM
Gekkou Hayate (Examinator in Chuunin Exam, prelimitaries) used a sword in battle.

Psyke
Fri, 09-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by: Draon
Actually the Chinese Shinobi use Ninjatu not Katanas, Katana = Samurai, Ninjatu = Ninja, though almost identical to Katanas the Ninjatu is a single or double edged straight bladed sword about the same lenght if not abit shorter then the average Katana. I have a small collection of swords myself including a Ninjatu and a Katana there is a distict difference between them.

P.S. oh yeah I want that Kunai!! lol got to call my importer now

Hmmmm.....What's a chinese shinobi?

BioAlien
Fri, 09-09-2005, 12:57 PM
Hmmmm.....What's a chinese shinobi?

a chinese ninja?

ChaosK
Fri, 09-09-2005, 01:05 PM
i think he meant along the lines of, what do they specialize in or something, i mean was it labeled that the ninjas in naruto are "japanese ninjas"? if so, what are chinese ninjas? (example?)

Jadugar
Fri, 09-09-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by: The Next Hokage

No there not theres no law against owning swords in the UK only carrying them in public places.

You mean they are legal as long as you dont get caught with them in public.

There is an actual law that you cant carry a knife which is longer than 3cm long.

It may seem strange but Nunchakus are also banned in UK. When you see a Bruce Lee movie on TV they will edit the scenes with the Nunchaku. How stupid is that.

XanBcoo
Fri, 09-09-2005, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by: Psyke

I was just kidding.

Oh, and Gatoh's henchemen weren't ninja. They were samurai. Kishimoto said so himself.

GhostKaGe
Fri, 09-09-2005, 01:50 PM

You mean they are legal as long as you dont get caught with them in public.

Swords are perfectly legal for colletors to posses there are laws regarding who may posses them such as people with convictions for violent offences as well as the storing and display of the the item but im not up to speed

There is an actual law that you cant carry a knife which is longer than 3cm long.

What You Can't Have ...
The following items are banned from sale within the UK (although if you already own one you may keep it, but not use it outside of your own property) ... Switchblades, automatics or 'flick-knives', gravity knives, balisongs or 'butterfly knives', push daggers, belt buckle knives, sword canes, or knuckle-duster knives. Late on in 2004, an amendment to the law was introduced which restricts the sale of any knife which is not readily detectable by the normal methods of detection, ie: either x-ray or metal detection, unless it can be proven that the knife's sole purpose is for the preparation of food. So for instance, the Cold Steel CAT Tanto or Lansky Knife are now prohibited within the UK.

You may not buy any knife designed to look like something else, for instance a knife which appears to be a pen, (and it doesn't matter whether the pen works or not, it's still a concealed weapon)!

What You Can Carry ... The Criminal Justice Act (1988) says that you may carry a knife with a blade length of 3.0" or less so long as it is capable of folding. That means no fixed blade knives. But use your loaf - a knife has no place at a football match, in a pub, nightclub or school and becomes an offensive weapon in these circumstances in just the same way as a screwdriver, or any other innanimate tool.

But I NEED a Bigger Knife ... If you wish to carry a larger knife then you must have 'reasonable cause'. That means that you must be able to prove that you had a genuine reason for carrying the knife. You may carry a larger cutting tool if it is associated with your work (for instance a chef may carry a 9.0" butchers knife roll to and from work), or if it is associated with your sport, (for instance a fisherman may carry a 6.0" fillet knife, or a hunter may carry a 4.0" fixed blade hunting knife).(since most forms of hunting are ban in the uk this is a bit redundant)

It may seem strange but Nunchakus are also banned in UK. When you see a Bruce Lee movie on TV they will edit the scenes with the Nunchaku. How stupid is that.

they did the same when editing Teenage Mutant Ninja (or Hero as it was here) turtles.
More recent screenings where screened unedited due to censor law being relaxed

joshd
Fri, 09-09-2005, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by: Psyke

And you guys should see the shurikens they are selling in toy shops. Really sharp edges and feels like a real one (it's made of metal). I'm sure kids are throwing them at each other as we speak.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b350/jjoshdd/1839a.gif

Jaredster
Fri, 09-09-2005, 04:51 PM
^^^
great episode

How did u get pass through the customs? I thought you were not allowed to bring sharp and metal objects.

clearly he is a master ninja

2:25
Fri, 09-09-2005, 07:52 PM
hahaha,
how much did this toy set cost? Is there even a warning sign on it? You know...age 3+

Rhanfahl
Fri, 09-09-2005, 10:14 PM

...I want one!!!

Why dont you get a katana (http://japanimation.com/cgi-lbin/goto.cgi?link=&page=/jstore/swords.html&cart_id=) insted. Its made from real Stainless Steel.

Katana - Black (http://japanimation.com/j-store/shop.cgi?page=/goeast/swktblk.html&cart_id=)

Stainless steel sucks ass. Its soft, breaks easily, bends even more easily, and can't hold an edge worth shit. Anyone that is serious about a katana, look for something that is at least HC60 / HC40 carbon steel. Much stronger, and you can even cut things with it instead of just look at it or play with it. If you're really rich, look into getting an L6 bainite steel one.

Check here if you're really interested.
www.bugei.com

As for the kunai, is that one from one of the cosplay kits you see in all the on-line stores or is it different? Cause I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of them for throwing myself. But I haven't been to China or Japan in 4 years....and I'm too poor to go back right now. Let me know if you find one on-line that is the same as this...metal, not that plastic BS.

As for this...

[quote]
Originally posted by: Draon

I think what you are referring to is a "ninja-to", also known as a "shinobigatana". In actual feudal Japan, only nobles could carry "daito" or long swords we know as "katana". However, any commoner could own and carry a "shoto" or short sword we know as "wakizashi". Since most Shinobi were peasents they could neither carry a katana without looking suspicious nor could they afford one. Also, shinobi preferred wakizashi because they were easier to use in closed spaces. Sometimes in open battle though they would use sheaths or "saya" from a katana to make their sword look like a long sword and trick the enemy into thinking the draw would take the same amount of time as theirs. Short swords draw much faster than long swords, I know this personally from kenjutsu class. What you see on-line the generic one-sided, straight edged blade with the square guard (tsuba) never existed in feudal Japan. Katana with straight edges were done away with centuries before because they found a curved edge provides a better cut and prevents the sword from breaking as easily.

As far as Chinese shinobi go....um...I've never heard of them. Not to say there weren't chinese assassins, but chinese swords were nothing remotely close to Japanese ones. That is one area where Japan totally kicked China's ass.

joshd
Sat, 09-10-2005, 02:30 AM
It's tough to tell if any of the ones sold online are the same.

This one (http://www.gkworld.com/product/GKW06216) looks like it's the same, except it's not because it's 0.5" longer and the description says it's plastic.

This one (http://store.yahoo.com/animedvd/naruto-kunai.html) is metal but the description says it's 8" long so it's not the same either. But the description could be wrong too. The description of the item says it has a red strap but the picture for the item shows a white strap.

Jman
Sat, 09-10-2005, 11:55 PM
http://www.merriol.freeserve.co.uk/products/ninja.htm

shurikens

Phoenix20578
Sat, 09-10-2005, 11:58 PM
LMAO
Star of David. Nice.
For acual stuff, go here:
http://www.centuryfitness.com/...rent_category_rn=13501 (http://www.centuryfitness.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10051&cate goryId=13524&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=13501)

a_odessey
Tue, 09-13-2005, 05:19 PM
curse you!!! i was in china a few months ago and didn't see ANYTHING like that. WHY!!!??? I would've wanted one... The only naruto thing i saw there was this lam-o holding thingy for something, like a weird fan.

ChaosK
Tue, 09-13-2005, 06:16 PM
haha going to asia in 3 months, gonna buy some. oh phoenix i own the scorpion star they show there, my karate teacher gave it to me as a gift when i graduated 1st degree

Phoenix20578
Tue, 09-13-2005, 06:20 PM
All my teacher gave me was a giant trophy. WTF!? I want a ninja star!

masamuneehs
Tue, 09-13-2005, 07:30 PM
LOL, I'm happy someone referenced that South Park episode, the anime spoof "Fun Times with Weapons". It has the best animation in any South Park episode I've ever seen, and it is fucking ridiculously hilarious to boot!

I would like to get a set of two Katanas. A longer Katana and a shorter close range one. I can even afford them, but I feel I should take lessons first before spending so much money on tools I can't use properly.

aznroyale
Tue, 09-13-2005, 08:32 PM
i want some -_-

Mae
Tue, 09-13-2005, 09:30 PM

What You Can't Have ...
You may not buy any knife designed to look like something else, for instance a knife which appears to be a pen, (and it doesn't matter whether the pen works or not, it's still a concealed weapon)!

Well, since we're already getting off topic... This reminds me of a scene I saw while going through airport security (post terrorism). This woman was talking to a security guard who was going through her purse and found what looked like lipstick. He took the top off the tube and twisted and what should appear but a nasty looking razor blade. She was desperately explaining that it had been given to her for a joke, she'd forgotten she had it (dangerous, that, what if she'd need lipstick?), and how she really needed to catch her plane. She was still explaining after I got through the (very long) line. If were her I would have gone for the mace.

Rhanfahl
Tue, 09-13-2005, 09:48 PM
Just don't get a piece of shit stainless steel one that's like $50.... If you want a good katana I recommend a Hanwei Paul Chen one or anything that is HC "carbon" steel. A good Katana will run you about $200. Anything more and its probably either a rip off, some replica designer shit, or hand made.

joshd
Wed, 09-14-2005, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by: a_odessey
curse you!!! i was in china a few months ago and didn't see ANYTHING like that. WHY!!!??? I would've wanted one... The only naruto thing i saw there was this lam-o holding thingy for something, like a weird fan.

The key is to go to places where the locals shop . I saw a ton of Naruto stuff at the toy market in Beijing. It's more like a fish market than a toy store. There are dozens of stalls selling different things. Some just sell video games (pirated, of coarse), others sell toys for infants, and a few sell anime collectibles. The prices are about 1/8 the prices in the US. Basically 1 USD is worth 8 RMB so you just forget the exchange rate and pretend you are spending dollars. But you've got to bargain if you look like a foreigner. They will always start by quoting you some outrageous price to begin with and then you've got to bargain them down.