PDA

View Full Version : What crewmen does Luffy need?

DarthEnderX
Sun, 09-04-2005, 01:49 PM
Quote from another thread started me thinking about this.

luffy and myself alike are still waiting for a musician to join the crew

And more practically, they need a shipwright/ship engineer type person.

I remember in like the first episode, Luffy originally said he wanted a 10 person crew. He's got 7 now. He really needs a shipwright, and he really wants a musician. I wonder what he'd get for a 10th...

/goes to look up the various crew positions in Skies of Arcadia

Sailor
Helmsman
Cook
Delegate
Jester
Gunner
Merchant
Lookout
Builder
Engineer

Well, he already have at the least a Cook and a Gunner. They pretty much all qualify as both Sailors and Jesters. They don't really need a Delegate or Merchant. So really, there's engineer which I mentioned. I suppose they could use a lookout or a helmsman. Especially a helmsman. I mean they all CAN run the helm, but they don't have like a super ship pilot in the way Nami is a super navigator or Usopp is a super Gunner.

So thats my choice for the last 3 spots. Musician, Engineer, Helmsman.

Assertn
Sun, 09-04-2005, 02:04 PM
haha, glad to know that i inspired a new topic i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif
Nami does a pretty good job as a helmsman. I mean just watch how she mastered that wave runner thing. I really want an engineer, cause i'm sick of seeing the going merry get beat up all the time.

I say get a musician, engineer, and lookout. Someone who can anticipate what is up ahead for the crew could be pretty useful, since most of the time they pretty much just leave themselves to fate.

Deblas
Sun, 09-04-2005, 03:25 PM
I don't think we need a lookout. Usopp is good enough for the job since he actually does it all the time. And he has a sharp eye being the gunner and all so I don't think they'll need someone who specializes in looking.

A shipwright is a downright necessity.

Is a helmsman a stern handler? If it is then that would be good. Seeing as when there are storms or strong current it seems that they need more than one person cause its so hard to move it. Someone who specializes in that area would be a good addition.

Luffy HAS to get a musician. Nuff said.

I also don't want just fighters joining luffy's crew. Like I said before. I always liked the combo of his crew. They all have an important job but at the same time they are freakishly strong fighters.

So including the captain, that makes the last 3 members with jobs that might join luffy's crew to complete the 10 members he originally wanted.

Mut
Sun, 09-04-2005, 03:56 PM
A cyborg.

Jadugar
Sun, 09-04-2005, 04:22 PM
A lot of people including myself have been talking about this in another thread (http://forums.gotwoot.net/messageview.cfm?catid=52&threadid=15768&STARTPAGE= 2&enterthread=y). So its a good job that you made this separate thread.

One thing I need to know as I am an anime watcher only, I dont read manga so should I be expecting any spoiler in this thread. You should put some kind of alert on this thread.

Now getting back to the topic.

Like Deblas said A Musician is absolutely on top of the list for Luffy. Entertainment and Adventure what Luffy is all about.

Also do we need a male or female crew member? If another female member joins the gang then Sanji will have a hard time juggling them.

It will be hard for the new person to adjust and be comfortable in the crew. Whoever Luffy decides to pick will be a great character. Maybe he will pick someone during Skypiea arc.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 09-04-2005, 07:24 PM
I also don't want just fighters joining luffy's crew. Like I said before. I always liked the combo of his crew. They all have an important job but at the same time they are freakishly strong fighters.
I think it goes without saying that whatever other jobs they have, any new crew will ALSO kick ass in a fight.

In fact, I think Zoro is the only one who doesn't serve a purpose besides combatant.

Is a helmsman a stern handler?
Yes

bongjae
Sun, 09-04-2005, 08:30 PM
where does it say luffy originally wanted 10 members

DarthEnderX
Sun, 09-04-2005, 10:04 PM
It was either in the first episode, or during the Shanks flashback when he's a kid. I forget which.

Jadugar
Mon, 09-05-2005, 12:23 AM
Does anyone know for sure when Luffy said he wanted 10 members? All I know he wanted some people to make his pirate crew but where does he specify the crew being consisted of 10 people. Is it in the manga or anime? If so, where exactly?

Stoopider
Mon, 09-05-2005, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by: Mut@chi
A cyborg.

Add a zombie to the list. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif Zombies are always cool.

I think Luffy probably should get another person that can FLY!!! Probably a flier would be the lookout scout.

Maybe Luffy should get a MerMan as well. A strong Merman, that can comb the sea's.

Jadugar
Mon, 09-05-2005, 06:50 AM
I see, the "No Spoilors alert" has been put up.

But are there any spoilers about anyone joining Luffy soon?

Masamune
Mon, 09-05-2005, 07:30 AM
A singer

Terracosmo
Mon, 09-05-2005, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by: Jadugar
Does anyone know for sure when Luffy said he wanted 10 members? All I know he wanted some people to make his pirate crew but where does he specify the crew being consisted of 10 people. Is it in the manga or anime? If so, where exactly?

I can't pinpoint the episode either, but I clearly remember that it was said. But I doubt it has any real siginificance. It's not like Luffy plans ahead or anything. I'm guessing it was just a random number tossed out by him.

Assertn
Mon, 09-05-2005, 03:42 PM
no, but it has been hinted at like 2 or 3 times about there being a need for a doctor way before chopper joined

Jadugar
Mon, 09-05-2005, 09:07 PM
Do you think we will see any candidate for the new member in Skypiea?

Stoopider
Tue, 09-06-2005, 07:29 AM
Probably a flyer! Since they all got them wings! i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Jadugar
Tue, 09-06-2005, 12:03 PM
Wouldnt it be hard for him to leave Skypiea and go down to all blue.

MrTicTac
Mon, 09-12-2005, 10:20 PM
when i try to think about a candidate,, i start thinking about how they gotta have like "their dream"

like zoro a swrdsman want to be the greatest one, chopper a doc, wants to cure all disease

soo luffy said he wanted a musician, i think this is closest one, like the guy's dream could be something like he wants his music to be heard everywhere

for a shipwright,, his dream could be to see the greatest of ships

if its like a lookout, wtf is his dream and purpose in life gonna be O_o

and skypiea arc just came out on sub right? where normal theres like almost 300 episodes, not putting hopes down but there should atleast be some pics floating around online about any new one piece chars

a new char would be great, but i'd rather see another loveable char like vivi who stayed on for a long time

Assertn
Tue, 09-13-2005, 01:26 PM
the lookout's dream would be to see the world, duh

Phoenix20578
Tue, 09-13-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by: MrTicTac
for a shipwright,, his dream could be to see the greatest of ships

I think a shipwrites dream would be to build the greatest ship

Jadugar
Tue, 09-13-2005, 10:48 PM
We are pretty much certain that Luffy is going to get a musician but what would be his dream?

MrTicTac
Wed, 09-14-2005, 12:21 PM
well i dunno i just posted some crap which i thought would make sense

wtf they need a lookout for,, fawking wide open ocean,, i'd think u'll see a ship if there is one,,

i hope its a musician, prolly call the char a bard or something,, my guess too would be a younger girl char, like same age range as chopper, so sanji's chemistry with nico and nami wouldnt be unbalanced, and not another powerful fighter, cause theres already plenty

KaneInferno
Wed, 09-14-2005, 03:21 PM
He says he wants ten crew members in the manga, but I couldn't find it it the anime.

Jadugar
Wed, 09-14-2005, 03:42 PM
Its begining to look like a myth. We all know that Luffy wants 10 crew members but none of us pin point the exact moment.

6Zabuza9
Tue, 09-20-2005, 11:06 PM
it was when he first met alvida and told her he is a pirate and she was like wtf! 1 man crew and he was like yea but i'll get more probably 10

Phoenix20578
Tue, 09-20-2005, 11:15 PM
Here it is:

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/5493/vlcsnap34966926fh.png
http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/5676/vlcsnap34967958xl.png

Thanks to 6Zabuza9 for the reminder.

Jadugar
Wed, 09-21-2005, 05:41 AM
Wow.

That means Oda has planned One Piece that far ahead.

Astronopolis
Mon, 09-26-2005, 03:48 PM
or it could mean nothing at all, its not like if Luffy doesnt get any more crewmen that Oda is breaking a taboo or something.
just playing devils advocate hehe i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Jadugar
Tue, 09-27-2005, 08:41 PM
I think Oda has planned OP in depth and I am sure Luffy will get around ten gang members. I might be wrong.

Deblas
Tue, 09-27-2005, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by: MrTicTac
my guess too would be a younger girl char, like same age range as chopper, so sanji's chemistry with nico and nami wouldnt be unbalanced, and not another powerful fighter, cause theres already plenty

Chopper is 15. Vivi was 16 when she was with the Strawhats and the 19 year old Sanji still fawned over her. So long as the female has a pretty face and a huge rack, a new female crewmember could be 14 years old and Sanji would go for it.

And what chemistry are we talking about here? With Sanji and woman is pretty much a one sided deal. I don't think chemistry is the right word for it. More like obssesion which is really no big deal since he obsesses over every good looking woman he lays eyes on.

Assertn
Tue, 09-27-2005, 11:38 PM
sanji seemed so much more suave when they first introduced him

Phoenix20578
Wed, 09-28-2005, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by: AssertnFailure
sanji seemed so much more suave when they first introduced him

Yeah, now he just seems desperite...

Munsu
Wed, 09-28-2005, 01:34 PM
Right now I think they'll get eventually"

A musician
A carpenter
A blacksmith
An inventor (even though Ussop is doing fine on his own)

Raven
Wed, 09-28-2005, 08:00 PM
They should have taken the old inventor guy from the rainbow filler! *cough*

Jadugar
Wed, 09-28-2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by: CmDr_RavEn
They should have taken the old inventor guy from the rainbow filler! *cough*

hahaha. A new character from a filler.

Originally posted by: Budweineken
Right now I think they'll get eventually"

A musician
A carpenter
A blacksmith
An inventor (even though Ussop is doing fine on his own)

I agree on first two but a blacksmith and an inventor?

Ok maybe a blacksmith but why an inventor?

Deblas
Fri, 09-30-2005, 11:39 AM
Why do they need a blacksmith? Isn't a shipwright able to do anything from wood to metal when it comes to ships?

Phoenix20578
Fri, 09-30-2005, 12:40 PM
Please, Ussop is enouph of a blacksmith for the crew. Anyone
who can make something like the Clima Tact is better than any
prfessional blacksmith.

Coriandria
Tue, 10-04-2005, 12:15 AM
For reference I've only watched up to episode 132 so far (a few eps after the Alabasta arc)

It feels to me like most crew positions are being well covered. So for a new crew member the first thing that pops into my mind is an olympic diver/swimmer. With so many devil's fruit users on board now. they are going to need someone to save their butts on occasion. What the life dream of a swimmer would be I haven't got a clue. It's just a thought. A silly one perhaps :-P

Jadugar
Tue, 10-04-2005, 06:01 AM
There are three people onboard Going Merry with devil's fruit abilities : Luffy, Chopper and Robin. On the other hand we have Nami, Sanji, Usssop and Zoro. So the ratio of non-hammer is bigger. I would say they can handle themselves without a swimmer.

Did you enjoy the tension and fights during arabista arc.

Assertn
Tue, 10-04-2005, 02:18 PM
if we're going to replace one of the duties that usopp's been handling, we should get a new sniper, not an inventor.

Slingshots just aren't cutting it

Honoko
Tue, 10-04-2005, 02:50 PM
yeah, i wanna kno if ussop'll ever be as badass as his dad-- highly doubtful, but one can hope i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Mae
Tue, 10-04-2005, 03:24 PM
I think hanging out with Luffy, Zoro, and Sanji will be enough to inspire Usopp ot get stronger. And he really didn't do all that badly fighting against the ball priest.

As far as crew members. Yeah, he needs a shipwright badly. Musician seems like a likely choice. Maybe a fisherman to keep Sanji supplied? Or someone like the old knight who can fly around and scout things out?

Also, does Luffy have an official first mate? Someone clearly second in command? Those seem common on pirate ships, but Luffy's crew isn't all that organized...

Edit: Phoenix, fist mate doesn't mean the first crewman recruited. It's the official title of the ship's officer just below the captain in the chain of command.

Phoenix20578
Tue, 10-04-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by: Mae
Also, does Luffy have an official first mate? Someone clearly second in command? Those seem common on pirate ships, but Luffy's crew isn't all that organized...

Well, Zoro is the first mate, because, well, he was the first crew member. There isn't a second in
command though. I don't think there will be ether. Luffy is irreplaceable as a captain and leader.

Jadugar
Tue, 10-04-2005, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by: Mae

Nami is more or less perfect for the job. She is the navigator afterall. Without her the ship wouldnt be going anywhere. Also rest of the crew listen( scared) to Nami. She is good at giving orders but the final decision has to be the Luffy's.

Deblas
Tue, 10-04-2005, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by: Phoenix20578
There isn't a second in command though. I don't think there will be ether. Luffy is irreplaceable as a captain and leader.

Usopp kinda made himself second in command. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

This was when they were riding Scissors(the crab) towards the capital city. Luffy stayed behind to fight Croc. He's having inner thoughts.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/Deblas/Usopp.jpg

Phoenix20578
Tue, 10-04-2005, 07:51 PM
That was him being dilutional. I seriously think it would be Zoro or Nami. I'd rather hope it never comes to
that, but if the time comes, one of those two would be good.

Jadugar
Tue, 10-04-2005, 07:52 PM
I thought he was the Captaini/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

CAPTAIN USSOP.

Thats what he calls himself mostly.

Phoenix20578
Tue, 10-04-2005, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by: Phoenix20578
That was him being dilutional.

Deblas
Tue, 10-04-2005, 08:00 PM
Hehe I know.

Zoro's the first mate but the way I see it Nami is second in command. Luffy does make the decisions to what are they going to do or where are the going but Nami takes care of alot of responsibilities in the ship. And she's really assertive and bossy and really, If you don't listen to her you'll have a big BONK coming your way.i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Phoenix20578
Tue, 10-04-2005, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by: Deblas
And she's really assertive and bossy and really, If you don't listen to her you'll have a big BONK coming your way.i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

I'd say more of a KABOOM!!, but BONK could work to i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

DarthEnderX
Thu, 10-06-2005, 03:51 AM
I'd have to say Zoro is the 1st mate too. He was the second member of the crew, he's got the second highest bounty(er, if you don't count Robin I guess, but I don't think we even know what her's is yet), and he doesn't have any other job on the ship.

Granted, Nami does alot of the decision making, but if it came down to formal introductions, I think Nami wouldn't want to be known as the 1st mate, because people would expect the 1st mate to be strong, and she might end up getting scary people picking fights with her. Not something she'd want.

6Zabuza9
Mon, 10-17-2005, 04:41 AM
they did tell us robin's bounty i think. but im too lazy to find out. and yea zoro first mate and nami is vice captain. but wouldnt it be wierd if luffy was running around saying he's captain luffy? lol he never says that

Munsu
Mon, 10-17-2005, 05:48 AM
Their next crew member will be a hot merwoman with some devil fruit power...

Zhan
Thu, 11-17-2005, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by: 6Zabuza9
they did tell us robin's bounty i think. but im too lazy to find out.

I think it mentioned her bounty was 81 million

el_boss
Thu, 11-17-2005, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by: Zhan

they did tell us robin's bounty i think. but im too lazy to find out.

I think it mentioned her bounty was 81 million

It's 79 million beli and she got it when she was eight years old. Funny that they haven't updated the bounty after the Alabasta thing (mayby thats because of the goverments cover up) and also the picture on the wanted poster is from when she was eight.

A musician would be great and he should talk like William Shatner does in Family Guy and also talk in really anoying verses. It's hard to come up with a non-lame dream for a musician.

If everyone in the world didn't speak japanese they would need a interpreter.

I agree that they need a proper shipwright.

They should get a sea king or a merman to be their nakama so he/it could pull the ship.

It would be really cool if someone from the warrior tribe in skypiea jonied them, I really like their style especially Viper.

Assertn
Thu, 11-17-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by: Budweineken
Their next crew member will be a hot merwoman with some devil fruit power...

you'll never see a mer-person with a devil fruit

DarthEnderX
Fri, 11-18-2005, 04:33 PM
Yeah, cause that would be one pissed off merfolk.

"I'm a merman and I can't fucking swim? What the fucking fuck?! I'm gonna go kill myself now"

Munsu
Fri, 11-18-2005, 05:27 PM
Lol, never thought about it that way, but it'll be interesting to see...

6Zabuza9
Fri, 11-18-2005, 06:18 PM
they cant swim but they would be able to breath! also maybe walk on the bottom floor? that wouldnt be swimming.

el_boss
Fri, 11-18-2005, 09:38 PM
they cant swim but they would be able to breath! also maybe walk on the bottom floor? that wouldnt be swimming.

People with devil fruit powers lose all of their powers when they are in water. Since the lungs are controlled by muscles as well, I don't think they would be able to breath under water even if they were mermen.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 11-22-2005, 02:15 AM
I don't think they've sufficiently explained exactly the effect the water has yet. Weather they simply sink like rocks or they are actually paralyzed.

el_boss
Tue, 11-22-2005, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by: DarthEnder
I don't think they've sufficiently explained exactly the effect the water has yet. Weather they simply sink like rocks or they are actually paralyzed.

I would say that they both sink like rocks and get paralyzed eventally, we have seen that it takes a little while for Luffy to stop moving. If they didn't sink Luffy could just do the fuusen and bounce out from the water and if they didn't get paralyzed he could just stretch his arms and get out of the water.

kljs
Sat, 11-26-2005, 11:14 AM
I remember Luffy saying that he wants a musician after getting a cook.
So, he probably will hope for a musician first.
then he really needs someone that can fixed the ship...with the marine's constantly on his and his crew's tail and the going merry getting beaten up.

And Luffy has said a few times in the earlier episodes that he hopes to get 10 crew members more or less.