PDA

View Full Version : Official Date for Naruto US Premiere

Necromas
Sat, 09-03-2005, 01:28 AM
According to the new commercial Naruto is starting on september 10th, at 9 Eastern-10 Pacific, for its cartoon network airing.

Now we will finally see how much they did/did not change it.

GhostKaGe
Sat, 09-03-2005, 02:52 AM
Changes they have made

The intro is now 10 min long and has a crappy rap tune
Naruto is now a samurai named bob
He has a nine tailed yorkshire terrior sealed inside him
His favourate food is now Mcdonalds Happy Meal with a side order of cole slaw (Yes thats right cole slaw)(they have to give him a balanced diet or the parents of fat kids will file lawsuits)
Sasukes family haven't been killed but instead have just dissapeared
All fights have be replaced with rock paper scissors
They now play some form of card game (they need something they can sell to dumb kids

I am waiting to see how the voices work out. I'm guessing not very well but who cares im still gonna be downloading fansubs anyway

BioAlien
Sat, 09-03-2005, 04:36 AM
Yay mc donald! lol
and his name is bob! lol (sponge bob?)
lol

i still didn't see any commercial about it (Canadian release) its supose to come out september 9.. so... lol

edit : YAY lol they have updated the website... so thats mean its realy going to come out! lol
http://www.ytv.com/programming...o/index.asp?showID=342 (http://www.ytv.com/programming/shows/naruto/index.asp?showID=342)

ChiaCheese
Sat, 09-03-2005, 07:35 AM
i hope the canadian release dub sounds just like degrassi complete with all the cute little aboots and agaynst and sorrys with the long O sound.

Munsu
Sat, 09-03-2005, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by: The Next Hokage

I guess the intentions for this was to make the Kakashi vs Gai challenges more meaningful

Deblas
Sat, 09-03-2005, 10:24 AM
Yeah I saw the commercial in Toonami. I don't think they'll butcher it as much as 4kids did with One Piece though.

Cyberdude93
Sat, 09-03-2005, 12:51 PM
Has this commercial been uploaded anywhere?

Jman
Sat, 09-03-2005, 01:12 PM
Changes they have made

The intro is now 10 min long and has a crappy rap tune
Naruto is now a samurai named bob
He has a nine tailed yorkshire terrior sealed inside him
His favourate food is now Mcdonalds Happy Meal with a side order of cole slaw (Yes thats right cole slaw)(they have to give him a balanced diet or the parents of fat kids will file lawsuits)
Sasukes family haven't been killed but instead have just dissapeared
They now play some form of card game (they need something they can sell to dumb kids

I am waiting to see how the voices work out. I'm guessing not very well but who cares im still gonna be downloading fansubs anyway

Bob?! I thought he was going to be called Nathan. And wasn't the series supposed to be renamed to Ninja Boy with fox inside?

Shinda
Sat, 09-03-2005, 02:22 PM
I wonder if they are gonna edit the naruto and sasuke kiss out,, or am I thinking they are too prudish now?
does anyone has the commercial uploaded, I don't have the channel.

BioAlien
Sat, 09-03-2005, 03:44 PM
if they edit naruto/sasuke kiss they are realy dumb...

is it true thats they remove the sexy technique?

Mite Gai
Sat, 09-03-2005, 03:56 PM
I don't think it will be that badly butchered, though if you pay attention during the commercial you hear Ebisu's voice and his does worry me a little since it sounds more vicious than it should be.

BioAlien
Sat, 09-03-2005, 05:51 PM
lets hope thats they didn't remove all the good part...

Edit : erf bullshit, the release in canada have been change... now for september 16... but they also said thats they won't cut any scene

XanBcoo
Sat, 09-03-2005, 07:33 PM
Here's hoping for minor edits on the Toonami version.

Vegechan
Sat, 09-03-2005, 09:08 PM
I think the "removal of the Sexy Technique" is just a rumor. Reasoning? They show Ebisu in the Toonami commerical, meaning they show the fight between him and Naruto, and that was primarily fought with, and won by, the Sexy Tech. So yeah, I highly doubt they removed it. Anyways, Big O was a Toonami production (they funded the second season) and it did fine. I have fairly high hopes for Naruto.

BioAlien
Sat, 09-03-2005, 10:24 PM
well maybe it was not when he was fighting naruto..., maybe it was when he was talking to him self (when konohamaru went to follow naruto)

mage
Sat, 09-03-2005, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by: Cyberdude93
Has this commercial been uploaded anywhere?

Vegechan
Sat, 09-03-2005, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by: BioAlien
well maybe it was not when he was fighting naruto..., maybe it was when he was talking to him self (when konohamaru went to follow naruto)

Nope. The scene was mere seconds before Naruto used the Harem Technique. I'm sure the technique is in the show, and most people are just going along with the rumor because "Dubbed anime is the devil and root of all evil."

With a keen eye for details, one truth always prevails!

XanBcoo
Sun, 09-04-2005, 12:55 AM
I agree, dub haters are gonna rip it a new one no matter one. I'm not suprised rumors like "Haku's gonna be a girl" showed up.

I just saw the commercial featuring Ebisu while watching the Bebop Movie on Adult Swim. I can't wait 'til next weekend. XD

Necromas
Sun, 09-04-2005, 11:43 AM
Uploaded just for you guys i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

(its the first commercial they aired, not the new one)

Clicky (http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=cn-toonamipreviewnaruto )

BioAlien
Sun, 09-04-2005, 12:50 PM
the fuck...

"he dream of becoming one day head manager"

coldpower27
Sun, 09-04-2005, 09:03 PM
I am hoping they don't do anything to make it cheesy. Please let it be unspoiled i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

ChaosK
Sun, 09-04-2005, 10:12 PM
we must laugh at your hope.

Vegechan
Sun, 09-04-2005, 10:20 PM
And I'm laughing at your sheepish pessimism.

aznroyale
Sun, 09-04-2005, 10:23 PM
ew Naruto wont be Naruto no more. It's called Bob

XanBcoo
Sun, 09-04-2005, 10:30 PM
he's not called bob.

I'm hoping so much that they change that "head ninja" shit. If they don't, I will shoot them. Shoot them all. In the face.

BioAlien
Sun, 09-04-2005, 10:37 PM
if you need help... lol

if they change hokage for head manager... thats gonna be they last mistake because they will be dead

aznroyale
Sun, 09-04-2005, 10:38 PM
american cartoon sucks edit to much

woofcat
Sun, 09-04-2005, 10:58 PM
I hope someone uploads it as i don't get Cartoon Network and i want to see the amount of shit they did to it.

BioAlien
Mon, 09-05-2005, 03:08 AM
well i will be able to see it by my self september 16... since its the official date of canadian release (with "no cut scene")

Cyberdude93
Mon, 09-05-2005, 12:51 PM
First of all, the video posted in this topic is old, and last time it was posted a lot of people said that we have to keep in mind this is Cartoon Network who are making the commercial. It's very possible that the dub uses the word Hokage but the commercial says head ninja so people actually understand it.

Secondly, the new trailer is on narutofan. It is once again some Cartoon Network advertisement, yet again with random music and the guy pronouncing Naruto wrong. The only actual representation of the dub was Ebisu's voice (and possibly blood edits, but I didn't exactly compare every frame with the original so this is just a guess). And I wouldn't worry about the poor pronounciation of Naruto, especially after the "Po-kee-man" adverts I saw on my last trip to North america.

The Heretic Azazel
Mon, 09-05-2005, 02:55 PM
Well how the fuck do YOU pronounce Pokemon then?

Cyberdude93
Mon, 09-05-2005, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by: The Heretic Azazel
Well how the fuck do YOU pronounce Pokemon then?
Lemme think, how about exactly how they do in the show. I've watched 4kids episodes many times and I've heard the Japanese opening. In NO way is it pronounced "Po-kee-man". Po as in "oh", kee as in "wheeee" and man being self-explanitory. I'm not going to even TRY and explain the correct way, just listen to 4kids' opening.

OmnislashXX
Mon, 09-05-2005, 04:30 PM
Well, this is Cartoon Network... they mess up every anime that airs on the channel. However, Naruto very rarely went to extremes when it came to the violence. Oh, there are a few scenes, but they are important parts anyway, so I don't think they'd ever get cut. If the show got cut though, there's also a good chance that an unedited version will show up on Midnight Swim. (Btw, that heart thing back a couple episiodes will NEVER be aired.) Naruto doesn't go the nudity route either, so nothing really to worry about there.

Plus... we'll still have our fansubs (they have 150 episodes befeore they even can think about catching up.)

XanBcoo
Mon, 09-05-2005, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by: OmnislashXX
Well, this is Cartoon Network... they mess up every anime that airs on the channel.

Anime "ruined" by Cartoon Network:

Dragonball Z (I don't agree with this, but it seems to be popular beleif)
Blue Gender (because of the editing done by Funimation)

Anime Not ruined by Cartoon Network:

Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
FLCL
Inuyasha
Samurai Champloo
Paranoia Agent
Read or Die
Cyborg 009
.Hack//Sign
.Hack//Legend of the Twighlight Bracelet
Rurouni Kenshin
Wolf's Rain
Witch Hunter Robin
GITS: SAC
Full Metal Alchemist
Big O
One Peice (blame 4Kids for shitting up this show, not CN)
There's more, but I think I've given enough proof...

Other than that I agree with you, Naruto doesn't have a lot to be edited that will fuck with the story too much. It won't be too bad.

Knives122
Mon, 09-05-2005, 09:32 PM
well JLU(Justice League Unlimited) gets away with alot of crap on CN, and it is a full on mature type of show(even though kids can still watch it). So I have my hopes that we will see most of the stuff that goes on in Naruto, but even if we dont we still have the eps on discs right.....RIGHT?

masamuneehs
Mon, 09-05-2005, 10:25 PM
xanbcoo, the difference between those often butchered are the programming blocks the anime has been put into.

Trigun was almost uneditted for Adult Swim, but YYH was dumbed down for Toonami, despite being okay when on Adult Swim.

Besides the .hacks and Kenshin, almost all those other shows aired after 10PM (somestimes 11PM) on Adult Swim. And .Hack is quite mild, not much to edit out. Kenshin was editted quite a bit, from what I saw in the CN version and the fansubs I've seen. But it was not quite BUTCHERED.

I have little to no real hope for Naruto in America. I'll watch out of curiosity, just to see how they deal with certain elements of the show, but because the rules for a CHILDREN'S TELEVISION NETWORK DURING DAYTIME HOURS WHEN CHILDREN ARE WATCHING TV are so different from those later at night, I think its' going to get chopped to pieces.

XanBcoo
Tue, 09-06-2005, 12:53 PM
Masamuneehs, I realize that the degree to which a show will be edited depends upon its time slot. My point was that hardly any anime shown on CN has really been "butchered" or even screwed up that much. I don't think Naruto will be ruined, maybe a little edited in some parts, but nothing that will make it unwatchable - despite the fact that it's on Toonami (and not Adult Swim)

Actually, I forgot about YYH...it was edited quite a bit now that I think about it.

ShinobiNeko
Tue, 09-06-2005, 03:54 PM
I'm sure it will be edited, and woudn't be surprised if they go along with the translations and what not that's used in the american release of the manga -_-

Phoenix20578
Tue, 09-06-2005, 06:06 PM
For anyone interested, Cartoon Network (the people most of you seem to hate) has released a clip from the Naruto Episode 1 Dub.

Click Me (http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/video/toonami/index.html)

LobsterMagnet
Tue, 09-06-2005, 06:58 PM
WOW, is it just me or does the US dub seem to sap away all the drama and tension that the japanese voices brought to the series. It just sounds ridiculous, almost makes me hate myself for watching it. Also why the hell does naruto sound like an eight year old child? He dosen't have the vibrant spunk that were all used to. God I can't even begin to imagine how some of his more serious interal monologues are going to sound like. Can't wait (or should i say dread) to hear the voices of some of the other supporting characters like sasuke, shimaru, neji, orchimaro, the third, shino, and so on and so forth. Dosen't sound like the dialogue going to be butchered but I do think that the voices make it very difficul for me to take naruto seriously. Hell I would have preferred that guy who does inuyasha's voice over the fricking five year-old naruto.

Knives122
Tue, 09-06-2005, 07:03 PM
*vomits

man, that seemed really bad, it was like there was nothing good about that ep what-so-ever, but it was the first ep so maybe(and I say that loosely) it'll get better

Roko
Tue, 09-06-2005, 07:59 PM
That was just plain horrible. What threw me off even more was how they pronounced "Naruto". *shudders*

Phoenix20578
Tue, 09-06-2005, 08:05 PM
No its i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif Nar-ut-o or Nar-u-to. they stress the u now. The voice acting is crap as far as I see.

BioAlien
Tue, 09-06-2005, 10:10 PM
... anyone with me to kill those loser who dub naruto?

Sidnne
Tue, 09-06-2005, 10:23 PM
TBH, I was actually pleasantly surprised by the video clip. Its not nearly as bad as I was expecting it to be.

Yes, the pronounciation of Naruto is a little funky. But they didn't turn around and completely americanize the pronounciations of the names either.

The voices don't sound good to many of you because its not how you are used to hearing the voices. But, nobody who is seeing the series for the first time will have a problem with it, and I think most people will get used to the voices after a few episodes.

If you just listen to the voices without trying to compare them to the japanese voices, then its really not too bad.

I'm actually quite releived after seeing that clip. But I'll have to see full episodes to make a complete judgement.

OmnislashXX
Tue, 09-06-2005, 11:14 PM
Well... the first time I heard it I thought it kinda sucked. The second time... ok... hmm maybe. They still mispronounce Naruto though. Also Naruto's voice was always kinda high... it is kinda missing that hard spunkiness that Naruto's character was always about. But we'll have to see the whole thing.

death-wing
Tue, 09-06-2005, 11:59 PM
woah, wtf, has neone else seen the schedule on toonami? if it keeps that way, 4 eps a week, doing my math, it should only take somewhat near 6 months to get to where anime is now, but knowing toonami, they'll cut the show down to one ep a week in like 2 months, and they'll probobly completely cut naruto in like 4 months. is it me, or doesn anyone else wana hit someone when they hear the talkin guy in comercial say naruto. that whitey friggin butchered his name. and finally, why the hell do they call hokage the "head ninja"? wtf is wrong with people these days? hokage >> head ninja (BIGTIME!

XanBcoo
Wed, 09-07-2005, 12:01 AM
seriously...WTF is everyone talking about mispronouncing Naruto for???

They say NA-ru-to...TWICE.

what is wrong with that? I was aware that is how the name is pronounced. Did all of you mishear it?
Watch it again, please, then bitch about the voice acting. Personally I'm over the moon that they didn't pull that naROOdo bullshit. That's what everyone was afraid of and they've succeeded so far. Pronounciation-wise...they've nailed it.

Voices that are ok: Naruto and Mizuki
-- We'll never see mizuki again (at least not for a long while), so I don't care about him
-- Naruto's voice really isn't that bad. It's not Junko Takeuchi...but it'll do and I think this girl might grow on a few fans. He does sound like he's about 6 though. MIght be problems there.

Voice that REALLY sucks imo: Iruka (God damn did they choose the wrong voice for him)

My opinion...not nearly as bad as I thought.
Really.

Although I do have to agree with Lobster Magnet, I'm worried that it does sound a little corny...
6 days left...

nests
Wed, 09-07-2005, 01:18 AM
At first when Iruka spoke I though, hey! not bad. Then Mizuki, not bad either, but then Naruto speaks and the hall thing just falls apart. I know Naruto is supposed to be an annoying character but damn with that voice it makes you want to punch him. about the way they pronounced Naruto Im not surpriced at all I'm just glad they left the word jutsu in there. It makes me hope that they are going to use kage-bushin ninjutsu inted of the art of the doppelganger

ludo410
Wed, 09-07-2005, 01:45 AM
holy crap you mean ther is good voice acting in dub'ed anime

Jaredster
Wed, 09-07-2005, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by: Phoenix20578
For anyone interested, Cartoon Network (the people most of you seem to hate) has released a clip from the Naruto Episode 1 Dub.

Click Me (http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/video/toonami/index.html)

i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

ludo410
Wed, 09-07-2005, 02:07 AM
wow. i dont rember it being that corny. i guess a bad connection well do that *cough*voice acting lessons *cough*

GhostKaGe
Wed, 09-07-2005, 02:51 AM
OMFG! that was the worst voice acting it just isn't right almost makes the voices in trigun seem good the way they used Jutsu just didn't sound right it would have been better if they used Techniques at least it would have fit better

Assertn
Wed, 09-07-2005, 03:58 AM
OMFG! that was the worst voice acting it just isn't right almost makes the voices in trigun seem good the way they used Jutsu just didn't sound right it would have been better if they used Techniques at least it would have fit better

you're an idiot. not only is trigun a horrible reference when dissing a dub, since its the best dub in existence, but you, like the others, are just being overly anal and biased.

Compared to most of the stuff on toonami, the quality exceeded my previous expectations....at least so far. Now as long as they keep the original jutsu names intact............

GhostKaGe
Wed, 09-07-2005, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by: AssertnFailure

you're an idiot. not only is trigun a horrible reference when dissing a dub, since its the best dub in existence, but you, like the others, are just being overly anal and biased.

Compared to most of the stuff on toonami, the quality exceeded my previous expectations....at least so far. Now as long as they keep the original jutsu names intact............

I've hated pretty much all dubs i've seen maybe im just an anime snob

As for trigun ok it wasn't that bad its just that i watch the first half of the series as a fansub and the rest as a dub which was weired as i still had the voices from the japanese in my head i think thats the main contribution for my dislike of it it just made it stand out more

You must have had pretty low expectations

mage
Wed, 09-07-2005, 07:36 AM
trigun is a horrible dub.

Originally posted by: xanbcoo
anime not ruined by Cartoon Network:

Cowboy Bebop
Trigun ruined
FLCL
Inuyasha ruined
Samurai Champloo
Paranoia Agent
Read or Die ruined
Cyborg 009 ruined
.Hack//Sign ruined
.Hack//Legend of the Twighlight Bracelet ruined
Rurouni Kenshin ruined
Wolf's Rain
Witch Hunter Robin ruined
GITS: SAC
Full Metal Alchemist
Big O ruined
One Peice (blame 4Kids for shitting up this show, not CN) ruined
There's more, but I think I've given enough proof...

Were you joking when you said none of those were ruined? Anyway, its not Cartoon Network that ruins them, they just air the shows. It's the dub companies that are fucking them up.

XanBcoo
Wed, 09-07-2005, 09:14 AM
mage, you're just complaining about dubs.
All, if not most, of those shows were not "Ruined" by an stretch of the imagination (maybe Kenshin, because of the Toonami edits...and maybe Inuyasha, 'cause that shit was ruined when it was created *bud-dum-ching*).

Trigun was an ok dub (I hate vash's english voice, but only b/c I love Onosaka); not terrible, but NOT the best dub in existence either.

Oh well, at least these guys can pronounce Naruto correctly. Even if the dub sucks, at least they've got that to brag about.

GhostKaGe
Wed, 09-07-2005, 09:19 AM
To be honest i always thought Cowboy Bebop was the best dub ive ever seen i'd like it more than the japanese if it wasn't for dodgey editing english better suited the style of the show

And One Peice has to be the worst dub ive ever seen

Assertn
Wed, 09-07-2005, 11:36 AM
you thought trigun's dub was ruined but not FMA's? LAFF

mage
Wed, 09-07-2005, 12:55 PM
FMA has the best dub IMO. All of the voices are good except Ed's and Al's, theyre a bit off.

Foomanchew24
Wed, 09-07-2005, 01:26 PM
Watch an episode of one peice then watch the clip of naruto and you will love naruto. Honestly, this wasnt that bad except naruto sounding way to young, but perhaps they will improve on that. The other two voices were fine in my opinion. As for the acting part, i'll take subpar acting over really annoying and bad voices. This wasnt that bad and i think ill watch a few episodes.

Jurojin
Wed, 09-07-2005, 01:27 PM
(this goes for what I've seen, not all that's out there)

The only real good subs as far as a series goes that Ill admit to is Cowboy Bebop, (especially how Ed was done, and the Movie pwned, btw), and Outlaw Star.

The rest of them were decent @ best.

Except for some notable exceptions, that were/are just really really bad.

Slayers, as well as Next and Try (tbo, not so bad until they put in David Moo for Xellos, though I never did like Lina's English VA)

One Piece (Why oh god why did they give Moo work again? ;_; and the rest o the cast+ acting was horrid on top of that.)

On topic:

Am I going to need to get cotton balls near me for when I look @ this preview to clean up the bleeding from my ears and eyes?

Necromas
Wed, 09-07-2005, 03:41 PM
OH god its pretty bad how they say naruto, they just dont sound serious at all either. But I guess it COULD be worse, hell, I saw the english dub of the Yuyu Hakusho movie, now THAT was awful voice acting.

Rhanfahl
Wed, 09-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Well, just wait till the premiere and then we'll mostly (if not all of us) know how bad it will be.

As for the Cartoon Network comments. Fuck off, a network has nothing to do with the dubs, its all the shit companies that buy them that does it and how much time they devote to making it accurate and flow well. You can't translate Japanese to English word for word, you won't understand a fucking thing. Ever see "Lost in Translation"? Its all about who's doing it, who the translators are, and who they hire for the voices.

Examples

Cowboy Bebop - Voices are kept clean and are all in character, the attitudes of the characters are maintained, and best yet, the music is un-fucking-touched. All carried over word for word and note for note.

Dragon Ball Trilogy - This was a great show back in the 90s, but the problems came with the Funimation buying it...why? Well first off at that time Funimation sucked donkey dick and didn't give a fucking shit about quality at all, only marketing (that's still pretty much true today). The translation was destroyed (I'm reminded of Gohan saying someone smelled like toenails or something insanely retarded instead of something more applicable to his actual mood). The music was completely changed, first to some head banger shit, then so somesort of rap shit and the narrator got progressively deeper voiced and less professional (In no way am I saying the Nihon music was any better...well I guess it was by comparison...and, well it was the 80s/90s).

Anyways the list goes on and on about how that was butchered. The point is, anime being dubbed doesn't make anime suck, its all in who dubs and edits it....and that is why we have such a pissy defeatist attitude towards dubbed anime...cause 90% of it totally sucks ass. And only in the past 5 years or so that its gone from a "cultist hobby" to "mainstream media" have the companies even thought about making it good. In the past, the demand for good "american" anime was just not there. Hopefully it will get better.

Lastly, if the fuckers are smart, they'll can this Prime time shit and bring it to Adult Swim where then can leave it entirely uncut. Cause legally after 11:00 PM cable networks can say/show any fucking thing they want, and the FCC can't do a damn thing about it. Then we can hopefully hear all the wonderful things that spew from Tayuya's mouth that made us spew our beverages the first time we heard her talk, in beautiful resounding English.

Better yet, this anime would be in better hands if the company just hired Terracosmo to write the scripts, and turn Naruto into "The Adventures of Sakon"

mage
Wed, 09-07-2005, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by: Rhanfahl
Then we can hopefully hear all the wonderful things that spew from Tayuya's mouth that made us spew our beverages the first time we heard her talk, in beautiful resounding English.

"Be quiet you darned fatty!"

XanBcoo
Wed, 09-07-2005, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by: Necromas
OH god its pretty bad how they say naruto.

Watch the clip again...clean out your fucking ears...blah blah blah

Also for the record, most of DBZ's music was all synthesizer stuff, which I preferred over the japanese OST. Just my preference though. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

In any case, Rhanfahl is right, anime dubs seem to have come a long way in the past few years. But there still exist cases like One Peice (and hopefully not Naruto) where they completely fuck over the dub because "hey, it's just a kids show"- or some shit like that. Many dubbed anime on the market aren't *too* bad at all (I love the FMA dub...think it's perfect), and are treated seriously. I hope this is one of those cases.

So far, it sounds a little dodgy, but I hope they will fix that.

Assertn
Wed, 09-07-2005, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by: mage
FMA has the best dub IMO. All of the voices are good except Ed's and Al's, theyre a bit off.

I don't care how good the supporting voices are, if the main characters sound horrible, then it ruins the whole show.

I've never heard worse voice acting than the kid that plays Al

And as for the people saying they mispronounced "Naruto"...why don't you empty your clipboard of the lines you were waiting to paste ever since you first heard about the show premiering on Cartoon Network, because they actually were pretty accurate with the pronounciations in that clip

XanBcoo
Wed, 09-07-2005, 05:29 PM
Assertn, wth are you talking about?

Al's english VA is awesome. He and Mignogna put so much emotion and feeling into Ed and Al. I dunno why you don't like it...but that's another topic. I just see FMA as another of Funi's successes making up for DBZ (lol)

Paulyboy
Wed, 09-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Assertn, wth are you talking about?

Al's english VA is awesome. He and Mignogna put so much emotion and feeling into Ed and Al. I dunno why you don't like it...but that's another topic. I just see FMA as another of Funi's successes making up for DBZ (lol)

Xancboos right, the voices on FMA were great, but other than that, Narutos voice is alot worse than Als. Dosen't even sounds right, souds like a 7 year old. But if they make Sasuke's voice to gay, then yah they pretty much ruined it, other than that lets see what happens on Saturday. Sometimes you need to get used to the voices.

Phoenix20578
Wed, 09-07-2005, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by: Paulyboy

But if they make Sasuke's voice to gay, then yah they pretty much ruined it, other than that lets see what happens on Saturday. Sometimes you need to get used to the voices.

Yeah, you can't be cool and dark with a vioce that belongs on Teletubbies

Mite Gai
Wed, 09-07-2005, 07:32 PM
I didn't think the preview was that bad based on what I was expecting though I just hope that the VA for Naruto was just having some trouble getting into Naruto for the first episode or that may be trouble.

thoregundi
Wed, 09-07-2005, 07:44 PM
anyone see the info they got on cartoon network for naruto ??

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/.../naruto/101/index.html (http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/naruto/101/index.html)

they use Kage, Jonin, Chunin, Genin , academy student for ninja ranks

Assertn
Wed, 09-07-2005, 07:47 PM
how can people like Al's voice? it sounded like they took an 8 year old off the street and said "here, read this script to the microphone, then i'll warp it adobe audition and call it a day"

dub Al's emotion fits his character quite well: hollow.

Sidnne
Wed, 09-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by: thoregundi
anyone see the info they got on cartoon network for naruto ??

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/.../naruto/101/index.html (http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/naruto/101/index.html)

they use Kage, Jonin, Chunin, Genin , academy student for ninja ranks

Yeah... And?

Phoenix20578
Wed, 09-07-2005, 07:49 PM
I saw it. It's no longer Konoha or Hidden Leaf Village. Its now the Village Hidden in the Leaves.

thoregundi
Wed, 09-07-2005, 08:03 PM
Sidnne, I just wanted to point it out thats all.

BioAlien
Wed, 09-07-2005, 08:07 PM
jonin?, is it not supose to be jounin?

XanBcoo
Wed, 09-07-2005, 08:26 PM
@Assertn: whatever. It's a matter of preference I guess.

As for the ranks. That's really cool. At least we now know that that "head ninja" stuff was just the for the promo, and will not be used in the dub. It's a little annoying how they say "hidden in the leaves" instead of "Hidden Leaf Villige", but I suppose to someone who hasn't watched the show, they both seem equally strange.

Necromas
Wed, 09-07-2005, 08:48 PM
according to the schedule they are airing the first 2 episodes, and then re-airing them immediately after that, making a 2 hour Naruto block, they must really expect it to do well. (the other guy was mistaken, they are not airing 4 episodes a week every week, they are airing episodes 1, then 2, then 1 again, then 2 again, and odds are its just for the premiere)

P.S. Looks like they didn't change Kakshi's book into a superman comic i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif I win the bet!

Roko
Wed, 09-07-2005, 08:50 PM
hidden in the leaves...so what does that make the others? hidden in the mist and hidden in the sand works certainly. Hidden in the Sound? Doesn't really make sense...

Necromas
Wed, 09-07-2005, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by: Roko
hidden in the leaves...so what does that make the others? hidden in the mist and hidden in the sand works certainly. Hidden in the Sound? Doesn't really make sense...

Shhh they dont have to worry about that for the first season.

Paulyboy
Wed, 09-07-2005, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by: Roko

Yah your actually right, im still gonna watch and see what happens though. But you know how us Americans change that kinda stuff.

Sidnne
Wed, 09-07-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by: BioAlien
jonin?, is it not supose to be jounin?

Spelling is often changed when anime hits America.

I suppose its done for the young kids watching and just learning the grammar and spelling rules of English. They don't want the kids growing up being thrown off by the Japanese grammar rules and spellings.

While the spellings do get changed, the pronounciation usually doesn't. So it is nothing to worry about.

kaosoner
Wed, 09-07-2005, 09:51 PM
i hope the do like what they did for inuyasha and shit.................and what i mean by that is that they cut it...and put
it on adult swim so it can be all the way or partly uncut....you know what i mean?..............and .........another
thing on my mind is .......how or will they show the sexy no jetsu.................GOD THEY ARE REALLY GONNA FUCK
UP NARUTO.......DAMN YOU FUCKIN ANIME DESTROIN MUTHA FUCKERS...................WHO AGREES WITH ME.......
IS SAY WE KILL DA BITCHES

Knives122
Wed, 09-07-2005, 09:56 PM
i just want them to keep the op/ed and not do what 4kids did to yugioh, shamingking, one piece, that mew mew show, sonic x, and any other show I forgot

Sidnne
Wed, 09-07-2005, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by: kaosoner
i hope the do like what they did for inuyasha and shit.................and what i mean by that is that they cut it...and put
it on adult swim so it can be all the way or partly uncut....you know what i mean?..............and .........another
thing on my mind is .......how or will they show the sexy no jetsu.................GOD THEY ARE REALLY GONNA FUCK
UP NARUTO.......DAMN YOU FUCKIN ANIME DESTROIN MUTHA FUCKERS...................WHO AGREES WITH ME.......
IS SAY WE KILL DA BITCHES

I say you're an idiot. Think before you post.

XanBcoo
Wed, 09-07-2005, 10:55 PM
I'm gonna love hearing Haruka Kanata on Cartoon Network.

Too bad we'll have to wait a while for that one.

Konohamaru
Thu, 09-08-2005, 11:48 AM
I'll hopefully catch the first 2 episodes on the net somewhere in english since I live in the UK. I'll prolly either die laughing or think it's actually not bad. But either way...Jap for life yo!

DBZ voice acted wasn't too bad either but funnily, I actually liked the high pitched jap voices too, lol. Cept I think Vegetas voice in english suits him better than his jap voice. Who knows, some voices in Naruto might be better suited then the jap one.

Foomanchew24
Thu, 09-08-2005, 12:25 PM
I think the voices just depend on whether you watched the sub or the dub first. I started watching Yu Yu Hakusho dubbed, I then tried the subbed version and didnt like the Japanese voices, because I had already been accustomed to the dubbed version. Im dreading when they do Rock Lees voice, they always make the dorky dumb guys sound even worse.

Cyberdude93
Thu, 09-08-2005, 01:25 PM
Voices don't matter to me so much, nor does keeping the opening and the ending. I mean I enjoy all of those things, but as long as the script, music and story are the same, it's fine for me. However there's a difference between choosing a voice that doesn't fit fully and one that is wrong in every fucking aspect (Sanji.....).

I think I can even cope with the editing that's being put on the TV version. Keep in mind that something censored for TV but uncut on DVD will probably be a lot better than say anything 4kids.

masamuneehs
Thu, 09-08-2005, 04:11 PM
I feel like the voice acting is a huge part of whether the dub is good or not. Sticking to the script, not going crazy with editting, keeping the intro and endings are all second to good delivery. That is one of the reasons I enjoyed Cowboy Bebop (and parts of Gundam Wing) was not because of the lack of edits or (in Bebop's case) keeping the opening and ending (both stayed damn close to the original script) it was the way the American voice actors delivered the lines and portrayed their characters.

A classic example of delivery, IMO, is Inuyasha. There are so many poorly done scenes with Kagome yelling out Inuyasha's name (and vice-versa) and Miroku occasionaly sounding exactly like someone reading from a cue-card (and other times being totally natural) and then you have Sesshomaru. His voice acting makes him ultra badass, his calm, deep serious voice actor (the same guy who did Treize in GW) portrays the character perfectly. I just think that show is a case in point of how big voice acting can impact the show.

That being said, I'll give a general agreement to the person who said it depends on which version you hear first. Its really hard to swtich sides because you'll always associate one voice initially with that character and that show. That being said, I'm almost positive I won't like Naruto's American VA more than his Japanese....

Phoenix20578
Thu, 09-08-2005, 04:30 PM
And on that note, the Naruto American VA List!

Maile FLANAGAN - Naruto

Astro Boy [2003] (TV) as Matthew
Naruto (TV) as Naruto Uzumaki

Yuri LOWENTHAL- Sasuke

Bedaman (TV) as Berkhart; Sigma
Bottle Fairy (TV) as Senseisan
Cybuster (TV) as Ken
Daphne in the Brilliant Blue (TV) as Kevin
DearS (TV) as Ki
Eureka 7 (TV) as Renton
Gankutsuou (TV) as Chateau-Renaud
Ghost Talker's Daydream (OAV) as Fujiwara Mitsuru
Girls Bravo (TV) as Yukinari
Grenadier (TV) as Furon
Hanaukyo Maid Team: La Verite (TV) as Taro Hana Ukyou
Haré+Guu (TV) as Wadi
Kyo Kara Maoh! (TV) as Yuri
Marmalade Boy (TV) as Ginta Suou
Mars Daybreak (TV) as Junior
Naruto (TV) as Sasuke Uchiha
Rave Master (TV) as Haru Glory
Scrapped Princess (TV) as Leo
SD Gundam Force (TV) as Bakunetsumaru
Submarine 707R (OAV) as Goro Kusaka
The Twelve Kingdoms (TV) as Seishuu (Eps.28-30); Sekki (Eps. 32-35)
Ultra Maniac (TV) as Tsujiai
Zatch Bell (TV) as Danny Boy; Kory

Kate HIGGINS - Sakura

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (TV)
Here is Greenwood (OAV) as Miya Igarashi (Media Blasters dub)
Naruto (TV) as Sakura Haruno
Planetes (TV) as Eldegard Rivera
Scrapped Princess (TV) as Zefiris
Yukikaze (OAV)
Zatch Bell (TV) as Megumi; Kolulu; [+ unlisted credits]

*All info was obtained from www.animenewsnetwork.com *

XanBcoo
Thu, 09-08-2005, 08:15 PM
It looks like Naruto's VA is pretty inexperienced then, which probably means she wont be A+ material.

and to echo Foomanchew...one of the funniest (and truest) things I read on an ANN column once: "They could hire God as a VA for this show, and some Naruto fans would still hate the dub."

Edit: I'm gonna add the updated VA list to the other topic

Vegechan
Thu, 09-08-2005, 09:24 PM
How come no one is mentioing Case Closed/Detective Conan as one of the best dubbed animes? I loved Case Closed, but got really upset when they stopped showing new episodes and pushed the time frame so early in the morning. So I looked for some Jap Subs. From what I could tell, even the pretty twisted scense, were hardly edited. The editiing they did do was impose english translations over Japanese text, but matched the text to the quality of the anime. For instance, when Conan first takes the name Conan Edugawa, he's in a library surrounded by books. When I first saw the english dubs it didn't even occur to me that it could be imposed over, until I saw the Japanese subs and saw they were in Japanese. And, I actually prefer the English VA for the cast more than the JP. The soundtrack was left intact to boot. And while the opening was shortened, that's only because of the time frame it's being put in, and the show would have run too long with the complete opening.

IMO, Case Closed, is the best dubbed anime.

Rhanfahl
Thu, 09-08-2005, 10:12 PM
Detective Conan sucked ass. Its another old relic brought out of the Nihon archives....nothing special at all. The plots were ok, but his childish pompous voice pissed me off to no end. The adult voice was ok though. But then, I've never been a fan of anything done by Funimation. I'd probably enjoy that one more in Japanese.

And whoever mentioned the Dragon Ball Voices. Acutally to me, Piccolo and Vegeta's voices sound almost identical to me between the two languages. Piccolo Jap/ Piccolo Eng & Vegeta Jap / Vegeta Eng. But yeah, that Japanese woman that did Goku can hit notes that my "soprano" wife can't hit....damn.

But picturing Kakashi, and thinking Stephen Blum kinda bums me out....cause I'm gonna be like...who the fuck is that.... "Spikashi? Kakaspike?"

XanBcoo
Thu, 09-08-2005, 11:41 PM
except Blum is no longer playing Kakashi...at least according to ANN.

Edit: @Vegechan: your post just proves what Foomanchew was saying. You saw the dub first and preferred it. That's all. Case Closed is not the best dub ever by any stretch of the imagination. It's not terrible though. I'd say its quality is a little below par compared to Funi's recent releases like FMA, Fruits Basket, and Gunslinger girls.

masamuneehs
Fri, 09-09-2005, 05:15 PM
Lol at even God as Naruto's VA would be scorned... otakus are a bunch of picky assholes, aint we?

I would really want to see them give Zabuza a big black guy's voice, and Haku a soft, high pitched girly voice (how are they going to handle the homosexuality, i wonder?)

nests
Fri, 09-09-2005, 09:20 PM
Just saw the trailer on the Viz website and it looks like Naruto is Actually going to say Shadow Clone insted of Doppelganger.

mage
Fri, 09-09-2005, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by: masamuneehs
(how are they going to handle the homosexuality, i wonder?)
there is no homosexuality you moron

Mite Gai
Fri, 09-09-2005, 10:18 PM
I would say the Sasuke and Naruto kiss scene is, but hey thats just a guess lol, moron. Oh, and anyone know who Rock Lee's english VA is going to be?

Rhanfahl
Fri, 09-09-2005, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by: Mite Gai
I would say the Sasuke and Naruto kiss scene is, but hey thats just a guess lol, moron. Oh, and anyone know who Rock Lee's english VA is going to be?

Jackie Chan.

mage
Fri, 09-09-2005, 10:41 PM
there's absolutely no reason to edit the naruto/sasuke kiss scene.

Foomanchew24
Sat, 09-10-2005, 01:05 AM
Jackie Chan as Rock Lee's VA would be great, but Jackie probably costs too much. They will pick shoever sounds the dumbest at the studio and have them do the VA. Most americans and kid show producers I would think would want any and all homosexual overtones edited out, except for comedic puposes, then its ok to be a homo as long as your funny.

OmnislashXX
Sat, 09-10-2005, 02:33 AM
Well the premier is today, so I guess we'll all see I suppose. Damn man, I'm kinda wondering what Cartoon Network's ratings are going to be tonight. Well, suffice it to say, if they do a somewhat decent job I'll be happy. I'm just kinda dreading the fact that it'll become popular, then we'll have little snot nosed kids talking bout Naruto. I guess it's kinda selfish to think this, but Naruto was kinda like a cult following amongst anime fans (we knew it was really cool but most Americans who aren't into anime have never heard of it). Which is kinda the way I like it...really if it becomes the next Dragonballz or Pokemon fad, it'll lose alot of it's tasteful appeal (IMO.) Which I guess kinda saddens me.

Tinks
Sat, 09-10-2005, 12:08 PM
Naruto has been really popular for a few years now, theres a big difference between now and when the show was in just double/single digits
But I'm curious to see the voice overs mostly, I assume they'll reuse the same actors from other shows once again probably

ChaosK
Sat, 09-10-2005, 03:34 PM
lol they should have naruto done by a girl like it is now.

edit: also it wont really be naruto because we wont hear him say "dattebayo" every sentance.

XanBcoo
Sat, 09-10-2005, 03:42 PM
ooo, come to think of it, I wonder if they'll add in an english equivalent for "datebayo".

They did that with Kenshin's "de gozaru" by making him say "that I..." at the end of all of his sentences.

Perhaps they'll use "n'shit" (for the unedited version of course)

Naruto: "I'll never forgive Orochimaru n'shit"

Jman
Sat, 09-10-2005, 07:18 PM
Bump. Don't forget ppl, it comes on tonight at 9pm EST cartoon network

ChaosK
Sat, 09-10-2005, 07:24 PM
AHAHAHA i saw on 1 of the comercials with naruto's voice it sounds like a fucking chipmunk.

Knives122
Sat, 09-10-2005, 08:02 PM
*shakes head in shame*

they fucked up the op. big time

edit: they said Sasuke all right, but when they got to the last name it was like this: Ucheeeeha

oh and it seems the only person who says naruto right is the tom robot guy before the commercial comes on

Jman
Sat, 09-10-2005, 08:02 PM
The OP was fucking awful.

so far all the voices suck ass.

mage
Sat, 09-10-2005, 08:06 PM
man what the fuck

they totally fucked up the intro. what happened to rocks?

they removed the blood that comes out of iruka's nose when naruto did sexy no jutsu rofl i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif iruka totally mispronounced uchiha as well.

Nine Tailed Demon
Sat, 09-10-2005, 08:09 PM
the intro is crap and naruto's voice is bad...

mage
Sat, 09-10-2005, 08:11 PM
naruto's voice is pretty good IMO.

Jman
Sat, 09-10-2005, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by: mage
naruto's voice is pretty good IMO.

HELL NO! Dude sounds like a 5 year old girl who smokes.

and wtf was up with
hokage: "iruka"
iruka: "what is it lord hokage?"
man wtf is that why lord hokage and not just hokage?!?!
in a couple of years when the filler eps come to the US you can expect mizuki to say "they're GRRREAT!"

Tiger of The wind
Sat, 09-10-2005, 08:30 PM
i knew you guys would be talking about the premier already

and i totally agree they messed up the voices big time

Knives122
Sat, 09-10-2005, 08:31 PM
welp they fucked up the ending as well

mage
Sat, 09-10-2005, 08:31 PM
The dub isn't so bad, Naruto sounds just fine. The only gripes I have are how they seem to pronounce the names kind of slow and they took out the intro/ending. Mizuki's voice actor seems to be really good as well.

Tinks
Sat, 09-10-2005, 08:39 PM
Yeah I dont think its that bad of a job, I expect the wave arc is going to get butchered though, especially on the bridge scene

LobsterMagnet
Sat, 09-10-2005, 08:43 PM
ARRHHHHH WHY DID they change the opening. They just editied the first and second openings together and added a very stupid electric guitar riff. RIZE RIZE. Almost as bad as the opening song lyrics I created. Overall it's not as bad as I thought but still grrrrr I hate the opening and ending and they called Konoah the village hidden in the leafs. GRRRRR It sucks, just not quite as badly as I originally thought it would.

Knives122
Sat, 09-10-2005, 08:46 PM
hopefully they'll wise up to what we're saying(they have to look at the feedback from this show) and change a couple of things as the episodes go on(like Ucheeeha), can you guys picture them getting to when Itachi rears his head and they're saying "it's you, Itachi Ucheeha"

OmnislashXX
Sat, 09-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Bah. It's crappy. I was going to give it a chance, but man oh man. I can only hope that they put more effort into the next episodes. Damn I want to hear Sasuke's voice. They called it Hidden Leaf Village also. While it is hidden Leaf, I think they should have just used Konoha.

Tinks
Sat, 09-10-2005, 08:49 PM
At least we get the dvds and videogames now

OmnislashXX
Sat, 09-10-2005, 08:52 PM
Ok. I DO like the voice actor who does the Hokage's voice. Oh and uhm... Ganeen?!

Jman
Sat, 09-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by: Tinks
Yeah I dont think its that bad of a job, I expect the wave arc is going to get butchered though, especially on the bridge scene

That's if they didn't edit out the entire wave arc. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif
Guess we'll find out if they made Haku into Hakura.

At least we get the dvds and videogames now
yea that'll be cool. i wish they'd just release narutimett hero2 and the 3rd gc naruto game in english already.

and it seems like they're reruning ep 1 again right now.

mage
Sat, 09-10-2005, 09:00 PM
The dub is pretty good, one of the best I'd say, but we've only seen the first two episodes.

Dezalanel
Sat, 09-10-2005, 09:04 PM
The voices are complete utter crap. Thats all I have to say I could not even force myself to watch the 2nd episode. Everything was just so wrong. English VAs have NO emotion whatsoever in their damn voices it sucks. Iruka is crying in the first episode yet his voice does not change at all....wtf

mage
Sat, 09-10-2005, 09:05 PM
You're an idiot, the voices are good.

Tiger of The wind
Sat, 09-10-2005, 09:06 PM
so i guess their gonna use believe it to replace dattabuyo

so um what does dattabuyo mean anyway

Knives122
Sat, 09-10-2005, 09:09 PM
well Im going to compare the voice in this show to the ones in Justice League:

if you watch the first Justice league eps, you can tell a difference fromt he latest ep(the one with all of them in it) "Divided we fall" the eps in the first season were significantly worse then the ones now(which are good). In other words give the show time, the people who make the show will eventually fix the things that are wrong like they did in JL/JLU.

OmnislashXX
Sat, 09-10-2005, 09:10 PM
Well after seeing the second episode... I have mixed feelings. It's.. ok. Not BAD, not GREAT, but ok. But then again, we haven't gotten to any of the really action packed episodes yet. They cut the nosebleeds out so I have to wonder what they'll do with other scenes where blood is an issue. (i'm kind of wondering about the scene where Naruto stabs his hand and vows not be saved by anyone anymore. )

Naruto's voice : Hmm... well not bad, still isn't as edgy as I think it should be.
I don't really have a problem with anyone else's voices, nut maybe the pronunciation of such things.

My biggest gripe is the changing of opening/closing sequences. They don't change other anime openings/endings, why did they change Naruto? Not really something that was neccessary.

KaneInferno
Sat, 09-10-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by: Knives122
oh and it seems the only person who says naruto right is the tom robot guy before the commercial comes on

What? He says Nay-roo-toe. Thats not how it was in the japanese version. The way they say it in the show is almost the same as the japanese, except for the whole american accent thing, of course.

mage
Sat, 09-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by: KaneInferno

What? He says Nay-roo-toe. Thats not how it was in the japanese version. The way they say it in the show is almost the same as the japanese, except for the whole american accent thing, of course.
Yeah.. Tom is the only one that says it WRONG.

XanBcoo
Sat, 09-10-2005, 09:18 PM
HOLY HELL.

I just watched it, and I'm so disappointed. I'll post more later. I'm catching it on its second run.

Krazyluck
Sat, 09-10-2005, 09:22 PM
I think the reasons for the opening and ending sequences were change is because of time....and the millions of commericals they play. if they had the original sequences it would go over the normal timelimit and cause the world to blow up and crazy stuff like that. On other things I think the VAs arent that bad, hey it could be worse lol, and I wish they would have kept the original technique names that would have been badass instead of CLONE JUTSU! but hey its America. Of course alot of the pronunciations got on my nerves lol, but I did think Kakashi's voice was pretty sexy if you guys caught on to it =P. All in all it wasnt bad actually got a kick out of it cant wait to hear everyone else's voice next weekend.

redemption2MKII
Sat, 09-10-2005, 09:22 PM
pardon me, but what the hell is up with that intro and outtro. I mean, can we even call it that? Do they have names or should I just call them Shit 1 and Shit 2?

Although I do like Crispin Freeman playing Ebisu.

XanBcoo
Sat, 09-10-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by: redemption2MKII
pardon me, but what the hell is up with that intro and outtro. I mean, can we even call it that? Do they have names or should I just call them Shit 1 and Shit 2?

Although I do like Crispin Freeman playing Ebisu.

same here. I'm gonna discuss the actual VAs in the other thread though - after I rewatch it.

Edit:

Originally posted by: AssertnFailure

And as for the people saying they mispronounced "Naruto"...why don't you empty your clipboard of the lines you were waiting to paste ever since you first heard about the show premiering on Cartoon Network, because they actually were pretty accurate with the pronounciations in that clip

That is how it is pronounced in Japanese.

Naruto is pronounced correctly in the dub
with the emphasis on the "Na"

I guess there are more people who say "Narooodoh" than I thought i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

OmnislashXX
Sat, 09-10-2005, 09:35 PM
Soo...... Naruto 151... out this Wednesday..... for godsakes it CAN'T come out soon enough.

Enjoy your time off, you went completely off topic. User is banned for 2 days.

GotWoot Moderator

ChaosK
Sat, 09-10-2005, 10:13 PM
lol, i saw the episode "under naruto uzimaki" yes thats right no uzimaki naruto, naruto uzimaki (fuckin americans)

naruto still sounds like a fucked up chipmonk on crack
i didnt hear them say sasuke but they acctually didnt cut naruto's "henge variation"

and he said

"haha this is my sexy jutsu!"
and at least they said "shadow clone jutsu!"
in stead of "doppleganger technique! ROAR!"

konohamaru pretty much is the same (yes i cant believe i also sat through part of the 2nd episode.)
there was no blood what so ever, even though theres a shuriken the size of my wang on top of iruka.

and i love how the "special trainer teacher of konohamaru" is still an idiot. (oh wait its ebisu)

and sooner or later we get to see harem no jutsu (hopefully)

uhh yeah, i watched this once but never again.

thoregundi
Sat, 09-10-2005, 10:13 PM
Isnt the 3rds voice the one dude from cowboy bebop ? I think its cool, Sakuras voice is cool, i like the dub!, but the only that gets me is the changes in the names of the techniques and how they say hidden village in the leaves

XanBcoo
Sat, 09-10-2005, 10:18 PM
Chaoskiddo, Naruto's name is Naruto Uzamaki... Do you know nothing of Japanese culture?

Also, there is an english site for Naruto with another trailer. http://naruto.viz.com/intro.html. Looks good. The trailer pronounces all the names correctly. Very nice.

I'm glad they used Logical translation for the attack names. Not like the shit translation of the manga produced by Viz. Hearing "Sexy Jutsu" was much better than "Ninja Centerfold"

I'm browsing other forums, seems like the Dub was a success. People have a few problems w/Naruto's voice, but on the whole, people love it so far.

mage
Sat, 09-10-2005, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by: Chaoskiddo
lol, i saw the episode "under naruto uzimaki" yes thats right no uzimaki naruto, naruto uzimaki (fuckin americans)

naruto still sounds like a fucked up chipmonk on crack
i didnt hear them say sasuke but they acctually didnt cut naruto's "henge variation"

and he said

"haha this is my sexy jutsu!"
and at least they said "shadow clone jutsu!"
in stead of "doppleganger technique! ROAR!"

konohamaru pretty much is the same (yes i cant believe i also sat through part of the 2nd episode.)
there was no blood what so ever, even though theres a shuriken the size of my wang on top of iruka.

and i love how the "special trainer teacher of konohamaru" is still an idiot. (oh wait its ebisu)

and sooner or later we get to see harem no jutsu (hopefully)

uhh yeah, i watched this once but never again.
You're fuckin stupid dude. First off, Naruto is his FIRST name, second, the only blood that was edited out was the blood that Iruka spat out onto Naruto (aside from the nose bleeds).

nests
Sun, 09-11-2005, 01:30 AM
The translation to english was actually pretty good better than the english manga. it also looks like they are going to leave genin and the other ranks alone.
The voices are hard to get used to especially Naruto's. About the only thing that I totally disliked about it was that they took out the intro and ending song "whats up with that" and the intro for the first series was in english too. But I am not going to complain anymore since I am a HUGE Naruto fan I am going to keep watching it anyway even if it had been total shit and I'll probably end up buying it when the uncensored dvds come out.
Oh yeah how is it that they say Sasuke's name right and not Naruto's, when Sasuke's is spelled differently than how it sounds.

XanBcoo
Sun, 09-11-2005, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by: nests
Oh yeah how is it that they say Sasuke's name right and not Naruto's, when Sasuke's is spelled differently than how it sounds.

Oh my fucking God I'm going to shoot myself. Your post was good until that last sentence.

EDIT: Here is a link to a torrent site where you can get the first two episodes dubbed if anyone missed it: http://www.mininova.org/. To the below post: Blum is doing Zabuza, check out the other thread for more VA info.

mr3vi1m0nk3y
Sun, 09-11-2005, 02:36 AM
the voices were pretty bad. contined exposue to naruto's voice causes massive brain hemorrhaging. ebisu sounds like and idiot as does konohamaru. iruka and mizuki are a little bit better which isnt saying much cause they are still bad. and sakura sounds like more of a whiny bitch then in the japanese version. the only decent voice acting was the sandaime. overall i dont have much faith for the rest of the show. as for the dialog they didnt change much, however they completly fucked up the part where naruto tells konohamaru there are no shortcuts to being hokage. bad editing coupled with horrible voice acting and the whole thing lost all of its effect. if i hadnt watched the original japanese version i probably woundn't have watched this anime again. anyway i heard that the VA who did spike in cowboy bebop is going to do zabuza or kakashi. is this just rumor or did anyone else hear this?

Cyberdude93
Sun, 09-11-2005, 05:14 AM
I love it how when I stroll over to a 4kids' One Piece topic on another message board I see a bunch of people saying they can't even WATCH American OP now they've seen the Naruto dub =P

Although I haven't seen the episode yet (bittorrent isn't too fast...) the trailer seems fine. I know they make more than one mistake, but the only thing I'm worried about is how they pronounce Hinata. A bit like the difference between Vivi in the Japanese and American versions of One Piece.

And where the hell did we hear that they were keeping the openings/endings in the first place? Someone started a topic on it but gave no source, even when I asked for one...

Tinks
Sun, 09-11-2005, 01:42 PM
Do people realize when talking of pronunciation just how different the Japanese pronounce certain letters? Like r's are pronounced similar to d's

Samehada
Sun, 09-11-2005, 02:54 PM
xanbcoo - the thing about the pronounciation of naruto's name is that it blatently is different from the japanese version, you only have to listen to it to hear it. The japanese is like NA-RU-TO and the English is like NAR-RU-TO. The letter 'a' in the first syllable sounds too 'R' like as opposed to more like NAH-RU-TO for the Japanese, if you get what I mean.

And the difference is annoying

XanBcoo
Sun, 09-11-2005, 03:07 PM
That's difference is due to accent. No matter how hard the voice actors try, they are not going to sound 100% authentic japanese, because they are American. I don't understand what you want them to do. If they put on a japanese accent, it would fucking ruin the dub and you know it. Imagine the English Iruka with a japanese accent. THAT would suck.

No no, my point is that countless people have thought that Naruto was pronounced Na-roo-dough. Which is completely wrong. At least their stressing the right part of the name.

Samehada
Sun, 09-11-2005, 03:24 PM
Xanbcoo - I don't agree that its accent. How hard is it to say NAH instead of NAR? or are Americans even more stupid than I thought? Japanese accent doesn't come into it at all. I am just saying that although it is a minor complaint and they could have done worse with naruto's name, as you have said, it is still enough to irritate me cos it just sounds wrong.

XanBcoo
Sun, 09-11-2005, 04:48 PM
It's the accent.

I PM'd you, let's not take up any more space here arguing...

Cyberdude93
Sun, 09-11-2005, 05:07 PM
I think you're both wrong. It IS the accent, but it DOES suck for them not to do it. It's like a default, not a restriction. I'm not asking the VAs to roll their Rs or whatever it is the Japanese do, but it's a vowel. I can sure as hell pronounce it both ways and if you don't mind me saying, I reckon I do an equally good (or bad =P) job of both of them.

And don't do this over PM, publicised arguments rock =P

XanBcoo
Sun, 09-11-2005, 05:34 PM
I guess it's just my opinion that if the American Voice Actors pronounced the "r" as they do in Japanese, it would sound silly. There is a fandub of Naruto in which they do this, and it is laughably bad.

Whatever though.

Cyberdude93
Sun, 09-11-2005, 06:48 PM
I guess it's just my opinion that if the American Voice Actors pronounced the "r" as they do in Japanese, it would sound silly. There is a fandub of Naruto in which they do this, and it is laughably bad.

Whatever though.

Er, I may be mistaken but I don't think Samehada is on about the Rs, more the pronounciation of the 'a'. Hell if I was describing the difference in the pronounciation of the 'a's, I'd say NAH and NAR. It isn't really anything to DO with the R though. Think of how they pronounce Chopper in One Piece. It's Chop-ah, there IS no R. Not saying there isn't a pronouncable R in Naruto, but I assumed he wasn't talking about that.

Damn I suck at explaining things. Okay, if you've seen both versions of One Piece, I'm thinking of the difference between how the Japanese and Americans pronounce the 'a' in Nami and Sanji.

Tinks
Sun, 09-11-2005, 09:27 PM
The only thing you can even really complain about is the intro and endings, alot of work was put into them and they did a really amazing job with them, now they strip it of the music and demolish the intros
Bands like Asian Kung Fu Generation and other bands wont be heard I assume, its like taking The Pillows out of FLCL

Necromas
Sun, 09-11-2005, 10:03 PM
What I did NOT like about it:

-The VA's didnt match the japanese ones very well at all, and Narutos was particularly annoying because he sounded like an 8 year old girl with asthma.

-So much blood was edited out, even the nose bleeds, I mean COME ON its only a nose bleed! Like Iruka gets impaled in the back with a giant shuriken, and NO blood comes out right away.

-The openings and endings were butchered, though at least the pain was shortlived because they made them like 30 seconds long.

-The pronunciations were wierd, Genin -> Ga-neen, and most of the names were minorly changes in pronunciation to follow more english pronunciation rules.

What I DID like about it:

-It's Naruto, come on, Naruto owns.

-After a while, you manage to stop assuming the characters will sound like the Japanese VA's, and the voice acting suddenly isn't that bad.

-Uh.... it really wasn't that bad overall.

So, overall I think they did a DECENT job, could have done better, thank god they didn't do worse.

P.S. The Kenshin thing with "That I am." after everything he said actually was a good thing to add to his character, they really pulled that one off.

Phoenix20578
Sun, 09-11-2005, 10:07 PM
About the nose bleed, they edited that out because its "a lude sexual reference" I still don't know what thier talking about i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Necromas
Sun, 09-11-2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by: Phoenix20578
About the nose bleed, they edited that out because its "a lude sexual reference" I still don't know what thier talking about

Okay, boys transforming into NAKED babes with nothing but clouds over their titties is not sexually lude, but a man getting a nose bleed from it IS???

Phoenix20578
Sun, 09-11-2005, 10:17 PM
Welcome to America, where slight nudity is ok, but representation of getting off is not.

XanBcoo
Sun, 09-11-2005, 10:34 PM
I think the nosebleed thing is one of three things:

1. It's blood: and that's a no-no
2. What Phoenix just said: no sex either
3. It's a cultural reference that most people watching Toonami won't understand

Y
Sun, 09-11-2005, 10:36 PM
It's the first reason. The sex joke was left in, obviously, and since blood edits were done earlier in the episode, then it stands to reason that this edit is because of blood. Of course, why bother even airing this series cut when the entire series is about punching people until they bleed a lot and die? Who knows.

Necromas
Sun, 09-11-2005, 10:38 PM
I think the nosebleed thing is one of three things:

1. It's blood: and that's a no-no
2. What Phoenix just said: no sex either
3. It's a cultural reference that most people watching Toonami won't understand

They DID leave blood in though, for Irukas wounds and stuff, which is why I'm saying if they allowed some blood, why not allow the least goreish part?

Phoenix20578
Sun, 09-11-2005, 10:47 PM
Think about it. In Naruto, people are getting cut on a constant basis.No blood from a stab wound is kinda odd.

Necromas
Mon, 09-12-2005, 04:46 PM
Also, one good thing, was they actually did keep some blood in, instead of making it look like oil. (ravemaster, I'm looking at you, and these aren't my happy eyes)

Jman
Wed, 09-14-2005, 07:52 PM
fuck dubs. real talk

ChaosK
Wed, 09-14-2005, 07:52 PM
damn right! you tell them!

XanBcoo
Wed, 09-14-2005, 10:33 PM
Yeah, let's talk about the fucking bikouchu instead i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Necromas
Sat, 09-17-2005, 08:16 PM
Well it looks like at least Sasukes voice is good, and Sakuras is okay.

Tiger of The wind
Sat, 09-17-2005, 08:21 PM
they cut the kiss the girls react to a bunch of smooching sounds lol

Necromas
Sun, 09-18-2005, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by: Tiger of The wind
they cut the kiss the girls react to a bunch of smooching sounds lol

Are you SERIOUS? (I wasnt looking at the TV during that part)

Tiger of The wind
Sun, 09-18-2005, 10:10 PM
yep the smooching sounds from the kiss are there but not the scene

XanBcoo
Sun, 09-18-2005, 10:13 PM
It doesn't really take away from the scene at all. The joke is exactly the same, you just don't see the hot NarutoxSasuke action you crave so.

Sasuke's voice...meh. A little too aloof and not enough arrogance. Otherwise he's tollerable.

The Heretic Azazel
Mon, 09-19-2005, 04:29 PM
Yeah, you guys sure are worried about not getting to see some Yaoi action in the English dub.

Fags.

mage
Mon, 09-19-2005, 06:28 PM
it's just like they actually edited it out, not that we care to see it.

The Heretic Azazel
Tue, 09-20-2005, 10:28 AM
Shikamaru's voice sucks... he doesn't sound lazy enough. And the Hokage is really devoid of emotion. Sakura's a little whiny but everyting else sounds alright to me.

Jurojin
Tue, 09-20-2005, 11:58 AM
Let's go by the numbers:

Naruto- bad
Sakura- not bad
Inner-Sakura- HORRID. Saying random gibberish before the rest is just shitty.
Sasuke- not bad, needs more angst.

Ino- not bad
Shika- needs improvement
Chouji- OMFG the guy sounds totally off i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Kakashi- will need to see him speak more next episode before I form an opinion.

I swear to god if they ruin Rock Lee's voice I'll kill them all.

Lucifus
Sun, 09-25-2005, 12:26 AM
Uh........Crap...Posted something inappropriate....Not sure how to delete mesage.... =/

kooshi
Sun, 09-25-2005, 12:30 AM
Media-wise, anyways. Why bother censoring that much in TV? The kids these days already sneak into R-rated movies and listen to music that has profanity, killing others, and etc.