PDA

View Full Version : How not to get caught

ChiaCheese
Wed, 08-24-2005, 05:21 AM
so i was reading through this thread (http://forums.gotwoot.net/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=15914&enterthrea d=y) and it got me wondering. What do you people use so you don't get caught downloading TV shows and such. i ask because so far i mostly just download fansubs and TV shows that aren't on dvd but if they're going to start cracking down on that stuff now it got me kinda worried. All i use is bittornado and that's it. So if anybody has any tips or tricks or programs that should be used to keep out prying eyes it would be much appreciated.

Y
Thu, 08-25-2005, 07:22 PM
Bit Torrent connects to other clients through IP addresses; when you connect to a torrent your IP address (in order for BT to work) is always visible to anyone who connects to you. The MPAA/RIAA can easily just hop onto torrents and get lists of all the IPs sharing the file, then inform the providers about their downloading. Programs that claim to shield you from detection merely block out known lists of IP addresses used by those organizations, and of course they can track you with different connections.

When you share a file on a public torrent site you are displaying the fact that the computer with your IP has that file on it, and that's all the info needed to get you. So basically, don't use public torrent sites, please.

ChiaCheese
Fri, 08-26-2005, 06:16 AM
how do you know which are public and which are private? i pretty much get everything from gotwoot, bakka updates and myspleen.net (which is the only one that requires a password). i used to do suprnova and its clones way back when i first started with bit torrent but i stay clear of those places now. like i said before, i mostly just use bit torrent for fansubs and TV shows that aren't on DVD. i kinda use it like tivo sometimes too. like i was out of town last week so i had to download all my shows that i missed.

Munsu
Fri, 08-26-2005, 12:23 PM
I'll guarantee you that every torrent you use is public...

If you are worried about anime, you can get almost everything, especially new releases off IRC which I think is safer for what you are looking for...

For TV Shows, now I don't know how to get them besides torrents or some peer-to-peer program equivalent to kazaa...

What I think these organizations are looking for are for people that upload these files more than the people that download them... So when you use bittorrent, you are essentially uploading and downloading...

Y
Fri, 08-26-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by: ChiaCheese
how do you know which are public and which are private? i pretty much get everything from gotwoot, bakka updates and myspleen.net (which is the only one that requires a password). i used to do suprnova and its clones way back when i first started with bit torrent but i stay clear of those places now. like i said before, i mostly just use bit torrent for fansubs and TV shows that aren't on DVD. i kinda use it like tivo sometimes too. like i was out of town last week so i had to download all my shows that i missed.

If you can post about it here, it's a public tracker.

Anime downloading is pretty much a safe deal. Licensing companies in America don't have the money or legal clout to sue ISPs for information about IPs sharing their copyrighted files, so they issue cease and desist orders to trackers instead, and this generally works out well.

littlehippie
Wed, 09-21-2005, 10:19 PM
So what youre saying is that its not illegal to download anime? Or just that I will most likely not get in trouble? Also I would like a legal download site if you have one. Thanks.

complich8
Wed, 09-21-2005, 11:32 PM
no, no, it's quite illegal, for what that's worth.

You're just very unlikely to get into trouble for it, because the anime dvd business is a lot more tolerant of casual infringement than the movie and music industries are.

littlehippie
Fri, 09-23-2005, 06:08 PM
thanks a bunch