PDA

View Full Version : 400 old DOS games

samsonlonghair
Fri, 08-12-2005, 12:57 AM
I'm an odd individual, so I prefer a game with originalty over amazing graphics. You'll more often find me playing an emulator than a Gran Turismo game. I saw this link on Fark the other day, and I couldn't believe how many of these ancient games are still fun to play. Of course, it helps that all this stuff is free.

Click (http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/1637)

Don't brush this off. If you've never played these games you're missing out. It takes considerably more skill to play these than some Soul Calibur game that you spend fifty bucks on and beat the next day. I'm sure someone will laugh at the notion of going back to play these games, but those who laugh are the ones missing out.

Xollence
Fri, 08-12-2005, 03:17 AM
Hehe I used to own at Duke Nukem 3D back when the TEN network was still around.

NM
Fri, 08-12-2005, 08:17 AM
I used to play Commander Keen alot and my brother seemed to be hooked on Hugo's House of Horrors for some reason, lol. But wow, they even have Wacky Wheels! That was like my first game I ever played on my computer. This is a really nice find you have here samson! I like taking a look back at all the old games from the good old days. The SNES Emulator is a great tool to have. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif But I think I'll play some of these games again.

Terracosmo
Fri, 08-12-2005, 08:28 AM
DOS games rule. Commander Keen, Duke Nukem, all the Lucasarts adventures...

I want to replay Sam & Max i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Paulyboy
Fri, 08-12-2005, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by: samsonlonghair
I'm an odd individual, so I prefer a game with originalty over amazing graphics. You'll more often find me playing an emulator than a Gran Turismo game. I saw this link on Fark the other day, and I couldn't believe how many of these ancient games are still fun to play. Of course, it helps that all this stuff is free.

Click (http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/1637)

Don't brush this off. If you've never played these games you're missing out. It takes considerably more skill to play these than some Soul Calibur game that you spend fifty bucks on and beat the next day. I'm sure someone will laugh at the notion of going back to play these games, but those who laugh are the ones missing out.

Dude, nice freaking find man. Yah Duke Nukem and Lucas Arts games I also have the original Dark Night game its kick ass

Xollence
Fri, 08-12-2005, 02:26 PM
Haha Wacky Wheels was such a great game. I remember playing on the same keyboard with my friend. Gauntlet was great too, 4 people squeezing into one keyboard, gotta love old dos games.

NM
Sat, 08-13-2005, 08:31 PM
Yeah man, me and my bro always used to play each other in Wacky Wheels. So much fun. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

I'm currently replaying Wolfenstein 3D. Has anyone here ever played Hocus Pocus? That was an awesome game as well. I think I'll check out the first Jazz Jackrabbit to, I loved the opening music to it.

kooshi
Sat, 08-13-2005, 10:55 PM
Damn, was hoping that they would have Star Reach i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Roko
Mon, 08-15-2005, 01:33 AM
Awesome Find!! This brings back soo many old memories...how I miss those good times. Was kinda hoping that they would have Stunts, which was like my favorite of them all

Xollence
Mon, 08-15-2005, 02:42 AM
It's so weird how I bought some of these games for 40-50 bucks and now they're free to download.

samsonlonghair
Tue, 08-16-2005, 01:10 AM
Wow, I'm glad to see that there are so many people here who can appreciate these old games.

Koyuki
Thu, 08-18-2005, 10:19 AM
The really good DOS games were adventure. Really good stories and fun, also a lot of humor. It's hard to find good adventure games these days.
Dunno know if anyone remember Beast Wars? I miss that game

ChaosK
Thu, 08-18-2005, 02:46 PM
i dont know if this is a dos game but i use to love the game scorch (where your this tiny tank and you fight other tiny thanks with like nukes and shit)

masamuneehs
Fri, 08-19-2005, 05:13 PM
Commander Keen! Hugo!

Ahh the old goodies! Come to daddy!

ChiaCheese
Tue, 08-30-2005, 06:15 AM
RISE OF THE TRIAD!!!!!!!! best godmode ever!

Raven
Tue, 08-30-2005, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by: NarutoMaster
But wow, they even have Wacky Wheels! That was like my first game I ever played on my computer. This is a really nice find you have here samson!

Has anyone here ever played Hocus Pocus?
Hooray for Wacky Wheels and Hocus Pocus! Aah, the amount of hours I wasted away playing those amoung many others ... wasted? Wrong word to use there. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Originally posted by: ChiaCheese
RISE OF THE TRIAD!!!!!!!! best godmode ever!
Yes! haha *yawns in a God-like fashion*

*Happy sigh* Memories. Thanks Samson. Great link.

NM
Tue, 08-30-2005, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by: CmDr_RavEn

Originally posted by: NarutoMaster
But wow, they even have Wacky Wheels! That was like my first game I ever played on my computer. This is a really nice find you have here samson!

Has anyone here ever played Hocus Pocus?
Hooray for Wacky Wheels and Hocus Pocus! Aah, the amount of hours I wasted away playing those amoung many others ... wasted? Wrong word to use there.

Amen. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

XwingRob
Sat, 09-03-2005, 12:44 PM
I'm currently playing X-Com: UFO defense. Such an amazing old game...

samsonlonghair
Thu, 09-07-2006, 11:21 PM
I was on Digg tonight, and I saw a link about some more old DOS games and Llayable Demos. Because this was so well recieved last time, I thought I might revive this thread.

DOS Games Archive (http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/list/) has 234 gmaes available.
Abandonia (http://www.abandonia.com/genre.php?genre=allgames) has a whole bunch of DOS games and other abandonware.

Obviously there's going to be some overlap with lists this long, but I think there's a fair amount of stuff that wasn't covered before. Enjoy.

Bucket
Sat, 09-09-2006, 02:36 AM
I really didn't have a PC until around the mid-90's. We used a Commodore 64 up until then. It worked out, though, because C64 games were light years ahead of their time.

samsonlonghair
Sat, 09-09-2006, 06:04 PM
Ah, Commodore. How I remember thee. My elementary school had a couple of VIC-20s that I always enjoyed messing with.

For some reason that school never understood the notion of uniformity in with computers. Our computer lab had an assortment of Apple ][e, VIC-20, and even one old Texas Instruments TI-90A. When we had time in the computer lab the teacher couldn't instruct us because all the kids were on different computers.

KitKat
Sat, 09-09-2006, 06:45 PM
I grew up on C64 games too. My little brother learned to spell before he went to kindergarten because he wanted to be able to play games without having to get someone to help him. He was really good at spelling 'save' and 'load'. I finally got a C64 emulator last year and found all my favourite childhood games again, like Wizard, Space Taxi, Impossible Mission, and Blueprint.

Genma
Sat, 09-09-2006, 07:26 PM
Gawd, I wish they had Quest for Glory IV. I loved that game. :[

XanBcoo
Sat, 09-09-2006, 08:54 PM
Just played/beat Hugo 3.

Still ridiculously easy, yet sort of complicated at parts (like when you have to make the voodoo doll). I remember it being a lot longer when I was little.