PDA

View Full Version : Street Fighter Vs King of Fighters

Psyke
Tue, 08-09-2005, 01:23 AM
I'm inspired by the other Tekken vs SC thread, so here goes!

I've been a SF fan till SF Zero 2. I loved the EX series, but didn't really like SF3. I was playing SF Zero 2 till death when KOF 97 came along and I never looked back. Been a KOFer ever since, and even wrote some FAQs back then. It's not about the graphics, and all about the game play. Sure the SF games had great animation and graphics, but it couldn't match the gameplay of the KOF games.

I'm not sure about you guys, but here in Asian arcades the KOF games are the crowded ones, where everybody gathers and watches when 2 experts are fighting it out. Just watch 2 pros play and you'll understand the sheer excitement and difference in pace from the SF games. KOF is not meant to be played alone. It's not as deep as the 3D fighters in terms of moves, but the depth of the games is still pretty much amazing. Every character can be mastered, so like in SF Zero 3 where some characters are simply overpowered or under powered.

Just my 2 cents. I like Street Fighter but I've grown to love KOF. Haven't been playing much these past 2 years, but I used to play KOF 97 and 98 every day back in school.

Kenzaburo
Tue, 08-09-2005, 02:00 AM
Hm...I always liked SF because of the characters, always preferred a Chun-Li over a Mai. But there's one bigass problem I had with SF (don't remember about KOF, but I think it was the same there): Most of the standard and higher grade moves had to be don with rolling a semi-circle on the control pad. So after 2 hours of playing straight my thumb would start to hurt. After playing one day I started bandaging it. Semi-circles on the friggin' controller make me hate every beat'em up nowadays.

Terracosmo
Tue, 08-09-2005, 03:58 AM
Kenzaburo, your controller must suck badly (or you need more practice).

I go with King of Fighters, easily. While I grew up with Street Fighter and I have an enormous amount of memories from that franchise, KoF is really superior in every aspect. Characters, story, gameplay, design, variety... everything. Every new KoF really feels like a new game, unlike with Street Fighter where every sequel just feels like a slight rehash. And as Psyke says it's a whole other thing when two pros duke it out than it is in any SF. The KoF series is probably the second deepest 2D fighting series after Guilty Gear, which is a great title to have and another reason to why I love it.

The latest KoFs have been pretty boring though (2001-2003). 2000 was great though, and I really loved 97 & 99 as well. 98 was my favorite. 96 was pretty cool too because it had awesome music i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Edit: Man I love that fight towards the end in '97 when you fight the New Faces Team with that "doomsday" music playing (any person who's played it will know what I mean). The background has purple flames and stuff in it too. That was a really cool fight, '97 had my personal favorite story by far. Also, it introduced Shingo i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif SHIIINGO KIIICKKUUU!

kooshi
Tue, 08-09-2005, 02:38 PM
I'm pretty much the same as you guys as well. I grew up playing SF to death, but KoF is the choice for me. I find it disappointing that I never had the chance of playing KoF as much as I'd liked since I was only able to play it at the arcades.
Still, Capcom vs SNK 2 is my favorite fighting game at the moment. I just love my KoF fighters beat the crap out of the SF ones, haha.

Enderz
Mon, 08-15-2005, 04:49 AM
Sf was one of my first game cant let it down and i havent played kof much so sf is my choice

Thu, 08-18-2005, 10:42 AM
you kofers are mislead troubled teenagers...

if you don't put sf over sex, you got a problem...

nests
Thu, 08-18-2005, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by: 010577

I dont even put KOF over sex but I do think it is a lot better the SF the reason every character is different unlike SF wich just has a lot of copys of each other.
another thing the SF have an actual storyline because because if it did I never knew what it was unlike KOF wich has a cool story line at least for a figthing game
I can go on and on about why KOF is better but most of you seem to agree
By the way Terracosmo 2003 is freaking awsome is my favorite since 98

Nai
Fri, 08-19-2005, 08:42 AM
King of Fighters.

Duo Lon is beyond sexy. In fact, he's so sexy that I simply collapse each and every time I see him move. Sexy, sexy Duo Lon.
http://kattuggla.oru.se/dmd01/dm0103/test/fighters/kf_duolon.gif
*Swoon*

Terracosmo
Fri, 08-19-2005, 08:56 AM
nests I agree that 2k3 is pretty nice actually. I've been playing it more recently, and it does wipe the floor with 2k1 & 2k2.

Nai, as usual (*omfg sounds here*) you think the same as me. Duo Lon RULES. I had random pictures of him on my MSN display for so long that people began to question my heterosexuality (which is also quite usual).

Fri, 08-19-2005, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by: nests

I dont even put KOF over sex but I do think it is a lot better the SF the reason every character is different unlike SF wich just has a lot of copys of each other.
another thing the SF have an actual storyline because because if it did I never knew what it was unlike KOF wich has a cool story line at least for a figthing game
I can go on and on about why KOF is better but most of you seem to agree
By the way Terracosmo 2003 is freaking awsome is my favorite since 98

street fighter has a storyline! an anime

Psyke
Fri, 08-19-2005, 10:33 AM
street fighter has a storyline! an anime

Yup but it's still the same old thing. I like the story arc of Ryu and Gouki, with Ryu being lured by Gouki into using the Satsui no Hado. But the other animes which has Ken turning bad is pretty much boring, and the other support characters are only there for variety.

The Orochi story of KOF seems more interesting, with a similar concept as the Satsui no Hado but being termed as the Blood Riot. Rival clans of the Kusanagi and Yagami battling it out with Orochi being the evil that ultimately brings Kyo and Iori, bearing of the Sun and Moon crest together.

Who am I kidding........... KOF just has better gameplay : )

ChaosK
Fri, 08-19-2005, 03:14 PM
street fighter...yay!

but yes KOF has better gameplay but

streetfighter!

shinku-haduken!

(yeeah, but yes KOF is better but i'm more of a street figher fan)

nests
Wed, 08-24-2005, 01:48 AM
Wow nice to see there is some actual Duo Lon fans, even though I think he looks pretty weird he is with out a doubt my best charater in KOF03 but stiil the number one reason KOF is better than SF is IORI YAGAMI

RedX1z
Sun, 09-25-2005, 10:35 PM
king of fighter>street fighter. reason being street fighter's gameplay seem to get more boring and boring everytime, and it's something that i've been playing since 6-7, king of fighter has better gameplay i guess and is more challenging

kAi
Mon, 09-26-2005, 09:34 AM
I rather Street Fighter over KoF, I've played it a fair amount of times, but I just didn't get into it as much as I did SF.

Haven't played either game in years, except one time this year, when I was suprised no one at the arcade was on KoF, so I had a go.