PDA

View Full Version : Soul Blade/Calibur VS Tekken

Terracosmo
Sun, 08-07-2005, 02:55 AM
So which one of Namco's bestselling fighting game series do you prefer?
I figure since these games seem to have quite a following everywhere (here too), why not make up a poll for it?
My views:

Story: Soul Calibur
- Tekken has some interesting characters that keep the story rolling, but the whole "let's make another tournament" gig gets old. SC feels like it progresses, characters evolve and find out truths about the cursed blade and so on.

Characters: Soul Calibur
- Tekken has a lot of good characters. Soul Calibur however has less, but in turn the characters in those games feel a lot more deep (both gameplay & storywise). You can't go wrong with Siegfried. Too bad though, Tekken has many intriguating characters but Namco doesn't seem to bother using that to it's full potential (Jin & Asuka are supposed to be cousins, yet they don't talk to each other in the whole game! except when Jin drives his head down her cleavage of course).

Unlockables: Tekken
- Sure, SC has all those weapons and other neat stuff. But still, Tekken feels more rewarding, since the movies are so awesome. SC doesn't have movies, which feels very cheap - just a few uncolored pages as endings.

Music: Soul Calibur
- Tekken's soundtrack blows goat. Fucking wannabe monotony techno. I almost went insane in Devil Within because of the annoying music. Give me SC's operatic pieces any day. They are great.

The Lasting Factor: Soul Calibur
- SC games generally take more time to unlock everything in, and in addition (as I said before), each character is deeper than those in Tekken. To me this makes it so SC lasts longer, since I really like mastering the characters that I enjoy using.

So yeah, SC wins by far for me. I just hope SC3 can keep up the awesomeness.
By the way, I love Tekken lots too - but SC just beats it to the ground.

hopeknight
Sun, 08-07-2005, 03:18 AM
Soul Calibur all the way. I never really got into Tekken, but I'be been following the Soul Calibur series since Soul Blade and love it to pieces.

mage
Sun, 08-07-2005, 03:23 AM
Soul Calibur is by far the best fighting game ever made. It takes 1000x more skill than any Tekken game.

Mut
Sun, 08-07-2005, 04:10 AM
Tekken. Any other answer is incorrect.

basey44
Sun, 08-07-2005, 05:11 AM
mut how could u be so wrong, soul calibur for sure

Dezalanel
Sun, 08-07-2005, 02:06 PM
Tekken. And anyone who says it takes more skill to play Soul Calibur is a complete idiot.

Terracosmo
Sun, 08-07-2005, 02:12 PM
It doesn't take more skill to PLAY Soul Calibur.
It takes more skill to MASTER it.

Anyone who says otherwise is wrong, or if you prefer, an idiot.

complich8
Sun, 08-07-2005, 05:41 PM
I prefer soul calibur controls to tekken controls, for two reasons:

(1) They make sense. They're not excessively technical, so you can be decent without attaining perfection. (Lower learning curve).
(2) King. Throw. Throw. Throw. Throw. Throw. Throw. Round 2. Throw. Throw. Throw. Throw. Throw. Throw. You lose.

Any game that a character get an infinite unbreakable chain of throws as long as they press the right buttons is just simply broken. I mean, like DOA wave-dash broken.

darkshadow
Sun, 08-07-2005, 07:14 PM
story: soul calibur

characters: soul calibur

unlockables: soul calibur
with this i mean soul calibur 1 ofcourse, which had the most awesome picture gallery!!!

music: soul calibur

overall: soul calibur i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Mut
Sun, 08-07-2005, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by: complich8
I prefer soul calibur controls to tekken controls, for two reasons:

(1) They make sense. They're not excessively technical, so you can be decent without attaining perfection. (Lower learning curve).

I guess each button being assigned to each limb (left and right arms and legs) is too hard for comp i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

(2) King. Throw. Throw. Throw. Throw. Throw. Throw. Round 2. Throw. Throw. Throw. Throw. Throw. Throw. You lose.

Any game that a character get an infinite unbreakable chain of throws as long as they press the right buttons is just simply broken. I mean, like DOA wave-dash broken.
Except, 90% of the linking throws can be escaped by pressing a one or two buttons, and that's just not for King, it's anyone who has chain throws.

YES GO BIAS OPINIONS WITHOUT ANY KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THE SUBJECT!

i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

stos289
Sun, 08-07-2005, 08:01 PM
You guys forgot about Virtua Fighter! Even though the story (if there is one) kind of sucks, the fighting system is one of the best out there. Try button mashing with Akira and you'll be either standing helpless or just get a worthless kick. I believe that Virtua Fighter would be a more worthy opponent to Soul Caiber than Tekken because of its awesome gameplay and amazing graphics (Virtua Fighter 4). Out of the categories Terra displayed, Story is the only one where Virtua Fighter lacks.

In relation to the actual topic of the thread, Soul Caliber would have to beat Tekken. Although I'll always be a fan of "Iron Fist Tournament," Soul Caliber 2 really was a fun game to play becase of its variety of characters and interest of "weapon-based" fighting rather than standard "fist fighting."

Mut
Sun, 08-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Only real men enjoy fist fighting.

basey44
Sun, 08-07-2005, 08:24 PM
you know wat i was dissapointed with in SC2? the endings. only like 1 of them had the character turing evil because of the sword at the end, and that was like cervantis i think. i mean come on, in SC1 half of the characters turned evil because of the sword and went on killing sprees, or tried to conquor the world and stuff, instead of this good guy stuff. REALLY dissapointed with nightmares end, instead of him finally getting all the power hes dreamed of and slaughtering everyone, he realises the error of his way through some fragment of wats left of his soul, and he throws the sword down a crevass

edit to below: pfft raphael, everyone knows kilik (http://www.soulcalibur.com/history/kilik.php) is the best

Nai
Sun, 08-07-2005, 08:32 PM
Soul Calibur without a doubt.

Why? Well, Soul Calibur II had Raphael (http://www.soulcalibur.com/history/raphael.php), which is without a doubt my favorite character in any fighting game. Yes, I do have an unhealthy rapier fetish. The music, is without a doubt gorgeous. The characters also are a lot deeper in Soul Calibur than in Tekken and I wastly prefer Soul Calibur's story mode.

But the biggest deciding factor? Soul Calibur III will have completely customizabile characters. Yes, you will be able to design your very own fighter from scratch. Now, how utterly badass isn't that? I really can't wait for this game.

Originally posted by: Terracosmo
It doesn't take more skill to PLAY Soul Calibur.
It takes more skill to MASTER it.
Indeed. Mastering a character in Soul Calibur is quite an experience. Personally I have mastered Raphael after years of playing exclusively with him in Soul Calibur II, and boy does it feel good to utterly decimate my friends with his graceful movements.

Mut
Sun, 08-07-2005, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by: Nai
But the biggest deciding factor? Soul Calibur III will have completely customizabile characters. Yes, you will be able to design your very own fighter from scratch. Now, how utterly badass isn't that? I really can't wait for this game.
Tekken 5 has customizable characters too. However, I don't know if it's as in depth as SC3. Then again, I don't even know what SC3 let's you do.

Nai
Sun, 08-07-2005, 09:10 PM
Watch the "Character Creation" video here (http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1558) to get a good idea of just how much stuff you can do.

This is really the one aspect which has me most excited about SCIII.

masamuneehs
Sun, 08-07-2005, 09:52 PM
Soul Caliber is near and dear to me as I love weapons. I have spent a shit load of dollars at the arcade playing it before I bought it for PS2. My favorite is Nightmare/Siegried, which is not surprising since he is just so damn badass its freaky. Next I like Yoshimitsu and Berserker (aka Rock from SoulCaliber 1) because nobody plays them and Yoshi messes with peoples minds.

But Tekken gets my vote because I always felt that the wider variety of characters makes the game a lot deeper than SC. I was hopelessly addicted to Tag when it came out on PS2 debut and have bought all the others since. My favorite character is Yoshimitsu, because he has a sword and that is both cheap (if you use the sword attacks as much as I do) and kickass.

complich8
Mon, 08-08-2005, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by: Mut@chi
Except, 90% of the linking throws can be escaped by pressing a one or two buttons, and that's just not for King, it's anyone who has chain throws.

90%? What about the other 10%?

And the arms/legs thing is just a strange paradigm.

Sure, my opinion is biased. Because I didn't enjoy the couple hours I spent trying to learn tekken, and I enjoyed soul calibur and sc2 from the instant I picked up the controller, through to a fairly deep game.

I'm not going to torture myself playing a game I don't like for hours on end because some jerkass on the internet thinks it's better than the things I DO enjoy. Hence, SC2 is better. Maybe not for you, but for me, for sure.

Mut
Mon, 08-08-2005, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by: complich8

Originally posted by: Mut@chi

90%? What about the other 10%?
What about it? Is it wrong to have throws that are inescapable? most of the inescaple throws are links in the chain throws anyway, you have plenty of other opportunities to escape from.

Terracosmo
Mon, 08-08-2005, 02:32 AM
I didn't know you could customize characters in SC3, there's another reason to look forward to it. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif
Also it seems that Siegfried is finally back to normal! Glory to all!

I wouldn't say I've actually mastered him, but he's the guy I know how to use the best anyhow.
I'm more of a 2D fighter kind of guy.

And I'll have to agree with you Nai that Raphael is pretty cool (and according to canon, he's the next Soul Blade wielder right?)

complich8
Mon, 08-08-2005, 02:49 AM
so if I get caught in one I've got to sit through several, and figure out where the link in the chain that I can break is? Assuming I've studied the game enough to even know?

Soul calibur 2 has 3 types of throws (that I can think of offhand): A-throws, B-throws, and command-throws. A-throws and B-throws are easy to counter, you press the same button they do and it breaks the throw attempt (leading throw-happy matches into out-psyching matches ... is he going to a-throw next, or b-throw?). Command throws are rare and hard to connect with (but do big damage when they do), and sure enough, A and B don't break them.

Of course, if you mis-guess which throw you're about to eat, or are going for a kick or something or just caught off-balance, you're in for the ride. But the ride is only one stop. Chain throws are just irritating.

You eat a SC2 throw with counter bonus, you go "oww!" and move on. You eat a chain throw in tekken, you go "oww. oh well, I won't be able to break this for a while" and you can put down the controller and grab a beer, 'cause it's probably going to take just that long.

Sure, you can argue that that's just a skill-gap, that there's some narrow frame window that you might be able to hit some button and escape from the sequence. But after eating 7 or 8 of those and not finding the right button to hit or the narrow window to hit it in, I don't think it really mattered to me anymore. It just got really tedious. Again, I'm not going to torture myself to be a better player at a fighting game that I don't particularly enjoy to begin with, just so maybe down the line I can break that chain throw and still get my ass handed to me by someone who's been playing the series since it was the only game they had for their ps1 back in 1998.

Hikyuu
Mon, 08-08-2005, 07:19 AM
Wow.. I prefer soul calibur just because I stand a better chance at it.. being a horrible gamer that I am.. Seriously I suck at games.. So i can at least get some skills down in Soul calibur... Was I dreaming or in the charact er creation video was one of the chicks fighting with tamborines..

Tinks
Mon, 08-08-2005, 11:54 AM
Tekken is a horrible series compared to Soul Calibur easily, graphics, character design, stages, moves

But both are really boring, give me Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 or Guilty Gear

Mut
Mon, 08-08-2005, 09:52 PM
Good job, Tinks. This thread was obviously about Marvel VS. Capcom or Guilty Gear.

basey44
Mon, 08-08-2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by: Hikyuu
Wow.. I prefer soul calibur just because I stand a better chance at it.. being a horrible gamer that I am.. Seriously I suck at games.. So i can at least get some skills down in Soul calibur... Was I dreaming or in the charact er creation video was one of the chicks fighting with tamborines..

yea she was, but its not really surprising as u could use tamborines with voldo in SC2

Hikyuu
Tue, 08-09-2005, 06:58 AM
Ahh, well my friend must not have unlocked them.. my only contact with this game is when Im over his house getting pummeled.. But now that I think of it.. its fitting for voldo i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif

Itachi_y2k5
Wed, 08-10-2005, 10:23 AM
Soul Caliber owns tekken

masamuneehs
Wed, 08-10-2005, 12:00 PM
Yes the goofy weapons in SCII are pretty damn funny, tho most of the others are just too damn good and cheesy unless you need to give your opponent a handicap. That being said, Yungsung's invisible but extra long range Ultimate Sword was damn cool. "Huh he doesn't have a blade at all! " SLASH! SLASH! "OMFG!!"

Mitsurugi's Wooden Sword, Voldo's Tambourines, Maxi's Termite-Infested Batons, Nightmare's Oar, are all hilarious!

PSJ
Wed, 08-10-2005, 10:01 PM
I'm with Mut on both of his first statments "Tekken. Any other answer is incorrect" and "Only real men enjoy fist fighting." The others make sense to cause Tekken owns.

Nai
Thu, 08-11-2005, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by: masamuneehs
tho most of the others are just too damn good and cheesy unless you need to give your opponent a handicap.
Astaroths Thanatos and Mitsurugis Damascus Sword comes to mind...

Yeah, I can only hope that unlockable weapons will be more balanced in SCIII, if there are any.

dark maginn
Fri, 08-12-2005, 03:13 PM
Tekken owns so there

Enderz
Sun, 08-14-2005, 06:30 AM
Voted for tekken what can i say its a classic