PDA

View Full Version : Translation Question on Ep. 129-134

TheBigBadWolf
Fri, 08-05-2005, 04:38 PM
When I asked this question in the irc chan, I got flamed. Frankly, that was rather disappointing, seeing as how this is a legitimate question about translational differences. Thanks to the two people who said go ahead and post it up here anyway and ask.

In episodes 129-134, AonE translates the backstory of the Uchiha clan as particularly dark and menacing. You get the distinct impression that they're plotting something and perhaps Itatchi killed them all to spare himself and Sasuke from whatever they were doing.

This, however, is in dire contrast to other fansubs which don't quite paint the clan in such a dark tone.

So the question stands, why choose this particular translation? Frankly, I like this translation. I'd love, though, to hear an in-depth discussion of why it was chosen over the more pedestrian translations used by other groups.

Mut
Fri, 08-05-2005, 04:50 PM
No one flamed you, you moron. Stop making things up.

I also explained exactly why the translations vary.

TheBigBadWolf
Fri, 08-05-2005, 05:00 PM
Thanks, Mut@chi, but I'm looking for an in-depth intelligent discussion on the translational differences. Pablum comments like "Kurenai-X is a better translator" or "fansub x, y, and z suck" don't answer the question about the subtle but important differences in the translation.

Because this isn't just about one or two lines of dialogue, but the good part of five or six episodes, I'd like to try and get some learned feedback on the issue.