PDA

View Full Version : watching incomplete files

Antipete
Sun, 07-31-2005, 05:57 PM
I hope I havent asked this here before but I searched and didnt find anything and so...

What player can I use to watch incomplete anime files? I guess mostly avi but nowadays there are more and more or just about anything. I used to use a juiced up copy of Divx but I lost that a longtime ago and now almost all my stuff is legit. Anyway I cant believe what a problem I am having trying to view these files and so if anyone is watching incomplete files with a certain media player and knows what settings and all they have used I would really appreciate it, I have certain downloads where the trackers have changed and these things are like 90% all the way around and I cant watch one, boy is that aggravating!

complich8
Sun, 07-31-2005, 11:45 PM
you're probably not going to have much luck playing incomplete torrented files. Bittorrent, as a matter of necessity for the protocol to function, downloads chunks of the file in a random order. Most clients these days store the chunks wherever there's free space, and then move them around and rearrange them into an order that makes sense after the download finishes.

But you can always try throwing it at media player classic. I have seen it play truncated avi files missing their index blocks without complaining. But I really doubt it'll gracefully handle the random garbage that an incomplete download from a torrent will present it.

Of course, if the downloads are of batches, you can set individual files to be higher priority, and thus to complete well before the whole batch does. But that depends on whether it's a batch or not, and on how well seeded it is.