PDA

View Full Version : Gotwoot goodbye

Death BOO Z
Wed, 07-27-2005, 09:55 AM
As I mentioned a few times already, mainly in the Irc channel but also in the forum itself, I live in the country of Israel, and after finishing high school and turning 18 this month, I'm required by law to go through a 3 year military service.
Yes, I'm not mistaken, three years. Next time I'll be able to touch a computer will be in 2008.

That, of course, in an overstatement, I'll get to return home and such, probably a day or two every few weeks, and I'll also get longer vacations every few months. But, in some ways, the following week will be the final week as a teen, and after that, I'll be somewhat of an adult&
And obviously, adults don't have time for fun; time's too precious for that, gotta work, study and be useful to society. Again, I'm pretty much exaggerating, but that's just how I see it&

Anyway, army. Starting from July 31, I'll be a soldier. I'm not sure which unit am I supposed to go to yet, but I'm guessing on the armored vehicles one, as it seems that most people who will be recruited at the same day have voiced their preference to serve in that unit.

Logically speaking, I shouldn't be this worried, my brother has finished his service a few months ago, so I have someone that has gone through the same things as I will, and thinking of it, I'm in a much better state than he was. However, despite saying that, I'm still worried sick.
I'm not worried much by the physical parts of boot camp or even taking part in combat situations- my brother didn't get involved in a shot exchange the entire time he was serving, and I probably won't be either. The things that really worrying me are much simpler, I'm wondering how would I fit in with the other recruits (I'll be serving with people who come from every part of the country, you can compare it to a new-York-ien with someone from the bible belt of USA), and whether I'll make something close to friends there. The same kind of trivial thoughts I had before entering high school or before changing apartments, only this time, they're amplified ten folds.
Before, I had hobbies and earlier friend to fall on in case something went wrong, I could brush on some worries just by focusing on something else, now, I don't think that will work. Spending at least five days each week (in the very best case that I'll be allowed to go home once a week at Thursday, which probably won't be for at least the first few months) with people I hardly know (and judging by past experiences, we won't get along at all) really stresses me out.

And no matter how terribly stupid and childish it sounds, I'm also annoyed that my manga/anime time will be taken away, it seems like a really stupid thing to be worried about, but after 3 years of wasting a few hours each day on the subject, it's a bit drastic to cut it all down.

So, why am I posting this? Probably just to say goodbye to the forum, I've joined it a bit more than two years ago just to speak of Naruto, and it turned out to be quite a place to talk about everything. This topic probably won't be actually my LAST post, since I've taken a few days notice to post it, and I'll probably come back once in a few months to bitch about Naruto's latest chapters and complain about a something that only went on for a chapter or two. But that doesn't really change a thing, no matter what happens in the future, I feel that this is going to be the most important event in my life, the one that nothing will be the same afterwards&

That's just about all I have to say, for now, maybe some twist of fate will occur and my drafting date will be pushed back, but I've pretty much given up hope on that&

Oh yeah, this is the point where I thank people for making the forum so great, but I don't have a good enough memory to go through all the users who deserve it, so I'll stick to general gotwoot users types.
First of all, I must thank all the people who made me feel smart, those that once I read whatever they had to say, I could go through the entire week thanking god I wasn't born dumb.
Contrary to them, there are also people that made sure my head was in the normal proportions, it's always nice to have someone you can look up to&
Next in line, all the people who disagreed and argued with me, which were probably the most enjoyable discussions in the forum, whether I 'won' or 'lost' the argument, it was still a blast.

That's really all I can think of right now, so that's about it.
I'll see you guys around, perhaps even as soon as August 5th, but don't count on it. I'm trying to mentally prepare for a long stay, though I'm sure that when I'll be back, I'll visit this thread a laugh at myself.
actually, I'm already laughing at myself, but since i wrote this all, I feel bad not to post it, so that's about it.

Psyke
Wed, 07-27-2005, 10:01 AM
Here in Singapore we have a conscript army as well, but we do get to book out of camp every weekend. Anyway good luck on your tour of duty.

kAi
Wed, 07-27-2005, 10:56 AM
Well, I heard about this on IRC, well, have fun, see how long it is till you get back on the forum, if ever you come back here.

Kenzaburo
Wed, 07-27-2005, 11:53 AM
Don't worry, after bootcamp army tends to get a lot easier. My military service was not that much of a fun ride, but that was more because of bad luck on my side. And vehicles can be a blast or a torture, believe me, I know. I was a tank driver back then(Leopard 2A4). Tank driving can be fun, but keeping the darn thing in shape is a pain in the ass. You wouldn't believe how vulnerable a freakin' tank is to all kinds of damage.
About the stuff with other people...well, at first it was shocking, because I had to realize how many really dumb people there are, but oh well. The good thing is, that you learn one way or another how to arrange yourself with other people. Actually it is pretty much necessary because you have to rely on them a lot. Army is not about fighting single handedly through enemies like in Rambo, it's all about depending on your team and fulfilling your role in a team. And after a while you will certainly find "friends", just because of all the stuff you have to go through together.
Finally, I gotta say, military service is an experience unlike any other but to be honest, it's not the right thing to do for everyone and I'm still not sure, if it was the right thing for me( and it's been over 4 years now, that I served). Anyways, good luck and try to not take anything to heart what people might say to you, just try to take every situation thrown at you in a "laid-back" mood, might save you a lot of troubles and worries. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif
And NEVER, NEVER leave your gun anywhere behind or your sergeant/instructor will definately unleash eternal hell on your ass. ^^

The Heretic Azazel
Wed, 07-27-2005, 11:53 AM
Peace brah.

SK
Wed, 07-27-2005, 11:59 AM
be safe man. and dont worry, youll meet people and have friends.

Terracosmo
Wed, 07-27-2005, 12:20 PM
Those are normal feelings to have and very human to boot. But don't worry about that, you'll find mates and whatnot.
Always remember that you're not the only one thinking like you do - everyone does! Hehe.

Anyway I've seen you a lot since I registered and I suppose it will get a bit "empty" to not see the occasional DBZ post (one of few acronyms I can remember).
So anyway take care and remember - don't take life too seriously. It's too short to do that. Do your army gig, but never forget where your true interests lie!
Useful to society? Fuck that! i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

ChaosK
Wed, 07-27-2005, 12:36 PM
didnt get to know you much so i'll just say: good luck, and remember to duck. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Hikyuu
Wed, 07-27-2005, 12:43 PM
Shalom Chaver sheli..
EDIT: Were you born in Eretz Yisrael ;o?

Paulyboy
Wed, 07-27-2005, 12:46 PM
Man that sucks dude, in the USA, you have to sign that military draft when you turn 18. And when the war starts then we go to war, if were needed that is.

DO
Wed, 07-27-2005, 01:13 PM
Nobody cares. Trust me, I didn't bother reading that long dry post.

Terracosmo
Wed, 07-27-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by: DragonOutlaw
Nobody cares.

I do.

DO
Wed, 07-27-2005, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by: Terracosmo

Originally posted by: DragonOutlaw
Nobody cares.

I do.

i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif Well, come down to IRC more often.

Xollence
Wed, 07-27-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by: Paulyboy
Man that sucks dude, in the USA, you have to sign that military draft when you turn 18. And when the war starts then we go to war, if were needed that is.

It's weird I don't remember ever getting one in the mail. All my friends did except me.

XanBcoo
Wed, 07-27-2005, 03:56 PM
Aawwww damn, that's really crappy news. I hate feeling all that tension and confusion before something big like that. Worrying = shit.
Good luck man, hope it all goes cool.

I, like Terra, am gonna miss "the occasional DBZ post". You're gonna be missed

Turkish-S
Wed, 07-27-2005, 04:32 PM
i won't mis you but i do hope you will come back in 1 piece.

Mae
Wed, 07-27-2005, 05:56 PM
Sorry to hear you'll be off. I've enjoyed your posts in the past. I don't know much about the army, but I can identify with being stressed over moving someplace new. I'd say try not to stress too much about what you don't have any control over (easier said than done). Stressing won't change anything and might make it harder, so why waste your energy? You go, you do your best, and that's all anyone can ask. As far as the work, work, study, study part... Well, I'M an adult, and I go for work, study, but make time to do occasionally do something silly, just for fun, just because you feel like it. Keep some balance, enjoy your life a little. Time's too short NOT to. Anyways, best of luck. If you get the chance let us know how it goes for ya.

Lefty
Wed, 07-27-2005, 07:28 PM
It will not be the same with out yeah man. Post when you can.

Paulyboy
Wed, 07-27-2005, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by: Xollence

Originally posted by: Paulyboy

It's weird I don't remember ever getting one in the mail. All my friends did except me.

You don't get one in the mail, you have to go to your nearest post office and do it. If you don't, you will get fined or arrested. Its the truth lol.

Xollence
Wed, 07-27-2005, 09:51 PM
Well it's been about 5 years and I never got fined or arrested. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Knives122
Wed, 07-27-2005, 11:53 PM
well you can always dodge the draft, I know a few people(adults) that have done that

NM
Thu, 07-28-2005, 07:26 AM
Take care of yourself man. I wish you all the best!

KitKat
Thu, 07-28-2005, 08:01 AM
Don't worry, your anime and manga will always be here waiting for you when you get back.

I hope that despite your fears, this turns out to be a really positive experience for you. Learn a lot, have some fun, and come back to tell us about it.

Raven
Thu, 07-28-2005, 09:40 AM
It's been a blast DBZ, I'll miss your posts around here. With you around there's always a good post to read, and always someone to discuss with or debate/argue with! I hope it turns out to be a great life learning experience for you, stay in one piece. Looking forward to hearing from you when you can get to a computer.

Assertn
Thu, 07-28-2005, 12:24 PM
maybe when you come back, you can finally explain to me what the hell that thing is in your avatar

Jman
Thu, 07-28-2005, 01:51 PM
Best of luck to you as you go off to the military. Be safe man.

a_odessey
Fri, 07-29-2005, 06:02 AM
good luck and i think that, um. i donna. anyways, stay safe. it suck if something happened to another gotwootian (well, most). and btw, when u turn 18 in america, u HAVE to join the army? i thought u recruited if you wanted to at a recruiting building. as in, u really have to join, no MATTER what?? cause that would suck, i don't wanna invade some1s country. i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Hikyuu
Fri, 07-29-2005, 06:54 AM
He lives in Israel.. in america you must register for the draft if you are a male.. That means if a large war comes around and they start drafting people, you must go when you are called.. Different then having to go when your 18

Jaredster
Fri, 07-29-2005, 10:50 PM
When you come back, you will have 3 years worth of anime and manga to watch i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif.

Be careful.