PDA

View Full Version : Guy solves rubix cube blindfolded

intense
Mon, 07-25-2005, 07:15 PM
http://movies.collegehumor.com...ollegehumor.950623.wmv (http://movies.collegehumor.com/items/2005/07/collegehumor.950623.wmv)

Btw... what does he say at the end?
Ive seen a guy at the guiness books of record do the same thing in 4 or 5 (no clue i frgt) minutes, and this guy did it in half the time.... whooaaaaa

Who here has ever solved one anyways?

GhostKaGe
Mon, 07-25-2005, 07:37 PM
I solved 1 in 30 seconds by smashing it to peices and putting it back together and before you say i cheated let me put it this way "we live in a world where being able to cheat is a required skill"

DB_Hunter
Mon, 07-25-2005, 07:42 PM
That is amazing and a bit sad at the same time... can't say I have ever come close to doing it.

Raven
Mon, 07-25-2005, 07:46 PM
I think at the end he says "...and when I'm not cheating, I get to do this" hence telling us it was faked.

XanBcoo
Mon, 07-25-2005, 07:47 PM
@The Next Hokage: it's easier to just take off all the stickers and put all the same colors together. Your method results in needless voilence. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Deblas
Mon, 07-25-2005, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by: xanbcoo
@The Next Hokage: it's easier to just take off all the stickers and put all the same colors together. Your method results in needless voilence.

Yes....but some are painted on!! O_O

Terracosmo
Mon, 07-25-2005, 08:38 PM
Once I tried to solve one of these cubes, I threw it into the wall after 30 seconds and never touched it again.

a_odessey
Mon, 07-25-2005, 08:54 PM
i've solved one before. used this guide thingy on the web though. couldn't stand how it looked and the stickers were painted. and didn't want to break it, but now i can pretty much solve it in less than a minute without the guide. but once u figure out how to do it, u won't forget and i doesn't take a long time no matter what you do.

ChaosK
Mon, 07-25-2005, 09:21 PM
when i try these, it always involves yelling and screaming and something flying out the window breaking into pieces, hiting a neighbor who then yells and screams some more... and then i give them to my idiot friends and watch them think theres some sort of trick to it so spends the whole time turning it while snapping his wrist. finally it reaches a computer nerd who tries to decode it with C# programming.

SK
Mon, 07-25-2005, 09:26 PM
i had one when i was a little kid, i remember solving it but i dont have it anymore.

intense
Mon, 07-25-2005, 09:43 PM
once you've solved one, you'll never want to touch the cube and mix it up again...

ChaosK
Mon, 07-25-2005, 09:56 PM
for some reason, when you solve 1 you cant solve the others. I solved one ONCE (a rare occasion for me i solved something i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif so i tried solving another (my friend told me to try it) so i tried the same thing i had done to solve my first one but it wouldnt work, and no matter how i fiddled with i couldnt solve it...probably because i still had the method of solving the first one in mind, so i kept doing something similar (do they make all rubix cubes different or something?

oh and when i solved my first 1 i turned it (only a few times) to make it look like it was still unsolved so whenever anybody saw it i'd take it and solve it again so they could be amazed.

Paulyboy
Mon, 07-25-2005, 09:56 PM
Yah I solved one within a year or 2. Like when I was bored, I would just mess with it for like an hour. Then like another year I found it under my bed which was almost finished. I think it took like less than an hour.

PSJ
Mon, 07-25-2005, 09:58 PM
I wanted one of those a while ago never tried to solve on. If i got extra time i can eat or do something else.

American Hero
Mon, 07-25-2005, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by: The Next Hokage
I solved 1 in 30 seconds by smashing it to peices and putting it back together

That would take much longer than 30 seconds.

deadlydreamx
Tue, 07-26-2005, 12:24 AM
ive seen a guy do it faster.. i dnt remember if i saw it on tv or on da computer.. but he was blindfolded n he solved it in like less than a min

Krbadass
Tue, 07-26-2005, 12:55 AM
I need a guide that i can actually understand, someone go find me one.

Turkish-S
Tue, 07-26-2005, 06:39 AM
whow, i will never but never waste my time on it.

Raven
Tue, 07-26-2005, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by: deadlydreamx
ive seen a guy do it faster.. i dnt remember if i saw it on tv or on da computer.. but he was blindfolded n he solved it in like less than a min
If it's the video I think you're talking about, then he started off with a solved one and started jumbling it up, and the video was shown in reverse.

Psyke
Tue, 07-26-2005, 07:09 AM
You guys ever played with the sphere version? It was called MasterBall I think. I solved it back then as it was easier than Rubik's cube.

To Young
Tue, 07-26-2005, 07:55 AM
This supposedly a response from the guy on the video, I found on another website. I don't know if it is real or not.

Hey Everyone,

So the owner of speedcubing.com showed me this site after it received
an inordinate number of hits from here. I'm the guy in the video and I
thought I might as well put in my own two cents.

Yeah, so it's not so bad here, but my blindfold video got posted on
some similar sites in The Netherlands. Just to clarify, I'm not a
"Chinese-cube master trained since infancy." I learned how to solve
the Rubik's Cube 2 years ago.

As for this, I really didn't cheat. I couldn't see the blindfold, and
my taping on the pieces was a way of recalling what I had memorized
earlier. There was no brail on the stickers or anything.

First of all, solving a Rubik's Cube is possible for anyone. There are
many solutions on the internet. I have written on myself and you can
find it at http://www.astro.caltech.edu/~tmao/SolveTheCube.doc . If
you have any questions about that solution manual, feel free to send me
an e-mail and I'll do my best to help you out. There are also many
other solutions on the internet.

Second of all, solving the cube blindfolded is also possible for
anyone. Memory is not innate. Instead, it is practiced and learned.
I sucked really bad when I started out and I improved considerably as I
practiced more and more. I have a blindfold manual up but it's not
completely finished and I need to revise it. If you're so inclined,
you may access it at http://www.astro.caltech.edu/~tmao/blindfold.doc .

So once more, it wasn't staged. I didn't look at the cube at all
before I started looking at it in the video. I don't really get beat
up at school either. Who would waste their time? Also, I filmed that
video in my office so I did it at a time when my co-workers weren't
around so it wouldn't be too distracting. My father didn't beat me
either.

As for the "when I'm not cubing I get to do", the video was never
intended for massive public release like this. I was at my office and
I was working on the geographical surface mapping of Mars so that
colored maps is a map of Mars.

The world champion you saw on the Discovery Channel was Shotaro
Makisumi. You'll see me in that video clip announcing the 'start' of
the tournament.

And yeah, there are many non-'skinny Asian' kids who can do this too.
Blindfolding a Rubik's Cube doesn't take any special powers or immense
brain capacity. It's something that can be learned by anyone if you
have the desire and patience.

I better get back to work. My cubical mates are telling me to cube
battle now, thanks to your comment. BATTLE!

End quote

mage
Tue, 07-26-2005, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by: CmDr_RavEn
I think at the end he says "...and when I'm not cheating, I get to do this" hence telling us it was faked.
he says "and when im not CUBING, i get to do this". it's obviously real as the video was on him the whole time.