PDA

View Full Version : Filler in manga?

Hikyuu
Thu, 07-21-2005, 07:25 AM
Reading a recent post from winged dancer made this question pop into my head. Im sure it isnt an original one and someone has thought of it. If a moderator feels it is assinine or w/e please feel free without hesitation to delete this thread. Anywhoo on to the question.
By not going into detail on certain aspects of fights and the like, is Kishimoto diliberately glazing over them so that when the anime progresses to where the manga is, the writers of the show would have room to add the filler? Sorry about the runon sentence but we are all mature enough to decipher my babble (Well, most of us I hope)
~Yale

DeluxSkillz
Thu, 07-21-2005, 09:50 AM
i don't think so, some battles are just short because kishimoto wanted them to be short, the way the manga flows is so much better then the anime, the anime stretches meaningless fights and adds flash backs where the were supposed to be none it's stupid why dwell on something that the author himself didn't find interesting enough to elaborate on, the added scenes are some times nice but usually they are just annoying...i don't see any reason why kishimoto would want to make it easier on the people who do the anime because the manga his original hand drawn art and the anime is just drawn by a bunch of morons (okay they are still way better then i'll ever be but compared to the art in the manga the anime is on such a low level it isn't even funny) in short i don't think he would sacrifice details in his original work for a animated version that he doesn't have any say in because seriosuly do you think he would come up with that stupid running arc with that green haired jounin and the lightsaber or the new stupid brothers arc lol if i was kishimoto i would be ashamed by how butchered the anime has become

Hikyuu
Thu, 07-21-2005, 10:02 AM
Yeah but there always is the importance of monetary compensation... Is the manga more profitable then the Show??

DeluxSkillz
Thu, 07-21-2005, 10:06 AM
well i don't think the manga is more profitable but i like to look at kishimoto as an artist and not a money hungry fool

The Heretic Azazel
Thu, 07-21-2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by: DeluxSkillz
i don't think so, some battles are just short because kishimoto wanted them to be short, the way the manga flows is so much better then the anime, the anime stretches meaningless fights and adds flash backs where the were supposed to be none it's stupid why dwell on something that the author himself didn't find interesting enough to elaborate on, the added scenes are some times nice but usually they are just annoying...i don't see any reason why kishimoto would want to make it easier on the people who do the anime because the manga his original hand drawn art and the anime is just drawn by a bunch of morons (okay they are still way better then i'll ever be but compared to the art in the manga the anime is on such a low level it isn't even funny) in short i don't think he would sacrifice details in his original work for a animated version that he doesn't have any say in because seriosuly do you think he would come up with that stupid running arc with that green haired jounin and the lightsaber or the new stupid brothers arc lol if i was kishimoto i would be ashamed by how butchered the anime has become

Periods are your friends.

Honoko
Thu, 07-21-2005, 12:54 PM
and he's got 3 of them... hehehee i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

DeluxSkillz
Thu, 07-21-2005, 01:09 PM
periods are overrated

mage
Thu, 07-21-2005, 01:21 PM
well i don't think the manga is more profitable but i like to look at kishimoto as an artist and not a money hungry fool

not a fool, but just as money hungry as everyone else. It does seem that since there hasn't been much emphasis on the clone fights that they may be setting up for filler in the anime while totally skipping them in the manga. This idea might change with the next chapter though :P

Masamune
Thu, 07-21-2005, 02:30 PM
when you edit the first post with periods / spaces , the whole nine yards. I will be able to understand anything you said. And ill edit this post when you do to comment on it : O

Honoko
Thu, 07-21-2005, 02:50 PM
periods are overrated
i know.. the cramps, the mood swings.... it's just not worth it.

(sorry, i couldn't resist i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif)

and just to make this post not completely worthless, i think it'd make kishimoto's job a lot harder if he had to keep the anime in mind.

Hikyuu
Thu, 07-21-2005, 03:18 PM
You guys are getting off topic ;.;.. Please dont post here just to say.. OMGZ !!!Oneone1one11! He isn't using punctuation.

Sidnne
Thu, 07-21-2005, 03:49 PM
It is an interesting theory, but, I don't believe it is true.

If there is more information given in the anime that we don't see in the manga, I don't believe it is deliberate. Most likely if that happens it would be because Kishimoto thought of something better while writing the anime that perhaps he didn't think of while writing the manga. But, even that is stretching it I suppose.

Whenever we see the anime episodes that correspond with the manga, the only thing that is extended is maybe some fight scenes or a few added meaningless scenes. They never really seem to add any relevant information to the anime that we didn't receive in the manga. Even with the filler eps, they only give meaningless info on new or minor characters just for that arc that really has no bearing on the main storyline.

Winged Dancer
Thu, 07-21-2005, 03:58 PM
Oh, I wouldn't be so sure.

While staying in Japan I used to buy Shounen Jump every week. At the very last page the various mangaka have a small space for them to write their opinions - the Gintama writer, for instance, spent weeks talking about how he moved his studio from one place to another.

In the very week the anime fillers started Kishimoto wrote something like this: "The anime is starting an original arc this week. Please everyone, enjoy the things I couldn't write in the manga!"

Now, whether this means Kishimoto wanted to write half-assed stupid storylines or whether he was just trying to make people watch the anime, I don't know.
Perhaps the most logical answer is that Kishimoto wanted to extend, for instance, the Kakashi Gaiden, or maybe he wanted to show some of Naruto's training in the manga without using flash-backs but he wasn't allowed to for some reason or another.

And on the "What's more profitable?" topic, I'd say that the manga and the anime target different audiences. In Japan, no one above 14 years old will admit to watching anime but EVERYONE reads manga. Not only the Jump publications, too - there's not a day in the week in which a new manga "compilation" doesn't come out, and the day you walk into the Tokyo subway without seeing someone reading manga is the day the world is ending.

But anime targets younger audiences, which are also the audiences you can sell stuff to, while the manga audience buys stuff only if they are collectible-crazy otaku. So yeah, I'm not sure which one is more profitable but they are inter-linked anyway.

Hikyuu
Thu, 07-21-2005, 04:04 PM
Thanks for your input Winged ^^.. Its always nice to have someone with some semblance of insight chime in.. and I dont mean to be condescending if I sound it >,<

Hakeem_21
Thu, 07-21-2005, 06:56 PM
If he is doing that then he is the smartest mangaka ever.

But i dont think so and after having read Naruto for so many vols i know he isnt capable of doing this.

If he shocked us and did this then it would be make me start to watch the anime again cause it would be intresting.

Winged Dancer
Thu, 07-21-2005, 10:57 PM
I don't think Kishimoto is conciously writing like "Hey, this idea ain't half-bad, lets not write it so it can be incorporated into the anime!", mainly because he's way too busy with the manga as it is to worry much about what's going on in the anime. At most I'm guessing he just answers the phone when the Studio Pierrot animators call in with some question...

Assertn
Thu, 07-21-2005, 11:21 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Kishimoto was purposely speeding things up a little just to stay ahead of the anime. After all, nobody wants a kenshin scenario

Terracosmo
Thu, 07-21-2005, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by: Winged Dancer
At most I'm guessing he just answers the phone when the Studio Pierrot animators call in with some question...

*Flashback to when Kishimoto was drawing the Naruto VS 30% Itachi fight*

Kishimoto: Fuck, how am I going to solve this? I need to somehow make it so Naruto can hurt Itachi.. hmm..

*ring ring*

Kishimoto: Yo?
Studio Pierrot: Sup Kishi mate, this is Pierrot
Kishimoto: Make it quick, I'm in the middle of my next ingenius scheme, and I have something really good in store so you better not interrupt for too long
Pierrot: Okay Kishi man I'll be brief. See, you're doing these chapter thingies way too slowly... not to mention taking breaks way too fucking often... so we have to, y'know, pull a audience killer on the public.
Kishimoto: Audience killer?
PIerrot: Yeah you know... worthless sideplots, stupid catchphrases... filler, they call it.
Kishimoto: Oh, yeah. I love those. After all, I grew up with DBZ... oh those fillers were truly gr-
Pierrot: Yeah yeah whatever. So basically I was wondering if you perhaps would mind if we... ehh.. slaughtered the continuity of the show a bit.
Kishimoto: Continu- what now? Oh sure, go ahead.
Pierrot: I'm thinking like, bringing in relatives of old characters, and perhaps even re-using some old quick sketches of yours?
Kishimoto: Sure whatever
Pierrot: But ehh... we don't really know how to -
Kishimoto: For the love of obscure japanese mythology references, just fucking use a rasengan. Now piss off, I'm busy

*click*

Kishimoto: Hmm... so how to finish the fight... OH YEAH! I GOT IT! I'LL HAVE NARUTO DO A DOUBLE RASENGAN! THAT's LIKE TWO IN ONE SUPER MEGA COOLNESS!!

*pause*

Kishimoto: I'M A GENIUS

...couldn't resist.

American Hero
Fri, 07-22-2005, 12:00 AM
That was great, Terra.

Hikyuu
Fri, 07-22-2005, 06:42 AM
OMG ;o Terra posted in my thread.. thus justifying its existence.. Thankyou terra i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif~

I know that Kishimoto probably isnt skipping over things for the anime, but if he was it would be quite ingenious since no one has really noticed he was doing it. He could just place the blame on the horrid animators? for butchering his story..yeah shutting up now

Terracosmo
Sat, 07-23-2005, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by: Hikyuu
OMG ;o Terra posted in my thread.. thus justifying its existence.. Thankyou terra ~

If only more people understood the extreme honor that is Terra posting in a topic!

Also, why tell yourself to shut up when you are one of few people who actually have interesting theories?

American Hero
Sat, 07-23-2005, 09:01 PM
It's called ass kissing.

Hikyuu
Sat, 07-23-2005, 11:07 PM
Its called total lack of self confidence due to "CIT training" anywhoo back to the topic ^^

Rhanfahl
Mon, 07-25-2005, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by: Terracosmo

Originally posted by: Winged Dancer
At most I'm guessing he just answers the phone when the Studio Pierrot animators call in with some question...

*Flashback to when Kishimoto was drawing the Naruto VS 30% Itachi fight*

Kishimoto: Fuck, how am I going to solve this? I need to somehow make it so Naruto can hurt Itachi.. hmm..

*ring ring*

Kishimoto: Yo?
Studio Pierrot: Sup Kishi mate, this is Pierrot
Kishimoto: Make it quick, I'm in the middle of my next ingenius scheme, and I have something really good in store so you better not interrupt for too long
Pierrot: Okay Kishi man I'll be brief. See, you're doing these chapter thingies way too slowly... not to mention taking breaks way too fucking often... so we have to, y'know, pull a audience killer on the public.
Kishimoto: Audience killer?
PIerrot: Yeah you know... worthless sideplots, stupid catchphrases... filler, they call it.
Kishimoto: Oh, yeah. I love those. After all, I grew up with DBZ... oh those fillers were truly gr-
Pierrot: Yeah yeah whatever. So basically I was wondering if you perhaps would mind if we... ehh.. slaughtered the continuity of the show a bit.
Kishimoto: Continu- what now? Oh sure, go ahead.
Pierrot: I'm thinking like, bringing in relatives of old characters, and perhaps even re-using some old quick sketches of yours?
Kishimoto: Sure whatever
Pierrot: But ehh... we don't really know how to -
Kishimoto: For the love of obscure japanese mythology references, just fucking use a rasengan. Now piss off, I'm busy

*click*

Kishimoto: Hmm... so how to finish the fight... OH YEAH! I GOT IT! I'LL HAVE NARUTO DO A DOUBLE RASENGAN! THAT's LIKE TWO IN ONE SUPER MEGA COOLNESS!!

*pause*

Kishimoto: I'M A GENIUS

...couldn't resist.

Sadly, that is a viable possiblity...Also, there are so many writers and manga artists in Japan. Ever hear of the term "starving artist" Kishimoto wasn't always rich. Needless to say many times when the money starts rolling in "sacrifices" are made...and the art/story, well the art/story can take one for the team. Money changes everything.

ChaosK
Mon, 07-25-2005, 10:46 PM
terra's "self proclaimed visions" are always a blast i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

and yes, i could picture that happening the studio constantly bugging kishimoto so he finally just tells them to rasengan everything.

samsonlonghair
Tue, 07-26-2005, 01:05 AM
Good job Terra. That was damn hilarious.

Back on topic, I suppose it seems possible that the animation studio calls up Kishimoto and asks if he was to ellaborate, what more would he put in. The only exception is the end of the Sasuke/Naruto grand battle.
Could you imagine them calling Kishimoto and saying, "We know that this battle serves as the culmination of the entire story so far and everything has led up to this point, but we'd like to add in some sort of ambiguous scene were they turn into little kids and hold hands. We don't really have any good reason whatsoever for doing this; we're just hoping to fuel more rumours that there's some sort of gay attraction between the two of them." Kishimoto would then reply, "sure, that's a great idea!"

Hikyuu
Tue, 07-26-2005, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by: samsonlonghair
Good job Terra. That was damn hilarious.

Back on topic, I suppose it seems possible that the animation studio calls up Kishimoto and asks if he was to ellaborate, what more would he put in. The only exception is the end of the Sasuke/Naruto grand battle.
Could you imagine them calling Kishimoto and saying, "We know that this battle serves as the culmination of the entire story so far and everything has led up to this point, but we'd like to add in some sort of ambiguous scene were they turn into little kids and hold hands. We don't really have any good reason whatsoever for doing this; we're just hoping to fuel more rumours that there's some sort of gay attraction between the two of them." Kishimoto would then reply, "sure, that's a great idea!"

Well it would be fan service to all the people who love Bishounen / shounen ai relations but Im kind of doubting the fan service as a plausible reason for that..

XanBcoo
Tue, 07-26-2005, 11:11 AM
@Hikyuu: I agreed with you before I saw this:

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/3443/gay15nu.jpg

Hikyuu
Tue, 07-26-2005, 12:07 PM
Would you like to say what that is?
EDIT: I think I can guess what it is.. but I have not seen Naruto ep 144 yet.. so if thats what I think it is ok >>

ChaosK
Tue, 07-26-2005, 02:45 PM
hahaha xanbcoo and samsonlonghair is right, for some reason theres been some creepy shit happening in the fillers, remember a little back where sakura wanted to see...that girl of the tea country's wound? "now let me see your wound (hehehe)" yikes.

XanBcoo
Tue, 07-26-2005, 08:40 PM
It's an appeal to all the yaoi/yuri fans who have not yet discovered the greatness of Naruto!
...just broadening the fanbase...

EDIT: so, yes Hikyuu, that's from ep. 144...the picture pretty much says it.

Shame on those who can't appreciate the nature of a deep, completely platonic, non-sexual relationship of two young men running through the grass holding hands...

ChaosK
Tue, 07-26-2005, 10:35 PM
wait...your telling me you do this?

XanBcoo
Tue, 07-26-2005, 10:52 PM
it's called sarcasm chaoskiddo. I know it doesn't work well in written form, but if you give it just a little thought, you can figure it out.

EDIT: Wait, nevermind. After glancing at your post count it has become blatantly obvious to me that you are nearing Jounin status, and this is why you have been posting so much recently...looking for any excuse to post. That would explain your short, consecutive posts in almost every topic today i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif including the above comment. But I've got no room to talk - I'd do the same.

or you're just really really bored

Rhanfahl
Wed, 07-27-2005, 10:26 PM
You know... Kishimoto could just be a Closet Homo...there's certainly enough undertones for it without necessarily being "Gay". I shudder to think too much about it though.

Hikyuu
Thu, 07-28-2005, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by: Rhanfahl
You know... Kishimoto could just be a Closet Homo...there's certainly enough undertones for it without necessarily being "Gay". I shudder to think too much about it though.

What the fuck? are retarded or just some fucking n00b.. dont post stuff that has anything in the slightest to do with the topic of this forum =/..when did Kishimoto's sexual preference (if someone takes offense to the term Im sorry couldnt think of the proper term) him adding filler to the series..

The Heretic Azazel
Thu, 07-28-2005, 09:41 AM

Dumbest thing I've read on the forums in a while, and that's really saying something.

Rhanfahl
Fri, 08-05-2005, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by: The Heretic Azazel

Dumbest thing I've read on the forums in a while, and that's really saying something.

Clearly you don't read the forums enough, and you probably just say that cause you don't want to admit I'm right. Whatever, fag tones are all over Naruto. If the creator didn't like/agree/accept them, they would be there. Personally I don't give a shit which way he sits on his stool.

Hikyuu
Fri, 08-05-2005, 06:20 AM
tones? WTF are you talking about. Stop being some homophobe..only gay people can use the word Fag without being though of as a bigot. Much like how I cant use the n word without being jumped by a mob of burly black men then shoved into a trashcan..If you don't have anything relevant to say,, then I would much rather see my thread die. =/

The Heretic Azazel
Fri, 08-05-2005, 09:56 AM
Yeah, that's right, I'm afraid Naruto is a WEALTH of homosexual undertones.

You should leave your house every now and then. That thing shining is the Sun.

XanBcoo
Fri, 08-05-2005, 11:59 AM
Haha, rhanfahl's an idiot
..."fag tones"

I don't think kishimoto's gay though.

Jaredster
Fri, 08-05-2005, 07:05 PM

LOL! LIK NARUTO NAD SASUKE HOLDIN HANDS!
Seriously, you're a homophobe.

On topic, kishimoto needs to make a adaptation to Come-Come Paradise (Or whatever the translation for it is called).

XanBcoo
Fri, 08-05-2005, 08:00 PM
That would be killer, but sadly Kishimoto said in an interview that he never will.

Rhanfahl
Sun, 08-07-2005, 11:08 PM
Now I'm just puzzled. I see people throwing the word "fag" around this forum all the time. And no one seems to bat an eye. Have I seriously offended someone? You people flame each other far worse on a daily basis, and I crack a joke about the whole Sasuke/Naruto, Iruka/Mizuki thing and everyone goes off on me? Besides, is it "wrong" for me to be a homephobe and "scared" if you will of fatass gays making moves on me even though I'm now married? Its fucking creepy, if you're gay, good for you. If you like gays, great go do your thing. My intent wasn't a direct slander against anyone, it was a fucking joke, lighten up.

P.S. You can't possibly compare "fag" to "N*****" Why, cause there isn't over 200 years of racial oppression behind it. Has there been gay bashing over the centuries? Yes. Have they been shipped to foreign lands to work for nothing for the rest of their lives? Fuck no. You call me the "homophobe" but you people are clearly the ones uncomfortable with your sexuality. Why else would you be so aggressive about it? Well, whatever I'm done with this thread, I don't want to deal with this shit anymore.

Clearly no one can take a joke...

drcitan
Mon, 08-08-2005, 12:20 AM
And thats the way the cookie crumbles

mage
Mon, 08-08-2005, 01:39 AM
Now I'm just puzzled. I see people throwing the word "fag" around this forum all the time. And no one seems to bat an eye. Have I seriously offended someone? You people flame each other far worse on a daily basis, and I crack a joke about the whole Sasuke/Naruto, Iruka/Mizuki thing and everyone goes off on me? Besides, is it "wrong" for me to be a homephobe and "scared" if you will of fatass gays making moves on me even though I'm now married? Its fucking creepy, if you're gay, good for you. If you like gays, great go do your thing. My intent wasn't a direct slander against anyone, it was a fucking joke, lighten up.

P.S. You can't possibly compare "fag" to "N*****" Why, cause there isn't over 200 years of racial oppression behind it. Has there been gay bashing over the centuries? Yes. Have they been shipped to foreign lands to work for nothing for the rest of their lives? Fuck no. You call me the "homophobe" but you people are clearly the ones uncomfortable with your sexuality. Why else would you be so aggressive about it? Well, whatever I'm done with this thread, I don't want to deal with this shit anymore.

shutup niggerfag

Hikyuu
Mon, 08-08-2005, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by: mage

Both of you stop shitting up my topic :/... Im very secure about my sexuality being the Fag that I am.. and I never compared the history.. I was comparing its misuse =/... The jews have had over 200 years of opression and persecution.. but oyu dont see them walking around calling eachother kikes (Im jewish to so I can use that term.. see dont we love doubel standards) ... anyway back on topic.. I still have my doubts that Kishimoto isnt out for creating space in the manga so the show can embellish..

Everybody just shut up and get back on topic. Now.

GotWoot Moderator

The Heretic Azazel
Mon, 08-08-2005, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by: Jaredster
[quote]
On topic, kishimoto needs to make a adaptation to Come-Come Paradise (Or whatever the translation for it is called).

I smell a spin-off!!

vegita625
Tue, 08-09-2005, 03:49 PM
P.S. You can't possibly compare "fag" to "N*****" Why, cause there isn't over 200 years of racial oppression behind it. Has there been gay bashing over the centuries? Yes. Have they been shipped to foreign lands to work for nothing for the rest of their lives? Fuck no.

Who cares about the word "nigger" except black racist guys or people who hear it in a clearly pissed off tone from non-black guy? Black people throw the word around all over the place now, hell, half the time they through it around to a white guy, "Hey nigga, get over here." Sure, it's niggA, not niggER, but it's the same f'n word with some slang-y accent to it. I swear, the next time I hear black people complaining about racism from the word "nigger" (unless it's against the KKK or something), I'm gonna be like "Maybe you and about half of the other black people all over America should stop using the word and keeping it alive then, dumbass," either that or go up to the closest white guy and be like "Yo, cracka, you have a clue what this black dude is talkin about?!"

Meanwhile, I hate racist black people complaining about racism, and no, that's NOT "reverse" racism, it's f'n racism, prejudice against another race, NOT white people prejudiced against another race... this world is full of idiocy sometimes, it really is...

Now can someone tell me how this racism talk got started in the first place? Because someone compared a stupid deragatory term for black people to a stupid word for a British cigarette, I mean gay people.

Now for some comical relief of a girl asking a gay guy out at a bar:
-"Hey man, come here often?"
-"oh boy... er, yea, often enough..."
-"(whisper) Hey, girl, seriously, this guy bats for the other team!"
-"What?"
-"He's big on musical theater"
-"what? So am I, what of it?"
-"Ooh, I'm also a king size flamer, a poofer, and a big fruit! Now have we covered all the derogatory terms for me being gay?"
[later]
-"Damn, just another day in my loser life... totally shot down..."
-(straight guy) "Hey, if it helps, at least one of us got his number... yea yea, laugh at my expense, but just remember, I'm handsome enough to attract girls AND guys..."

Ok ok, on topic, yea... Come, Come Paradise would be awesome spin off... though given what has been told, I think it'd also be done by someone else given that it'd be, ya know, prolly hentai-ish? Just a guess lol

Hikyuu
Tue, 08-09-2005, 05:44 PM
Where did this Come, Come Paradise Idea Arise o.0 and what is the relevance.. Maybe Im missing something...

Jaredster
Tue, 08-09-2005, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by: Hikyuu
Where did this Come, Come Paradise Idea Arise o.0 and what is the relevance.. Maybe Im missing something...

*looks around all nonchalant*

XanBcoo
Tue, 08-09-2005, 10:31 PM
It would be good filler it would.
But it really would be too "mature" as it is really a hentai novel. I wouldn't mind half an episode of "icha icha paradise", only to find that it's just kakashi reading it. As long as they make it funny.
I'd say it would fit in with your "filler in the manga" hikyuu. Kishimoto created it, but never elaborated on it (and, as I said, he never will - stated this himself). It would be funny if the animators used some of it for some decent filler.

The Heretic Azazel
Tue, 08-09-2005, 10:37 PM
Kakashi Sakura Temari paradise.

Screw following the manga plot.

hcheng02
Tue, 08-16-2005, 08:47 AM
It would be nice if Kishimoto wrote some short stories in the manga. You know how in InuYasha there are little comedic stories where InuYasha travels to the present day and gets into trouble? That would be a nice change of pace. It would also give the filler writers a little more material to work with. God knows they need all the help they can get. I like long story arcs, superpowered villains, and fights as much as anybody but it wouldn't hurt to develop some of the characters in a peaceful situation. Like have Iruka take Naruto on a fishing trip or Neji try to set up HInata on a date with Naruto or something. Hell, I'll even take a Konohamaru short. Anything to develop the characters and relationships without flashbacks. These fights are getting way too long, and there is more to a ninja then just their powers.