PDA

View Full Version : Rurouni Kenshin OVA

DraGunZer0
Wed, 07-20-2005, 11:30 AM
Alright I know the OVA is pretty old but recently I decided to watch it again (I've seen it over 6 times now) and I thought I understood everything from the OVA but theres a couple questions that remained:

1.) Is Saitoh in the OVA, the same one with the "Wolf" thrusting techniques in the RK series?
I asked a friend of mine a while back with this and he said no... after watching this again I still hold to my beliefs that he is infact the same Saitoh.

2.) If it is the same Saitoh, how did he survive?
This was what my friend used to counter my question... It might have been explained in the series, not too sure.

3.) In the end, Katsura recruited a new assassin to replace Kenshin, was that Shi Shio?
At first, I didn't have any questions with this because I was watching the dubbed version so I probably didn't hear it right. But while watching the subbed version he mentions that he found a new assassin. All the times i viewed the OVA i thought that it was Katsura that killed the spy but when watching it this time i noticed that he wasnt holding a sword when the spy was dying. So now the question is, is Shi Shio the "replacement" battousai.

I think thats all the questions I have... Love this OVA so much so I wanted to get some final facts strait.

MrTicTac
Wed, 07-20-2005, 02:13 PM
okie its been a really long time since i've watched it,, but i think i'm right

yea saitoh was in there,, wasnt there a scene with teen kenshin fighting in an alley against several samurai (they wore like a light blue coat, with white ball decorations or something), he and saitoh fight and were evenly matched (he did do that sword-thrust technique i think) but the fight was interrupted in the end

XanBcoo
Wed, 07-20-2005, 04:18 PM
1.) That's the same Hajime Saito. How could you think it isn't?? He's the 3rd Squad Captain of the shinsengumi. It even says, Saito Hajime in the credits. Your friend needs to watch it again or something.

2.) As tic tac said, Kenshin and Saito's fight in the alley was interrupted. In fact, the two fought numerous times (Kenshin says this in the anime) but neither of them ever came out on top. The fight at the end of the OVA was a recreation of the flashback fight in the series (at the beginning of the Kyoto Arc)

3.) That was Shishio. In the manga, he actually speaks, saying something along the lines of: "it doesn't matter which side I'm on, because in the end it will be my government that comes out on top"

Shishio pwnzors

DraGunZer0
Wed, 07-20-2005, 04:31 PM
thanx for clarifying all, and yea I KNEW it was saitoh... stupid friends.... and I just caught Shishio today while rewatching the OVA. (Watched the OVA before ever hearing about Rurouni Kenshin actually)

Animeniax
Thu, 11-23-2006, 01:59 PM
I just finished watching the first OVA for Rurouni Kenshin and it was pretty awesome. Thanks goes to Assassin for recommending the OVA and the series.

Which fansub is best for the Kenshin TV series? I guess accuracy in translation is the most important quality I'm looking for, but even so I always like the Lunar sub of Bleach because it gave the dialogue some character.

Thanks in advance.

Zati
Thu, 11-23-2006, 02:14 PM
I think its between Anime HQ and Anime-4ever for the fansubs you can try one episode of each too see which one you will like but it seems Anime HQ will be better though.

Animeniax
Thu, 11-23-2006, 04:00 PM
A lot of the seeders where I get my anime from have the Rurouni Kenshin series from a fansub group that titles their work {P-A}. Any idea which group this is?

Zati
Thu, 11-23-2006, 04:05 PM
Yeah they are called Psychlo-Anime but sorry don't know much about them think they been around awhile though.

This is there site :

Psychlo - Anime Site (http://psychlo.hypno-toad.com/)

Animeniax
Thu, 11-23-2006, 04:11 PM
Cool thanks for all the information. There's this store where I'm at that sells fansubbed collections of anime for cheap and I saw RK there, but I didn't check who the fansub group was. I'd rather pay $30 for all 95 episodes instead of downloading them all. Well, maybe.

Kraco
Thu, 11-23-2006, 05:55 PM
Buying them would be an insult to the fansubbers, though.

And even if it wasn't, 30 dollars wouldn't be cheap but highway robbery. The shopkeeper got it free, after all, plus pennies for media.

kAi
Thu, 11-23-2006, 09:43 PM
and from ones that I've seen like that (the cheap ones from stores), the subtitles are shitty.

Animeniax
Thu, 11-23-2006, 11:32 PM
Buying them would be an insult to the fansubbers, though.

And even if it wasn't, 30 dollars wouldn't be cheap but highway robbery. The shopkeeper got it free, after all, plus pennies for media.

The set is in a nice production package with art from the series and all and it almost looks like production material from a major distributor, except it shows who the fansubber group is and has warnings that its a fansubbed distro of the material.

For me, $30 is pretty good compared to downloading 95 (or 66 if I don't bother watching the filler) files at over 200MB each on a satellite connection. Still, there is that satisfying feeling when you check your dl client and see another dl has finished.

and from ones that I've seen like that (the cheap ones from stores), the subtitles are shitty.
I saw the Bleach set of episodes 1-60 fansubbed by Lunar, so some of them have good subs.

Animeniax
Fri, 11-24-2006, 11:23 AM
So I've finished watching episode 3 of RK the TV series and it's pretty good, but that's only because I've seen the first OVA. Without having seen the OVA, I can't say I'd enjoy the series quite as much, and might not like it at all (low quality animation and some annoying staple characters like Yahiko and Kaoru).

It'd be like watching the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy without having read "The Hobbit" first.

Animeniax
Sat, 11-25-2006, 01:41 PM
For some reason I'm tired of hearing Kenshin say "de gozaru" or some variation after almost every sentence!!!
I haven't minded Naruto saying "dattebayo" or some variation after every other sentence. Weird.

Yukimura
Sat, 11-25-2006, 09:00 PM
You really shouldn't judge the show on the first three eps and the OVA...considering the best part of the show is eps 26-65 and they can only really be compared to the Trust and Betrayal OVA. I read the LotR series before the Hobbit and was simply impressed with how much better the Hobbit was compared to Book 1.

Animeniax
Sat, 11-25-2006, 11:34 PM
Yeah I'm going to stick with this show and watch it at least until the fillers start at 66. It is a pretty good anime story and character wise.

I'd have been lost (and possibly uninterested) in the Fellowship if I hadn't read the Hobbit first. Tolkien really should have made it a 4-book series, instead of a trilogy with the Hobbit as suggested reading.

Marik
Mon, 04-18-2011, 09:21 AM
The OVAs are getting a BD release and a new anime project has been green-lit. :)

The June issue of Shueisha's Jump Square magazine is announcing on Thursday that production on a new Rurouni Kenshin anime project has been green-lit. More information will be provided in future issues of Jump Square.

The magazine also noted that the Blu-ray Disc versions of the two Rurouni Kenshin original video anime (OVA) projects and the Rurouni Kenshin: Ishin Shishi no Chinkonka [Requiem] film will ship between August 24 and October 26. A compilation CD will ship on July 27. Rurouni Kenshin, Meiji Kenkaku Romantan Saisen, a new game for the Sony PSP system, already shipped last month.
News: New Rurouni Kenshin Anime Green-Lit (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-04-18/new-rurouni-kenshin-anime-green-lit)

Illrenmazou
Mon, 04-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Awesome!
I hope it's going to be something like FMA: Brotherhood.

Penner
Mon, 04-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Whaaat, a new Kenshin anime!? Awesome news!

shinta|hikari
Mon, 04-18-2011, 11:31 AM
Shinta's back!!! Kyaaaaaa~

/end of fangirl transformation

Carnage
Mon, 04-18-2011, 02:38 PM
My body is ready.

Kraco
Mon, 04-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Hajime Saitou's VA died some years ago, so if the new anime project covers any action with Saitou included, I'm not sure what to think of it. He sounded so jolly good in the original show. Also, I quite like the show until the end of mummy greater arc (that is, as long as it followed the manga). What comes after wasn't so significant even in the manga, so in my opinion something like FMA:B is not so essential. Although naturally I'd watch it nonetheless.

If I had to bet Shinta's left hand on something, I'd expect a movie, not a whole new series. But you never know.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 04-18-2011, 03:11 PM
I actually don't know how they can add to the series anymore. The series+OAVs pretty much gave a complete conclusion to the story.

I think it is possible that they make a new series and follow the manga completely, including the Tomoe flashback and Enishi arcs. A lot of stuff from there was changed or omitted in the OAVs.

bagandscalpel
Tue, 04-19-2011, 10:04 AM
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

The waiting finally paid off. The prospect of an FMA: Brotherhood-esque remake of Ruroken was something I could only JOKE about.

But now, it's FINALLY here!

Like others have expressed, I wonder who'll fill Saito's role? Here's to hoping they make sensible choices and choose someone like George Nakata.

Shadow Skill
Wed, 04-20-2011, 01:10 AM
Wow... I was just rewatching Kenshin the past week too. I can't wait. I hope it's a continuation. I don't like how episode 95 ended. :P

Idealistic
Wed, 04-20-2011, 03:59 AM
Wow... I was just rewatching Kenshin the past week too. I can't wait. I hope it's a continuation. I don't like how episode 95 ended. :P

That's because after the Kyoto arc it was all filler.

Shadow Skill
Wed, 04-20-2011, 06:22 PM
I also hope Hiko Seijurou(sp?) has more of presence than the first time around, preferrably an epic presence. :D

Surprised they didnt do a spinoff using him after his training killing random badguys before the war or having other Samurai find him to test their skills only to be killed mercilessly. :P

shinta|hikari
Wed, 04-20-2011, 07:27 PM
I want to see how badass he was when he was training Kenshin, so that we get a little bit of both.

Kite
Mon, 04-25-2011, 04:20 AM
I really hope its a reboot, or a more complete version of the final arc. This is one of my favorite scenes in the whole series and I've never found a nice wallpaper for it.

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/3882/unleduw.jpg

Marik
Wed, 04-27-2011, 12:30 AM
The official Twitter account of the Rurouni Kenshin anime franchise confirmed on Monday that the upcoming Blu-ray Disc releases of the two original video anime projects and film will have both Japanese and English subtitles.

News: Rurouni Kenshin BDs to Have English Subtitles in Japan (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-04-26/rurouni-kenshin-bds-to-have-english-subtitles-in-japan)

Marik
Sat, 08-20-2011, 12:51 PM
1st part in theaters in December with director Kazuhiro Furuhashi, Studio DEEN, most of original cast

The production company Aniplex confirmed on Saturday that the previously announced new Rurouni Kenshin anime series will be a two-part Shin Kyoto-Hen (New Kyoto Arc) original video anime series. The first part will play in Japanese theaters in December.

The new anime series will remake the Kyoto story arc of Nobuhiro Watsuki's original manga and the previous anime adaptation. Director Kazuhiro Furuhashi and Studio DEEN are returning to animate the new series along with musical composer Noriyuki Asakura. Mari Okada (AnoHana, Wandering Son) is writing the scripts this time. Hiromitsu Hagiwara (Saint Beast ~Ikusen no Hiru to Yoru Hen~) is the new character designer, and Hiro Kaburaki (Kimi ni Todoke) will take over as the episode director. The cast will remain the same except for the role of Hajime Saitō, who will be played by Ken Narita.

Cast:
Mayo Suzukaze (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=4606) as Kenshin Himura
Miki Fujitani (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=4608) as Kaoru Kamiya
Miina Tominaga (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=1584) as Yahiko Myoujin
Yuji Ueda (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=384) as Sanosuke Sagara
Tomo Sakurai (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=2410) as Misao Makimachi
Yoshito Yasuhara (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=2109) as Aoshi Shinomori
Masanori Ikeda (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=5621) as Makoto Shishio
Ken Narita as Hajime Saitō

Sources: ANN (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-08-20/new-rurouni-kenshin-to-be-2-part-shin-kyoto-video-anime) & Kenshin TV (http://www.kenshin-tv.com/shinsaku)

Kraco
Sat, 08-20-2011, 01:49 PM
The cast will remain the same except for the role of Hajime Saitō, who will be played by Ken Narita.

Considering his success with Sesshoumaru's voice, I'd say he can pull off the role decently.

Marik
Mon, 11-28-2011, 06:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=STh1zljsEdU

The official website for the Rurouni Kenshin anime franchise began streaming the latest promotional video for the first half of the new Rurouni Kenshin: Shin Kyoto-Hen anime project on Monday. The video was actually announced on Sunday, but the site had experienced trouble and had to begin streaming again on Monday. The site also posted selected cuts from the project.

Starting on December 17, the first part will have a week of advance screenings in two Japanese theaters.

The new anime series will remake the Kyoto story arc of Nobuhiro Watsuki's original manga and the previous anime adaptation. In particular, it will depict the battle of Kenshin Himura and Makoto Shishio and will be told from the point of view of the Oniwabanshū ninja Misao Makimachi.

bagandscalpel
Wed, 11-30-2011, 04:27 AM
In particular, it will depict the battle of Kenshin Himura and Makoto Shishio and will be told from the point of view of the Oniwabanshū ninja Misao Makimachi.

What.

This makes me wary, seeing as how Misao was never present in the infernal arena in either the manga or original TV anime.

Shishio battle was a pretty messy affair already, considering all the characters involved; no need to drag more in.

Alhuin
Thu, 12-01-2011, 02:48 PM
I'm hoping that just means she will be recounting the events in a story to her (grand)children or something.

"Back in my younger days, I traveled with a man that had an X scar on his face. He fought many great battles. I shall tell of these great battles to you now..."

Then the rest of the series is just "normal".

Archangel
Fri, 12-02-2011, 07:25 AM
When are these fuckers animating the revenge arc? :/

bagandscalpel
Fri, 12-02-2011, 03:52 PM
When are these fuckers animating the revenge arc? :/
There's a question I've been asking for nigh ten years, now.

If, and that's a big *IF*, this feature draws mass appeal, they'll probably consider animating the Jinchu arc. The train of thought, now, might be that jumping straight into the Jinchu arc would be pointless with so many fans already gone their own ways. So, this Kyoto-arc revamp is a way for them to test the waters and to call back all the fans of yesteryear.

Archangel
Fri, 12-02-2011, 04:03 PM
A movie would hardly do it justice though, there's just too much going on for them to be able to present it decently to the public in a 2 or even 3 hour format.

Not to mention that Trust & Betrayal is supposed to take place ( kinda ) in between that same arc.

bagandscalpel
Sat, 12-03-2011, 02:02 AM
Oh heavens, no. I would NOT want a Jinchu arc animation if it were limited to a movie. This Kyoto one is acceptable because we already got a pretty faithful TV anime adaptation.

Now, speaking of Trust and Betrayal, I wanna see them adapt it closer to the source material in that Kenshin has a streak of dark humor and burns with passionate rage, while Tomoe lays on the sarcasm where she can.

Archangel
Sat, 12-03-2011, 09:40 AM
I couldn't agree with you more, i hate it how they took all the humorous elements off of both the OVAs ( T&B and Death by aids ). It hardly felt like Kenshin anymore.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 12-03-2011, 12:09 PM
I actually liked the somber tone of the OAVs. I would not have minded a more faithful adaptation though.

Carnage
Sun, 12-04-2011, 02:01 PM
I actually liked the somber tone of the OAVs. I would not have minded a more faithful adaptation though.

I agree, I really enjoyed it more so than the manga actually.

Marik
Fri, 03-30-2012, 07:24 PM
[Taka-THORA] Rurouni Kenshin New Kyoto Arc - 01 - BD 10bit 1080p FLAC (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=300643) | BD 10bit 720p FLAC (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=300642)

bagandscalpel
Sat, 03-31-2012, 10:48 AM
Just some comments from watching the raw:

-Misao POV isn't as bad as I thought it would be, considering it fits in the timeline where she actually has a role to fit
-Poor Cho. Poor, poor Cho. Not only loses the weapons he would've originally used, but gets his eye put out, too. AND gets thrown around like a ragdoll on that last hit.
-Usui got mad jobbed, too.

-Fight animations are better- way, way better. I like how they took the original still-scenes and meshed them together into a more fluid sequence.
-Original songs are back; this is amazing.
-Ken Narita does a damn good Saito.

All in all, aside from the neutering of the Ten Swords, think this is a pretty good summary of the Kyoto arc, thus far.

Kraco
Sat, 03-31-2012, 01:04 PM
Felt like UBW all over again... So compressed. This would be poor for anybody who hasn't seen (or read) the original, but I suppose it was pretty good knowing everything beforehand, thus allowing to patch the holes mentally. I enjoyed the scenery and especially the music. The animation was good as well, yes.

David75
Fri, 07-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Felt like UBW all over again... So compressed. This would be poor for anybody who hasn't seen (or read) the original, but I suppose it was pretty good knowing everything beforehand, thus allowing to patch the holes mentally. I enjoyed the scenery and especially the music. The animation was good as well, yes.

Just had a projection of both eps with Kazuhiro FURUHASHI and Ai ABE answering questions at the end.

I did only know about the name of the anime, so it felt poor as Kraco said.
I guess it is only good for the hardcore fanbase getting upgraded image and CG quality... and hoping they'll animate the missing chapters. Yup, some fan asked, but the answer was like "maybe, depends on the sales"

I wonder if I'll dig into that show. I might, come fall/winter season.