PDA

View Full Version : War of the Worlds

Assassin
Sat, 07-02-2005, 05:45 PM
I went to see it on opening day. man, a fucking awesome movie. whats i really like about the movie is that it doesnt have a real plot, yet it's still such ana amazing movie. the portrayal of human emotion under such circumstances is simply amazing. and i have to say, dakota fanning is an amazing actress.

the best part about the movie was how disturbing it could be, even though it isn't meant to be a scary film. i especially liked the part when they're in the basement hiding, and cruise looks out the window and sees teh spray of blood in the air. and also, when fanning is by the river and sees the body floating by....fucking amazing acting.

i suggest u all go see it (especially if ur high...makes it that much more creepy). definately a great sumemr movie.

Sensei Jon
Sat, 07-02-2005, 05:51 PM
I just got back from it. I thought it had its moments but wasn't overly impressed. I'd go into why I wasn't impressed, etc etc, but I really don't want to ruin it for others. The effects were good and the movie well done, but I just didn't really some of the things that they did.

Knives122
Sat, 07-02-2005, 06:04 PM
well I got to see this movie while I was in Hawaii last week(which reminds me: I need to make a thread on that eventually)(also on opening day), and it was alright. One of the things that annoyed me(but at the same time made the movie good) was the fact that they explained ABSOLUTELY NOTHING(for ex: how did Robbie(the son) survive the flaming tripod of death while everything else died) ; which made alot of sense we werent seeing this movie from some scientists with all the answers perspective, we where seeing it from a dads point of view who had no idea what was going on. Which both helped and hurt it.

a couple of things that I thought were funny/strange things I noticed in the movie:
1. Funny: The people in the river, that first one made me my dad and many other people in the theater laugh, then even more started coming.
2. Strange: The whole Zombie like scene when they were driving through the crowd(i dont like zombie movies)
3. Strange: If the lightning bolts knocked out all electrical devices(any thing of that sort) how was there a guy filming the first tripod arrival.
4. Cool: (yeah I know, but this was cool) The Heat Rayss(thats what they were called in the original book), they were amazing, I was wondering how the aliens were going to kill the humans, and that was the perfect way(other then the red weed valley(which was amazing and shocking at the same time)).

Overall it was an alright movie, if I had to choose I would've just waited to get the DVD in 6 months, and would've saw Batman again. On the bright side though I did get to see the King Kong trailer so its all good.

Assassin
Sat, 07-02-2005, 06:46 PM
true, there were quite a few things that werent explained, but u have to remember, the movie isn't really about the invasion, its about how ppl react when put in an "end of teh world" situation. the mass hysteria, every man for himself type scenes is what the movie was all about. like the car scene when cruise is trying to get his daughter out, and everyone is trying to get the car without even caring about a little girl stuck inside. looked at from that prespective, this movie really is a masterpiece...imo anyway.

and yes, those heat rays were awsome. ppl just exploding into dust...amazing.

Jessper
Sat, 07-02-2005, 08:18 PM
I thought this movie was great, about half way through I realized that the feelings were conveyed wonderfully as I was anxious and scared during some of the scenes with the Tripod's but not like a boo scared more like scared for the family. It was cool all in all =P

intense
Sat, 07-02-2005, 08:32 PM
the movie has its special effects such as sound, picture, etc etc... however i hated the ending... the ending was more of a "wtf?????" ending... like cmon!... they just died just like that!... i and because of the ending, i didnt like the movie much. It did give me suspense and thrill from the actions scenes and stuff though. OH... another part of that "wtf???" ending is how the son lived!... they should have just kept him dead or soemthing

I dont like the movie much, but I just bought the book "War of the Worlds" by H.G Wells... hopefully the books is gonna be better than the movie... hopefully ill finish this in like 3 days.

kooshi
Sat, 07-02-2005, 09:28 PM
War of the Worlds was an interesting movie. Yeah, there were some parts that killed the movie, but otherwise, it was great. Me, I don't get scared or freaked or any of that stuff very easily, so I found it a little funny when I heard other people in the theatre gasping or giving a little scream, those kind of stuff. The only part that made me slightly...... "sick" was seeing the land with all those guts and veins everywhere. It was a little too much for my tastes.

Astronopolis
Sat, 07-02-2005, 10:32 PM
i was just pissed that speilburg changed so much from the book yet kept the same ending. bleh

kAi
Sat, 07-02-2005, 11:02 PM
THE BIGGEST WASTE OF FUCKING MONEY EVER!!! DON'T SEE THIS AT THE MOVIES!

If you've seen Batman Begins, watch it again instead, forget this piece of crap that only as a few things that were good about it.

OTHERWISE THIS WAS COMPLETE FUCKING GARBAGE!!!

Hellraiser
Sat, 07-02-2005, 11:49 PM
Do the aliens look cool? I'll watch it if they are.

Knives122
Sat, 07-02-2005, 11:59 PM
not really, think of the Independence Day aliens with bigger heads and a mouth, and very slender bodies, basically they looked like frogs on steroids.

King Kong on the other hand looked amazing i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

kAi
Sun, 07-03-2005, 12:24 AM
Yeah, the trailer for King Kong looked awesome, then what appears? OMG!

Jaredster
Sun, 07-03-2005, 03:39 AM
The special effects for King Kong look really really bad though.

basey44
Sun, 07-03-2005, 05:21 AM
kai what are you smoking, this movie was awesome. i loved like all of it except for robbie living and the god damn end, i fucking hate the end. you'd have thought that the aliens would have some kind of space suits or something, or at least got immunised, jeez. it seriously wouldve made more sense just for the aliens to win and have all the humans die.

i thought the effects were really good, everything blended together really well, also i was happy when tom cruise (forgot his character name :confusedi/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif realised he had to kill that guy. it wouldve been so much easier if he hadve killed him earlier though

The Heretic Azazel
Sun, 07-03-2005, 11:27 AM
Is this even worth downloading?

And it couldn't be worse than SIgns. Come on..

XwingRob
Sun, 07-03-2005, 09:31 PM
I enjoyed the movie. Of course the whole getting killed by diseases thingy was sorta silly. I mean it's just that when HG Wells made this, the whole concept of containment suits didn't really exist. But it's possible the aliens came from a world with no bacteria lifeforms.
The only thing I didn't care for was the kid surviving. But I watch Gundam SEED, so I guess I'm use to people surviving certain death situations.i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif
Now, as for the camera working after the EMP blasts well... don't EMP blasts only affect electronics that are ON? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I swear that's how it works. So therefore, the camera was off completely when the emp blasts happened.

basey44
Sun, 07-03-2005, 10:00 PM
yea im not sure about that emp thing, lol better get an expert in here

The only thing I didn't care for was the kid surviving

really? i quite liked how how managed to run over the hill, through a wall of fire and past am army of tripods. THEN was able to run to Boston

Lefty
Sun, 07-03-2005, 10:43 PM
Yeah that was the one part I really hated as an audience member as a filmmaker is, impressed but also disapointed about few major flubs they had.

badass
Mon, 07-04-2005, 11:33 AM
The special effects were impressive, but it wasn't enough to make the movie unshitty. The only reason I didn't just leave the theatre right away is because I was really hoping I'd get to see Dakota Fanning get killed later on in the movie. God damn that bitch is annoying.

masamuneehs
Mon, 07-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Just like almost every highly touted movie in recent memory. "Director: BIG SHOT HERE. LEad actor: BIG GOSSIP HEADLINE GUY NAME HERE. Crazy special effects! Remake of the original classic that should just have been left alone! With a small kid freaking out! Comes another shitty Hollywood rehash that we will try to trick you to see by bribing all the movie reviewers!"

War of Worlds was excellent in its own day. Back when humans really would have been totally fucked in the ass by aliens was its setting, and it inspired great terror in Orson Wells' radio presentation of it precisely for that reason. Even with special effects and whatnot, this movie is just out of date to really be appreciated when presented as modern cinema. PErhaps if they stressed the setting, or had it in black and white, it would have worked better.

Go rent Independence Day instead of wasting your time on this film.

Assassin
Mon, 07-04-2005, 02:10 PM
are u on crack?

independance day was the biggest piece of crap ever. it wouldve been some what deent if it wasnt so cheesy.

war of the worlds is a piece of art. most of you dont seem to get that. its not suppsoed to be a independance day type "humans vs aliens" movie. pay attention to how the movie starts and ends: by talking about life.

the point of it was to show that all life comes to an end, and even the mighty alien invaders arent gods, with an immunity to death.

and for the record, all movies have some "big gossip headline guy" as a lead actor. thats why they're called stars. becasue the who world knows then and talks about them. do u expect them to come to ur house and ask u to star in a big hollywood production instead?

Lefty
Mon, 07-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by: Assassin
are u on crack?

independance day was the biggest piece of crap ever. it wouldve been some what deent if it wasnt so cheesy.

war of the worlds is a piece of art. most of you dont seem to get that. its not suppsoed to be a independance day type "humans vs aliens" movie. pay attention to how the movie starts and ends: by talking about life.

the point of it was to show that all life comes to an end, and even the mighty alien invaders arent gods, with an immunity to death.

finaly someone else that hates independence day. Yes I do agree with you on that war of the worlds is more artistic in it's redition of humanity falling apart in a great time of stress adn perill which was shown very acuratly with van being covered by desperte and fearfull people.

kAi
Mon, 07-04-2005, 05:58 PM
I think you people were dropped on your heads at birth for liking this.

...but it's still a piece of fucking shit. The good scenes in this movie can't pick it up on a whole.

SK
Mon, 07-11-2005, 08:36 AM
it was so good im thinkin wow this movie was actually good. then came the ending, jesus that was weak, it was about on par with the ending in signs. these aliens who have been studying the planet for millions of years didnt test the atmosphere and know about the millions of viruses and bacterias? retarted.

intense
Mon, 07-11-2005, 10:28 PM
so it was the atmosphere that killed them?
i always thought it was the birds taking a crap on them hahaha.. i kid i kid.
but seriously, i still dont know how they died....
im still reading the book, im on like the 6th chapter now, havent ha dmuch time to read it though... hopefully soontimes so i can get the story.

darkshadow
Mon, 07-11-2005, 10:48 PM
they died of our bacteria and micro organisms, sure man has adapted to them since creation and over time, but there was no way these aliens cell structure was gonna be able to withstand them, so if they stayed in their tripods without doing the bloodthing or coming out, they would've survived prolly.............somehow

Mut
Tue, 07-12-2005, 12:38 AM
This movie sounds as dumb as the aliens from Signs dying from water.

Lefty
Tue, 07-12-2005, 02:27 AM
Pretty damn close. All the destruction and mayhem that follow the arival of the aliens is bad ass but past that it kinda get old fast.

Xollence
Tue, 07-12-2005, 07:29 AM
Yeah I agree with you on Independence Day, but War of the World wasn't that great either, it was overhyped.

Tinks
Tue, 07-12-2005, 08:52 AM
This is the best Sci Fi movie we've had in years, hands down
The only thing you could even remotely complain about is Robbie living and that single block in Boston being just fine
Everything else was executed exceedingly well, acting was believable especially the little girl, and the movie was all around intense
I havent seen any justifiable reasons posted behind saying "its bad" that should make anyone think otherwise

Go see Batman instead? Hey guys, how about this for a flaw... How is it a microwave machine that turns all water to gas not turning the water within people to gas since we are made up of over 80 percent water? Technically Batman and everyone else should have exploded considering the microwaves could easily go through anything.

Raven
Tue, 07-19-2005, 10:07 AM
Yes I'm bumping this thread from the second page, because I just got back from seeing this movie. What a crock of shit!

It had so many "WTF? Bullshit!" moments, cliches, cheesy lines, pathetic attempts at character development, etc. I found myself wanting everyone to die, especially the girl. Oh God, the girl. One second she's all mature speaking like an adult, the next second she's throwing a tantrum like a toddler. And the son surviving! Aaargh. And as if he'd go to the battle, let alone able to actually get in (considering the soldiers were sending everyone away). What, did he think they'd give him a gun and let him fight or something?

Another example of the crapness; why did the aliens spend half an hour thoroughly searching that one house? JUST NUKE IT LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE! Oh, and the ending. Worst. Ending. Ever. The untouched, deserted street, with a perfect house holding the family that looks like they've all just stepped out of a beauty parlour.

I can't believe anyone can call this "art" or a masterpiece. Crappest movie I've seen since Electra. My brain hurts. ;_;

Assassin
Tue, 07-19-2005, 11:18 PM
die!

Freki
Fri, 07-22-2005, 11:50 PM
Glad to see other people found this movie terrible. Also about the EMP only knocking out things that are on, if that was the case Cruise would not have had the only working car, so even if that is really the case, in the movie the EMP knocked out everything regardless so the camcorder shouldn't have worked but hey why let common sense get in the way of a good shot of filming the camcorder filming the mayhem. The little girl was annoying. The aliens planned their attack for millions of years and watched the planet enough to become jealous of people but were totally oblivious to the fact that disease exists on the planet? Even if disease explains how the aliens died, why did their shields stop working it seems that the dieases would take the aliens not their machines. Also the fact that this story was really just about how it took the end of the world for tom cruise's character to become a good dad was pretty boring.(so good a dad that he left his son to walk into certain death by wall of fire, nevermind the fact that he lived) Also the plane that crashed in that neighborhood took out everything except their stupid van. I hated this movie so much and these are just a few of the reasons why. I would say it was the worst i saw this summer but I saw Star Wars 3 and Kingdom of Heaven this summer too. Oh and the thing i wanted to see most, Tim Robbins bludgened to death was done off screen with that damn kid singing.

Mut
Sat, 07-23-2005, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by: CmDr_RavEn
Crappest movie I've seen since Electra.
Hahaha, you actually saw Electra.

Raven
Sat, 07-23-2005, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by: Mut@chi

Originally posted by: CmDr_RavEn
Crappest movie I've seen since Electra.
Hahaha, you actually saw Electra.
Unfortunately, yes. My IQ dropped 30 points in the process.

Giving me an even 150. *cough*

Tinks
Sat, 07-23-2005, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by: Freki
Glad to see other people found this movie terrible. Also about the EMP only knocking out things that are on, if that was the case Cruise would not have had the only working car, so even if that is really the case, in the movie the EMP knocked out everything regardless so the camcorder shouldn't have worked but hey why let common sense get in the way of a good shot of filming the camcorder filming the mayhem. The little girl was annoying. The aliens planned their attack for millions of years and watched the planet enough to become jealous of people but were totally oblivious to the fact that disease exists on the planet? Even if disease explains how the aliens died, why did their shields stop working it seems that the dieases would take the aliens not their machines. Also the fact that this story was really just about how it took the end of the world for tom cruise's character to become a good dad was pretty boring.(so good a dad that he left his son to walk into certain death by wall of fire, nevermind the fact that he lived) Also the plane that crashed in that neighborhood took out everything except their stupid van. I hated this movie so much and these are just a few of the reasons why. I would say it was the worst i saw this summer but I saw Star Wars 3 and Kingdom of Heaven this summer too. Oh and the thing i wanted to see most, Tim Robbins bludgened to death was done off screen with that damn kid singing.

Go read the book

XanBcoo
Sat, 07-23-2005, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by: Freki
Also the fact that this story was really just about how it took the end of the world for tom cruise's character to become a good dad was pretty boring.(so good a dad that he left his son to walk into certain death by wall of fire, nevermind the fact that he lived).

I'd say the movie was more like assassin said: about life coming to an end, human nature in the face of danger, etc etc.
You have your opinion, but I liked the Father/Son relationship part of the story in this movie. Tom Cruise's character came out in the end a much better person than when he started. I thought it was cool.

And (this is debatable) I think that letting Robbie go off was not bad parenting at all. It was more like he was letting his son go (to use the cliche - he let him "leave the nest"), to go off and live his life, become a man at the end of days, blah blah blah. Cruise realized that he couldn't contain his son as he had been trying to, and allowed him make his own decisions. Yeah, it was unfortunate that Robbie "died' the next instant...but shit happens.

Freki
Sun, 07-24-2005, 12:48 AM
I don't care if it is like that because of the book, I still disliked those aspects of the movie and the fact that any of them were in the book really isn't gonna make me suddenly like those aspects of the movie, just dislike the book. The father/son part was him being a jerk and the kid hating him, and because the kid had no faith in his father he took off. Prolly the most annoying thing is the fact that this movie prolly didn't even need to show the aliens tripods and it woulda been same thing. They coulda just alluded to the attack and showed aftermath and nothing would have really changed except tom cruise wouldn't have had to detroy one or have the giant hide and seek session in the house, if it was advertised this way it would be one thing but the commercials are all about the aliens and getting to the theater for what I saw was a major let down just because of that.. I was told to "Prepare for the event that would change my world"...was that tom cruise becoming a good dad was that the event?