PDA

View Full Version : Help ripping to DVD

Yami4ct
Tue, 06-28-2005, 10:07 PM
I've just downloaded a bunch of Naruto Episodes using BT and need to free up some HD space. IS there an app i can use to transfer these files to a type that can be burnt to a DVD? All the others I have tried gave me an error about not finding a decompressor or something like that. Plz help!

complich8
Wed, 06-29-2005, 12:07 AM
you'd need the appropriate video codec to decode the original streams. Assuming you're trying to burn to dvd (for playback in a normal dvd player) you'd also need any dvd authoring software. Assuming you have that and that's what you want to do, all you need is xvid.

If you're just trying to dump off a couple data dvds, you don't need the codec installed to do that, but you'd still need it installed to play them. Also, be aware that you should be able to fit something like 26 episodes to a dvd as a data dvd, where you'll probably only get maybe 5 or 6 at most on an authored dvd. So it really depends on your purposes.

And for a point of accuracy, "ripping" always involves getting stuff from a less malleable format into a more useful one. So, getting video off the dvd onto the hard drive and decrypted, or getting music off the cd, or whatever. What you're trying to do is either simply burning (for data dvds) or dvd authoring (for dvd-player playback).

Also, it's notable that you'll probably need about a dvd's worth of free space to actually author the dvds (since you're reencoding them), and it'll probably take significantly longer to do so.

Yami4ct
Wed, 06-29-2005, 09:51 AM
cool so all I need to do is install this codec and encode the files as normal. Thanks alot.

EnZimE
Thu, 08-04-2005, 06:55 PM
ive tried to do this for a while and if possible, can u explain it to sumone who has no clue i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif maybe at least a least of all programs used would be enough. thx