PDA

View Full Version : Dirty little secret

Celestine sama
Mon, 06-27-2005, 08:53 AM
By this i mean do you tell ppl and friends you met in school or where ever
as long as you met then IN PERSON.

Alot of ppl discuss anime and sutch on forums but thats not what i mean.

It just so happens to be that alot of ppl will not understand the amount of time
you spend watching some cartoon crap, right?

Tell me your experiences

I only tell ppl who i can trust and then not the whole truth at that.

kAi
Mon, 06-27-2005, 09:38 AM
I couldn't care less, all my friends (I think) know that I watch anime.
I'm not exactly going to go up to a person and ask them if they watch anime, but if we talk for a while, it may come up, I couldn't care less what they think, if they say you watch that crap, I'll say "Do you watch TV?" coz I think that's complete crap.

Death BOO Z
Mon, 06-27-2005, 09:58 AM
most of the people I assosicate with know, some of them watch anime themselves...

as for how did they figure it out? I have a dirty habbit of doodeling in the back of my notebooks, so I usually draw stuff from the latest anime i've watched, and while I was drawing DBZ like stuff, people recognized it, and from there, it's all history.

actually, I also think I spend too much time watching crap anime, more than 50% of what i watch is basically pure bred crap that doens't fit even on national tv...

PSJ
Mon, 06-27-2005, 10:35 AM
No i don't tell people just out of the blue that i watch anime. There is no reason to do so. I usually donät share to much of my personal life with other people. However if it comes up in a discussion or something i might tell people that i watch it.

Xollence
Mon, 06-27-2005, 10:46 AM
Almost everyone I know watches anime so there's no real point in keeping a secret.

nests
Mon, 06-27-2005, 10:57 AM
Most of my close friends know that Im an anime freak even though about 99% of them dont lke anime and for some reason they always tell me that I dont look like a person that would like this sort of thing

Mut
Mon, 06-27-2005, 10:57 AM
In addition to what PSJ said, I had never had the chance to tell people that I watch anime except once or twice when THEY brought it up to me (cuz I'm Asian). Telling someone you watch anime out of the blue is like a gay man meeting someone for the first time and annoucing that he is gay. It just doesn't make sense, there is no need for it.

Terracosmo
Mon, 06-27-2005, 11:36 AM
People who try to "hide" their interests are pathetic morons. I have no respect for them.
Anime is one of my main interests in life, people usually get to know that very early when meeting me.
(Of course I don't scream it out randomly, I am naturally talking about when it gets brought up)
If they for some reason have something against that, I kick them out of my life with no further ado.

Aeon
Mon, 06-27-2005, 12:07 PM
All my friends know that I watch anime cause it's really not something to hide since I like it. Everyone at work knows that I watch it cause they'll see me looking around the anime section and ask do I watch it which is usually followed by what have you seen, do you watch toonami or I can't get into that stuff. Like nests said I always get you don't look like the type of person that would be into that kind of stuff.

Terracosmo
Mon, 06-27-2005, 12:33 PM
Same here with the "you don't look like it" stuff.

Just because you are a nerd you don't need to look like one. It's unfortunate that some people get so consumed that it effects their well-being.

Rhanfahl
Mon, 06-27-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by: Terracosmo
Same here with the "you don't look like it" stuff.

Just because you are a nerd you don't need to look like one. It's unfortunate that some people get so consumed that it effects their well-being.

Those people usually don't have a firm grip on reality anyways.

Its just like any other hobby. Yeah, I watch anime. I also build model ships, and study 3 totally different martial systems. All are hobbies, if someone thinks one of them is "nerdy" or whatever, then they don't really know much about themselves. Hell, some people love NASCAR...I'm not one of them, I can't see the reason for driving around a circle 400 times and putting it on national TV. Not to mention the trememdous waste of fuel. But if you like NASCAR, great, kudos to you.

This forum is just a great gathering place for people to discuss hobbies and interests alike....and slander the hell out of each other.

Assertn
Mon, 06-27-2005, 12:42 PM
most of my friends either watch anime themselves, or dont know enough about it to have any strong opinion of it. For the latter, I usually introduce them to something they'd like and turn them into the former i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

DragonSpirit
Mon, 06-27-2005, 02:10 PM
like most of us (probably) i don't spend all day watching anime...just here and there , when i can. but i don't think watching cartoons (anime) is some dirty little secret... all my friends and family know i watch it and if they say something i proudly say you damn right i watch it! I even got my girl friend, and her younger brother and sister into some anime's.

DragonSpirit
Mon, 06-27-2005, 02:13 PM
doh sorry lag caused me to think i didnt post my first reply...

Honoko
Mon, 06-27-2005, 04:20 PM
well, for me depends on who. my friends, i don't really care-- but i teach teenagers once a week and every once in a while, before class starts i overhear conversations about what happened during the latest ep of naruto..... >_<; they will never know!!

but it's a bit weird to consider anime as a "dirty" secret. why can't it be just a plain ol' secret?

NM
Mon, 06-27-2005, 05:02 PM
Most of my friends know I like anime but none of them do (maybe 1 or 2 of them like it but thats it). They say that anime is stupid and all that but I don't really care. Watching anime and reading manga are things I like to do because their enjoyable. Besides, they are the ones who are missing out on great stories to be seen/read. So I wouldn't say me being an anime nerd is a secret for me. I'm proud to be an anime nerd and I'm sure most people here on GW are to i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif.

Board of Command
Mon, 06-27-2005, 05:57 PM
I picked the 3rd choice. I talk with all kinds of people, and some of them aren't open minded enough to accept the fact that anime is much more than DBZ. To the people that understand that, I have to problem telling them. To the ones that *might* understand that, I tell a little bit. To the people whom I know won't understand that, I'll keep quiet unless they actually ask, which is very unlikely.

masamuneehs
Mon, 06-27-2005, 05:58 PM
While I don't fit the nerd stereotype at all I am in fact a nerd at heart. I still get my fair share of girls and go out partying with the best of them, but I simply choose to spend a sizeable portion of my free time watching/obsessing over anime. I also have several other hobbies that I keep quietly to myself. I think there's a huge difference between trying to hide something you do and just not going around shouting about it to the world. I'm naturally a private person.

Terracosmo
Mon, 06-27-2005, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by: masamuneehs
While I don't fit the nerd stereotype at all I am in fact a nerd at heart. I still get my fair share of girls and go out partying with the best of them, but I simply choose to spend a sizeable portion of my free time watching/obsessing over anime.

This sounds a lot like me actually, I do a lot of both worlds... but very often I choose to not hang out and socialize and rather just abuse some anime & games. Some people find this weird, mainly ones who feel like "you don't have a life if you aren't out getting drunk 24/7", but I couldn't care less about those morons.

I often get asked "how do you have fun doing absolutely nothing all the time?" well there's only one answer to that, that "doing nothing" is absolutely relative. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

KitKat
Mon, 06-27-2005, 07:50 PM
I don't really care if people know I watch anime. If people ask me about what I do in my free time, it inevitably comes up. I only know one or two people that are against anime. The rest don't really care, or else I've introduced them to anime and gotten them hooked. Also, watching anime is a social activity for me. I nearly always watch it with my housemates or friends. It's a lot of fun to watch with a group. We have an anime club at my school that I go to sometimes, and most people there don't look like 'geeks' per se. They're mostly pretty normal people that just get together for a common interest that happens to be watching anime.

Racso
Mon, 06-27-2005, 11:40 PM
I like Anime And so What!!!...........Well at leest this is what I say to every one!!!!! anyway they dont't care if i talk about this or that(Anime) because how cool is it.......... the only thing they don't stop asking is

How many Hentai movies i have seen????????????............Even my girlfriend....

Eurasian
Tue, 06-28-2005, 05:38 AM
I mention it sometimes if they talk about it. I would never deny that I watch anime but I wouldn't just bring it up out of the blue or something.

Mae
Sat, 07-02-2005, 07:21 PM
I really don't thinks it "dirty," unless you're referring to hentai.... But as for the question, I'll talk about anime if it comes up, whatever. My fifty-year old mother loved Disney movies and went to see Alladin and Beauty and the Beast on their opening weekends, so I guess I don't have the "animation is only for kids" view.

*rant, vaguely on topic, feel free to skip*
I hate it when people only like things their "supposed" to like, such as classical literature or jazz or something. It's more interesting to have different people with all kinds of hobbies. And I hate it when people pretend to like jazz in an attempt to look cool. It's boring to here them natter on with NO passion at all and expecting me to play along too. I'd rather hear about something the actually ENJOY, even if it is something non-standard like raising hedgehogs or extreme refrigerator costomizing or Danish art films. Hell, ESPECIALLY if it's something non-standard. Standard is boring.

2:25
Sat, 07-02-2005, 07:40 PM
It's not really a secret. Most of my friends know that I like to watch anime. It's my hobby and they just accept it as another childish trait of mine.

Roko
Sat, 07-02-2005, 09:30 PM
I used to tell people, but everyone would just stare at me since they usually associated anime with hentai, and it's just really annoying to explain everything, since they would then associate it with childish cartoons. So now, I only tell my closest friends (now they're all into it); its usually not something that's brought up when I'm attempting to make friends, unless I over hear people talking about anime, in which case I just wander over and chat with them and make friends with them.

Ghettobob
Sun, 07-03-2005, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by: Roko
I used to tell people, but everyone would just stare at me since they usually associated anime with hentai, and it's just really annoying to explain everything, since they would then associate it with childish cartoons. So now, I only tell my closest friends (now they're all into it); its usually not something that's brought up when I'm attempting to make friends, unless I over hear people talking about anime, in which case I just wander over and chat with them and make friends with them.

Pretty much the same with me. I got my friend into anime. And he watched more anime episodes than i have all naruto,prince of tennis,bleach, yakitate japan. In probally a month! (Whole Series). Whenever I said anime people use to say im stupid or w/e cause they think its only hentai or naked japanese pics. But i dont even look at that stuff. I cant stand doing that all the time dicussing the differences. But I cant help talking about anime. Its really good. I got a ton of detentions talking to my friend in class about an anime.

And im not no Otaku either. People dont think of me as a person that likes anime. Because most of the time I see the kids that like anime and their wimpy. Im like the opposite of that.

Y
Sun, 07-03-2005, 02:51 AM
I don't get why "liking anime" is a category. I like film and books too, is that noteworthy?

The god damn stereotypes that are perpetuated by almost everyone (especially "anime fans") really disappoint me.

Hakeem_21
Sun, 07-03-2005, 03:17 PM
I tell everyone i have know for a while cause its a big part of my personal life. I watch more anime then Tv for example.

Mostly people know of anime and they go "yes i love anime,have you seen this show and that"
Actually its more common that people ask me if i watch anime and they tell me about how great shows like Kenshin,Ghost Shell etc.

People who didnt know of anime when i asked i have suggested anime shows to them and most of them love it,like 5 of my siblings who love it now,most of my internet friends people i talk to in msn or in the swedish forum that i write watch it now.

Aramis
Mon, 07-04-2005, 07:08 AM
I let my friends know...since they all watch more or less of it or at least know of it. Never bring it up too often though.
But then there's the thing that the amount of anime that is shown on TV here is very little, and at least 8 years behind the stuff we're seeing as fansubs from the net. So while some might say they've watched some anime they're still on a whole different level. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Def_X
Wed, 07-06-2005, 12:03 AM
I'm not sure how anime could be a dirty secret. I love anime have watched it since I found out about EVA like 6 years ago. My bigger problem is no longer talking about anime but explaining it. Especially to 30+ year old adults. They dont really get why I like watching shows in Japanese "like it's really hard to read". I usually try to explain that anime spans all genres like movies do. There are comedies, dramas, and action. If they still can't understand how a cartoon can be all those things I usually just say it's animation for all ages and turn around and keep watching anime. Anime is certainly nothing to be embarrassed about. You are basically opening up yourself to another culture and embracing it.