PDA

View Full Version : Other good Gundam series/ova/movie

DeluxSkillz
Thu, 06-23-2005, 09:25 AM
so what other gundam series/ova/movies do you like besides Gundam Seed/Destiny/Wing
i just finished Seed and Destiny up to 35 and I'm already downloading Wing so i'm interested in any other good gundam anime you guys might like so i can give them a try

DDBen
Thu, 06-23-2005, 09:41 AM
run and hide from G-gundam and SD-Gundam.

However as for a few good ones.
X Gundam
Z Gundam
ZZ Gundam
V Gundam

to name a few atleast.

Psyke
Thu, 06-23-2005, 09:53 AM
I'm not afraid to say I loved G Gundam.

Other Gundam shows I'd recommend are Char's Counterattack, 0083 Stardust Memories and 8th MS Team.

DDBen
Thu, 06-23-2005, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by: Psyke

Other Gundam shows I'd recommend are Char's Counterattack, 0083 Stardust Memories and 8th MS Team.

To be fair I have only seen the dub of G-Gundam but to me atleast it was absolutely horrible. I also didn't care for the 8th MS Team at all it seemed like a short rehash of other series without any real depth.

0083 Stardust Memories was great I would recommend it but its simply a movie and I have yet to see Char's Counterattack.

PSJ
Thu, 06-23-2005, 10:24 AM
Gundam 0079, only seen the movie version but it was good. X is decent nothing special but it's worth the watch.

Gundam Wing is not a good Gundam series. It sucks.

Psyke
Thu, 06-23-2005, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by: DDBen

To be fair I have only seen the dub of G-Gundam but to me atleast it was absolutely horrible. I also didn't care for the 8th MS Team at all it seemed like a short rehash of other series without any real depth.

0083 Stardust Memories was great I would recommend it but its simply a movie and I have yet to see Char's Counterattack.

I saw the US dubbed G Gundam before and yes it was horrible. The original japanese voices made the show so much better.

As for Stardust memories I think you are refering to the OVA movie. It was actually a series but they compressed the entire series into an OVA movie. Do catch the original series else you will be missing out a lot.

Deblas
Thu, 06-23-2005, 10:34 AM
Gundam Wing is not as good as Seed but, watch the movie Endless Waltz. That movie kicked ass.

Guardian_2000
Thu, 06-23-2005, 11:05 AM
Lets see. Top picks.

If you are gonna watch anything UC. Its good to watch the original MSG. Either the trilogy movies or the series. Be forewarned thou its dated. The show was created in the late 70s. But after that is its sequel Z Gundam. Said by many to be the best UC series. Meh it was pretty good. I'm a big fan thou of 8th MS Team where you get to see the MP Ground Type Gundam. And then there is the series 0083. 0083 is prolly my favorite UC. Some people like to go in order some don't. It would be cool prolly to have seen everything in order.

MSG
8th MS Team
0083 "personal favorite"
Z Gundam "decent series"
ZZ Gundam
CCA "hated. Had my fill of Amuro by the end of MSG and Char by the middle of Z"
F91
V Gundam "decent series"

Of the AU's definately give Gundam X a look. The X Divider suit was sweet. But the biggest AU other than SEED and Destiny was Turn-A. That was the big favorite and it is really good. Sorta meant to be the Gundam that takes place after all other Gundams AU and UC series linked.

kinggalaxia
Thu, 06-23-2005, 11:44 AM
yes, just about EVERY Gundam title is worth at least a look. of course, some don't rule much at all.

the Good:
Zeta Gundam - it's so great that the USA UC fans got to see this. Char/Quatro = teh man.
0083 - THIS is where Zeta's awesome story starts. with a badass villain and great songs, it's near #1 for me
G-Gundam - yeah, you read that right. GG is one of the best OVERALL. Oh, it's only Gundam in name? so what?? it's fun, exciting, tragic, & heartwarming. I bawl like a baby at Master Asia in ep 45.
Seed Destiny - already, I'm saying GSD is one of the best. it has grand mysteries and conflicting characters, elements I love in my Gundam
Gundam X - best AU overall. it explains the Newtype completely and gives us a carefree feel, which was FRESH from the uber-angst of Wing. it was so fresh that X only got 39 eps -_-

the Bad:
Gundam ZZ - a spit in the face of Zeta's masterful plot. Neo Zeon = pussies
F91 - just meh. they should made this a series & added the events of "Crossbone Gundam" to it.
Gundam Wing - worst AU of them all. I won't lie, it was my first Gundam... but looking back? yeah, just pretty boys and explosions
0080 - lotta people say it's boring and I'll admit, it's slow. make sure you're not itching for giant robot action. this is enjoyed best if you're passionate about Gundam
Seed - it just didn't feel as awesome as I thought it'd be. felt like an amalgamized rehash of just about every Gundam before it. HATED some characters + the ending came outta nowhere and wasn't fulfilling
G-Savior - .....................NO!!!

the I-Dunno:
Victory - have it all, haven't watched
Turn A - downloading now, from Hero Legends (www.herolegends.com)
original Gundam - saw it all dub only and it's....y'know (evil dubs). have the trilogy and love it. either good or bad, I don't care. it's the LEGEND. lol
Char's Counterattack - I love it because it's the end of Char/Amuro....but it just leaves a weird taste in my mouth sometimes. it begins w/ boom, Char's there. woulda been nice to see Neo Zeon II rise w/ Char. also, the ending was blah.

Madell
Thu, 06-23-2005, 11:47 AM
0080 is war in a pocket right ?
Then OMFG king...you freakin' *!@#(@!# it is one of the beste gundam series dude !1!!
And seed is much better then destiny

kinggalaxia
Thu, 06-23-2005, 12:33 PM
I didn't say it sucked...I like it, because I love Gundam and how its events affect its own people. It's just not as loved by some others as it is me.

and please, don't rag on me. I don't see other people verbally beating on others' opinions *sigh*

and no, GSD > Seed

NineTailsKitsu
Thu, 06-23-2005, 12:45 PM
"Look...! The East Is Burning Red!"

..........yeah.

G-Gundam was decent, though obviously someones sad attempt to mix Dragonball Z/Kinniku-man with the Gundam universe. Series to watch from Gundam would have to be, IMO: 0083-Stardust memory, 08th MS Team, Gundam X, Zeta and ZZ, MSG and CCA. Gundam Wing is one to watch If your looking for a Gundam series with a softer tone...Although it had it's moments.

kinggalaxia
Thu, 06-23-2005, 12:53 PM
oh yeah, I forgot 8th MS Team.

one of the best UC ever!!! a look at the One Year War thru the soldiers themselves. and the romance between EF & Zeon people was magical & sweet.

DDBen
Thu, 06-23-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by: kinggalaxia
I didn't say it sucked...I like it, because I love Gundam and how its events affect its own people. It's just not as loved by some others as it is me.

and please, don't rag on me. I don't see other people verbally beating on others' opinions *sigh*

and no, GSD > Seed

This topic is obviously asking for nonseed related gundam series as such whatever your feelings about GSD and GS don't even belong here in the first place. If you want to discuss which is better make a topic or wait for the series to end to compare them as a whole.

kinggalaxia
Thu, 06-23-2005, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by: DDBen

Originally posted by: kinggalaxia

and no, GSD > Seed

This topic is obviously asking for nonseed related gundam series as such whatever your feelings about GSD and GS don't even belong here in the first place. If you want to discuss which is better make a topic or wait for the series to end to compare them as a whole.

whoops, my mistake....but I guess I'm damned if I-- y'know *hmmph*

solid01
Thu, 06-23-2005, 02:12 PM
if your looking for a good mobile suit series get full metal panic that series was wicked

heres a link to what the series is a bout http://www.full-metal-panic.co...gence/intelligence.php (http://www.full-metal-panic.com/intelligence/intelligence.php)

Dannynonsense
Thu, 06-23-2005, 02:35 PM
i thought the suits in full metal panic were called armor slaves

solid01
Thu, 06-23-2005, 02:47 PM
whatever they're both big robots

danholo
Thu, 06-23-2005, 03:05 PM
I'm new to Gundam myself and have only seen GS and GSD fully. However, I do recommend Turn A Gundam. Don't let the odd MS design scare you. It's a really good show and is being subbed by Hero Legends and they're up to episode 44. I've watched Gundam Wing until ep 7-8 or so and I'm not that impressed yet but I'll give it a shot.

NM
Thu, 06-23-2005, 03:53 PM
Gundam 0079 and 8th MS Team were my favorites. Does anyone know if there are subs around for 0079? I saw it at Boxtorrents but they were dubbed. I saw the dub on Cartoon Network a long time back but I would like to see the original version of it.

PSJ
Thu, 06-23-2005, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by: Deblas
Gundam Wing is not as good as Seed but, watch the movie Endless Waltz. That movie kicked ass.

No it didn't. That movie was that blonde fagboys crying all the time until the end when Wing Zero shot it's rifle which was to strong for the suit to handle. Add that 7 year old they were fighting who owned them like bitches and you got yourself the worst shit ever Plot-wise.

The Gundam design is cool tho.

Terracosmo
Thu, 06-23-2005, 05:53 PM
What kinggalaxia said. Every single fucking word of it. (though I haven't seen all the series that he has seen)

Except the Seed stuff. My love for Yzak has blinded me from eventual bad points that series had. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Psyke
Thu, 06-23-2005, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by: PSJ

No it didn't. That movie was that blonde fagboys crying all the time until the end when Wing Zero shot it's rifle which was to strong for the suit to handle. Add that 7 year old they were fighting who owned them like bitches and you got yourself the worst shit ever Plot-wise.

I agree. The only pilot I liked in the show was Zechs. All the others are either too whiny, or have serious psychological problems. The Gundam designs are the strongest points, and on a side note I'd love to see a MG Deathscythe Custom model being released like the Wing Zero Custom.

Mae
Thu, 06-23-2005, 09:18 PM
I've been meaning to watch some of the earlier Gundam series for a while. Does anyone else have any links where they can be downloaded? And subbed not dubbed, please.

Guardian_2000
Thu, 06-23-2005, 09:54 PM

I've come to expect more from you PSJ. You let me down with this one. I can't help but wonder what you were smoking when you wrote this.

Wing is alright in its own right while sucking horribly in others. EW improved on many of the flaws. But then agian the flaws it tried to improve on rarely existed in the first place. Just have to acknowledge that Wing is an AU and doesn't follow the same physics that UC does. Anyways. Why do you think the rifle was too strong for Zero. Because it broke apart after firing its weapon. Normally this might apply. But watch the scene. How many Serpents were firing onto the Zero. How much dmg did it sustain when it came crashing down through the atmosphere? The twin buster rifle wasn't too powerful in the anime and its the same damn thing in the OVA. If anything its actually weaker than its anime counterpart. Although they were reinforced blast doors.

The 7 yr old was just an icon of the duke's. She had no real power. And only finally did something in the end when she was shot. Who was the blonde fagboys crying? I'm almost thinking you watched some crappy bootleg where they put in there own scenes. But since you have no sense of plot atleast you get the mecha fan boy points for the series that most gundam fans say the gundams were way overpowered and too stuffed with weapons. These same people complain about a few SEED suits as well so we won't listen to them.

As I said Wing and EW both have their place as decent animes with a okay place in the gundam fandom. Sadly it also brought in a huge crowd of people who knew nothing of gundam and thought everything should be like Wing which they worshipped. And the war of the UCist and Wingers began.. Ahh the memories of playing referee..

Thats probably the one big thing I hate about Wing. Is what it did to the Gundam community when the majority of America learned of gundam.

ArcZero
Fri, 06-24-2005, 12:05 AM
my favorite gundam series/ova would have to be Z Gundam and Char's Counterattack. the Z gundam and Nu gundam just kick ass

Curium
Fri, 06-24-2005, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by: Mae
I've been meaning to watch some of the earlier Gundam series for a while. Does anyone else have any links where they can be downloaded? And subbed not dubbed, please.

Personally I go with AniDB. You can use their ED2K links (scary slow) or they link you directly to the groups that have fansubbed/DVD Ripped the eps. There you can either find Bittorrent for it or you can get it from their IRC channel most of the time. I haven't really looked too hard for any of them yet, but I know you can get most of Zeta (they are still working on it) in channel #White_Base on Rizon, and as someone said Hero Legends is working on Turn A.

DeluxSkillz
Fri, 06-24-2005, 03:18 AM
wow thanx for all the replies guys i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif , but can someone explain to me what this UC is people are talking about?

kinggalaxia
Fri, 06-24-2005, 03:50 AM
thank you so much, Terra ^___^

Universal Century, including this Gundam series, in chronological order
Note: the UC calendar starts around 2070somethin AD

Mobile Suit Gundam - UC 0079 (One Year War - Earth vs. Zeon)
8th MS Team - UC 0079 (side story of One Year War)
War in the Pocket - UC 0080 (epilogue of One Year War)
Stardust Memories - UC 0083 (Earth vs. what's left of Zeon - creation of Titans)
Zeta Gundam - UC 0087 (Gryps Conflict - Titans [tyrannical Earth] vs. AEUG [Earth/Zeon who hate Titans] vs. Axis [Zeon returned from exile]
Note: AEUG = Anti-Earth Union Group - formed after Titans were like Nazis in how they handled enemies of Earth
Gundam Double Zeta - UC 0088 (AEUG vs. Neo Zeon v.1 [under rule of Haman Kahn])
Char's Counterattack - UC 0090 (Earth/AEUG vs. Neo Zeon v.2 [under rule of Char Aznable] - end of Zeon altogether)
Gundam F91 - UC 0123 (Crossbone Vanguard vs. Earth)
Victory Gundam - UC 0153 (Zanscare Empire vs. Earth)
G-Savior - UC 0223 (I-don't-care vs. go-to-hell) this was Bandai's SAD attempt at a live-action Gundam. I don't consider it full UC but that's the year it's given, apparently

After Victory, they started making AU (alternate universes), starting with G-Gundam. Each universe had its calendar.

G-Gundam - FC 60 (Future Century)
Gundam Wing - AC 195-196 (After Colony)
Gundam X - AW 15 (After War)
Turn A Gundam - CC 2345 (Correct Century)
Gundam Seed - CE 70-71 (Cosmic Era)

PSJ
Fri, 06-24-2005, 07:38 AM
Oh god Guardian, sorry to dissappoint you. First of all i was not really serious with that post and on the other hand i watched it for over 2 years ago, my memory isn't all that good....

As for the blonde "fagboy" that's Quattre or whatever the hell his name was. The violin playing pussy that had an army at his disposal. He did play the violin right?

Oh well no point in sticking to this discussion as i honestly don't care.

Terracosmo
Fri, 06-24-2005, 10:48 AM
Guardian must be let down easily if he gets disappointed at people everytime they don't agree with him about how good/bad a show is i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

masamuneehs
Fri, 06-24-2005, 11:33 AM

I agree The only pilot I liked in the show was Zechs. All the others are either too whiny, or have serious psychological problems. The Gundam designs are the strongest points, and on a side note I'd love to see a MG Deathscythe Custom model being released like the Wing Zero Custom.

While Wing was also my first Gundam series as well, I don't know if I would recommend it to any seasoned anime watcher. For someone inexpirienced or who loves bishounen, dive right in. The show had some interesting characters and explored some themes that most Gundam series don't touch on. But the action could get weak (eery battle is so frigging lopsided except for the duels), the pilots too serious (except for Duo) and so many inconsistencies in MS capabilities. Treize & Zechs & sometimes Duo were the best parts of that show.

I find that Kira from GS and Quatre from Wing have tons of similarities despite their differign sexual orientation. Their whole nice-guy to the point of beign sickening. How they try to persuade others not to kill. Their crying. Their going berserk at some point. And despite all of that, still being natural leaders that people listen to for some reason or another.

I would definetley recommend 8th MS Team to anyone. That show rocks, good animation, damn good cast.

I would obviously recommend the original Mobile Suit Gundam, as well as Zeta to anyone who hasn't seen them.

G Gundam sucks. Much of what I've seen of Turn A Gundam really really sucks. Chars Counter is pretty good. 0080 is pretty hot.

And to go off topic, if you enjoy the military strategy and political intrigue aspect of Gundam, I have to recommend Legends of the Galactic Heroes. Space opera at its best. Starts slow but the characters are fantastic and the writing is from a day when the creators didn't just rely on fan service and intense action to carry you through an episode.

That being said, another good all around show that has lots of piloting aspects and ship-vs-ship combat is Last Exile. That show was sweet.

masamuneehs
Fri, 06-24-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by: DeluxSkillz
wow thanx for all the replies guys , but can someone explain to me what this UC is people are talking about?

And to answer your question WITHOUT a timeline filled with spoilers Galaxia-you-asshole. UC is the Universal century, the timeline that the original MS Gundam was set in and where numerous side-stories and continuations took place. This is considered the original setting for Gundam and where all spinoffs have taken at least a couple aspects. The numerous shows based in the UC time period make up the core of the Gundam franchise, although recent attempts to further the plot of that timeline have been vastly considered huge failures.

All other Gundam shows are considered to be in an Alternate Universe (AU) from the UC timeline and have variations off the technology and storyline, though they often share at least one thing in common. Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny are not related to any other show but each other -taking place on the Cosmic Era timeline- (though many MS designs are taken from the UC & other timelines) and Destiny is the first actual TV show sequel to an AU Gundam, as far as I know.

Guardian_2000
Fri, 06-24-2005, 01:46 PM
lol I wouldn't call what Galaxia wrote spoilers. Thats alil over the top. You get more info about the movies/shows from looking at the back of the box.. And yea Destiny is the first tv show sequel with EW being sorta a mini sequel to Wing.

fox_t
Fri, 06-24-2005, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by: DeluxSkillz
so what other gundam series/ova/movies do you like besides Gundam Seed/Destiny/Wing
i just finished Seed and Destiny up to 35 and I'm already downloading Wing so i'm interested in any other good gundam anime you guys might like so i can give them a try

i`ll save you the trouble of watching Gundam Wing...

Heero: Relena

Relena: Heeeeeeeeerrrrrrooooooooo!!!

Relena: Heero

Relena: oh Hero.

...there now u`ve watched about 40 of the 50 episodes...this is easily the worst Gundam series...i enjoyed watching F91(unsubbed) more than watching Wing...i don`t even speak Japanese...do u know how hard it is to sit through F91 unsubbed...don`t waste your bandwidth on Wing...especially since u`ve already watched Seed...it`s a step backwards...

It`s like watching the old batman with adam west after watching Batman Begins (excellent movie).

Guardian_2000
Fri, 06-24-2005, 02:14 PM
SPOILERS but really detailed info on the entire Gundam Universe courtesy of MAHQ. Consider this the dummies guide to Gundam
I repeat this is full of spoilers but is a pretty good generic summary of things that happen. Skip this if you don't want to know more about Gundam as a whole. And again this is full of spoilers
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS Do not continue unless you really want to.

The Universal Century & The One Year War

The majority of the series in the Gundam saga are set in the Universal Century (UC) timeline. With more 'UC shows' arriving in the U.S. now, it is helpful to know what the background for this extensively developed universe is. In the new Universal Century calendar, humanity began a space colonization program to ease overcrowding on Earth. After living in space for decades, 'Spacenoids' began to thirst for independence from 'Earthnoids'. In the year UC 0079, after years of tension, the Earth Federation and the Principality of Zeon at the Side 3 colonies went to war. Hoping to end the war in one attack with Operation British, the Zeon attempted to drop a colony on the Federal Forces headquarters in Jaburo, South America. The colony was knocked off course and instead impacted on Australia and destroyed most of the country. The use of nuclear weapons combined with the colony drop seriously altered the environment. In the first week of the war, over four billion people were killed.

The Federation and Zeon quickly sign the Antarctic Treaty, which outlaws the use of mass destruction weapons. Following this, the war enters months of stalemate. It is during this stalemate that the Federation began Project V to develop mobile suits to combat the powerful Zeon Zaku II. This period of the war is the setting for the original 1979 Gundam series as well as 1996's The 08th M.S. Team and 1989's Gundam 0080. The 08th M.S Team examines the One Year War from the perspective of a Federation mobile suit team fighting the Zeon in a vicious ground war in Southeast Asia. Gundam 0080 focuses on the neutral colony of Libot and a young boy's chance encounter with Zeon soldiers that changes his life forever. Towards the end of UC 0079, the Federation uses combat data from Amuro Ray's Gundam and creates the GM, their first mass produced mobile suit. With the GM they are able to turn the tables on the Zeon. They eventually push the Zeon off of Earth and take the battle to space, emerging victorious on January 1, 0080 at the Battle of A Baoa Qu.

Post One Year War & The Gryps War

Following the war, the Principality of Zeon was disbanded and became the Republic of Zeon once again. In UC 0083, Zeon rebels led by Aiguille Delaz and Anavel Gato attempted to revive Zeon by starting their own rebellion. This story is explored in the 1991 OAV series Gundam 0083. After stealing a nuclear-equipped Gundam, they expose the hypocrisy of the Federation. As a show of force, they drop a colony on North America and make most of it uninhabitable. Their terrorist actions cause the Federation to create the Titans task force to seek out all Zeon rebels. Unfortunately, the Titans are commanded by the devious Jamitov Hymem and his lackey Bask Om. The Titans quickly evolve into a fascist organization that slowly takes control of the Federal Forces. By UC 0085, the Titans are committing atrocities such as gassing millions of colony citizens at Side 1's 30 Bunch Colony who opposed them. It was because of these atrocities that Federation officers and others formed the Anti Earth Union Group (AEUG) to fight them. The story of the Titans and AEUG is chronicled in the series Z Gundam, which aired from 1985-1986. As the Gryps War begins in UC 0087, civilian Kamille Bidan has a hatred for the Titans and joins the AEUG. He uses his emerging Newtype powers and the Zeta Gundam to fight the Titans. During the latter half of the series, the Axis Zeon led by Haman Karn enter the war to carve out their own kingdom and resurrect the Zabi dynasty. In early UC 0088 the Titans are wiped out, but the AEUG loses most of its pilots, including Char Aznable, who vanishes in the last battle. Another casualty is Zeta Gundam's pilot Kamille Bidan, who is mentally crippled by Titans leader Paptimus Scirocco's Newtype powers.

The Neo Zeon Wars

Though the Titans are gone, the Axis Zeon remain. Renamed Neo Zeon, they begin to appease citizens of the colonies to join their effort in Gundam ZZ, which aired from 1986-1987. The AEUG again recruits citizens to fight for their cause, this time Judau Ashta and several of his loser friends. Like Kamille Bidan before him, Judau develops his Newtype powers and uses the and the powerful Double Zeta Gundam to fight the Neo Zeon. The Neo Zeon begin their campaign of conquest by invading Earth and occupying the Federation capital in Dakar, Africa. The AEUG is involved in a running fight from Dakar to Dublin, where the Federation brass hands over Side 3 to Haman. To speed up negotiations, she steals a colony from Side 4 and drops it on Dublin, which annihilates the city. After returning to space, Haman is pursued by Judau and his friends. As the war nears its end, Glemy Toto begins a rebellion against Haman, with the AEUG caught in the middle. The first Neo Zeon War ends in UC 0089 with the deaths of Haman and Glemy. Afterwards, the AEUG soldiers are reincorporated into the Federal Forces and become part of Londo Bell. Londo Bell's mission is the same as the Titans, but they do not use the same cruel methods. After years of peace, the threat of war returns in UC 0093 from Char Aznable, who has formed his own Neo Zeon group. He plans to bring humanity to its next evolutionary level and make everyone a Newtype. His plan for doing this involved dropping asteroids on Earth to force Earthnoids to migrate to space. The final part of his plan is to drop Axis on Earth, which will make the planet uninhabitable. He is stopped by his rival Amuro Ray, as seen in the 1988 film Char's Counterattack. The conflict between the Zeon and the Federation is at last over.

Late Universal Century

The last parts of the UC saga take the story far to the future. After 30 years of peace, Earth is threatened again in UC 0123. The 1991 film Gundam F91 is the story of the Crossbone Vanguard, the private army of the wealthy Spacenoid Ronah family. Much like the Zeon, they believe that Spacenoids are superior to Earthnoids, and they plan to create a utopia named Cosmo Babylonia. Opposing them is Newtype Seabook Arno with his Gundam F91. Unfortunately, the movie is a retooled version of a never filmed TV series that does not complete this storyline. A continuation can be read in the manga series Crossbone Gundam. Jumping ahead to UC 0153 provides the setting for the last animated UC series, V Gundam. In this series, which aired from 1993-1994, Earth has been left almost uninhabited to allow it to heal from humanity's abuse of it. Now that it has healed, the religiously fanatic Zanscare Empire plans to make it their sanctuary. With the Federation divided and incompetent, only the civilian rebel group League Militaire stands in the way of the Zanscare Empire. Young Newtype Uso Evin joins the League and pilots the Victory Gundam and V2 Gundam in his fight against the Zanscare. Ultimately, the Zanscare Empire attempts to use a psychic battle fortress named Angel Halo to mentally slaughter the citizens of Earth. Fortunately, Uso and the League foil their plans and end the war. Seventy years later in UC 0223, the Federation has collapsed and is replaced by the Congress of Settlement Nations (CONSENT). However, CONSENT is just as bad as the Federation and attempts to control the colonies. In the live action movie G-Saviour, Gundam pilot Mark Curran uses the title mobile suit to fight them and save an invention that could feed the starving masses under the oppression of CONSENT.

The Future Century timeline

Aside from the UC saga, there are many Gundam series that are set in alternate universes, each with their own calendar and history. These series were created by Bandai to draw in more fans and sell new merchandise. Following after V Gundam, the first alternate universe series is G Gundam which aired from 1994-1995. This universe uses the Future Century (FC) calendar, where elitist colony citizens use ravaged Earth as a battleground in the Gundam Fight to decide who the new leader of the colonies will be. In FC 60, the 13th Gundam Fight begins when Neo Japan pilot Domon Kasshu wins a battle. Throughout the year, Domon searches for his lost brother, who was experimenting with nanotechnology to restore Earth. After a terrible accident, the nanotech transformed the Ultimate Gundam into the gigantic and evil Devil Gundam. With his mother dead and his father in cryogenic freeze, Domon wants to find his brother, for revenge. As the Gundam Fight continues, Domon meets four Gundam Fighters who are fated to join his quest. He also encounters his mentor Master Asia, who has become a servant of the Devil Gundam. After the Gundam Fight ends, the final battle begins in space. With the help of his God Gundam and his friends from the Shuffle Alliance, Domon destroys the Devil Gundam and is reunited with his love Rain Mikamura. This series is set to air in the U.S. beginning in late summer 2002.

The After Colony timeline

Everyone is familiar with Gundam W, which aired in the U.S. in 2000 and originally aired in Japan from 1995-1996. This second series uses the After Colony (AC) calendar. In AC 175, a colonial independence leader named Heero Yuy was assassinated by the mysterious OZ organization. For the next two decades, the colonies begin to resent the control of the oppressive United Earth Sphere Alliance. This resentment leads to the creation of Operation Meteor in AC 195. Five young Gundam pilots are sent to Earth to fight a guerilla war against the United Earth Sphere Alliance. Over the course of the conflict, the UESA is destroyed from within by OZ, which is backed by the aristocratic Romefeller Foundation. As OZ makes overtures to the space colonies, Gundam pilots Heero, Duo, Trowa, Wufei and Quatre find that their homelands have rejected them. Still, the Gundam pilots continue to fight off OZ and the Romefeller foundation. As an internal conflict splits OZ, the space colonists decide to fight back and create a rebel army named White Fang. Judging White Fang to be too dangerous, the Gundam pilots fight them off during what becomes known as the Eve Wars. Following the Eve Wars, the Earth Sphere United Nation is created, and nearly all mobile suits are destroyed. However, just one year later war begins again with the attack of the Mariemaia Army in the 1997 OAV series Endless Waltz. The Gundam pilots return one last time to wipe out the enemy and bring a lasting peace to Earth.

The After War timeline

The next alternate universe series is 1996's Gundam X, which uses the After War (AW) calendar. This series poses a 'what if' on the end of the Universal Century's One Year War and uses it as a springing board for a new story. After a terrible war between the Earth Federation and the Space Revolutionary Army, the SRA drops dozens of colonies on Earth and kills nearly all Earth's inhabitants. In the post-apocalyptic wasteland, there is only chaos. Renegade mobile suit pilots terrorize civilians, and scavenger groups known as Vulture look for old weapons for their survival and profit. In this chaotic world, the New Earth Federation and the SRA are secretly rebuilding their power for an eventual confrontation. In AW 0015, a young boy named Garrod Ran is drawn into this conflict when he rescues a young Newtype girl named Tiffa Adill, finds a Gundam X and joins Vulture. Constantly harassed by the villainous Frost brothers, the Vulture ship Freeden journeys around the world in search of Newtypes. As the New Federation begins to re-conquer Earth to reunite it, Garrod steals the powerful new Gundam Double X. The New Federation moves the conflict into space and picks up the war where it left off. After discovering the true secret of Newtypes, Garrod uses his Double X to defeat the Frost brothers and end the war. Peace is finally restored between both sides, and Garrod lives happily ever after with Tiffa. Unfortunately, this series was moved into a bad timeslot and canceled 10 episodes short of its intended 49 episode run.

The Correct Century timeline

As part of the Gundam Big Bang 20th Anniversary celebration, creator Yoshiyuki Tomino returned after six years to create the series

Deblas
Sun, 06-26-2005, 11:09 AM

You got me all wrong there PSJ. Hate the characters in Wing. Hate the characters in Endless Waltz. But I just love the Gundam designs in that movie. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Originally posted by: fox_t
i`ll save you the trouble of watching Gundam Wing...

Relena: oh Hero.

It was lower than that. Like this.

Heero: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/Deblas/r1.jpg

Heero: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/Deblas/heero.jpg

Heero: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/Deblas/hero.jpg

Relena: Heero?

Heero:.........................I'm going to kill you...............................

darkshadow
Sun, 06-26-2005, 11:42 AM
haha lol deblas thats sooo true, he really has 1 emotion

Terracosmo
Sun, 06-26-2005, 11:54 AM
Heero has mastered the ancient arts of instant clothes changing while looking exactly the same simultaneously, it seems i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Deblas
Sun, 06-26-2005, 12:34 PM
Of course. Its a necessary trait for all Gundam pilots!!. Don't you know anything Terra?

PSJ
Sun, 06-26-2005, 12:45 PM
He can also take a brick to his balls and still hold that face, which is quite na achievement in my opinion.

Terracosmo
Sun, 06-26-2005, 12:50 PM
and never once is his haircut changed even though he gets blown up in every episode!

LokeXero
Mon, 06-27-2005, 01:27 AM
True

Heero made Wing Interesting for me anyway, each up i wondered what crazy thing he'll do next...

All Gundam Pilots in any series Hair never grows and never gets cut...

darkshadow
Mon, 06-27-2005, 07:20 AM
well at least it does CHANGE sometimes in gsd, like talia, meyrin luna and cagalli

LokeXero
Mon, 06-27-2005, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by: darkshadow
well at least it does CHANGE sometimes in gsd, like talia, meyrin luna and cagalli

Okay i concede on Cagalli

darkshadow
Mon, 06-27-2005, 10:07 AM
concede? i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

LokeXero
Mon, 06-27-2005, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by: LokeXero

All Gundam Pilots in any series Hair never grows and never gets cut...

Cagalli is the only pilot ive seen whose changed her hair...thats what i was conceding on mind u it hasnt changed when shes been piloting SR...

darkshadow
Mon, 06-27-2005, 09:43 PM
talia in shower, , luna injured, meyrin hair down, and cagalli wedding

LokeXero
Mon, 06-27-2005, 09:53 PM
yer but all your examples (Cept the cagalli wedding) are people who arnt piloting or in an ms...

darkshadow
Tue, 06-28-2005, 09:16 AM
luna i/expressions/rolleye.gif

LokeXero
Tue, 06-28-2005, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by: darkshadow
luna

But shes not piloting an MS at the time cant you understand And anyway i said Pilots in any series Hair never grows and never gets cut. Hair style may change but name 1 person whose hair has grown or been cut...

PSJ
Tue, 06-28-2005, 10:03 AM
Kira's and Asuran's hair has grown from SEED to GSD. Both have changed quite a bit.

Wi|DdR!v3
Sat, 07-02-2005, 09:56 AM
kira's hair got a whole lot more bushier and neo(mwu) his hair's grown A WHOLE LOT from short 2 very long

Astronopolis
Sat, 07-02-2005, 07:41 PM
MSG: totally awesome. im not being an elitist when i say that despite the poor animation quality, theres a whole lotta good shit up in here, plus the dub in my opinion is actually below par for course, so pickles to that

MSZG: totally awesome. this doesnt need much explanation, just watch it and enjoy

Turn-A: TOTALLY FUCKING GREAT! watch this if you like a great story (tomino was heavily involved) and an interesting tie together for all gundam series. toted as the end-all be-all of gundam, required viewing for gundamophiles

0080: once upon a time, gundam didnt need wings on everything and mobile suit battles every 2 minutes. this series kind of brings the gundam thing into perspective and focuses more on the result of the advent of mobile suit combat and how it affects the relationships between normal people. kind of heartwarming with a tearjerk ending

0083:an ok ova, it tries to be alot, but falls short in alot of areas, you dont really get to experience the tension between the protagonist and his rival, its more flash than substance basically. although i must say it has really awesome 80s style animation, really top notch stuff here, id say you younger gen would enjoy this series alot

Gundam X:an ok alternate universe story, ALOT better than wing in my opinion, plus theres a bunch of U.C. references and things big U.C. fans will find "cute", like for example, the inclusion of newtype dolphins lol

Chars Counterattack: this id only reccomend if youre heavy into U.C. and have seen MSG and MSZG, theres alot of references to and characters from those two series, and any casual viewer would be totally lost and uninterested/frustrated with this movie. otherwise, its the ultimate conclusion to the char/amuro rivalry thats been going on between them for 15 years or so

Gundam F91: i dont know about anybody else, but i really enjoyed it. sure it flopped, but i really really like the F-91. at first it was the ugliest design ive ever seen, but it grew on me, and seeing it in action really convinced me that it was the most ultimate gundam ever, thats right wing fans, even more badass than wing zero! and no i will not retract that statement. oh yeah, the other more important reason i liked it, was it was self contained, and short but sweet, and i recommend it highly if youre into things that dont drag on for 50+ episodes

so thats my reccomendation list for gundam series, also as an aside to general mecha fans, id heavily suggest watching Gunbuster, its only 6 eps, but you just get sucked in, you laugh, you cry, you cry again, then you smile. plus hey theres great giant robot on bug action, scantily clad pilot girls, and as an added bonus you can watch this with your girlfriend without her getting too bored (lol like forumers have girlfriends i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif ).

Sivitri
Sun, 07-03-2005, 12:37 AM
V Gundam a.k.a Victory gundam is one of my most favourite gundams around........ victory could surpass even destiny if your saying about coolest gundam..... thats what i think .

Kirakun
Sun, 07-03-2005, 04:45 AM
My picks (not in any order of preferance):

GS
GSD
08th MS
X
Z
ZZ (I can't find any torrents on this one but the few I've seen are good)

Whatever you do, DO NOT WATCH GUNDAM F-91