PDA

View Full Version : Does size matter?

Hyuuga_Destiny
Sun, 06-19-2005, 03:36 PM
Well just wondering why the Aone Naruto files are around 170 Mb a piece whilst DB's are around 140 Mb?
And the earlier naruto's (dont know what subs) were around 200 MB

It has to do with the subbing I guess, and the compressing of the file?
Ach well, I'll hear about it here maybe.

Just interested

Assassin
Sun, 06-19-2005, 04:25 PM
well since every 13 yr old noob out there is going on about how aone's subs are better then db, i'd assume it has somethign to do with image/sound quality and other shit like that.

this really belongs in the Fansubbing section...the ppl there could answer ur question better as they would actually know whats what.

complich8
Sun, 06-19-2005, 10:49 PM
early naruto, aone, was always targetted at 172 or 175 megs. 172 megs is perfect to fit like 26 on a dvd, 175 is perfect for 4/cd but overflows the 26/dvd target by a couple megs. Many encoders these days aim for 170, to give more wiggle-room later in the series for particularly action-intensive episodes.

Some episodes get encoded at higher bitrates because they're more action-packed and faster motion.

Generally at sizes as small as 140 megs with as much action and as bright colors as Naruto has, you'll have visible video quality degradation, in the forms of blocking and artifacting in general. But then, 140 megs a year ago meant quite a bit more of a compromise in quality than 140 megs now means, because the codecs have matured more.

Every group has its own standards to follow. Some prefer smaller sizes over better video quality, and that's a tradeoff the encoder can make pretty easily. It has almost nothing to do with the subtitles themselves though.