PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take to fansub something?

Kopiok
Sat, 06-18-2005, 09:28 AM
About how long on average does it take to fansub a raw episode? Just wondering for future reference.

complich8
Sat, 06-18-2005, 04:17 PM
depends on the team.

It usually takes between 8 and 20 hours of actual work, depending on the series, the skill of the people working on it, the desired quality, and the complexity and volume of dialogue.

But that's 8 to 20 hours of work spread across between 4 and 10 people (usually 6-7 people is about average for most teams). Meaning if schedules don't line up, or if someone's got other things to do (like live their lives), that 8 to 20 hours can be spread over more than a week pretty easily.

I've been sitting on a half-done edit of the one show I'm working on for like 4 days, while just sort of mulling over what the series means (it's sort of hard to interpret correctly), and while maintaining my job and a reasonable degree of sanity. It's really easy for a single episode to overflow a week of work, and the next episode to air before you're done working on the current one.

I'd say the median case for a normal fansub is probably in the neighborhood of 5 days from air to release.

Kopiok
Sat, 06-18-2005, 07:50 PM
Ok, thanks. Now I know abotu how much time I'd have to wait for new episodes of a series. Again, thanks. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

complich8
Sun, 06-19-2005, 10:51 PM
remember ... that's a median case. There's a LOT of variation across teams. Some do it in a day or two, some do it in 2 or 3 weeks. Don't expect a weekly release schedule from most groups.

evldereckx
Thu, 07-21-2005, 02:45 PM
all people who sub are awsome.!