PDA

View Full Version : LANGUAGES

BenJiMan
Wed, 06-01-2005, 02:48 PM
I want to learn Japanese

IS IT HARD TO LEARN???

Honoko
Wed, 06-01-2005, 02:59 PM
how about you goto one of those "learn japanese" sites u can find thru google and try it out yourself? some ppl grasp languages better than others so asking everyone if it's hard or not isn't really the best way to start =P

Mut
Wed, 06-01-2005, 03:25 PM
BeJiMan is the worst fucking poster that joined on May 2005.

joker-kun
Wed, 06-01-2005, 03:28 PM
He could possibly be the worse poster in all of 2005 or throughout gotwoot history.

Excluding Itachi_ and Deblas of course.

PS: I am sexy.

Terracosmo
Wed, 06-01-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by: joker-kun
Excluding Itachi_

"Foolish moderators, to be a worse poster than me... you must spam, go off-topic, flame and cosplay as Itachi using a photoshopped winter coat in an unsightly way..."

SK
Wed, 06-01-2005, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by: BenJiMan
I want to learn Japanese

IS IT HARD TO LEARN???

ever heard of a nifty little site called google.com?

Lefty
Wed, 06-01-2005, 07:54 PM
Wow, this has to be an automatic win for Gotwoot survivor.

ChaosK
Wed, 06-01-2005, 08:17 PM
he'll be too busy learning how to use a search engine.

-GunSlinger-
Thu, 06-02-2005, 12:27 AM
lol i learned alot from watching anime and matching the words i can understand halfway through a raw epsiode now =)

Honoko
Thu, 06-02-2005, 12:32 AM
haha, well, a lot of anime dialogue is the same so after hearing it over and over again u're bound to pick up something. stuff like, "i want to get stronger!" or "i won't run away!" are littered all over the place i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Lefty
Thu, 06-02-2005, 02:15 AM
Yeah I know under stand about fifth of what my freinds at kendo say. Watching anime can help but it's not a good source for learning everything from.

Uchiha Barles
Thu, 06-02-2005, 03:32 AM
Wow, they ripped you apart. I'll just go ahead and answer your question to the best of my ability. I have several japanese speaking friends and all of them concur that learning to speak japanese is pretty easy. Learning to read and write it is a little different though. Apparently hiragana and katakana (symbols representing syllables in the japanese language) are fairly easy to learn, compared to the kanji (more complicated symbols originating from china). The reason for this is that the kana (hiragana and katakana together) represent syllables, while kanji characters each have their own meaning. In otherwords, if you want to write something in kana, you need only to know the symbols that represent the syllables of that word. Its kind of analagous phonetics in english. In order to write something in kanji, you need to to know the symbol that represents the word. period. There are thousands of kanji characters, and you need to need to know a good deal of them, I think.

So basically, learning to speak it should be easy, and learning to read write it should be hard on account of kanji.

Xollence
Thu, 06-02-2005, 08:47 AM
Are you trying to take a class on it or are you trying to learn it on your own?

darkshadow
Thu, 06-02-2005, 09:01 AM
im learning it via rosetta stone learning japanese, it works great

SK
Thu, 06-02-2005, 10:04 AM
actually japanese is considered one of the hardest languages to learn along with hungarian and finnish. oh and i highly doubt you have picked up enough japanese from watching anime to understand half of a raw episode.

Death BOO Z
Thu, 06-02-2005, 02:16 PM
I think he's confusing 'understanding' with 'recognizng'.... he knows the meannings of some of the words, but he remembers hearing the others.
learning to write japanese kana should be quite easy, since the letters are 'stand alone' (there is no combination of letters that produces a diffrent sound, like 'CH, SH, TH, OUGH'), so once you memorize everything, it's just to break the word to sylballs and your done.

of course, Kanji charecters are a bitch.

BenJiMan
Thu, 06-02-2005, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by: Xollence
Are you trying to take a class on it or are you trying to learn it on your own?

i was going to try it on my own first

Deblas
Fri, 06-03-2005, 07:34 AM
Find out on your own. Just buy a book that teaches you jap. There's is really no real reason to ask us. If its too hard for you then take some classes.