PDA

View Full Version : American Naruto, preview was just shown

Z3TA
Mon, 05-30-2005, 08:37 PM
Just saw the preview for Naruto on Toonami

Any of you guys see it?

It was just a bunch of clips of random episodes, like Sasuke vs Rock Lee, the first and second intros of Naruto, and Naruto vs Haku

I heard Naruto scream, maybe it wasnt a dubbed scream because it sounded exactly like the Japanese voice. The music didnt sound that bad, it wasnt rap at least. To me it seemed like a mix of rock and the current japanese music.

Roko
Mon, 05-30-2005, 08:43 PM
it's available for download at narutofan.

Neko Haruko
Mon, 05-30-2005, 08:54 PM
They pronounced Naruto wrong. It's not Nah root o x.x

The Heretic Azazel
Mon, 05-30-2005, 10:32 PM
Why is it a big deal how his damn name is pronounced? I could pronounce it like the Japs but I don't, because I'm American, I stress the U.. cause that's just how it goes with English.

Shin_Naruto
Mon, 05-30-2005, 10:54 PM
You can say it however you want... it doesnt make it right.

Assertn
Mon, 05-30-2005, 11:51 PM
who cares? if the way "naruto" is pronounced is the biggest issue with the dubs, then i'd be a happy man

The Heretic Azazel
Tue, 05-31-2005, 12:18 AM
No shit.. there will probably be more important changes for you guys to cry over.

galarnon
Tue, 05-31-2005, 03:00 AM
guys need help

I have a channel called Cartoon Network...

is this Toonami? or Tonaami is a different channel?

lol I just watched the preview, I have some other channel because the logo on the preview isn't the same as my channel. my Catoon Network shows only little kids shows like Lonny toons, Tom & Jerry,Power Rangers
(not animes....)

DarthEnderX
Tue, 05-31-2005, 03:08 AM
Unless it changed, and it very well could have, Toonami is a "block" of programming on Cartoon Network. Its like how Adult Swim is on Cartoon Network, and its made up of alot of shows. Toonami is the same way. I think Toonami is all anime. Or all anime and then Teen Titans. I don't know the fucking rules for it.

Masamune
Tue, 05-31-2005, 06:08 AM
so did they just change hokage to head-ninja?

Z3TA
Tue, 05-31-2005, 07:17 AM
I heard that there keeping the sexy-no-jutsu.... just wondering how there gonna keep that....

Masamune
Tue, 05-31-2005, 08:08 AM
its not like it reveals anything anyway

darkshadow
Tue, 05-31-2005, 08:58 AM
yeah but, naruto is a 12 your old kid right?, so that would make him a 12 year old nude girl, seducing older men i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Assassin
Tue, 05-31-2005, 02:46 PM
is the promo available anywhere else beside narutofan? i hate having to sign up just for that

mage
Tue, 05-31-2005, 03:27 PM
"a boy whose dream is to become head-ninja!"

ChaosK
Tue, 05-31-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by: Assassin
is the promo available anywhere else beside narutofan? i hate having to sign up just for that

gimmie your AIM sn and i could file trasfer it too you, PM to me.

if you dont wanna, you dont have to, its your choice.

mage
Tue, 05-31-2005, 03:56 PM
just sign up on narutofan, rofl...

ChaosK
Tue, 05-31-2005, 04:53 PM
hey its his choice, anyway i feel this is the bad beginning to a bunch of little kids screaming "HEY NO FAIR I ALREADY KILLED U WITH MY KNIFE!" (they're not saying kunai or shuriken)

stos289
Tue, 05-31-2005, 05:36 PM
All I have to say is: this (http://forums.gotwoot.net/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=13923&STARTPAGE=1 0&enterthread=y) (hint: look at my first post towards the bottom). This is what happens when I try to conserve space I guess.

Rhanfahl
Tue, 05-31-2005, 06:39 PM
Well, you people are treating the name issue rather indifferently...well look at it this way. Let's your name is hard to pronounce, as my actual last name....which really isn't people fuck up saying all the time. No, when you are graduating from College with honors or something, and your entire family is there, cheering you on, and the Dean is shouting off all the name correctly and when he gets to yours, totally fucks it up, and stumbles over trying to say it 3 or 4 different ways....naturally you're going to be a little...well....FUCKING PISSED OFF!!! as is your family! Its really not hard for the sake common courtesy to try and learn the person's name before you have the ceremony right? So, if you are a professional narriator for a network, and you can't even say people's fucking names right, you shouldn't be working there, making more in a month, than most of us would in a year!

I seem to feel that most American's mispronounce foreign words on purpose after awhile as a sort of underlaying mockery, or indifference to a person or their culture....why? "Cause we're fucking Americans!!! We're the best!!! Fuck all you other countries!!!" Now, I'm not saying everyone is that way, but we (Americans) get so hung up over this for some reason. But I could just be upset and totally overreacting. I mean I'm a person who thinks nearly every Translation of anime from Japanese to English is over acted, almost in a mocking way...not all anime, its getting better in recent years. But I can't think of a Miyazaki Hayao movie that doesn't make me want to vomit in English...

Toonami wa kieuseru!!!!

The Heretic Azazel
Tue, 05-31-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by: Rhanfahl
blah blah blah..

Stereotypical and melodramatic much?

Americans would sound stupid trying to say Japanese words with stressed pronunciation. Americans just shouldn't use a rolling 'r' sound.

Honoko
Tue, 05-31-2005, 08:12 PM
yeah, seriously, americans mispronouncing foreign names isn't such a big deal considering how badly the japanese mutilate the english language (i personally find it humorous). go watch prince of tennis when they're playing that tournament against the americans. i guess if mr. baker was rhanfahl, he'd be mad pissed at how they keep pronouncing that "mee-stah baay-kah".

(as for hayao movies, i didn't think the Spirited Away dub was terrible. Lasseter did a pretty good job-- but this is for another thread in another forum =P)

TwisT
Tue, 05-31-2005, 08:43 PM
To everyone that dont want to register at NarutoFan!!

Happy New Year (http://hem.bredband.net/jimmy_twist/Storage/cn_preview.zip)

ChaosK
Tue, 05-31-2005, 09:07 PM
not really a gift because its painful to watch.

Y
Wed, 06-01-2005, 02:11 AM
How is it painful? There's no new dialogue in there and the crying about the emphasis on the wrong syllable in Naruto's name by someone not even doing voicework in the series is a bit grating.

Assertn
Wed, 06-01-2005, 02:46 AM
Well, you people are treating the name issue rather indifferently...well look at it this way. Let's your name is hard to pronounce, as my actual last name....which really isn't people fuck up saying all the time. No, when you are graduating from College with honors or something, and your entire family is there, cheering you on, and the Dean is shouting off all the name correctly and when he gets to yours, totally fucks it up, and stumbles over trying to say it 3 or 4 different ways....naturally you're going to be a little...well....FUCKING PISSED OFF!!! as is your family! Its really not hard for the sake common courtesy to try and learn the person's name before you have the ceremony right? So, if you are a professional narriator for a network, and you can't even say people's fucking names right, you shouldn't be working there, making more in a month, than most of us would in a year!

The guy sitting next to my college graduation's last name was Paxson, and it was mispronounced "Parson"
It happens regardless of how hard it is to pronounce. Do you honestly think the people reading the names off stay up late the night before the ceremony and memorize ALL the names for the graduation? I dont know how many people were at yours, but we had about 1000 or so graduates at mine, and mine is a private college. No, what they did for mine was just read what was on the cards given to them. Why dont you imagine having to stand somewhere and publicly read off a couple hundred names in successions of seconds? The whole thing is just an assembly line anyway. If you blame the Dean for not being able to read your 5-syllable name, then you're an idiot.

I seem to feel that most American's mispronounce foreign words on purpose after awhile as a sort of underlaying mockery, or indifference to a person or their culture....why? "Cause we're fucking Americans!!! We're the best!!! Fuck all you other countries!!!" Now, I'm not saying everyone is that way, but we (Americans) get so hung up over this for some reason. But I could just be upset and totally overreacting. I mean I'm a person who thinks nearly every Translation of anime from Japanese to English is over acted, almost in a mocking way...not all anime, its getting better in recent years. But I can't think of a Miyazaki Hayao movie that doesn't make me want to vomit in English...

Toonami wa kieuseru!!!!

Right.....interesting perspective you have there. I bet the Dean was going all "chuckle-house" when he saw your last name too, right? Funny how a place that is one of the most welcoming of immigrants and has some of the strictest equality laws is accused for being the most offensive to people with unusual names.

The moral of the story: I dont think Naruto gives a damn how his name is pronounced.

Oh, and to add to Honoko's post.....
maybe i should feel offended every time kon-onji inaccurately says "boys and girls" i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

TwisT
Wed, 06-01-2005, 01:01 PM
I thought it was funny.. I laught several times..

SK
Wed, 06-01-2005, 01:23 PM

Toonami wa kieuseru!!!!

http://img54.echo.cx/img54/7929/killkid9zu.jpg

Fudgeman
Wed, 06-01-2005, 01:42 PM
that sent shivers through my spine... im glad i dont get that channel, but seriusly who cares about how he says naruto

Aeon
Wed, 06-01-2005, 01:53 PM
I really don't see the big problem with the way they say his name or calling Hokage, "head ninja".

Neko Haruko
Wed, 06-01-2005, 02:45 PM
To be honest, the misspronouniation(SP) doesn't bug me too much.
They say Poe-dell, pah-doll, poo-doll. But it is poe-doll. And its Spelled Podoll, people even mispell that!

ChaosK
Wed, 06-01-2005, 03:31 PM
well it bugs the hell out of some of the members here....

Assertn
Wed, 06-01-2005, 04:50 PM
well the "head ninja" thing could get annoying......
just imagine the conversation between the hokage and the kazekage.....

"ah well if it isnt SAND HEAD NINJA" - hokage
"Nice to see you're still in good health, LEAF HEAD NINJA" - kazekage

Jessper
Wed, 06-01-2005, 04:51 PM

Toonami wa kieuseru!!!!

Ya, you're cool. You can think like all the great "intellectuals" do!!

Don't assume that we disrespect anyone because we can't pronounce their names or anything. Think for your self a little and get off the whole American's are the devil band wagon until you have done some research and know one way or the other. Thanks!

I'll let you in on a little hint that will help you in your life to come too. People arn't going to care if you are pissed off because they mispronounced your name. Know why? It is because you are a no one, when you arn't a no one people won't mispronounce your name. Get used to it.

Mite Gai
Wed, 06-01-2005, 05:05 PM
I think Hokage to Head Ninja is a fair translation for english, I am willing to bet that they also are gonna translate jounin, chuunin, and genin probably. Maybe something like jounin = greater ninja, chuunin = lesser ninja, and genin = beginner ninja or something. And even if they do pronounce Naruto the way the narrator did I still don't think it would be that bad, I am more worried about the voice actors than the name pronunciation though so far Steve Blum (Spike Spiegel) has been confirmed as Kakashi which I think is pretty good choice since I think he can sound like Kakashi's Japanese voice actor. And for the scenes where the Hokage and Kazekage talk they probably are just gonna say Head Leaf and Head Sand or something, it would take too much time to say Leaf Head Ninja or Sand Head Ninja.

LobsterMagnet
Wed, 06-01-2005, 06:48 PM
I don't know what the rest of you are smoking but I thought the announcer prounced Naruto's name pefectly. Hell thats how I pronounce it. Why not complain about more important issues like how that preview did not have one scrap of naruto music and replaced it with some really really generic rock or how they used generic yelps and screams (my favorite is the one for Sakura as she catches sasuke when he gets his ass beat by rock lee).

GoatLord
Wed, 06-01-2005, 07:32 PM
The thing to keep in mind is that that promo was produced by Cartoon Network, not ShoPro. The term head ninja may not ever show up except when explaining what Hokage means. The only thing the promo really tells us is how CN is going to market Naruto.

On another note: did anyone else find it funny that when the narrator said "...everyone's a bully" they showed Rock Lee, who has the be the nicest guy in the whole village?

Jaredster
Wed, 06-01-2005, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by: GoatLord
The thing to keep in mind is that that promo was produced by Cartoon Network, not ShoPro. The term head ninja may not ever show up except when explaining what Hokage means. The only thing the promo really tells us is how CN is going to market Naruto.

On another note: did anyone else find it funny that when the narrator said "...everyone's a bully" they showed Rock Lee, who has the be the nicest guy in the whole village?

Well, seeing how the promo was just a montage of random clips of characters throughout the series, you shouldn't look into it that much.

GoatLord
Wed, 06-01-2005, 07:57 PM
I wasn't reading anything into it, I just thought it was funny.

Zinobi
Wed, 06-01-2005, 08:37 PM
waste of my time big huge ginourmous waste of my time i think they shouldve kept hokage instead of head ninja and it was a bad preview didnt even get to hear any of the voices just horrible pronunciations

basey44
Wed, 06-01-2005, 08:47 PM

haha yesss!! that was funny as, wen i saw it i was like wait they marketed lee as a bully hahaha

ChaosK
Wed, 06-01-2005, 08:53 PM
god knows how they'll change rock lee to cover up that mistake.

ShinobiNiNaritai
Wed, 06-01-2005, 10:02 PM
I guess we'll just have to wait and see how they end up doing it. Although from observing what has happened in the past (to other anime brought over) I am not holding out too much hope. I'm sure though that it isnt going to measure up to what we know and have gotten used to. Just have to take it as it comes and hope for the their best.

ChaosK
Wed, 06-01-2005, 10:30 PM
you acctually plan on watching it...?

Zoels
Wed, 06-01-2005, 11:25 PM
im gonna at least watch the first episode to see what its like.

ShinobiNiNaritai
Wed, 06-01-2005, 11:31 PM
I plan on seeing how they are going to make it out to be, but I dont need to see it when I already have the unsurpassed original. I am not planning on becoming a fervent fan of it nor following every single episode on Toonami, but I am planning on seeing how it will turn out. As I am sure a lot fo the folks on here are.

Assertn
Thu, 06-02-2005, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by: basey_69

haha yesss!! that was funny as, wen i saw it i was like wait they marketed lee as a bully hahaha

i always thought he said "everyone's a boy"
sort of joking about how little role the females in the series tend to play

and whats this "peace and prosperity for centuries" garbage? it seems to me that the beginning episodes of the series are the most peaceful its ever been for konoha

Eurasian
Thu, 06-02-2005, 12:51 AM
I don't know if it's true but I read somewhere that they will try to keep the jutsus in Japanese but they translated 'konoha' and 'hokage' so I don't know how true that is anymore.

Rhanfahl
Thu, 06-02-2005, 03:36 AM
ok, well first off allow me to take the time to thank all of you whom have offered "constructive" criticism within the forums. Or at least those of you who said something in the forums to rebuke me without just filling my message box up with slander as one of you has.

To all of you who simply think, "whatever, say things however you want, fuck the pronunciation, fuck the translation" I cannot understand why you then bitch about typos or when people like Dark Carnage post with the most horrible English ever written. The resounding point of my post was to point out that if you make a living (if it is your fucking job!) as professional speaker, part of your training, (credentials, degree, etc) should be that you study your script and learn how to speak what is written on it. Let's take the Spanish name Jose for instance. Now, especially in this day and age of "political correctness" bullshit you were to call Jose "Josie" not knowing how correctly say his name you would get the most cold evil stares from most people around you (even if you were ignorant of the fact).

AssertnFailure

The following is not addresses specifically to you in all said here below.

I feel for your friend Paxton, the dean of his school, or whomever was in charge of speaking the names at his commencement is clearly a dumb shit. Is it a big deal? Before you say "no" or "who the fuck cares", everyone shut your God dammed mouths for a minute and use your metaphoric ears (eyes) for a second to listen. My rant is not concerning every person that walks this Earth, only those that make a living doing things like this (narrator, commentator, public speaker). This is about "professionals" . I used the graduation scenario because it is one where I would think it would be more important, I'm not talking about when the nurse calls your name at the doctor's office. I commencement , particularly a university one at that is a very formal occasion. The speaker is not a randomly selected job at a commencement, usually if a professor, it is an English professor. Why? Because they would have a more commanding knowledge of the language and those names that don't always sound the way they are spelled. The point is in a situtation like that why should "John Robert Smith" or "Adam Thomas Jones" be said without a hitch, and "Wouter Aloysius Vruggnik" maybe not have a pronunciation key next to it so that the speaker doesn't slip on it or laugh nerveously trying to say it not having an idea how to? This can be embarassing for the graduate, and their family. Is it a big deal? Yes, it is, you may not think so because you are one of those "Smiths" or whatever.
Now in the field of Foreign language, again, these are supposed to be professionals. Is the narrator for Toonami commercials fleuent in Nihon-go....probably not? But was it professional for them to not even have an editor make some notes on the script that the announcer who has as many recordings to get it right as needed to take the time to say things correctly? The fact is, it would have been a simple edit, but it wasn't done, because they didnt' care.
To mention the flipside, for (AssertnFailure and Honoko) talking about the abomination that is Japanese spoken English.... yes, you should be upset, (perhaps it sounds silly to us, go ahead and laugh,not saying there's anything wrong with that). Go to engrish.com and see the most horrible English syntax you could imagine! The point? Such ignorance should not be permissable in a professional field, no matter what the country, or language.

AssertnFailure, you mention the "strictist equality laws". We follow them because we're told to, whether you believe it or not, a vast majority of the population of the Earth, is and forever will be Intolerant to others because of their color, race, ethnicity, culture, etc. The list goes on. Even the most foolish ignorant person who reads this forum will see it all over these forums, people attacking other for whatever reason, and I stress I AM NOT INNOCENT OF IT! Needless to say, the reason such laws are obeyed are because they have been beaten into our heads by the media, and with so many cultures living even in 1 city block if there weren't the chaos of this world would be far worse.

Next, Heretic I completely disagree with you, my Japanese teacher can probably speak better English than you, I know she does in comparison with me. If you tell her to say a sentence in Japanese and then English, you will distinctly hear her accent change from the typical high pitched Japanese Schoolgirl, to a perfect North Eastern United states accent. Another example is any Englishman that can come to America and eventually speak without an accent. I'm reminded of the father in the show "Frazier" who is infact English (which from that show I never would have thought).
"Americans would sound stupid trying to say Japanese words with stressed pronunciation."
No, Americans who know nothing about the language they are speaking would sound stupid saying a lot of foreign words. The solution is to hire actors with the following keyword "Talent"

Next, Jessper. I never said that everyone intentionally says names wrong, but I've seen it in my personal life. When at a new doctor's office a nurse called my name incorrectly, after telling her my correct name she responed "No it isn't" as if she knew my name better than I did. This bitter woman made me take out my Driver's License and Social Security Card showing that all my information but my Name (the first letter of my last name was wrong, that can cause MAJOR filing fuck ups!) Before she admitted she was wrong! Then proceeded after that to blatently call me by the file's name mockingly again as she left me in the exam room! So, point being, there are arrogant, belligerent, assholes out there.

"Think for your self a little and get off the whole American's are the devil band wagon until you have done some research and know one way or the other. Thanks!"
Don't go there, first off, "THE WORLD" is the devil, not America, but America is worse because they think they are better than anyone else (as a whole country, not necessarily individuals residing in it. I'm sorry for not stating that earlier). Now, I know I can't say this without giving you an example cause someone will just blindly flame me for saying so without backing it up. I really don't want to talk about this, but let's take the whole Sept. 2001 incident. All day, all I heard in the media was "How could this happen?" This is the same media that hour after hour reports incidents (not necessarily to this scale) just like this happening all over the world! So and so's government headquarters was bombed. But as you watch you never see the reporters stop and start crying and ask "how could this happen?" Why? because it happens all the time. People in America (my country) treat such things almost like a movie...its impersonal cause it didn't happen to them, they move on with their lives. But when it happens here, all of the sudden the are surprised and appauled at the government and all that other happy horse shit! My question isn't "How could this happen?".....no...my question is "How did this not happen sooner, to a people that have grown so secure and complacent?" Not everyone in this particular country is this way, but it is the general state of this country's people as perceived by our media information networks. Hate me for saying that if you want, but you cannot say its not true. America is not the devil...I will never say that, I love my country, but as a people are complacent, lazy, and have an attitude of "have it our way, cause we deserve it". Why don't the countless in other nations?

Jessper, do not presume to know me or my political views on this nation, or the world...simply because you don't, but I hope now you do, and can understand my point of view. I'm not angry with what you said to me.

"I'll let you in on a little hint that will help you in your life to come too. People arn't going to care if you are pissed off because they mispronounced your name. Know why? It is because you are a no one, when you arn't a no one people won't mispronounce your name. Get used to it. "

I won't debate you on that, you're absolutely right, I am a nobody. But 100,000 nobodies make a somebody, a powerful one at that. And if you think me "intellectual" then first off, thank you, and secondly I already knew what your sarcastic answer reguarding my statement would be. But it was never a question, it was a statement about the deplorable nature of people's laziness even in a professional world.

Also if I thought so "intellectually" my writing would be pure fact without emotion, as is the nature with the intellect. "Intellectual" also appears in the dictionary as "appealing to or engaging the intellect", and by that definition there really are no intellectuals on this entire forum, myself included.

KitKat
Thu, 06-02-2005, 07:17 AM
Next, Heretic I completely disagree with you, my Japanese teacher can probably speak better English than you, I know she does in comparison with me. If you tell her to say a sentence in Japanese and then English, you will distinctly hear her accent change from the typical high pitched Japanese Schoolgirl, to a perfect North Eastern United states accent. Another example is any Englishman that can come to America and eventually speak without an accent. I'm reminded of the father in the show "Frazier" who is infact English (which from that show I never would have thought).
"Americans would sound stupid trying to say Japanese words with stressed pronunciation."
No, Americans who know nothing about the language they are speaking would sound stupid saying a lot of foreign words. The solution is to hire actors with the following keyword "Talent"

I just wanted to comment quickly on this part, you guys know how much I love linguistics, and I couldn't resist. First off, someone who learns a language as a second language generally has a better grammatical understanding of that language than native speakers. When we speak our native languages we speak based on what feels natural to us. In general, if a native speaker is trying to decide between two possible grammatical constructions, they will go with the one that they intuitively think is right rather than trying to remember complex grammatical rules. Someone who learns it as a second language does not have the benefit of this intuition and therefore must rely solely on the grammar that they have learned. As a result, if they are well versed in grammar, they will likely speak more 'correct' English than most native speakers.

Now we come to the tricky issue of pronunciation. When you are a baby, you have the potential to hear every sound and to pronounce every sound. Through the process of language learning, you become conditioned to be sensitive to the particular sounds found in your language. You can lose the ability to pronounce sounds that aren't found in your language. So we have a double problem: being able to hear a foreign sound, and then being able to pronounce it. Generally if someone can do the first, they can learn the second, but people have differing levels of skill at this. Ever wonder why Chinese people are prone to mixing up 'r' and 'l' when they speak English? We grew up with these as two different letters, and so the difference is like night and day to us. However for them they grew up with a language where 'r' and 'l' are the same letter. Let me give you an English example. Say the word 'pat' and then the word 'spat' with your hand in front of your mouth. You'll notice that you feel a little puff of air from the p when you say the word 'pat' but not when you say the word 'spat'. This is called aspiration. In English, we don't pay attention to that difference, but in some languages aspirated and unaspirated sounds are separate letters and distinguish between words. I know I would have a hard time at one of those languages because my mind does not recognize the difference in the sound.

Anyways, let me get to my point before this post goes on forever. Some people cannot pronounce things 'correctly' because they cannot hear the difference, not because they are lazy or didn't try. They just can't.

Honoko
Thu, 06-02-2005, 07:18 AM
To mention the flipside, for (AssertnFailure and Honoko) talking about the abomination that is Japanese spoken English.... yes, you should be upset, (perhaps it sounds silly to us, go ahead and laugh,not saying there's anything wrong with that). Go to engrish.com and see the most horrible English syntax you could imagine! The point? Such ignorance should not be permissable in a professional field, no matter what the country, or language.

Actually, what you're ignorant about is the fact that the dialect of the Japanese prevents them from pronouncing english in a way Americans can understand it. And if you watch Japanese anime with ANY english class setting in a japanese school, you're able to note the level of 'professionalism' taught to the students. It's not ignorance we're talking about here. It's inability. Example, the Japanese, during all their lives, grew up with a dialect that has no specific 'L' or 'th' sound. The closest they can get to is 'rr' or 'sh'. I should know. I lived with a Japanese family in Tokyo for a few days once and my name has both letters in it. You think I should've gotten upset that they couldn't pronounce my name properly? The answer is NO. And you're totally mistaken if you think a Japanese "average joe" and a Japanese "professional" aren't cut from the same cloth.

And on the flipside, with my speaking as an asian-american, do you have any idea how much the American accent prevents people from speaking Asian languages properly? It's the same deal as above. It's what we grow up with. Maybe you can flip back and forth from Western and Asian languages really accurately. But if that's true, then it makes you more of an ass because now you're applying and imposing your sole experience onto everyone else. Good job, Mr. American. Now we know why the rest of the world hates our country so much.

Your last sentence smacks of elite-ism and lack of cross-cultural awareness-- not even appreciation. You go on railing about how much America sucks (but like me and everyone else, love to live here) but then you expect the rest of the world to conform to your American standard of english. Give me a break.

Jman
Thu, 06-02-2005, 10:23 AM
I'm hoping that they keep 'Wind' as the first ED.

basey44
Thu, 06-02-2005, 10:28 AM
holy crap thats a lot of writing up there, i could read it but i dun wanna die of bordem i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif
yea i also heard the jutsu names werent gonna be changed, but i think it was narutofan that said that

Hyuuga_Destiny
Thu, 06-02-2005, 11:22 AM
I think the worst part of the licensing is that Naruto will be shown over and over again...
Like DBZ here.
I mean, it's common for American tv that they show the beginning of the most exciting part of an arc, and the next week they'll begin all over again...

I could guess that the beginning of the big Zabuza fight on the bridge will be the end of the first American Naruto season.
Then you'll have to watch everything over and over again untill the finished the Zabuza arc. Of course they'll stop at the beginning of the Chuunin exmas, etc...

I mean, this can really draw the blood from underneath your nails i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif
That's what I hated so much about DBZ in English, didn't have that problem with the Cantonese version.
Same with Gundam Wing.

The Heretic Azazel
Thu, 06-02-2005, 11:35 AM
[quote]
Originally posted by: RhanfahlNext, Heretic I completely disagree with you, my Japanese teacher can probably speak better English than you

Don't pretend you know shit about me jerkoff, because you don't. I somehow survived through that horribly mangled excuse for a post and your fucking stereotypical anti-American sentiment is grating on my nerves. Yeah, let's use 9/11 to illustrate the problems with American media. People like you are a dime a dozen, but you're worse because you're a self proclaimed American. And way to back up your points by usiong some random nurse no one knows as an example of speech, I guess only America has trouble mispronouncing names too.

Assertn
Thu, 06-02-2005, 11:57 AM
Let's take a moment to think about the target audience for toonami.........

hmm....I'd imagine English speaking kids who have very limited experience with japanese culture
Do you think this audience cares how the name "Naruto" is pronounced? No....

In fact, at least half of the people whom I know personally that have watched Naruto pronounce it the EXACT same way as that announcer pronounced it, and they watch the SUBBED episodes. Point is, you learn a trend in pronounciation based on the way words are spelled, and its natural for English speaking folk to place an emphasis somewhere in a word. No matter how its said, the audience as a whole will still twist it to fit their tongue better. Most of us can pronounce it properly because we've been watching the show for several years now. In the first months, however, I mispronounced it just as they did. If you get a narrator and throw a script at him for a series he's never watched before, then he's going to mess it up. And so what if he does? Is it relevant enough to affect the show in any way?

SK
Thu, 06-02-2005, 01:15 PM
i agree with kitkat 100%. in the english language, you dont roll your Rs like you do in other languages. naruto is being dubbed into english, so of course they will pronounce it as if the word naruto is english, na roo toe. and, like kitkat said, even if they decided for some odd reason to pronounce the word with a japanese accent, there are a lot of english speakers who cannot pronounce the word anyway.

Neko Haruko
Thu, 06-02-2005, 03:04 PM
You have a point. It just bugs me a bit. I guess the Narratr just didn't know how to say it well so he tired. I kinda did the same.

Jessper
Thu, 06-02-2005, 05:15 PM
Next, Jessper. I never said that everyone intentionally says names wrong, but I've seen it in my personal life. When at a new doctor's office a nurse called my name incorrectly, after telling her my correct name she responed "No it isn't" as if she knew my name better than I did. This bitter woman made me take out my Driver's License and Social Security Card showing that all my information but my Name (the first letter of my last name was wrong, that can cause MAJOR filing fuck ups!) Before she admitted she was wrong! Then proceeded after that to blatently call me by the file's name mockingly again as she left me in the exam room! So, point being, there are arrogant, belligerent, assholes out there.

That was a wonderful story, however it doesn't apply here. I was talking about assumptions. It is fine to be mad when someone is willfully ignorant and trying to make you angry by mispronouncing your name. Automatically assuming that people are doing it to get you angry is overzealous.

I really don't want to talk about this, but let's take the whole Sept. 2001 incident. All day, all I heard in the media was "How could this happen?" This is the same media that hour after hour reports incidents (not necessarily to this scale) just like this happening all over the world! So and so's government headquarters was bombed. But as you watch you never see the reporters stop and start crying and ask "how could this happen?" Why? because it happens all the time. People in America (my country) treat such things almost like a movie...its impersonal cause it didn't happen to them, they move on with their lives. But when it happens here, all of the sudden the are surprised and appauled at the government and all that other happy horse shit! My question isn't "How could this happen?".....no...my question is "How did this not happen sooner, to a people that have grown so secure and complacent?" Not everyone in this particular country is this way, but it is the general state of this country's people as perceived by our media information networks. Hate me for saying that if you want, but you cannot say its not true. America is not the devil...I will never say that, I love my country, but as a people are complacent, lazy, and have an attitude of "have it our way, cause we deserve it". Why don't the countless in other nations?

Ya, when that tsunami happened recently everyone here in the US shrugged it off. Oh wait, people donated massive amounts of money to help people they didn't even know. To say that we don't care when bad things happen in places outside of the US is either ignorance or just a personal example of you not caring. Yes, we may have been less worried about the tsunami than 9/11 but EVERYONE has a stronger reaction to the death of a loved one or friend than people they don't know.

Also if I thought so "intellectually" my writing would be pure fact without emotion, as is the nature with the intellect. "Intellectual" also appears in the dictionary as "appealing to or engaging the intellect", and by that definition there really are no intellectuals on this entire forum, myself included.

The quotes were intended to convey sarcasm.

Y
Thu, 06-02-2005, 07:34 PM
ok, well first off allow me to take the time to thank all of you whom have offered "constructive" criticism within the forums. Or at least those of you who said something in the forums to rebuke me without just filling my message box up with slander as one of you has.

To all of you who simply think, "whatever, say things however you want, fuck the pronunciation, fuck the translation" I cannot understand why you then bitch about typos or when people like Dark Carnage post with the most horrible English ever written. The resounding point of my post was to point out that if you make a living (if it is your fucking job!) as professional speaker, part of your training, (credentials, degree, etc) should be that you study your script and learn how to speak what is written on it. Let's take the Spanish name Jose for instance. Now, especially in this day and age of "political correctness" bullshit you were to call Jose "Josie" not knowing how correctly say his name you would get the most cold evil stares from most people around you (even if you were ignorant of the fact).

AssertnFailure

The following is not addresses specifically to you in all said here below.

I feel for your friend Paxton, the dean of his school, or whomever was in charge of speaking the names at his commencement is clearly a dumb shit. Is it a big deal? Before you say "no" or "who the fuck cares", everyone shut your God dammed mouths for a minute and use your metaphoric ears (eyes) for a second to listen. My rant is not concerning every person that walks this Earth, only those that make a living doing things like this (narrator, commentator, public speaker). This is about "professionals" . I used the graduation scenario because it is one where I would think it would be more important, I'm not talking about when the nurse calls your name at the doctor's office. I commencement , particularly a university one at that is a very formal occasion. The speaker is not a randomly selected job at a commencement, usually if a professor, it is an English professor. Why? Because they would have a more commanding knowledge of the language and those names that don't always sound the way they are spelled. The point is in a situtation like that why should "John Robert Smith" or "Adam Thomas Jones" be said without a hitch, and "Wouter Aloysius Vruggnik" maybe not have a pronunciation key next to it so that the speaker doesn't slip on it or laugh nerveously trying to say it not having an idea how to? This can be embarassing for the graduate, and their family. Is it a big deal? Yes, it is, you may not think so because you are one of those "Smiths" or whatever.
Now in the field of Foreign language, again, these are supposed to be professionals. Is the narrator for Toonami commercials fleuent in Nihon-go....probably not? But was it professional for them to not even have an editor make some notes on the script that the announcer who has as many recordings to get it right as needed to take the time to say things correctly? The fact is, it would have been a simple edit, but it wasn't done, because they didnt' care.

AssertnFailure, you mention the "strictist equality laws". We follow them because we're told to, whether you believe it or not, a vast majority of the population of the Earth, is and forever will be Intolerant to others because of their color, race, ethnicity, culture, etc. The list goes on. Even the most foolish ignorant person who reads this forum will see it all over these forums, people attacking other for whatever reason, and I stress I AM NOT INNOCENT OF IT! Needless to say, the reason such laws are obeyed are because they have been beaten into our heads by the media, and with so many cultures living even in 1 city block if there weren't the chaos of this world would be far worse.

"Think for your self a little and get off the whole American's are the devil band wagon until you have done some research and know one way or the other. Thanks!"
Don't go there, first off, "THE WORLD" is the devil, not America, but America is worse because they think they are better than anyone else (as a whole country, not necessarily individuals residing in it. I'm sorry for not stating that earlier). Now, I know I can't say this without giving you an example cause someone will just blindly flame me for saying so without backing it up. I really don't want to talk about this, but let's take the whole Sept. 2001 incident. All day, all I heard in the media was "How could this happen?" This is the same media that hour after hour reports incidents (not necessarily to this scale) just like this happening all over the world! So and so's government headquarters was bombed. But as you watch you never see the reporters stop and start crying and ask "how could this happen?" Why? because it happens all the time. People in America (my country) treat such things almost like a movie...its impersonal cause it didn't happen to them, they move on with their lives. But when it happens here, all of the sudden the are surprised and appauled at the government and all that other happy horse shit! My question isn't "How could this happen?".....no...my question is "How did this not happen sooner, to a people that have grown so secure and complacent?" Not everyone in this particular country is this way, but it is the general state of this country's people as perceived by our media information networks. Hate me for saying that if you want, but you cannot say its not true. America is not the devil...I will never say that, I love my country, but as a people are complacent, lazy, and have an attitude of "have it our way, cause we deserve it". Why don't the countless in other nations?

Jessper, do not presume to know me or my political views on this nation, or the world...simply because you don't, but I hope now you do, and can understand my point of view. I'm not angry with what you said to me.

"I'll let you in on a little hint that will help you in your life to come too. People arn't going to care if you are pissed off because they mispronounced your name. Know why? It is because you are a no one, when you arn't a no one people won't mispronounce your name. Get used to it. "

I won't debate you on that, you're absolutely right, I am a nobody. But 100,000 nobodies make a somebody, a powerful one at that. And if you think me "intellectual" then first off, thank you, and secondly I already knew what your sarcastic answer reguarding my statement would be. But it was never a question, it was a statement about the deplorable nature of people's laziness even in a professional world.

http://img213.echo.cx/img213/3876/emotwords8ce.gif

Stupid, single emoticon reply. User has been warned.

GotWoot Moderator

Don't tell me you want people to treat this shit seriously.

ChaosK
Thu, 06-02-2005, 07:40 PM
that was extremely long, and all it was was putting down people who thought differentally. (yes i'm talking about that long ass post up there)

Mite Gai
Fri, 06-03-2005, 04:29 AM
Wow, as soon as I read Rhanfal's post last page I almost died of boredom. SOOOO LONG!!! Rhanfal you gotta just accept other people's opinions and stop stereotyping english speaking people who speak foreign languages as jerks who don't attempt to speak it correctly. Oh and Rhanfal, a country is its people, so when you insult the people of America, you insult the country of America, not that I have a problem with that I just wanted to make sure you understood what you are saying.

P.S. I have no problem with anyone who makes posts in bad english, I just prefer to have good posts so I can read the post quicker.

Deblas
Fri, 06-03-2005, 08:08 AM
As long as the names of the characters are kept, the dub voices are good, and they don't butcher it. I couldn't care less.

Jurojin
Fri, 06-03-2005, 08:11 AM
What *is* the proper pronunceation of Naruto?

I've always done how it sounds in the anime, "Naru-Toe" or, emphasis on the "t"

NineTailsKitsu
Fri, 06-03-2005, 09:06 AM
I didn't honestly mind CN's "trailer" of English Naruto simply because, by the way it seems at the moment: they don't even have real dubbed footage! I mean, the narration for the trailer was the guy who always does Toonami stuff, and his prounciation of Naruto more than likely isn't the one used by Sho-Pro in the dubbing. As for whether or not it will hold ground compared to the original series Is as completely differen't story...It all depends on who they cast for voice acting, how badly they cut up the things they don't like about the series...and if they decide to translate the moves or not....We'll just have to see.

Arsinoi
Fri, 06-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Well yes the trailer actually was not dubbed so what that guy said might not be all correct. You have to wait for the actual dub to come out before jumping to conclusions.

As for the thing with the pronunciations let me tell you my opinion as a non American. When speaking a foreign language within your own country it's not really necessary to have an accent or even try to fake one or pronounce sth correctly because the majority of people speaking the same language don't . They usually make fun of you if you try it. Take for example my people, Greek people, they speak so weird in Englissh its a pain for most people to hear (completely blatant). I always had an accent naturally because I loved English but my classmates who didn't made fun of me until my teacher told them that their English pronunciation sucked contrary to mine. Not only my classmates even random people laughed when they heard my English. But I always sound like a native speaker be it English, French or Japanese. And only the native speakers appreciate it.

The same goes for every country even America. Of course there are going to be mistakes in pronunciacion esp if it is within a mainstream aimed show like Naruto. So don't complain.
Well I guess the Japanese have a harder time thean other not being able to pronounce most English words. Or German. Or Greek. (Have you ever heard a Japanese speak Greek? It's so very weird ...)

Fox Fire
Sat, 06-04-2005, 11:30 AM
Well we know Tom can pronounce things correctly. (note to how he pronounced Katamari Damacy)

ChaosK
Sat, 06-04-2005, 08:35 PM
SOMETIMES he can, did you see what he did to kenshin? kenshin with out blood was weird....

and, who acctually plans on watching this? (i'm just wondering)

Kovash
Sun, 06-05-2005, 10:59 AM
For all those complaining about the pronunciation of Naruto, just be damn happy it wasn't 'Nay-roo-doe' (I've heard to many people say it like that it makes me want to scream...)

The treialer itself was pretty crap, in my opinion, I find it interesting that they try and pass it off as an 'action thriller', rather than the 'moral comedy' it's supposed to be. Completely missed the main themes just to pawn off flashy fight scenes.

OO, that rhymed, I'm a poet, and I didn't know it i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

ChaosK
Sun, 06-05-2005, 01:17 PM
congragulations, and people pronounce it nay-roo-toe just to mock it...nobody acctually does it like that normally...(i think) and yes as we've all said the trailer was crappy though it'd probably draw me in if i didnt alrdy watch it. (they said he was soon to graduate the ninja school and they were showing the scene where hes fighting haku...) he graduates in the first ep and officially graduates in ep 3...

Jessper
Sun, 06-05-2005, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by: Kovash
I find it interesting that they try and pass it off as an 'action thriller', rather than the 'moral comedy' it's supposed to be.

Huh? Lets review the last arc, we had about 20 episodes of fighting and very little comedy.

What of the Tsunade arc? (Skipping the filler arc as the filler should not determine the mindset of the series as the creator did not make them) We had a major fight something like 5 episodes long and though comedy was used to lighten the mood sometimes it was not the major focus. Also all Naruto's training in that arc wasn't very funny, at least to me.

Next the Chuunin exam, some comedy, vast amounts more of action. The arc before that? Country of the Wave, usual comedy to lighten the mood occasionally, with a strong focus on the fights with Zabuza.

I left a few parts but the vast majority of this series is based around the action and has comedy interjected occasionally. If you are looking for a moral comedy in Naruto, I suggest waiting for filler arcs because that is all the anime's "writers" seem to want to do. I will secede that there is a lot of issues of morality that are the focus of some characters but I don't understand saying that they were wrong in marketing Naruto as an action anime.

Shirikage
Sun, 06-05-2005, 04:04 PM
Wow, there's a whole lot of stupid in this thread. A lot of really long-winded stupid, at that.

The only promos that matter are the ones that will come in August, which will actually have dubbed voicework in them. The music in the promos NEVER MATTER, because the music in the promos is stuff the network puts in for their own purposes, that has bugger-all to do with the music in the actual show. And, of course, the Toonami announcer's pronunciation of the name Naruto means absolutely nothing. Maybe someone will correct him for the next round of promos, who knows. It's like that one guy they had who could never pronounce Pokemon right.

As for everyone bashing the hell out of the dub before even one episode is shown...grow up. Sheesh. If you don't want to see Naruto dubbed, then don't watch it, but at least wait until it comes out before you start ranting about how bad it's going to suck. Simple fact: YOU DO NOT KNOW UNTIL YOU SEE IT. For all YOU know, it MAY end up being the BEST FREAKING DUB EVER.

I'm pretty sure it WON'T, mind. But that's something we won't know for certain until September.

So chill.

And I know it's asking too much of this lot, but some of you could at least TRY to not be such complete morons.

Kovash
Mon, 06-06-2005, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by: Jessper
Huh? Lets review the last arc, we had about 20 episodes of fighting and very little comedy.

What of the Tsunade arc? (Skipping the filler arc as the filler should not determine the mindset of the series as the creator did not make them) We had a major fight something like 5 episodes long and though comedy was used to lighten the mood sometimes it was not the major focus. Also all Naruto's training in that arc wasn't very funny, at least to me.

Next the Chuunin exam, some comedy, vast amounts more of action. The arc before that? Country of the Wave, usual comedy to lighten the mood occasionally, with a strong focus on the fights with Zabuza.

I left a few parts but the vast majority of this series is based around the action and has comedy interjected occasionally. If you are looking for a moral comedy in Naruto, I suggest waiting for filler arcs because that is all the anime's "writers" seem to want to do. I will secede that there is a lot of issues of morality that are the focus of some characters but I don't understand saying that they were wrong in marketing Naruto as an action anime.

I suppose this falls into the same catagory as the fight I have with my friends on 'Why we should like The Matrix?'

The way I see it, Naruto is about a boy and his hardships because of the difficult circumstances he is put in - sure, there is fighting, but that's not what it's ABOUT. The Naruto Anime (and Manga) isn't trying to tell you that we should all solve our problems by summoning giant frogs an snakes and wreaking havok among our friends because they aren't very nice, it's about Naruto (funily enough) and his trials and hardships. The fights have a PURPOSE, people don't just go around beating up on other people for the hell of it, even the bad-guys have a notive, unlike many other stories I could mention...

Point: What I disagree with, is that this never gets a mention in the so-called advertsment, that ad. basically said, "Wanna see animated, flashy effects from Japan!? Well, watch this show. It's popular over there so it should be here too!"

I am aware this is just a teaser, but why don't they just cut out the narrator and have the saem random scenes thrown together, it's be just as effective and a less innaccurate portrayal of the storyline (in the event that the Dubb BECOMES based on all the fighting, I'll be sorely dissapointed.)

DarthEnderX
Mon, 06-06-2005, 11:43 AM
The way I see it, Naruto is about a boy and his hardships because of the difficult circumstances he is put in - sure, there is fighting, but that's not what it's ABOUT. The Naruto Anime (and Manga) isn't trying to tell you that we should all solve our problems by summoning giant frogs an snakes and wreaking havok among our friends because they aren't very nice, it's about Naruto (funily enough) and his trials and hardships.

Buuuullshit. If they took all the fights out of this show and left the "boy and his trials and hardships" in, nobody would watch the fucking thing. On the reverse side, if you took out the "boy and his trials and hardships" story and left in all the fights, it wouldn't be as good, but it'd still probably be watched by tons of people.

Rhanfahl
Mon, 06-06-2005, 01:23 PM
Well, I'm not sure if I was fortunate enough or unfortunate enough to see the actual Toonami post, but when this whole thread was started, I was under the impression that the narrator was totally fucking up pretty much everything about the show, from pronunciations to the basic story, to the character names, (I had thought he said things like Nah-roo-dou) and all that stupid horse shit. I know that people can't always produce a certain accent. If you think I was going off about pronunciation based on accents...I'm sorry to have misled you. What I was upset about was that Japanese words are the easiest things in the world to say cause they all have only one vowel sound. If you take ten seconds to break down even the longest word its pretty simple to pronounce. Yeah, the R/L sound is kinda fucked up but "Na ru to" is really easy to say accent or not. So, if you can't produce that sound normally you would treat it as a "R" because that is how the Nihonjin treat it in Romanji spellings anyway. Therefore, if the narrator could say a word as simple as that, he shouldn't be working there. It was about professionalism and cultural awareness....and it got totally blown out of fucking proportion! My goal in this forum is not to piss people off (usually), but appearantly everything I say does (with an almost certainty). So, sorry for pissing everyone off, reguardless of who's right or wrong. I don't hate/dislike anyone on this forum, even if their only reply to me is pure slander or bullshit. I just like to debate.

Jessper
Mon, 06-06-2005, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by: Kovash
The way I see it, Naruto is about a boy and his hardships because of the difficult circumstances he is put in - sure, there is fighting, but that's not what it's ABOUT. The Naruto Anime (and Manga) isn't trying to tell you that we should all solve our problems by summoning giant frogs an snakes and wreaking havok among our friends because they aren't very nice, it's about Naruto (funily enough) and his trials and hardships. The fights have a PURPOSE, people don't just go around beating up on other people for the hell of it, even the bad-guys have a notive, unlike many other stories I could mention...

Agreed, however if it was marketed as a comedy then wouldn't people be just a bit surprised that every 3rd episode is only about a fight? The anime is about the story, not fighting however the story is deeply entwined with fierce battles. If you told people this series was a comedy then they watched it I bet most people would never listen to you about a shows connotation again.

Either way, the show is an action thriller as there is a large amount of action. A lot of stories have a large focus on action but the main focus is the story and they are marketed as action thrillers.

When I told my friend about Naruto (around the Tsunade arc) I told him that it was a sweet show with some cool fighting and an interesting story. Notice, I didn't tell him the shows focus was on comedy and morality. He also told another friend of ours about Naruto giving the same description as I gave him. They both watch it regularly now and as I'm here typing this they tell me my description was accurate.

Shinigami
Mon, 06-06-2005, 07:44 PM
i had to post this:
It seems Viz has plans for Naruto outside Toonami.

An anonymous source has provided some information about the production of Naruto's dub. It turns out they're looking to give Naruto as wide an audience as possible, including airing it on multiple blocks on Cartoon Network and eventually in syndication after Cartoon Network's contract expires.
Unfortunately, this means heavy cuts and plot changes to meet the "lowest common denominator".

Naruto and his friends still make their way through ninja school, but will emphasize peaceful resolutions to problems they encounter.

A screen grab was leaked to us by the same contributor of an edit early on in the series. In the original Japanese version, Naruto stabbed his hand in an effort to show his seriousness about an upcoming mission. In the Americanized/edited version, Naruto is shown angry about his mother's choice of lunch.
Jap Version
http://uploads.offtopic.com/files/11222222222222.jpg
American Version
http://uploads.offtopic.com/files/1222222222.jpg

DISCLAIMER
[Taken from a non disclosable source]

Y
Mon, 06-06-2005, 09:54 PM
Taken from a hilariously fake source.

basey44
Mon, 06-06-2005, 10:23 PM
wait so naruto has lunch? wats this a mum too?

Krnboixbabo
Tue, 06-07-2005, 06:32 PM
i think its going to be really dumb....i mean look what they did to one piece...

Y
Tue, 06-07-2005, 06:33 PM
This isn't being done by the same group that did One Piece.

ChaosK
Tue, 06-07-2005, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by: basey44
wait so naruto has lunch? wats this a mum too?

it was all bullshit.

Kovash
Wed, 06-08-2005, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by: Jessper
Agreed, however if it was marketed as a comedy then wouldn't people be just a bit surprised that every 3rd episode is only about a fight? The anime is about the story, not fighting however the story is deeply entwined with fierce battles. If you told people this series was a comedy then they watched it I bet most people would never listen to you about a shows connotation again.

First of all, I didn't say Naruto didn't have anything to do with fighting, I said every fight had a REASON, unlike most americanised crap we see on TV now-a-days; aka, a Hero fights off some bandits ( conviniently masked so we don't have to know who they are) just to show how cool and powerful the hero is. Just like in the Matrix (the first one, not the other two) there were no fights for fighting's sake, it all blended with the story perfectly (unlike the last two [especially Reloaded... that was a peice of crap.] where the entire show just STOPS for a single fight, then picks up right where they left off, like the fight never happened or didn't matter.... because it didn't...)

I'm not saying Naruto is the perfect story, but it atleast HAS a story, and marketing it as nothing but a fight-fest is doing nothing but destroying that aspect of it.

PS. The only reason I called it a comedy (which was supposed to be an offhand comment, more than anything) is because I find it, most times (except when something deadly serious is happening, and even that has exceptions) I find it quite hallarious. So no, I probably wouldn't market it as a Comedy, but i'd throw in one of those funny scenes anyway, seeing as they just threw together random clips that have nothing in common.

XanBcoo
Fri, 06-10-2005, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by: Fox Fire
Well we know Tom can pronounce things correctly. (note to how he pronounced Katamari Damacy)

I guess we're in luck then, because Tom is voiced by Steven Blum.

thoregundi
Sun, 06-12-2005, 12:05 PM
http://turnerinfo.com/newsitem...4bac-bbf5-e81422aa3796 (http://turnerinfo.com/newsitem.aspx?P=CARTOON&CID01=5991e4de-e163-4bac-bbf5-e81422aa3796)

The above link is the official press release of Naruto being bought by American TV.
(Just do a search in the text for Naruto)

In it, it says that it will begin in the "Third Quarter".

Anyone know when is the "Third Quarter" ?

If you still havnt seen the preview here is a link:
http://www.point-blank.cc:7001...31e50e597c0520e9fe3f5b (http://www.point-blank.cc:7001/torrents/Toonami_Naruto_Preview.avi.torrent?info_hash=7d8ca 19fe2843f168a31e50e597c0520e9fe3f5b)

Hyuuga_Destiny
Sun, 06-12-2005, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by: thoregundi
http://turnerinfo.com/newsitem...4bac-bbf5-e81422aa3796 (http://turnerinfo.com/newsitem.aspx?P=CARTOON&CID01=5991e4de-e163-4bac-bbf5-e81422aa3796)

The above link is the official press release of Naruto being bought by American TV.
(Just do a search in the text for Naruto)

In it, it says that it will begin in the "Third Quarter".

Anyone know when is the "Third Quarter" ?

If you still havnt seen the preview here is a link:
http://www.point-blank.cc:7001...31e50e597c0520e9fe3f5b (http://www.point-blank.cc:7001/torrents/Toonami_Naruto_Preview.avi.torrent?info_hash=7d8ca 19fe2843f168a31e50e597c0520e9fe3f5b)

usually that is from July to September
I'm not sure

ChaosK
Sun, 06-12-2005, 03:12 PM
i figured it'd be september to december, third qurater as in third qurater of the aer?

American Hero
Mon, 06-13-2005, 12:29 AM
Well, you people are treating the name issue rather indifferently...well look at it this way. Let's your name is hard to pronounce, as my actual last name....which really isn't people fuck up saying all the time. No, when you are graduating from College with honors or something, and your entire family is there, cheering you on, and the Dean is shouting off all the name correctly and when he gets to yours, totally fucks it up, and stumbles over trying to say it 3 or 4 different ways....naturally you're going to be a little...well....FUCKING PISSED OFF!!!

I sure hope Naruto isn't offended by the way Americans pronounce his name.

trejkaz
Thu, 06-16-2005, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by: Chaoskiddo
i figured it'd be september to december, third qurater as in third qurater of the aer?

WTF? The third quarter of the year would be July to September. September to December isn't even a quarter. Did you fail primary school maths?

Assertn
Thu, 06-16-2005, 11:10 AM
oh god......they have bobobo too?

Cyberdude93
Fri, 06-17-2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by: KitKat
Say the word 'pat' and then the word 'spat' with your hand in front of your mouth. You'll notice that you feel a little puff of air from the p when you say the word 'pat' but not when you say the word 'spat'.

Judging by everything else you said, you're clearly an expert on the subject. However I feel no difference. Is it because you're in Canada (saw your profile =P) and I'm Scottish? Also one of my English friends has it the same.

XanBcoo
Fri, 06-17-2005, 11:07 PM
I just watched the promo again.
It's pretty useless except for the fact that it's getting the Naruto name out there. No real footage or dub voices (does anyone have any idea when this'll happen?).

Also, the mispronouncing Naruto's name thing doesn't really bother me. Besides, it's just the Toonami announcer. Right?

Originally posted by: Y
This isn't being done by the same group that did One Piece.

some people still haven't grasped this idea yet.

potentialflip
Sat, 06-18-2005, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by: The Heretic Azazel
Why is it a big deal how his damn name is pronounced? I could pronounce it like the Japs but I don't, because I'm American, I stress the U.. cause that's just how it goes with English.

Boy then we are going to be hearing a lot of stressing which in my ears will sound a little weird. Like Sa SUUU ke. Sa KUUU ra. It doesn't really matter but like I said it will just sound weird to my ears. I did a once over. ShoPro did do the promo if you think Toonami did it nope. It was ShoPro who did it all. The fact that Hokage is being called Head Ninja only means the ranks are truly going to be changed. So here it comes Journeymen. I like how they put it the whole emphasis on the academy. So does that mean the rumor of only 60-80 episodes (where the chuunin exam arc ends) could it be true?!

RyougaZell
Sat, 06-18-2005, 08:25 AM
I find amussing that the promo says its about Naruto's life on the Ninja Academy... when he finished it on EPISODE ONE!!!

What I don't like of the mispronunciation on the US Dub will be that... the mispronunciation will be carried on to the rest of the DUBS done based on it (latin Dub)

Seriously, I really do not care if the names are misprononunced, I still will be watching the japanese version, but really... how hard is to say SAkura instead of saKOOra? bleh

Oh yeah, Rock Lee a bully, and Haku is the final exam... I can see it clearly... another Knight of the Zodiacs fiasco (if any of you saw Saint Seiya in japanese or in spanish (Mexico saw Saint Seiya in between 1993 and 1996) you would understand)

KitKat
Sun, 06-19-2005, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by: Cyberdude93

Originally posted by: KitKat
Say the word 'pat' and then the word 'spat' with your hand in front of your mouth. You'll notice that you feel a little puff of air from the p when you say the word 'pat' but not when you say the word 'spat'.

Judging by everything else you said, you're clearly an expert on the subject. However I feel no difference. Is it because you're in Canada (saw your profile =P) and I'm Scottish? Also one of my English friends has it the same.

That's a good point. I should have qualified that to apply to North American dialects of English. Small features like this are the ones that change the most between dialects, since they don't affect meaning. Just out of curiosity, do you pronounce them both aspirated, or both unaspirated? And I guess this is a little off-topic.... I created a thread for linguistic discussion a while ago, so if you want you can respond there.
Linguistic discussion (http://forums.gotwoot.net/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=14442&STARTPAGE= 1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear)

nasman
Wed, 06-22-2005, 12:48 PM
isnt a significant amount of anti-japanese sentiment in the older generations of americans? they're probably got some kinda weird inferiority complex paranoi thing since japanese are generally perceived to be much smarter and hardworking then your average american.

even so, i dont think they sub things overdramatically on purpose out of some cultural racism - i think it has more to do with the fact that anime is treated like kids tv in america and therefore everything has to have an annoying overacted feel so that the attention-deficity-hyper-obese-quasi-retarded children might take more notice. you know what i mean, its the way the teacher for special class kids talks to make learning the alphabet more exciting, lol....

and head-ninja isnt so bad really. i'm more interested what they'll do with the blood spurts - anyone for pixellated cheapo crossfades nicked out of powerpoint? lol

i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

XanBcoo
Wed, 06-22-2005, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by: nasman
even so, i dont think they sub things overdramatically on purpose out of some cultural racism - i think it has more to do with the fact that anime is treated like kids tv in america and therefore everything has to have an annoying overacted feel so that the attention-deficity-hyper-obese-quasi-retarded children might take more notice. you know what i mean, its the way the teacher for special class kids talks to make learning the alphabet more exciting, lol....

but wait...
how many japanese adults are watching Naruto in the same way that an american adult watches a "serious" american, non-animated show?
what I mean is, is anime really treated more seriously just because it's more accepted in japan? Isn't naruto's audience primarily children or teens, and not a more "mature" crowd? or am I wrong?

you could see a commercial for Naruto merchandise in Japan and think, "ok, fine"
but when you see a commercial for Naruto merchandise in America (and we just might!), you'd say "damn fucking Americans bastardising Naruto making it for hyperactive little children!"
My point is, is Naruto's audience in Japan any different from what Naruto's audience will be over here?

EDIT: Why was my topic about the dubbed naruto locked? This topic is about the promo shown on Toonami.

masamuneehs
Wed, 06-29-2005, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by: xanbcoo
you could see a commercial for Naruto merchandise in Japan and think, "ok, fine"
but when you see a commercial for Naruto merchandise in America (and we just might!), you'd say "damn fucking Americans bastardising Naruto making it for hyperactive little children!"
My point is, is Naruto's audience in Japan any different from what Naruto's audience will be over here?

EDIT: Why was my topic about the dubbed naruto locked? This topic is about the promo shown on Toonami.

Yeh I've often wondered too if the average ange range of viewers in Japan is anything like the range seen in America when they dub it and bring it over? I would have to guess that the range is really about the same for shows released to DVD and such. However, since Cartoon Network is almost entirely for children (AdultkickassSwim the exception) and American viewers mostly having already judged which channels they will watch and which they wont (obviously time of day effects this greatly) I think that anime on CN is watched by a younger audience (on average) than when shown in Japan.

This is my guess only. I may certainly be wrong.

Oh, and I just think the admins here are trying to keep the volume of threads to a minimum and since this really has turned into the place to speculate about the dubbed Naruto, they want to cut down any others. Besides, topic name is "American Naruto, (note the comma, indicating a pause and basically making the topic, 'American Naruto') preview was just shown. Yeh, I'm a bastard picky jerkoff. whatever

AtHRunOwNZaLL
Fri, 07-01-2005, 02:04 PM
i think some ppl will hate how naruto is pronounced but eventually accept it cuz when i first saw gundam seed dubbed i hated how they pronounced athrun but later i just accepted it

XanBcoo
Fri, 07-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Yeah, for the most part, bad pronounciation is damn annoying. But it's pretty easy to get over if you stop complaining about it.
Just don't start mispronouncing it yourself, ;p

Anyone else say "naRUto" and not "NAruto"?? It's how the name was introduced to me and I've never been able to break the habbit.

I hope we get some decent promo's now that the show's in the process of being dubbed.

thoregundi
Sat, 07-02-2005, 04:27 AM
when im gettin drunk with my friends i'll sometimes yell NARUTO-KUN , and i'll say it the way Hinata says it.

Rhanfahl
Sat, 07-02-2005, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by: thoregundi
when im gettin drunk with my friends i'll sometimes yell NARUTO-KUN , and i'll say it the way Hinata says it.

That's creepy, scary, and kinda funny all at the same time, especially if you pull off the voice. Plus, your face would be all red from drinking so you don't have to worry about the blushing effect. ::shudder::