PDA

View Full Version : Warning System

Wilik
Wed, 05-25-2005, 05:55 PM
A warning system has been implemented into the forums. Everytime a user does not follow the rules or just ignores the rules a warning will be issued by the Moderators. The warning system will tally the number of warnings a user has and take action based on the amount.

3 warnings = 3 day ban from the forums.
4 warnings = 1 week ban
5 warnings = 3 week ban
6 warnings = perma ban

Consider this a heads up.

basey44
Thu, 05-26-2005, 04:53 AM
wats the decay on warnings, like weekly, monthly, every 6 months, or even at all?
gotta plan my rule breaking accordinly i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

SK
Thu, 05-26-2005, 08:11 AM
good idea.

Wilik
Thu, 05-26-2005, 10:55 AM
Never. Why should we forget about a warning we gave you so you can forget about it too?

ChaosK
Tue, 05-31-2005, 06:08 PM
so how in the world could u engrave every warning into ur head? wouldnt there be a lot?

You don't need to worry about that. From now on, please only post in this thread if you need to discuss about the parts of the announcements that effect only you as the forum user. Anything that is staff-side, don't worry about it. Only post if you need to ask about user-side issues.

GotWoot Moderator

littlehippie
Wed, 09-21-2005, 10:03 PM
bummer I got a warning within a couple days of joining. oops.

Dunpar
Sat, 12-03-2005, 11:53 AM
i might be a good idea to place a form wich tells wich people has warings or for a part in the persons profile to show how many warnings that person has... u know a way to keep count.... it might be a little help full and it would give the admin the abilty to just chake one up on the profile......but thats just my thought

Jadugar
Tue, 08-01-2006, 07:28 PM
hmmmmm....

So thats what it looks like. :eek:

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/448/warningcf4.jpg

xDarkMaster
Tue, 08-01-2006, 07:43 PM
Is this system still implemented, or was it for the old forums only?

masamuneehs
Tue, 08-01-2006, 08:43 PM
the new layout of the forums uses a different warning system. It is on a scale from 0-100%, and increments go in 10s. At 100% the user is automatically banned.

However, the system for allocating warnings and instituting bans is not the same as the one used before. In fact, I'll be totally honest, the system is largely up to the mods/admins discretion at this time. At first this may seem chaotic, but I think it's for the best.

For example, new users often just get verbal warnings for first violations, even if they are multiple offenses or incredibly annoying things. But I hold older members at a higher standard, usually marking them up 10% for each offense. In rare occassions a single violation of the rules may be so gross as to warrant a larger warning (or a ban), but that's the way I do it.

I also set the expiration date for the warning level to return to normal at about one month's time, although sometimes I'll roll them back early more often than not.

that's just the way i do it. don't take my words here to make big inferences about the Warning system, because I really only speak for myself.

edit to below: Because you attacked a brand new member, for no real reason, and in the Introduction thread of all places. It was obviously unbridled flaming, and a violation of the rules. Besides, we can't let the most 'reputable' member of Gotwoot set a bad example for everyone else.

Jadugar
Tue, 08-01-2006, 08:55 PM
I did not know calling someone a fag was against GW rules and the person in question or his alleged friend did not even seem so bothered until the savior of all humanity and justice jumped in to save the world from all-evil.

I thought there was difference between sarcasm and flaming. You people need to chill out.

Also why 20%?

complich8
Tue, 08-01-2006, 09:38 PM
I imagine that your nearly 2500 post count and fairly high reputation would indicate that you should have at least some foggy idea where the line is. For a veteran poster to warrant a warning of only 20% means that someone was feeling a little lenient with you.

Newbies can warrant smaller warnings than that, but someone who's been around a while shouldn't need to be reminded of the rules of engagement.

Jadugar
Tue, 08-01-2006, 10:16 PM
Yes Sir.

Understood.

ChaosK
Wed, 08-02-2006, 10:17 PM
With the new system, could a moderator set a warning to never wear off? Masa made a point in saying he let's his wear off in about a month.

mage
Wed, 08-02-2006, 10:59 PM
I've had 13 warnings so far. Who can beat that eh?

ChaosK
Fri, 08-04-2006, 09:45 PM
I've had 13 warnings so far. Who can beat that eh?

13 warnings at 10% a piece would be 130%....:confused:

Edit: Also, I have a warning level of 30% all of a sudden...what happened to the PMs telling you "BITCH YOU GOT WARNED HERE!"?

mage
Sun, 08-06-2006, 01:47 PM
13 warnings at 10% a piece would be 130%....:confused:

Some of them expire before the next one comes in, but I think i've been banned for exceeding the warning limit before.

SK
Sun, 10-08-2006, 10:44 PM
I'm at 0%, not bad!

Assertn
Mon, 10-09-2006, 04:22 AM
SK..........
wtf are you doing here??

SK
Tue, 10-10-2006, 04:26 PM
SK..........
wtf are you doing here??

Posting. Ban me now if my existence is so bothersome to your own.

Stoopider
Tue, 10-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Yay. Is there any presents to be won?

ChaosK
Tue, 10-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Yay. Is there any presents to be won?

...:confused: where did that come from?

masamuneehs
Tue, 10-10-2006, 10:13 PM
try not to stupid-up the Announcement section guys. If you have something to say about the system, do it. Otherwise go mess around somewhere else.

but to answer your question stoopider: Yes, you win a Ban when you get to 100%, or when a staff decides we're all better off taking a break from yourself and the rest of Gotwoot-society

?igma
Fri, 10-13-2006, 04:26 PM
Hello ?igma it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

I read, read and ..read.. if you have problems with this ^^ well, I probably dont have animated emotes for stuff that should be kept under the table :) Ill just hint it..hint..

Super5
Wed, 12-06-2006, 02:05 PM
I imagine that your nearly 2500 post count and fairly high reputation would indicate that you should have at least some foggy idea where the line is. For a veteran poster to warrant a warning of only 20% means that someone was feeling a little lenient with you.

Newbies can warrant smaller warnings than that, but someone who's been around a while shouldn't need to be reminded of the rules of engagement

Ha! You got off easy Jadugar... I got 30% for posting an Akatsuki member's name in a manga-only thread title - and I'm a complete newb!

Animeniax
Fri, 06-01-2007, 12:40 PM
So if you get 100% warns and get banned, what's to prevent you from just creating another userid and causing more trouble? Do they ban IPs or something?

Watch, I'm going to get warned and banned for necro-posting.

Deadfire
Fri, 06-01-2007, 02:36 PM
na, you are right. Your question is valid and needs a answer

100% on the warning bar should ban you for a set amount of time. This amount of time is determined by the staff member that is giving the warning that is pushing your warning level to 100%.

In most cases a temp ban longer then a week is discussed by the staff as a whole, however we trust the judgement of our fellow staff members if less then 3 have time to discuss (Note a admin's judgement is final and can veto any mod judgement in any matter any time)

We do not ban IP's for the simple fact that people if they really wanted to could use other ways of coming back. It's a known fact that IP's can change and different locations have different ones. As well all the IP's you log into the forum with are recorded, so in other words we know if your IP matches a member we have banned. Ban evasion results in immediate banning of the new account and at least a week (most times a month) extension of the ban on the first (already banned and original account)

complich8
Fri, 06-01-2007, 04:27 PM
I think it's a bad idea to have extremely rigid policies, because they encourage people to find the edges of those policies and ride them as close to them as possible. We're all sort of making it up as we go along.

If you're an idiot who keeps coming back over and over again making the same sort of ass out of themselves, and you can't take the hint that warnings and bans should be sending you, AND you come across as enough of an idiot that you couldn't find a proxy, then I have no problems ip-banning you. If you ban-evade but take the hint and behave well, I find myself fairly indifferent these days.