PDA

View Full Version : Chakra vs. Ki? The Eight Gates?

Rhanfahl
Tue, 05-24-2005, 04:31 AM
This is something that has bothered me for a long time, well, since I started watching the show. Early on we find that the "energy" created in the body that governs the life and supernatural abilities called "chakra"

Later we discover about the "Eight Gates of something or other" that Lee opens for Ura Renge.

Being a study of various martial arts, I wonder if Kishimoto fucked up his terms somewhere down the line. From everything I read and studied about martial arts, Qi Gong in particularly. Qi or Ki is the energy or life force that flows through the body. and Chakra are eight centers in the body from which Ki flows and circulate, each chakra being a different color. The heart chakra is red, and the bowels brown, lungs are green I think....well anyways there are eight chakras and eight gates...So....this leads me to believe that he just fucked up terms. What do you think? I personally never heard of things like Life gate, Forest gate, and Insanity Gate in all my years of martial art studies, have any of you?

darkshadow
Tue, 05-24-2005, 05:04 AM
i thought there were 7 chakra points?...

and i dont think he messed up, the gates are actually there for gradual increase of muscle power due to opening the chakra flow
in real life, ppl cant use more than 20/30 % of there total muscle power ( even how much you would strain, you wont go higher) because of limits in the brain, if you go higher you can damage yourself, BUT if you were able to go higher, your strength would increase, drastically..... thats actually the gates for ya there, except for no human can disable the limit, and even if 1 could, you couldnt increase it in 10% each time

and for the whole chakra thing, i just think he didnt want to go for too much reference to dbz, so he altered it abit

Death BOO Z
Tue, 05-24-2005, 04:56 PM
You are welcomed to replace the word chackra with the word energy everytime you see it, I assure you that things will be very clear afterwards.
come on, I don't remember people bitching about DBZ's Ki for being diffrent from what they saw in ninja kid 2... Kishimoto needed a name to the power which fuels the blasting powers of his charecters, so he chose chackra, since it corresponds with body functions and therefore with martial artists (which is what naruto and the gang are, if you hadn't notice it) and it seemed appropiate.

Naruto isn't a story about ninja's history and philosophics, it's a story about kids hitting sense into eachother, don't expect anything more than it, just as you don't expect harry poteer or slayers (it's an anime as well, in case you don't know) to specify abou magic usage. in case you're still not satisfied, go over any fighting manga/anime you know and gather the terms used to describe their power and randomly replace them.
It'll still all make sense, wouldn't it?

anyway, I find it hard to believe that Kishimoto did a research in the subject, or that he even cares.

kAi
Tue, 05-24-2005, 06:05 PM
Chakra is Ki,
the gates limit how much chakra flows through it

So....this leads me to believe that he just fucked up terms. What do you think? I personally never heard of things like Life gate, Forest gate, and Insanity Gate in all my years of martial art studies, have any of you?
It wouldn't really matter, he could've made it up to how he wanted, and you'd still have to believe it for his story.

and there isn't a Forest or Insanity Gate in Naruto.

SK
Tue, 05-24-2005, 07:31 PM
yeah, ive also heard that chakra is the same as ki.

ChaosK
Tue, 05-24-2005, 08:09 PM
heres a question i'm wondering...Does it matter?

Rhanfahl
Tue, 05-24-2005, 10:05 PM
I didn't mean to start a war....just that from my experience, Chakras were always the places in the body, not the energy itself...that's all.

Y
Tue, 05-24-2005, 10:06 PM
Since they're just made up mystical terms in any case, who cares?

Roko
Tue, 05-24-2005, 11:20 PM
Naruto is a show, not reality. They can do whatever the hell they want with whatever's in the show. You can't really compare certain things in a show to real life.

Kovash
Wed, 05-25-2005, 12:08 AM
No no no, you have it all wrong.

Chakras are (originally, near as I can tell) part of Yoga philosophy, 7 centers of spiritual energy and blah blah blah.

In naruto, they use and energy called 'Catara', only low-level Ninja call it Chakra... jeez....

Snow*Man
Wed, 05-25-2005, 01:09 AM
i figure that when they use the term chakra they are talking about the energy they use, the system it flows thru and its control, like when they say "mold chakra" they mean control the flow of energy in the system.

and there are tons of words used for bodily energy including but not limited to ki, chakra, chi, and of coarse simply energy, it depends on the culture and/or discipline of the person talking

Zhan
Wed, 05-25-2005, 05:14 AM
i heard from somewhere ages ago that this woman wanted to help her dying son who was trapped with a car on top of him. Amazingly she was able to lift the car up because she really wanted to save her son. Does this mean we can actually take off limits to our muscles if we are really desperate?

Kovash
Wed, 05-25-2005, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by: ZhanZhao
i heard from somewhere ages ago that this woman wanted to help her dying son who was trapped with a car on top of him. Amazingly she was able to lift the car up because she really wanted to save her son. Does this mean we can actually take off limits to our muscles if we are really desperate?

That's called an adrenaline rush, brought on by a state of high stress.

There are cases like that dotted all over the world, though in no case did someone 'lift' a car, maybe roll it over, but not LIFT it.

Rhanfahl
Wed, 05-25-2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by: Kovash

Chakras are (originally, near as I can tell) part of Yoga philosophy, 7 centers of spiritual energy and blah blah blah.

In naruto, they use and energy called 'Catara', only low-level Ninja call it Chakra... jeez....

Ah, from Yoga huh? I couldn't remember if it was from a Chinese of Indian Philosopy. And its 7 chakras?

darkshadow
Wed, 05-25-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by: Kovash

ok then I wasnt wrong i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif i also said 7

ChaosK
Wed, 05-25-2005, 04:03 PM
this is kinda getting out of hand...

SK
Wed, 05-25-2005, 04:07 PM
this is just dumb.