PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Arcade Game

stos289
Fri, 05-20-2005, 05:13 PM
Well, most of us know that arcade games have gone down the tubes in the past few years and that the "Arcade Era" is pretty much over. So I was wondering, what was your favorite arcade game when arcades used to be great? It can range from super old games like the original Donkey Kong game for the arcade to recent games that have been exclusive for arcades.

My favorite game would have to be PunchMania 2: Hokuto no Ken. This was sort of a "punching game" (if that can be considered a genre) based off the anime Fist of the North Star (Houkto no Ken). The game basically consisted of different levels in which you would have to face off different martial arts masters from the anime with your own style: Houkto Shin ken. The cool part of it though...is that you physically got to hit targets (here (http://www.manjiro.com/catalogpunchmania.html) is the machine on which you played). You would have these plastic gloves and the rubber targets would fold out towards you and light up, directing you to hit it. They would come up in random orders according to which boss you were fighting. The best part of the game is when you are about to finish the guy off, and Kenshiro would go: "You know what this stance means..." and then you start a massive hit combo ( he would go "hyatatatatatatatatata"...so funny) and the targets would come flying out at you constently for like 20 seconds (I think my highest combo was like 90 hits). After you finished the guy off, he would always end with the statement "Houkto Shin ken has no equal." Man...I loved that game. I would work up a sweat playing it too and my hands would be numb after playing it. If anyone has played this game, please give your comments on it too.

Have fun posting.

Death BOO Z
Fri, 05-20-2005, 06:25 PM
wow, that sounds really cool!
i've started watching hokuto no ken lately so I know what you're talking about... the 'watttatatataatatatatatatat!' screaming of kenshiro is only seconed to his 'omoi wa mo shindeiru' (you are already dead) speach...

as for my favorite arcade game? Golden Axe 4 was the greatest, i really wish i'd have it on the computer... also, i was at london in december and i saw a drumming aracde there, it seemed really fun, but i never had the chance to play it, the name was precison master, or something like that.

Psyke
Sat, 05-21-2005, 09:11 AM
Old school arcade?

Definately Super Street Fighter II Turbo and the VS series (X-men Vs SF, Marvel Vs SF, etc).

Swallow Your Soul
Sat, 05-21-2005, 05:22 PM
As a kid I loved Outrun the most. SF2 Championship Edition was a good one before Turbo came out on the SNES, at the time the console alternative was World Warrior so it was a huge novelty to be able to be the bosses at the arcades...

Sensei Jon
Sat, 05-21-2005, 06:26 PM
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, hands down.

Turkish-S
Sat, 05-21-2005, 06:40 PM
i liked games like contra and metal slug.

KameronFrye
Sun, 05-22-2005, 02:43 PM
I was big into the Alien vs Predator, as well as the Punisher arcade game. Rampage probably got the most of my token love from when I went to the arcades, though.

To Young
Sun, 05-22-2005, 06:51 PM
King of Fighters '98

darkshadow
Sun, 05-22-2005, 07:23 PM
house of the dead with the shotgun controller , like...........omg!

kooshi
Sun, 05-22-2005, 07:55 PM
I liked playing Marvel Superheroes vs Street Fighter. It was so funny how there were so many idiots who tried to play against me. They tried to switch partners (they made it so obvious), I block the incoming kick, then just blast them with a supermove. The funniest part was that they kept doing that over and over.
Still, my prefered arcade game is DDR. I always have so much fun playing that, even nowadays.

Uchiha Barles
Mon, 05-23-2005, 12:57 AM
Hell yeah! DDR is definately my favorite arcade game of all times. My second favorite is raiden 2. That's my favorite top view shooter of all times. After that comes Pacman. I play that game all the time even now.

Swallow Your Soul
Mon, 05-23-2005, 10:00 AM
I had totally forgotten about the Raiden games...they were classics.

SK
Mon, 05-23-2005, 12:49 PM
marvel vs. capcom, tekken, soul calibur, and for real old school, galaga.

basey44
Tue, 05-24-2005, 12:15 AM
is everyone forgetting that old nba jam game? that was cool as, and their heads were far too massive for their bodies i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Strider
Sat, 05-28-2005, 08:26 PM
Lots of topics to reply to. Was away for a week. Anyway.

Ahem, favorite arcade game?

NBA Jam was a great game, but I mostly played that on Sega Genesis. (In response to above post)

My favorites, though, were ..

.. that X-Men game. The one where four or six players could simultaneously play. I always chose Colossus due to his Super Power being an AoE (Area of Effect) move. He'd roar and flex, and it was like a massive field of his organic metal (osium) flaring out all around him. For those who haven't played the game .. Imagine Neji's Kaiten, without having to spin.

Also, The Simpsons. I don't know how no one mentioned this earlier. The Simpsons were even bigger shit back then, and being able to play as that deranged family was greatness. Marge with her vacuum, and Bart with his skateboard. I cannot recall what Lisa had .. never played with her. They were able to do family tagteam moves. It was a fun game back at the arcades I used to frequent in the states, when I was younger.

My top tier arcades are easily Marvel v. Capcom (1 & 2), and Pacman, though. Hell, I bought the fucking arcade machine of Marvel v. Capcom (pics coming soon!). Love those two games.

Great thread. Brings back memories. Gotta' love nostalgia.

// Strider. Out.

User can't stop with the taglines even when he was told to stop. User has been warned.

GotWoot Moderator

Sensei Jon
Sat, 05-28-2005, 11:45 PM
Lisa had a jump rope, but I can't remember what Homer had. I thought of this game when I made my post, but TMNT won out on my favorite list.

Sun, 05-29-2005, 01:17 AM
there is only 1 superior game

Street Fighter 3: Third Strike

kooshi
Mon, 05-30-2005, 01:33 AM
SF3: Third Strike? I never saw that in the arcades. I only managed to play it for the PS2.

stos289
Mon, 05-30-2005, 09:42 AM
Sensei Jon, Homer used his fist in the Simpsons game. I remember that he used his fist, Lisa used her jumprope, Marge used her vacuum (definitly the best weapon) and Bart used his skateboard. The games that you mentioned were also really good games but I was kind of going for your overall pick from arcade games. It doesn't matter though, you guys can mention as many as you want.

Mite Gai
Mon, 05-30-2005, 10:59 AM
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the one where they travel through time, can't remember exact name though). So many wasted quarters.

ChaosK
Tue, 05-31-2005, 10:04 PM
haha the simpsons or the TMNT where they go everywher eand it only costs a quater unless u suck and lose all 5 lives!

and marvel heros vs. street fighter or
marvel vs street fighter (the first 1 was the best)

GhostKaGe
Sun, 06-05-2005, 08:00 AM
Gaunlet let the 4 player mayhem begin

and Double Dragon

more recently id have to say Silent Scope 2 http://www.usn.co.jp/gun/silent_scope_2_us.jpg

Jman
Sun, 06-05-2005, 08:21 PM
tmnt, simpsons, metal slug series, street fighter 2, last blade 1 and 2, final fight, marvel vs capcom, and my fav. sengoku3

Hakeem_21
Sun, 06-05-2005, 08:30 PM
I played Virtua Tennis most of the arcade games and like it most.

Assassin
Tue, 06-21-2005, 12:50 AM
tetris...or that bubble game, where u have to get 3 or more of the same colored balls conencted

Uchiha Barles
Tue, 06-21-2005, 12:54 AM
Are you talking about bust-a-move? definately that game is one of my forgotten favorites.

ES
Tue, 06-21-2005, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by: Assassin
tetris...or that bubble game, where u have to get 3 or more of the same colored balls conencted

I believe he is reffering to the puzzle bubble games

basey44
Tue, 06-21-2005, 07:26 AM
ugh i hate puzzle bobble

u know what was way better, bubble bobble, man that was the shit

Death BOO Z
Thu, 06-23-2005, 05:02 PM
i just found my old romz cd yesterday, so many classics that i've forgottern about...
it'll be quite a while until i go over all of them, but still, there's one game that everyone must play...
Knights of the round.
in case you don't know, it's vagualy based on king Arthur's story, in other words, you can play as either Arthur, Lancealot or Percivel while you hack your way through 8 levels of fun.

the most important factor in the game is that you can gain new armor with points, so when you play it with someone, the game turns into a competition between you two who will get more money and hit the last strike on enemies for points, quite fun. plus, you can mount horses for more 'firepower', and again, when there are two players, it's a race.

other than that one, i found final fight (it's really long to finish) and cadiliaks & dinasours, which is about people driving cadiliaks and beating up dinosouars.

Masamune
Thu, 06-23-2005, 08:56 PM
best arcade game?

time crisis....duh

kooshi
Thu, 06-30-2005, 02:06 PM
For shooter arcade games, I'd go with either Time Crisis (although I haven't played the first one) or Silent Scope 3 (the other two were just........ not fun, I dunno why).

Tinks
Tue, 07-19-2005, 12:26 AM
Galaga, someone else said it also, but its amazing... Centipede as well
I bought the Atari and Namco game packs on Xbox just for those two games
The original WWF Royal Rumble was pretty good as well as Mortal Kombat

Mut
Tue, 07-19-2005, 12:30 AM
Tekken 3 or Area 51.

Tinks
Tue, 07-19-2005, 12:36 AM
Virtua On was awesome as well for more recent

nests
Tue, 07-19-2005, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by: To Young
King of Fighters '98

HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!
But after 2003 came out it become my favorite

Enderz
Wed, 07-27-2005, 05:42 AM
Street fighter 2 and tekken 3 here

chambers
Thu, 07-28-2005, 09:28 AM
i was a huge capcom fan so dinosaurs and cadilacs ate up more 20p's than id care to remeber. KOF 98 also stole a lot of time from me. KYO FTW

Lacus
Thu, 07-28-2005, 02:26 PM
House of The Dead, haha. I used to play that game for hours.

Mae
Tue, 08-02-2005, 10:02 PM
The Streetfighter series remains my all-time favorite, but recently I visited an arcade (hadn't been in a long) and damn they had some neat stuff. Lots of really big games with all this complex equipment, bikes, command center, etc. My favorite was one where you got into this little room and had a model sword, and when you swung the sword your character (a samurai) made the same movements. I sucked at it, and probably looked like an idiot, but it was a lot of fun :) I'll have to go again some time.

Terracosmo
Tue, 08-02-2005, 10:10 PM
Ooo the arcades! Man, so many memories.

I wasted a lot of money on Metal Slug, King of Fighters and Tekken back in the day. Great games all of them, with Metal Slug being the perfect quarter wasting shoot 'em up. THE NEO GEO RULES ALL!!!!!!!! In more recent times, however, I spend a lot of time in front of Time Crisis and it's ilk (gotta love those blaster games).

Hikyuu
Wed, 08-03-2005, 07:06 AM
Hmmm I remember when Are 51 2 was out in the movie theater and there was something wrong with it.. so we played for free i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif..oooh.. and on the boardwalk the ninja turtles arcade game..e you start on the leverl with the fireand the big metal balls roll out as you fight the foot i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif.. and of course at like all the old Bday parties as a kid.. that xman game.. we used to waste all our tokens (well I did, since I suck at games) trying to beat that game.

Ignited
Mon, 08-08-2005, 02:50 PM
I love playing Street Fighter/King of Fighters games. >_> er.. I mostly play Capcom vs SNK 2 now.

Munsu
Thu, 08-18-2005, 12:09 PM
Humm old school Arcade games....

Here are some:

Arch Rivals... Basketball game, probably what led up to NBA Jams and shit... you could punch and shit the opposing players... a 2 on 2 game...

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Arch-Rivals

Street Fighter, the original 1987 one... you know the one that looked like this:

http://www.nationmaster.com/en...age:Street-Fighter.png (http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Image:Street-Fighter.png)

Teenage Mutant Turtles of course

Die Hard was also pretty good

Bad Dudes was also awesome
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Bad-Dudes

Battletoads
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Battletoads

Captain America and the Avengers
http://www.nationmaster.com/en...erica-and-the-Avengers (http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Captain-America-and-the-Avengers)

WWF Wrestlemania, the original one of course with Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, etc...

I'm gonna stop now because there are quite a few that I used to play alot... Fucking Arcade places took away all my lunch money...

ChaosK
Thu, 08-18-2005, 02:44 PM
oh yes, the old teenage mutant ninja turtles where you could play with 3 other people all moving in 1 direction to fight some big boss (that was greaT) they've made a simpson one now but its not as great.

marvel vs. capcom (ONE ONE ONE NOT TWO ONE) was great, escpecially with all the secret characters put into it. (when i was too young to learn all the moves i'd just use megaman in easy mode and shoot his buster every second "aie! aie! aie")

eat_toast
Mon, 08-29-2005, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by: The Next Hokage
Gaunlet let the 4 player mayhem begin

YESSS! i once played that for about 6 hours with about ten other kids. awesome game.

also, there was a motorcycle game that took all mine and my friends money. but it was awesome. you had handlebars and had to jump or duck under things to get all the way to a boat. oh, and you were being chased by the cops.

ChiaCheese
Tue, 08-30-2005, 06:01 AM
metal slug, double dragon, spy hunter, and that really old star wars arcade game. i say those because i'm old and the only thing i play in the arcades now is ski ball. the new arcade games just don't appeal to me like the old ones.