PDA

View Full Version : Game: Metal Gear Solid 4

Psyke
Thu, 05-19-2005, 07:32 AM
Only a teaser poster,but man I'm already excited with how the PS3's gonna make this game look amazing and how many more innovative features can Kojima Hideo come up with. The ideas that come out of the MGS series are of genius' work, and hopefully more information can be released soon.

I'm one of those people who STILL feel that the MGS series should not have a free camera like Splinter Cell. The reason why MGS is so popular is because most of the time the developers have already fine tuned the camera to where it's needed the most. This wasn't a problem in MSG 2 but many faced several critcal camera issues in MGS3, due to the loss of the radar. I strongly feel that the next game should still have a fixed camera system or at least a default camera setting for people who do not wish to keep scanning around looking for stuff.

So many possiblities for the next game I don't really know where to start. Just hope that David Hayter's still around....

http://img198.echo.cx/img198/7606/mgs49xi.jpg

LobsterMagnet
Thu, 05-19-2005, 09:11 AM
I'm looking forward to the next MGS game, finally got my hands of the third and right now I'm working my way through the third and am about half-way. I'm a big MGS fan but honestly I was kinda hoping that Kojima would give it a rest and work a new franchise. As much as I love MGS I do think it could use a break and Kojima should probably go on to work on a completely new game.

NM
Thu, 05-19-2005, 01:42 PM
I can't wait for MGS4 to come out...the story is so golden in this series. Some of the characters depicted in the teaser poster Psyke posted seem a little familiar.

My guesses (from left to right):
1. Seems to look like Vamp...
2. I think that looks like Meryl
3. No idea
4. Ocelot
5. Snake
6. Otacon
7 & 8: No idea at all. But #7 has the patch on his eye...

Damn, I'm so excited for MGS4. I can't wait to see more info on this.

complich8
Thu, 05-19-2005, 02:03 PM
psst .....

Kojima is CRAZY!

(No, really! But that's just stating the obvious).

I think free camera is a good thing. I've played MGS3 and had repeated issues (deaths) because of the lack of free-look in some areas. Sometimes you just can't tell when a guy is out there, despite the fact that you should be able to see him ... and have to go into aiming-view to see him.

But really, it doesn't matter too much. With kojima, you know it'll be both awesome and hilariously absurd, all in one.

Knives122
Thu, 05-19-2005, 02:07 PM
well 4 and 5 are definately Ocelot(or Liquid, doesnt really matter) and Snake.

3. for some odd reason(to me) looks like Raiden.....but who would want him in a game again haha...yeah(its the sword that makes me think that)

6 may be Otacon and it probably is seeing how he hasnt been brutally killed yet.

I'll figue out who the hell the other people are later

and Kojima is Krazy(with a K b/c of that video trailer)

Y
Thu, 05-19-2005, 02:09 PM
From left to right:

Vamp, Meryl (apparently), Raiden holding a baby (probably Rose's?), Ocelot, Snake, Otacon, Big Boss (!), and an unknown female character (could be anyone).

EDIT:

MGS4 teaser (http://www.konami.jp/gs/kojima_pro/english/004.html), done using the MGS3 engine.

NM
Thu, 05-19-2005, 02:52 PM
Wow, I didn't even see that baby in there! My guess is that its Raiden holding Olga's baby, seeing as how if Raiden's life signs fail, then the baby dies as well.

The trailer was kind of funny. Heh, I like the little Splinter Cell spoof they put in there.

Knives122
Thu, 05-19-2005, 03:04 PM
I thought the baby was like a sling or something, I completely missed the head. and I thought Raiden was Olga's child (from that whole little speech Snake gave to Raiden at the end)(or was he the Boss'). hmmm guess I need to find a synopsis of the game(in full detail) to make sure.

I see how its vamp now to(via bullet-hole in the head); man doesnt he know how to die

and I can see how it could be BB, but I'm not betting on it(althought it would be nice)

Y
Thu, 05-19-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by: Knives122
and I can see how it could be BB, but I not betting on it(althought it would be nice)

There is no other character in the series that looks like that. At first I thought it was Solidus, but the eyepatch is on the wrong side.

darkshadow
Sat, 05-21-2005, 08:11 PM
hmm y would raiden hold a katana? maybe he hooked op with olga ( who is ninja/mr. x)

edit: ok that sounded stupid, i forgot about that other girl, that rose......... then maybe nr.3 is OLGA i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif

Nai
Sun, 05-22-2005, 02:12 AM
I really hope the chick next to Vamp is not Meryl.. if it is, what the heck has made her into that amazonian abomination?

And yeah, I can't wait for MGS4 either, it's bound to be just as epic as the previous titles.. and with the PS3's hardware... *drools*

LobsterMagnet
Mon, 05-23-2005, 11:04 PM
As much as I love Metal Gear Solid and the work of Hideo Kojima I really don't want him to make this game. I think it's time for the metal gear franchise to take a bit of a break. Hideo Kojima needs to work on new projects and create new intellectual properties. He needs to work on something else besides that gameboy game where you have to use sunlight to play. Besides it's hard to miss something and get excited about it's return when it's never gone. Let poor poor solid snake get some well deserved rest.

Zhan
Fri, 09-16-2005, 03:31 AM
http://the-magicbox.com/0509/game050915a.shtml

LOL SNAKE IS AN OLD MAN

Terracosmo
Fri, 09-16-2005, 08:18 AM
Snake is old and still lovin' his spandex i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

@Lobster: "As much as I love Metal Gear Solid and the work of Hideo Kojima I really don't want him to make this game. I think it's time for the metal gear franchise to take a bit of a break. Hideo Kojima needs to work on new projects and create new intellectual properties. He needs to work on something else besides that gameboy game where you have to use sunlight to play. Besides it's hard to miss something and get excited about it's return when it's never gone. Let poor poor solid snake get some well deserved rest."

Okay, then go ahead and ignore the game while the rest of us enjoy the new installment.
How can you love MGS and yet be so negative towards it? Each part of the series has been astonishing and has come up with great new elements in both the gameplay & story departments. As long as that continues, I can't imagine how a supposed fan wants it to stop.

Uberbaka
Fri, 09-16-2005, 09:39 AM
It has been said that raiden will make a return.. Gotta love all those rumors.

Check out gamespot for more info/screenshots of ingame mgs4

Trailer will be online soon

Y
Fri, 09-16-2005, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by: Uberbaka

It's online already.

Or did you mean the full 9 minute version?

Uberbaka
Fri, 09-16-2005, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by: Y

Originally posted by: Uberbaka

It's online already.

Or did you mean the full 9 minute version?

I meant the one that's going to appear here soon http://www.konami.jp/gs/kojima.../japanese/mgs4_04.html (http://www.konami.jp/gs/kojima_pro/japanese/mgs4_04.html) =]

Knives122
Fri, 09-16-2005, 03:27 PM
well this is going to be a very interesting game

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/651/651322/metal-gear-solid-4-20050915072823418.jpg

Paulyboy
Sat, 09-17-2005, 02:29 PM
Ahaahah, that dosen't even look like snake, damn you Big Boss!

Terracosmo
Sat, 09-17-2005, 10:43 PM
I wonder if Ocelot has died from old age now i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Uberbaka
Sat, 09-17-2005, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by: Terracosmo
I wonder if Ocelot has died from old age now

Knowing Hideo he's probably been implanted in a metal gear body or something... Besides, his arm and stuff is kinda vital...

Zhan
Sat, 09-17-2005, 11:19 PM
Ocelot can only die one way and that is when Snake finally owns his ass

masamuneehs
Sun, 09-18-2005, 04:41 PM
Raiden is back.. Dunno if I like that aspect... Snakes is old and feeling his age, I DO like that!

But i'm certainly going to be all over this thing like fleas on a dog the moment it comes out.

Uberbaka
Sun, 09-18-2005, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by: masamuneehs
Raiden is back.. Dunno if I like that aspect... Snakes is old and feeling his age, I DO like that!

But i'm certainly going to be all over this thing like fleas on a dog the moment it comes out.

Gotten some kind of confirmation on that or is it just the rumour?

masamuneehs
Sun, 09-18-2005, 04:56 PM
Tis the truth!

Kojima Interview with Famitsu
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/ad...lid4/news_6133188.html (http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventure/metalgearsolid4/news_6133188.html)

Also, nice Preview, also from Gamespot
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/ad...4/preview_6133382.html (http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventure/metalgearsolid4/preview_6133382.html)

Naroku
Tue, 09-20-2005, 07:33 PM
eh, im not crazy about Raiden, actually i kind of hate him, but as long as i dont have to play as him it will be fine

Uberbaka
Tue, 09-20-2005, 10:10 PM
The video is out! Check my earlier post for link.

XanBcoo
Wed, 09-21-2005, 02:02 AM
Sounds like a spy movie...

But seriously, can't wait for this.

ChiaCheese
Wed, 09-21-2005, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by: Knives122
well this is going to be a very interesting game

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/651/651322/metal-gear-solid-4-20050915072823418.jpg

looks like the latest cast member of reno 911.

Uberbaka
Wed, 09-21-2005, 06:13 AM
Well.. we know where snake got the inspiration for his facial hair though:

http://www.spawntoys.com/Metalgear/mgs2_revolver_ocelot.jpg

Unless this actually is Ocelot in a sneaking suit... O.o
He's using injections to stop old age! *mwhahhaha*
Speculation heaven!

Psyke
Wed, 09-21-2005, 10:32 AM
I still think this old "Snake" might be Big Boss himself.

GhostKaGe
Wed, 09-21-2005, 10:39 AM
Apparently snakes gonna be suffering from Alzheimers in MGS4 i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif

Uberbaka
Wed, 09-21-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by: Psyke

Interesting speculation.. you mean he's been revived?

I mean the genome army demanded big bosses body in mgs...

Nai
Wed, 09-21-2005, 03:21 PM
One problem with that theory. Wrong eye.

http://www.nextgenzone.de/metalgear/images/game/mgs/characters/char_big_boss.jpg

Uberbaka
Wed, 09-21-2005, 07:28 PM
Also the eyepatch works as a built in scope which indicates that the eye underneath functions.. So I don't think the eyepatch indicates that it's either big boss or solidus.

Hakeem_21
Thu, 09-22-2005, 06:30 PM
Itsn Solid Snake its pretty clear since his partner is Octacon is usuall.

I love the old Solid Snake cause he just gets cooler with age. I just hope Snake dont die in this game,if he is gonna leave the series hope he retires rather than dieying in action.

Ocelot must be in this game cuz in every MGS game i have wanted to kill the sneaky bastard,he cant escape his destiny,which is to be wasted by Snake i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Mite Gai
Thu, 09-22-2005, 08:59 PM
If Ocelot dies then Snake dies, its just that simple, to be honest I would like to have Snake die in this one since he has now been aged to that of an old man. If we go any further than that then Snake's going to be in a Professor X-esque wheelchair and it would not seem right to have Snake ordering commands from an HQ either. Kojima needs to pass it on to a new hero (no, not Raiden, use him as a sidekick or something).

P.S. But yes, this game looks like its going to kick some serious ass.

Hakeem_21
Fri, 09-23-2005, 04:58 AM
Nah i dont think Snake will die cuz if anyone deservs a happy ending its him.

I would like it more if he just walked out of the series after the mission in this game.

What would suck so much is that if Raiden takes over after Snake as the hero,MGS2 was all the Raiden i can handle...

Uberbaka
Fri, 09-23-2005, 05:53 AM
Well.. Time has passed, maybe Raiden has grown up... *fingerscrossed*

Hakeem_21
Fri, 09-23-2005, 06:48 PM
Hehe even he grows up he can never become like Solid Snake.

Maybe Kojima will come up with a new character is cool like Solid Snake. Hope David Hayter does his voice too.

RedX1z
Sun, 09-25-2005, 11:00 PM
i really hope they don't do what they did in mgs2, play little as snake, then change to a completely different character..

Kensee
Sun, 10-02-2005, 08:43 PM
This is the final Metal gear solid ...
Thats it ... btw the eyepatch on Snake (Yes that is SOLID SNAKE) is not an eyepatch covering his eye but a scope to anaylize and scan stuff.

Solidus is dead, Vamp is alive, Meryl ? da hell dunno where shes been =). I belive BB has been reanimated (just like Gray Fox was) by tests and sutff and hes back.
How will it end?
Patriots will fall! The patriots will fall!
Metal Gear Omega (haha I don't know) will be driven by the animated version of BB. Snake destorys it but is wounded, as he escapes he is challended by ocolot/liquid snake in a final duel where Snake previals. Before he dies, Ocolet uses what little energy he has to take down the mainframe of the patritos or something ...

Refrences spoilers ahead!

In the end snake dies (I'm figuring hes gonna die ...) by foxdie that naomi who is also in this game ( look at the spoiler character thing ) just cause every great anime/game has someone cool who dies for example (here comes the spoilers I was mentioning ) Spike from Cowboy Bebop, Huges from FMA, Wolfwood from Trigun .. etc.

Anyhow somewhat predictions .. who knows how will it end?
Wait and find out!

Hakeem_21
Mon, 10-03-2005, 02:23 PM
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=61121

Yeah Ocelot is back so we can finaly kill him i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Also if you dont wanna read the hole article.

Kojima says it hasnt been a decade since MGS2 and Snake is very old cause of the clone disese.

Also that Snake will become allias for with diffrent countries.

Aramis
Tue, 10-11-2005, 04:12 PM
no way, the implants keep 'em going...
[/topic necromancy]

No seriously, I think there's been enough MGS too, but then again, now that Kojima's gone this far making them there has to be a game with a real ending to the saga. MGS4, will most likely be about the end of them "true warriors".

SamuraiX-
Sat, 12-31-2005, 09:04 PM
Well, now that Kojima is releasing MGS4, I'm almost positive he will continue with MGS5 and MGS6, and hopefully end it there. The reason I predict this is basically because, well, just think about it, after a 4th title for gaming series has been released, has it ever stopped on 4 or 5? I know some games stop on the 2nd title, but those are usually mediocore series, and only the decent and great ones continue to a 3rd, and final title to make the series into an official trilogy.

I really don't believe Kojima will end this with MGS4, it just won't happen. If any of you know any gaming series that has ended with a 4th or 5th title, or even a 7th or 8th, could you please post it? I can't think of any at the moment. ^_^;;

Psyke
Sun, 01-01-2006, 01:08 AM
Kojima stated in a previous interview that this will be the final Metal Gear game in which he will be in the driving seat. So, it doesn't mean that it's the last Metal Gear game. Most likely there will be future Metal Gear games but with other directors and most probably with him as an advisor.

SamuraiX-
Sun, 01-01-2006, 01:57 AM
Kojima stated in a previous interview that this will be the final Metal Gear game in which he will be in the driving seat. So, it doesn't mean that it's the last Metal Gear game. Most likely there will be future Metal Gear games but with other directors and most probably with him as an advisor.

Yeah yeah, I heard about all that, he said the same thing with MGS3. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Anyways, I'm not talking about Metal Gear games in general, I'm referring mainly to the Metal Gear Solid series. Of course Metal Gear will never end, but the Solid series will not end with the 4th title, I guarantee you. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Shuurai
Sun, 01-01-2006, 02:02 AM
I cant wait untill march and MGS3 Subsistence comes out in europe. Metal Gear Online (Valley of the gods).

SamuraiX-
Sun, 01-01-2006, 02:17 AM
Haha, Oh Yeah!! Comes out in March here in the U.S. as well. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

I already pre-ordered it, this one's worth every penny, unlike Substance, which had barely noticeable extras compared to Subsistence. ^_^

Shuurai
Sun, 01-01-2006, 02:34 AM
In case nobody has seen the online videos Here (http://www.1up.com/do/download?cId=3140399) is a link.

Also that is a sweet sig ^_^

SamuraiX-
Sun, 01-01-2006, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by: Shuurai
In case nobody has seen the online videos Here (http://www.1up.com/do/download?cId=3140399) is a link.

Also that is a sweet sig ^_^

1UP is down, but what online videos? If you mean the trailers, I saw them already. Two great websites where you can see them are here -

GameSpot (http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/metalgearsolid3/media.html?mode=gameplay)

GameTrailers (http://gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1848)

I think you need to be registered to GameSpot to have access to some of the Gameplay Videos, but I'm not sure, since I've been a member for a couple of years. As for GameTrailers, everything is free, and I don't think the quality isn't degraded at all.

And thank you for complimenting my sig, I owe it all to Phoenix, the God of Anime Banners. ^_^

Shuurai
Sun, 01-01-2006, 04:15 AM
Not the trailer's i mean online gameplay videos with members of 1up playing. When the site's back up check em out.

SamuraiX-
Sun, 01-01-2006, 04:18 AM
Members of 1UP playing?! GAH! I don't wanna see that! People who play the game just for an interview usually just suck at it, but I'll check 'em out anyway, just for you. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Hakeem_21
Sun, 01-01-2006, 12:01 PM
Heh i thought the MGS online game was just a rumor hope it comes to europe soon. Is it on PC?

Psyke
Sun, 01-01-2006, 12:38 PM
It's just an additional mode found in Subsistence, and not a whole game by itself.

NM
Sun, 01-01-2006, 01:43 PM
You guys have to check this out! Metal Gear Solid movies (http://www.newzealandstory.com/mgs/). Basically, the guy on this site edited out the gameplay from the games and took all the movie sequences and combined them together. For the first MGS, he used the Twin Snakes so for those of you who never got to play it (myself included), most of the scenes from the original have been modified and are much more badass. Seriously, Gray Fox was amazing in Twin Snakes...but anyway. Its 6.93 GB for the whole thing but its worth it. Theres also a PSP version for you PSP owners out there.

Also, he doesn't show himself fighting the bosses or sneaking around, its only the movies (so they may not transition well but its pretty obvious how the fights go if you've played all 3). These movies just make me more excited for Subsistence to come out, since Kojima is including an entire MGS3 movie (again, not real actors, the movies in the game).

SamuraiX-
Sun, 01-01-2006, 02:05 PM
I'll check those out sometime, and I'm bookmarking them too, since EVERYONE is always asking for videos of the cut-scenes on the GameSpot boards, so thanks for this. ^_^

Miro69
Tue, 01-03-2006, 08:23 PM
the game series has to end at 4 (not that i particularly want it to) but considering that snake has already aged so much, he doesnt have much more left in him. i'm really interested however to see how kojima plans to do with the series.

*is an insane fan of the mgs series*

Terracosmo
Wed, 01-11-2006, 11:05 AM
For the sake of reviving this topic, I'd like to - just once - hear an actual ARGUMENT for hating Raiden. I am well aware that everybody hates his guts, but I can't figure out why, and I find him to be an excellent contrast to Snake/Big Boss who both seem to know everything already. And no, "he's gay" is not valid. Come on, shoot.

el_boss
Wed, 01-11-2006, 11:29 AM
I don't get the Raiden hating either. Though I guess the main reason is that you didn't get to play as Snake more or something like that.

NM
Wed, 01-11-2006, 12:07 PM
While I'm more of a Snake lover myself, I don't particularly hate Raiden. I suppose people have taken a disliking to him because he just didn't have that coolness factor like Snake. People probably hated his conversations with Rose to, since they were so long and...lovey dovey I guess. Its hard for me to say why since I don't hate Raiden but at the same time, I'm not his biggest fan. Though what I did like about playing as Raiden was all the stories he heard about the Patriots. My particular favorite was the one Emma told him, and of course the conversation between the messed up Colonel Campbell and Rose. Man...that last one still gives me goosebumps. The Plant chapter you could say definetly set the stage for the final MGS.

SamuraiX-
Thu, 01-12-2006, 05:57 PM
For the sake of reviving this topic, I'd like to - just once - hear an actual ARGUMENT for hating Raiden. I am well aware that everybody hates his guts, but I can't figure out why, and I find him to be an excellent contrast to Snake/Big Boss who both seem to know everything already. And no, "he's gay" is not valid. Come on, shoot.

My god Terra. You have NOoooooo idea. If you've ever been to the GameSpot or GameFAQs boards, you hear about Raiden hating going on AAALLLLL the time. It's always just people saying, "He's Gay", "Raiden Can Never RePlaCe SnaakE!", "Raiden is just a little girl, what was Kojima thinking?!", "Raiden doesn't have a wang! He can't match up to Snake!". And it just goes on and on and on...... and on.

Then later, some Raiden supporters or neutral players come in and just totally own the Raiden haters. I don't feel like typing up all the Raiden info, so just check this link out, it'll have everything you ever need to know about him. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Raiden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metal_Gear_Solid_2_characters#Raiden)

What really pisses me off, is that Raiden is just as skilled as Snake is, and he will have to take Snake's place sooner or later. I'm willing to bet anything that no one would hate Raiden if he didn't appear more "feminine", younger, or unexperienced than Snake. Who knows though, maybe Kojima wanted to introduce him like this in MGS2, just to have the chance to turn him into a total badass in MGS4. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Terracosmo
Thu, 01-12-2006, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the link, but I know just about everything about him already (I am a fan after all i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif), I was mostly just wondering why everybody hates him - despite him being "gay" and effeminate and everything. I suppose that's really all there is to it. Man, people sure are lame and unable to embrace change and difference... no big surprise though ;D

RedX1z
Thu, 01-12-2006, 09:46 PM
okay, i'll put it like this..raiden isn't bad, but you'd rather play with snake then raiden, least that's what i think. snake is cool, raiden is cool, too, but snake is just cooler than raiden. plus, i don't think raiden is annoying, i think his girlfriend is, though. oh, one more thing, raiden can use a sword and snake can't. score 1 for raiden!i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Terracosmo
Thu, 01-12-2006, 09:56 PM
Yeah I just love how all of the Raiden art and merchandise has that katana. It became his "thing".

And who can resist bishies with katanas?

Knives122
Thu, 01-12-2006, 10:00 PM
Me...

SamuraiX-
Fri, 01-13-2006, 08:12 AM
Being able to use that HF Blade at the end of the game was just my absolutely favorite thing about playing as Raiden. ^_^ Then I was pissed to find that Kojima COMPLETELY forgot to put it in the game as an unlockable, so you have it from the beginning... man... that would be just too awesome, anyone else agree? Like he made it that you could do special stealth kills with it too, like in Tenchu. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Also, I liked playing as Raiden my first time through MGS2, considered that I had never beaten MGS1 before, I think I only got to the Ocelot Boss Fight at my friend's house. Then after I beat MGS2, I did everything in my power to find a copy of MGS1, I just had to play it! i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

RedX1z
Fri, 01-13-2006, 03:27 PM
if he did make it an unlockable, i'd promise myself that in the whole game i wouldn't use a gun, just the katana, except for the part where you have to snipe vamp and use the launcher for the chopper to take down solidus..

Terracosmo
Tue, 01-17-2006, 05:41 PM
Maybe you guys already knew this, but apparently the girl on the right in the teaser poster has been confirmed to be none other than... Naomi Hunter! Dun dun dun!

RedX1z
Tue, 01-17-2006, 05:59 PM
i'm actually hearing that for the first time, so the traitor from metal gear solid 1 is back.

Terracosmo
Tue, 01-17-2006, 06:06 PM
I think she's there because the whole Foxdie issue is still around.

RedX1z
Tue, 01-17-2006, 06:14 PM
or came back to get snake? who knows? i dunno, maybe her role will actually serve some purpose in 4..

Terracosmo
Tue, 01-17-2006, 06:42 PM
If I remember correctly, didn't they sort of get along towards the end of MGS1 when she learned the truth of Snake's older actions?
I don't think she's out to get him any longer, though. But yeah, your guess is as good as mine i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Hakeem_21
Tue, 01-17-2006, 07:25 PM
I knew it was her when i saw the picture cause it looked so much like her.

There is one thing good with Raiden,its that he made Snake look uber cool. He did things that Raiden cant even dream about. The first time you see him in the elevator,taking down so many guards like it was nothing,that was cool.

RedX1z
Tue, 01-17-2006, 08:37 PM
If I remember correctly, didn't they sort of get along towards the end of MGS1 when she learned the truth of Snake's older actions?
I don't think she's out to get him any longer, though. But yeah, your guess is as good as mine

yeah, but judging by her character, she seems like the mysterious women who'll stab you in the back in bed, regardless of forgiveness and that other bullcrap..

Terracosmo
Tue, 01-17-2006, 08:41 PM
True. Well, didn't really care much for her anyway. Gray Fox on the other hand, now he was badass... i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

RedX1z
Tue, 01-17-2006, 08:53 PM
yeah, he will always be remembered. his sacrifice to save another will always be remembered, plus, even though, most of you may or may not like her at all, but sniper wolf will also be remembered.i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

SamuraiX-
Wed, 01-18-2006, 12:29 AM
Did you guys know that, actually all the characters' identities in the poster have been confirmed by Kojima? Here they are from left to right:

Vamp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metal_Gear_Solid_2_characters#Vamp)
Meryl Silverburgh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meryl_Silverburgh#Metal_Gear_version)
Raiden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metal_Gear_Solid_2_characters#Raiden)
Revolver Ocelot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolver_Ocelot#Revolver_Ocelot)
Solid Snake (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_Snake)
Otacon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hal_Emmerich#Otacon)
Big Boss (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Boss)
Naomi Hunter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metal_Gear_Solid_characters#Naomi_Hunter)

And there you have it, the first eight, confirmed characters that will appear in Metal Gear Solid 4. ^_^

Hakeem_21
Wed, 01-18-2006, 07:59 AM
Wow i suspected Big Boss but i never thought they would confirm him.

Psyke
Wed, 01-18-2006, 08:40 AM
I wonder how old he's gonna be..... Might turn out as a twist if he looks not a day older since Snake Eater.

Hakeem_21
Wed, 01-18-2006, 08:45 AM
That cant be cause we have seen him as an old man in the MG games where Snaked killed him.

He must an old man by now,younger than he should be but still and old man as you see in the pic.

Psyke
Wed, 01-18-2006, 08:47 AM
You can never tell. Might turn out there was a 4th clone alongside Solid, Liquid, and Solidus. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Kensee
Wed, 01-18-2006, 08:51 AM
After playing Snake Eater and going thorugh THE END on the harder difficulties (that old bastard >&lti/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif ... I couldnt bring myself to fight /kill big boss.

And for Naomi .. i mean .. she ONLY injected a biological agent into me that will potentially slaughter specific poeple and bring about my own death one day .. no hard feelings.

Hakeem_21
Wed, 01-18-2006, 09:02 AM
Yeah killing the Boss was sad,it wasnt really her fault that she turned to the other side. It was good to see the ending cause you saw why Big Boss became a bad guy later.

Hopefully in this game we will learn more about him.

Psyke:

There arent a fourth clone in MSG4 cause they have already confirmed that is Big Boss.

bagandscalpel
Wed, 01-18-2006, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by: Hakeem_21
There arent a fourth clone in MSG4 cause they have already confirmed that is Big Boss.

Why can't there be? There MUST be a Gaseous Snake somewhere out there! Either that, or Solidus IS Gaseous, but thought to improve his image by renaming himself!

*Ahem*

Does Big Boss look just a little bit worn down? Of course he'd be older than anyone else on that poster, but if Solid Snake can sustain his physique in old age, why can't BB?

Terracosmo
Wed, 01-18-2006, 03:09 PM
I don't see Big Boss as a villain. I see him as an anti-hero. All his motives and actions have been to promote the worth that he felt that soldiers deserved, and he is also seen as a savior and father figure to several MGS characters. It's just like The Boss says in the end of MGS3, who the badguy is depends on the world's current situation and what needs to be done.

Which is also perhaps the best part of Metal Gear's overall plot, in my opinion.

I also want to add that I've beaten MGS3 many times and tears still fall during the ending, especially when Big Boss does the salute in front of Boss' gravestone. i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Hakeem_21
Wed, 01-18-2006, 03:59 PM
I dont see him as villain either i mean the ones that made Snake go after him and kill him was the Patriots and they are Snake's enemy now.

Maybe he will help Snake in MGS4 against his old enemies.

Yeah the ending video and when he is at her grave is very sad.

Terracosmo
Wed, 01-18-2006, 04:05 PM
Big Boss might just be my favorite MGS character, just because the character is so extremely fleshed out and intriguating as a whole.
I mean, chronologically, he was the first "hero" of the franchise. And since he still lingers in the form of his clones and genetical legacy, he remains the perhaps most important Metal Gear character.

Hakeem_21
Wed, 01-18-2006, 04:16 PM
Thats fricking Blashphamy i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Solid Snake is the most important,the only one not to give in and become a bad guy just to fight against the patriots. BB and the other clones were pussies.

Solid Snake is one man army i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Solid Snake is the best gaming character if you ask me.

He is Clint Eastwood in MGS world i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Terracosmo
Wed, 01-18-2006, 04:21 PM
Sure, but without Big Boss, Solid wouldn't exist. Essentially one can even say that it's BB's story. MG1 & MG2 had BB as the main villain, MGS1 was about his remains and MGS3 was all about him etc. That's what I mean i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Hakeem_21
Wed, 01-18-2006, 04:23 PM
People like to dwell on the past i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Without Snake the world would be f*cked,people would by controlled by the patriots.

I wonder what BB has been doing all these years and what he thinks about SS. He must have stay hidden cause he doesnt wanna die for real next time i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

NM
Wed, 01-18-2006, 04:47 PM
I also want to add that I've beaten MGS3 many times and tears still fall during the ending, especially when Big Boss does the salute in front of Boss' gravestone.

You and me both Terra. i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif MGS3 had one of the best endings and at the same time, the most tragic and heartbreaking ending of all. As for his actions, its understandable why he did what he did. He was pretty much tricked by the government to kill The Boss, showing him that soldiers were nothing more but tools of the politicians. But after the events in Operation Snake Eater, he knew how soldiers think and how they felt, hence the quote by Gray Fox, "We're not tools of the government, or anyone else. I may have fought on the battlefield, but at least I fought for what I believed in" and therefore, Outer Heaven, where soldiers are respected as warriors, not as emotionless pieces of life that the government uses to clean up their mess. If it had not been for Big Boss, Snake would have been the type that always followed orders blindly, like what Big Boss did in the Virtuous Mission and Snake Eater (not too mention that Snake wouldn't exist). I can't ever consider Big Boss an enemy after playing MGS3, he's definetly an anti-hero as Terra put it.

And now that he's been confirmed for MGS4, I'm quite curious as to how he came back to life. Didn't Liquid say back in MGS1 that part of his demands was for Big Boss's body? If so, does that mean someone brought him back to life? I would say its the Patriots but their dead as Otacon put it...man, Kojima's going to blow my mind away with this game, I know it. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Hakeem_21
Wed, 01-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Maybe someone helped him fake his death.

He must have some contacts after all the years in the game.

SamuraiX-
Wed, 01-18-2006, 06:09 PM
Ok, stop, stop, stop, stop, SSTTOOOP!! lol

It seems that I forgot to point out that, yes, Big Boss is confirmed to be in MGS4, but if you look closely in the pic on the first post, he is dead. Those are just his remains. And for God's sake, I hope it says that way! i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif

We have enough whacky shit goin' on in the MGS series as it is. We sure as hell don't need to throw any RE zombies in this crazy circus. XD

Anyways, I'm surprised you guys haven't figured that out already, just look at that picture of him in the first post! i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif He is way too thin to still be alive, unless he went on some kinda crazy-ass diet. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Technically, Kojima has not really given us any conformation on the status of Big Boss in MGS4, only that he will be of some importance. So, for all we know, he could very well be alive. Maybe everything stated in MGS about him being chryogenical frozen was just a load of bull. Maybe the reason the U.S. didn't want to hand over Big Boss's remains so bad was because there were no remains, and he is still alive. It's anyone's guess right now, but judging from the pictures, he looks dead to me... However! I think we know Kojima better than that, and after MGS2, I hope everyone has learned not to expect anything. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Terracosmo
Wed, 01-18-2006, 06:29 PM
My theory is that he's in fact dead, and he's only on the poster to show that his remains will play an important role once again.

LobsterMagnet
Wed, 01-18-2006, 06:47 PM
As much as I absulutely love the metal gear series and just about anything that Hideo Kojima does but can't help but feel annoyed by that one little detail in the MGS 2 where liquids hand possesed revolver ocelot. Can someone please justify that for me? No matter how I look at it, no matter how much a suspend my disbelief I just can't get over it. There is no way a fricking hand should be able to demonically posses people.

Hakeem_21
Wed, 01-18-2006, 07:38 PM
There is no reason for Big Boss to be in the pic if he is dead and only his remains are in the game. If the pics arent tricks BB should be alive in MGS4. It woulndt be strange since MGS3 was about him could have been a way to build up his backround before he made a comeback in MGS4.

SamuraiX-
Wed, 01-18-2006, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by: LobsterMagnet
As much as I absulutely love the metal gear series and just about anything that Hideo Kojima does but can't help but feel annoyed by that one little detail in the MGS 2 where liquids hand possesed revolver ocelot. Can someone please justify that for me? No matter how I look at it, no matter how much a suspend my disbelief I just can't get over it. There is no way a fricking hand should be able to demonically posses people.

Alright, I've explained this about seven times in the past, in multiple paragraph essays...but I guess one more time won't kill me... I hope. XD

Let's start off by stating the facts:
- Ocelot's right hand was sliced off by Grey Fox in MGS1.
- Liquid Snake was died of FoxDie in MGS1.
- Solid Snake stated that he and Otacon used Liquid's body as a decoy to make it look like Snake died in the Tanker incident.
- When Raiden spoke with Rose after asking her to look up some info on Solid Snake's remains (which is obviously Liquid), she stated that, "he was missing his right arm".
- Ocelot had Liquid's (God/Kojima only knows why) right arm grafted onto his half-forearm.

Alrightly then, let's move onto the main theories about how Liquid can sometimes take control of Ocelot through his arm.

Theory 1: Because of the nanomachines that Liquid Snake already had in his body when he died. Some believe that the nanomachines have not been perfect, so when Ocelot's and Liquid's nanos mixed together, they somehow allowed Liquid to sieze control of Ocelot through his arm. - This theory hasn't really been looked upon that much, but it's one of the primary ones out there.

Theory 2: As you know, Ocelot is the son of The Sorrow, and The Boss. The Sorrow was a great spirit median, and was able to communicate with spirits, and tap into the thoughts of the dead. Many have come to believe that Ocelot has also inhereited this power from his father. Because of this, fans have formulated the idea that Liquid takes control through these powers that Ocelot possesses. - Probably the first or second most rational theory.

Theory 3: As you know, Solid Snake and Liquid Snake are genetically identical brothers (twins). As you know, twins share some strange ability of being able to know what the other is thinking, wihch allows them to speak in unison, and such. Solid and Liquid share a relationship that is bonded together with their genes. Because of this, people have theorized that Liquid Snake is only able to take control of Ocelot, through his arm, when his brother, Solid Snake is nearby.

Examples of these occurrences are:
- Ocelot loosing control just before hijacking Metal Gear RAY, from the U.S.S. Discovery Tanker in the first chapter.
- When Raiden listens in on Ocelot and Solidus's conversation in the hostage room. Ocelot begins to loose control again, and he states, "There's something going on. The incidents are becoming more frequent. Maybe that man's presence...". By that man, we are assuming he meant Pliskin (Solid Snake).
- In the torture room with Raiden, Ocelot's arm begins twitching, yet again. This is followed by him stating, "Could it be that he's here too?". Again, by he, we are assuming Ocelot is referring to Snake.
- Finally, toward the end of the game, on top of Arsenal Gear, Liquid takes full control again, as he did during the Tanker incident. Take note that Solid Snake was only about one hundred feet away. - Preferably, my favorite theory, it just makes the most sense, and it sounds like something Kojima would do.

And there you have it, those are the three, primary theories that fans have come up with. For now, there is no confirmation as to how exactly Liquid can sometimes take control, but I believe it will be explained similarly to one of these three theroes. Hope that answered your question. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Oh, btw, I recommend that you guys check out this FAQ. It answeres alot of the complicated questions from the game, that have been brought up many times in the past.

Metal Gear Solid FAQ (GameSpot Version) (http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventure/metalgearsolid4/show_msgs.php?topic_id=23624276&pid=926596)
Metal Gear Solid FAQ (GameFAQs Version) (http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=926596&topic=23624276)

Both are exactly the same, since the two websites share their forums. The reason I am giving you both links is because one of the forums (usually Gamespot's) could be down sometimes.

Hakeem_21
Wed, 01-18-2006, 08:00 PM
The third theory is the best, i mean its alittle too wierd that the arm reacts when Snake is close and when he is close enough it takes over the body. Just like in Tanker video just before Snake "drowns" and in the end at the top of arsenal gear.

SamuraiX-
Wed, 01-18-2006, 08:17 PM
I guess it's implying that the closer Snake is to Ocelot, the stronger response Liquid's arm has because of their genetic similarity.

Hakeem_21
Wed, 01-18-2006, 08:53 PM
Yeah it must be that.

Psyke
Tue, 05-09-2006, 11:23 PM
New trailer for MGS4 from E3 (http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=10432&type=mov&pl=game)

Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaakeeeeeeeeeeee! :(

Genma
Tue, 05-09-2006, 11:45 PM
That new trailer confused the hell out of me.

"Old Snake"... is that old Solid, or old Big Boss? Why is Meryl young? Why is Raiden dressed like a retarded version of Gray Fox and... well... acting even gayer than in MGS2? Why does Otacon seem cool, rather than a total loser? And lastly, what the hell is going on?! D:

Nonetheless, these graphics look awesome. I'm pumped for this game.

Vegechan
Wed, 05-10-2006, 01:07 AM
http://emosnake.ytmnd.com/

I'm really not excited about this game after seeing the new trailer. Snake would never amount to that. Never. Regardless of what he goes though. Suicide should not be a slight consideration. It's against his chacter. To me, it seems like they're changing the characters around too much. Raiden kicking more ass? We didn't see "Old Snake" do a single thing. Just run around, usually, away. I was looking forward to this game at first... but now... I just don't know.

Lefty
Wed, 05-10-2006, 01:26 AM
http://emosnake.ytmnd.com/

I'm really not excited about this game after seeing the new trailer. Snake would never amount to that. Never. Regardless of what he goes though. Suicide should not be a slight consideration. It's against his chacter. To me, it seems like they're changing the characters around too much. Raiden kicking more ass? We didn't see "Old Snake" do a single thing. Just run around, usually, away. I was looking forward to this game at first... but now... I just don't know.

Well If you look at it he's been fighting battles for almost all of his life. You deal with the fact that you and your preadacesor are soly responsible for bring the new age of war. Somthing so regulated, so routine that it's like going to a 9-5 five job. Also don't let this trailer get to you. It's more geared to get people to go "Holy Shit this is going to have a crazy complex story that will be fun to watch unfold", along with the great gameplay that is MGS. So don't judge till you play it. You know the japanese and their fetish for super emo game trailers.

Genma
Wed, 05-10-2006, 09:30 AM
Ack, I just realized something.

The old preview had Old Snake with an eyepatch. On this new one, however, you can see that both eyes are visible and undamaged.

Which wouldn't make a whole lot of sense, right? Big Boss got his eye shot out during MGS3. How could it magically reappear in 4?

Oh god... more confusion.

Psyke
Wed, 05-10-2006, 09:43 AM
The eyepatch in the first trailer is a sophisticated optical equipment which is helping Snake to take aim and to zoom in on targets, if I remember correctly.....

Genma
Wed, 05-10-2006, 10:34 AM
The eyepatch in the first trailer is a sophisticated optical equipment which is helping Snake to take aim and to zoom in on targets, if I remember correctly.....

If that's the case, why is everyone saying this Snake is Big Boss?

EDIT: I checked this out on Wikipedia and this is what I found (possible spoilers - highlight to read):

"In this game, Snake is clearly suffering from accelerated aging, a result of the cloning process which gave birth to him. Big Boss was cloned in his late 50's. Having been cloned from the aged cells of Big Boss, it is therefore likely that imperfections in his genes led to a decreased lifespan."

So I guess it makes sense now.

NM
Sat, 05-13-2006, 12:04 PM
OMG! http://www.gamespot.com/news/6150282.html

The best part is, Uwe Boll will not be having any part in this movie, so says the article. :D

Psyke
Sat, 05-13-2006, 02:54 PM
Wow this is exciting news. I really hope that Hideo Kojima plays a major part in the movie, as in all the easter eggs in the games, the movie better have something similar! I loved the story in MGS3, and if that is anything to benchmark the upcoming movie it's going to be fantastic. Let's just hope that if an American director is going to do this, it's not going to be another Paul W.S. Anderson.....

DarthEnderX
Sun, 05-14-2006, 05:17 PM
The full 15 minute version of the E3 trailer.

http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=2445

Complete with Raiden being pretty much a badass for like 3 minutes straight at the end.

Genma
Sun, 05-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Daaaaamn!

That preview was awesome. It's going to be hard waiting a year for this. :p

Lefty
Sun, 05-14-2006, 11:19 PM
Wow This game is definatly going to be sick, but i'm woundering how long it will take to compleat. Also those metal gears look really frikin crazy.

Raven
Mon, 05-15-2006, 01:59 AM
Man, if I actually end up buying a PS3 at any point, it'll be for that game. One of the best trailers ever.

Knives122
Wed, 07-11-2007, 05:57 PM
Well it's certainly been a while since anyone came to this thread. Anywho, Hideo Kojima showed a new trailer for the game and it's pretty much the best trailer ever.

259 mbs but it's worth it (rightclick save as) (http://zeus.dl.playstation.net/cdn/UP0101/NPUK00013_00/FREE_CONTENTE08UtQGl3MvbKfYve4xh/MGS4_E3Trailer-HD.mp4)

masamuneehs
Thu, 07-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Liquid (even if he's some weird fusion with Ocelot now)? FOXDIE? Raiden actually being badass? (he's gotten the Grey Fox treatment, it looks like...) Old man Snake? (i so hope there's fatigue in this game...)

The promo trailer Knives posted looks pretty sick, but once again it indicates that there's going to be alot of cool stuff going down in cut-scenes... I was hoping for more interactive gameplay, but those cutscenes did look badass... I'm very happy that they're finally getting back to some of the stuff from the first Metal Gear Solid, after that complete crap-house called Sons of Liberty and the prequel (although good) Snake Eater.

Hideo Kojima, single-handedly forcing the PS3 into our lives...

edit - where can i find clips or even images of ACTUAL gameplay for this? do they exist?

LaZie
Thu, 07-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Sad to say.....I never played a Metal Gear Solid game in my life :(

Mabye i'll get around to it someday in life

Knives122
Thu, 07-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Liquid (even if he's some weird fusion with Ocelot now)? FOXDIE? Raiden actually being badass? (he's gotten the Grey Fox treatment, it looks like...) Old man Snake? (i so hope there's fatigue in this game...)

The promo trailer Knives posted looks pretty sick, but once again it indicates that there's going to be alot of cool stuff going down in cut-scenes... I was hoping for more interactive gameplay, but those cutscenes did look badass... I'm very happy that they're finally getting back to some of the stuff from the first Metal Gear Solid, after that complete crap-house called Sons of Liberty and the prequel (although good) Snake Eater.

Hideo Kojima, single-handedly forcing the PS3 into our lives...

edit - where can i find clips or even images of ACTUAL gameplay for this? do they exist?

Next week they'll be showing gameplay, and also that was all ingame footage so the entire game will look like that.

One more thing, I converted the video to wmv so it's easier to watch
http://www.flyupload.com/?fid=5554964

Psyke
Sun, 07-15-2007, 07:00 AM
This will definately be the game which will finally make me go get a PS3. It's still pretty expensive here and sadly the price drop in the US doesn't affect anything here. Lack of killer games on the PS3 is making the Wii very popular here.

Nai
Tue, 07-24-2007, 09:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eSFpDsIbug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0O-mwDb-5Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGEaInTtuqw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FGv0um8Uz8

Four new gameplay videos salvaged from IGN. Credit goes to the salvager.

EDIT: Here's (http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/13378) the full 15 minutes with subtitles. It's quite awesome stuff indeed!