PDA

View Full Version : bit tornado tips

XDEATHX
Fri, 05-13-2005, 04:46 AM
i was wondering if there was any other things i can adjust on this BT to make it faster. i already changed the settings from "automatic" to "unlimited." that helped a lot (i had it running for 48hrs on "automatic" and only 7% was finished). but i was wondering if there was anything else i could do.

NM
Fri, 05-13-2005, 05:33 PM
Well, your speed all depends on the amount of seeds present. Seeds mean the people uploading the same file you are downloading. Make sure that if your using a router, you've port forwarded all the ports your BT uses. This should help maximize your speed.

XDEATHX
Sat, 05-14-2005, 01:27 AM
thanks...but how do i port forward all the ports? ( i am using a router)

Mut
Sat, 05-14-2005, 01:28 AM
Do a search for "ports", lazy ass.

XDEATHX
Sat, 05-14-2005, 06:11 AM
its still dl pretty damn slow.....when i was doing the settings on the router.....i didn't know what to put under "application"......not enough room to type bit tornado....tried "BT"....none helped...what do i put for application if im running bit tornado?

lilphatboi88
Tue, 06-07-2005, 02:39 AM
It doesn't matter what you put down there for the application. Bittorrent might work. But just open the ports that are stated in your preferences.

bob64
Sat, 06-11-2005, 01:06 AM
oy oy, you go to PORT FORWARDING, and forward the ports. (its probably easier if you placed your computer's ip in the DMZ under advanced options though.)

complich8
Mon, 06-13-2005, 10:06 AM
two technical notes:

first: yep, in most routers, the "application" field is a few characters to let you write something so you remember what the hell those ports are for next time you go in to add a forward. So it doesn't have, in most cases, the least bit of bearing on things.

second: I highly discourage the use of the DMZ. It basically defeats half the purpose of having a router in the first place (namely that the router is a particularly effective natural hardware firewall, due to the whole nature of NAT). Putting a computer in the DMZ is tantamount to exposing it to raw unfiltered internet, which is inadvisable for the average user (and if you don't know why, you fit into the category of people who shouldn't be).

Assassin
Thu, 06-16-2005, 04:45 PM
ooh.....*goes to router settings to remove himself as DMZ host*

btw, wth is a MAC Address?

complich8
Thu, 06-16-2005, 08:37 PM
a MAC address is a "Media Access Control" address or something like that.

Basically it's a unique identifier for your network interface (but it's easily spoofed/overridden in software).

MAC Addresses are basically a lower level version of ip addresses, or at least that's an easy way to think of them. They're used in negotiating things like who gets to talk on the wire at what time, and who they're talking to. Pretty essential for ARP (address resolution protocol) to function, letting network nodes know who a given broadcast is addressed to (which is particularly handy on shared-media network hardware, like wireless, and dumb devices like hubs).

Lots of places and people (including most DHCP servers, and many ISPs that use them) consider a MAC address to be a globally unique identifier of your device. And they're usually not wrong about it either (except, again, that MAC addresses can be spoofed and cloned, which comes in handy for most routers).