PDA

View Full Version : The Naruto Dub

Pages : [1] 2

XanBcoo
Wed, 05-11-2005, 04:30 PM
Since Naruto's gonna be dubbed pretty soon, I've been wondering about what Voice Actors they'll pick to be our favorite characters. I'll use VAs that I know ShoPro has used, but go ahead and list any voice actors you'd think would be good

Not familiar with a lot of them, but I think David Lucas/Steven Blum (Spike Speigel's English VA) would be good in just about any role. But I think he'd be perfect for Zabuza, Kakashi, or Rock Lee (using a softer voice).

I'll bet Kagome's voice from Inuyasha will be in it (forgot her name), but I can't picture her as anyone.

More thoughts later.

Serial_Samurai
Thu, 05-12-2005, 12:30 AM
I tihk Steven Blum is extremely overused. Id like them start picking the voice for the part as opposed to just using good voice actors in general.

Analogy: Robert Deniro is a great actor, but would he have been just as great playing the role of Jack Nicholson's character in 'A Few Good Men.' Probably not.

Side Note (somewhat off topic): Steven Blum I believe has been cast for the voice of Mugen in the dub of Samurai Champloo, if thats true - does that bother anyone else? (apologies to the moderators for non-Naruto content)

XanBcoo
Thu, 05-12-2005, 12:33 AM
I have yet to hear Blum as Mugen save for the promo on Toonami.
But from what I've heard, it sounds great.

I still stand by Blum being in Naruto. He'd be great.

Y
Thu, 05-12-2005, 01:05 AM
Unless I'm mistaken Viz uses the Ocean group on their anime properties.

snapcase
Thu, 05-12-2005, 08:14 AM
EDIT: nevermind....

And on the note of Champloo they have Daniel Andrews listed as Mugen, which doesn't appear to be a pseudonym of Blum's.

Kezren
Thu, 05-12-2005, 09:34 AM
It sounds like Spike's VA. and they have jett's in there too I think.

GhostKaGe
Thu, 05-12-2005, 09:40 AM
how much ya wanna bet they get the guy who did chibi trunks in dbz to do konohamaru just to piss us off

i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gifi/expressions/devil.gifi/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gifi/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gifi/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gifi/expressions/wine.gif

XanBcoo
Thu, 05-12-2005, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by: Y The Alien
Unless I'm mistaken Viz uses the Ocean group on their anime properties.

That's right, they do. Most likely the VAs will come out of Ocean Group. But in their most recent release, ShoPro used StudioPolis for the dub (I think), so we really don't know what's gonna happen.

I would rather it not be Ocean Group, as I don't like many of their VAs. Zatch Bell has some quality voice actors in its cast, many of which I wouldn't mind seeing on Naruto.
Examples:
Dave Wittenberg/Dave Lelyveld as Sasuke (using a deepr voice)
Crispin Freeman as any male role
Michelle Ruff as Sakura (perhaps)

As for the Ocean Group I'd like to see Kirby Morrow (Miroku), and Scott McNeil (Koga), as male voices.
Konohamaru would be good voiced by the girl who does Shippo's voice.

NM
Sat, 05-14-2005, 07:09 PM
From NarutoFan:

Steve Blum to work on Dubbed Naruto Anime
Reported by: Tazmo on Saturday, May 14th, 2005 at 05:07PM
Steve Blum, more famously known as Spike Spiegel from the Cowboy Bebop franchise revealed during his panel at ACEN yesterday that he is part of the cast for the Naruto anime series that is set to be coming to Cartoon Networks Toonami this fall. It is unknown what character he will play, or if he will just be doing a script adaptation as he has done for ShoPro Entertainment (now VIZ Media) on the MegaMan NT Warrior series. As of now he is the only member of the Naruto USA team that is known, this should be interesting!

Mae
Sat, 05-14-2005, 07:35 PM
That is interesting. I wonder who he'll voice, Kakashi maybe? Honestly, I didn't relly like him as Spike because he left out a lot of the playfullness and whatever happens, happens attitude that I loved in the character. But he wasn't too bad as an actor.

Also, and sorry if I missed this somewhere else, but Naruto really will be on Toonami? That's the prime-time slot, right? This could be good or bad. Bad, because there will be editing, but good, because there is a better chance of the series catching on and being truly popular in the US. I can just see it... Naurto toys, Naruto lunchboxes, kids dressing up as Naruto characters at Holloween... I would keep a special box of king-sized candybars to give to all the cute little kids dressed up like ninjas... Or maybe not i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

snapcase
Sat, 05-14-2005, 10:42 PM
If Blum does do a voice for Naruto I hope it isn't Kakashi. I just don't think his voice fits the part.

XanBcoo
Sun, 05-15-2005, 11:31 AM
Whoever it is he plays let the record show that I called it.
HEHEHEi/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

I think he might play Zabuza, he'd fit well as him. But who I'd really like to see him as is Lee (only using a softer voice, like in Scry-ed and Chobits).

Rhanfahl
Wed, 05-18-2005, 04:07 AM
Fucking VIZ.... I can see it now... Naruto or Sasuke sounding like Inuyasha.... ::sigh:: It would just be better if they had it on Adult Swim and didn't fucking Dub it at all. I mean some anime can be good in English, like Cowboy Bebop for instance cause it didn't specifically involve Japan or Japanese culture, so English was a totally viable language for that series, including the characters in it which weren't necessarilly Asian at all. But Naruto... I don't know... it would be like watching a Miyazaki movie in English.... sure hire big name actors to do the roles....but it still fucking sucks anyways cause of the poor translation (Phil Hartman in Kiki excluded...Phil you kick ass and I know I miss you...). Actually I think the bigger problem is in the translation and not necessarilly the voice acting. But I agree that new talent needs to be acquired, I'm really tired of hearing the same actors over and over and over again. Cause most of the anime voice actors only have "one voice" anyways and sound the same in all the different shows they do! Get a real voice actor like Billy West or Dan Castellaneta who can actually manipulate their voices and not sound like the same freaking person in every project they work on.... ::sigh:: but I guess that's asking for something logical and fresh, and as we know from Network Television and Family Guy's small cutaway about the monotony of network TV, freshness is discouraged, and sometimes met with death by a painting for the mere mentioning of it....

XanBcoo
Wed, 05-18-2005, 11:04 AM
Rhanfahl:
Choosing Richard Cox for Naruto or Sasuke would be a bad dubbing choice. I agree with that. But I don't think they're gonna do it. Despite what you think, anime dubbing studios aren't total idiots. They're not gonna cast a voice without considering the characters (I'm talking about good dubbing studios, we don't know about Viz just yet...).
Also, what do you mean by "Translation"? Most dubbed anime don't have huge translation errors that would ruin the whole show. If anything, they're gonna have to mess with the dialogue a little, but only to synch with the mouths.
I would personally hate to hear Billy West's voice coming out of ANY anime character. And I'd rather have Steve Blum than Homer Simpson (or Principal Skinner, Krusty, etc, if you wanna be technical). I can name quite a few different anime voice actors who use a different tone in their voice for different shows, but that doesn't matter, becuase their voices often fit the characters anyway. And I hope they pick some good ones for Naruto...

LobsterMagnet
Wed, 05-18-2005, 12:06 PM
I wonder if that guy who does yugi's voice in the american version will do any of the naruto voices. All I know is that when ever I try and watch any saturday morning cartoons I hear his fricking voice everywhere. It's kinda scary. Although I'm guessing he probably won't considering that he's prbably with another studio.

XanBcoo
Wed, 05-18-2005, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by: LobsterMagnet
I wonder if that guy who does yugi's voice in the american version will do any of the naruto voices. All I know is that when ever I try and watch any saturday morning cartoons I hear his fricking voice everywhere. It's kinda scary. Although I'm guessing he probably won't considering that he's prbably with another studio.

He's with 4Kids, so I'm pretty sure he won't be in Naruto.

ZakuHan
Wed, 05-18-2005, 02:49 PM
I don't know any of the voice actors by name or rep or anything, I just know most of what I've heard of dubbed anime sounds bland, emotionless (or worse, over-embellished emotion) and generally pretty bad. I might watch an ep or two when it comes out, just to see what they do to it, but seeing as we're a couple years ahead in the story... And know the current Japanese VA's are wonderful at what they do... I see no reason to keep up with it on TV. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

NM
Sat, 05-21-2005, 11:58 PM
More news from Narutofan!

Naruto Anime Dub, Cuts and Edits
Reported by: Tazmo on Friday, May 20th, 2005 at 08:44PM
The Naruto anime series that is set to air this September on Cartoon Network's Toonami block will supposedly see its first DVD home video release in December of this year, possibly before Christmas. Of course everyone knows that there will be edits made to the series which potentially would not have been made had the series aired at a later time on Adult Swim, which was decided to boost ratings among all ages, but Naruto fans should be happy to note that DVD releases will be uncut. You should also be happy to know that we are hearing technique names will stay true to the original Japanese series such as Kage Bunshin no Jutsu and of course the names of characters will remain unchanged.

What will be editted? Any blood that flows out of characters and could be viewed as a graphic scene, Any battle scenes which could be viewed as graphic such as the battle on the bridge with Haku & Zabuza where Uchiha Sasuke has needles through his throat, Any ulta-graphic death scenes such as the exploding Zaku Abumi, Any "bad word". What won't be editted? Blood that does not flow out of characters in a graphic way, Naruto stabbing his hand in an early episode, The Sexy no Jutsu. It's worth it to note this is all preliminary information which could change at any time, infact it could be not true at all, but it doesn't seem like the series will stray too far away from the point we enjoy it at now.

Well, at least we won't have to hear "Art of the Doppelganger" i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif.

XanBcoo
Sun, 05-22-2005, 12:14 AM
This info's all ready been posted in the "Naruto Premeire" topic.
It's still awesome though (the technique's not being translated, I mean)

ilovegregayres
Wed, 05-25-2005, 09:07 PM
i personally would like to see greg ayres, Chris Patton, Jason Douglas, Andy McAvin, Jessica Boone, Monica Rial, Luci Christian, and pretty much anyone that does a VA job on any anime with them. I'm prolly going to be dissapointed with the dubbed orochimaru because the japanese VA rulleesss!!! Plus...they had better not change the beginning or ending themes! (janaito naichau kara!!!! *or else I will cry* Haruka Kanata, Harmonia, Go!! Rocks...well pretty much all of them are great. ive only seen to episode 99 tho

The Heretic Azazel
Wed, 05-25-2005, 09:10 PM
I think either the opening or the ending would be cut. Most of these animes are 23-24 minutes and to fit an American half hour block you would have to cut the time somewhere for commercials, like Adult Swim did with InuYasha, cutting out the openings.

ilovegregayres
Thu, 05-26-2005, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by: The Heretic Azazel
I think either the opening or the ending would be cut. Most of these animes are 23-24 minutes and to fit an American half hour block you would have to cut the time somewhere for commercials, like Adult Swim did with InuYasha, cutting out the openings.

Noooooo!! they cant cut the beginning and ending themes! they rule! This show is going to be so horribly raped its not going to be funny. The only exception is if they use this cast

Naruto-greg ayres
Sasuke-chris patton
Sakura-hillary haag
shikamaru-kevin corn
orochimaru-andy mcavin or mark hamill
kakashi-jason douglas
zabuza-david lucas (they might cast him as orochimaru tho...ug
anko-marcy rae

I have other choices. i'll post them later

snapcase
Thu, 05-26-2005, 05:02 PM
Unfortunately having the DVDs uncut doesn't necessarily mean that the DVDs wont have all the blood edited out. I wish the DVDs would be uncut and unedited, and essentially the only difference from the original version being the dubbed tracks. I'm really doubting that I'll bother to buy the DVDs, but I do know I'll wait for a few episodes to air on tv before I make my final decision.

Hyuuga_Destiny
Fri, 05-27-2005, 06:13 PM
You think they'll pronounce Naruto just like the 3 flash films that are mentioned in another topic?
They pronounced it as Nejroetow i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif
Or the traditional way of saying it as we all do, just plain 'ol Naruto like they say in the anime.

XanBcoo
Fri, 05-27-2005, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by: ilovegregayres

Noooooo!! they cant cut the beginning and ending themes! they rule! This show is going to be so horribly raped its not going to be funny. The only exception is if they use this cast

Naruto-greg ayres
Sasuke-chris patton
Sakura-hillary haag
shikamaru-kevin corn
kakashi-jason douglas
anko-marcy rae

Most (if not all) of these people work for ADV. ShoPro has licensed Naruto, so they'll be using the Ocean Studio VAs. That is excluding Blum (David Lucas) of course.
None of these will in the eng. Dub, however I do agree with most of your choices. I think Patton would kick-arse as sasuke.

PS: I pronounce if naRUto - but that's only because it was introduced to me that way. It's what people called it.
I know it's NAruto, but I can't bring myself to break the habbit.

ilovegregayres
Mon, 05-30-2005, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by: xanbcoo

Originally posted by: ilovegregayres

Naruto-greg ayres
Sasuke-chris patton
Sakura-hillary haag
shikamaru-kevin corn
kakashi-jason douglas
anko-marcy rae

Most (if not all) of these people work for ADV. ShoPro has licensed Naruto, so they'll be using the Ocean Studio VAs. That is excluding Blum (David Lucas) of course.
None of these will in the eng. Dub, however I do agree with most of your choices. I think Patton would kick-arse as sasuke.

PS: I pronounce if naRUto - but that's only because it was introduced to me that way. It's what people called it.
I know it's NAruto, but I can't bring myself to break the habbit.

you..have...got...to...be...kidding. naruto is going to be horrible......i think im going to cry...not really....im just MAD! ShoPro can go lick a frog and let ADV license Naruto! gosh......Im glad you agree with Chris Patton tho. Hes a great voice actor (especially in Chrono Crusade and Full Metal Panic) I think youre right though....all of my dvds that have those voice actors (except mark hamill and david lucas) are all adv....T_T; grrrr. lol your pronounceation (i know i spelled that wrong) is no worse than my friends. she used to call him Na-Rah-Too. where she got that...the world may never know

Guron
Thu, 07-07-2005, 10:19 AM
Blum=Shikamaru
it actually fits, i thought about it for like half an hour and its the only character i could imagine the voice for, except the bug guy, but he doesnt have enough lines for Blum... now what interests me more is who is going to be doing Gaara and Orochimaru :]

XanBcoo
Thu, 07-07-2005, 02:56 PM
Ummm...
Blum is already doing Kakashi. I think that was confirmed a long while ago.

Shikamaru's voice is gonna be hard to place in english. He's got that almost-high-pitched-lazy-complaining-but-also-confident-drawl to his voice that's gonna sound obnoxious if not done right in English.

Same with Lee. They're gonna make him way too goofy.
Gaara - any dude with a deep/menacing voice will work well. Let's just hope that he doesn't sound like Kaworu from Evangelion in English (Gaara and Kaworu have the same jap VA). Maybe the guy who does Miroku in Inuyasha, he'd work well if you put a crab in his pants.

Orochimaru - It's not a joke to me anymore, Michael Jackson would be killer as Oro. I can honestly picture that.

Edit: as I said before, Blum would work as anyone. Using the Kazuma voice from Scryed, I agree he'd be PERFECT as shikamaru. Sadly that's not the case.

Saionjik
Sun, 07-10-2005, 07:16 PM
EVERYONE... SHHHH!!! all i got to say is here are the official so far found VA's They might switch them with so ShoPro people.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0409591/

go check it out.. and stop wondering

Cast (in alphabetical order)
Steven Jay Blum .... Kakashi (voice: English version)
Johnny Yong Bosch .... Naruto (voice: English version)
Mark Hildreth .... Sasuke (voice: English version)
Rachael Lillis .... Sakura (voice: English version)
Eric Stuart .... Gara (voice: English version)

American Hero
Sun, 07-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Orochimaru - It's not a joke to me anymore, Michael Jackson would be killer as Oro. I can honestly picture that.

Yeah, as if the guy doesn't have enough heat on him. Doing a voice for the next major youth program will certainly help to clear his name.

Tiger of The wind
Sun, 07-10-2005, 08:22 PM
Johnny Yong Bosch .... Naruto (voice: English version) what animes has he done so i can check them out and hear his voice cause i dont think ive ever heard it before

is he a teenager or a kid sorry to be annoying but i kinda just got into anime about a year or so ago so i dont know any of the english dub voice actors except the guy that did higes dub voice on wiolfs rain lol

Death BOO Z
Sun, 07-10-2005, 08:33 PM
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0097765/

a list of some of his roles, but god, how hard is it to follow a link?

LaZie
Sun, 07-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Dude that guys a power ranger! I recognize him right on the spot. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

XanBcoo
Mon, 07-11-2005, 03:38 PM
HOLY SHIT!!!!
JOHNNY YOUNG BOSCH IS DOING NARUTO??????

That's awesome!!!
He's a great Voice Actor! Holy Shit, I love that!!

We don't have to worry any more about Naruto's VA. It's official! (in my book at least...)

Who da fuck is the guy voicing sasuke??

Death BOO Z
Mon, 07-11-2005, 03:47 PM
http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0383926/

Edit: insulting pharse deleted.
actually, i didn't even notice it was you when i wrote this post, it was just a general comment (as in "you don't know who he is? do a search on his name"), nothing perssonality, realy.

as for the big shots in anime dubbing, i can't really comment, as i live in a none-english speaking country, so i don't really bother with dubbed animes.

XanBcoo
Mon, 07-11-2005, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by: Death BOO Z
http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0383926/

People who can't use google suck, and therefore, you suck.

EDIT: DeathBooZ's Edit noted.
No hard feelings then.

I meant "who da fuck" is he, as in "I've never heard of this guy." Johnny Young Bosch is a big name in dubbed anime, so I reacted immediately to hearing his name (I personally think this is a great choice for Naruto). Even before I posted, I had already looked up Hildreth's voice acting roles. My comment about who he was intended to show I've never heard of him at all.

AnimeNewsNetwork also has some English VAs listed for the Naruto cast.

Stephanie Sheh as Hinata (never heard of her either, apparently she's in Rave Master and Zatch Bell)
Colleen O'Shaughnessey as Ino and Konohamaru (this is great choice! For any oldschool digimon fans, this was Sora's VA. She's also in Zatch Bell)
Steve Kramer: as Sandaime Hokage (I honestly can't remember his voice that well, but reading his voice credits I recognize him as the typical "old geezer voice" from a lot of anime...crap)

As for the IMDB cast listings, I hear that none of these voices have actually been confirmed. ANN is more trustworthy when it comes to an anime cast, but if the information Saionjik posted is true then:

I've already mentioned Blum. He'll be ok as Kakashi, a good overall VA.
Bosch plays Vash on Trigun and Kiba in Wolf's Rain (he's a personal favorite VA of mine). He also plays Claus on "Last Exile". I suspect he'll be using that voice if he is to play Naruto.
Hildreth plays "Heero" in some Gundam series (I've never seen any Gundam, so I wouldn't know about him)
Rachael Lillis is most recognizable as Misty on Pokemon (oh Jesus...whatever, Sakura sucks anyway)
and Eric Stuart is Brock from Pokemon and Kaiba from Yugioh...SHIT.

last thoughts: They f***ed up Gaara and Hokage's voices so far, but as for the main character and Kakashi, I think they've chosen some top notch VAs!

RyougaZell
Tue, 07-12-2005, 09:36 AM
Jesus... im kinda glad my directv antena doesn't work anymore...
unconfirmed or not... a power ranger as Naruto's voice? That seriously gave me a bad mental image...

Kakashi's VA... only have heard him as Sanjuro on the hack games... really don't know his other works (I mean... never heard them)

Although I have heard the ones playing Sakura and Gaara in porkemon... damn bad choices...

Oh well, not that Im really going to watch this dub anyways... hope I will never have to see the latin-dub *shudders*

EDIT: for those that don't know, Im mexican (so to not get on a flaming war over my latin-dub comment), I just come and go, so people don't really pay me attention

XanBcoo
Tue, 07-12-2005, 04:16 PM
Bosch may have been a power ranger, but he's a damn good voice actor.

I hated him as Vash, but only because Masaya Onosaka is my hero. lol.
Otherwise, he's really good and fits the characters he plays quite well. He did a great job as Kiba in Wolf's Rain (sounded like the original VA and brought his own talent to the role), and as Claus in Last Exile. For that, he did a great job as coming off as a young teenager, so I hope he can do the same as Naruto.

This is all unconfirmed however. The users at IMDB says it happens a lot that a cast is listed on the basis that fans say they SHOULD be listed...weirdos...

Kirakun
Wed, 07-13-2005, 03:22 PM
Heero Yuy's voice for Sasuke.....may actually not be too bad

vegita625
Thu, 07-14-2005, 12:10 AM
Heero Yuy's voice for Sasuke sounds pretty damn good, a badass assh*le (well, before Relena lol) for a badass assh*le, about the same seriousness... sounds about right

If the girl doing Sakura was Misty from Pokemon, it might be a good choice after all...

Vash's dub VA sounds like a good pick for Naruto, I think his over enthusiastic and energetic voice works well for Naruto

Steve Blum has done SEVERAL roles, and is extremely good VA, examples: Spike of Cowboy Bebop, Mugen of Samurai Champloo, Jamie of Megas XLR (I was stunned when I found that one out) as well as others. He does best, in my opinion, for the character that's just seen simply as the badass, thus for Kakashi it works.

Not sure on the pick for Hokage, it could work...

XanBcoo
Thu, 07-14-2005, 02:51 PM
again...
all of these voices are unconfirmed except for the ones on ANN (that is, kakashi, hokage, ino/konohamaru, and hinata)

If anyone has seen Cyborg 009 in english, Steve Kramer is the fat one who breaths fire. That's the Hokage??? No thankyou....here's a link to his other anime voice credits if anyone's interested (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=536)
I would LOVE for him to be voiced by the guy who does Aramaki from GITS:SAC in English, but sadly no luck there.

meh, life goes on I suppose.

Sidnne
Thu, 07-14-2005, 05:26 PM
I wonder if anyone has ever thought of casting Aries Spears as an anime VA. That guy is so talented with his voice its amazing. I'll bet he would kick ass as a VA.

mage
Thu, 07-14-2005, 09:50 PM
Misty from Pokemon as Sakura? AHGHAHABABAFFHaSJFO stupid useless bitch gets what she deserves.

and Kaiba from Yugioh (also Brock from Pokemon) as Gaara? LOL this is going to suck so bad.

vegita625
Fri, 07-15-2005, 10:40 PM
Actually, Misty's voice about what I imagined for Sakura. I'm not sure how Kaiba's voice would work for Gaara, but I do hope that the guy who did Kaiba can change his voice a lil bit, though him doing Brock only showed changes in emotional voicing, the *voice* itself still sounded the same (you know what I mean). I wish anime dubs would get more VA's with voices that can change, ya know? I mean look at a couple American cartoons, like the Simpsons for example. Not even 10 voice actors have a good 30 or so characters, and never knew until looking at the credits and watching "In the Actor's Studio" once, meanwhile you listen to anime dubs and can say "Hey, that guy from Gundam Seed sounds exactly like InuYasha!"

XanBcoo
Sat, 07-16-2005, 01:41 AM
That's really true. A lot of anime voice actors never really "change" their voices from role to role. And if they ever do, the changes are reallllllllllllllly subtle

Steven Blum, for example, sounds different as Kazuma, Spike, Shishio, and Roger Smith. But you can still tell it's him. He just changes his tone slightly or something.

If Gaara's voice is in fact whasshisface who does Brock, I hope he sounds damn evil and is able to pull it off!

Mut
Tue, 07-19-2005, 10:40 PM
i just hope they dont mess them up!!

Antipete
Sat, 07-23-2005, 05:57 PM
Dont take this the wrong way....... but OMG, do you think maybe your either becoming a bit too-too bored, OR you really-really should have quit posting after 337? lol, I mean holy cow, what the hey.................... do you know what this reminds me of in all seriousness? Those radio-call-in shows about Sports where fans will come up with fake-trades and junk like that and the radio-host listens to them and comments on them and I sit in total amazement just wondering what the heck do these people do all day if this is what is really on their minds for Bhudda's sake?

Ok, I got one how about Pee-wee Herman for................................

I would much rather see a thread like WHY did Kakashi give up Naruto as a student to Ero-senin? Is this permanent? Did Kakashi maybe take Naruto as far as he could go with him? Wasnt it great to see "the 5Th" take on a new student and now they are all really like the 3 of those guys when they were kids with #3 going to his boss too right? lol
Now thats something to talk about, .....whew VA's.Cmon!!!

XanBcoo
Sat, 07-23-2005, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by: Antipete
Shitpost

STFU
Go create/participate in another topic and stop crapping on this one.
And for the record, if you had any sense, you'd see that I'm talking about real voice actors who WILL do the voices in naruto (with the exception of the IMDB VAs - that was a rumor). When I heard Naruto was licensed I began to wonder which Actors would be cast as which characters. Now that a few have been chosen, I found it appropriate to list them, and my opinions on how they will portray the roles - not that I really have to explain myself to you...jerk off.
You can discuss the roles of these voice actors or not. If not, then don't bother posting.
There are more than enough topics to discuss whatever it is you want to talk about (hell, I'm also interested in why Kakashi would give up Naruto as a student). But if you don't want to talk about the English voice actors of naruto, then don't. You've got no fucking business posting on a topic just to bitch about how people are actually discussing it.

vegita625
Sun, 07-24-2005, 02:40 AM
About you saying everyone in anime dubbing barely changes their voices, not so true. The person who does Misty in Pokemon, from what I've heard, also does Jesse from the same anime... meaning she has one hell of a good voice range to change between (is she "for sure" doing Sakura, or is that an unconfirmed report like who's doing Hokage and a few others?). Also, Steve Blum has one role I can think of where I never even thought to say it was him. You know, you listen to Spike from Cowboy Bebop, then next watch Roger Smith of Big O, then watch Shishio in Rurouni Kenshin, you'll be able to think to yourself "I know that voice!" But I was absolutely dumbfounded to hear that Steve Blum did that Jamie guy from Megas XLR. After I heard, I could hear it slightly, but I never even thought for a second it was the same guy until a friend of mine who watched the credits carefully told me. So Steve Blum has at least some voice range.

Oh, and Antipete, let me ask you something... if you can post to someone "get a life" after reading some of the topic you consider really retarded, then aren't you the one who needs to get a life? Oh, and why did Kakashi give up Naruto to Jiraiya? Because he could provide at least an ounce of protection against Akatsuki and train him all at once, among other possibilities of perhaps hiding some time since he boasts about his abilities to hide. Meanwhile Kakashi could only train him, and not any better than Jiraiya. Kakashi couldn't beat one member of Akatsuki, let alone if something "unthinkable" came up and more than just Itachi fought for Naruto, and Kakashi couldn't leave the village in the state Konoha is in, obviously, very crippled, while Jiraiya's only been doing espionage and such (as was hinted when he left Naruto in Konoha for a lil bit last time we saw him), which he could do while training Naruto since his version of training is giving a task to be done whether he's there all the time or not.

Thought at least half of that was common sense, but whatever, maybe just my own thought process, dunno how that'd be a better question than "Who's gonna be doing the American dub voices of Naruto?" since that's another way of saying "I wonder if Viz is gonna botch this up, hope Naruto dubbed doesnt suck..." I find the future of the anime a lil more important than a side question that has an obvious answer.

This part of the GotWoot forums is for the Naruto anime alone, and ya know what? The voice actors for the dub is quite clearly in that topic, therefore very relevent. Like I said, it's also something important to the future of the Naruto anime since having a successful dub leads to more fans that are worth talking to about the anime (as opposed to talking to One Piece fans who have no idea that Captain Chaser is supposed to smoke 2 cigars at once, have a completely different name, and have a coat lined with cigars at all times... and that Sanji doesn't chew lollipops... I keep waiting for an editing mistake and to see a trail of smoke from the lollipop lol). We have our reasons for being interested in this, and we're not proposing things equivalent to "Okay, how about Peewee Herman for..." with the exception of maybe jokes about Orochimaru being similar to Michael Jackson and needing a similar voice... anyway, yea, shut your mouth about things that are interesting and worthwhile to talk about, if you're not interested, then it's not mandatory to open every topic and read every little bit of the forums baka.

XanBcoo
Sun, 07-24-2005, 01:15 PM
well said Vegita. Antipete's a fucking moron - end of story.

On topic: You're right, I had forgotten about Lillis using her "mature" voice. She uses that in Kare Kano as Yukino's mom. And I already mentioned Blum. A lot of his roles sound very similar, but then there are some where he completely changes his voice (like for Jamie or Kazuma). I wonder what type of voice he'll use to portray Kakashi...
So I guess anime VAs do have a range in their voices, just not as much as voice actors on the Simpsons or something. There are really only a few anime voice actors who are talented enough to manipulate their voices to get the best possible performances (another example - Tiffany Grant...but she's ADV). That's part of the reason I was happy about Bosch being cast as Naruto. But sadly, that was a rumor.
And yeah, for the record: all the voices listed on IMDB (Naruto, Sasuke, Gaara, and Sakura) are all fake. IMDB works off of fan-submitted information. So oftentimes the info they receive is false (like in this case).

Terracosmo
Sun, 07-24-2005, 01:25 PM
I'll have to agree about the vocal range of Steve Blum, he does a lot of voices in the Dynasty Warriors PS2 game series (games which I like very much) and none of his roles sound the same.
He is definitely on par with your run of the mill japanese seiyuu.

ZeusKOTG
Wed, 07-27-2005, 03:10 AM
I wish this anime was also voted in by the union so Crispin Freeman could be in it. I do like some of the English VA chosen so far. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Blum also do Onizuka in GTO? I thought he did a great job in GTO as well.

XanBcoo
Wed, 07-27-2005, 03:42 PM
I don't know what you mean by "union" but I do know that Crispin Freeman was in Zatch Bell (also Dubbed by Viz/Shopro). So there's a small chance he might be cast as someone. I think it'd be cool if he was Itachi. That would rock.

And yeah, Blum was Onizuka.
He does a good job in pretty much every anime he's in.

ZeusKOTG
Wed, 07-27-2005, 07:55 PM
What I mean is that Crispin Freeman is part of a union. If the company decides to use Union VA then there is a chance that Crispin could be a part of it. Union VA do not do freelance work.

Tiger of The wind
Thu, 07-28-2005, 04:30 PM
the guy that does brocks voice in pokemon also does james voice too i didnt even know that was him till my friend told me

XanBcoo
Sat, 08-06-2005, 05:55 PM
I just checked the AnimeNewsNetwork cast listing for Naruto and it seems they have a voice actor listed for Sasuke. ANN is pretty trustworthy, so I'll assume this is for sure.

Yuri Lowenthal (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=25241)

I have never heard of this dude, so I've got no reading on him. Anyone who recognizes one of his roles, gimee an opinion on this.
Is he any good? Will he fit sasuke?

vegita625
Sat, 08-06-2005, 09:41 PM
First of all, wasn't the voice actor for the dubbed Sasuke already listed on the confirmed listings as someone else, specifically Mark Hildreth (the guy who does Heero Yuy)?

Second, if you're right, that means the guy who did Haru Glory would do Sasuke... oh the horror... THE FRIGGIN HORROR! He's good as Haru Glory, but that's the only role I've heard in that list, if he's typecast as that type of guy, he could never do Sasuke.

I'm pretty sure that it was already confirmed to be Mark Hildreth, honestly, and the voice of Heero Yuy of Gundam Wing definately fits Sasuke better...

rarr
Sat, 08-06-2005, 10:00 PM
The IMDB cast is confirmed false. ANN is always more reliable, anyway, and the IMDB cast was...questionable, for the most part, anyway.

XanBcoo
Sat, 08-06-2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by: vegita625
First of all, wasn't the voice actor for the dubbed Sasuke already listed on the confirmed listings as someone else, specifically Mark Hildreth (the guy who does Heero Yuy)?

I think I made it pretty clear by stating it three times that the voices listed on IMDB were unconfirmed listings submitted by fans, that those voices were not the official cast list.

so anyway, is this guy, Lowenthal, I hope he can pull it off.

vegita625
Sun, 08-07-2005, 10:40 PM
Oh, I read the stuff on the site once, so I didn't know IMDB referred to that site, I thought there was some other site without a link on here that IMDB referred to. Blah, so I didn't pay enough attention, flames are not needed, k? I check a link and go straight to dub voice actors, then I read another post much later very briefly stating briefly "IMDB proven false" and I didn't know that also referenced to that link. I didn't pay enough attention, fine fine, I got the point when the first guy quoted me and told me that the report I read is false.

ANYway, I really hope Lowenthal has some good voice *acting* ability, as opposed to "my voice never changes from this pitch and my emotions are on the same wavelength as a specific kind of character" kind of voice "actor," because like I said, hearing Sasuke as "Haru Glory" would really, really not sound right to me...

ChiaCheese
Mon, 08-08-2005, 04:49 AM
This would be the american voice cast in a perfect world.
Naruto- Ben Savage
Sasuke- Rider Strong
Sakura- Danielle Fishel
Kakashi- Will Friedle
Third Hokage- William Daniels

in a similar note, someone earlier mentioned Crispin Freeman. which got me thinking. how awesome would it be if Crispin Glover played Orochimaru?

The Heretic Azazel
Mon, 08-08-2005, 09:15 AM
Boy Meets World ruled!!

XanBcoo
Mon, 08-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Did it ever!!! I loved that show to death. I loved seeing all the characters grow up (I grew up with them XD), and the show was so funny. Plus it had so much drama and emotion at times, and a really cool cast..damn I miss that show...

@vegita: I hardly flamed you man. I just found it suprising that after I said three times that only 4 voice actors had been confirmed, someone still thought Hildreth was doing sasuke. But I recognize your mistake (it's one that I would have mad myself), so whatever.

Also, does anyone know how to change the name or subject of the topic?? I'd like this to become more of a discussion of the Dub, than of possible voice actors.
Danke.

The Heretic Azazel
Mon, 08-08-2005, 03:17 PM
I just wanted Corey to say one time...

DAMN TOPANGA YOU GOT SOME DICK SUCKIN LIPS!!!!!!!

vegita625
Tue, 08-09-2005, 03:33 PM
Heretic: too true lol, I thought that when I first saw her looking old enough (as opposed to the early episodes, where, ya know, just too damn young lol). Meanwhile, I don't know any actors/actresses names, so which actor from the previous post brought up your Boy Meets World reference? lol

xanbcoo: 3 guesses, either the first post of the topic needs to be editted, mods have to do it, or it can't be done. Honestly, if moderators can't do it, then I'd be surprised.

I've been thinkin about who should do Orochimaru... he needs a snake-like voice, I don't care if it's a low voice or a middle voice (but not higher than the Jap. VA, of course). Anyone ever hear an anime dub characters voice that sounded snake-like?

Mut
Tue, 08-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Topanga isn't even that hot. In fact, she looks even worse in real life.

XanBcoo
Tue, 08-09-2005, 05:26 PM
Those actors are the cast of Boy Meets World, and funny enough, they do fit XD
Eric as Kakashi would be funny as hell (in fact, he's done voice work before: Terry on Batman Beyond and Ron on Kim Possible <--shitty-ass Disney channel show)
and I can totally see Feeny as Hokage.
ah...if only...

As for Orochimaru, I'll be suprised if they find a good VA to pull of what Kujira has done w/the character in Japanese. I don't know many of the actors Viz uses either, so I can't speculate as to who it might be. I can only hope for the best. If not a "snakey" voice, then they'll probably try "creepy". If not that, then...well the dub will suck.

*Still no new info on the rest of the cast*

I dunno Mut, I think Topanga was ok (not on fire hot, but definitely good looking). In any case, Azazel was referring to only one part of her body. And he's damn right, lol.

The Heretic Azazel
Tue, 08-09-2005, 07:34 PM
I think Oro's Japanese VA is just the most awesome person ever.

And I do think that Topanga was damn hot in the later years... I haven't seen her since BMW ended though.

Rek
Tue, 08-09-2005, 07:48 PM
dude. your gross. she was much hotter in the early years of production...

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Tue, 08-09-2005, 08:35 PM
Don't mess with rek he knows his stuff.

Wait......how the fuck did we go from naruto voices to Topanga from boy meets world? Somebody tell me.

XanBcoo
Tue, 08-09-2005, 09:53 PM
someone make a topic in the General Discussion
relate it to how hot Topanga is/is not

ChiaCheese
Wed, 08-10-2005, 06:11 AM
Kim Possible <--shitty-ass Disney channel show)
it is a shitty-ass show, but damn it if i don't love Steve Silver. That guy is an amazing artist and a class act all the way.

and to get back on the subject of voice actors, my alternate list went like this.
Naruto- Mark Paul Gosselaar
Sasuke- Mario Lopez
Sakura- Tiffani Amber Thiesen
Rock Lee- Dustin Diamond
and Mr. Belding as the Third Hokage.
but that would've been stupid so i went with the other.

and i still stick by my comment that Crispin Glover would make an excellent Orochimaru.

XanBcoo
Wed, 08-24-2005, 09:09 PM
Thanks redemption2 for the update.

ANN has Brianne Siddall listed as the english voice actor for Naruto.

here (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=2256) is a link to her anime acting credits.

This is one of the people I had thought they'd be choosing. Her voice sounds similar to the one in the fucking awful fandub of Naruto - only she's a talented and accomplished VA. IMO she can pull it off. She's got a voice that more or less fits Naruto's body and is a pretty good actress overall.

My only worry is that she'll make Naruto's voice too low (as she does w/Jim Hawking and Tsukasa), because as we know, Naruto has a high-pitched, energetic voice.

redemption2
Wed, 08-24-2005, 09:51 PM
I disagree, I think she did a great job with Jim Hawkings, I just hope she doesn't screw it up and make it too girly like Tsukasa.

XanBcoo
Wed, 08-24-2005, 10:38 PM
oh, I meant too low compared to Junko Takeuchi. I have yet to hear a role of Siddall's that is similar to Naruto's Japanese voice. I'm not saying it doesn't fit - it's just not similar, and might be annoying (hey, I've been hearing that girl for nearly 150 episodes i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif).

Siddall's "boy-voice" is more of a mellow, mature tone. She did great as Jim, and while that particular voice will fit during Naruto's serious speaches, it doesn't seem like it will fit Naruto's hyperactive personality quite like Takeuchi.

And, as you said, there's a chance she'll make him sound like a wuss (ie. Tsukasa). Which again, fit that particular role, but might not work well with Naruto's personality.

redemption2
Thu, 08-25-2005, 02:42 PM
My appologies, looks like its been changed, and Viz issued the official list. Not only that but Blum has swapped out from Kakashi and has taken Zabuza. Here's the official thing from ANN.

Sakura - Kate Higgins
Naruto - Maile Flanagan
Sasuke - Yuri Lowenthal

Kakashi - Dave Whittenberg
Hinata - Stephanie Sheh

Tsunami - Cindy Robinson
Ino/Konohamaru - Colleen O'Shaughnessy
Asuma - Doug Ehrholtz
Gato - Fred Tatasciore
Tazuna - Kirk Thornton
Iruka - Quinton Flynn
Choji - Robbie Rist
Hokage - Steve Kramer
Zabuza - Stephen Blum
Shikamaru - Tom Gibbas

Most of these people are brand new. The only person I have a complaint about is Kakashi, you'd know him as Mullin Shetland from Last Exile, Henry from Digimon, and all sorts of other things.

Shinda
Thu, 08-25-2005, 04:23 PM
I complain about Yuri Lowenthal for Sasuke
it just... won't fit in my opinion

potentialflip
Thu, 08-25-2005, 04:24 PM
Hehe... this is sort of a joke. but go to the IMDB website and look who is casted to VA for Orochimaru. Out of all the people him!!! MATT DAMON... People in IMDB really need to research stuff before putting in things from what people submit to them.

nests
Thu, 08-25-2005, 05:05 PM
There seem to be a lot of hispanic people on the cast which is a good thing cause if you know how to propertly pronouced the R like the japanese than you can say the names like they are supposed yo be said

XanBcoo
Thu, 08-25-2005, 05:11 PM
wow...just...wow

I was really looking forward to Blum being Kakashi and all...
oh well, Wittenberg is good. I've heard him in just about every role. I wonder what type of voice he'll use for Kakashi. Blum also fits Zabuza very well, so I'm not worried about that. It just means we'll only have Blums voice for the first season i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

All the rest, it's just as redemption said: they're all pretty new. Which can only mean one thing. There's a good chance they'll suck. bad.

@nests: I think you might have been looking at the Tagalog cast.

nests
Thu, 08-25-2005, 06:58 PM
Yes, yes I was

ChiaCheese
Fri, 08-26-2005, 05:15 AM
hear naruto's voice. briefly. very briefly.
cartoon netwrok ad (http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0FC0X7UCCQAGF1K6JQAA7WAIW7)

XanBcoo
Fri, 08-26-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by: ChiaCheese
cartoon netwrok ad (http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0FC0X7UCCQAGF1K6JQAA7WAIW7)

BWAHAHA
I know I shouldn't judge just from "...wut iz this?" but that voice sucks! I guess we'll really have to wait until Sept. 10 to make a solid judgement.

The Heretic Azazel
Fri, 08-26-2005, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by: ChiaCheese

BWAHAHA
I know I shouldn't judge just from "...wut iz this?"

Why not, do you seriously think it'll get better?

I think it's fair to judge. That's a horrible fucking voice for Naruto.

Tiger of The wind
Mon, 08-29-2005, 09:10 PM
i just saw the commercial you guys are talking about and i agree with you guys that voice sounds very bad

BioAlien
Tue, 08-30-2005, 12:47 AM
... his voice suck... (even if its was just 3 word lol) , oh and yu-gi-oh gx?! lol

XanBcoo
Thu, 09-08-2005, 08:23 PM
2 days away from Naruto's debut on Toonami and here is the updated cast list:

Maile Flanagan as Naruto
Kate Higgens as Sakura
Yuri Lownthal as Sasuke

No reading on the Team 7 VAs. Maile is a noob to anime, and I've never heard the other two...

Dave Wittenberg as Kakashi (he's been in a lot of anime. Chances are you've heard him in some dub or another. Not sure how he will fit kakashi though)
Colleen O'Shaughnessey as Ino/Konohamaru (same as before)
Doug Erholtz as Asuma Sarutobi
Fred Tatasciore as Gato
Kirk Thorton as Tazuna (very nice choice - Kirk is a favorite of mine...also played Jin in the Champloo dub)
Quinton Flynn as Iruka (Raiden from MGS2)
Robbie Rist as Chouji (also played in Initial D)
Steve Kramer as Sandaime Hokage (same as before - generic old guy)
Tom Gibbas as Shikamaru

AND Steven Blum as Zabuza - I'm so happy that they changed this. Blum's voice fits Zabuza 110%, the only drawback is we'll only get to hear his voice for the first season i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

here is where you can find all of this info (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=1825)

And for anyone who has not seen/heard it yet, here (http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/video/toonami/index.html) is the short clip of the first episode that CN has on their site.

The general consensus so far (from other forums as well) is that it doesn't sound as bad as expected, but you can hear from the clip the acting sounds a little gritty (especially Iruka imo). Many are annoyed that Naruto sounds so young as well.

BioAlien
Thu, 09-08-2005, 10:00 PM
the one thing thats i hate about it, is the way they are saying naruto...

XanBcoo
Thu, 09-08-2005, 11:34 PM
BioAlien: They are saying Naruto correctly. That is how it is pronounced in Japanese.

But since you're not the fist to make that mistake, I'll bold it for anyone else who thinks it's pronounced Naroooodoh.

Naruto is pronounced correctly in the dub
with the emphasis on the "Na"

BioAlien
Fri, 09-09-2005, 12:41 AM
no.. thats not it... the manner of which they pronounces naruto does not seem normal

ChibiYali
Fri, 09-09-2005, 10:36 AM
the difference lies in the pronounciation of the r..

the US version has the r more in the middle of the mouth, where your tongue takes a slight dive down to let it roll , whereas the japanese one is at the front where you use the tip of your tongue and the teeth.

that's prolly what bugs you i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif try pronouncing the two for yourself and see the difference...

the emphasis is definately on the "na" part though

that... and japanese pronounciation is quicker than US english

Yali

XanBcoo
Sat, 09-10-2005, 09:18 PM
THE DUB SUCKS SO FAR

(more info later)

Phoenix20578
Sat, 09-10-2005, 09:20 PM
To me, the only sucky parts is the voice of Naruto, and some of the pronuciation. Otherwise, it's pretty good so far.

AlleyCat04
Sat, 09-10-2005, 09:21 PM
Oh yea I just watch both Eps and I have to say listening to Naruto voice is starting to make me want to kill myself. I know woman does alot of younger boys voices in anime and whatnot but damn don't just let me know that a woman doing the voice for the starts.

XanBcoo
Sat, 09-10-2005, 09:22 PM
I was just saying that to get it off my chest.

I'll edit this post later when I listen to it again and can make a better judgement. Right now I'm just in shock because I'm so disappointed it's not completely awesome.

Tiger of The wind
Sat, 09-10-2005, 09:24 PM
lol they should of used ashs voice from pokemon that voice would of fit naruto better

or maybe the guy that does higes voice on wolfs rain

mage
Sat, 09-10-2005, 09:29 PM
Naruto's dub voice is good, you people are morons.

XanBcoo
Sat, 09-10-2005, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by: mage

They are justified though. You seem to be pretty optimistic, calling it "one of the best dubs"...actually, it's not that great so far. My concern as of now is not the voices themselves (hey, Naruto's voice ain't that bad), but rather the acting that makes it seem so damn corny.

OmnislashXX
Sat, 09-10-2005, 09:39 PM
OK I think Naruto's voice is a good pitch, it's scratchyness kinda mimics his Japanese voice, but it lacks the raw "kick" you get from the Japanese counterpart.

Deblas
Sat, 09-10-2005, 09:42 PM
Well I saw the premiere of the two episodes and I have to say that they are doing a pretty good job with it so far.

The sexy jutsu and blood aren't edited. I was worried that they would cut out those parts.

The justus have english names. But I was expecting that anyway. They call them justus instead of attacks though.

Now the biggest flaw in dubs. Voices:

They're good. Instead of just reading their lines only, the VA's add some emotion to their characters and the voices aren't half bad except for Naruto's. Its the scratchyness. I don't know what dub anime companies have with scratchy voiced kids.

Phoenix20578
Sat, 09-10-2005, 09:47 PM
You cant give a 7 year old voice to a 12 year old character. It's just not right.

XanBcoo
Sat, 09-10-2005, 09:56 PM
I agree with Naruto's scratchy-ass voice being a little annoying. But all in all, I think it fits him rather well. Perhaps when the show reaches the higher number episodes, the VA will have grown into the role.

mage
Sat, 09-10-2005, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by: Phoenix20578
You cant give a 7 year old voice to a 12 year old character. It's just not right.
have you ever heard a 12 year old talk? they're pretty high pitched.

Dezalanel
Sat, 09-10-2005, 11:27 PM
My brother happens to be 12 years old and sounds nothing like that. He does sound like he is a 7 year old Phoenix is exactly right. Besides that I think the voices are horrid. Well not the voices themselves it is the fact that there is no EMOTION in their voice. If they actually showed emotions in their voices I actually might like it.

XanBcoo
Sat, 09-10-2005, 11:32 PM
I haven't seen it yet, only heard some of teh voices over the phone w/another friend (I don't have a tv, and yes, I'm that dedicated).

But I've been reading on other forums, it seems like Iruka had 0 emotion behind his speach in episode 1. Other than that, I heard they pullled it off great. By the end of teh second episode, some people had already accepted Naruto's English VA and some people are in love w/the Hokage's.

Crispin Freeman rocks. The End.

mage
Sat, 09-10-2005, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by: Dezalanel
My brother happens to be 12 years old and sounds nothing like that. He does sound like he is a 7 year old Phoenix is exactly right. Besides that I think the voices are horrid. Well not the voices themselves it is the fact that there is no EMOTION in their voice. If they actually showed emotions in their voices I actually might like it.
I heard plenty of emotion in their voices. Don't know what show you're watching?

XanBcoo
Sun, 09-11-2005, 02:25 AM
ok, I just watched the recording of the first two episodes and here are my thoughts on the voice actors...

Overall: Good dub. Not great. Very gritty b/c it's only the first two episodes. Some gripes I've heard complain about pronounciation. PLEASE FOR GOD'S SAKE LET THIS BE THE LAST TIME I HAVE TO SAY IT - THEY PRONOUNCE NARUTO'S NAME CORRECTLY. The only name they struggled with was Konohamaru. The said KonoHAMAru - which made me literally cringe. During the first episode I also noticed Iruka say Mizooki once or twice, but everything else was spot on. Perfect pronounciation and I loved the way they handled the Jutsu names. Leaving the word "jutsu" in there after a literal translation of the technique was a very good way to go IMO. It's definitely better than Viz's manga translations....Other than that I've also heard people say that some characters lacked emotion. I largely agree with this as some lines came off rather corny. Some of the things they said made me and my friend laugh out loud because they sounded so lame in English. Perhaps it is because the actors are still inexperienced with the show. I'm looking forward to improvement because it sounds very promising so far.

1. Naruto - very very touchy subject. I've heard a lot of people complain that he sounds too young and too raspy. I can definitely tell they were trying to go for similarity to the Japanese voice. She handled Naruto's personality very well. My only problem with the actress is her delivery of Naruto's lines. They all sound the same. She, so far, has the least emotion behind her lines...EXCEPT the "If you touch my sensei...I'll kill you" <--THAT was awesome. Very well done. Everything else sounded stupid. The actress sounds like she smokes 90 a day when she does her high pitches, but handles Naruto's voice well when he's serious. I also thought it was funny how they translated "DATEBAYO" as "beleive it". A little corny at times...but I'll live with it. I also think the actress was great during the end of the second episode. I bought it completely. I think if I get used to her raspy voice, I'll begin to like it.

2 Iruka - In short, I think he handles the lower tones very well but when he shouts he sounds pretty dumb. He's got an average voice and doesn't stand out much unless he does a bad job. Sadly, he does do a rather bad job. His performance during the first episode when he was crying was so....he didn't even sound upset!!! He sounded like he was giving a lecture! 0 emotion. I was looking forward to that scene and hoped they would handle it well. There are some scenes in Naruto that carry a lot of emotion, and sadly Iruka couldn't convey it. Other than that he sounds ok. Like I said, average voice.

3. Mizuki - man I'm I pissed he's gone for the next 150 episodes. This was the best voice of the lot from the first two episodes. He sounded the most "real". Too bad so sad. Not much to say b/c he won't be back until fillers, which inherently suck anyway.

4. Hokage - What can I say? I was worried he'd sound stupid or goofy, but I love this guy's voice so far. Not corny or lame whatsoever. He sounds like your typical "wise elder" - which is really what the Hokage is during the early parts of the series. There were only 2 or 3 times I laughed at what he said, only because of the weirdness of teh script (i.e. "Mizuki has a big mouth" and then again when he mentioned the "ancients", i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif just made me laugh). I don't see how anyone can complain about this voice. Very nice - especially when he gives his speech to Iruka about how Naruto is the villiage's "hero". I FELT that speech. No loss of emotion whatsoever in my opinion. This guy only shows room for improvement.

4. Ebisu - Crispin Freeman fucking rocks. I'm pissed they gave him Ebisu, as we only see him again for a few episodes in the 50's. Imagine, giving an experienced and talented voice actor (who is familiar with and enjoys anime) such a minor role. Bad move Viz. That's my only complaint. Other than that, I loved it. I actually laughed at parts from the second episode that didn't make me laugh because of Freeman's delivery. Love it.

5. Konohamaru - HAH! Perfectly done! I can't imagine how they could have done a better job. The actress' voice is so fucking cute and fits Konohamaru's personality so well. No corny-ness or lameness either b/c...well...Konohamaru is a little kid. If it did sound corny, it was because it was meant to. She also displayed a lot of emotion during her serious scenes in episode two. Nice casting on this one Viz.

Again, despite what I've said about how good or bad the voices were, all of them are subject to change as they "grow" into their respective roles. The dub is not perfect, and not "great" either. It's passable and some parts of it are actually very very good. The only complaints have come from sub purists and idiots who can't pronounce "Naruto" correctly. I'll admit, some parts are truly laughable because they are so LAME. I mean completely and utterly CORNY and LAME and STUPID. I cringed at parts...But I do not think these parts "ruined" the dub at all. Part of it is really just the way the script is written (for da kiddies). They are just little road blocks that the actors are going to have to overcome in the course of the series. I enjoyed the dub. I was expecting something terrible and now all I can say is...

Thank you Viz for not fucking it up

Edit: I only listed the major voices. During the first two eps and the commercials, I also heard Ino, Shikamaru, Sakura, and Kakashi. But there was too little to go on, so I'll wait for future episodes to bitch about them i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif (Kakashi sounds pretty good btw).

BioAlien
Sun, 09-11-2005, 03:19 AM
just a little question... since it won't be out in canada t'ill september 16th, should i download it? because it's already out in Torrent

Edit : ok.. i have downloaded the dubbed version... and i have just 1 think to say, the ending suck lol

Cal_kashi
Sun, 09-11-2005, 04:35 AM
I gotta say, my biggest issue with the episode was the multiple commercials, I felt that it really ruined the flow/continuity of the eps. Also, it irritated me that they no longer say hand seals.

That its all.

Zinobi
Sun, 09-11-2005, 04:44 AM
i watched the episodes today and i might kill myself im sticking with fansubs all the fucking way

GhostKaGe
Sun, 09-11-2005, 06:28 AM
try watchin them side by side think ill stick to the sub

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/848/resizednarutojp1vn3fr.jpghttp://img369.imageshack.us/img369/9641/narutous5kq.jpg

Turkish-S
Sun, 09-11-2005, 06:30 AM
whow just WHOW..

Cyberdude93
Sun, 09-11-2005, 07:23 AM
Right, now my opinions:

Dialogue: Perfect, hands down. I'll be honest, I would have prefered "Shadow Replication", but that was a translator's preference. I mean IIRC, both "Shadow Replication" and "Water clone" used the word "bunshin", but AnimeOne thought the variation was good. So in other words, perfect. Personally I'd be fine without anything to replace dattebayo, but "Believe it" sounds good

Voice actors: I won't lie, they aren't perfect, but they're really good. Whether they're good or not, they're better than for example One Piece, where they try to completely change the personality of characters and probably choose good voices for the new crappy personality. The point is it seems they tried to stay close the original, which is the most important thing for me. Hokage's and Ino's fit so damn well, and although Shikamaru's seems different I also think it's great. Hinata's is also very fitting.

Pronounciation: Again, I don't mind too much. It's not that they're pronouncing Naruto wrong, it just feels to me that they're overpronouncing it. Jutsu is slightly different, but meh.

Music: They just owned hands down here. They also fixed problems that were created. They removed the opening, thus creating a big silence, which they filled with Naruto music, as opposed to Pokemon where silences are filled with dub composed music. Although I downloaded it as opposed to watching it on TV, I think they handled the ad breaks quite well, and I have a feeling the DVD version is going to be done VERY well. I don't care about the opening and ending being removed, and personally I never liked the first ending (although seeing how it's in Engrish it would make sense to keep it in). Hell I've never liked Naruto's openings/endings as much as I have One Piece's.

Censoring: I've read on another message board (http://ap.animemedia.org/showthread.php?p=45442#post45442) that Anime Insider reported the DVDs would be uncut and they're just cutting blood and REALLY graphic stuff (Sasuke's neck of needles, Zaku's exploding arms) for TV, so this is fine. I could just buy the DVDs (if they make it to the UK >_<). I'm only worried about Tayuya really.

So this is great for me. Even the people who hate the voices shouldn't act like they tried to get such crappy voices like 4kids does. Well, that's a bad assumption. 4kids probably go for the cheapest voices.

Hyuuga_Destiny
Sun, 09-11-2005, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by: The Next Hokage
try watchin them side by side think ill stick to the sub

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/848/resizednarutojp1vn3fr.jpghttp://img369.imageshack.us/img369/9641/narutous5kq.jpg

If you could do this more I'd be grateful.
I'm interested in the differences between the original and the dubbed version. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

nests
Sun, 09-11-2005, 09:58 AM
Wow thats a lot of difference no wonder it looked kind of weird when I was watching it. and I agree, a post about the differences would be cool. better yet there should be one with a picture of the manga then the original anime then the toonami version.

kAi
Sun, 09-11-2005, 10:16 AM
http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/5189/naruto0101206dt.jpg

NM
Sun, 09-11-2005, 10:19 AM
The dub is actually pretty good. Here's my review:

1. Voice Actors: The VA's chosen for each character were perfect, I have no problems in this department. Shikamaru and Iruka's could've been better but I'm still happy with them. The best part about this is that when the Naruto games come over here to America, not only will the dialogue be understandable but also enjoyable.

2. Censorship: Pretty much, only the blood has been censored out. This includes Nose Bleeds and wherever there is an excessive amount (like in the screenshot comparison The Next Hokage posted, or when Iruka was hit by Mizuki's Shuriken, and was supposed to cough out blood instead of nothing). I hate censorship in all its forms but my friend tells me that along with the Edited DVD's (3-4 episodes per DVD), Uncut episodes will be released on their own DVDs in a batch of 13 episodes at about $20 (might be more...not sure). So look forward to that. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

3. Pronounciation: I think only Tom pronounced Naruto as it is pronounced in its original format, when the show went to commercials. Jutsu wasn't pronounced right either. Thankfully, they didn't use Viz's awful "Art of the Doppelganger" translation from the licensed manga. Shadow Clone works for me. Genin wasn't pronounced right either, I think. But at least their not using another one of Viz's shitty translations, like Journeyman.

4. Opening and Ending: Suck. At most, they should have at least kept Wind, seeing as how Wind is in English.

Overall, this is definetly a decent dub (though it can't match Cowboy Bebop). I'll still be sticking with AnimeOne's subs, but I think I'll watch the dub, just to see what else has been edited, and to see what voices they choose for the other Genins. I'm going to start buying the DVDs (uncut only) to support it as well.

GhostKaGe
Sun, 09-11-2005, 10:26 AM

this should appear before irukas bloody nose in the dub it appears after
http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/5137/naruto1us0ov.jpg

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8360/resizedtwnarutoepisode01dvdmp4.jpg
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/7725/naruto1us7td.jpg

scene cuts short as a result this part is missing (about 2 1/2 seconds) second scene is extended to compensate
http://img314.imageshack.us/img314/8360/resizedtwnarutoepisode01dvdmp4.jpg
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/2707/resizednaruto1enternarutouzuma.jpg

blood missing
http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/8360/resizedtwnarutoepisode01dvdmp4.jpghttp://img238.imageshack.us/img238/6917/narutous7xr.jpg

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/2452/resizedtwnarutoepisode01dvdmp6.jpghttp://img238.imageshack.us/img238/1879/narutous4hk.jpg

Insignificant missing scene
http://img280.imageshack.us/img280/8360/resizedtwnarutoepisode01dvdmp4.jpg

scene edited around looped and 3rd frame is missing
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/6008/resizedtwnarutoepisode01dvdmp5.jpghttp://img248.imageshack.us/img248/2452/resizedtwnarutoepisode01dvdmp6.jpghttp://img248.imageshack.us/img248/8360/resizedtwnarutoepisode01dvdmp4.jpg

overall the only stuff missing is the blood, a few insignificant scenes and the intro and outro

WoW wasn't i bored today

Rhanfahl
Sun, 09-11-2005, 10:56 AM
Next Halloween is gonna suck.... Although I can't wait to see some kids fall out of the neighbors trees and sue them for their own stupidity...

Terracosmo
Sun, 09-11-2005, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by: The Next Hokage
http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/8360/resizedtwnarutoepisode01dvdmp4.jpg
http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/2452/resizedtwnarutoepisode01dvdmp6.jpg

So... am I the only one who found this combination funny?

Cyberdude93
Sun, 09-11-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by: NarutoMaster
3. Pronounciation: I think only Tom pronounced Naruto as it is pronounced in its original format, when the show went to commercials.

I don't remember Tom using the word Naruto (Tom's the robot guy, right? I've not exactly watched a lot of US CN seeing how I'm in the wrong country to do so), but the 2 commercials I've seen have some CN voice pronouncing it 100% wrong. The emphasis is NOT on the 'U'.

Samehada
Sun, 09-11-2005, 01:14 PM
Disgusting. Absolute fucking shit. Sounded like they were reading the lines as they went along, the translations are unnatural, I mean who the hell talks like that? Thank god I never have to watch it like this, can't beat the original language. I get the feeling I will want to cry if I ever have to hear what they do to Orochimaru's voice. I don't understand how anyone would chose to listen to this rubbish given the choice, when the DVDs come will anyone actually bother listening to the English dub???

Edit: Actually to be fair I hate episode 2 far less than the first one but it still sucks ass

Mite Gai
Sun, 09-11-2005, 01:32 PM
Now watching the seires it is fairly bad and it makes me wish that ADV had got to this before Viz instead of wasting time buying crappy anime. Because IMO ADV would have done a much better job with the VA's, though the few little bits I have heard of Kakashi's voice sounded OK. Oh, and on the bright side this stole the One Piece slot on CN which is still worse than Naruto I think.

NM
Sun, 09-11-2005, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by: Cyberdude93

Originally posted by: NarutoMaster
3. Pronounciation: I think only Tom pronounced Naruto as it is pronounced in its original format, when the show went to commercials.

I don't remember Tom using the word Naruto (Tom's the robot guy, right? I've not exactly watched a lot of US CN seeing how I'm in the wrong country to do so), but the 2 commercials I've seen have some CN voice pronouncing it 100% wrong. The emphasis is NOT on the 'U'.

Before the commercial break starts, Tom says, "Naruto will be right back" while small scenes play briefly.

EDIT: Yes, Tom is the robot guy who hosts Toonami.

aznroyale
Sun, 09-11-2005, 09:09 PM
took out all the bloody part -_-

XanBcoo
Sun, 09-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Yeah, the edits are damn annoying, but at least they'll be in the uncut DVDs.

I was watching the first episode again, and I still can't get over how annoying Naruto's voice is now. It'll take a while for me to accept it.

Oh, and Tom did say Naruto, but he said it wrong. That makes me kinda worried 'cause Tom is voiced by Steven Blum, who will be playing Zabuza. I hope he gets it right by then...

Edit: Note, Tom said Na-roo-do, which is the wrong way to say it (funny enough, I say it this way, but only out of habit)

Tinks
Sun, 09-11-2005, 09:28 PM
"Said it wrong"
Each country has different accents and different pronunciation of words, learn to accept it

Necromas
Sun, 09-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by: Tinks
"Said it wrong"
Each country has different accents and different pronunciation of words, learn to accept it

Problem is the names are NOT english names, they're JAPANESE ones, so you should not use english pronunciation especially when it really isn't that hard to take 5 minutes to instruct the VA in how to say a few japense names.

KitKat
Sun, 09-11-2005, 11:36 PM
Keep in mind the intended audience of this dub. It's an English dub, aimed at English speaking children. They have no concept of the 'correct' way to pronounce Japanese names. For the majority of these kids, what they think of as correct will be whatever they hear. In fact, the anglicized version of saying Naruto will sound more correct to them, rather than a pronunciation that contains sounds foreign to the English language. The only reason it bothers us is because we're used to the subtitles, and we're used to hearing spoken Japanese. It makes sense for them to anglicize the Japanese words to make them easier for their audience to hear and pronounce.

vegita625
Mon, 09-12-2005, 12:08 AM
Only 2 things pissed me off, because everything else (even the lacking of nose bleeds) was expected to me:
1.) The changing of the intro and ending. I mean the same guys did InuYasha, why not keep Naruto's opening/ending themes?
2.) Episode 1: Iruka. That was the only part that sounded like it was being read from a script. I mean, the character is crying his eyes dry and he's saying very everything monotone. Horrible. Say the following very monotonic: "I am sad" and that's basically what it was...

That and the honorable grandson of the honorable Hokage... who happens to be honorable. "I was named after the ancient name of this village" I was wondering how they'd get around calling "The Village Hidden in the Leaves" Konoha for that explanation of Konohamarou's name.

Edit: Also, about the blood spurting out of their nose and everything, I'm kinda surprised they edited that so much... especially given that they all clean their noses for no apparent reason a second later lol. I laughed when Hokage stood back up and rubbed his nose with a tissue for no apparent reason, that was f'n great. SEXY NO JUTSU! "Hmm, suddenly I am having a cold"

Roko
Mon, 09-12-2005, 02:19 AM
That actually wasn't as bad as I thought. I can't beleive I forgot how funny Konohamaru's entrance was...that *smack!* was awesome. The voice I hated most was Sakura's...that voice just didn't suit her...at all. Shika's, Ino's, and Hinata's voice fit their characters, so those weren't too bad. Really not that much to say...it was "quite" decently done, keeping in mind what KitKat said. So yeah, I'm not as dissapointed as I initially thought I'd be.

Winged Dancer
Mon, 09-12-2005, 09:56 AM
I'd like to download these dubs, just to hear them at least... well, just ep 1, I've never cared much for Konohamaru and while Ebisu can be fun I hate Crispin Freeman. WIth passion. I don't know why but I hate him.

Anyway, from what I've heard from the trailers I don't think Naruto's voice is THAT bad. Sure, its a little annoying but the character's suppossed to sound like that... you know, on his crusade to get attention and what not? Or maybe its just that I've heard such TERRIBLE dubs that this sounds great in comparision. Go and find Lost Universe dubbed and then you'll LOVE Naruto's dub.

What I hate the most so far is how they pronounce Naruto. Sure, they've got the "Na" nailed, but they still say "Narutou" or something, instead of making it sound "Narutoh". Someone said before (a long while ago) that hispanic actors would be able to pronounce things correctly, and I think he's right. Spanish and Japanese's phonetic are very alike.

And it seems they did a good job translating the names. It was too much to expect they would leave them in japanese (sigh, for the time when that happens...) but at least they didn't use the manga translation, which sucked royally.

What sucked the most was that they changed the OP and ED. I mean, ROCKS wasn't the best example of Jrock but it was catchy and fits the show... and Wind?? Where's Wind??? It was in english! Well, engrish, but still!! And its a too damned beautiful song!! The songs/mixes they used were nice but still... Gundam Wing's theme was left untranslated (I think?) and Inuyasha's animation was intact. Why, then??

And I still hate Cripsin Freeman.

Psyke
Mon, 09-12-2005, 11:28 AM
Yeah is there anywhere we can download the dubbed version? I'm curious as to how badly they can mess up.

Phoenix20578
Mon, 09-12-2005, 12:20 PM
Just because your a nice guy Psyke i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif
For the first two episodes, go here and dl the torrents: Click Me (http://www.torrentspy.com/search.asp?query=naruto+dub&submit.x=0&submit.y=0)

If that doesn't work, go to: http://www.torrentspy.com/ and type in "naruto dub".

woofcat
Mon, 09-12-2005, 04:22 PM
http://www.mininova.org/tor/107806 - Naruto 1 - Enter Naruto Uzumaki! - CN Eng Dub avi
http://www.mininova.org/tor/107812 - Naruto 2 - My Name is Konohamaru! - CN Eng Dub avi

XanBcoo
Mon, 09-12-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by: Winged Dancer
And I still hate Cripsin Freeman.

So much hate towards one of my favorite voice actors 0.0
From whence comes this virulence WD?? I thought he was damn funny as Ebisu. Fit perfectly.

Oh, and I finally see what the problem is with the pronounciation of "Naruto" - the "o" is drawn out too much (if that's what you meant in your explaination). In that case, I agree. The Spanish/Japanese thing is funny too.

kooshi
Mon, 09-12-2005, 04:30 PM
Well, I watched 3 clips from the NarutoFan website, and they did an alright job, based on what I've seen there. The voices were a little annoying, but then again, that's what I thought at first when I watched it in Japanese (but it was my first anime in Japanese). The editing, yeah, that's somewhat dumb to do, considering how kids these days know about all the blood and violence they see in games and such, but oh well.
As for the intro + ending, yeah, that was quite a disappointment how they changed them, but they are still alright. They still can't compare to the original intros + endings though i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Necromas
Mon, 09-12-2005, 04:45 PM
Are you kidding? the intro and ending for the dub are pathetic, rivaling the one piece rap theme (but not as bad because these ones are bareably short, only like 30 seconds each).

Tonsus
Wed, 09-14-2005, 12:06 AM
After looking at the preview clip (http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/video/toonami/index.html?1) for the new Naruto episode, it seems like the rumors of the Naruto/Sasuke kissing scene being cut-out are true. I guess it's still going to be a while until America accepts that the hero isn't always a figure of perfect masculinity and would impregnate all of the female characters with one glance if he wasn't such a goddamn gentleman.

Until then I'm going to stay in the panic room while the fangirls revolt.

The Heretic Azazel
Wed, 09-14-2005, 12:13 AM
I don't see the problem with the intro...

30 seconds of metal > Rocks

Tonsus
Wed, 09-14-2005, 12:24 AM
Although I agree that the intro/outro (they are pretty much the same thing) are alright, I couldn't really tell whether the lyrics were Japanese or some sort of unintelligible grunting.

But the intro has nothing on Haruka Kanata.

Jman
Wed, 09-14-2005, 07:52 PM
naruto sounds way too young in the dub

XanBcoo
Tue, 09-20-2005, 01:18 PM
Impressions from voices in episode 3:

Sasuke - sounds bored and aloof. Not angry or arrogant enough I think. No real problems.

Sakura - Annoying, typical anime girl voices. Meh - wasn't expecting much.

Inner Sakura - Pretty awful. Nothing at all like her japanese voice and almost devoid of any anger or emotion.

Shikamaru - Completely different from his japanese voice. Not bad though. I can't say I like it very much, but he doesn't really do anything wrong. As someone else said, he doesn't sound bored or annoyed enough.

Chouji - Love it. I think the voice is David Umansky but I'm not sure. He's done a lot of anime (Chou the Sword Hunter in Kenshin, Keitaro in Love Hina, various Digimon voices, etc). He fits chouji's personality pretty well. I like it. Also very similar to Chouji's fat, nasaly voice in japanese.

Kakashi - Sounds ok. Next episode is his time to impress us.

Mite Gai
Tue, 09-20-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by: Necromas
Are you kidding? the intro and ending for the dub are pathetic, rivaling the one piece rap theme (but not as bad because these ones are bareably short, only like 30 seconds each).

Nothing is as crappy as the One Piece English OP, not even the DBGT English OP. And I personally like this more than Rocks, though when its Haruna Kanata time and eventually Seishun Kyousoukyoku time then there are gonna be some major problems, though at the moment I like it a little more than Rocks. Oh, and once again the patheticly stupid Anti-Gay attitude of American television censors another thing, I can't believe that they would really care that much about it. At this rate I am wondering if they are going to censor Haku telling Naruto he's a guy and all of the parts where Naruto farts.

The Heretic Azazel
Tue, 09-20-2005, 08:47 PM
From the little I heard of Kakashi I wish he was handled better.

Naruto is growing on me though.

I really cant wait to see how Oro is handled.

And yeah I wish they could have kept the entrances, but face it, it's a 21 minute show and there must be time for commercials. It could have been a lot worse. It's metal and that makes me feel good inside. To compare it to rap in the slightest is terrible.

V
Wed, 09-21-2005, 11:41 PM
I just watched the first ep. I thought it was rather well done. At first it was strange, but this is really gonna be a popular series in N.A. I didn't mind the choice for the voices at all, except maybe Sukura, but she wasn't on screen much.

About the pronounciation of Naruto... Well, in English it can't be helped that it would sound different. The 'u' sound in Naruto just doesn't exist in the English language. In English, they say 'oo' or 'ew' and they even pause before saying 'to'. It's just the way it is. Now French does have the correct pronounciation and some have said Spanish. Anyways, it clearly is NOT the correct pronounciation, but whatever, they come real close sometimes and it's obvious they tried to match the original. At least they didn't change the characters' names.

This ep, even in English reminded me why I liked this show in the first place. Man, I hope things return to normal soon.

snapcase
Thu, 09-22-2005, 08:03 AM
I haven't managed to watch any of the episodes on CN yet but I have watched one of the "Clip of the Week"'s on their website. Kakashi's voice is absolutely horrible. Sakura's is as bad as could have been imagined. Naruto's voice is really bad as well, but I don't think it's quite as bad as the others. From the little I've seen, I have no intention of ever buying the English dub DVDs, and if I ever were to buy ANY Naruto DVDs, I'd buy the Original Japanese imports, no matter the cost.

XanBcoo
Thu, 09-22-2005, 01:41 PM
The US release of the DVDs will contain the original japanese dialogue just like EVERY OTHER anime release in the US. This is not 4Kids.

Though they are releasing "edited" and "uncut" versions, so just wait for the uncut dvds.

Jaredster
Thu, 09-22-2005, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by: XanBcoo

Though they are releasing "edited" and "uncut" versions, so just wait for the uncut dvds.

or just download them right now...

XanBcoo
Thu, 09-22-2005, 03:10 PM
I already have i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

snapcase
Thu, 09-22-2005, 07:40 PM
I'll be making several backup copies of my fansub DVDs and CDs. Uncut versions still tend to have some edited content. Will have to wait and see if they would be worth getting.

Terracosmo
Thu, 09-22-2005, 08:35 PM
I can picture Oro being voiced by the same girl who voiced Freeza in DBZ

rofl

Mite Gai
Thu, 09-22-2005, 09:24 PM
If they make the VAs throat super dry before she does Orochimaru it could turn out OK lol.

aznroyale
Thu, 09-22-2005, 09:26 PM
have they gotton up to Sasuke yet? and how do they pronouce it?

The Heretic Azazel
Thu, 09-22-2005, 09:38 PM
They pronounce it just like the Japs, which surprises me.

XanBcoo
Thu, 09-22-2005, 10:18 PM
Yeah, they pronounce it correctly. (Also with the emphasis on the U-chiha in stead of u-CHEEha) - which is cool.

And

Originally posted by: aznroyale
have they gotton up to Sasuke yet?

Impressions from voices in episode 3:

Sasuke - sounds bored and aloof. Not angry or arrogant enough I think. No real problems.

umm 0.o

Also, lol at Oro/Freeza

benjaminz
Sat, 09-24-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by: Terracosmo
I can picture Oro being voiced by the same girl who voiced Freeza in DBZ

roflrofl, i cant stop laughing

-----

i remember a long time ago when we were discussing the naruto english dub opening and everyone got pissed off at the thought of something similar to the dragon ball z opening... too bad it's all reality now i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

sauce-kay

AlleyCat04
Sat, 09-24-2005, 08:32 PM
I don't know if anyone mention this yet but are they trying to make Naruto punch line "Believe It" or something I could have sworn he said it like 20 times in Ep. 4. Maybe it was just me.

Mae
Sat, 09-24-2005, 08:48 PM
OK, short rant. I caught an ep of the cartoon network version, the one where Naruto finds out who his teammates are, and has the infamous kiss with Sasuke. And they edited out the kiss. OK, editing some of violence I can see, but this is just gay. Or not gay. Whatever. I hate how American shows can't have anything that can possibly be deemed offensive to anyone, even something that is so obviously just silly comedy. This is why most American shows suck. They take out everything even vaguely interesting and leave bland, inoffensive oatmeal. So a show is violent, or is offensive to an interest group, or shows violence to animals, or smoking, or drinking, or anything the least bit controversial. So what? It's entertainment. Not Real. People are intelligent enough to know this. Go ahead, BE offensive, use sterotypes, swear, eat live turtles. If someone disagrees, well fine. They can complain. At least they'll have something interesting to talk about for a change instead of reruns of "Friends."

Not completely realted to the topic, but watching the ep made me remember why I don't watch network television. DIE ALL YOU PC BASTARDS!!!!

snapcase
Sat, 09-24-2005, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by: Mae
OK, short rant. I caught an ep of the cartoon network version, the one where Naruto finds out who his teammates are, and has the infamous kiss with Sasuke. And they edited out the kiss. OK, editing some of violence I can see, but this is just gay. Or not gay. Whatever. I hate how American shows can't have anything that can possibly be deemed offensive to anyone, even something that is so obviously just silly comedy. This is why most American shows suck. They take out everything even vaguely interesting and leave bland, inoffensive oatmeal. So a show is violent, or is offensive to an interest group, or shows violence to animals, or smoking, or drinking, or anything the least bit controversial. So what? It's entertainment. Not Real. People are intelligent enough to know this. Go ahead, BE offensive, use sterotypes, swear, eat live turtles. If someone disagrees, well fine. They can complain. At least they'll have something interesting to talk about for a change instead of reruns of "Friends."

Not completely realted to the topic, but watching the ep made me remember why I don't watch network television. DIE ALL YOU PC BASTARDS!!!!

I just watched that episode on CN and completely agree. I couldn't believe the edited out the "kiss" scene. The worst part of it though is not that they just edited it out, but that they tried to keep the joke the same. What they ended up with was a scene (while hilarious in the original version) that was trying to be funny even though they made it so nobody had much of a clue what the joke was, since the "kiss" was just barely implied. Apparently two guys staring each other down and being bumped into each others faces that made it seem like a kiss is just way to gay for American television. I can't wait to see what they do to the episodes where they have two boys holding hands, and this also doesn't give me much hope that Haku will be portrayed very well.

I can almost understand the editing of graphic violence, especially when you are trying to market this to a young audience, but they really take this shit too far.

On the note of the actual Dub work, there are actually a few good points in all the crap. One good point is that most of the main characters aren't doing too band of a job pronouncing Naruto's name. The little robot guy on Toonami does the worst job with his naRUdo. From what I've seen in this episode, Sasuke's VA does the best job with pronouncing Naruto. Sauske's voice is probably one of the best VA to character matches, maybe along with Iruka's voice work. (Though I wasn't paying much attention to Iruka's voice, and I've only seen the majority of this one episode.) On the bad side, Naurto's voice is horrible, Sakura's voice is your typical bad voice acting for an anime girl, Kakashi's voice does nothing to portray the actual character, the Hokage's voice also doesn't fit the character at all, and Shikamaru's voice once again just doesn't fit the character. When you read the interviews with the people who chose the VAs for this Dub, and read how they made sure to get voices that matched the characters really well, it only serves to show how incompetent these people are.

Ok, I'm done complaining for now.

yvliew
Sat, 09-24-2005, 11:19 PM
Destroy?????

XanBcoo
Sun, 09-25-2005, 01:14 AM
@Mae and Snapcase: While I do agree it was pretty stupid to edit out the actual seen of them touching lips, the joke was, for the most part, exactly the same. I'm with you 100% about the editing thing, and how dumb and useless it was for them to edit it out (seriously), but it didn't hurt the seen very much at all.

A guy bumbs into them, you see Naruto get knocked into Sasuke, it cuts to the girls' horrified expressions, you hear kissing noises, you see Naruto and Sasuke reching and spiting, you hear Sakura shout "I was supposed to be Sasuke's first kiss!"

Honestly, was it that hard to understand? Also, I don't belveive they're going to edit Haku's character very much, as the only possible "gay" scene was when Naruto was "hitting" on him. And even then, I can see them leaving that part in. Other than that, he's not really treated as a "gay" character.

@yvliew: lol, I noticed that too..."my ambition...is to DESTROY a certain man!"
rofl
I can see that even with a pg rating, the word "kill" is still somewhat of a taboo. Makes me wonder how they left in the first episode though 0.o

More about the Dub: Kakashi....

I cannot beleive this is Dave Wittenberg. He sounds totally different from any other role I've heard him in. Personally, I don't really like his "Kakashi" voice too much. I think other voice actors could have done a much better job with it. Like snapcase said, he doesn't do much to portray the character. Overall though, I don't think it was too bad. I hope to see some improvement as the series progresses however.

SFreedomZGMFx20a
Sun, 09-25-2005, 08:33 AM
Original voices rule, anything dubbed sucks big time.

Tiger of The wind
Wed, 09-28-2005, 08:08 PM
the part after the kiss when thier spitting and stuff and sasuke says naruto im gonna kill you or something like that that was pretty funny

a_odessey
Mon, 10-03-2005, 07:01 PM
if only they could just keep it with japenese, and english subs, WHY! are people that lazy that they can't stand reading it? the original voices are always so much better than the gay english dubs

Mite Gai
Mon, 10-03-2005, 07:14 PM
That's not necessarily true in all cases, I have seen some dubs I liked better than subs, and the best solution to the problem here would just be to unalter anime brought over except for the voice dubbing which should be done right.

XanBcoo
Mon, 10-03-2005, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by: a_odessey
if only they could just keep it with japenese, and english subs, WHY! are people that lazy that they can't stand reading it? the original voices are always so much better than the gay english dubs

And WHY should they keep it in Japanese? wtf does laziness have to do with anything? If you don't like the dub then just watch the fucking fansubs, or buy the dvds when they come out. If you haven't noticed, the dub isn't all that terrible. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

Eurasian
Mon, 10-03-2005, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by: a_odessey
Most of the anime shows broadcasted on Amercian television are dubbed, not subbed. They want a wide range of audience, including little children who might have trouble keeping up with the speed that the translations would be going at and people who just find it troublesome to be reading translations for 24 minutes (or however long each episode is).

Assassin
Mon, 10-03-2005, 08:28 PM
naruto's voice sucks....sakura and ino are done pretty well. kakashi and sasuke are ok, but they can be better,

i hate that they've taken out some scenes, like the naruto/sasuke kiss. that was one of the funniest scenes in the whole damn series, and they cut it and put some retarded kissing sound in its place. u cant hook an audiance if u take out the best material.

have they edited the sexy no jutsu scenes as well?

i just hope they keep 1000 years of pain. if they change that, it'll completly ruin the series for me.

XanBcoo
Mon, 10-03-2005, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by: Assassin
naruto's voice sucks....sakura and ino are done pretty well. kakashi and sasuke are ok, but they can be better,

i hate that they've taken out some scenes, like the naruto/sasuke kiss. that was one of the funniest scenes in the whole damn series, and they cut it and put some retarded kissing sound in its place. u cant hook an audiance if u take out the best material.

have they edited the sexy no jutsu scenes as well?

i just hope they keep 1000 years of pain. if they change that, it'll completly ruin the series for me.

1. No, they didn't edit the sexy no jutsu at all.
2. Yes, 1000 years of pain (or death) was left intact.
3. I would hardly call Naruto and Sasuke's kiss the "best material" but even then, the joke was pretty much the same - just with 1 shot missing.
4. I agree with your opinion of the dub. I still don't like Naruto's voice that much.

masamuneehs
Mon, 10-03-2005, 11:24 PM
I'll agree that Naruto's voice is getting a little annoying, but I have to dissent and say that I think the English VA is doing a pretty good job with Kakashi. No I never expect the English dub to be anywhere near as good as the Japanese voice acting, so maybe i'm willing to overlook slight flaws in it.

And there was no way they'd leave in a same-sex kiss in this time slot. It's still a kids network, they're still largely trying to market Naruto to young American kids. Can you imagine the anger many intollerant parents would have if they saw the actual kiss? (sure they'll still be pissed by the prescence of the gag, which is still there, but at least the Network can say 'we editted it! i don't know what else you want us to do' and cover their asses)

Cyberdude93
Tue, 10-04-2005, 12:10 PM
Censors for homophobes make me sad.

Although my opinion is pretty much this:

While I do agree it was pretty stupid to edit out the actual seen of them touching lips, the joke was, for the most part, exactly the same. I'm with you 100% about the editing thing, and how dumb and useless it was for them to edit it out (seriously), but it didn't hurt the seen very much at all.

Anyway, this dub is doing kick-ass edit wise. True, it'll get less bloody, but it's not like people are being sent to dungeons and weapons are being edited to big hands (ala One Piece).

I'm really looking forward to episode 6. Here, we should see if Kazekage and the others will remain that, or if they'll translate them. Also I want to see the Naruto hand-stabbing scene; I read in another forum that Anime Insider said they'd keep (all) the blood there. I have a feeling they might shorten the contact time, but meh.

I still want to know what Sharingan and Byakugan will be called. I'm not saying "OMG FOREIGN LANGUAGE IS AUTOMATICALLY BETTER", but "White eyes" is a bit long winded. And they ARE keeping Jutsu, Shinobi, Nin/Gen/Taijutsu.

XanBcoo
Tue, 10-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Then it stands to reason that they will keep the names of the Kage as well. I'm not too worried about that. Though if later on they're using "copy wheel eye" or "white eyes" then ShoPro will bleed. And then they will have to edit out that blood.

Next episode: Tazuna (and I think Zabuza - at the end).

The Heretic Azazel
Tue, 10-04-2005, 01:46 PM
Aren't they referring to the Hokage as just Kage? How will they differentiate when the other Kages are brought in?

XanBcoo
Tue, 10-04-2005, 02:15 PM
Umm...no, they refer to the Hokage as Hokage.

Then it stands to reason that they will keep the names of the Kage as well.
That was just me saying "kage" as in "all the kages" (You don't add "s" in japanese to make it plural - I was just being anal). i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Koyuki
Tue, 10-04-2005, 03:24 PM
I watched the trailer for CN. I'm glad I can't watch it, but I kinda want to download an episode just to watch...

XanBcoo
Wed, 10-05-2005, 12:58 AM
Get them here (http://www.torrentspy.com/search.asp?query=naruto+dub&submit.x=0&submit.y=0) . <--this was posted earlier in this thread.

But don't watch it because you won't enjoy it. If you're not already a fan of dubs, then you won't like watching it to begin with. I'd say so far it's a decent B+ dub though.

Edort4
Wed, 10-05-2005, 10:30 AM
I know there are a lot of funs and that some ppl really likes to see naruto in their language, even with that in mind i must say that im dissapointed with the dub. Too many editting, not sounds at all, actors dont interpret the scenes. On the first chapter where naruto and iruka where crying their voices sounded plain, not acting at all!

I dont have the original naruto at hand but i would say that they edited the sexy jutsu, i believe that they edited the blood from the noses. Again I cant compare but i think that they editted too much there are a lot more of still images. The opening is pretty bad, just changed it to give the audience the sense of the series being crapstacular.
And voices... i dont really like any1 of it, maybe my opinion is influenced by the fact that here in my country we have 1 of the best dubbers of the world (sometimes even better than original voices), i was hopping for a much better adaptation, but still i like to see it, i just cant stop laughing with every new voice i discover and the changes i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

I give the dub a 5.5/10

ChaosK
Wed, 10-05-2005, 02:05 PM
the only cool thing was kakashi, he's voice is semi cool and he pronounced everything right (besides for genin, chunnin and jounin being -GEN-nin-CHUN-nin-JOUN-nin

ChaosK
Wed, 10-05-2005, 02:05 PM
the only cool thing was kakashi, he's voice is semi cool and he pronounced everything right (besides for genin, chunnin and jounin being -GEN-nin-CHUN-nin-JOUN-nin

XanBcoo
Wed, 10-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Yeah, it seems everyone screwed up the names of the ranks. Whatever.

I think Kakashi's voice fits, but I don't like his performance. I missed ep. 5 so I didn't get to hear his "lower than trash" speach. I hope he pulled it off well. I'm just suprised that this is the same VA from Onegai Teacher and Ai Yori Aoshi.

Sounds completely different.

kenren
Fri, 10-07-2005, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the links Xan.
i guess i'll try episode 1.hope it wont suck.

Knives122
Sat, 10-08-2005, 11:51 PM
one question: is it me or am I the only one hearing Naruto say "Believe it" alot. I think out of the american dub(of any anime) that has to be the most annoying thing I have ever heard(I guess we know what replaced dattebayo)

aznroyale
Sun, 10-09-2005, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by: mage

its sucks balls hard

Assertn
Sun, 10-09-2005, 04:20 PM
haha lmfao @ the naruto stabbing his hand with kunai scene
all they did was show a closeup fps view of the kunai approaching the screen then do a dramatic zoom as the screen turns red instead of actually seeing the kunai puncture his hand

also.....anyone else notice in the episode lineup that they showed a picture of kidoumaru? o.O

XanBcoo
Sun, 10-09-2005, 08:03 PM
Damn, I missed this week's episode!

Anyone with any knowledge of dubs care to give me an overview of what it was like?

Edit: And I'm being serious. Don't just post "it sucks" or some shit like that.

Kensee
Sun, 10-09-2005, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by: Knives122
one question: is it me or am I the only one hearing Naruto say "Believe it" alot. I think out of the american dub(of any anime) that has to be the most annoying thing I have ever heard(I guess we know what replaced dattebayo)

I was playing GUNZ online (was bored, decided to go double revolver style on some expert wannabees) and these kids kept going "OMG I just saw Naruto!! Sasuke is soo cool! ROFLMAOMGLOL!!1" ...
Then, they kept saying a nice lil quote they heard from the show, and they repeated it for 30 minutes till I left.

That quote was ...
"Believe it!"

... it got annoying fast. And when I did watch the dubed version, it kinda did get annoying as well. Iono I'm not a big fan of naruto's voice in the dubbed version of it.

XanBcoo
Sun, 10-09-2005, 09:43 PM
Perhaps the Japanese think the same thing when they hear "datebayo"?

Who knows. Still waiting for an opinion of the dub of episode 6.

heero
Sun, 10-09-2005, 10:55 PM
i watched the dub for 3 seconds and quit watching because of Naruto's annoying 3 year old voice

Jurojin
Mon, 10-10-2005, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by: AssertnFailure
haha lmfao @ the naruto stabbing his hand with kunai scene
all they did was show a closeup fps view of the kunai approaching the screen then do a dramatic zoom as the screen turns red instead of actually seeing the kunai puncture his hand

also.....anyone else notice in the episode lineup that they showed a picture of kidoumaru? o.O

I caught that as well AssertnFailure- So does that mean they have up to the Konoha assault, or the Sasuke-chase arc? I don't recall him being sighted beforehand.

Assertn
Mon, 10-10-2005, 02:54 PM
im sure they have access to all the raws
but kidoumaru first appears during the oro/sarutobi fight

as far as this episode goes......naruto's voice was the only one that really bugged me....he's just too....loud......
we got to hear gatoh, the demon bros, zabuza and tazuna's voices this time......they all seemed reasonably accurate

oh, and aside from naruto stabbing himself, they also changed the black and red scene of kakashi being ripped to shreds by the demon bros to be black and blue.....i guess its less violent that way? o.O

XanBcoo
Mon, 10-10-2005, 04:16 PM
lol, black and blue...

I would have to agree with Naruto's voice. It's the only one I don't like still. Thanks Assertn.

I'm really excited to hear Blum as Zabuza. Can't wait for this Saturday.

masamuneehs
Mon, 10-10-2005, 06:00 PM
I'm conforming with the general consensus. Naruto's voice blows, the rest aren't too terrible.. The edits have been pretty reasonable and I figured there'd be lots of violence that the editors wouldn't be willing to leave in...

Oh, I dunno why it hit me recently and not earlier, but I've come to hate Sasuke's voice. Anyone else agree that he sounds way too old and that his 'seriousness' is just too damn forced and serious to be believable?

XanBcoo
Tue, 10-11-2005, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by: masamuneehs
Oh, I dunno why it hit me recently and not earlier, but I've come to hate Sasuke's voice. Anyone else agree that he sounds way too old and that his 'seriousness' is just too damn forced and serious to be believable?

Yeah, I agree. Though I don't hate him.

I just think they're making him sound too arrogant. LIke a little bitch who thinks he's better than everyone. He's got a high and mighty tone that was never present to me in the jap dub. It bugs me a little, but I think it's passable.

Kensee
Tue, 10-11-2005, 02:40 AM

Yeah, I agree. Though I don't hate him.

I just think they're making him sound too arrogant. LIke a little bitch who thinks he's better than everyone. He's got a high and mighty tone that was never present to me in the jap dub. It bugs me a little, but I think it's passable.

And what do you think he is?

arrogant. LIke a little bitch who thinks he's better than everyone.

BELIEVE IT!

XanBcoo
Tue, 10-11-2005, 02:57 AM
In the jap dub (from what I can tell), he sounds more like he's got a chip on his shoulder about everything, and honestly beleives everyone sucks.

In English, he sounds like a snobby rich boy. I dunno, the difference is small, but still noticeable.

Psyke
Sat, 10-15-2005, 10:08 AM
I've just gotten around watching the dubbed version of episode one. And now I know what you guys are talking about. It really is THAT bad. The opening/ending sequence was totally disappointing. Luckily I don't have to watch this anymore and anywhere else i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Terracosmo
Sat, 10-15-2005, 10:18 AM
As some of you have already figured out, "believe it" is what they replaced "dattebayo" with.

I don't know which one is more annoying. Worst main character ever.

^^

Haven't watched the actual dub yet, will have to check it out. :S

Assassin
Sat, 10-15-2005, 02:11 PM
i dont understand y they had to translate 'dattebayo' and put it in there as well. it doesnt serve any useful purpose. like like 'dawg' into japanese.

The Heretic Azazel
Sat, 10-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Come on, you don't think believe it is worse than dawg, do you?

snapcase
Sat, 10-15-2005, 05:22 PM
I just saw a commercial for upcoming episodes on CN, and it seems that the little robot guy that hosts Toonami is finally starting to pronounce "Naruto" correctly. He even rolled the "R".

Deblas
Sat, 10-15-2005, 08:30 PM
Hey! Zabuza's voice is the same guy who did Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop(always keep forgetting his name) or I really think it is. He's really a good VA for any dub anime. I like how he is doing it. I think it fits Zabuza.

XanBcoo
Sun, 10-16-2005, 02:58 AM
DAMN! Steven Blum is so awesome as Zabuza!

He uses this really evil snarl when speaking - much like his role as Mugen in Champloo. He is just perfect for the Zabuza's part and pulls it off 100% perfectly. Heh, I guess I called it way back in the first post of this topic XD.

I think I'm going to start enjoying the dub much more now that he is in it.

@Deblas: yeah, he plays Spike. He also goes under the name David Lucas. Look him up on AnimeNewsNetwork. He's probably the most prolific voice actor there is, so you're bound to have heard of him before.

- #1 Steven Blum Fanboy.

I just saw a commercial for upcoming episodes on CN, and it seems that the little robot guy that hosts Toonami is finally starting to pronounce "Naruto" correctly
He damn well better, as Tom (the robot guy) is also played by Blum.

i dont understand y they had to translate 'dattebayo' and put it in there as well. it doesnt serve any useful purpose. like like 'dawg' into japanese.
Because they're trying to remain as faithful as possible to the original japanese dub. I, for one, am so impressed with the English dub so far. The quality of the acting is somewhat questionable (with the obvious exception of Zabuza ^^), but MAN they are really catering to the fans in their treatment of the script. They are keeping all of the original terms and phrases. They even kept the word "dojustu" in episode 7, along with "sharingan" (I was half afraid they'd resort to saying "copy wheel eye"). The fact that they acknowledge Naruto's unique speech pattern by adding a word to the end of the sentences shows they're treating it professionally.

Well done Viz.

Knives122
Sun, 10-16-2005, 04:20 AM
Steven Blum = The Sam Jackson of VA

I was suprised they pronounced sharingan pretty well in the ep, sasukes acting seemed a little forced again but that can be fixed.

The Heretic Azazel
Sun, 10-16-2005, 11:00 AM
I finally caught an episode with Zabuza and god damn he's awesome.

XanBcoo
Sun, 10-16-2005, 01:33 PM
He most certainly is.

I also forgot to mention Tazuna (played by Sparky Thorton). I'd say he fits the role pretty well. I was expecting a Saito/Jin voice from him - like he's done in other roles, but he's going for the cooky-old-guy voice. Which is cool 'cause it fits. His acting has no problems that I can see so far.

sasukes acting seemed a little forced again
lol, especially during Sasuke's "I'm gonna kill myself" monologue. Ah well, at least the voice fits him.

masamuneehs
Mon, 10-17-2005, 01:15 AM
I wish oh how I wish they'd gotten Steven Blum to do a different character. (think he would have made the perfect Kakashi) But he did Zabuza damn well.

I haven't really been watching the dub too often, just don't find Naruto's voice pallatable... (enough's been said about Sasuke's VA already by others...) but found it really sorta funny that they have Blum and Sparky Thorton pair up in this arc, just because it always makes me think about Cowboy Bebop and them as Spike and Jet) and it was really pretty enjoyable watching this episode of Naruto and thinking back to the very first time I ever saw it, as this was the point where I started really loving this show...

EDIT It's Champloo that I was thinking of with Thorton and Blum together... my bad...

XanBcoo
Mon, 10-17-2005, 01:28 AM
@Masamuneehs:
1. Yeah, I kinda wish he had done Kakashi too. He fits the role pretty well, plus we'd get to hear more of him past episode 19.

2. Sparky Thorton doesn't play Jet. Jet is played by Beau Billingslea (I think) - an old black guy i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif. But Thorton and Blum do have roles together in various anime - like in Champloo. They're both cool.

3. Yes, the Wave Arc rules so much it's not even funny.

Edit: Here's Beau Billingslea's ANN page: Beau Billingslea (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=4331)

Come to think of it, I hope he gets a role in Naruto. He'd be the PERFECT Jiraiya imo. *crosses fingers*

Necromas
Mon, 10-17-2005, 06:24 AM
Blum pronounces sharingan so wierd, since he's the first so say it, he was like "blah blah blah SHINING-GUN eye blah blah" I was like WTF!!!

Then I heard the others say it and they pronounced it fine.

mage
Mon, 10-17-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by: Necromas
Blum pronounces sharingan so wierd, since he's the first so say it, he was like "blah blah blah SHINING-GUN eye blah
lollololofaloafffafxg

Please go back and read the rules again. If everyone made a post just to say 'lol' or the equivalent when they found something funny, you'd have to scroll through pages to get to the next post with content. So please do the forum a favour and save your posting for when you have something worthwhile to say. This doesn't just go for mage, but everyone in the Naruto forum since quite a few of you have a tendency to do this.

GotWoot Moderator

Nin10doman
Sat, 10-22-2005, 08:22 PM
Wow, I love this absolute refusal to say the word "kill." It has to be "destroy" and "annihilate" instead, because those are sooo much nicer.

Steve Blum still kicks ass, though.

XanBcoo
Sun, 10-23-2005, 02:40 AM
Thoughts on episode 8's dub:

Although Blum kicks-ass, I think his performance was a little overdone in this episode. During his speach about the Mist Academy graduation test, he sounded way too dramatic (That is, in comparison to the japanese dub). He talked so slowly, annunciating the word "ninja" every chance he got. Sounded a bit like an old Saturday morning cartoon villian. In Japanese, Zabuza spoke of all the deaths quite normally, as if it were a matter of course, and then laughed sadistically, recalling the "good old days" of the test. I'm not saying Blum's perfomance was bad, I just didn't like the way he went about it.

Another thing I noticed: wtf is with them calling Tazuna "bridge builder"?? The guy has a name. They should use it!

@Nin10doman: It's pretty weird they don't say "kill" anymore. Naruto said it in the first episode, but now they've resorted to using the words "destroyed", "taken down", and the like. Dunno why that is...

And, as much as I dislike Mael Flannigan as Naruto, his speech when he got back his head protector from Zabuza sent chills through me. But this has little to do with the dub. That scene is just pure awesome IMO, and it would affect me the same way in any language i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Necromas
Sun, 10-23-2005, 08:35 PM
I like how they still kept the blood comming from their mouths in, this might be the bloodiest show to ever hit cartoon network, we are making history people!

KoKo37
Tue, 10-25-2005, 02:49 AM
well pretty much anyone will be better then the current voices imo, naruto sounds like a girl with a sore throat in the english one -.- lol but i hope Richard Cox isn't in the voice's i really hate his voice its so irratating lol and i wonder waht orchi's voice will sound like? il prob be disapointed cause teh jap voice for orchi was godly lol.

also im on ytv so there just starting the mission in the english verion for me T.T

XanBcoo
Tue, 10-25-2005, 09:32 AM
LOL watch Richard Cox play Orochimaru.

I wouldn't worry though. So far none of the cast (to my knowledge) from Inuyasha has been on Naruto. They're using another voice studio. So far I think they're doing ok, with the exception of a few voices.

Liquid Echo
Tue, 10-25-2005, 09:06 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0409591/

apparently Tony Danza has the part

XanBcoo
Sat, 10-29-2005, 09:56 PM
Man, episode 9 was pretty cool. Haku showed up and I must say I really like the voice they picked for him. I don't know who the voice actress is yet, but it sounds a LOT like the woman who plays Motoko Kusanagi on Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. I'd say the only problem with her voice is that maybe she sounds a bit too mature, but then again, she still sounds very similar to the original japanese actress IMO.

Also, another really cool thing: They kept the chanting in Japanese during the Water Dragon Jutsu-thing part. That was really cool. I'll say it again, Viz has got the fans in mind with this dub. Excellent.

As for everything else. Same old same old. Naruto's VA sucks and any emotion portrayed by the actors comes off terribly. They've either got no emotion or they try to hard and make it sound corny. Blah.

Waiting for next week!

The Heretic Azazel
Sat, 10-29-2005, 11:01 PM
Maybe the voices will evolve as the VAs become accustomed to what it should sound like, but I agree, all around the Naruto dub is really good.

I just wish Blum got a bigger part than Zabuza.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 11-01-2005, 05:30 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Blum does more than one voice on the show. I mean, he's the adaptation writer. So he can probably take any parts he wants.

The Heretic Azazel
Tue, 11-01-2005, 10:28 AM
That's true.. he might make a nice Oro.

It's probably bordering on impossible to please me with Oro's English VA though, whoever it is. His Jap voice actor suits him perfectly. Like a snake.

Liquid Echo
Wed, 11-02-2005, 12:24 AM
Damn, they changed it... Well I checked the google cache, I'm NOT crazy, they just went and changed the thing..............

cache (http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:jGw_VkmEllkJ:www.imdb.com/title/tt0409591/+&hl=en)

XanBcoo
Wed, 11-02-2005, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by: Liquid Echo
Damn, they changed it... Well I checked the google cache, I'm NOT crazy, they just went and changed the thing..............

cache (http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:jGw_VkmEllkJ:www.imdb.com/title/tt0409591/+&hl=en)

Those are completely unreliable, fansubmitted cast listings. I'd stop relying on them now. Animenewsnetwork.com is your best bet in finding the correct cast, but almost no info on Oro's VA is out there just yet. We're just gonna have to wait.

And yes, Blum would be a good Orochimaru.

Jurojin
Wed, 11-02-2005, 11:12 AM
And yes, Blum would be a good Orochimaru.

I disagree. Sure, Blum is good in most everything he does, but we need someone more snakey for it. I seriously think Blum as Oro would be very much miscasted. Too deep a voice.

However, not a single english VA comes to mind that qualifies as "snakey" but "badass" when I try to think of one, so that has me worried.

<3 Oro-sama's JVA. If they could just keep his voice in there and leave in subtitles or something, that would be best (for me i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif)

Assertn
Wed, 11-02-2005, 12:15 PM
I could settle for the guy that did Legato's dub voice for oro. At least he's got the tone down.

Jurojin
Wed, 11-02-2005, 01:48 PM
Legato of Trigun, I presume?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co...dia/people.php?id=1139 (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=1139)

Hmmm.....

I'll have to check something to try and remember his voice when I get home.

Assertn
Wed, 11-02-2005, 01:54 PM
the one and only

XanBcoo
Wed, 11-02-2005, 03:16 PM
I loved Richard Hayworth as Kenshin and Legato - but I'm not for him doing Orochimaru. I really hope they suprise us with him, but chances are they'll screw it up. Orochimaru in English will NOT sound like he does in Japanese. Kujira's voice is too unique for even other jap VA's to pull off (in my opinion). But even if it does not sound similar, if a good voice actor could bring something new to the role then I would be all for it.

Ero-Fan
Wed, 11-02-2005, 06:37 PM
I think Legato's VA would be better as Itachi than as Orochimaru. The way he did Legato seemed very calm and condescending in trigun, and I think he would be a perfect fit for Itachi. I would love it when he speaks down to sauske in that same tone of voice.

Edit: God, I went thru all my dubbed anime (not as much as I'd like) and I couldn't find one va i would like as Orochimaru.

masamuneehs
Wed, 11-02-2005, 07:13 PM
First, welcome Ero-Fan!

Second, I don't know who they'll pick to do Orochimaru, but I was thinking somewhere along the lines of the guy who played Cobra Commander. That's probably what we're going to get, some guy who sounds like he has a head cold and a lisp rather than Kujira's sick-as-hell snake voice. They can only surprise me, because I have am very confident that the English VA will be a far cry from anything fitting our lofty standards.

Ero-Fan
Wed, 11-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Thanks Masa. Yeah, I for one personally like the subbed version better than the dubbed. Naruto's voice makes me cringe. I just hate the fact that cartoon network and the adult swim branch of it refuses to do subbed anime. I think it would solve alot of problems, and frankly, if they had put this in the as lineup, they wouldn't of had to edit so much of the blood out of the series.

XanBcoo
Wed, 11-02-2005, 10:26 PM
I don't see what problems would be solved by them airing it subbed. I can't think of a "problem" with the dub at all, save for people's opinions on the voice acting. And even then, we fans that have been watching it for so long have the original VAs stuck in our mind and nothing will every truly fit that predisposition. Masamuneehs said it well:

I am very confident that the English VA will be a far cry from anything fitting our lofty standards
I'll say it again, always assume this. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Much earlier in this topic someone suggested Crispin Freeman playing Itachi. I really like that. Maybe he can play both Itachi and Ebisu. I think he'd fit the role pretty well. Orochimaru...well, I guess we'll just have to be suprised.

XanBcoo
Sun, 11-06-2005, 07:55 PM
Double posting for my weekly gripe about the Dub. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Episode 10 introduced Inari. And while I'm happy that he is voiced by Mona Marshall (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=3029) (most memorable for me as Izzy on Digimon, and a VERY experienced anime VA), I really didn't like her performance as Inari. She emoted way too much for most of Inari's few lines in this episode. Example, when Inari tells his mom and grandpa that Team 7 is going to fail. In Japanese, Inari delivered the line pretty deadpan, as if he was just brushing it off as a matter of cours: "oh...well, they're going to die." I really preferred this over Marshall's "Mom! Grandpa! They're going to DIE!" This probably didn't bother anyone else, but I found the difference in delivery pretty jarring.

Looking back, I can see that most of my problems have been with the voice actors over-emoting. Otherwise, I'm still enjoying it (with the usual exception of Naruto's voice).

Oh, and I'm kinda pissed that Mona Marshall is playing Inari. I was really hoping they'd choose her to play Gaara later on. Ah well.

DB_Hunter
Sun, 11-06-2005, 08:30 PM
Legato sounded like a dickhead after hearing the same voice as Kenshin.

masamuneehs
Sun, 11-06-2005, 08:49 PM
I actually thought Legato's voice was very well done in the Trigun dub... Just as melancholy and soft as the Japanese. I think Kenshin was a very different kind of role to play, and had alot more emotional parts to do. It makes sense that people would think Legato sounded 'lame' in comparison with Kenshin, but I don't think we can say Hayworth did a better or worse job with either of them (or, if you do, its just opinion) its like comparing apples and oranges.

And yeah, what can I say about the over-emoting in American dubs? It pisses me off as well... They make everything out to be a big deal, and sometimes it really clashes with the atmosphere developed by the animation. I also feel that over-emoting makes the show sorta trivial, because that amount of emotion simply isn't realistic. It's like the Naruto fillers trying to be serious, its a weak farce, at best, and it tends to cause people to roll their eyes rather than go "wow. you could really feel that character's emotion"

Ero-Fan
Tue, 11-15-2005, 07:34 AM
Hey, I just read that Tara Platt was going to do the va for Temari. Anyone got an opinion on her? The name doesn't ring a bell. Anybody know if she did any va before this? Just curious as to how she will sound.

XanBcoo
Tue, 11-15-2005, 08:47 PM
Tara Platt (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=26532)

I've never heard of this woman either. I've never seen any of the other anime she's been in. I just hope she has a nice tomboyish voice for Temari.

EDIT:

HAHA!!! Kyle Hebert (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=1390) is going to play Kiba! fucking awesome! For anyone who doesn't know, Kyle is a Funimation veteran. He's best known as the announcer on DBZ as well as teenage and adult Gohan. Not sure if it'll fit, but I love this guy's voice.

The Heretic Azazel
Tue, 11-15-2005, 09:12 PM
I just realized Naruto sounds just like childhood Goku/Gohan in the dub.

XanBcoo
Tue, 11-15-2005, 09:43 PM
Kyle Hebert's website (http://www.kylehebert.com/). Looks like he has the same agent as Crispin Freeman and Steven Blum. No wonder he was casted on Naruto. Pretty cool. His site also contains a collection of voice demos, if anyone wants to hear his voice. Listening to his "animation" demos, you can really hear that he's a pretty good actor with a great range. I think he'll be able to pull off Kiba pretty well.

Tara Platt's website (http://www.taraplatt.com/default.php). No voice demos, but plenty of pictures. And might I say, much like her new role in Naruto, the girl is HOT.
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/9323/tara2cj.jpg

@Azazel: Young Goku and Naruto do sound a lil' similar, but Naruto is way more hoarse and annoying. I actually enjoy Goku/Gohan's English voices.

bagandscalpel
Sun, 11-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Naruto's voice does INDEED need work... However, the rest of the cast is rather good.

This coming from someone who makes it a point to watch only subs.

But, in actuality, this post is but a bump.

Lefty
Sun, 11-27-2005, 10:34 PM
Naruto's voice is the only one thats really misscast, it's too frigging raspy. Everybody else works.

XanBcoo
Sun, 11-27-2005, 10:34 PM
Well bumped bagandscalpel. And yeah, Naruto sounds like he smokes or something 0.o

The ep on Toonami last night was the one where Haku first uses his Crystal Ice Mirror Jutsu. Nothing much to say of the voices. I think they're already beginning to grow into their roles. Not one line made me cringe because of its corniness or anything.

Oh, and for anyone who gives a shiet about the dub, Gaara's voice actor was announced: Liam O'Brien (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=1438)

I know this guy best as Asaba from His and Her Circumstances. He also plays Joachim in Castlevania: Lament of Innocence. Personally, I think the voice is a very good fit. He sounds a lot like Richard Hayworth, so I'm guessing we can expect a Legato type voice from him.

Phoenix20578
Sun, 11-27-2005, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by: Lefty
Naruto's voice is the only one thats really misscast, it's too frigging raspy. Everybody else works.

Agreed. I wouldn't mind if all of a sudden the voice changed and sounded good.

XanBcoo
Sat, 12-03-2005, 09:42 PM
Episode 14: Uneventful episode but the English voices are remaining pretty good. I'm getting used to them, at least. My opinion now is that Zabuza, Haku, and Kakashi's voices are the best of the dub so far. Even though Haku's VA is new to anime, she resembles the original Japanese voice so much it's uncanny, and her acting isn't half-bad either. Viz made a good choice with her.

Also, once again, Viz pulls through and leaves another translation intact: Kekkei Genkai. Just like in the manga, they use both the original Japanese phrase and the translation of "Bloodline Trait" which isn't exact, but close enough. Very nice.

Also, Sam Regal (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=14772), has just been listed on ANN as Shino's voice actor. Don't know him too well except that he does Lil' Slugger on Paranoia Agent, but I don't remember his voice at all.

ChaosK
Sat, 12-03-2005, 10:58 PM
kakashi's voice acctually has a certain sense of mystery to it...but then again i only saw the survival training episode. i HATE naruto's voice...its absoultely horrible.

The Heretic Azazel
Sun, 12-04-2005, 01:42 AM
They even said kunoichi for a female ninja.

I guess half of you won't be happy until they air it with subtitles though.

masamuneehs
Sun, 12-04-2005, 12:20 PM
I guess half of you won't be happy until they air it with subtitles though.

Yes. That's about right...

I am pretty open to English VAs and dubs in general... but there's always a couple major flaws that just make my hair stand on end and then I end up cursing the Dub and their retarded VAs... Its not my fault they can't satisfy my high standards.

The Heretic Azazel
Sun, 12-04-2005, 12:48 PM
I think if one voice improved in this episode it would be Sasuke's, because for a little while there I wasn't sure his bland VA was going to sound decent when yelling or showing emotion.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 12-04-2005, 05:19 PM
Its not my fault they can't satisfy my high standards.

I can't imagine who's fault it is if not your owns as to where your standards are.

XanBcoo
Sun, 12-04-2005, 05:37 PM
It's his fault for having those standards, but the dub's fault for not meeting them.

I must admit my standards were pretty high for this dub in particular, but so far I've come to accept it. It's far from perfect because Every now and then there is a translation or a delivery of a line that is pretty grating. This is something that doesn't happen in good dubs, but I think part of that comes from the fact that we're all so used to the original VAs (this point was made earlier in the thread).

I think if one voice improved in this episode it would be Sasuke's, because for a little while there I wasn't sure his bland VA was going to sound decent when yelling or showing emotion.
I noticed that too. I'm really looking forward to his "death" scene to see how meester Lowenthall can pull it off.

Ero-Fan
Mon, 12-05-2005, 07:53 AM
Anybody else feel that the eng dub ver of Naruto will die as soon as it catches up to the current filler arc we're in now? I can barely stand these fillers right now. I can't imagine the pain of seeing them in english as well.....