PDA

View Full Version : Futakoi Alternative

AfroMain
Wed, 05-11-2005, 12:00 AM
Anybody Else watching this recently released show (I think its up to episode 3..)? The first episode gave this cool Guy Ritchie film feel (you know, Snatch, Lock Stock&2 Smoking Barrels) and --dare I say it-- sorta reminded me of FLCL (the greatest anime ever, if you didn't know). But 2&3 were kind of dissappointing in that they didn't have the same frantic energy of the first.

complich8
Wed, 05-11-2005, 12:33 AM
I'm not just watching it. I'm subbing it :-p.

4 has some frantic energy. 2 and 3 were slower, "depth" episodes i think. 4 was definitely a return to crazy action, which is where that series belongs.

You'll see it out soon.

hopeknight
Wed, 05-11-2005, 02:05 AM
I love this series, it's WAY better than the original Futakoi. I was hooked right from the opening credits.

Hey complich8, I didn't know you're a fansubber, that's cool. What group do you work with?

complich8
Wed, 05-11-2005, 05:28 PM
I used to be aone (look for my name in the "qc" credits in naruto anywhere between 40 and the anbu-aone split, and as editor when aone was soloing it -- or the first 1/4 of gungrave, or the last half of Haibane and L/R. There's a bunch of other stuff I've worked on too ... I think I put in somewhere between 150 and 200 episodes worth of qc and/or editing for aone over the last couple years.

I've largely retired though. I'm working on FA for AnY right now because the project leader begged me to, but I'm not working on anything else. There's nothing else around that I think I'd enjoy working on as much these days.

rix117
Wed, 05-11-2005, 10:48 PM
what is the name of this series and where can we get it?

complich8
Thu, 05-12-2005, 12:12 AM
see thread's name.

see animesuki series list.

Are you paying attention at all?

AfroMain
Thu, 05-12-2005, 09:03 AM
Oh man I'm glad to see that this series is going to get more exciting again, since I really enjoyed that first episode. On a side note, what was the deal with the first set of twins they showed (those two little girls battling the tentacle bukkake monster thing)? Has anyone watched the original Futakoi (I haven't...but should I?)?

monkeyman
Thu, 05-12-2005, 11:22 AM
the original was completly different. It was a romance i think sooo and to answere you question the set of twins he's living with and the set of twins that were fighting the monster were both in love with him in the original. You can watch the original if you want to but there isn't much action in that one.

Kardiva
Wed, 05-25-2005, 12:28 PM
i watched the first episode and i reallly liked it. i already have eps 2 and 3 so i'm going to watch those today. thanks for the post about them, cause i wouldnt have dl'ed it otherwise. thanks for the info on the other set of twins, because i was wondering.

Fiss240
Sun, 11-27-2005, 11:35 PM
I really like this series, anyone else here watching it? Ive watched the 12 episodes that are out and I think it has flown under the radar. Really an excellent and unique series, I highly recommend it.

Fiss240
Sat, 12-03-2005, 03:45 AM
Final episode is out. This was a really fun 13 episode series, its style sets it apart from anything else I have watched. This anime has a fun plot with alot of origionality in it, superb animimation and sound, and a cast that is both enjoyable and well developed. I have never seen another series that can mash together so many moods in 13 episodes and have it not only work but be outstanding. This series will give you intense action, hilarious comedy, serious drama, and total relaxation. And twins. haha

Really though, its hard to put the entirety of this series into words, you need to watch it. Futakoi Alternative is my favorite out of the 60+ anime series I have watched, #1, ichiban.

redemption2
Mon, 12-05-2005, 02:38 PM
Well it finally happened, AnimeYuki finally spat out the last Futakoi Alternative.

Quite honestly, I was rather disappointed. From what I read in NewType, I was supposed to expect gunfights, action, excitement, and instead I get a shitload of angst and the three main characters lying around.

They needed to make this a 26 episode series really, so they could develop the other characters more and create a better action plot. The Ai and Mai pair only lasted one episode and I couldn't tell if that was in the past or present. The pet-loving twins only lasted one episode, and we only saw that maltese puppy twice (one little clip in the last episode). Kira and Yura were the best, sweet yet violent, much better than the original Kira and Yura. Then the original Futakoi twins only lasted for one episode, wtf is that all about? I loved Sumeriko-chan! Ruru and Rara wound up doing absolute jack shit. They were just there to be cute and observe for no apparent reason. At least I was hoping they'd join in the fight at the end. Although I did like the development of Sara and Soujuu from the original Futakoi... there was a lot more that could have been done if it was extended.

And let's not forget Rentarou, the new guy. Personally, I don't think anyone could have done the voice better than Yzak, but I gotta ask, how did he manage to dodge all those missiles left and right in midair without kicking off something first? He got Vernier engines in his ass or something? Or maybe that jacket was supposed to be the Assault Shroud, lol.

In the end, this one tasted like cold ramen to me. I personally feel let down. The original Futakoi had a lot of angst in the later episodes that were really heartwrenching, and yet in the end it was just a return to normalcy. Alternative had a happier ending, but it was so bizzare that I couldn't really enjoy it. "Are you happy?" WTF type of ending line is that?

*sigh* Oh well, my rant is over. Sorry, but I couldn't help voice my op.

Fiss240
Mon, 12-05-2005, 04:53 PM
I think your expecting too much from characters that dont have much to do with the story. The other twins really have nothing to do with the main plot or characters (rentaro, souju and sara) they are just clients or characters that could have easily been replaced by a single person with no similarities without changing the story at all. Explaining them any further would have been a waste of time. This is a Romance series first, and a comedy series next, if you want girls with guns its better to look elsewhere. All of the Ika Fire battles are representations of the struggle to maintain relationships. Action is a tool used to reveal the personalities and desires of the characters.