PDA

View Full Version : Which anime has the best music

Kardiva
Thu, 05-05-2005, 11:56 PM
I really like the music from Samurai champloo and Naruto.I haven't heard any other music quite like the music from champloo, if you havent heard it you should check it out. Anyone else feel strongly about music from any other anime series? I'm always open to some new music too

shoot i didnt mean to makr that as the answer

Moved to General Anime.

GotWoot Moderator

badass
Fri, 05-06-2005, 12:41 AM
Cowboy Bebop.

Mut
Fri, 05-06-2005, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by: badass
Cowboy Bebop.
Game over. Everyone can go home now.

Roko
Fri, 05-06-2005, 01:48 AM
samurai champloo or Madlax

r3n
Fri, 05-06-2005, 04:53 AM
yeah was obviously gunna be cowboy bebop. pointless

SK
Fri, 05-06-2005, 07:08 AM
Cowboy Bebop.

yup.

hopeknight
Fri, 05-06-2005, 07:49 AM
Last Exile has a great soundtrack.

Kardiva
Fri, 05-06-2005, 09:56 AM
Cowboy Bebop huh? I haven't even heard anything from it, i guess i'll have to check it out. Is it even a cool anime, i havent seen it either? good animes always have good music

Itachi_y2k5
Fri, 05-06-2005, 09:57 AM
what does Cowboy Bebop sound like again ?!?! the last time i watched that was when i was like 10... hehehe

SK
Fri, 05-06-2005, 10:34 AM
cowboy bebop is the shit, the music is kind of jazzy.

Mut
Fri, 05-06-2005, 11:27 AM
It's... Bebop music. Really, that's what the music is called. Bebop.

Deblas
Fri, 05-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Cowboy Bebop, of course. I especially liked "Real folk blues".

Kardiva
Fri, 05-06-2005, 12:10 PM
everyone is really head over heels for this bebop. Anyone like anything other than bebop?!?! and im still trying to dl some of their songs, anyone have a site where i could get their music from?

Goingin
Fri, 05-06-2005, 01:38 PM
Try www.bebop.com

LobsterMagnet
Fri, 05-06-2005, 02:20 PM
veryone is really head over heels for this bebop. Anyone like anything other than bebop?!?! and im still trying to dl some of their songs, anyone have a site where i could get their music from?

Have you ever heard of Cowboy Bebop? If not I'm really surprised. Probably one of the most influential must see animes out there. Right up there with Evangelian. The funny think I always thought about Cowboy bebop is how the english dub is better then the japanse voices. Mostly because the series draws so much influence from american film noir and spagetti westerns, english voices suit it best.

Y
Fri, 05-06-2005, 03:04 PM
Bebop, far and away. Trigun and Evangelion follow, though not necessarily in that order.

Kardiva
Fri, 05-06-2005, 04:04 PM
no i havent really heard of it before, i guess im kind of an amatuer when it comes to anime. im surprised that you said the english dub is better cause the english versions are usually worse

Assassin
Fri, 05-06-2005, 05:25 PM
bebop was ok...the only song i really liked was the one that plays when spike firt meets vicious. its when he gets thrown out the window and is thinking of the blonde while falling.
anyone know the name of that song?

the best soundtrack imo was .hack sign

Board of Command
Fri, 05-06-2005, 05:36 PM
Melody of Oblivion OP is very good

Y
Fri, 05-06-2005, 05:38 PM
The opening was the weakest piece in that show.

Aeon
Fri, 05-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Madlax end of discussion, everyone that says otherwise needs to download the ost's or better yet watch the series.

Death BOO Z
Fri, 05-06-2005, 08:38 PM
everything bee train does has a supreb sound track: Noir, Hack.sign, Madlax, Rozen Maiden and even Avenger.
also i'd like to note that wolf's rain had amazing music, as well as D.N.Angel, and of course, ghost in the shell: stand alone complex

LobsterMagnet
Fri, 05-06-2005, 10:23 PM
I always thought trigun was overrated. Maybe it was just the stupid over use of chibi humor or the fact that Vash spends most of his time whining about not killing anyone and enforcing his pacifist philosophy on everyone he meets.

Y
Fri, 05-06-2005, 10:35 PM
Great post about anime music there, LobsterMagnet.

Ioz
Sat, 05-07-2005, 04:38 AM
Cowboy Bebop.

DUH!

Kardiva
Sat, 05-07-2005, 12:06 PM
im not so sure about cowboy bebop, i've heard a couple songs that i havent liked that much

NM
Sat, 05-07-2005, 12:09 PM
Cowboy Bebop, Gundam Seed/Destiny, Samurai Champloo. These 3 had some great music, with Seed/Destiny having good openings/endings and Bebop and Champloo with the jazz music they play during the fights.

yallo
Sat, 05-07-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by: Assassin
bebop was ok...the only song i really liked was the one that plays when spike firt meets vicious. its when he gets thrown out the window and is thinking of the blonde while falling.
anyone know the name of that song?

I'm not sure if you are refering to the song that plays when he's falling down, amongst the shattered glass, the song that seems to be sung by little kids or something to that effect.
If so, it's called Green Bird. I can send it to you if you want.

Aside from Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne has really nice music too. Incidentally, both Escaflowne and Cowboy Bebop's music is by the same person - Yoko Kanno. I believe the music for Wolf's Rain is by this same person too, but I've never heard it before, so I don't know if it's good too.

And I like Saiyuki music too. ^^ Heh this is kinda random.

Y
Sat, 05-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by: Kardiva
im not so sure about cowboy bebop, i've heard a couple songs that i havent liked that much

If you haven't watched the series that they play in, don't bother judging them.

Terracosmo
Sat, 05-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Vampire Princess Miyu. Haunting, beautiful, atmospheric, sad & scary. Just the way I like it.
It also fits the show very well, seeing as it has less cheery moments than the majority of the GW newbies have braincells.

Assertn
Sat, 05-07-2005, 02:08 PM
there's only maybe 4 songs i like from cowboy bebop.....good songs though

GhostKaGe
Sat, 05-07-2005, 03:18 PM
cowboy bebop wins hands down

Crows_Kill
Sat, 05-07-2005, 06:11 PM
Anything by yoko kanno is great, bebop, gunsmith cats, macross plus, and escaflowne just to name a few.
For more esoteric tastes, try the soundrtracks to .hack, izcer one, and rahxephon.
For pure jpop- go get the ost's to naruto and full metal alchemist. The pillows from flcl are a good jpop rock band too, with more of a punk feal.
For more melow and orchesrtral sounds, get any of the stuio ghibli soundtracks. Some great classical music snuck in there, but be warned there is some really bad 80's techno in the nausica soundtrack.
The voice actresss Megumi Hayashibara also has alot of albums out, mostly anime themes from the various series she's been in and a few anime covers from other series, but some good original stuff too.

Black ops
Sat, 05-07-2005, 08:30 PM
Cowboy Bebop. I liked Beck cause it was a music based anime. Songs were good too.

Deblas
Sat, 05-07-2005, 11:29 PM
I also liked the SAC and basically any anime music that has a techno beat.

Mae
Sun, 05-08-2005, 09:04 PM
My favorite overall would have to be .hack//sign. Unique style, and it fits really well with the anime. Suprising that noone has mentioned Serial Experiments Lain. I have both the original soundtrack and the remix album and I still listen to them both.

TwisT
Sun, 05-08-2005, 09:37 PM
I liked the soundtrack to Initial D i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif

Board of Command
Sun, 05-08-2005, 10:39 PM
How could I forget? ELFEN LIED! Only one song in Elfen Lied, but there are 2 versions of it. The regular Latin version (OP) is awesome, but the male choir version sucks.

Def_X
Sun, 05-08-2005, 10:48 PM
Hmmm lets see here.
.hack//sign- Great OST
naruto- first ost

.hack is probley my fav thou.

*edit. also liked Chrno Crusade.

Ryllharu
Mon, 05-09-2005, 07:12 AM
It's one of these hands down:

Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
MADLAX
RahXephon
Samurai Champloo
Read or Die (OVA or TV, doesn't matter)

If you notice the music constantly in a series (which you usually don't in these) it stays in the background and fits the scene it's in perfectly. You might notice it all the second or third time through, but you might miss a lot of the music the first pass. More importantly, if there is enough of it and it fit properly, when you hear just the song, you can imagine the scene it was in perfectly. That's why these are it, no question. If you wanted to get really specific its either Bebop or Ghost in the Shell, both of Yoko Kanno's work, so it doesn't really matter.

Kardiva
Mon, 05-09-2005, 12:55 PM
finally someone else who likes the music from samurai champloo.

DDBen
Mon, 05-09-2005, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by: Terracosmo
Vampire Princess Miyu. Haunting, beautiful, atmospheric, sad & scary. Just the way I like it.
It also fits the show very well, seeing as it has less cheery moments than the majority of the GW newbies have braincells.

If you have any interest in the soundtrack for Vampire Princess Miyu Terra let me know I got it with the boxed set for the TV series so I could always rip it and send it your way.

First off I find Cowboy Bebops music overrated I did enjoy the series but I think that other series have had much better use of music.

The best series for music IMO is likely Initial D I find they always set the mood well with the music and I'm not a big techno fan to begin with. Honerable mention in my world goes to Gundam Seed, Full Metal Alchemist and Bleach.

Rei-chan
Mon, 05-09-2005, 04:08 PM
I agree FMA has an amazing soundtrack! Ginga Nagareboshi Gin, Vampire Princess Miyu, Fullmoon Wo Sagashite and Magic knighsts Rayearth are also have good music. Quite hard to pick the best one. But I must say that the opening song in Ah! My Goddess is absolutely beautiful..

Terracosmo
Mon, 05-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by: DDBen

Originally posted by: Terracosmo

If you have any interest in the soundtrack for Vampire Princess Miyu Terra let me know I got it with the boxed set for the TV series so I could always rip it and send it your way.

First off I find Cowboy Bebops music overrated I did enjoy the series but I think that other series have had much better use of music.

The best series for music IMO is likely Initial D I find they always set the mood well with the music and I'm not a big techno fan to begin with. Honerable mention in my world goes to Gundam Seed, Full Metal Alchemist and Bleach.

Thanks for the offer but I have it already (actually the soundtrack was the reason I watched the series, I heard it before seeing it) i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Uchiha Barles
Mon, 05-09-2005, 05:23 PM
Wow! Not even a single vote for the "Noir" soundtrack?! The music in that anime is just plain phenomenal. The music sounded like the anime looked: A gun fight between skilled assasins with backing by higher powers a.k.a. gregorian chant mixed with trance and rock. Music was generally haunting, dark, and intricate, but it had its lighter, child-like (in a possesed doll kind of way) moments which were also interesting. Highly, HIGHLY recommended to any trance, industrial, or rock music fan.

lilphatboi88
Mon, 05-09-2005, 06:17 PM
NOBODY KNOWS WHO I REALLY AM
I'VE NEVER FELT THIS EMPTY BEFORE
AND IF I EVER NEED SOMEONE TO COME ALONG
WHO'S GONNA COMFORT AND KEEP ME STRONG

Board of Command
Mon, 05-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Noir only had one tune, which they played over and over and over and over again. It was a very good tune the first couple times, but after listening to it 60 times throughout the series, especially nearing the end, it gets a bit old.

DDBen
Mon, 05-09-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by: Uchiha Barles
Wow! Not even a single vote for the "Noir" soundtrack?! The music in that anime is just plain phenomenal. The music sounded like the anime looked: A gun fight between skilled assasins with backing by higher powers a.k.a. gregorian chant mixed with trance and rock. Music was generally haunting, dark, and intricate, but it had its lighter, child-like (in a possesed doll kind of way) moments which were also interesting. Highly, HIGHLY recommended to any trance, industrial, or rock music fan.

I was to busy sleeping through Noir to pay any attention to the music sorry.

Uchiha Barles
Mon, 05-09-2005, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by: BOARD_of_command
Noir only had one tune, which they played over and over and over and over again. It was a very good tune the first couple times, but after listening to it 60 times throughout the series, especially nearing the end, it gets a bit old.

There's just no way. If you only paid attention to the music during the fighting then I can see how you'd get that impression. But overall the music was varied and even in the set of battle songs there was dynamic and tempo difference between songs. For those who haven't heard it, here's a good list of tracks to sample and get an idea of what the soundtrack is about:

1)Colosseum (OST II)
2)Power Hungry (OST II)
3)Snow (OST1)
4)Chloe (OST I)
5)Salva Nos (OST I)
6)Le Grand Retour (OST II)
7)Canta Per Me (OSTI)
8)Secret Game (OST II)

This should cover everything the soundtrack is about. I might've missed a few things. As far as the anime itself if you haven't seen it, it requires an attention span greater than what an average kindergardener can offer, but if you have it, then you're in for a treat if you enjoy in depth story. The action wasn't half bad either, and it plentiful.

Y
Mon, 05-09-2005, 08:17 PM
Noir had really, really repetitive music.

And sucked.

intense
Mon, 05-09-2005, 08:20 PM
i say elfen lied...
the one in the last episode when they had this nice piano piece into it. it was great. i wish i could play as well as that.

Board of Command
Mon, 05-09-2005, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by: Uchiha Barles
1)Colosseum (OST II)
2)Power Hungry (OST II)
3)Snow (OST1)
4)Chloe (OST I)
5)Salva Nos (OST I)
6)Le Grand Retour (OST II)
7)Canta Per Me (OSTI)
8)Secret Game (OST II)
I either missed 7 of those songs, or they all sounded the same.

i say elfen lied...
the one in the last episode when they had this nice piano piece into it. it was great. i wish i could play as well as that
I agree, I lied the Elfen Lied music better than Bebop or the likes because I'm not really into jazz. The Elfen Lied music fits the show perfectly, so watching the show allows you to appreciate the music much more.

Uchiha Barles
Mon, 05-09-2005, 09:38 PM
Hah! That list wasn't really targeted at you, but alright, you're a lost cause. Thanks for giving it a shot though. For anyone else that won't be deterred by massive naysaying, try out the songs.

AfroMain
Tue, 05-10-2005, 11:28 PM
Hm, I think that everyone loves the Cowboy Bebop music because it was such a great anime...I mean, the music was good, don't get me wrong, but I think its time to get off Yoko Kanno's metaphorical nutsack. I have only see ONE mention of BECK or FLCL in this whole thread, which is pretty strange considering they have the best music of all anime ever. After all BECK is an anime about rockin' out (which the groups on the soundtrack do well) and as for FLCL...well, in addition to being the best anime ever, The Pillows made an awesome soundtrack for it. Props to Samurai Champloo, though, for the fresh beats and great OP

Mut
Tue, 05-10-2005, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by: AfroMain
After all BECK is an anime about rockin' out (which the groups on the soundtrack do well)...
Some people just don't give a shit about "rockin' out".

AfroMain
Tue, 05-10-2005, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by: Mut@t@

After all BECK is an anime about rockin' out (which the groups on the soundtrack do well)...
Some people just don't give a shit about "rockin' out".

Damn I thought everybody loved to rock out, possibly with their cock out

Crows_Kill
Tue, 05-10-2005, 11:50 PM
Kano is a great compiser. Her stuff varied alot from one anime to the next, from orcehstral, classical, acapela, to rock, techno or jazz. She does not limit herself to one mucisal genre. Thats one reason I like her stuff, it almost never gets old and she has talent for matching her music to the style of the anime that is withou equal.
FLCL's the pilows rocks, even if a japanese blues singer is almost as painful as a japanese rapper. They really have a punk feel and I had to go download their whole library as soon as I heard the forst chords in the fight music from the first episode.
On a related note, nobu's music from final fantasy (almost all of them) might not be the coolest thing o admit to listening, but its great classical and thematic music.
The akira soundtrack also has some great precussion- the drum and voice work together adds up to an awesome combination, which john williams ripped off quite well for i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gifuel of the fates"
The evangelion soundtrack has some good points too, but it's all over the place, some good tracks but some are really bad too. It's a tough call.
I also love the opening theme to Hellsing, but I can't recall the name of the group that does it. Cool groovy blues/jazz. And for once, it's jap-scat that doesnt require a xxx rating.

DDBen
Wed, 05-11-2005, 08:46 AM
Hm, I think that everyone loves the Cowboy Bebop music because it was such a great anime...I mean, the music was good, don't get me wrong, but I think its time to get off Yoko Kanno's metaphorical nutsack. I have only see ONE mention of BECK or FLCL in this whole thread, which is pretty strange considering they have the best music of all anime ever. After all BECK is an anime about rockin' out (which the groups on the soundtrack do well) and as for FLCL...well, in addition to being the best anime ever, The Pillows made an awesome soundtrack for it. Props to Samurai Champloo, though, for the fresh beats and great OP

I did not mention Beck for a few specific reasons. First off the Manga is WAY better then the anime. This is a matter of the anime forcing a ending where there simply wasn't one. Overall I was very disatisfied with the Anime. Its one of those things where its simply a fact that a amazing singer by Japanese standards wasn't the same as one would be by my standards. Understandably as the series progressed the improvement in singing lied directly in the band improving their English. This caused a problem for me as they really didn't change the music to reflect the growth. From the manga I expected when Kyoku(SP) would sing that I would get shivers down my spine and this VERY rarely happened. This series is also completely untranslatable as a majority of it depends on the Engrish being used by the Japanese band attempting to talk to Americans.

Given all of that I like the music I just feel it didn't do its job in the series.

Spawn of Mr.Satan
Thu, 05-12-2005, 05:53 AM
I think that Full Metal Alchemist has some really good music. Different than Cowboy Bebop's, but none the less good

AfroMain
Thu, 05-12-2005, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by: DDBen

I did not mention Beck for a few specific reasons. First off the Manga is WAY better then the anime. This is a matter of the anime forcing a ending where there simply wasn't one. Overall I was very disatisfied with the Anime. Its one of those things where its simply a fact that a amazing singer by Japanese standards wasn't the same as one would be by my standards. Understandably as the series progressed the improvement in singing lied directly in the band improving their English. This caused a problem for me as they really didn't change the music to reflect the growth. From the manga I expected when Kyoku(SP) would sing that I would get shivers down my spine and this VERY rarely happened. This series is also completely untranslatable as a majority of it depends on the Engrish being used by the Japanese band attempting to talk to Americans.

Given all of that I like the music I just feel it didn't do its job in the series.

Ah see, I never read the manga to give me high expectations...but I've gotta wonder how an anime like this, with such a high audio component, works as well (or better) as a manga? Did you have to imagine the music or something? Also, they shows him (koyuki) progressing some, learning to write music and getting a louder voice and all...and wouldn't it be sorta weird if a shiver went down you spine every time you listened to a song?
Anyway, on topic, I forgot to mention that the first 25 eps of Hajime no Ippo have one of the best OP songs I've heard.

Oh and yeah, Yoko Kanno is sweet, I was just hatin. The Real Folk Blues was the first mp3 I ever downloaded

DDBen
Thu, 05-12-2005, 09:39 AM

Ah see, I never read the manga to give me high expectations...but I've gotta wonder how an anime like this, with such a high audio component, works as well (or better) as a manga? Did you have to imagine the music or something? Also, they shows him (koyuki) progressing some, learning to write music and getting a louder voice and all...and wouldn't it be sorta weird if a shiver went down you spine every time you listened to a song?
Anyway, on topic, I forgot to mention that the first 25 eps of Hajime no Ippo have one of the best OP songs I've heard.

Oh and yeah, Yoko Kanno is sweet, I was just hatin. The Real Folk Blues was the first mp3 I ever downloaded

The Manga of course didn't involve singing usually at best you were given a song title and occasionally some lyrics however the actions are really shown through everyone's reactions. This left them with the ability to write the music for the anime.. Also not that the Beck chapters are VERY long often making them over 50 pages a chapter where as something like bleach or Naruto is around 20 pages. As a result each episode was about a chapter of the manga but even with that they were cutting some things. The worst caste being the end where they took the entire American tour and made it seemed more like a happy ending then the chaotic mess it really was.

I found at times when reading the manga you would get shivers however in the anime that was limited to Greatful sound for me atleast and I just didn't feel the storytellnig was captured quite as well as it was in Manga form..

All of that being said I do like Beck a lot and I did download the OST i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

rix117
Thu, 05-12-2005, 01:49 PM
i gotta say initial d has the best music

basey44
Thu, 05-12-2005, 08:44 PM
how bout FLCL, i just got through watching that and while i must say wtf, the music was pretty good

darkshadow
Fri, 05-13-2005, 06:14 AM
gundam seed destiny, and some of the naruto themese ( like sadness and sorrow ( i just love piano solo's like that ( and the ignited piano in destiny) or strong and strike and raising fighting spirit), but i would say i like the gundam seed destiny alot more then the naruto themes

r3n
Sun, 05-15-2005, 07:34 AM
my favourite opening is from last exile, that song rocks; cloud age symphony, and the opening of wolf's rain is very catchy too. GITS:SAC 1&2 have great soundtracks, particularly like the tracks by gabriela robin. also really like one or two tracks off the first naruto soundtrack such as orochimaru theme, and the avenger theme.