PDA

View Full Version : Naruto Premiere

Zinobi
Tue, 05-03-2005, 10:20 PM
hey who knows about the premiere of Naruto on Cn or WB or Fox (iono which)

SKY_SO_BLUE
Tue, 05-03-2005, 10:48 PM
I believe it will be on Cartoon Network around.. oh, i guess Summer or Fall?

Turkish-S
Wed, 05-04-2005, 02:18 PM
why do u want to know?? they will rape the wole series with the foices and censure.

LobsterMagnet
Wed, 05-04-2005, 03:10 PM
It's going to premiere on september. Don't know the date though.

Madell
Wed, 05-04-2005, 03:57 PM
Maybe in the first time in historie they won't rape the anime, It was just a dream i had.

SKY_SO_BLUE
Wed, 05-04-2005, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by: turkish-shikamaru
why do u want to know?? they will rape the wole series with the foices and censure.

Hahahah yeah that is true!

Considering most anime here the people who does the dubbing really DO a poor job. Perhaps their are a few anime with good dubbing...

UchihaGenius
Wed, 05-04-2005, 11:41 PM
Well, it can't be as bad as what happened to One Piece.

Y
Wed, 05-04-2005, 11:45 PM
Hey there were a lot of new and informative posts in this thread.

God, what possesses people to feel that "lololll DUBBING SUXX" is a worthwhile contribution to a thread?

Sam98034
Thu, 05-05-2005, 02:48 AM
Lance Bass does voices doesn't he? It'd be the shit if he did the voice for someone cool like Kakashi or Itachi.

drag0nf1am3
Thu, 05-05-2005, 02:51 AM
is it tru that they are turning itachi into a girl and that one character in the begining of the series(i forgot her/his name) on team 7 first mission to a girl....One character makes sense since he was very feminine but not itachi

Jessper
Thu, 05-05-2005, 03:47 AM
Haku? If they did half the conversation Naruto had with him would be useless...

Itachi wouldn't even look the part, they would have to redraw every scene with him ect...

All in all I would say your rumors are false as a guess, but who knows?

Y
Thu, 05-05-2005, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by: drag0nf1am3
is it tru that they are turning itachi into a girl and that one character in the begining of the series(i forgot her/his name) on team 7 first mission to a girl....One character makes sense since he was very feminine but not itachi

You just made some stuff up and asked us if it was true. Gee, I wonder?

DarthEnderX
Thu, 05-05-2005, 04:28 AM
Is it true they are changing Sasuke and Sakura's names to Trevor and Rebecca? Thats a rumor I heard.

relevasius
Thu, 05-05-2005, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by: Sam98034
Lance Bass does voices doesn't he? It'd be the shit if he did the voice for someone cool like Kakashi or Itachi.

I would vomit blood if a former N-Sync'er voiced anyone, nevermind Kakashi or Itachi. (shudders)

Shirikage
Thu, 05-05-2005, 08:10 PM
Okay, time for a little retard control.

Originally posted by: turkish-shikamaru

Exactly what the hell are "foices"? And you should look up words you're going to use in a dictionary before you use them. "Censure" and "censor" are not the same thing.

Originally posted by: SKY_SO_BLUE
Considering most anime here the people who does the dubbing really DO a poor job. Perhaps their are a few anime with good dubbing...

You must only watch stuff like Rave Master, Duel Masters, Shaman King, and the like--4Kids stuff, and the crap they show on the first hour of Toonami. Do you watch anything shown on Adult Swim? Or buy any commercial DVDs of anime that is not shown on television? Bad dubbing is the exception, not the rule, and tends only to happen to anime series being picked up specifically to air on television. Which gives cause for concern in regards to Naruto, admittedly, but there are equal signs for optimism.

Yeah, it'd be shit alright...

Originally posted by: drag0nflam3, DarthEnder
*some retarded bullshit*

False rumors intended to stir up drama are not amusing. Thank you, please drive through.

Originally posted by: relevasius
I would vomit blood if a former N-Sync'er voiced anyone, nevermind Kakashi or Itachi. (shudders)

It's not going to happen. Do you people even know anything about the way the industry works?

Now, for a little info that's not made up or rampant BS:

Naruto was licensed by ShoPro, which is Shogakukan. Now, think fast: what North American anime and manga company does Shogakukan own?

Viz.

And what company is ShoPro formally merging with prior to the start of the Naruto dub project?

Viz.

So which arm of the company is most likely to be working on Naruto?

That's right! VIZ.

Now...here's a tougher question.

What studio does Viz use for dub work?

Give up? Ocean.

So what voice actors will be in the Naruto dub?

The ones who work for Ocean.

Expect to hear Naruto's cast voiced by the likes of Michael and Paul Dobson, Scott McNeil, Brian Drummond, Terry Klassen, Dave Ward, Ted Cole, Kelly Sheridan, Moneca Stori, and Richard Cox.

Do NOT expect to hear them voiced by Lance Bass.

Thank you, that is all.

Crows_Kill
Fri, 05-06-2005, 12:08 AM
I'm all for Mark Hamil to voice oro- just imagines the jokers voice coming out of oro- could be one of the few times an english voice would be better than the original actor.
That and you need to get the guy who does the voice for optimus prime to voice kakashi, seriously.
And you need casey casem to voice pakun. Yeah......

Sam98034
Fri, 05-06-2005, 03:08 AM
oh yeah I almost forget. I was only kidding when I said that it would be the shit if Lance Bass did one of the voices. It would be the shiznit.

Thunder_Pants
Fri, 05-06-2005, 10:01 AM
i really don't understand what people are talking about when they say Naruto is going to go through censoring hell, honestly from what i've heard it's most likely to go onto Cartoon Networks Adult Swim, which is TV14 programming, i don't think i have seen a single thing in Naruto that would not meet the TV 14 programming, it's not like there are oddles and oddles of blood everywhere with people being decapated every 15 minutes

as it is i can only think of one scene that might get edited and that would be where Haku gets impaled by kakashi

Psyke
Fri, 05-06-2005, 10:08 AM
I maybe a bit ignorant on this bit, but do TVs in the U.S have Dual Sound? Because where I'm from, most of the anime on TV have 2 sound channels, one in the original Japanese and the other in English/Mandarin, so we can choose which language we'd prefer and pick accordingly. Personally I'd always listen to the Jap version as they always sound better. Almost all of the animes shown on TV have subtitles. Same thing with all other Japanese/Korean drama serials.

Itachi_y2k5
Fri, 05-06-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by: DarthEnder
Is it true they are changing Sasuke and Sakura's names to Trevor and Rebecca? Thats a rumor I heard.

LOL, that would sound S*** trevor-kun LOL

OmnislashXX
Fri, 05-06-2005, 12:33 PM
Naruto finally meets one enemy the Nine tails Chakra can't beat.... An American TV executive!!

Seriously, I wanna watch the first episode on CN, just because I respect Naruto enough to see exactly how it's gonna be raped.

Itachi_y2k5
Fri, 05-06-2005, 12:43 PM
Cartoon Network is shit they should stick it on toonami ! they should of kept toonami as CNX it sounded better

EDIT: fine, w.e

Mut
Fri, 05-06-2005, 12:47 PM
Itachi_y2k5, either spell out the entire word, or don't say it at all. Censoring out a word with a bunch of asterisks is retarded.

Cal_kashi
Fri, 05-06-2005, 01:16 PM
i think the big question should be, how or even, are, they going to translate dattebayo for the dubbing?
every time that naruto says that, will he say "seriously, dude!" instead? seems to be a good fit, but would be akward.

Y
Fri, 05-06-2005, 03:03 PM
His sentences will be longer in English. The character have very generic mouth movements so lengthening his sentences a word or two won't be hard.

Sam98034
Fri, 05-06-2005, 05:27 PM
I thought toonami was apart of CN? Atleast it was, wasn't it?

Deblas
Fri, 05-06-2005, 06:21 PM
I thought toonami was apart of CN? Atleast it was, wasn't it?

Yea, It is/and still part of CN. I still say it would have been better to put it in Adult Swim. Maybe then, the anime won't be raped.

SKY_SO_BLUE
Fri, 05-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by: SKY_SO_BLUE

You must only watch stuff like Rave Master, Duel Masters, Shaman King, and the like--4Kids stuff, and the crap they show on the first hour of Toonami. Do you watch anything shown on Adult Swim? Or buy any commercial DVDs of anime that is not shown on television? Bad dubbing is the exception, not the rule, and tends only to happen to anime series being picked up specifically to air on television. Which gives cause for concern in regards to Naruto, admittedly, but there are equal signs for optimism.

Actually I've I DON'T watch those kind of show, but I do watch Adult Swim and their dubbing are more better than those that are showing on Toonami's block. Also I've seen a lot of animes on DVD with Dub that are quite good (Cowboy Bebop, Berserk, etc..) So i considered you try not to criticized and jumped to conclusions about me. -umkay.

Although I am just worried about hows the dubbing gonna be towards Naruto since they messed up in DB sagas, Gundam Series, and other series out there.

mage
Fri, 05-06-2005, 08:11 PM
The only dub i've seen that has been any good is Full Metal Alchemist, though the voices of Ed and Al both kind of suck, the rest are pretty damn good. A lot of people say Cowboy Bebop is better as a dub than in japanese, but I still think it is pretty shitty. Naruto WILL be censored. I know for 100% fact they will cut the scenes with peope getting shit stuck through them (ie ep 132), or lots of blood (ie kakashi chidori-ing Haku), and since someone brought it up, it seems likely that they will make Haku a girl because having a boy that looks like a girl is obviously unfit for "Christian American TV."

Ioz
Sat, 05-07-2005, 04:18 AM
Who fucking cares I'm never going to watch it on american t.v. networks any way, and if any of you do you should be ashamed of yourself.

GoatLord
Sat, 05-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by: Itachi_y2k5

Originally posted by: DarthEnder

LOL, that would sound S*** trevor-kun LOL

No no, Sasuke is Rebecca.

On a more serious note, I'm not all that worried. Viz is the same guys that did Inuyasha, and the dub wasn't that bad. All we have to really worry about are some stupid sounding attack names. I can picture Sasuke using 'Thousand-Birds' or something, and it's just not as cool. Oh well, at least they probably won't rhyme.

XanBcoo
Sat, 05-07-2005, 06:04 PM
hopefully if they do translate the moves, chidori will be "lightning edge", 'cause that wouldn't sound SO bad. I'd rather hear that then a misprounounciation of "chiDORi" or something.

Also, what's with this rumor about Haku bein' changed into a girl. First off, if they did that, it'd only be on Toonami, and not the dvds. Secondly, he only LOOKS like a girl. He's not some sort of weird transvestite. There's nothing risqué about his character except for the one scene where Naruto's flirting w/him. He's just feminine, so I don't think there will be much of a problem.
But I guess we'll see.

Y
Sat, 05-07-2005, 06:13 PM
If you think "Thousand Birds" sounds gay, realize that to Japanese speakers Chidori probably sounds gay.

SK
Sat, 05-07-2005, 06:46 PM
it will be gay on toonami.

DB_Hunter
Sat, 05-07-2005, 07:01 PM
Perhaps they should do it like Kenshin... I mean they kept the original attack names in that right?

XanBcoo
Sat, 05-07-2005, 09:06 PM
Yeah...but most of them were horribly butchered.
I have haunting memories of English VAs verbally raping the Amakakeru Ryu No Hirameki.
But otherwise I really liked the dub of Kenshin. I was actually hoping bang zoom would dub Naruto...
Too bad I guess.

Z3TA
Sun, 05-08-2005, 07:48 AM
It will not be on Adult Swim.... For the following link, its third-party but I have seen it on a Cartoon Network Press Release and it says the same exact thing....

http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsroom/pr/0,20812,1028852,00.html

On Monday, Feb. 21, Cartoon Network will launch a national healthy lifestyles initiative targeted to kids 6-14 entitled GET ANIMATED, a comprehensive on-air, online, print and off-channel campaign. The branded program will tap the networks roster of original cartoon characters and distinctive 3D on-air environment to communicate positive lifestyle messages through multiple PSAs to air in Cartoon Networks morning, afternoon and prime time dayparts.
~
Naruto: Twelve years ago, a nasty demon decimated a village but was contained in a baby who is now a student at a ninja academy. But this antisocial boy does not know that he is possessed. As he evolves as a ninja, his inner demon gives him more and more powers. To become a master ninja, he must learn to control his powers without destroying those around him. The series is scheduled to air in third quarter.

One of my favorite things about Naruto is the music.... Ill just sit here and wait for the gay rap music T_T

Arsinoi
Sun, 05-08-2005, 10:10 AM
(HI! 1st post! )

I definately believe that the Americans are going to perform major changes on Naruto. The music is one thing, the names the other etc etc.
However I think what other countries are going to do to it once they obtain it as well. For example in Greece, where I live, they consider anime to be just for kids and they call it cartoon. And if a certain channel I know of obtains Naruto they are going to rape it 1,000 times more than the Americans! Firstly they are probably going to take an original song like Haruka Kanata or GO!!! and turn it into Greek, so it's going to be sth like " Oh! Naruto we love you, you and your friends fight evil, for love, you have good friends, bad guys are afraid of you" etc etc (goes to a corner and throws up)

I mean they did that to One Piece which has been airing there since 2002 (2 years prior to America). Not to mention that they will surely change almost all of the names of the major characters in order to sound appealing to Greek kids. (Ex. In One Piece: Luffy->Drake, Nami->Bonnie, Zoro->Blackjack, Usopp->Gus). Imagine Naruto being named Jack or Ninja Boy... @_@ And Kakashi turning into Harry... Sakura...Suzy and Sasuke...Mark!..............
Of coursethe title changes to sth like "Ninja Village" "the Ninja Hero" and other crappy names they usually put. (For One Piece it was "Drake and the Lost Treasure Hunt")

(Should I also mention that they ALWAYS cut the program to put childrens' songs like "I learn the colours, the numbers, the letters. And CANDY GIRLS!!!! WaaaaaaaH!)

So you should be content they are not making THAT major changes. -__-

Psyke
Sun, 05-08-2005, 10:57 AM
That sounds so bad if I were there I'd rather not get Naruto at all....... Some how I feel that more countries are regconising that anime isn't just cartoons anymore though. I always correct my friends when they refer to an anime as a cartoon.

"Anime isn't cartoon!"

Arsinoi
Sun, 05-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Yeah! I do that too. My friends understand, some of them watch anime as well. But when my grandma says "What are you watching? That stuff is for little kids" it just gets on my nerves and I usually reply: "No it's not! Do you want me to show you one with murders and blood or one where the characters are having sex?" She gets shocked and forget it until next time. ^_^

XanBcoo
Sun, 05-08-2005, 11:45 AM
I did an essay on the relationship between cartoons and anime for my creative writing class. Got a 96 on it. I get what you're sayin. Damn, that sucks about the Greek One Peice. Anyway...

Here's what I don't think will happen to Naruto on CN
1. Name changes
2. Music Changes
3. Major changes to characters (Haku being a girl)

Here's what probably will happen
1. Minor edits due to violence/length
2. Technique name changes (ex: lightning edge, art of the doppleganger *puke*, etc)
3. A dub that no one will like

Because the series was licensed by ShoPro, that means there's a large chance of it getting dubbed by the Ocean Group. Besides series like Hamtaro and Zoids, their mature anime (Inuyasha, and now Zatch Bell) has pretty much been "unraped". 4Kids has NOT licensed Naruto. 4Kids is responsible for Americanizing anime (like One Peice, Shaman King, Yugioh, etc), and completely changing stuff because they feel their target audience is children. So far, ShoPro has not given any signs that this will happen to Naruto. I feel that they will deliver the show in the most untainted quality they can, save for the changes I mentioned. Now that will suck. The actual quality of the dub, however, is something we're gonna have to deal with. Honestly I can't see any of the Ocean Group voices being anyone on Naruto.

Y
Sun, 05-08-2005, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by: Psyke
That sounds so bad if I were there I'd rather not get Naruto at all....... Some how I feel that more countries are regconising that anime isn't just cartoons anymore though. I always correct my friends when they refer to an anime as a cartoon.

"Anime isn't cartoon!"

Anime = cartoons.

RasenDori
Sun, 05-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by: Y The Alien

"Anime isn't cartoon!"

Anime = cartoons.

i sooooo agree. an anime is animated and made for tv, movies, video or just entertainment in general. do try to seperate anime from cartoons or manga from comics... it only makes you like a leetist dick. unless you, psyke, can tell me what an anime can do that a cartoon cant, you cant say that an anime isnt a cartoon

Psyke
Sun, 05-08-2005, 08:29 PM
Anime to many countries and people now stand as a genre on it's own. Even department stores selling VCDs/DVDs have their own dedicated anime sections which are different from the cartoon section which is obviously full of kiddy stuff like Disney/Warner Bros. To me the Matrix spinoff the "Animatrix" helped a lot of people to realise that anime is not only for kids, and how big the anime franchise is internationally.

Sure there are people who cannot see the difference and anything animated to them is a cartoon or show for kids, but we of course know better.

RasenDori
Sun, 05-08-2005, 08:39 PM
dont get me wrong... what im about to say may seem a little heated... but its not:

are saying that a cartoon is kiddy stuff and anime is more mature? tell me then... how do we lable family guy, aqua teens, clerks etc etc? what if some pure american made action cartoon that chalenges norms and isnt geared towards children hits the streets? will we label that as anime? how about somethings that completely geared to children coming out of japan (pokemon)? is that labeled a cartoon dispite its origin? where is the line draw clearly between cartoon and anime? the examlpe youpresent is merley a store trying to make its life easier by insuring that a kid doesnt pick up something that may upset parents. all and all... anime if anything is a sub genre of animated features (ie. the cartoon)

Psyke
Sun, 05-08-2005, 09:02 PM
I guess it's a matter of culture. From where I live, there's a very distinct difference in anime and cartoons. Anime to us are perhaps kiddy at times, but more often than not aimed at teenagers at least. Recently more and more adults are getting into anime, but this maybe due to the generation difference...... the people who once watched Astroboy are now parents of children who watch Pokemon. Thus, in the eastern counties, Japan/HK/Taiwan/Singapore, we usually classify the animated shows to 2 major categories cartoons and anime. There are stores which only sell anime, and of course you won't find any disney stuff in there. Anime to asians has a slightly different meaning to perhaps western counties.

What I'm saying is that different people from different cultures have different perspectives, and what I've said is just my perspective from an asian point of view. Dakara, anime wa cartoon ja nai~ : )

Y
Sun, 05-08-2005, 09:27 PM
RasenDori is correct.

Anime is not a genre and it is classified as a cartoon.

RasenDori
Mon, 05-09-2005, 09:46 AM
I guess it's a matter of culture. From where I live, there's a very distinct difference in anime and cartoons. Anime to us are perhaps kiddy at times, but more often than not aimed at teenagers at least. Recently more and more adults are getting into anime, but this maybe due to the generation difference...... the people who once watched Astroboy are now parents of children who watch Pokemon. Thus, in the eastern counties, Japan/HK/Taiwan/Singapore, we usually classify the animated shows to 2 major categories cartoons and anime. There are stores which only sell anime, and of course you won't find any disney stuff in there. Anime to asians has a slightly different meaning to perhaps western counties.

What I'm saying is that different people from different cultures have different perspectives, and what I've said is just my perspective from an asian point of view. Dakara, anime wa cartoon ja nai~ : )

believe it or not... but thats the american perspective on things too, so its not just a cultural differance. to most people the word "cartoon" comes with the negative conotation of being kiddy when that doesnt cover the entire spectrum.

LobsterMagnet
Mon, 05-09-2005, 11:48 AM
When classifying something as anime I think it really comes down to the artstyle. Althought that is just a definition of a subgenre within a larger category. In the broadest possible context anything animated is a cartoon. Although most people associtate cartoons with the classic image of tom and jerry or the early loony toons shorts which usualy involve some sort of exagerated violence.

This has developed a negative connotation to the term cartoon since most americans see it as something that only appeals to a certain age group. Most interesting thing I find is that the best way to classify is something is an anime is by it's art style. Alot of American cartoons are starting to become heavily influenced in their artsyle featuring more anime influenced art. Some examples are simple and easy to point out like the teen titans although recently there have been a few genre benders which are really pushing the limits of defining eastern and western styles of animation. On this note I present you with the Avatar. The avatar is is an original cartoon currently airing on Nickolodeon. This show stands in direct contrast to everything else thats been produced by Nickolodeon since it features a complete anime art style as opposed to simply borrowing anime art elements.

http://www.tvtome.com/AvatarTheLastAirbender/

Here's a link if you want read more information about it. As you can see the art is a faux anime and it features much more action then the typical Nickolodeon production. Although at it's core it is very light hearted and feels much more watered down then most other anime despite the fact it is designed to directly compete with them. Take a look at the link. I'm curious to hear your opinions.

RasenDori
Mon, 05-09-2005, 12:50 PM
interesting... that seems NOTHING like what i would expect from nickeloden

LobsterMagnet
Mon, 05-09-2005, 02:32 PM
I know, I was pretty surprised when I first saw it to.

XanBcoo
Mon, 05-09-2005, 05:31 PM
I watched a couple eps.
I like it

Zinobi
Mon, 05-09-2005, 06:27 PM
its pretty kool i like the storyline

XanBcoo
Mon, 05-09-2005, 06:33 PM
So is avatar "anime" or "cartoon"? It reminds me of anime, but it is indeed very lighthearted and clearly aimed at children. - still cool though.

I think Naruto's premeir on CN might be received in much the same way as all the anime showing now. Some people will watch, some people won't. I just hope it comes off as nicely as it did in the subs.

SKY_SO_BLUE
Mon, 05-09-2005, 07:11 PM
How about this! Anime= Japanese Cartoon and Manga= Japanese comic

Simple isn't it?! =D

Y
Mon, 05-09-2005, 07:13 PM
Yeah, exactly.

Note that only we use those words to refer to exclusively japanese media. The japanese call all animated media anime and all graphic novels manga.

nightscreamer20
Tue, 05-17-2005, 01:56 AM
"May 08, 2005

News on the Naruto dub from Anime Insider

It says that Shopro will air Naruto in September, and the first DVD will be released in December. Although the Toonami version will be editted, the DVDs will supposedly be purely uncut. Shopro's reason for putting it on Toonami and not on Adult Swim is to boost the show's popularity.

Things that will be cut out or editted are as follows:

Any blood that flows out of a character (except for when Naruto stabs his hand).
Zaku's exploding joints in episode 40.
Sasuke's throat full of needles in episode 16.
Any cussing.

Things that will not be cut out or editted are as follows:

Naruto stabbing his hand.
The Sexy no Jutsu.
Blood that does not flow out.

Also, all of the ninja moves will keep their original Japanese names! (Such as: Kagebunshin no Jutsu, Sexy no Jutsu, etc.) "

- From http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/s...nServlet/showid-18558/ (http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/ShowMainServlet/showid-18558/)

-Thank you and have a nice day.

XanBcoo
Tue, 05-17-2005, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by: nightscreamer20

Also, all of the ninja moves will keep their original Japanese names! (Such as: Kagebunshin no Jutsu, Sexy no Jutsu, etc.) ".

YEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!

Jurojin
Tue, 05-17-2005, 01:03 PM
No exploding joints? awwww ;_; Oh well, as long as the DVD's are uncut I'll be happy.

Wait, how are they going to handle Gaara making those Rain ninja's explode?